PDA

View Full Version : Oculus rift DK2 Setup Guide

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

rafffel
07-05-2015, 20:40
This is just a copy and past from the original foru of pcars and very usefull post from matt2380:

This is a post I've taken from the ENORMOUS Oculus Rift Discussion (http://forum.wmdportal.com/showthread.php?8341-Oculus-Rift-Discussion) thread. Hopefully it should be more accessible and helpful here. :cool:

Updated 2 April 2015
If new builds are out when you read this then you should check the most recent posts below to see if there are any discussion of changes. I will try to keep this first post reasonably up to date with new suggestions and findings.

Setup your Rift
- Read the full Oculus Getting Started Guide (http://static.oculus.com/sdk-downloads/documents/Oculus_Getting_Started_Guide_0.5.0.pdf) and the DK2 Quick start guide (http://static.oculus.com/sdk-downloads/documents/Oculus_Rift_DK2_Instruction_Manual.pdf)
- Install the latest Oculus Runtime (https://developer.oculus.com/downloads) for your operating system (latest is v0.5.0.1-beta)
- Update the firmware as described in the user guide (latest is v2.12)
- Customise your settings in the Oculus Configuration utility, including the advanced section to ensure you have the correct IPD setting
- Make sure the Positional Tracking Camera isn't too high compared to your eyes, otherwise you will start very low in the cockpit
- If you are having issues then have a look around on the Oculus Developer forums, there is lots of helpful info
- This detailed setup video may also be helpful http://youtu.be/LFCUogEG7tM (thanks Joe Moore)

Setup your Rift for pCars
- put Rift in extended mode (pCars is not currently fully operational in direct mode)
- Rift does not need to be primary monitor, set it as secondary monitor to make life much easier
- rotate the Rift to portrait position via your Nvidia/AMD control panel
- pCars will automatically detect the Rift and select it's maximum refresh rate, even if the graphics menu suggests otherwise (this can be tested with Ctrl-s when using v-sync)
- some say that matching your standard monitors refresh rate to your rift helps prevent judder, but this had no impact on my system
- some say that turning off aero (windows composition) helps prevent judder, but again this had no impact on my system

Consider using the B lenses
- I've done some side-by-side testing (with one A and one B lens) and found I actually prefer the B lenses - even though I have completely normal vision. I still use the A "Eye cups" setting in the Oculus Config Utility. Your mileage may vary.
- There is increased clarity towards the sides of the B lenses. This is both very functional and very comfortable. It feels much more natural to look around with your eyes more and not need to turn your head as much, eg glance to your mirror and see it clearly rather than turn your head to look directly at it. This is gives the impression of increased "functional" fov. I like it a LOT!
- The B lense don't protrude towards your eyes as much and therefore you can reduce the eye relief setting without your eye lashes touching the lenses (unless your nose gets in the way) which provides a real FOV increase.
- Also, the "screen-door-effect" is significantly reduced. At first I thought this was because I'd left the plastic lens protectors on the B lenses (a tip I saw on the developer forums) but in the end I decided to remove the protector for slightly increased clarity and I still found the screen-door-effect was reduced compared to the A lenses. This gives the image a smoother look, it's harder to see pixels and therefore a little easier to feel presence.
- However, the B lenses may give you the impression that the distance is blurrier and it's harder to focus on it. But it turns out this is somewhat of an illusion. I realise now that when using the A lenses I had been focusing quite a bit on the actual pixels in an attempt to "lock" my eyes on a distant object, and since the pixels are less obvious with the B lenses you can't rely on them as a focal object, and therefore you can get the impression that the distance is blurrier and it's harder to focus on it. However, when you use one of each lense to compare them directly there is actually no difference in the blurriness of the image! It does maybe feel a little easier for your eyes to feel like they focus on the distance with the A lenses, but that's because you're focusing on the pixels (the screen door effect) not the distant object and not because it's any clearer. So, the blurriness in the distance is simply due to the low resolution of the DK2, not the B lenses, it's just more obvious when using the B lenses. I am happy to accept this trade off. But again, your mileage may vary.

Setup pCars Steam launch options
- using -skipcrowds can significantly improve fps
- using /USERNAME yourusername /PASSWORD yourpassword will save you needing to type these in which is difficult with the Rift
- there are no steam launch options necessary to use the rift, it is automatically detected
- you can use -novr to disable the Rift detection (or just turning it off also works)
- you can disable dynamic VR predication with -vrnodynp
- the Rift doesn’t currently appear to work with DX9, so you’re out of luck with a DX9 card

Setup pCars
- delete your profile and graphicsconfig file after each new build is installed and restart your system to ensure maximum compatibility
- make sure you are running the latest Weekly build in the Steam Beta tab (Junior builds may not have full Rift support yet).
- the menus are not currently in 3d, only the actual game, so it can be useful to disable the Rift and load the game to edit your settings, eg controller, graphics, track, car, weather, etc, then exit pCars and restart the Rift and restart pCars
- you can actually learn to navigate the menus quite well from inside the rift, you left eye sees most of the left half of the screen, while the right eye sees most of the right side
- alternatively, when you finish a race and go back to menus, simply click the "off" button on top of the rift. The display will then jump back to full single screen on your monitor. Turn the rift on again when you start a race. (thanks flibberflops)
- another alternative is to use OBS (https://obsproject.com/) to mirror the Rift display to your desktop, some have found that this drops their fps, others love it
- if you set the graphics settings using your normal monitor then you’ll only be able to select the resolution and refresh rate of your standard monitor. However, as mentioned above, pCars will automatically, detect the Rift and select it's maximum refresh rate, even if the graphics menu suggests otherwise (this can be tested with Ctrl-s when using v-sync)

Setup pCars controller settings
- it's very important to map a button on your keyboard or wheel to “Centre VR Headset”
- also map buttons to the seat up/down, forward/back controls and use them to adjust your eye position from the default if needed

Your frames per second (fps) MUST always be higher than your refresh rate of 75
- this ensures smooth tracking and prevents nausea
- your fps will drop significantly in the DK2 compared to your normal monitor, perhaps by 25% or more, so to get 75fps in the Rift you'll need at least 100fps constant on a standard 1080 monitor
- you can view your fps in game with either Ctrl-s or using software such as RTSS (with OSD coordinates adjusted to x300 & y500)
- drop graphics detail to achieve 75fps at all costs
- 75fps is much more important than graphics detail!
- got it? ;)

Experiment with Vsync on/off, capping fps at 75, and simultaneously using a 75fps cap and Vsync
- v-sync off (internal tracking movements can be stuttery/juddery, while positional tracking is smooth, see here (http://forum.wmdportal.com/showthread.php?8341-Oculus-Rift-Discussion&p=758338#post758338))
- v-sync on (can cause lag and unnatural world movement)
- fps cap of 75 and v-sync off (can provide excellent very-low-lag tracking with tearing, however I get almost no tearing if I use 32bit instead of 64bit)
- fps cap of 75 AND v-sync on (can provide less lag than using vsync alone with no tearing)
- a higher cap (eg 80 or 100) actually creates blur and stutter, so stick with 75!
- You can use either the vsync in the game or via your graphics card control panel, the ingame vsync is clever enough to disable itself if you drop below your refresh rate (thanks Griff)
- you can cap your fps with software such as Nvidia Inspector or RTSS built into MSI Afterburner
- you can view your fps in game with either Ctrl-s or using software such as RTSS (with OSD coordinates adjusted to x300 & y500)

Setup camera settings
- Go to options > camera > movement and set the following:
- High Speed Shake... default is no, it's quite bumpy if you use with the Rift
- World movement... default is 50, 0 locks eye position relative to the horizon, 100 locks eye position relative to the car position (like in LFS)
- G-force effect... default is 50, try 0 to turn off or 100 to exaggerate
- show helmet = (automatically disabled when Rift detected)
- helmet depth of field = (automatically disabled when Rift detected)
- helmet look to apex = (automatically disabled when Rift detected)
- helmet leaning = (automatically disabled when Rift detected)
- camera leaning = (automatically disabled when Rift detected)

Setup pCars with reasonably low graphics settings to ensure 75fps, for example
Visual FX:
- Post processing = on
- Lens flare = on
- Sun flare external and internal = full
- Bloom = on
- Heat haze = off
- Detailed Grass = off
- HDR mode = photographic
- Global Specular Irradiance = on
- Exposure Compensation = 1.0
- Rain drops = yes
- Vignette = yes
- Particle level = low
- Particle density = low
- Crepuscular rays = no
- Stretched Headlight Reflections = yes
- Stretched Lamppost Reflections = yes
Fidelity:
- Resolution = ignore, pCars automatically sets 1920x1080 at max refresh rate
- Windowed = no
- Texture resolution = high
- Texture filter = 16 (you could drop this to 8 but it usually has very little fps impact)
- Vsync = see section above for more info
- AA = off
- FXAA = off
- SMAA = off
- Reflections = low
- Environment map = low
- Car detail = high
- Track detail = high (though there seems to be more pop-up in the Rift compared to the same setting on a normal monitor)
- Shadow detail = off
- Motion blur = off
- Render ahead = 1
Hardware:
- VR Predict = 1.0 (doesn’t seem to make any difference on my system)
- Use shared memory = no (unrelated to rift)
- Jitter Tweak = 4.0 (not specifically related to the Rift)

Increase graphics settings once you are sure you can always maintain 75 fps
- add either MSAA or DS2X (MSAA is better on vertical jaggies, DS2X is better with lines on road, some people have reported that MSAA might be causing a "slight movement of the world for one or two frames" issue, but this might be fixed by now)
- increase Reflections, Environment map and car detail (but you might not notice a difference in the Rift)
- increase particle level and density (but you might not notice a difference in the Rift)
- 2560x1440@75hz does not seem to provide improvements to image quality like it does in LFS and Elite Dangerous, perhaps because 1920x1080@75Hz is forced automatically

Don't worry, more DK2 updates and optimisations are on the way
- I know its hard, but please try to be patient :)

Any suggestions? I'll try to keep things updated as we go along. :p

In addition i add you can make a shortcut from main folder of pcars on desktop and launch it from rift screen you can have 30fps gain (thanks to Joe Moore for spot it)

Shango
07-05-2015, 21:23
Is all of this still relevant to the final build?

My rift isn't being detected by PC, set up the following

Setup your Rift for pCars
- put Rift in extended mode (pCars is not currently fully operational in direct mode)
- Rift does not need to be primary monitor, set it as secondary monitor to make life much easier
- rotate the Rift to portrait position via your Nvidia/AMD control panel
- pCars will automatically detect the Rift and select it's maximum refresh rate, even if the graphics menu suggests otherwise (this can be tested with Ctrl-s when using v-sync)
- some say that matching your standard monitors refresh rate to your rift helps prevent judder, but this had no impact on my system
- some say that turning off aero (windows composition) helps prevent judder, but again this had no impact on my system

Was just aiming to get a picture of some sort in the rift before tweaking other settings, is the above enough to have a screen in the rift?

Also if the below still applies it might be pointless anyway since my main monitor is a 60hz TV

Your frames per second (fps) MUST always be higher than your refresh rate of 75
- this ensures smooth tracking and prevents nausea
- your fps will drop significantly in the DK2 compared to your normal monitor, perhaps by 25% or more, so to get 75fps in the Rift you'll need at least 100fps constant on a standard 1080 monitor
- drop graphics detail to achieve 75fps at all costs
- 75fps is much more important than graphics detail!
- got it?

Is this going to be a problem for me?

Thanks

rafffel
07-05-2015, 21:34
Is all of this still relevant to the final build?

My rift isn't being detected by PC, set up the following

Was just aiming to get a picture of some sort in the rift before tweaking other settings, is the above enough to have a screen in the rift?

Also if the below still applies it might be pointless anyway since my main monitor is a 60hz TV

Is this going to be a problem for me?

Thanks

i didn't re-read the guide completly for final build.

you say my rift wasn't detected? in game or in nvidia/amd panel? if it's case make sure you're if is power on when you setting you're screen ;)

Ctrl-s isn't working anymore in final build and i need to set maximum refreshr ate manually in option->visual screen for make sur 75hz will be activated

for the second part yes it's very important to have a minimum of 75fps everytime if you don't wan't any sad lag or some shit.

you can have some tearing when you have over 75fps but it's differents movement is smooth.
ou can enable v-sync or not it's mostly depending of you're hardware and need to be testing for have best experience.

Shango
07-05-2015, 22:26
Thanks for reply, The rift is detected by Nvidia and its set up as extended, it works fine for other VR apps that use extended mode. when i launch PCars it just loads up as normal on monitor/tv as normal, no changes.

At what point should it load in the rift? the whole gui and menus etc or just when you get out on track?

For the 2nd issue is that true for all VR apps? I find other VR apps in extended mode quite juddery tbh.

Baj
07-05-2015, 22:47
Thanks for reply, The rift is detected by Nvidia and its set up as extended, it works fine for other VR apps that use extended mode. when i launch PCars it just loads up as normal on monitor/tv as normal, no changes.

At what point should it load in the rift? the whole gui and menus etc or just when you get out on track?

For the 2nd issue is that true for all VR apps? I find other VR apps in extended mode quite juddery tbh.

Make sure you have the latest oculus rift runtime installed. I had the same problem as my rift worked with all my other games but not PCars.

kusk0r
07-05-2015, 23:16
Just got the Limited edition today and I have to say I am a bit disappointed with DK2 implementation. Not much seems to have changed since November when I had a chance to test the game with the DK2. Shadows are not working properly so you need to turn them off and the world scale seems a little small. Have there been any discussion in the WMD forums about any plans to expand DK2 support? If I am missing something withe the shadows and world scale feel free to correct me.

Vantage9
08-05-2015, 04:40
I do not understand how we are supposed to navigate menus with the Rift...?

It auto-detects my DK2 and launches the game in the rift, but the only way to see the entire menu screen is to take off both lenses and remove the headset.... which is not an option.

If you press the power button on the Rift it goes back to the screen, but then when you turn the Rift back on it stays on the screen (despite loading the actual race in "Rift" mode, so it is re-detecting it).

What gives?

Ruszek83
08-05-2015, 05:35
I do not understand how we are supposed to navigate menus with the Rift...?

It auto-detects my DK2 and launches the game in the rift, but the only way to see the entire menu screen is to take off both lenses and remove the headset.... which is not an option.

If you press the power button on the Rift it goes back to the screen, but then when you turn the Rift back on it stays on the screen (despite loading the actual race in "Rift" mode, so it is re-detecting it).

What gives?

You can't navigate menu with RIFT...yet. You need a 3rd party software like OBS. It is relatively easy to setup.
So if you are in the menues take your rift of and use OBS, and as soon you want to drive put your RIFT on.

Vantage9
08-05-2015, 15:59
Thanks for the reply, I have OBS already for other games, so that should work fine.

Also, as alternative workaround, if you have Vorpx, you can use it to "zoom-out" the menus, but you have to deactivate vorpx before each race.

Aldo Zampatti
08-05-2015, 16:09
Raffel, does the VRDIRECTMODE command line already make it to the public builds?
If so, I think it might worth the effort to explain those (with the mirror and normal mode) on the original post of yours!

thanks!

ctd
08-05-2015, 16:23
Last time I tried (a couple of days ago) direct mode was not implemented yet. But I've read it will be in a patch not so far ahead. When that happens it will be a lot easier to navigate the menus.

About shadows this is also planned to be fixed in a patch not far ahead.

Aldo Zampatti
08-05-2015, 16:25
it was mentioned that those switches would make it the first few patches. I could not test it'cause my DK2 it is not working at the moment

MysterG
08-05-2015, 16:29
Worth stickying I think. At least for the moment.

Aldo Zampatti
08-05-2015, 18:00
Keep in mind that Open Broadcaster Software WILL reduce the performance of you system while driving. VR DirectMode with mirroring should be ready very very soon (if not already, don't have any precision on this) and that will be much faster and less laggier :

Aldo Zampatti
08-05-2015, 21:11
Tried to find how I can add a signature but I'm not having any loss of performance that I can notice tried with and without but probably because of my PC specs.

Corsair Obsidian Series 750D
1050W Corsair Pro Gold 1050HX
Corsair H105 Liquid CPU Cooler [with 240mm Radiator]
16GB DDR3 1600MHz (8GBx2 DIMMS) Corsair Vengeance Pro
ASUS R.O.G. MAXIMUS VII HERO (Z97 Chipset)
Intel® Core i7-4790K (4.00-4.40GHz)
GeForce GTX 780 (3GB) GDDR5 EVGA SC ACX
1TB 7200RPM [3.5”] (SATA III - 6GB/s)
20GB Samsung 840 Evo Solid State Drive

In nVidia should be less evident. But in my case, OBS loads the CPU quite a lot (15/20%) thus reducing the available cycles to process frames and physics.
But your system is quite high-end. So it might have less impact.

Try to measure it if you can

kusk0r
08-05-2015, 22:24
Any suggestions on settings affecting world scale? Everything seems a bit small for me. You can check how big your real fov is and how big hoour hands and wheel are by lifting up/putting down the rift.

ctd
08-05-2015, 22:31
Signatures is added in Control Panel -> My settings (on the left) -> Edit signature.

Also you will have much more answers to your questions if you edit that rude username of yours.

Sutty
09-05-2015, 00:35
Hey guys, thanks for all the information, got my dk2 and obs running no problems.
The only thing I can't work out atm is how to get my mouse cursor to work in the menus.
I have the monitor as my main screen and dk2 as my second screen.
Do I need dk2 as my main screen to be able to use the mouse cursor within the menus?

Forget it guys, worked it out, my assumption was correct, dk2 as main screen, monitor as second screen.

mvoosten
09-05-2015, 17:59
Are there any sweetfx presets specificly for the Oculus that enhance sharpness and DOF lime with Assetto Corsa?
If so a link would be appreciated.

MorciXL
09-05-2015, 20:20
I just made a Sweetfx preset for Project Cars with DK2. Works teally well.
BIG DIFFERENCE!
Im going to upload in a while.

ferretfing
09-05-2015, 23:05
I just made a Sweetfx preset for Project Cars with DK2. Works teally well.
BIG DIFFERENCE!
Im going to upload in a while.

Upload would be appreciated - thanks in advance :cool:

Vantage9
10-05-2015, 00:58
Having an issue where the shadowed textures are WAY too dark and all messed up on only my left eye in the DK2. Probably a preset issue, anyone have this problem?

sylas
10-05-2015, 02:48
This is the nature of DK2 right now. I have tried most the games available today, and really the only race game that has better Rift implementation is LFS. But once the menus are readable, then this blows all race games out of the water by far. You can use a program called Virtual Desktop, and choose the option to clone Rift image to Monitor. This will kill some performance because your video card is drawing the same image twice. But if you're not using any Anti-Aliasing, the cloned image would be about the same hit on FPS as having AA on. You may not see a hit at all. From my experience, and in my own opinion, this game is the killer racing app for Rift right now. Excellent performance after doing some tweaks. BTW, I have a 75FPS cap in Nvidia Inspector, No Vsync, running GTX670 in SLI. The only thing bugging me now is shadows....they look wrong in the 3d landscape. But then again, I just got this and there's so much to experiment with.

