PDA

View Full Version : [ANSWERED] Ghosting Issue

NightShade
07-05-2015, 20:51
(mod edit: ANSWERED http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?23635-I-want-my-money-back&p=897665&viewfull=1#post897665 )

Hello everybody,

just started Project Cars for the first time and i got to admit, browsing through the menues etc, i was very excited.
So i jumped into my first race. Just to quit out a few moments later.
Maybe its an issue with my TV (highly doubt it though cuz its a Samsung UHD TV and games like Driveclub dont have this issue) but the game has terrible ghosting (especially the opponent cars when they drive into a corner).
For me it looks like.....well....like watching a 3D Movie without the required 3D Glasses. I hope you get the idea, its kinda hard to explain. Its like all moving objects leave outlines?
In fact this effect is such a strain on the eyes that I dont feel like doing more then a race in a single run....and thats kinda sad because i just shelled out ~70 bucks for the game!
Anyone else with the same issue?

Invincible
07-05-2015, 21:27
Your Samsung UHD TV should have a "Gaming" mode. Maybe it'll help if you try to switch the display profile to this.

Patrik Marek
07-05-2015, 21:54
there was a post about some wierd banding on PS4's , I suppose this might be it,
is there a way for you to make a screenshot? ( you should be able to press the share button on DS4 )

it makes it easier for people to help when they can see what the issue is

muggs1
07-05-2015, 22:02
hello

so glad ive seen your post, i too suffer from this ghosting, my eyes are trying to focus the blur into a non blur and they are getting strained, its very similar to when i put someone else's glasses on(i dont wear glasses) my eyes start to hurt as they try to make the blur sharp. i can only last 30mins. it feels like im bogeyed after playing.

side note my t300rs off centers when i choose the old m1 on silverstone large track. as soon as i load into the pits the wheel perm vibrates and goes 45 degrees off centre

GTR
07-05-2015, 22:19
Nothing to do with the TV, the ghosting is in the PS4 version of the game.

I hope we'll get an option to disable this kind of "AA".

It's not a bug. It's a side effect of the way we do AA on PS4, and is arguably a good thing (hear me out!). It's there, and very noticeable from static images of non-direct feed footage especially, but also undeniably in the game itself (mainly when paused). I spotted it and reported it as soon as it got checked in long ago (so we didn't "miss it" as many would have you believe).

However, I also "spotted" that the PS4 version has really lovely image quality, a very smooth and slightly soft (not low res!), "non-gamey" look, which is very natural, and (imo!) rather fantastic, due to this very clever AA approach. It also greatly minimises the distant "shimmer" you often see in console racing games, which is a side effect of low quality AA on thin vertical objects such as fences.

So yes, the ghosting effect is there, if you look hard enough. The advantages far outweigh this small disadvantage however. Notwithstanding that, if customer feedback demands it, we have a plan to add a UI slider in a future update, which will enable you to tune out the ghosting, at the expense of more aliasing and distant shimmer.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=162746041&postcount=8877

On the other hand, here's motion blur on P.Cars:

http://i.imgur.com/bYWykzm.jpg

It's just like two frames blended into one. Actually, on P.Cars videos, this effect is omnipresent across the frame, so at any given time, you are basically seeing two consecutive frames, and always, which would amount to an exposure time of exactly 60th of a second, however, there's no blur along a path, just blending of two frames:

http://i.imgur.com/Gfwa3uC.gif

In this gif, you see two consecutive frames, however, there are actually 3 frames visible. You'll see that 1 frame is shared between two frames, beause the motion blur seems to be blending just two consecutive frames, with no linear blur across a motion vector. This does a very poor job of simulating motion blur if that's what it's trying to be doing, as there's no blurring but blending, and since you are always moving, it creates that smudgy look.http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=162389461&postcount=8564

Siberian Tiger
07-05-2015, 22:21
side note my t300rs off centers when i choose the old m1 on silverstone large track. as soon as i load into the pits the wheel perm vibrates and goes 45 degrees off centre

Thats a Problem on some Wheels atm... But the DEVS are allready aware of that.. So a Fix should coming soon

KiMika
07-05-2015, 22:59
Hi all, I and several people have this problem too, the picture is double, is not clear and is very annoying to play in the repetitions also happens, rival cars in front of you have this problem, this happens when a fast moving image, turning in corners or moving the free view around your car.
I tried to put the television in "game mode", but also passes this problem, I hope there is a solution, it's a great game.

casbitton
07-05-2015, 23:23
Nothing to do with the TV, the ghosting is in the PS4 version of the game.

I hope we'll get an option to disable this kind of "AA".