MorciXL
10-05-2015, 07:43

Copy all files to your Project CARS folder, and if you are using a 64 bits system, rename reshade64.dll to dxgi.dll....
If you are using a 32 bits system, rename reshade32.dll to dxgi.dll

I totally recommend have AA on MSAA, and SMAA on Ultra.. DSX2, and above worked bad on Dk2 in my case getting more jaggies on the image, so i tried with Nvidia Inspector 4xSGSS and now image is really good.

Enjoy!

Pd.- If you want (moderator) to add the file to the first post of this thread.. would be helpful for some other people.

MorciXL
10-05-2015, 10:37
I forget to tell that i also made a preset for Buttkicker Gamer 2, using SimCommander 4 (simvibe).
If anyone is interested i can export it.
Game changes totally with the DK2 Sharp preset, Jack tweaks, giving a great FFB, and adding Simvibe through Buttkicker Gamer 2..
Sensations are really great driving now!

SilentChill
10-05-2015, 12:28

Copy all files to your Project CARS folder, and if you are using a 64 bits system, rename reshade64.dll to dxgi.dll....
If you are using a 32 bits system, rename reshade32.dll to dxgi.dll

I totally recommend have AA on MSAA, and SMAA on Ultra.. DSX2, and above worked bad on Dk2 in my case getting more jaggies on the image, so i tried with Nvidia Inspector 4xSGSS and now image is really good.

Enjoy!

Pd.- If you want (moderator) to add the file to the first post of this thread.. would be helpful for some other people.

Mine is crashing using the SweetFX you have linked to ??

It errors right after the SweetFX splash screen

No idea whats up with it, works fine once I take it out of the directory though.

MorciXL
10-05-2015, 13:33
Mine is crashing using the SweetFX you have linked to ??

It errors right after the SweetFX splash screen

No idea whats up with it, works fine once I take it out of the directory though.

In my case works well during im playing on dk2. If i play on TV, with sweetfx ON, it crashes always with same message at the second race loading screen..

Rift Racer
12-05-2015, 15:38
It's a bit too sharp for my tastes, makes everything look jaggy IMO.

RaceNut
12-05-2015, 17:04
Anyone having world-scale issues:
Check your IPD in the Oculus Utility; games reference that and if it is off by much, it can influence perceived scale. Otherwise, the scale seems correct from my experience.

The Shadows are not currently rendered correctly but, a fix is in the works. Turn to OFF for now in Visual settings.

Also, if you experience a crash or lockup during Pcars loading using the DK2, be sure to try again as I found that many times, the issue cleared up after another try or two. Be sure that you are using the latest Oculus Runtime. If the issue persists, you may try turning off some of the less important visual settings. If the issues persist still, contact support and be prepared to provide crash or debug logs so they can better assist you with a resolution.

Rift Racer
12-05-2015, 17:48
I'm having a weird issue with the DK2 maybe someone will be able to help....

I have a 60Hz monitor (TV) as primary display via DVI, and DK2 connected via HDMI to my GTX 980. The game uses all GPU power runs perfect, super smooth, looks amazing etc. (except for slight headtracking lag) but ONLY when i'm using in-game vsync, if I turn off in-game vsync, and try to use a framerate limiter, or nVidia CP vsync my GPU usage drops to around 50-60% and I get 40-60 FPS.

I've tried every combination of nvidia vsync / adaptive / dropping visual quality settings/ limiting FPS with different programs but the only way pCARS will use my full GPU power with the DK2 is when I turn on v-sync from the visuals menu in-game.

Some people say that games sometimes fall back to their other monitor refresh rate (60hz) which seems like is happening sometimes it seems to hover around 59-60 FPS, but I don't have a 75Hz monitor to try and see if that is happening, and I can't completely disable my other monitor cos then it's impossible to start the game on the DK2.

Maybe completely (un)related, I've also got this exact same problem in Assetto Corsa when racing with a lot of AI or many online, but no amount of fiddling with settings or enabling in-game vsync in AC fixes it.

At first I thought it must be CPU bottlenecking due to the number of players, but CPU usage seems fine and doesn't the FPS doesn't change when overclocking. Also thought the GPU might be faulty as I didn't play any other games to test, I just have racing sims (AC, iRacing), but having got GTA V recently my PC plays it fine at full GPU usage all day long, and AC plays fine using all GPU all day long without the DK2 so it must be related to the rift somehow.

To be fair, this wouldn't actually be a problem at all in pCARS if the tracking wasn't a tiny bit laggy using in-game vsync, and it'll probably be fine when direct mode comes, but i'd like to know what's causing it nonetheless.

MorciXL
12-05-2015, 18:35

I totally recommend have AA on MSAA, and SMAA on Ultra or High. DSX2, and above worked bad on Dk2 in my case getting more jaggies on the image, so i tried with Nvidia Inspector 4xSGSS (or at least 2xSGSS) and now image is really good.
Have you tried this?

I have this done, i get zero jaggies on the image.

ammonthenephite
13-05-2015, 03:09
I forget to tell that i also made a preset for Buttkicker Gamer 2, using SimCommander 4 (simvibe).
If anyone is interested i can export it.

That would be great! I tried to use the auto wizard, but every time I activate it in game it deactivates the pedals to my g25 wheel. So if you don't mind uploading what you have for simvibe that would be awesome!

GeckoTH
13-05-2015, 03:47
Having an issue where the shadowed textures are WAY too dark and all messed up on only my left eye in the DK2. Probably a preset issue, anyone have this problem?

Yeah, I'm having the same issue... It's almost as if the sun is in different positions for each eye. Dark shadows in one eye, bright white in the other.

MorciXL
13-05-2015, 08:43
Yeah, I'm having the same issue... It's almost as if the sun is in different positions for each eye. Dark shadows in one eye, bright white in the other.

Shadows = OFF till a future fix of shadow render.

Here is my Sim Commander File.. Attached you can find it.
Works pretty well with Buttkicker Gamer 2.. you can feel all the road bumps, textures, and everything.
Let me know if it works for you too.

SimCommander 4 - Buttkicker Gamer 2 Preset for Project CARS (by MorciXL)
https://mega.co.nz/#!Nc4zRCzL!6gq37rQZ4QoNnEhbF0uZqbqewyGUHPVqTTFseYPJWIU

mvoosten
13-05-2015, 09:38
I totally recommend have AA on MSAA, and SMAA on Ultra or High. DSX2, and above worked bad on Dk2 in my case getting more jaggies on the image, so i tried with Nvidia Inspector 4xSGSS (or at least 2xSGSS) and now image is really good.
Have you tried this?

MorciXL, thanks for the sweetfx profile. Works great but as mentioned, there are a bit more jaggies then before. You mentioned Nvidia Inspector. I'm new to this tool.. Do you have your settings for SGSS in that tool set in combination with the MSAA setting in pCars or do you have AA and SMAA in pCars disabled and instead used Nvidia Inspector SGSS setting?

MorciXL
13-05-2015, 09:45
I have eliminated all the jaggies doing this.

I totally recommend have AA on Pcars options: MSAA, and SMAA on Ultra or High.

Nvidia Inspector 4xSGSS (SPARSE GRID SUPERSAMPLING) (or at least 2xSGSS) and now image is really good.

And yes, i made this making combination.

Khyber GT
13-05-2015, 15:23

everything is already jaggy at 1080p...

Thomas Heineman
13-05-2015, 15:38
I'm having a weird issue with the DK2 maybe someone will be able to help....

I have a 60Hz monitor (TV) as primary display via DVI, and DK2 connected via HDMI to my GTX 980. The game uses all GPU power runs perfect, super smooth, looks amazing etc. (except for slight headtracking lag) but ONLY when i'm using in-game vsync, if I turn off in-game vsync, and try to use a framerate limiter, or nVidia CP vsync my GPU usage drops to around 50-60% and I get 40-60 FPS.

I've tried every combination of nvidia vsync / adaptive / dropping visual quality settings/ limiting FPS with different programs but the only way pCARS will use my full GPU power with the DK2 is when I turn on v-sync from the visuals menu in-game.

Some people say that games sometimes fall back to their other monitor refresh rate (60hz) which seems like is happening sometimes it seems to hover around 59-60 FPS, but I don't have a 75Hz monitor to try and see if that is happening, and I can't completely disable my other monitor cos then it's impossible to start the game on the DK2.

Maybe completely (un)related, I've also got this exact same problem in Assetto Corsa when racing with a lot of AI or many online, but no amount of fiddling with settings or enabling in-game vsync in AC fixes it.

At first I thought it must be CPU bottlenecking due to the number of players, but CPU usage seems fine and doesn't the FPS doesn't change when overclocking. Also thought the GPU might be faulty as I didn't play any other games to test, I just have racing sims (AC, iRacing), but having got GTA V recently my PC plays it fine at full GPU usage all day long, and AC plays fine using all GPU all day long without the DK2 so it must be related to the rift somehow.

To be fair, this wouldn't actually be a problem at all in pCARS if the tracking wasn't a tiny bit laggy using in-game vsync, and it'll probably be fine when direct mode comes, but i'd like to know what's causing it nonetheless.

There is a differnt codepath if vsync is off ingame that isnt working well. It will be fixed in the next dk2 update.

For now the only way to get a laggfree experience is to run nvidia vsync forced off and vsync on ingame. Try that with fps limiter. However I am hoping to see the directmode asap :)

Rift Racer
14-05-2015, 20:55
There is a differnt codepath if vsync is off ingame that isnt working well. It will be fixed in the next dk2 update.

For now the only way to get a laggfree experience is to run nvidia vsync forced off and vsync on ingame. Try that with fps limiter. However I am hoping to see the directmode asap :)

Oooh, forced off in nVidia CP and on in-game, sounds promising, i'll give that a try shortly.

I have kinda gotten used to the slight lag until i'm in a race and moving my head frequently and quickly back to to straight ahead I notice it much more.

ammonthenephite
15-05-2015, 07:42
Here is my Sim Commander File.. Attached you can find it.
Works pretty well with Buttkicker Gamer 2.. you can feel all the road bumps, textures, and everything.
Let me know if it works for you too.

SimCommander 4 - Buttkicker Gamer 2 Preset for Project CARS (by MorciXL)
https://mega.co.nz/#!Nc4zRCzL!6gq37rQZ4QoNnEhbF0uZqbqewyGUHPVqTTFseYPJWIU

Cool, thanx! I'll let ya know how it works!

Naz
15-05-2015, 10:42

So much this!

I somehow missed the Nvidia Inspector frame capping suggestion when reading these threads before .. I just tried it and all my Head tracking lag is gone. Thanks a lot guys, very much appreciated !

I do get slightly better results with V-sync off in game as well as off in the NVidia CP, but there you go.

Just did a 16 car, 10 lap race around Bathurst starting at 7am with a 60x time compression to simulate a full day and night of racing .... finished the race just as the sun was coming up again ... what a delight.

Loving DK2 in both PCars and Assetto Corsa now ... and with more improvements to come in both, how lucky are we !!

:)

TrevorAustin
15-05-2015, 22:38
Thanks for the reply, I have OBS already for other games, so that should work fine.

Also, as alternative workaround, if you have Vorpx, you can use it to "zoom-out" the menus, but you have to deactivate vorpx before each race.

How do you do that? Exactly what I want to do!

Rift Racer
16-05-2015, 17:05
So much this!

I somehow missed the Nvidia Inspector frame capping suggestion when reading these threads before .. I just tried it and all my Head tracking lag is gone. Thanks a lot guys, very much appreciated !

I do get slightly better results with V-sync off in game as well as off in the NVidia CP, but there you go.

Just did a 16 car, 10 lap race around Bathurst starting at 7am with a 60x time compression to simulate a full day and night of racing .... finished the race just as the sun was coming up again ... what a delight.

Loving DK2 in both PCars and Assetto Corsa now ... and with more improvements to come in both, how lucky are we !!

:)

I found it gave me pretty bad vertical tearing in one eye, especially when moving my head up and down, not much when going left to right, and although it does cure the tracking lag, I can't deal with tearing, i'd rather have the slight lag with vsync on in-game, let application decide in nvidia CP, and 75 fps framelimiter via riva.

Thomas Heineman
16-05-2015, 19:46
I found it gave me pretty bad vertical tearing in one eye, especially when moving my head up and down, not much when going left to right, and although it does cure the tracking lag, I can't deal with tearing, i'd rather have the slight lag with vsync on in-game, let application decide in nvidia CP, and 75 fps framelimiter via riva.

This is also my experince. Tear is bad. But it is lagfree ;) There is no way to have a lagfree tearingfree no judder experience with the dk2 and pcars as of now, that I have found as of yet.

Please get back here if you do...

Portrait tearing in the dk2 is baad...it makes left and right eyes see differnt frames, instead of seeing them sliced.
(The dk1 was in landscape mode, and I never had these problems)

However, in direct mode the lagg is less and when synced to 75 hz there is no tear...but there is no way to use directmode ....yet.

CrustyA
17-05-2015, 16:21
I got tired of constantly switching video settings for the DK2 and a regular screen (for replays/recording) so I setup a simple vbscript to prompt me whether to load the graphicsconfigdx11.xml with the VR settings (for now only differences: refresh=74hz, vsync=on,shadows=off)

I made two copies of the graphicsconfigdx11.xml like below. Adjust settings in game for VR and save it with a different name, then do the same for a monitor setup.

the vbscript asks which config you want to use :
and then it just copies/renames the appropriate xml config file depending on which button was clicked and replaces graphicsconfigdx11.xml ahead of launching the game

You'll of course have to adjust the filepath variable as needed:
save the code below to a text file named <filename>.vbs and double-click to run

Option Explicit
Dim filepath
filepath="F:\<username>\Documents\Project CARS\"
Dim result
result = msgbox("Launch pCars with VR Settings or not?",vbYesNoCancel,"Project Cars Launcher")
Dim Fso
Set Fso = WScript.CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
Dim wsh
Set wsh=WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
'#####################################################
if result = 6 Then
launchVR()
elseif result = 7 Then
launchNoVR()
End if
sub launchVR
Fso.CopyFile filepath & "graphicsconfigdx11-VR.xml", filepath & "graphicsconfigdx11.xml", True
wsh.Run "steam://rungameid/234630"
end sub
sub launchNoVR
Fso.CopyFile filepath & "graphicsconfigdx11-NoVR.xml", filepath & "graphicsconfigdx11.xml", True
end sub

Rift Racer
17-05-2015, 16:40
I got tired of constantly switching video settings for the DK2 and a regular screen (for replays/recording) so I setup a simple vbscript to prompt me whether to load the graphicsconfigdx11.xml with the VR settings (for now only differences: refresh=74hz, vsync=on,shadows=off)

I made two copies of the graphicsconfigdx11.xml like below. Adjust settings in game for VR and save it with a different name, then do the same for a monitor setup.

the vbscript asks which config you want to use :
and then it just copies/renames the appropriate xml config file depending on which button was clicked and replaces graphicsconfigdx11.xml ahead of launching the game

You'll of course have to adjust the filepath variable as needed:
save the code below to a text file named <filename>.vbs and double-click to run

Option Explicit
Dim filepath
filepath="F:\<username>\Documents\Project CARS\"
Dim result
result = msgbox("Launch pCars with VR Settings or not?",vbYesNoCancel,"Project Cars Launcher")
Dim Fso
Set Fso = WScript.CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
Dim wsh
Set wsh=WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
if result = 6 Then
launchVR()
elseif result = 7 Then
launchNoVR()
End if
sub launchVR
Fso.CopyFile filepath & "graphicsconfigdx11-VR.xml", filepath & "graphicsconfigdx11.xml", True
end sub
sub launchNoVR
Fso.CopyFile filepath & "graphicsconfigdx11-NoVR.xml", filepath & "graphicsconfigdx11.xml", True
end sub

Just a heads-up, pCARS recognises the rift and sets 1080p / 74Hz refresh rate anyway, regardless of your resolution settings.

I leave mine at 1440p @ 60hz with vsync on constantly in pCARS menu and when I use the rift I get perfectly smooth vsynced 75fps.

Nice stuff with the shadows and vsync tho, could also help alot of people with lower end systems that need to turn some graphics settings down when using the rift to maintain 75fps that they wouldn't have to do otherwise on a monitor to maintain 60 fps.

CrustyA
17-05-2015, 17:01
Just a heads-up, pCARS recognises the rift and sets 1080p / 74Hz refresh rate anyway, regardless of your resolution settings.

I leave mine at 1440p @ 60hz with vsync on constantly in pCARS menu and when I use the rift I get perfectly smooth vsynced 75fps.

Nice stuff with the shadows and vsync tho, could also help alot of people with lower end systems that need to turn some graphics settings down when using the rift to maintain 75fps that they wouldn't have to do otherwise on a monitor to maintain 60 fps.

Ok, yeah i wasn't aware of the auto-detecting the rift and setting refresh accordingly :yes:. I could probably leave vsync on for both use cases, so its mainly just a temporary workaround until the shadows are fixed in VR mode. After that i believe my settings should be able to remain the same regardless of Monitor/DK2 use.

TrevorAustin
17-05-2015, 21:48
Right.

Rift Racer
17-05-2015, 22:03
Right. Got fed-up with the PC crashing on me and the fiddling to get the Rift working. So I tried I-racing again, Oh my God, a different league of support!!! Auto-detected, full on screen 3D menus, HUD while driving, this is how the rift should be supported. PC is sooooo far behind. And the less complicated cleaner graphics actually look better in the Rift than PC ones for now. Plus a rock solid 75 frame capped, with no drops at any point.

So same as pCARS except no stupid 3D menus then? I'd rather navigate menus on my monitor TBH, as it becomes a pain in the rift, and as much as I say the resolution is enough for racing, it's just not enough for reading text easily. The only game with really useable rift menus that i've played is LFS due to the variety of setup options for placing the menu closer / further away from you, and even that is a pain to navigate too.

Also, HUDs don't really work well in my opinion in the rift, the motec style approach of pCARS for the HUD I much prefer, just wish it was consistent throughout all the cars.

I much prefer pCARS graphics to iRacing, even in the rift, pCARS looks awesome, whereas iRacing just looks, .....well, like iRacing.

whitedragon101
17-05-2015, 23:21

I hope you don't mind I saw your posts and you seem to have good working knowledge of Project cars in VR.

I am picking parts for a gaming PC. I don't have a DK2 but I have the consumer version CV1 in mind for the build.

The newly announced specs for the commercial Oculus Rift are a res of 2160 x 1200 which is 25% higher than DK2 but its at 90hz. Can your 980 drive this game on high at 90+fps at that resolution?
I can't find any reliable benchmarks to see if any single GPU can get comfortably over 90fps on high at that res.

Do you know how serious project cars are about VR? Do you think they will have a polished interface and optimised performance etc for the release of the commercial Rift in Q1 2016? Or is VR an afterthought for them?

Thanks

ps
I'm also not sure about SLI. I'm thinking that VR SLI might take a while to become reliable and might not get implemented in Project Cars at all and standard SLI introduces latency.

Rift Racer
18-05-2015, 00:11
I hope you don't mind I saw your posts and you seem to have good working knowledge of Project cars in VR.

I am picking parts for a gaming PC. I don't have a DK2 but I have the consumer version CV1 in mind for the build.

The newly announced specs for the commercial Oculus Rift are a res of 2160 x 1200 which is 25% higher than DK2 but its at 90hz. Can your 980 drive this game on high at 90+fps at that resolution?
I can't find any reliable benchmarks to see if any single GPU can get comfortably over 90fps on high at that res.

Do you know how serious project cars are about VR? Do you think they will have a polished interface and optimised performance etc for the release of the commercial Rift in Q1 2016? Or is VR an afterthought for them?

Thanks

ps
I'm also not sure about SLI. I'm thinking that VR SLI might take a while to become reliable and might not get implemented in Project Cars at all and standard SLI introduces latency.

Hi, no probs, will try and answer as best I can, but I'm far from expert in pCARS and couldn't say what the devs might or might not do, however the short time i've been playing pCARS and lurking about the forums it appears the VR dev is fairly active and is working on a few things at the moment coming in a patch very soon, so it looks like they are on top of things and it's not just a complete afterthought.

As for building a PC, I would wait till the next generation of cards, the 980ti or something similar. I think Oculus stated minimum specs is a GTX 970 for the consumer version. I couln't say whether the 980 could run @ 90fps at that resolution, as we currently have no way to change the resolution when using the rift, and it works best vsynced at 75fps, so can't really test the 90 fps thing either.

However I will say this, with my settings my 980 just about copes with mostly medium / high settings with a full grid of cars in under particularly taxing weather conditions. Although most of the time i'm playing my card is using only 60% max to keep 75fps, but there are times when it will use 98-99% to keep 75 fps in rain with alot of cars / certain tracks etc.

There is going to be so many developments and advancements in graphics cards / drivers / optimizations / VR SLI and even better understanding of VR development for devs between now and Q1 2016, so best bet would be just to sit back and wait and see what we get...

beginner
18-05-2015, 14:47

Thanks

ps

I think a whole lot is going to depend on optimization. I havn't sat down and properly tweaked pcars for the dk2, but at 1080 and 75fps I needed to start turning things down for smooth play, interested to see how direct mode improves this in the near future, but that res can't see myself hitting 90fps on high, definitely not comfortably the way things are currently, I'd be happy if the CV1 got me there. The oculus 'recommended specs' are:

NVIDIA GTX 970 / AMD 290 equivalent or greater
Intel i5-4590 equivalent or greater
8GB+ RAM

My current specs are:

asus maxmius 5
32gb dominator 1866
3770K @ 4.4ghz
Titan X

bahwh89
18-05-2015, 14:57
I just installed the latest oculus rift runtime....

mercedes servicing (http://www.servicingstop.co.uk/mercedes_service.html)

whitedragon101
18-05-2015, 15:27
I think a whole lot is going to depend on optimization. I havn't sat down and properly tweaked pcars for the dk2, but at 1080 and 75fps I needed to start turning things down for smooth play.......
My current specs are:

asus maxmius 5
32gb dominator 1866
3770K @ 4.4ghz
Titan X

Wow. Are you saying you can't stay at 75fps @ 1080p on high on a Titan X?

beginner
19-05-2015, 01:57
Wow. Are you saying you can't stay at 75fps @ 1080p on high on a Titan X?

Not with everything just maxed out. I can run it like that across 3 monitors, but not in the DK2, the head movements get really juddery. There's a few things I need to look into that might give a bit of a performance bump up, sort of just waiting for direct mode and go from there though.

Swolern
19-05-2015, 08:43
Not with everything just maxed out. I can run it like that across 3 monitors, but not in the DK2, the head movements get really juddery. There's a few things I need to look into that might give a bit of a performance bump up, sort of just waiting for direct mode and go from there though.

Something is definitely wonky with PCars currently. Im running a Titan X @1500mhz /4930k @ 4.8ghz and at 2560x1440 I get clear sky races 105-140fps on all ultra settings MSAA, motion blur off. Weather takes a a big hit with thunderstorms 60-70fps @ 1440p with same settings. The weird thing is i tried the res down to 1920x1080 and i get near the same framerate as 1440p. This is on my 1440 Predator monitor.

PCars was juddery for me the first time i ran it also. Not sure if it was a re-install of the NV drivers or the new Runtime drivers that fixed it, but runs butter smooth for me know with the DK2.

beginner
21-05-2015, 14:32
Something is definitely wonky with PCars currently. Im running a Titan X @1500mhz /4930k @ 4.8ghz and at 2560x1440 I get clear sky races 105-140fps on all ultra settings MSAA, motion blur off. Weather takes a a big hit with thunderstorms 60-70fps @ 1440p with same settings. The weird thing is i tried the res down to 1920x1080 and i get near the same framerate as 1440p. This is on my 1440 Predator monitor.

PCars was juddery for me the first time i ran it also. Not sure if it was a re-install of the NV drivers or the new Runtime drivers that fixed it, but runs butter smooth for me know with the DK2.

After the new runtimes I did a bit of a demo with a couple mates and I thought I noticed a difference, had a few beers though so who knows.. You running max settings for DK2???

Ciziu
28-05-2015, 18:53
Does anyone know, if there is an option to turn off those camera tracking shots at the beginning and, especially, the end of the race? They make me dizzy quite instantly.

STINGER_LP
05-06-2015, 10:49
I'm looking forward for the consumer version of Oculus Rift too, specifically for racing and Project CARS in particular. So it would be great to hear some thought from SMS guys on their priorities for VR optimization of Project CARS. If it's in the task-list and VR support is not on peripheral of further development then I would like to know is there any plans for something like additional UI elements/widget for VR specifically (assuming the current issues with standard UI (menus, etc.) will be fixed)?

I mean using monitors and additional software and hardware right know we can put on additional displays a lot of additional info about the car and/or the race data (RPM counter, tire condition, track map, leaderboard, splittimes etc.), but using VR headset we won't be able to see all that, so we need that equivalents in virtual environment. And I think that VR widgets should not be like onscreen UI elements fixed on the sides of field of view. That should be implemented within car interior, like LCD dash on the main console, or a laptop on the front passenger seat like engineers do in real life while testing the car setup.

That's just my thoughts but would be awesome if some of the devs will clarify some of that.

DobboDK2
09-06-2015, 10:12
I'm looking forward for the consumer version of Oculus Rift too, specifically for racing and Project CARS in particular. So it would be great to hear some thought from SMS guys on their priorities for VR optimization of Project CARS. If it's in the task-list and VR support is not on peripheral of further development then I would like to know is there any plans for something like additional UI elements/widget for VR specifically (assuming the current issues with standard UI (menus, etc.) will be fixed)?

I mean using monitors and additional software and hardware right know we can put on additional displays a lot of additional info about the car and/or the race data (RPM counter, tire condition, track map, leaderboard, splittimes etc.), but using VR headset we won't be able to see all that, so we need that equivalents in virtual environment. And I think that VR widgets should not be like onscreen UI elements fixed on the sides of field of view. That should be implemented within car interior, like LCD dash on the main console, or a laptop on the front passenger seat like engineers do in real life while testing the car setup.

That's just my thoughts but would be awesome if some of the devs will clarify some of that.

Not to bothered about having stuff on screen as this would break the immersion for me I do think audio information from the pits/race engineer would work 10X better just the important stuff laptimes, tyre temp/wear, fuel, lap number, delta times etc....

EsEs
10-06-2015, 06:23
Hi All my first post, just got a GTX 980ti and decided to try pcars with the rift (DK2)

my problem is the game runs great when it works(driving in the rain is the best rift experience I had since a got the dk2), but every now and again it judder even with a constant 75fps ( I had to put a fps cap on with NVidia inspector, otherwise it runs at 95fps with ok settings) the only way for me to fix this is with a restart, then it will run perfect, when the judder is there its right from the start, so it cant be a performance drop from heat.

so my question is what cause it to judder with 75fps, what I think is that its something to do with 75hz of the rift, it looks like the game doesn't see the rift as 75hz every time, I am using Extended mode with the rift as my secondary monitor. Running OBS as well, but no difference when I run without it.

TrevorAustin
10-06-2015, 07:03
I've never had that issue, try running with vsync on and them set fcaps to 74 in the startline options.

EsEs
10-06-2015, 07:05
will give that a shot, thanks

STINGER_LP
11-06-2015, 06:28
Not to bothered about having stuff on screen as this would break the immersion for me I do think audio information from the pits/race engineer would work 10X better just the important stuff laptimes, tyre temp/wear, fuel, lap number, delta times etc....
Have you read my concept of having in-car displays (either on main console or an opened laptop on the passenger seat)?

menidi
18-06-2015, 08:24
Hi everyone - I just bought the rift dk2 and was trying to make it work for pcars. So far have not been able to run a race. I was hoping someone can give me few pointers on what am I missing.

When I run the demo of the oculus rift tool, I get black screen breaks. Would it caused by low fps? The frame rate is not stable at 75 fps, is droping to 45-50 and back again to 70.

For pcars:
When I enter into the first screen - I have the following issues:
1. I cannot see the full screen but only the centre - like it is zoomed in
2. There is also an overlap with the two lenses - while in the demo of the oculus rift tool it seems fine

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

(running Oculus Runtime for Windows V0.6.0.0-beta)

TrevorAustin
18-06-2015, 08:31
Hi everyone - I just bought the rift dk2 and was trying to make it work for pcars. So far have not been able to run a race. I was hoping someone can give me few pointers on what am I missing.

When I run the demo of the oculus rift tool, I get black screen breaks. Would it caused by low fps? The frame rate is not stable at 75 fps, is droping to 45-50 and back again to 70.

For pcars:
When I enter into the first screen - I have the following issues:
1. I cannot see the full screen but only the centre - like it is zoomed in
2. There is also an overlap with the two lenses - while in the demo of the oculus rift tool it seems fine

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

(running Oculus Runtime for Windows V0.6.0.0-beta)

You need to wait until the race starts, all menus and everything else until then are 2d. Hopefully updated soon. Oh, and 0.6 doesn't work properly, you need 0.5.01 or whatever the previous one was.

menidi
18-06-2015, 09:56
Will give it a try - thanks

Can you share the 0.5.01 runtime? its no longer available on the oculus download site.

TrevorAustin
18-06-2015, 13:33

Can you share the 0.5.01 runtime? its no longer available on the oculus download site.

I've got it on my game PC at home, but no way of sharing it as I don't use any sharing services.

grimdanfango
18-06-2015, 14:13

Just go to the usual download page: https://developer.oculus.com/downloads/
...and change the search criteria at the top to "Platform: PC" and "0.5.0.1-beta"

All the old versions are still there, they just hide them by default now.

grimdanfango
18-06-2015, 14:20
Have you read my concept of having in-car displays (either on main console or an opened laptop on the passenger seat)?

I loved your idea of a passenger seat laptop for telemetry data... although at current VR resolutions, it would need to be a very LARGE laptop unless you were okay leaning really really close to it to read it :-)

I get the feeling that having some sort of customisable displays that sit up in the sun-shade area of the windscreen would be best placed to be useful for general info while in the Rift. Sort of like clip-on secondary Motec displays or something... I already use the actual Motec displays all the time in any car that has one.

tailele
22-06-2015, 10:31
hi boys, i have one problem with the rift dk2...i explain better this problem:
i have one monitor with the max resolution of 1600x1200 px. When i connetct the rift and i star pj cars, i can change the resolution in the menu, but the max resolution that i can arrive is the reolution of the pc monitor even if i see the menu only in the rift display. Why?
Could the rift ajust the resolution itself? so i see 1600x1200 in the resolution menu of ojcars but the rift goes to 1920x1080?thaks

TrevorAustin
22-06-2015, 12:07
Correct, it will be 1080p in the rift.

tailele
22-06-2015, 12:27
so with oculus i see the manu resolution of pjcars that write 1600x1200, but really the pjcar goes to 1920x1080?

Antidamage
01-07-2015, 08:56
Hey everyone.

I bought Project Cars last night and the rift worked excellently with it - until the next day.

When I load it up the mouse tracking is offset from the actual cursor position quite a bit, making it hard to click anything.

When I did get into the game, this is all I see (I'm using Open Broadcast to clone the screen, so this is a shot of that, but it's also what I see in the rift): http://i.imgur.com/ybLtoxP.png

I haven't really changed any settings that should be affecting it. A reboot doesn't fix it. Has anyone had this happen before?

Oh yeah, I'm using the 0.6.0.1 runtime. Is that the problem? Because it worked perfectly for a short time, but I see a comment on the previous page saying it had problems.

Bruno Alexandre
01-07-2015, 09:21
Hey everyone.

I bought Project Cars last night and the rift worked excellently with it - until the next day.

When I load it up the mouse tracking is offset from the actual cursor position quite a bit, making it hard to click anything.

When I did get into the game, this is all I see (I'm using Open Broadcast to clone the screen, so this is a shot of that, but it's also what I see in the rift): http://i.imgur.com/ybLtoxP.png

I haven't really changed any settings that should be affecting it. A reboot doesn't fix it. Has anyone had this happen before?

Oh yeah, I'm using the 0.6.0.1 runtime. Is that the problem? Because it worked perfectly for a short time, but I see a comment on the previous page saying it had problems.

That usually happens when you alt-tab using a triple screen setup or similar.

Antidamage
01-07-2015, 09:27
That usually happens when you alt-tab using a triple screen setup or similar.

Bingo, I'm using the rift plus two other screens.

Any idea why it wasn't a problem last night but is now? I also just downgraded to the 0.5 SDK, so I'll give that a go too.

Edit: even without switching out, it's still broken. Hrm.

TrevorAustin
01-07-2015, 09:45
Stop using OBS and use the mirrored Rift menus on the desktop. You can't use the mouse in the Rift, but the keyboard keys work to move around.

You need to use 0.6.0.0 or later of the runtime.

Antidamage
01-07-2015, 09:52
How do you mirror the menus on the desktop?

In all seriousness I had this setup working fine last night. Sigh.

TrevorAustin
01-07-2015, 10:02
It's automatic. You need to put the rift into direct mode, then start the game, the menus and HUD are mirrored to the primary monitor by default. Your Rift should NOT be set at your primary monitor, which I know most of the guys used to do, or I wouldn't expect that to work.

I very excitedly loaded the patch and my rift last night and spent 4 hours trying to get it working right, still not quite there :) frustrating but that's why we chose bleeding edge technology, lol.

Bruno Alexandre
01-07-2015, 10:19
Bingo, I'm using the rift plus two other screens.

Any idea why it wasn't a problem last night but is now? I also just downgraded to the 0.5 SDK, so I'll give that a go too.

Edit: even without switching out, it's still broken. Hrm.

If i recall correctly, during development we noticed it was due to the difference in terms of resolution from desktop to the game settings. I believe v-sync had something to do with it as well.

Antidamage
01-07-2015, 10:35
If i recall correctly, during development we noticed it was due to the difference in terms of resolution from desktop to the game settings. I believe v-sync had something to do with it as well.

That would be the setting I turned off that I forgot all about. Thanks, I'll flick it back on.

The main symptom now is the right only shows the two blue logos from the start, while OBC actually shows the game.

Edit: I put it into Direct Mode and it works perfectly, no need for OBC like someone said. I guess the guide I read was out of date. Thank you!

Is there any way I can ensure the rift is running at 75hz? The settings say it's locked to 59 and it sure feels like it.

TrevorAustin
01-07-2015, 11:01
That would be the setting I turned off that I forgot all about. Thanks, I'll flick it back on.

The main symptom now is the right only shows the two blue logos from the start, while OBC actually shows the game.

Edit: I put it into Direct Mode and it works perfectly, no need for OBC like someone said. I guess the guide I read was out of date. Thank you!

Is there any way I can ensure the rift is running at 75hz? The settings say it's locked to 59 and it sure feels like it.

It won't be 59, it will be 37. Try with Fraps. The Rift either displays at 75 in direct mode and if it can't get 75 or more gives 37, even if you are getting 74FPS it will lock at 37. What's displayed in the resolution settings is ignored AFAIK when the rift is detected, it tries to get 1920*1080@75, and if it can't gets 37.

Antidamage
01-07-2015, 11:25
It won't be 59, it will be 37. Try with Fraps. The Rift either displays at 75 in direct mode and if it can't get 75 or more gives 37, even if you are getting 74FPS it will lock at 37. What's displayed in the resolution settings is ignored AFAIK when the rift is detected, it tries to get 1920*1080@75, and if it can't gets 37.

Gotcha. It seems to be working good then, thanks for your help!

One last question: in extended mode, the water during a thunderstorm looked like it was against the faceplate of your virtual helmet, which as some other people said looks in-fucking-credible. In direct mode it sticks to an invisible HUD shield a meter in front of you. Is this due to my settings, or a bug?

TrevorAustin
01-07-2015, 11:52
That sounds like a bug.

And please dont forget my findings above are just what i think I've worked out, not an sms statement or even confirmed by them.

Bruno Alexandre
02-07-2015, 09:52
There's a few more updating coming soon, keep the feedback coming along guys. Thank you all :)

Antidamage
02-07-2015, 09:54
Any chance of a list of updates to look forward to? Do you need beta testers? :)

TrevorAustin
02-07-2015, 10:53
There's a few more updating coming soon, keep the feedback coming along guys. Thank you all :)

Bruno, are you keeping an eye on the thread I started about the latest update, with loads of input from lots of people. Unless you want to merge it all back in here?

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?33565-Answered-Oculus-DK2-Feedback-on-patch-2-and-new-problem-for-me-which-I-can-t-solve

Nevil Wigbels
02-07-2015, 10:59
Bruno, are you keeping an eye on the thread I started about the latest update, with loads of input from lots of people. Unless you want to merge it all back in here?

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?33565-Answered-Oculus-DK2-Feedback-on-patch-2-and-new-problem-for-me-which-I-can-t-solve

And also on the old WMD forum, it's a bit fragmented now ;)

kusk0r
02-07-2015, 21:41
The implementation of direct mode is indeed very nice. Shadows are still not rendered properly.

Can anyone get SLI to work though? Only one card working here, I suppose since SLI only works with fullscreen enabled and you have the mirrored window on main monitor, that breaks SLI.

Edit:Nevermind it was a driver issue, SLI works. Now to get rid of that 37/75 fps issue.