It would be absolutely fantastic to disable AA entirely and rid the PS4 version of this issue. I'm rarely one to complain but this genuinely is a show-stopper bug.

TOPNOTCHED
08-05-2015, 00:48
If you are I'm a gaming mode be it TV or Monitor you should enable RGB Full in your PS4 options my screen was terrible until i enabled it all games are Just amazing now! Give it a go.

Let us know if it fixes the problem

GAT_Montana
08-05-2015, 06:43
On my Samsung TV it helps to switch in to the gaming mode and switch off all picture improvement technology. Problem solely appears on PS4. PC doesnt have this issue.

Pablo2008jedi
08-05-2015, 06:51
During races I don't have an issue with 'Ghosting', but I can't watch replays...

Fong74
08-05-2015, 08:11
It would be highly appreciated if the ghosting could be minimized. It is really an issue lots of people do have with the PS4 version of the game.

Game looks absolutely brilliant nevertheless!

GAT_Montana
08-05-2015, 08:32
It would be highly appreciated if the ghosting could be minimized. It is really an issue lots of people do have with the PS4 version of the game.

Game looks absolutely brilliant nevertheless!

The main question is if it is related to the TV or could it be solved ingame? In my case it was the TV finaly. Modern TV's have so many picture improvement options that it becomes complicated for some games. Assassins Creed was also a game what had a lot of troubles with the different TV Settings. May be a Dev will share his opinion about?

Siberian Tiger
08-05-2015, 08:36
It would be absolutely fantastic to disable AA entirely and rid the PS4 version of this issue. I'm rarely one to complain but this genuinely is a show-stopper bug.

Find it hard to believe this wasn't addressed in testing.

Well sadly we (The WMD Members) hadn't Access to Console specific Builds...
It may be that the Devs will implement a Slider in the Options to reduce or Switch this Kind of AA off

It's actually a sort of TXAA which is causing this. BUT it makes also the Distant Shimmer much less, which is a Problem in Racinggames...

AND IMPORTANT:

Please make really sure your TV is set to Game Mode or Sport.
Because as sad before, modern TV do many things to make this look worse...

GAT_Montana
08-05-2015, 08:40
It may be that the Devs will implement a Slider in the Options to reduce or Switch this Kind of AA off

It's actually a sort of TXAA which is causing this. BUT it makes also the Distant Shimmer much less, which is a Problem in Racinggames...

AND IMPORTANT:

I will check today afternoon twice if the game mode has totally eliminated the ghosting issue. But it seems to be!

Vance
08-05-2015, 10:03
Im finding the game un-playable. Constant double vision when turning even when at very low speed!

Have tried all setting in the game and tv, really disappointed.

KroKis
08-05-2015, 11:16
Same here.
I have a Sony Kdl55w905 tv, tried "game mode" and all others modes......for me this game is unplayable with this ghosting effect :(

Please patch this!!!!

GTR
08-05-2015, 11:46
The main question is if it is related to the TV or could it be solved ingame?

Already confirmed, the ghosting is in the game.

soundsystem
08-05-2015, 12:43
Also part of the 'close to unplayable' crew. At Azure Circuit it's awful due to the close proximity of buildings etc.

Vance
08-05-2015, 12:51
impossible to play for me. come up to a corner and see this every time

danowat
08-05-2015, 12:54

Christ :eek-new:

muggs1
08-05-2015, 13:25

yep absolutley, its very annoying trying to hit a apex when the apex is moving/shaking

soundsystem
08-05-2015, 13:39
yep absolutley, its very annoying trying to hit a apex when the apex is moving/shaking

Exactly the same for me. The only way around it is to defocus your eyes a bit or you end up with motion sickness.

Vance
08-05-2015, 13:39
I suppose Gran Turismo is out in 2017............

novcze
08-05-2015, 14:01

exactly my major problem with the Project Cars game, it's really annoying. Just give us option to disable it.

GAT_Montana
08-05-2015, 14:12
Already confirmed, the ghosting is in the game.

I ve checked again, after switching to the game mode and switching off all picture improvement technology, especially "Motion Plus", it works. There is just a very small ghosting but ist similar to normal motion blure, no gamebraker as shown in the pictures here around. Bigger issue is tearing because of missing VSync.

novcze
08-05-2015, 14:35
I ve checked again, after switching to the game mode and switching off all picture improvement technology, especially "Motion Plus", it works. There is just a very small ghosting but ist similar to normal motion blure, no gamebraker as shown in the pictures here around. Bigger issue is tearing because of missing VSync.