Antidamage
02-07-2015, 21:54
I've only had project cars for about three days, so I have no idea what performance was like before. I'm running a 980 TI and an i7 5820k. I've turned all the settings except antialiasing up to max and on the Rift it feels very smooth all the time. Are you guys saying that at some point, performance is going to get even *better*?

Also, seeing the freakin' massive poly count bump from optimisations in DX12, will pCars be taking advantage of that in a future patch?

TrevorAustin
02-07-2015, 22:09
I've only had project cars for about three days, so I have no idea what performance was like before. I'm running a 980 TI and an i7 5820k. I've turned all the settings except antialiasing up to max and on the Rift it feels very smooth all the time. Are you guys saying that at some point, performance is going to get even *better*?

Also, seeing the freakin' massive poly count bump from optimisations in DX12, will pCars be taking advantage of that in a future patch?

Seriously? No juddering? And you've got everything on ultra and high? If that's the case I'm getting a better cpu! Which motherboard are you using? What aa settings are you using?

Antidamage
02-07-2015, 22:23
No judder. I become violently ill almost instantly when that happens, so I'd know about it.

I'm using an X99-A mobo from Asus, pretty much their entry level board with that socket. The ram I'm using is nothing to write home about either - that's getting upgraded shortly. The card is the EVGA GeForce GTX980TI 6GB GDDR5 PCI-E 3.0 (06G-P4-4990-KR), so probably not as good as the one I saw you were using.

Is there any way to check the frame rate to confirm?

AA settings are DX2m, or whatever that one's called.

t43m4n
03-07-2015, 03:46
Any idea on how to run Pcars on direct to rift mode? Pretty stumped on what launch options to use. I saw a guide but it was referring to mirroring.

ammonthenephite
03-07-2015, 05:27
Any idea on how to run Pcars on direct to rift mode?

Its not a game setting, you have to go to the oculus utiltiy in the little icon tray on the task bar, right click it and select "rift display mode". Pick 'direct to rift' and you are good to go.

TrevorAustin
03-07-2015, 07:30
No judder. I become violently ill almost instantly when that happens, so I'd know about it.

I'm using an X99-A mobo from Asus, pretty much their entry level board with that socket. The ram I'm using is nothing to write home about either - that's getting upgraded shortly. The card is the EVGA GeForce GTX980TI 6GB GDDR5 PCI-E 3.0 (06G-P4-4990-KR), so probably not as good as the one I saw you were using.

Is there any way to check the frame rate to confirm?

AA settings are DX2m, or whatever that one's called.

It must be down to the board/processor.

Yes, download fraps and run it and you'll see the framerate really easily on the mirrored screen. Very simple. Be very interested if you can comfirm, but it must be the extra cores allowing the card to run fully.
I'm now so tempted!
Always knew this game was cpu bound, but wow!

TrevorAustin
03-07-2015, 20:25
Any chance of confirming that framrate, if you're running patch 2 and you've got all ultra on locked 75fps then you've cost me £650:)

stitchbob
03-07-2015, 20:37
Hi. Apologies if this is wrong place to ask but it feels like the most active Oculus/Project Cars thread.

So I'm currently having a blast playing Project Cars on Xbox 1 with a Thrustmaster TX. This game really gives me a feeling that I'm racing. More than any other I have played. Then recently I got to experience VR for the first time. It was just a Gear VR but it was enough to convince me that VR isn't just a gimmick. There is a genuine step up in immersion on the horizon. It's very exciting, I can't wait for the technology to mature.

What I'm getting at is, is the experience with Oculus and PCars solid enough to jump in this early? Can you guys play with it everyday? Does the novelty wear off or could you never go back to a 2D screen?

My separate experience of PCars on a regular screen and a Gear VR gives me some idea that this must feel pretty incredible right!?

So for someone like myself would you buy in now or wait until the production model is out? I know it's only 6-9 months away, or possibly the Vive end of this year. But that feels like a long way away and it doesn't sound like the final consumer Oculus specs are THAT much improved on the DK2.

And if the experience now is solid and enjoyable I'm quite tempted to bite the bullet early (I'm generally an early adopter and quite impulsive!)

Be interested to hear you guys thoughts that have lived with it for a little while.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

surtic86
03-07-2015, 21:14

When im would be right now in your Situation and with the know who i have now about the DK2 and Implementation of pCars in it i would wait. The DK2 has a nice Experiance but the Resolution is not the best also the Implementation of pCars right now is not what it should be. You can play also now with HUD that your aviable to Play Online Races with Pitstops. But the Performance right now was getting worse with Patch 2.0 but a feature Patch should fix that. The feeling is great and makes fun but overall wait and get the Plasure in Q1 with a good Implementation, good Performance and a much better Resolution.

Save the Money who you would spend for the Oculus DK2 and Upgrade your PC with it in Q1 next Year :)

stitchbob
04-07-2015, 13:37
Thanks for the reply surtic. It's hard to be patient! Envy you guys, even if you are having to jump through hoops.

Lawndarts
04-07-2015, 15:14
does anyone know what and where the main graphics config file/s are located? I'd like to set up different profiles between rift and 3x screen to more easily switch back and forth.

Also, with the latest update, is it advised to use direct mode now?

TrevorAustin
04-07-2015, 16:06
does anyone know what and where the main graphics config file/s are located? I'd like to set up different profiles between rift and 3x screen to more easily switch back and forth.

Also, with the latest update, is it advised to use direct mode now?

It's in my docs, but that's going to be ib the next patch anyway. And only direct works.

Antidamage
04-07-2015, 23:41
So for someone like myself would you buy in now or wait until the production model is out? I know it's only 6-9 months away, or possibly the Vive end of this year. But that feels like a long way away and it doesn't sound like the final consumer Oculus specs are THAT much improved on the DK2.

1. I don't play pCars in anything other than Rift, as many other people have also said. (I have a DK2 and it's that good!)
2. If you're not mad about VR for the sake of VR, it STILL might be worth waiting for the consumer version.

As great as it all is, there's always an unspoken "but the resolution..." You can eventually get past it mentally, but that grid lattice and the inability to make out distant turns is the biggest hangup at the moment. I got my DK2 to do development on but I immediately ran into the same thing everyone else has, which is partly why there aren't too many VR games coming out: it's pretty difficult to do anything when you can't see very far. The games people have made that aren't racing sims aren't very compelling right now because of this.

If you're made of money and don't mind a disposable headset, go for it, have fun, get a Leap Motion as well, etc. But if you want a good experience, wait for the consumer model of either the Rift or the Vive.

Antidamage
04-07-2015, 23:51
It must be down to the board/processor.

Yes, download fraps and run it and you'll see the framerate really easily on the mirrored screen. Very simple. Be very interested if you can comfirm, but it must be the extra cores allowing the card to run fully.
I'm now so tempted!
Always knew this game was cpu bound, but wow!

Thanks! Grabbed Fraps and tried it. You'd better get your wallet out because it's confirmed.

I do have shadows completely disabled and I'd dropped Ansiotropic Filtering to 4x for some reason, might have been to play it safe with the framerate. I tested both Caldwell and a solo race at Dubai. I also leave motion blur on and set to high, because it feels like this improves the experience.

I did see some people saying more cars slowed things down but I haven't experienced that in my handful of real races. I should really get around to trying online some time but I'm bloody awful until I've learnt all the tracks.

TrevorAustin
05-07-2015, 00:21
Thanks! Grabbed Fraps and tried it. You'd better get your wallet out because it's confirmed.

I do have shadows completely disabled and I'd dropped Ansiotropic Filtering to 4x for some reason, might have been to play it safe with the framerate. I tested both Caldwell and a solo race at Dubai. I should really get around to trying online some time but I'm bloody awful until I've learnt all the tracks. I also leave motion blur on and set to high, because it feels like this improves the experience.

I did see some people saying more cars slowed things down but I haven't experienced that in my handful of real races.

Fantastic, really appreciate you're effort, now is it the cpu, x99 or both. Have you used any of the dx11mt or pthreads command line launch options? If not I'm wondering if its the extra pci channels in x99. But then a 4820 isn't much less than a 5820. If i run woth your settings i get 38-42fps, whuch displays as 37, you're getting at least twice my fps, and maybe more if it wasnt vsynced.

Antidamage
05-07-2015, 00:29
Hard to say, my mate who helped me choose the parts is the expert on this stuff and he mentioned things like channel utilization.

I'll try those flags now.

Update: didn't make any visible difference - it's not any slower, anyway. I set pthreads to 6.

TrevorAustin
05-07-2015, 00:33
You want -dx11mt and pthreads 4 might make it even better:)

You have got the latest patch 2.0 as well? Are you on steam, so it's auto updated!

Antidamage
05-07-2015, 00:44
When did patch 2.0 come out? I'm on steam and only bought the game last week, so it's probably up to date.

I had -dx11mt on the first time. Just ran it with -pthreads set to 4. Didn't feel like there was a difference. I think you're right, it's always running above 75fps.

Once they fix the various visual glitches HMDs are experiencing this will be fantastic.

I'll be keen to see how you do your new setup as well. I've heard the 5820k is very overclockable.

TrevorAustin
05-07-2015, 01:00
When did patch 2.0 come out? I'm on steam and only bought the game last week, so it's probably up to date.

I had -dx11mt on the first time. Just ran it with -pthreads set to 4. Didn't feel like there was a difference. I think you're right, it's always running above 75fps.

Once they fix the various visual glitches HMDs are experiencing this will be fantastic.

I'll be keen to see how you do your new setup as well. I've heard the 5820k is very overclockable.

Patch 2 was about a week ago, but if you're online on steam you will have it.

Just been reading loads of bwnchmarks and the 5820 does outperform even the 4970 but not by loads, and this is up to 100% or more, and it iant as if mine is underperforming, others are very similar, qonder if there are other 5820 users?

I've even clocked mine up to 4.6 this evening, got me about another 3-4 fps at best.

I'm going to run some cpu usage tests tomorrow wgile playing and see if there is anything obvious going on.

I'm getting a small inheritance in the next few weeks, maybe even a 5960 on the cards:)

Antidamage
05-07-2015, 01:02
It must be the increased number of channels. The advantage will probably disappear when they release the latest patch fixing whatever it was they broke.

Sorry for your loss but congrats on the inheritance. ;)

tiansusan
08-07-2015, 02:46
Hello rafffel.Thanks for your sharing.The Game Project Cars worked in VR mode and the image showed in Oculus DK2 as side by side. We wanted to connect other monitor (Like a big TV) and make it show on the TV screen and DK 2 at the same time. What tools or equipment should we use to make that happen? And I found some games can be showed on two screens(Rift and PC) at the same time while some cannot. I don't know how to solve this problem, please help me.
the game image showed in Oculus DK2

TrevorAustin
08-07-2015, 06:55
You can't do it anymore with the latest patch, obs used to work, but you'll have to wait for the next patch or two now for mirroring to get switched on.

sylas
12-07-2015, 09:47
Hi. Apologies if this is wrong place to ask but it feels like the most active Oculus/Project Cars thread.

So I'm currently having a blast playing Project Cars on Xbox 1 with a Thrustmaster TX. This game really gives me a feeling that I'm racing. More than any other I have played. Then recently I got to experience VR for the first time. It was just a Gear VR but it was enough to convince me that VR isn't just a gimmick. There is a genuine step up in immersion on the horizon. It's very exciting, I can't wait for the technology to mature.

What I'm getting at is, is the experience with Oculus and PCars solid enough to jump in this early? Can you guys play with it everyday? Does the novelty wear off or could you never go back to a 2D screen?

My separate experience of PCars on a regular screen and a Gear VR gives me some idea that this must feel pretty incredible right!?

And if the experience now is solid and enjoyable I'm quite tempted to bite the bullet early (I'm generally an early adopter and quite impulsive!)

Be interested to hear you guys thoughts that have lived with it for a little while.

I think that's a great question, and the answer really depends on how you would feel about being $450 lighter, as well as spending roughly 1 hour of configuration time per new game. If neither of those things faze you at all, then order the Oculus Rift DK2 right now. I also have to say that the games worth playing right now are very limited. The very best AAA games right now are: Elite Dangerous, Project Cars, Assetto Corsa, and Alien Isolation. There are probably 100's if not thousands of demos for free, but a few really stand out. New Retro Arcade is absolutely phenomenal..and free. DCS World is free, but very limited, and VR is not refined. Lunar Flight, Live for speed, and Euro Truck Simulator 2 are not free, but very inexpensive, and are worthy VR games. There is also a free open source driver called Vereio Perception, which lets you play SOME select older games, like: Dirt2, Dirt3, GRID, Dishonored, GTA IV and V, Saints Row, Outlast, and many others. Then there's the independent dude who created a plugin for Lockheeds Prepar3D, and now has a kickstarter for MS Flight Simulator X. If you get a DK2 now, you will have tons of free or cheap content to keep you busy for a very long time. It all comes down to how important gaming or simulation is to you...also how much of an impact $450 is to you.

MrTulip
12-07-2015, 11:24

In addition to what sylas said above. Here are some comments for what it is like side of things...

For me DK2 has been very important step forward with racing simulators and I've been using it pretty much every day since October 2014. No matter that the resolution is just barely there, I won't go back.

Excluding the most obvious, eg. incredible feeling of being there, what VR gives to you is correct visual perspective, as well as real 3D. Braking points (or more like perceiving deceleration), elevation changes and motion on yaw axis are completely transformed compared to what I had with 30 inch screen in the past. Driving has become considerably easier. Last time I've had impact this big in my sim driving was when I got my first FFB wheel hooked to Grand Prix Legends in 1998!
For instance in Richard Burns Rally, a game me and my pals were time trialing hard on one specific stage, I immediately clocked a time two seconds faster, and this was without even trying. (If someone is interested this was Fraiser Wells in ~2:57:xx with original Subaru 2000 car and original physics.)

Mostly it comes down to having a correct field of vision. Many fast simmers turn down the FOV to see the small nuances in car rotation better, which I never did myself since I disliked the side effect; losing the sensation of speed almost completely. But if you have high FOV, perspective becomes badly warped and noticing such things as yaw angle (slides) becomes harder. Regardless of its low points higher FOV has always been my choice because 'no sensation of speed' equals 'boring'. I'm more after the thrill than stats.
Now it's not a matter of choice anymore as VR gives me both! Well, not exactly; I haven't still bothered with hot lapping as full grid racing is more fun...

There are still no G-forces involved, but one interesting point of increased yaw motion perception is that drifting/powersliding becomes incredibly more easier with DK2. On the actual driving side of things this has come as a biggest surprise to me and all sim racers who have tested my set.

But this is a one way lane; if you can stomach (really) the move to VR you won't come back. If I now start any racing game without, steering inputs simply don't make any sense to me anymore. It takes some 15 minutes to get accustomed enough to stay on the track, but I really should relearn things again. Old visual perspective feels limited, like I lost one of my senses.

As a sim racer DK2 is not just a good thing as it limits my choice of sims. rFactor2 or R3E and are out of the window unless they start putting effort to VR. The loss is not too big since what I already have are Project CARS, Assetto Corsa, iRacing, Richard Burns Rally and DiRT Rally. I feel especially bad about losing Rise of Flight but Elite:Dangerous has been a bit of help there.
VorpX and Vereio are really not solutions to lack of proper VR support; they give you taste but don't work very well and have controller problems. This if you get them running for some specific game in the first place.

Having said all this, I think that if you got something like triple +30" screen setup you can get a view approximately size of a real car windscreen with a correct FOV. For a car sim racer that would be a hassle free experience close to what you see in DK2, with a benefit of higher resolution but still missing real 3D. Your brain overcomes the latter quite easily and human 3D vision is really not that good at longer distances anyway.

kusk0r
13-07-2015, 15:41
With gtx 680 sli I was getting locked at 45fps with 60% loads on the cards. After creating a custom res for my primary monitor I could select 1920x1080@75 in-game(not sure this is necessary). Then after disabling SLI I would get 50fps with 75% loads. Turning down all settings to the lowest level and with SLI off I finally hit 75fps. I could then turn up some detail settings and keep 75fps but no AA or other fancy stuff. Looks like when the game is loading the level it will decide your fps but still if I look down in the cockpit or an easy to render area like if I am right against a wall it will hit 75 unless you have AA on.

Before the patch with extended mode and SLI and with shadows off I could almost max everything out and still keep 90fps. With an SLI fix I am hoping to be able to turn everything to the max. My 980ti will probably arrive this week solving the issue with the added power.

protie
14-07-2015, 15:32
... is the experience with Oculus and PCars solid enough to jump in this early? Can you guys play with it everyday? Does the novelty wear off or could you never go back to a 2D screen?

If I had waited on the consumer version I would be missing out on all of the enjoyment that I have been dreaming of since I was very young. There is one negative that I should warn you about though. You may lose interest in any game that does not support VR once you spend time in the Rift. I have tried going back to triples and I just can not do it anymore. Using monitors just feels like playing a console video game while using the Rift feels like being there and driving the cars. One example is ETS multiplayer (3rd party). They do not offer support for VR so until that happens it has been uninstalled. The novelty did not wear off, it became an addiction for me which requires a fix daily :)
I can only speak of my own experience though and will have to admit that early on using the DK1 I almost gave up. Being this was a dream come true in rough form I stubbornly stuck with it though and am so glad I did. I can not promise you will have the same opinion once you start using VR but if you do, you will be extremely happy that you did.

Martos
14-07-2015, 17:59
Hi,

Ive recently got a DK2, but am having issues with pCars. Its displaying correclty until i get into the game, then the screen only partially renders and looks like this.211801

I'm running an Nvidia 980Ti with drivers 353.38.

Please can you advise? Ive tried Direct and Extended with now difference.

presuming ed
14-07-2015, 18:55

I bit the bullet and bought a DK2 last week. I've had it since Friday. I don't regret it for a second but I did knowingly buy it for driving games only. I had and have no intention of using it for anything else.

The experience is just spectacular. I can't talk too much about pCARS yet as I have an AMD 290x and there's a little lull in pCARS Oculus Rift optimisation at the moment I think. But from the jumpy bits I have seen it will be every bit as spectacular as the experiences I've had in Assetto Corsa, which I won't go into here.

I'm totally in agreement with what MrTulip says about unexpected but massively increased ability to power slide, drift and catch a car that's sliding out of control. I put it down to one simple thing - giving your natural reactions much better chance of solving the problem for themselves. This is achieved simply because, in a Rift, and this seems so simple, you naturally look in the direction you want the car to point in. This gives your brain much more raw data to use in sending information to your arms and legs about what to do next. It was the biggest surprise for me, just the huge increase in control I had over the car.

So I'd never go back. Massive fun factor - it's an experience. It's a strange one in the computer world as we can't create screenshots or videos, or even describe it really. It is simply something you have to experience.