It have nothing to do with TV, it's confirmed to be in the PS4 version of the game. SMS said it's form of temporal AA used on the PS4, which is the worstest implementation of temporal AA I've ever seen, it's just blend of two frames and nothing more.

zaidh
08-05-2015, 14:40
exactly my major problem with the Project Cars game, it's really annoying. Just give us option to disable it.

Same for me, Im playing in game mode, don't understand how reviews have not spotted this issue, needs a patch for sure to turn the ghosting effect off.

iv-tecman
08-05-2015, 14:45

Why SMS decided to not add v sync options to the already feature rich options for consoles. No idea. I personally would take a frame hit for no tearing.

I'm corssong all fingers SMS are listening to these posts and adds a v sync option..

MysterG
08-05-2015, 14:47
The problem with pictures is that it will almost always show the ghosting effect regardless of how visible it is in motion.

FWIW I got my PS4 version today and have no ghosting I can see. I do have my PS4 connected to a monitor not TV which could have a bearing on it.

I am not dismissing the problem, just pointing out that screen shots do not give a true representation as to what is seen all the time.

jimclark62
08-05-2015, 14:56
I don't have any problems. My tv is a high quality samsung and so far i haven't had any ghosting or tearing/slowdown. The game runs absolutely perfectly for me and I have the graphics on top settings. I never use game mode on the TV. I never get any lag with this TV. Maybe have just been lucky.

Vance
08-05-2015, 15:16
What model is your Samsung? I have a ue55f6670. On all other games the picture is stunning

novcze
08-05-2015, 15:18
I am not dismissing the problem, just pointing out that screen shots do not give a true representation as to what is seen all the time.

Because they blend two consecutive frames, it's mainly visible on the objects which move a lot between frames e.g. cones inside the corners.

It's more about person sensitivity to this kind of problem, to me whole game looks like I'm gaming on really shitty LCD from 15 years ago, all smeared together because of the double image.

I don't quite understand why they choosed this form of temporal AA on the PS4 when PC and XB version are ok. LCD itself already blurring image because it's sample and hold type of the display why add more (this is not 30 fps game).

GAT_Montana
08-05-2015, 15:23
It have nothing to do with TV, it's confirmed to be in the PS4 version of the game. SMS said it's form of temporal AA used on the PS4, which is the worstest implementation of temporal AA I've ever seen, it's just blend of two frames and nothing more.

And I can tell you: it has to do with the TV as well...otherwise all people would have this problem yousing a PS4, no? ;) And otherwise I would not be able to manage the issue on my Samsung TV. So ist a bit of both, on the one hand the used technic what makes it more sensible and on the other Hand the TV with a very slow refresh rate in TV or Movie mode (what is a well known issue in gaming by the way, therefore there is this game mode made...)

novcze
08-05-2015, 15:57
And I can tell you: it has to do with the TV as well...otherwise all people would have this problem yousing a PS4, no? ;) And otherwise I would not be able to manage the issue on my Samsung TV. So ist a bit of both, on the one hand the used technic what makes it more sensible and on the other Hand the TV with a very slow refresh rate in TV or Movie mode (what is a well known issue in gaming by the way, therefore there is this game mode made...)

Yes, everyone with the PS4 version have this problem, but it depends more on the person how they perceive it.
It's like v-sync issue, for some tearing is not a big deal for some it's game breaker.

And yes, TV should be in game/PC mode to get rid of extra image processing not because they have "very slow refresh rate in TV or Movie mode"

beltanedeath55
08-05-2015, 18:45
Yep I'm in the same boat I'm afraid tried on 2 high end tvs (sony and samsung) both in game mode, still head ache inducing ghosting

Belt

sab25
08-05-2015, 22:02
Hi,

today i picked up my copy of PC for PS4.

After the First corners i was fully disappointed when i realised that i have the Same Problem.
For me the Game is unplayable.

jimclark62
08-05-2015, 22:16
I play all my games in dynamic mode on my TV. This gives the best picture for me. Yes it's very bright and clear but that's how I like it. I never get lag, or slowdown. PC looks perfect on my screen without any lag or ghosting. Also I've not seen any tearing yet, that some have reported. This game is crystal clear for me. Not sure what people mean when they talk of ghosting. In the past when we had old fashioned TVs ghosting was the result of a bad signal and created a double image. I haven't seen anything like that on my screen. But I can imagine that it's very disconcerting for those who do see. Could someone please post some more photos of their "ghosts"
I've only had my TV for a few months but I did have it professionally calibrated.

dannyhawaii
09-05-2015, 02:54
I have to add a +1 to the ghosting issue. I have a nice fast, Samsung plasma with all motion enhancement options turned off. Every game on my PS4 looks perfect. I'm finding this game difficult to play due to the double imaging, it's very distracting. I get what they're trying to do in terms of the temporal AA, but this desperately needs a slider or toggle to suit different players.