TrevorAustin
14-07-2015, 18:58
Hi,

Ive recently got a DK2, but am having issues with pCars. Its displaying correclty until i get into the game, then the screen only partially renders and looks like this.211801

I'm running an Nvidia 980Ti with drivers 353.38.

Please can you advise? Ive tried Direct and Extended with now difference.

Assuming the dk2 config demo is working in direct mife That is correct. Now with it in direct mode lok in your rift when the monitor looks like that:)

sagedavid
15-07-2015, 01:55
Guys, I want to sell my unboxed DK2. No time for this, and I assume I won't have more until the CV1 or release version.
Available around Paris.
Send me a PM.
Thanks

TrevorAustin
15-07-2015, 07:07
What won't change?

sagedavid
15-07-2015, 08:29
What won't change?

My lack of time ...

TrevorAustin
15-07-2015, 08:48
My lack of time ...

Ah, that's never good.

Martos
15-07-2015, 10:37
Assuming the dk2 config demo is working in direct mife That is correct. Now with it in direct mode lok in your rift when the monitor looks like that:)

The OR demo works fine in Direct mode. I get the same thing in Direct Mode. When looking through the rift I can some of the correct around the black bit in the photo (so the image in the photo is in the middle of the screen if that makes sense).

Martos
15-07-2015, 19:55
Deleted graphicsconfigdx11.xml and its working now! Wow is all I can say!!

cheddle
17-07-2015, 06:27
Wanted to say how much of a huge step forward patch 2.0 has introduced with Pcars - now using sdk 0.6.0.1 and I can actually play project cars!! yay! after buying it on launch day... finally...

Shadows NEED fixing ASAP. this is a huge hit to the fidelity of the game, its a big missing core element of the product.

I feel there is progress to be made on other elements as well: both with pinning the HUD to a space relative to the world NOT to the view point and further to be able to have SPECTATORS watch on the mirrored screen... I often hot lap with friends taking turns and this whole experience is SO much better when you can see what the other player is doing... either with OBS or using something like iRacing's direct-to-rift.

0.6.0.0 broke OBS for me, I have not tested it in 0.6.0.1 but I hear its buggy...

so... my Christmas in July wish list.

Shadows
HUD
mirrored screen

cheddle
18-07-2015, 01:40
that said I am getting sutters still... every 5-10 seconds ill get a few 26ms frames... being exactly have 75 fps... something not right.

Bacon2002
21-07-2015, 21:52
Hi,
I had problems with jitter on my DK2, but after lots of trial and error I eventually changed my NVIDIA (GTX-980 ti) drivers from 353.30 back to the older 353.06 and now Project Cars works perfectly with pretty much every thing turned up and jitter free.
In summary with windows 8.1 pro and NVIDIA 353.30 it was terrible but with 353.06 it is perfect.
I hope this helps someone.
David

I take it all back the drivers made no difference, my problem seems to be related to SLI support. I am running two 980ti cards, when I changed the drivers they also turned off SLI and strangely the game ran better. It would seem that SLI implementation is worse than running the game with a single card. I get the impression the game is heavy on the CPU and has poor SLI support.

GT VIRUS
22-07-2015, 14:03
I had an issue tonight with my camera jumping around a heap. Was only happening on Sonoma short, haven't had it yet on any other track, but at semi random points (mostly out of turn 6, exit of the sweepers and exit of the last turn). the camera would either be under the ground or behind the gearbox, obviously making driving quite uncomfortable. Anyone had anything similar? I'm going to test tomorrow and see if it was just Sonoma short or if any other tracks are effected

TrevorAustin
22-07-2015, 14:11
I had an issue tonight with my camera jumping around a heap. Was only happening on Sonoma short, haven't had it yet on any other track, but at semi random points (mostly out of turn 6, exit of the sweepers and exit of the last turn). the camera would either be under the ground or behind the gearbox, obviously making driving quite uncomfortable. Anyone had anything similar? I'm going to test tomorrow and see if it was just Sonoma short or if any other tracks are effected

Only time I have had exactly this was when I tried to mount the camera on my monitor and the FFB from my wheel vibrations caused exactly this, now mounted on a rigid surface away from the vibes and all good.

GT VIRUS
22-07-2015, 14:29
My camera is on a tripod not attached to my rig at all. It was also only happening at Sonoma (swapping tracks a couple of times)

TrevorAustin
22-07-2015, 14:34
My camera is on a tripod not attached to my rig at all. It was also only happening at Sonoma (swapping tracks a couple of times)

Not that then, hopefully just a glitch, I had it once at certain point at Spa, several weeks go, where every time I crossed near the start I was looking up into my seat base for about 1/2 second. Never happened again after reboot or since.

Antidamage
24-07-2015, 01:17
Elsewhere in the VR world: microsoft flight simulator X is $10 on the Humble Bundle of the week at the moment. There's a plugin to enable VR with it on kickstarter, but is also a free download.

https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly
http://flyinside-fsx.com/

LOST IN VR
29-07-2015, 13:06
Hi guys,
a question about recording the screen:
Before 2.5 in extended mode i used OBS (open broadcaster software) to show what i see in the rift on a normal monitor.
Since 2.5 and the direct mode, every thing looks good in the rift but the direct mode window shows only black and the HUD.
So recording with OBS gives me only a black screen - no chance to see what happens in the game.
Do you have the same experience with OBS? Or is there a possibility, maybe in the OBS settings to capture the rift screen?
Or are there other programs with that possibility? What do you use to record your screen?
THX

Antidamage
29-07-2015, 20:10
Hi guys,
a question about recording the screen:
Before 2.5 in extended mode i used OBS (open broadcaster software) to show what i see in the rift on a normal monitor.
Since 2.5 and the direct mode, every thing looks good in the rift but the direct mode window shows only black and the HUD.
So recording with OBS gives me only a black screen - no chance to see what happens in the game.
Do you have the same experience with OBS? Or is there a possibility, maybe in the OBS settings to capture the rift screen?
Or are there other programs with that possibility? What do you use to record your screen?
THX

This question is asked more than any other - briefly perusing the thread will find the answer half a dozen times. ;)

The short answer is: it's the same for everyone, yes it's because of direct mode, no OBS can't capture it as far as I know. To properly record and account for the chromatic aberrations you'd need to at the minimum install a jack point that passively intercepts your optic nerve, then do some image flipping.

presuming ed
29-07-2015, 20:14
To properly record and account for the chromatic aberrations you'd need to at the minimum install a jack point that passively intercepts your optic nerve, then do some image flipping.

I have one of these. It was working well but as yet there is no Windows 10 driver for it.

alatok
30-07-2015, 15:28
When race start i can only see hub screen on monitor, rest i black, view on oculus is normal. Any one have idea how to make it work?

presuming ed
30-07-2015, 15:43
I think maybe a VR headset is wasted on you if you can't even look up a couple of inches.

alatok
30-07-2015, 15:54
it dont work in direct mode same as in extend, i try many thing but cant make it to see oculus view on screen, rest i working fine. If you dont have any ideas dont write anything.... presuming ed .....

TrevorAustin
30-07-2015, 16:09
it dont work in direct mode same as in extend, i try many thing but cant make it to see oculus view on screen, rest i working fine. If you dont have any ideas dont write anything.... presuming ed .....

What he means is you haven't even bothered to look for the answer, it's been posted many times. Not like it's a hard search "oculus" :)

Yesterday for example.

However it only works in direct mode and you need to turn off FXAA if your Oculus is got the black rectangle on it, and if you only have the HUD screen on your monitor, it's how it's supposed to be, it is working. You are supposed to look at it through the Oculus in case you weren't sure :)

alatok
30-07-2015, 16:34
i saw movie that somone had oculus view on monitor (i mean two glasses or whatever it's called). and yes FXAA is off.

alatok
30-07-2015, 16:45
So it is impossible to show on screen what i see in oculus?, becuse when i use obs is show black screen with hub.

TrevorAustin
30-07-2015, 17:21
i saw movie that somone had oculus view on monitor (i mean two glasses or whatever it's called). and yes FXAA is off.

Must have been using OBS or similar to mirror it, That stopped working for direct mode as OBS can't see it.

Yes for now it is impossible, although direct rift games can be mirrored, just whether SMS do it or not.

marwood82
04-08-2015, 19:11
hi,

i'm having problems getting the game working with the rift dk2 since the last batch of project cars updates
the inital release of the game worked fine. I had the rift in extended desktop mode and as soon as i started the game it kicked straight in on the rift.

now its not working at all.

its clearly detecting the rift as when you start the game, i get the intro and the menus shown on my monitor. (which didnt happen pre-updates). when i go to start a race or practice, and im in the car, all i see on the pc monitor is the HUD(which i gather is correct?) however there is nothing on the rift. and the led on the rift is yellow.

if i put the rift into extended desktop mode, i get the same issue, just the HUD on the monitor and just the extended desktop on the rift.

whats also odd is the game seems to be running in windowed mode, even though its not set that way in the settings.

all the rift demos i have work fine along with the stuff i had running in vorpx, its just project cars that wont display.

i've tried updating the rift runtimes to 0.6.0 and 0.6.1, i've tried removing graphicsconfigdx11 as was suggested in an earlier page but nothing has had an effect.

is there something im not doing?

TrevorAustin
04-08-2015, 19:31
hi,

i'm having problems getting the game working with the rift dk2 since the last batch of project cars updates
the inital release of the game worked fine. I had the rift in extended desktop mode and as soon as i started the game it kicked straight in on the rift.

now its not working at all.

its clearly detecting the rift as when you start the game, i get the intro and the menus shown on my monitor. (which didnt happen pre-updates). when i go to start a race or practice, and im in the car, all i see on the pc monitor is the HUD(which i gather is correct?) however there is nothing on the rift. and the led on the rift is yellow.

if i put the rift into extended desktop mode, i get the same issue, just the HUD on the monitor and just the extended desktop on the rift.

whats also odd is the game seems to be running in windowed mode, even though its not set that way in the settings.

all the rift demos i have work fine along with the stuff i had running in vorpx, its just project cars that wont display.

i've tried updating the rift runtimes to 0.6.0 and 0.6.1, i've tried removing graphicsconfigdx11 as was suggested in an earlier page but nothing has had an effect.

is there something im not doing?

Yep, not reading the many updates :) It only works in direct mode now, the windowed screen on your monitor is the limited mirror of the DK2, which will show all menus and the in game Hud, but no graphics. Once you start a race that will be displayed on the DK2 only (Hud duplicated on the desktop) and all works very well. Expect a fairly big performance hit, the one thing I would say if you do, is turn off the in game AA settings, including MSAA, then reduce your other settings enviro and reflections first, if you have enough performance SMAA seems to work OK without too hard a hit. Also DO NOT USE ANY FXAA in game, you will get a big black opaque rectangle over the HUD.

marwood82
04-08-2015, 20:09
Once you start a race that will be displayed on the DK2 only (Hud duplicated on the desktop) and all works very well..

this is the problem though, i get the limited mirror on the monitor but when i start a race, i dont see anything on the dk2 and the led stays yellow.

i've already got FXAA turned off as i saw it recommended earlier, but i would have thought the other stuff is just related to performance? ie it should at least display even if i haven't downgraded the graphics settings?

its 100% pciking up the rift because the blue light on the camera comes on when i start the game

TrevorAustin
04-08-2015, 21:21
And you have definitely got it in direct mode? And when you run the config demo the rift goes blue and the demo works?

I have had that a load of times, I found the following range of workarounds :(
restart the Oculus service in services.msc
Make sure the Oculus is ON when you boot.
Always run the demon before launching.

But then I reinstalled a few days ago and all that went away. You haven't recently installed Nvidia 353.62 have you? That's when my performance improved dramatically but became very flaky. Rein stall fixed that and 353.62 rock solid, it must be something left behind from one of the older drivers.

AussieStig
08-08-2015, 17:52
Hey everyone, my first post here!!! Just got PC and I have had a DK2 for nearly a year now and AC works great guns with the rift. I do seem to have a very large performance difference between these two titles, with the former, PC's seemingly displaying way under 75 fps and displaying a slightly skewed image when I compare the two titles.

Also the on screen PC's display on my 1360 x 768 monitor is shown in 1920 x 1080 which I can't seem to get matched to my desk top screen format?

Does anyone have any golden tips or settings that would be helpful in getting the most out of this great title and the DK2? I know the first post is a guide, but this was last updated in April? Is this still the current suggested setup guide?

Looking forward to your replies and suggestions, cheers AussieStig

TrevorAustin
08-08-2015, 19:17
I think your stuffed with the monitor image. Its a reflection of the Hud and menus in 1080p window only.

You need to use the 0.6.0 or. 01 driver in direct mode only.

It is a performance pig, hopefully fixed in the next patch, a bug sorted and some good new optimisation.

As far as running it goes i would start with everything at medium, except fxaa (doesn't work yet) and in game aa, turn that off completely. Adjust other settings up or down to get 75, then in game aa, personally i find in game aa broken for the dk2 at present

AussieStig
08-08-2015, 20:27
Thanks mate, appreciate the help. I will check my settings and see if I can improve it. Cheers AussieStig

RaceNut
09-08-2015, 02:17
Hey AussieStig, good to see you around here mate. There may be a few settings to try if you haven't already.

Detailed grass used to cause poor FPS but, that may have been fixed; Shadow detail may still have issues so I turn that off; Crepuscular Rays didn't work in Rift mode so I turn those off; Render frames ahead=1 seemed to help too; Particle Density may have some impact. Beyond that, try different AA modes and use -skipcrowds launch parameter to gain some FPS too.

AussieStig
09-08-2015, 08:08
Cheers RaceNut, I appreciate your warm welcome to the forums. Thanks for tips on the settings as well, I will definitely be trying these settings asap :-) I will report back and let you know how it goes mate.

Cheers AussieStig

Hey AussieStig, good to see you around here mate. There may be a few settings to try if you haven't already.

Detailed grass used to cause poor FPS but, that may have been fixed; Shadow detail may still have issues so I turn that off; Crepuscular Rays didn't work in Rift mode so I turn those off; Render frames ahead=1 seemed to help too; Particle Density may have some impact. Beyond that, try different AA modes and use -skipcrowds launch parameter to gain some FPS too.

AussieStig
14-08-2015, 13:32
Hoping the Oculus Rift improvements will bear some real fruit. Racing with the rift is so much more immersive than monitors, for me there is no looking back now.

Cheers AussieStig

TrevorAustin
14-08-2015, 13:36
Hoping the Oculus Rift improvements will bear some real fruit. Racing with the rift is so much more immersive than monitors, for me there is no looking back now.

Cheers AussieStig

Yep, couldn't agree more, really need some pedals so I can test, but I'll test the graphics within a few seconds of getting home :)

presuming ed
14-08-2015, 14:14
Bad news here - no discernible difference in performance. If anything, a little worse.

Might be an AMD thing I guess, but still unplayable on a 290x, i7 4790k and Rift.

See you all for 4.0!

AussieStig
14-08-2015, 15:34
Well that sucks mate. Looks like AC, SweetFX and extended mode are where I will be then.

Cheers AussieStig
Bad news here - no discernible difference in performance. If anything, a little worse.

Might be an AMD thing I guess, but still unplayable on a 290x, i7 4790k and Rift.

See you all for 4.0!

presuming ed
14-08-2015, 15:37
See you there!

AussieStig
14-08-2015, 15:43
Cheers mate :-)

Naz
14-08-2015, 16:52
I've only done a few quick races (2.00 am here in sydney so perhaps a little premature to judge... However, I similarly can't really see too much difference and, as you found, if anything it's probably a little worse. The judder on the starting grid with a field of 20 is definitely worse now for me but as in pre 3.0, once the field spreads out after a couple of corners it settles down to smooth gameplay.

TrevorAustin
14-08-2015, 17:03

See you all for 4.0!

OS? actually can't be win 10. Sadly your wasting yourtime with pcars and rift on amd,i sold my 290x for a 970 for a 200% improvement.

TrevorAustin
14-08-2015, 17:05
I've only done a few quick races (2.00 am here in sydney so perhaps a little premature to judge... However, I similarly can't really see too much difference and, as you found, if anything it's probably a little worse. The judder on the starting grid with a field of 20 is definitely worse now for me but as in pre 3.0, once the field spreads out after a couple of corners it settles down to smooth gameplay.

Hmmm, not so good. Try turning settings up, there was supoosed to be a biggwr improvement ar highwr aettings, and are shadows working?

Ramjet
14-08-2015, 17:06
Maybe it needs the Oculus 0.7 SDK to gain full benefit ? Can anyone say if SLI now works in Direct mode ?

Naz
14-08-2015, 17:15
I'll try some more tomorrow Trevor...rather late lol.

I tried shadows on the lowest settings only but they looked bad still so turned them off again for the rest of my session.

TrevorAustin
14-08-2015, 17:56
Maybe it needs the Oculus 0.7 SDK to gain full benefit ? Can anyone say if SLI now works in Direct mode ?

I don't think it will work as I think direct is a type of windowed mode, and no SLI in windowed so......

Can't say I can see massive improvement either, although I can't drive as my pedals are broken:) but on the start line I would say the picture is better, FXAA now works, I would guess at approx a 10% improvemnt max, but I'm not really sure what the shadow fix was as it still doesn't seem any different at all to me at any level of setting.

Need to try the novr mirror setting too. But there are so many other good things in this patch:)

TrevorAustin
14-08-2015, 18:30
Sadly I spoke too soon.

Overall negative progress for me.

overall a 25% plus performance reduction. My test scenario of 30 cars at spa has gone from a steady 68FPS at the very start to 75FPS locked after the green light is now in the 50s and never gets above low 60s.

Also the new graphics settings in the rift have compeltely reset all visual performance to a very low level. Make sure you are comparing like for like with your old no oculus settings.

My view of the rift changes;
Oculus Rift
* Implemented support for Oculus 0.6.0.1 SDK.
Can't see any improvement from queue ahead as the overall performance is too reduced
* Added support for a separate Graphics profile “GraphicsConfigOculusDX11.xml” when running with the Oculus Rift. This means that you can now set your graphic details to high/max when playing without the Rift, and turn the details down for optimum performance when using the Rift and the game will maintain both configurations and apply the applicable one automatically.
This resets everything to a low setting. You need to copy your old non oculus xml and rename it to the oculus one for a like for like comparison.
* Auto disabled Crepuscular rays, Vignette and full screen raindrops.
* Fixed excessive object pop-in in Oculus Rift mode that was caused by the modified field of view used in VR.
Can't drive yet as broken pedals. However on the Spa grid gradually raising my head to the horizon causes massive popup on the treeline
* Shadow support – further work towards getting shadow support fully implemented.
* Fixed SLI/XFire windowed mode performance issues – SLI/XFire isn't available in windowed mode, but several Renderer paths were still active, resulting in reduced performance, most notably for Oculus Rift which fakes a windowed mode.
I am seeing a measurable 25% plus performance reduction
* Added a command-line option "-vrnomirror" that disables the desktop mirror. This will gain around 3-4% performance.
Visually works but overall any improvement is not visible. ALso no mouse control in menus makes it very hard to do anything other than just a quick practice or solo weekend so doubt I'll be using it.
* Fixed the issue where non cockpit view cameras were not incorporating the head-pose position correctly, which caused the camera to be spawned very low down.
Only ever use the one view, so don't know.
* Fixed the issue where the view in the Oculus Rift froze when returning to the main menu after a race.
Works for me
* Fixed the issue where using FXAA caused black/opaque rendering when using Oculus Rift.
Works for me

Overall for me a very negative step with the rift. 0.7 won't improve it I don't think until it's optimised in the game. But as disappointing a development in my Oculus experience as 1.4 to 2.0 was. I feel we are about 50% down on 1.4 performance in extended mode now, having also lost sweetfx and gained a very juddery experience unless I use basic settings even with a 980Ti and a 6 core 4.6Ghz I7.

Still wanting my pedals back to enjoy all the other improvements:)

CrustyA
14-08-2015, 18:57
Welp, you're getting further than i am with the DK2 and 3.0.
I cant even get a practice session or race to even launch, just keep getting these:

DK2 is in direct mode, I've played with visuals settings and turned everything off or to its lowest setting.

Do we need to delete or clear out my documents\Project cars folder? or remove default.sav?

In case a dev stumbles on to this and is interested in more here are the debug data from the last few tries.

TrevorAustin
14-08-2015, 19:00
Welp, you're getting further than i am with the DK2 and 3.0.
I cant even get a practice session or race to even launch, just keep getting these:

DK2 is in direct mode, I've played with visuals settings and turned everything off or to its lowest setting.

Do we need to delete or clear out my documents\Project cars folder? or remove default.sav?

In case a dev stumbles on to this and is interested in more here are the debug data from the last few tries.

Is that with the latest Nvidia driver, if so go back to 353.62, the later ones don't work with the rift, and I get a fatal exception on start up almost every time even with them.

RaceNut
14-08-2015, 20:42
Thanks for the info guys, it's all getting a bit messy - more to come I'm sure.

CrustyA
14-08-2015, 20:51
Is that with the latest Nvidia driver, if so go back to 353.62, the later ones don't work with the rift, and I get a fatal exception on start up almost every time even with them.

Ah yes, Thanks TrevorAustin.:eagerness: I should have checked this. :grief:
I accidentally upgraded to win10 before I realized it doesnt work with the dk2 so had to reinstall 7 from scratch which is probably when my drivers got mixed up.

Interesting thing though when I checked the version I found I was already using the 353.62 drivers (and getting the errors). I rolled back to the one I was previously using 353.30 and it's working again now.

Naz
14-08-2015, 22:57
Cheers Trevor. Glad to see I was not imagining the performance reduction (glad is probably not the correct word actually Lol).:) Also agree that whilst my 20 car grids run smooth once the field has spread out, it all does look markedly less pretty now.

It's all rather disappointing, starting to wonder if DK2 is a bit pointless now and just wait for CV1 or Vive to get released (hopefully by then all the game developers will have everything working sweet).

Assetto Corsa is pretty much the only game I still enjoy with the rift now. I have to use the old 0.5 runtimes for that however so I don't know how long that will last. Might be time to shelve the racing cockpit for a few months and start all over again then.

Oh well.

EDIT: I should probably clarify I have no complaints against any game developers or oculus in saying the above. I fully accept the DK2 is prototype technology so it's likely just not possible to get the full experience I am after with the current hardware/software. That's the nature of the beast as it now stands, and I am certainly of the belief I've gotten my money's worth while testing the DK2 and the games I've tried.

I just think we won't get the full experience we want until the full release versions are ready and we're probably flogging a dead horse now. As an example, NVidia are making gameworks VR in their drivers which (if I read it correctly) will allow game developers to specific each video card in an SLI setup to render each of the screens in a VR headset separately .... That seems to be a huge step forward in sharing the load and one hopes would make a huge difference.

VR with all the prettiness and goodies enabled will happen, but I suspect not with the DK2. Looking forward to it as I simply can't go back to flat screen for driving sims now, I've tried and it felt like I was playing pong in the 70s again. :)

Cheers

LOST IN VR
14-08-2015, 23:48
so there is still no mirror in the desktop mirror, right?! just black screen with HUD ... no taking photos, no recording gameplay.
that was what i am waiting for :(

TrevorAustin
15-08-2015, 01:08
so there is still no mirror in the desktop mirror, right?! just black screen with HUD ... no taking photos, no recording gameplay.
that was what i am waiting for :(

Nope, but then none of that was suggested to be in this patch. What was, was performance improvements, and for some unknown reason it's gone very much the opposite way again:( so now waiting for patch 4 and 0.7 oculus optimisation, maybe with a little less optimism , i think oculus has got what it wanted from its fake dev, really a aoft launch, and has pretty much abandoned us to our £300 bricks. But i got my money's worth:)

What i can't understand is that for both of the last patches the devs were seeing performance improvements and we are seeing reductions, i fimd it extremely unlikely they have bettwr hardware so more than a little confused:)

Maybe less demanding and fussy than us early adopters, lol, and maybe willimg to settle foe much lower settings, demonstrated by the new oculus defaults. I just can't accwpt playing on low settings with top end hardware even if maybe it doesn't look much different.

And with the hardware I've got to need to run 1080p at low to medium settings and practically no aa seems crazy.

And i can't chuck more money at it, there's nowhere to go lol.

silicijevadolina
15-08-2015, 04:31
Yesterday I played the game with the Oculus Rift. I can only say WOOW. In the game (graphics options), I set everything on Ultra and I turned off only what is appropriate for OR and game works very smoothly.

Ramjet
15-08-2015, 05:01
Got mine working with the latest graphics driver but I had to uninstall the Oculus SDK, disconnect the Rift physically, then re-install Oculus SDK and lastly reconnect Rift before I could get it working. Prior to that the PC would freeze everytime I tried to open the Oculus config show demo and gave an exception error when trying to run pCars.

Now that it is working I regrettably have to say it is disappointing, SLI is not usuable due to excessive judder ( it was stated it was fixed in the patch notes ) and overall I cannot see any real performance increase. And whatever happened to the excellent raindrops on our visor effect ? The Rift experience was almost perfect for mine back when it ran in extended, mostly due to SLI working and being able to have everything on Ultra or High with awesome rain effects. But I realise progress meant dropping extended mode and unfortunately the quality of experience has been sacrificed in the process and is proving harder to get back than anticipated.

I remain hopeful that the Oculus SDK 0.7 update activates the expected Rift updates and fixes. It is possible SMS had compiled the fixes knowing that 0.7 is coming in less than a week - that certainly would explain a few things.

TrevorAustin
15-08-2015, 08:31
Got mine working with the latest graphics driver but I had to uninstall the Oculus SDK, disconnect the Rift physically, then re-install Oculus SDK and lastly reconnect Rift before I could get it working. Prior to that the PC would freeze everytime I tried to open the Oculus config show demo and gave an exception error when trying to run pCars.

Now that it is working I regrettably have to say it is disappointing, SLI is not usuable due to excessive judder ( it was stated it was fixed in the patch notes ) and overall I cannot see any real performance increase. And whatever happened to the excellent raindrops on our visor effect ? The Rift experience was almost perfect for mine back when it ran in extended, mostly due to SLI working and being able to have everything on Ultra or High with awesome rain effects. But I realise progress meant dropping extended mode and unfortunately the quality of experience has been sacrificed in the process and is proving harder to get back than anticipated.

I remain hopeful that the Oculus SDK 0.7 update activates the expected Rift updates and fixes. It is possible SMS had compiled the fixes knowing that 0.7 is coming in less than a week - that certainly would explain a few things.

Very much my experience, although i think you misinterpreted the notes re sli. I read that as sli won't work in the rift so they've removed sli code that was causing problems.

Ramjet
15-08-2015, 16:37
Yeah i read those notes again and it seems ambiguous to me. However with sli disabled and same low settings as prior to patch I now have a lower frame rate and noticeable struggle to maintain 75fps and that is with all AA off. It is quite bad and unplayable on rift for me now so it is another step backwards which I really cannot understand based on what was expected.

TrevorAustin
15-08-2015, 16:48
Yeah i read those notes again and it seems ambiguous to me. However with sli disabled and same low settings as prior to patch I now have a lower frame rate and noticeable struggle to maintain 75fps and that is with all AA off. It is quite bad and unplayable on rift for me now so it is another step backwards which I really cannot understand based on what was expected.

It gets worse, been through my normal testing routine. On the start grid at spa, 30 cars, I am now UNDER 40% GPU use and under 60% on any core. This is 20%+ down on pre patch 3 in the rift. Corresponding very well with the 25% performance reduction. So I'm afraid as much as I want to love patch 3 from the notes I would honestly rather go back to 1.4.

I don't understand how, with all the performance improvements expected, we are now down another 25% performance on top of the 20% or so we lost in patch 2. Obviously I get that the rift is far from a priority, but any changes should at least be improvements not making it a worse experience.

Actually really not sure what to do. Almost pleased my pedals are still broken and I'm having to use the clutch as a brake, lol. At least I'm not missing anything.
I do hope for an actual response on this and why it's happened, not expecting an instant fix but an explanation would be good.

The Xbox 1 users might have started badly but at leasy they are getting better. Every patch for me has been a degradation in visual performance, I was happy pre patch 1:) understood how to stop all the crashing and the rift experience was amazing on a 970 and stock clocked 4690. Now it's below average on a 980TI and 4.6Ghz 5820:)

If I turn pretty much everything to low I can just maintain 75FPS on the start line. with 52% GPU use and 65% CPU use, there is something very wrong with how this game is talking to the rift drivers. With thos same settings on 5760*1080 I get over 100FPS! I'm just going to double check that, seems ridiculous.

Edit, I was wrong, I have lost performance in 2D as well, not sure how much as it's never really bothered me. However with Bezel corrected 5862*1080 I am getting over 80FPS on the startline, increasing to over 140 during the race, at over 3* the rift resolution. GPU maxed out and CPU Core 1 at about 75%

Ramjet
16-08-2015, 04:36
I wonder now have gains been made in performance in other areas at the expense of VR, else why has performance degraded so much ? I am now looking at ways to return my game to patch 1.4 so that I can go back to extended mode and enjoy pCars once again. I have been really enjoying Assetto Corsa & Dirt Rally these past few months but I miss pCars for the races at night and in the rain. I do wish there was another alternative but I had relatively no lag and excellent peformance prior to the changes that removed extended mode and in order to play in vr that seems the only option.

TrevorAustin
16-08-2015, 10:35
I wonder now have gains been made in performance in other areas at the expense of VR, else why has performance degraded so much ? I am now looking at ways to return my game to patch 1.4 so that I can go back to extended mode and enjoy pCars once again. I have been really enjoying Assetto Corsa & Dirt Rally these past few months but I miss pCars for the races at night and in the rain. I do wish there was another alternative but I had relatively no lag and excellent peformance prior to the changes that removed extended mode and in order to play in vr that seems the only option.

I couldn't agree more, i tried hard to do that last patch, bur there is no way unless sms gave ua some sort of special non steam access, and that isn't going to happen.
I miss the 50 car full day cycles at le mans, that i could easily do with a 970 with no issues.

I do wish we could have an explanation of the 2 huge performance drops when both times performance was promised to improve.

I think it is the attempt to use the new oculus sdk that is causing the problems, other games are getting it too.what doesn't make sense is the devs aren't seeing the same issues and are seeing 10&20% improvements and we are seeing the complete opposite. They can't be using beyer hardware sowhat is it. And they also don't appear to wamt to interact over these issues like they do with all the other problems. Maybe there is an nda and they know what it is but can't discuss. But then why promise performance gains?

I'm very confused

AussieStig
16-08-2015, 10:46
I just got this game recently in anticipation of the direct mode implementation and improved performance in the DK2. What I got was, a blurry mess that can't even hold a candle to the latency and clarity of Assetto Corsa with extended mode and sweetfx. WTH mate? I was certainly misinformed or misled when it came to all the hype around direct mode in PC. I know I have an AMD 7970 3GB Matrix GPU, but in AC it is rock solid.

I have everything turned down to low or off and it just barely gives me a judder free experience and a pixelated image, but I can at least drive a few laps before wanting to go back to AC.

Cheers AussieStig

TrevorAustin
16-08-2015, 11:16
Perhaps i need to try ac again, problem is the gameplay and what we had in patch 1.4 ruined ac for me, then stopped delivering.

AussieStig
16-08-2015, 11:36
I would say give a go mate, it was recently updated and the FFB is fantastic now. Cheers AussieStig

TrevorAustin
16-08-2015, 12:25
I would say give a go mate, it was recently updated and the FFB is fantastic now. Cheers AussieStig

Still 0.5 runtime needed? Do you have a good sweetfx profile i could use?

Ramjet
16-08-2015, 12:35
Does anyone know why the raindrops do not appear on the helmet visor or windscreen of car anymore in VR ? There are new rain effects that look incredible on a monitor but do not activate at all on the Rift. This effect previously worked perfectly and gave such a huge sense of immersion especially in the open wheelers but it has mysteriously been removed with no apparent explanation - at least not that I have read anywhere.

I am now quite miserable & frustrated as I have spent all day trying to optimize pCars to get some semblance of the enjoyment I had over the past year prior to these updates. Problem is, it was so damned good before that I just cannot believe or accept this current VR version when I know how much improvements/advances have been made in the game everywhere else! :upset:

Please Martin or someone else in the Render code team explain to us what is going on and is this just a temporary setback before we see a huge improvement at least back to what we enjoyed when extended mode worked a month or so back ? :confused:

TrevorAustin
16-08-2015, 12:49
Does anyone know why the raindrops do not appear on the helmet visor or windscreen of car anymore in VR ? There are new rain effects that look incredible on a monitor but do not activate at all on the Rift. This effect previously worked perfectly and gave such a huge sense of immersion especially in the open wheelers but it has mysteriously been removed with no apparent explanation - at least not that I have read anywhere.

I am now quite miserable & frustrated as I have spent all day trying to optimize pCars to get some semblance of the enjoyment I had over the past year prior to these updates. Problem is, it was so damned good before that I just cannot believe or accept this current VR version when I know how much improvements/advances have been made in the game everywhere else! :upset:

Please Martin or someone else in the Render code team explain to us what is going on and is this just a temporary setback before we see a huge improvement at least back to what we enjoyed when extended mode worked a month or so back ? :confused:

Yes, some sort of discussion about what has and is going to happen would be nice, can't expect it over the weekend but it would be very useful to understand why we are going backwards.

The raindrops is something to do with the HUD being implemented. For some reason, with the HUD (which I agree is a VERY useful addition in VR, but would happily give up if it gets us back what we've lost) the raindrops hit and stick to the HUD rather than the visor. SO had to be turned off. But never been an explanation of why and when/if it will be fixed. They do appear on the windscreen for me, was testing with the DTM metc last night, and the wipers clear them, but the movements and rivulets seem to be missing. (By default raindrops have been turned OFF in graphicsconfigoculus.xml - I know that isn't quite right:)

TrevorAustin
16-08-2015, 13:30
Well holy crap!

AC works fine in extended mode in 0.6.0.1 and the latest NVidia driver, all settings on max and a solid 74.5 FPS in the rift. AA needs alittle bit of tweaking but other than that, amazing.

And the biggest shock was a sunny day at Monza actually looks like a sunny day at Monza, not just the shadows, but the sun feels real, I forgot that had gone from P Cars with patch 2 onwards, absolute revelation.

SOrry to say it, and I guess not that imporetant in the scheme of things to SMS, understandably for now, but the game really has lost it's way in the rift, it isn't just performance, it's the overall experience, the wow factor has completely gone. In AC just now I could feel the heat of the Italian sun. If only their formula car wasn't so bloody crap.

AussieStig
16-08-2015, 13:40
Hey Trevor give these a whirl mate, if you haven't got em this will amaze you in AC.

Let me know how you get on, cheers AussieStig

TrevorAustin
16-08-2015, 14:17
Hey Trevor give these a whirl mate, if you haven't got em this will amaze you in AC.

Let me know how you get on, cheers AussieStig

Thanks pal. Just stuffing my face in nandos then home to play. What do you do about the weird autoexposure in ac when you get the near whiteout in cockpit cars?

AussieStig
16-08-2015, 15:55
Hey mate go to Documents > Assetto Corsa >cfg. >Filters >S1 Dynamic open with notepad and change value of Enabled Auto Exposure from 1 to 0 save changes and Bob's yer Aunty.

Let me know how you get on cheers mate, AussieStig

AussieStig
16-08-2015, 16:04
Hey mate go to Documents > Assetto Corsa >cfg. >Filters >S1 Dynamic open with notepad and change value of Enabled Auto Exposure from 1 to 0 save changes and Bob's yer Aunty.

Not sure why, but this used to be in the PPFilters folder, mine is empty now and my contrast is ok with the standard settings, but if your PPFilters folder has files in it try there first.

Cheers AussieStig

TrevorAustin
16-08-2015, 16:47

Found them they're saved in the main game files now.

All looks superb:)

However one interesting thing I've found, as I| turned levels of AA up to silly amounts to test it. My GPU is still stuck at 55%!!!! Exactly the same as Project Cars, it looks good in AC because it is nowhere near as demanding, but that proves conclusively for me that the problems are with the Oculus runtime. If I can be bothrered I might drop back to 0.5 and see if AC uses more GPU, but don't really need to as 55% on AC gives me lots of goodies and fun. All those mods to choose, lol.

AussieStig
16-08-2015, 18:14
Under Filters as I said? Also do you lock camera to horizon in AC? Just curious mate. If you check out my YouTube Channel in my signature here below, I have a lot of videos of modded cars with the download links to them. Make sure you try the Mazda 787b, it is properly fast and on the Nordschleife its your own personal roller coaster :-) cheers AussieStig

PS if you want to see real elevation change, set the the camera to lock to horizon under video settings, you won't believe it mate :-P

Found them they're saved in the main game files now.

All looks superb:)

However one interesting thing I've found, as I| turned levels of AA up to silly amounts to test it. My GPU is still stuck at 55%!!!! Exactly the same as Project Cars, it looks good in AC because it is nowhere near as demanding, but that proves conclusively for me that the problems are with the Oculus runtime. If I can be bothrered I might drop back to 0.5 and see if AC uses more GPU, but don't really need to as 55% on AC gives me lots of goodies and fun. All those mods to choose, lol.

Monsthor
16-08-2015, 20:03
Has anyone found the reason for the performance drop? Mine is massive: My 970+4770K @4,5Ghz suddenly can't handle the game in Dk2 at any settings, it's just a stutterparty! Even with everthing to low/deactivated. I tried different drivers, no help. I hope it's something like the 'V-sync issue' a month back. Did anyone notice a difference for the shadows? They only show up in one eye again for me.

Damn, I was/am so excited about the FFB changes last time and I get a better sense of scale with this patch

Monsthor
16-08-2015, 20:06
...My GPU is still stuck at 55%!!!! Exactly the same as Project Cars, it looks good in AC because it is nowhere near as demanding, but that proves conclusively for me that the problems are with the Oculus runtime...

I noticed low cpu/gpu usage as well :(

TrevorAustin
16-08-2015, 20:11
Under Filters as I said? Also do you lock camera to horizon in AC? Just curious mate. If you check out my YouTube Channel in my signature here below, I have a lot of videos of modded cars with the download links to them. Make sure you try the Mazda 787b, it is properly fast and on the Nordschleife its your own personal roller coaster :-) cheers AussieStig

PS if you want to see real elevation change, set the the camera to lock to horizon under video settings, you won't believe it mate :-P

I have only done it with the camera unlocked, been messing all afternoon. Graphically it still isn't P cars, but smoothness is loads better and sharpness, after I just went back to P cars, is unreal. P Cars looks soooo blurry.

That Mazda looks amazing, downloaded ready for my next session:) WHich Oculus runtime do you use with Assetto?

But the physics and feel just isn't there, the best car I've found is the Red bull F1 mod, but I'll take a look at your videos later too. The Mclaren is awful (F1 mod) but looks great. I am really convinced the issue HAS to be with Oculus runtimes - due to the low GPU use in AC and PCars, but why not just tell us.

Has anyone found the reason for the performance drop? Mine is massive: My 970+4770K @4,5Ghz suddenly can't handle the game in Dk2 at any settings, it's just a stutterparty! Even with everthing to low/deactivated. I tried different drivers, no help. I hope it's something like the 'V-sync issue' a month back. Did anyone notice a difference for the shadows? They only show up in one eye again for me.

Damn, I was/am so excited about the FFB changes last time and I get a better sense of scale with this patch

Yep, I was too, I am almost certain it is the Oculus 0.6.0.1 runtime integration, just not using the GPU for some reason, or hogging the CPU. AC has exactly the same issue even in extended mode, GPU never goes above 54%

The last drop in patch 2 was I think exactly the same reason. I believe that the Oculus runtime is way too CPU intensive, similar issue to the AMD drive problem P Cars had, and still has to some extent. So our only real hope is 0.7 on Thursday, although maybe even worse again, and may need PCars optimisation before we see any improvements. Currently over the last two patches/Oculus runtime 'upgrades' we are 40-50% down on rift performance.

Shadows I can see no difference at all from prior to patch, still can't be used, but I haven't got any spare performance anyway.

Monsthor
16-08-2015, 20:25
... So our only real hope is 0.7 on Thursday, although maybe even worse again, and may need PCars optimisation before we see any improvements. Currently over the last two patches/Oculus runtime 'upgrades' we are 40-50% down on rift performance.

That was what I was thinking. Damn, I did not expect much until last month, where things came together for me and now this... :D Thanks for the reply and your testing anyway

... Shadows I can see no difference at all from prior to patch, still can't be used, but I haven't got any spare performance anyway.

I just read the patch fixes and could not spot ongoing work and thought somebody else might; but they perhaps, just meant to mention they are working on it?

TrevorAustin
16-08-2015, 21:00
That was what I was thinking. Damn, I did not expect much until last month, where things came together for me and now this... :D Thanks for the reply and your testing anyway

I just read the patch fixes and could not spot ongoing work and thought somebody else might; but they perhaps, just meant to mention they are working on it?

Yes, i guess so, but then they presumably are working on lots of things:)

For immersion we really do want those shadows, retrying ac today showed me how much difference they make.

AussieStig
16-08-2015, 21:00
Hey Trevor, I am using 0.6.0.1. Runtime. Try the Formula Renault 3.5, this car is so cool and the sounds are the dogs dangly bits!!!! You have to try the Mazda 787b with camera locked to the horizon and the Nordschleife, I guarantee you, your stomach will be in your mouth at the bottom of some the hills, just before you ascend is true to life. I know because I drove our car on the real thing a few weeks ago!!! Check it out here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHsMTLHz70E).

Cheers mate, AussieStig

I have only done it with the camera unlocked, been messing all afternoon. Graphically it still isn't P cars, but smoothness is loads better and sharpness, after I just went back to P cars, is unreal. P Cars looks soooo blurry.

That Mazda looks amazing, downloaded ready for my next session:) WHich Oculus runtime do you use with Assetto?

But the physics and feel just isn't there, the best car I've found is the Red bull F1 mod, but I'll take a look at your videos later too. The Mclaren is awful (F1 mod) but looks great. I am really convinced the issue HAS to be with Oculus runtimes - due to the low GPU use in AC and PCars, but why not just tell us.

Yep, I was too, I am almost certain it is the Oculus 0.6.0.1 runtime integration, just not using the GPU for some reason, or hogging the CPU. AC has exactly the same issue even in extended mode, GPU never goes above 54%

The last drop in patch 2 was I think exactly the same reason. I believe that the Oculus runtime is way too CPU intensive, similar issue to the AMD drive problem P Cars had, and still has to some extent. So our only real hope is 0.7 on Thursday, although maybe even worse again, and may need PCars optimisation before we see any improvements. Currently over the last two patches/Oculus runtime 'upgrades' we are 40-50% down on rift performance.

Shadows I can see no difference at all from prior to patch, still can't be used, but I haven't got any spare performance anyway.

TrevorAustin
16-08-2015, 21:12
Hey Trevor, I am using 0.6.0.1. Runtime. Try the Formula Renault 3.5, this car is so cool and the sounds are the dogs dangly bits!!!! You have to try the Mazda 787b with camera locked to the horizon and the Nordschleife, I guarantee you, your stomach will be in your mouth at the bottom of some the hills, just before you ascend is true to life. I know because I drove our car on the real thing a few weeks ago!!! Check it out here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHsMTLHz70E).

Cheers mate, AussieStig

I just had a quick go, what a great car. But i need my clutch back, hopefully tonorrow.

The renault is awesone but game keeps crashing using that. And can't see why.

John Hargreaves
16-08-2015, 21:30
You guys with the development kits must keep at it. The OR is so far up where no man has gone before that there are bound to be ups and downs even at this stage, but all the testing and feedback will serve to make the retail version worth the wait. Once word gets out about the final OR+pCars experience it will be a massive shot in the arm for pCars sales too because everyone will want the killer apps for it.
You are the test pilots and we will all be grateful for your input by this time next year.

TrevorAustin
16-08-2015, 21:42
You guys with the development kits must keep at it. The OR is so far up where no man has gone before that there are bound to be ups and downs even at this stage, but all the testing and feedback will serve to make the retail version worth the wait. Once word gets out about the final OR+pCars experience it will be a massive shot in the arm for pCars sales too because everyone will want the killer apps for it.
You are the test pilots and we will all be grateful for your input by this time next year.

I hope that's how sms sees it:) but i keep saying ir, some interaction ref issues and the testing would be good and there is practically none

Actuslly feels like sms just don't see it, just the few orher dk2 users.all the discussion is about the problems where currently the much bigger numbers are, understandably but annoyingly as very few of rhem borher me:)

Ramjet
17-08-2015, 01:42
@John Hargreaves ~ I hear what you're saying but Project Cars on the Dk2 is no longer at a level which makes it playable - the lower graphics & loss of certain effects like raindrops could be overlooked if not for the inability now to maintain 75fps which is absolutely critical to a comfortable experience without feeling sick. I was not bothered about shadows and for me the Hud was unusable due to being locked to the visor, I would much prefer to have kept the raindrops effect.

The degradation is just so totally unexpected & absolutely disappointing after such a long time. It was the best VR racing experience hands down not so long ago. Why everything has gone backwards so drastically, after being told the last two patches would bring improvements, has not been explained though it should.

TrevorAustin
17-08-2015, 16:52
Hmmm, no response again:) I'm moving to Xbox, lol.

John Hargreaves
17-08-2015, 20:04
The main SMS guy, Martin, who has worked a lot of the magic with the OR has been pretty quiet for a week or two, and I think he said he was taking a bit of a well earned break. It may be that there will be a bit of a wait before SMS pick up the OR stuff. If we can get him back on the case great things will come.

RaceNut
17-08-2015, 21:16
The main SMS guy, Martin, who has worked a lot of the magic with the OR has been pretty quiet for a week or two, and I think he said he was taking a bit of a well earned break. It may be that there will be a bit of a wait before SMS pick up the OR stuff. If we can get him back on the case great things will come.
In Griff we trust!:)

TrevorAustin
17-08-2015, 21:50

Well everybody deserves a break, especially this bloody lot:) But he has always been quiet on here ref. the rift, other than a couple of posts saying I've fixed that and you'll gain 20% performance, etc. Which hasn't happened and no reason why, which I'm sure there is.

Perhaps he's just quiet and gets on with it, good for productivity, shite for PR:)

He got really involved in the 980Ti SLI thread, but then seemed to fade away on it, loads of good testing, but no end result.

I think the driver for 980Ti needs a lot of work from Nvidia still, and I'm sure all our problems are down to the 0.6 runtimes, but please just explain and tell us. Not like it's lynch mob time in this thread like elsewhere has been, lol.

Monsthor
18-08-2015, 19:47
Yes, the pitchforks are in the shed, where they belong. But talking about things helps (the impatient and curious)... :)

RaceNut
18-08-2015, 20:23
It does seem as though a lot of changes are converging on VR development at one time; game updates, GPU Driver updates, OVR updates, General VR-related updates within the GPU pipeline, firmware, etc., not to mention a new OS to boot (PtP). I doubt many developers know how all of these things are going to affect the DK2 at this point and don't want to mislead anyone either. I can't say I blame them and for all we know, they may be under NDA regarding future VR developments.

TrevorAustin
18-08-2015, 20:33
Ndas are fine and probably in place, so just say like they did intbe console forums, but don't offer 20-40% improvement, deliver 25% reduction and just go quiet:) twice in a row, lol

Is Ian even aware it's gone wrong again, or are all the devs fighting the multiplayer hordes.

SMS PC Lead
18-08-2015, 22:22
Ndas are fine and probably in place, so just say like they did intbe console forums, but don't offer 20-40% improvement, deliver 25% reduction and just go quiet:) twice in a row, lol

Is Ian even aware it's gone wrong again, or are all the devs fighting the multiplayer hordes.

Hey - I'm currently on vacation (back Monday) and Ian is in the middle of a house move....

I wasn't around for the testing of Patch 3.0 so it's entirely possible something was broken with the Rift in the patch finalling process. But Stephen and myself extensively tested the improvements last month and they were a step forward. I noticed that you said in a prior post that you couldn't actually drive around the track because of some setup issue, so I'm not entirely sure how you've come to your 25% figure - also measuring GPU usage with VSync enabled /(like Rift has forced) is the cause of a lot of confusion : if we optimise the renderer, GPU usage will go down in the same scenario from one build to the next....

Anyway, FWIW my focus when I return will be on things like Oculus, better Triple Screen support and finishing our DX12 implementation in the short term.

John Hargreaves
18-08-2015, 22:38
Just make sure you enjoy your last few days off, see you next week :cool:

TrevorAustin
18-08-2015, 23:17
Hey - I'm currently on vacation (back Monday) and Ian is in the middle of a house move....

I wasn't around for the testing of Patch 3.0 so it's entirely possible something was broken with the Rift in the patch finalling process. But Stephen and myself extensively tested the improvements last month and they were a step forward. I noticed that you said in a prior post that you couldn't actually drive around the track because of some setup issue, so I'm not entirely sure how you've come to your 25% figure - also measuring GPU usage with VSync enabled /(like Rift has forced) is the cause of a lot of confusion : if we optimise the renderer, GPU usage will go down in the same scenario from one build to the next....

Anyway, FWIW my focus when I return will be on things like Oculus, better Triple Screen support and finishing our DX12 implementation in the short term.

Holidays are OK, I've got one too, driving to the Costa Brava, sadly not in one of the P Cars dream cars, just a Honda:) it was just a broken brake PCB, I've got some t3pas so I can carry on driving while fanatec send out a load of spares.

I do understand that about GPU use and vsync, completely, but if I'm getting judder because I can olny hit 45fps, or so, and GPU use is at 40% and CPU at 60-% (highest core) something else is amiss. Don't think it's your code, but it's the poor Oculus runtimes, but I can't get how you saw those big improvements with some fixes and queue ahead, etc.

I can easily get my GPU to 98%+ in 2D with 60hz Vsync on, or a simulated 75fps cap. Just a little fiddling with the graphics settings. At the moment, 30 cars in triple screen 5800*1080 with bezel correction and exactly the same settings as the rift gives me 98% GPU, turn a setting up and frame rate drops, turn one down and GPU drops but framerate stable due to Vsync. I should be able to do that with the rift, but it makes hardly any difference what settings I use, hopefully all change Thursday when 0.7 SDK is out.

However AC and Elite D exhibit the same issues with GPU use and again only in the rift, but most people don't notice as they are very undemanding in comparison.

I'd love to help out here if I could, too many years experience and done loads of testing already.

Anyway, it isn't urgent, pleased you're all getting some time off and I'm back having fun in PCars just reduced the field from 30 to 24 and it's exactly the same as before the patch, so all good. (there's that 25%ish again, lol, I am pretty certain of it)

And thanks for taking the time to post, that does actually make a difference.

fitzsteve
19-08-2015, 09:05
Hi, thanks for the guide it really helped yesterday setting my DK2 up :)

Project Cars seems to work ok for me except the tracker seems to bounce around to some weird positions like behind the car, anyone else experience this? I re-center it and it's fine for a while then starts playing up again. i don't experience this on other software, just project cars. Otherwise it's absolutely fantastic to drive around! I have all the settings on low for now to achieve a decent frame rate but it's great to hear the implementation is being worked on along with DX12/triple screen support which will be ideal as I have SLI and have been playing in 2D surround until now.

My system specs of it helps, 2x GTX660 in SLI, AMD FX-8350, 8gb Ram, Logitech Momo Racing Wheel. I also have an XB360 controller connected for navigating the menu's. System is running Windows 7

I have another PC running an i5 3570k and GTX970 which would be better suited but that's on Windows 10 and I can get the Rift working with it (even with the workarounds posted)

Thanks in advance for any info :)

TrevorAustin
19-08-2015, 09:38
Hi, thanks for the guide it really helped yesterday setting my DK2 up :)

Project Cars seems to work ok for me except the tracker seems to bounce around to some weird positions like behind the car, anyone else experience this? I re-center it and it's fine for a while then starts playing up again. i don't experience this on other software, just project cars. Otherwise it's absolutely fantastic to drive around! I have all the settings on low for now to achieve a decent frame rate but it's great to hear the implementation is being worked on along with DX12/triple screen support which will be ideal as I have SLI and have been playing in 2D surround until now.

My system specs of it helps, 2x GTX660 in SLI, AMD FX-8350, 8gb Ram, Logitech Momo Racing Wheel. I also have an XB360 controller connected for navigating the menu's. System is running Windows 7

I have another PC running an i5 3570k and GTX970 which would be better suited but that's on Windows 10 and I can get the Rift working with it (even with the workarounds posted)

Thanks in advance for any info :)

The workarounds don't work properly for the rift and direct mode, not worth wasting your time with. There is a small chance of tomorrows oculus release having win 10 functionality, if not support, so fingers crossed.

fitzsteve
19-08-2015, 10:32
Thanks for the tip. I'm actually getting pretty decent results for now on the 660's in SLI. Most Direct to Rift stuff runs perfect so the system is pretty capable, I noticed the Vox Demo has similar tracking glitches to project cars, do you have any idea what might cause that? Too much light in the room maybe? I'm going to try a few things but I have plenty of stuff to keep me busy for now! :)

TrevorAustin
19-08-2015, 11:06
Thanks for the tip. I'm actually getting pretty decent results for now on the 660's in SLI. Most Direct to Rift stuff runs perfect so the system is pretty capable, I noticed the Vox Demo has similar tracking glitches to project cars, do you have any idea what might cause that? Too much light in the room maybe? I'm going to try a few things but I have plenty of stuff to keep me busy for now! :)

I am pretty sure you aren't getting SLI in the rift, I'm sure direct is implemented as windowed mode so SLI won't work, you might find it's introducing some slowdown. it would be worth trying single card mode and see if that is as good or better. This is only 2nd hand info though, not first hand as I haven't got my second 980Ti, yet:)

Monsthor
19-08-2015, 12:05
Thank you for the reply and enjoy your vacation! (and sorry?)

Best T.

crowtrobot
19-08-2015, 12:16
Thank you for the response PC SMS Lead, always clear and communicative. Much apppreciated, enjoy the vacation, looking forward to the updates.

(FWIW: I'm on a single 780Ti, heavily CPU-bound on this old 2400 and haven't really been seeing any performance decrease over the patches. Though I did run an LMP2 race at Hockenheim with 19 AI, which usually isn't an issue, but I was getting 40 some frames a second and seeing the same sort of ghosting when moving my head as people saw on PS4 at launch. Other than that, great.)

TrevorAustin
19-08-2015, 12:19
Thank you for the response PC SMS Lead, always clear and communicative. Much apppreciated, enjoy the vacation, looking forward to the updates.

(FWIW: I'm on a single 780Ti, heavily CPU-bound on this old 2400 and haven't really been seeing any performance decrease over the patches. Though I did run an LMP2 race at Hockenheim with 19 AI, which usually isn't an issue, but I was getting 40 some frames a second and seeing the same sort of ghosting when moving my head as people saw on PS4 at launch. Other than that, great.)

That drop to 40 FPS is symptoamtic of the juddering introduced with the direct mode. Let's hope Oculus fix it tomorrow:) I'm not holding my breath, lol.

fitzsteve
19-08-2015, 12:32
Thanks for the reply. I did some research and SLI should be worth some extra performance with the Rift, I just tried PCars on single GPU and when I try to start an event I get ERROR Unhandled exception trapped.EXCEPTION ACCESS VIOLATION and the game crashes :( Works fine in SLI with the Rift so that's weird.

TrevorAustin
19-08-2015, 12:46
Thanks for the reply. I did some research and SLI should be worth some extra performance with the Rift, I just tried PCars on single GPU and when I try to start an event I get ERROR Unhandled exception trapped.EXCEPTION ACCESS VIOLATION and the game crashes :( Works fine in SLI with the Rift so that's weird.

It shouldn't though:) have you read the notes for Patch 3, it even says in there it won't work and they have removed the SLI code for the rift rendering:)

Can't help with you getting it working on one card though as I don't have an SLI setup yet. The lead developer has also said not to use SLI as it didn't work properly in extended mode or at all in direct mode. However if you're happy and not getting problems no need to change I guess!

Ramjet
19-08-2015, 13:51
Thanks for the input Martin and glad you had a break as you guys have been at it for a long time now.

Regarding sli, it always worked near perfect for me in Extended mode for over a year. Slight wonkiness when moving the head quickly but otherwise excellent. SLI now does not work in Direct mode either in pCars or Dirt Rally or ETS2 so I assume it is an Oculus driver problem, I had thought Martin fixed it for patch 3.0 but realise I misunderstood what was written. Do you mind Martin to explain what this conflict of sli & direct mode is ?

Crowtrobot, wow how do you not see a decrease in performance on the dk2 ? I definitely am not imagining it and unless you can maintain a steady 75fps then the Rift experience will be unpleasant due to the judder and blur, unless you hold you head perfectly still which is pretty impossible in the Rift. At least from here things can only get better, right ?

TrevorAustin
19-08-2015, 20:38
Thanks for the input Martin and glad you had a break as you guys have been at it for a long time now.

Regarding sli, it always worked near perfect for me in Extended mode for over a year. Slight wonkiness when moving the head quickly but otherwise excellent. SLI now does not work in Direct mode either in pCars or Dirt Rally or ETS2 so I assume it is an Oculus driver problem, I had thought Martin fixed it for patch 3.0 but realise I misunderstood what was written. Do you mind Martin to explain what this conflict of sli & direct mode is ?

Crowtrobot, wow how do you not see a decrease in performance on the dk2 ? I definitely am not imagining it and unless you can maintain a steady 75fps then the Rift experience will be unpleasant due to the judder and blur, unless you hold you head perfectly still which is pretty impossible in the Rift. At least from here things can only get better, right ?

Regarding extended mode, My understanding is direct mode is windowed mode, hence the mirrored HUD window, and SLI, so I'm told, doesn't work in extended mode.

SO hopefully tomorrows SDK release, should it happen, will be a lot of things, maybe also non windowed to support SLI, or they have worked with AMD/Nvidia to support SLI in windowed mode/

fitzsteve
20-08-2015, 11:45
It shouldn't though:) have you read the notes for Patch 3, it even says in there it won't work and they have removed the SLI code for the rift rendering:)

Can't help with you getting it working on one card though as I don't have an SLI setup yet. The lead developer has also said not to use SLI as it didn't work properly in extended mode or at all in direct mode. However if you're happy and not getting problems no need to change I guess!

I bit the bullet and swapped my 2 660's for my 970 out of the other PC, Pcars works perfect now, butter smooth - it's fantastic! No more funny tracking issue either so I definitely recommend single GPU over SLI. I might sell my 2 660's and put the money towards a 980 as the 970 is still a bit slow on some VR stuff.

TrevorAustin
20-08-2015, 11:55
I bit the bullet and swapped my 2 660's for my 970 out of the other PC, Pcars works perfect now, butter smooth - it's fantastic! No more funny tracking issue either so I definitely recommend single GPU over SLI. I might sell my 2 660's and put the money towards a 980 as the 970 is still a bit slow on some VR stuff.

Good news,but think you'll find it isn't the 970, check your gpu use when you think it's slow, if it's under 90% it's not your 970

oliver2000
20-08-2015, 12:21
wow how do you not see a decrease in performance on the dk2 ?

I can only say that I am pretty disappointed from both 2.0 and 3.0 patches (in context with DK2). With original release of the game I was be able to drive pretty solid with a simple nvidia 670 around and actually praised the game as best race game for my DK2 which was complete gone after 2.0 patch. I switched to Nvidia GTX 970 and even with all on low pretty sad results. Yes, the tracking got better but thats about it. I decided to forget about pcars for a moment and hoped for the next patch to get better specially because many users reported that with support of newer 0.6.0.1. from Oculus things will get better.

Now with 3.0 patch I dont see any improvement at all and in fact for me it got worth once again for what ever reason. I cant get ever a smooth image out of my rig, even with all off, all low, the image hangs and lacks when I move around with the rift not even thinking on tracks with more details or races with more drivers.

PS: In the same time AC made some tweaks which actually did the opposite and with all maxed out I can drive perfect with my DK2 (0.6.0.1.)

I am still a huge fan of pcars but I am afraid if you do not have the budget to through brutal hardware over the game it isnt playable anymore with the DK2 right now. (at least not pretty or comfortable) thats are steps backwards for me considering that it was much better before with less powerful hardware.

Monsthor
20-08-2015, 13:09
Others have experienced the same and noticed low utilisation of the gpu at the same time. Small glimmer of hope though: the release of the 0.7 runtime today... :)

https://developer.oculus.com/

oliver2000
20-08-2015, 17:28
Others have experienced the same and noticed low utilisation of the gpu at the same time. Small glimmer of hope though: the release of the 0.7 runtime today... :)

https://developer.oculus.com/

I am full convinced the end result will be great, of course we need some patients for now... (ps: even with 0.7 runtime out on Oculus it is going to take some time until pcars patchs again and as far as I know the current pcars will not work with 0.7?! Isnt it?)

TrevorAustin
20-08-2015, 17:57
I am full convinced the end result will be great, of course we need some patients for now... (ps: even with 0.7 runtime out on Oculus it is going to take some time until pcars patchs again and as far as I know the current pcars will not work with 0.7?! Isnt it?)

Current p cars will work with 0.7, if it comes out.

But your experience mirrors mine, it was great on launch with an average card, and i have thrown brutal hardware and money at it and my performanvewis worse than on may 7th:) my Firestrike benchmark has gone from about 5,000 to 18,000 and my p cars performance, only in the rift, is worse! In 2d its fantastic, and flat:(

But i don't think it is p cars to blame,i think it is the cpu killing rift runtimes

cluck
20-08-2015, 18:08
0.7 has been delayed for a week :(

That's it, I'm going back to Windows 7 (coupled with all kinds of other weird problems having developed on my 2-week old fresh install of Windows 10).

ctd
20-08-2015, 19:32

That's it, I'm going back to Windows 7 (coupled with all kinds of other weird problems having developed on my 2-week old fresh install of Windows 10).

Also, confirmed there will be no support for W10 in 0.7 when released in next week, so you probably doing the right thing. For me I don't have much time to play anyway in my current situation so I don't worry to much. :p

TrevorAustin
20-08-2015, 19:45
Also, confirmed there will be no support for W10 in 0.7 when released in next week, so you probably doing the right thing. For me I don't have much time to play anyway in my current situation so I don't worry to much. :p

No support, but no comment if it will work or not.

Must be something seriously wrong, and they don't have a clue what it is to leave the announcement this late, almost hoping they would make it in time.

Just so you can see it isn't only just us/pcars

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=83616

oliver2000
20-08-2015, 20:31
In 2d its fantastic, and flat:( But i don't think it is p cars to blame,i think it is the cpu killing rift runtimes

I am 100% with you, could not have said it better :) and I agree, I am sure this is not pcars team fault at all because they have also little to work with since Oculus is still pretty messy. We cant forget that this is all only developer status and normally not even ready for us to use. We "DK2" user are only doomed because you just cant go back anymore once you are used to drive with your rift. When somebody tell me to just use my screens in the meanwhile I want to scream, because this flat 2D world is really not doing it for me anymore..... :)

CrustyA
20-08-2015, 20:35

Yup, I recently did the exact same thing. It kinda sucks how much more i prefer the rift even with it's shortcomings.
I probably should have never bought it. Ignorance is bliss they say.

Stuggi
20-08-2015, 20:52
Current p cars will work with 0.7, if it comes out.

But your experience mirrors mine, it was great on launch with an average card, and i have thrown brutal hardware and money at it and my performanvewis worse than on may 7th:) my Firestrike benchmark has gone from about 5,000 to 18,000 and my p cars performance, only in the rift, is worse! In 2d its fantastic, and flat:(

But i don't think it is p cars to blame,i think it is the cpu killing rift runtimes

hm, thats strange.... i have a i5 3570k @3,4Ghz and a single 970gtx and everything works perfect with 0.6.0.1 and the dk2 ....got a rift since monday and iam fully overwhelmed from the 3d experience! I dont know how it was before the 3.0 patch cause i had no rift at this time, and i didnt actually measured my fps, but i think theres no big difference running pcars in rift-mode or in 2D-Mode. Only thing i may ask is why is the Field of View settings in Rift Mode not changeable??? I know this question is kinda strange cause the fov-setting should be the same for all rift users, but i have the feeling that something is wrong here. Distances are not right me thinks . 300meters look like 100 meters for example. I have been standing and driven the Nordschleife in real life and thats strange.....cant describe better......and dont really know what is wrong but maybe its the FOV-setting? Does someone share this feeling?

TrevorAustin
20-08-2015, 21:01
hm, thats strange.... i have a i5 3570k @3,4Ghz and a single 970gtx and everything works perfect with 0.6.0.1 and the dk2 ....got a rift since monday and iam fully overwhelmed from the 3d experience! I dont know how it was before the 3.0 patch cause i had no rift at this time, and i didnt actually measured my fps, but i think theres no big difference running pcars in rift-mode or in 2D-Mode. Only thing i may ask is why is the Field of View settings in Rift Mode not changeable??? I know this question is kinda strange cause the fov-setting should be the same for all rift users, but i have the feeling that something is wrong here. Distances are not right me thinks . 300meters look like 100 meters for example. I have been standing and driven the Nordschleife in real life and thats strange.....cant describe better......and dont really know what is wrong but maybe its the FOV-setting? Does someone share this feeling?

Nope, sorry:) FOV is set by the runtime and I'm very comfortable with it as it is.

Don't get me wrong it's still good, but when I could run it at max settings, no judder, 50 car grid at lemans and sweetfx to greatly enhance the view 2 patches ago we are down something like 35-40% in performance, and I could do that with an i5 and a 970 in extended mode.

RaceNut
20-08-2015, 21:54
Does the scale seem off while in Rift mode? If it does, you may need to run the Rift utility and double check your IPD settings. Games reference the OR settings so if they are off, the scale will be too.

Stuggi
20-08-2015, 22:06
Does the scale seem off while in Rift mode? If it does, you may need to run the Rift utility and double check your IPD settings. Games reference the OR settings so if they are off, the scale will be too.

ok, thanks for the suggestion , i will try this.
@TrevorAustin: Ah ok, i thought you had performance issues driving alone in time trial. I havent been trying races with 50 car grid since i got the rift ;) But maybe its getting better when 0.7 arrives ..... But currently iam loving time trial with the rift. Its so much fun when youre new to VR:D
What is sweetfx? -> Off to googling "sweetfx" ;)

TrevorAustin
20-08-2015, 23:29
Hi, time trialling i can max everything, gpu under 50%:) problem was at launch we got spoilt, but instead of getting better its getting worse, lol.

Sweetfx is post processing, doesn't work in direct mode. That ipd measuring was good advice by the way:)

Ramjet
21-08-2015, 10:53
Those people imagining they have a perfect pCars experience with a single 970 are dreaming or delusional, sorry to sound blunt but there is definitely issues causing judder/stutter/lag whatever you want to call it, since the last couple patches and swap to direct mode. Just to add too that I have been an ardent devotee of pCars on the Rift for nearly a year now and I would not make a fuss unduly. :jaded:

I have tried different drivers and downgrading the oculus sdk but even on low settings and 15 ai there is sufficient judder/stutter/lag to force me to abandon any race because there are moments when it is smooth but quickly deteriorates again. Results obviously differ dependant upon the track and number of ai.

I sincerely hope these issues will be seriously looked into and worked on, however with people popping in and saying it works perfectly I worry the issues will be overlooked and priority will move elsewhere.

oliver2000
21-08-2015, 14:17
Those people imagining they have a perfect pCars experience with a single 970 are dreaming or delusional

You are right about that! I guess they just dont know it better! Anybody who does have some experience with the first release and DK2 can see the difference quite brutal and with each patch things got a bit worse. It might be due to the oculus sdk code but it is a fact that pcars is not playable anymore with the same hardware it was pretty smooth before with the rift. Even if some people (well -1%) think all is fine this is not going to change the fact that the developer from pcars know very well the problems already and I am sure they work on it and solve them soon.

It is hard to wait once you had already a lot of fun with your DK2 and pcars, but in my opinion we can only wait patient and in the meanwhile quite frankly drive alternatives...

RaceNut
21-08-2015, 14:43
Pcars and AC DK2 performance are very different at the moment using the 980Ti but, I can't rule out some unidentified PC issues either. AC runs very smooth making good use of the GPU in Rift mode but, I'll have to re-test against Pcars after further investigation.

oliver2000
21-08-2015, 14:48
Pcars and AC DK2 performance are very different at the moment using the 980Ti but, I can't rule out some unidentified PC issues either. AC runs very smooth making good use of the GPU in Rift mode but, I'll have to re-test against Pcars after further investigation.

same here... similar hardware but nvidia 970GTX instead of your 980Ti. AC very smooth, no lacking etc. pcars unplayable with lowest options possible. Of course big difference since AC runs in extended against pcars in direct mode which might be the issue based on the current oculus sdk.

RaceNut
21-08-2015, 15:08
same here... similar hardware but nvidia 970GTX instead of your 980Ti. AC very smooth, no lacking etc. pcars unplayable with lowest options possible. Of course big difference since AC runs in extended against pcars in direct mode which might be the issue based on the current oculus sdk.

Great point, it's not exactly an "apples to apples" comparison but, it does demonstrate how much work needs to be done to reach the goal of Extended Mode performance with Direct Mode low-latency.

iRacing and AC both run excellent but, iRacing uses Direct Mode. I believe AC VR support is built on the much older SDK but, AC VR performance has steadily gotten better for me with each update.

TrevorAustin
21-08-2015, 15:30
You are right about that! I guess they just dont know it better! Anybody who does have some experience with the first release and DK2 can see the difference quite brutal and with each patch things got a bit worse. It might be due to the oculus sdk code but it is a fact that pcars is not playable anymore with the same hardware it was pretty smooth before with the rift. Even if some people (well -1%) think all is fine this is not going to change the fact that the developer from pcars know very well the problems already and I am sure they work on it and solve them soon.

It is hard to wait once you had already a lot of fun with your DK2 and pcars, but in my opinion we can only wait patient and in the meanwhile quite frankly drive alternatives...

Agree completely,

I'm still trying to find a way to go back to the early versions, which I didn't really have many problems with. I have thought of a way:) but not ideal.

As you say, I'm sure it will get fixed when they can see the issues first hand in the next week or so, then hopefully we might get a PC patch to fix it.

But you are also absolutely right, the hardware needed to get any sort of rift experience on the current patch is several times more powerful than needed for the first release.

oliver2000
21-08-2015, 15:54
iRacing and AC both run excellent but, iRacing uses Direct Mode.

I did not touch iRacing long time since the version I used with DK2 did not even support the position camera. Did this change in the meanwhile? Did they already improve since the first DK2 compatibility? I guess I have to check it out later to pass some time... :)

TrevorAustin
21-08-2015, 16:23
Iracing is built on. 5

Trouble in elite, built on. 6 is same as p cars, low gpu use

Abaolutely critical to this in an easily repeatable test is get pcars, if you can, to a judder free frame rate, in my case gpu about 50%. Won't go higher because of vaync, so fair enough. So turn up a graphics setting or adf a few ai, what should happen is a small increase in gpu use and the same frame rate. What actually hapoena is a reduction in gpu use and sropped frame,rate.

Something fundamentally wrong, the lower the graphics aettimgs the higher the gpu use.

RaceNut
21-08-2015, 17:27
I did not touch iRacing long time since the version I used with DK2 did not even support the position camera. Did this change in the meanwhile? Did they already improve since the first DK2 compatibility? I guess I have to check it out later to pass some time... :)

iRacing did get an update pretty early on that fixed some issues with the head-tracking. Later on, they did update the Direct-mode functionality and that works great for most people running the 0.6.9.1 Runtime. It has been suggested by some that iRacing won't be doing any further VR updates until consumer versions arrive but, I don't know if that's official.

TrevorAustin
21-08-2015, 21:33
I am pretty certain this is still cpu bottlenecked, due to tge rift runtime, and I've just realised how to prove it:) 20 mins testing coming.

Monsthor
21-08-2015, 21:51
All right, looking forward to it :)

TrevorAustin
21-08-2015, 22:31
OK, 100% certain this is a CPU issue. And it is ONLY for using the rift.

I can run 30+ cars at very high settings on 2D in triples or 4*DSR 1080P and get 98% pinned usage at a 75FPS frame cap, simulating vsync for the rift.

In the rift with 30 cars and mid-high settings I can get 75FPS at 55% GPU use.

If I decrease graphic settings frame rate stays at 75 and GPU use drops a little, less cars to render. All as expected so far.

However, if I decrease the number of AI to 0 and increase graphics settings the GPU use jumps up to over 80% for a 75FPS Vsync. Gradually increasing the cars gradually increases GPU use until I hit a CPU wall, at which point GPU use starts to drop with frame rate dropping under 75FPS.

So on my system I can run 12-15 AI at all ultra settings and DS4X with VSync pinned at 75 and GPU use hovering around 75-85%. (I Can't get it over this without hitting the CPU wall as the game engine itself is using too much CPU. I would expect not 980Ti cards to achieve higher usage as long as it was matched with a high end CPU, be great if some others could test for me.

Reduce opponents to 0 and increase graphics until you get judder then drop a couple of settings slightly and start to increase the AI until you get judder.

So sadly, despite any good intentions I don't think SMS can really fix this, we need to hope that 0.7 and whatever follows is much less CPU intensive. Maybe SMS can help though if there is any way to reduce CPU use with the OCulus driver.

So three things I would ask of SMS,

1) Please could you attempt to integrate 0.7 if it ever releases and proves to be beneficial This is actually the same in Assetto Corsa, I have tested all 3 games, except of course with P Cars being so CPU intensive anyway the effect is at a much lower number of AI than the others.
2) If you don't already please test with high numbers of AI when you are doing Rift testing, I can completely see how single player mode or 5-10 AI would have tested really well with this and the last patch.
3) Please, please can we have some post processing filters applied in game with similar effects to SweetFX, I can't quite believe the difference in sharpness between AC Rift graphics with SweetFX and the blurriness of P Cars Rift experience with no sweetfx, the resolution looks doubled in AC. Playing it today while testing this and going back to P Cars I took the rift off and rinsed my contact lenses as I thought there was something wrong with them. I had to go back to check I wasn't imagining in AC.

EDIT: Tested at 3 more tracks and 3 different cars, absolutely consistent. The rift experience is significantly more CPU than GPU intensive.

My current settings now are below for 15AI, any less AI it makes no difference, dropping graphics settings makes no difference (other than lower GPU use) Increasing AI drops FPS and GPU.

If I increase AI AND drop graphics I can get a few more AI, but for example 23 AI means I have to drop everything to medium/high, AA to DS2x and particles to low. Plus GPU use drops to 53%

I chose DS2X as in my eyes it looks sharper than DS4x and DS2x