Right now, I'm waiting on this to be an optional setting until I play it again. It's a shame because the game seems amazing otherwise.

Seth2413
09-05-2015, 06:20
Same issue. I have a brand new 65 inch UHD TV and no toher game has this issue. It hurts my eyes after a while. It is a real put off at the moment and needs to be fixed or people will turn away from the game which is really quite good.

So please dont say its your TV cause it aint my TV, my TV works very well thanks, its the game.

beltanedeath55
09-05-2015, 06:22
I play all my games in dynamic mode on my TV. This gives the best picture for me. Yes it's very bright and clear but that's how I like it. I never get lag, or slowdown. PC looks perfect on my screen without any lag or ghosting. Also I've not seen any tearing yet, that some have reported. This game is crystal clear for me. Not sure what people mean when they talk of ghosting. In the past when we had old fashioned TVs ghosting was the result of a bad signal and created a double image. I haven't seen anything like that on my screen. But I can imagine that it's very disconcerting for those who do see. Could someone please post some more photos of their "ghosts"
I've only had my TV for a few months but I did have it professionally calibrated.

If you look on page 2 and 3 of this thread you will see several pictures of it

Belt

bjosim
09-05-2015, 08:03
The game is almost unplayable for me. The ghosting was immediately the first thing I noticed when I tried it. I have a 1080p 60 inch plasma and a PS4. The ghosting/blurring is so bad that I can't properly see the road. It also makes me dizzy and sick. Please fix this, I have waited for so long to play this game and now I have to just leave it. See my gtplanet thread: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/project-cars-almost-unplayable-blurry-image-ps4.328151/

brit999
09-05-2015, 08:04
I normally play my PS4 games on my panasonic TX42 ST50B in dynamic mode. It is sad that I have a problem using PCars with this TV. The ghosting is very bad, even in "Game" Mode. I tried to change everything in the in game menu which makes no difference at all. I tried the "limited" PS4 display options makes no difference at all (even forcing the resolution dow). I tried every mode on the TV makes no difference at all. I then tried to change individual things like turning off fancy things the TV does with processing the image this makes no difference at all either. I had been playing sat in front of the game about 8 hours by now.

I unplugged the PS4 and took it upstairs and plugged it into my Sons TV and got a perfect picture straight away. Today I will be swapping TV's over until a fix can be found.

Thanks for a great game, it feels great and the content is awesome. I look forward to playing it how others are playing it!

Vance
09-05-2015, 08:27
The game is almost unplayable for me. The ghosting was immediately the first thing I noticed when I tried it. I have a 1080p 60 inch plasma and a PS4. The ghosting/blurring is so bad that I can't properly see the road. It also makes me dizzy and sick. Please fix this, I have waited for so long to play this game and now I have to just leave it. See my gtplanet thread: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/project-cars-almost-unplayable-blurry-image-ps4.328151/

Seems to be something to do with newer tv's aswell, someone has commented on this forum that people who have 600hz tv's are having trouble.

Ive just put this to the test myself. On the tv in my front room which is 600hz the ghosting is terrible, but when hook the ps4 up the an old lcd 100zh in the bedroom there is no ghosting just a little blurry.

oversonic
09-05-2015, 09:30
Same ghosting issue on a new samsung UE556400 all processing off game mode on, no other racing game does this I also have an xbox one with forza horizon 2 etc, very disappointed the movement is so jarring and unnatural looking it also makes trying to hit 60fps pointless as it seems to cancel the clarity benefit out.

GAT_Montana
09-05-2015, 10:19
Seems to be something to do with newer tv's aswell, someone has commented on this forum that people who have 600hz tv's are having trouble.

Ive just put this to the test myself. On the tv in my front room which is 600hz the ghosting is terrible, but when hook the ps4 up the an old lcd 100zh in the bedroom there is no ghosting just a little blurry.

This may be the issue! My 60inch 6500 Samsung TV is 2 years "old" and I was able to eliminate the problem. It has nothing to do with my personal expectations. I am very sensible regarding visual aspects! I am solely affected by tearing and a little bit blurry.

novcze
09-05-2015, 10:46

On faster LCD panels or plasma TV's the problem is just more obvious, slower panels will create naturally more blur, but output from the PS4 is always the same (i.e. double image is there all the time).

Steiner84
09-05-2015, 11:26
Just one thing: Turn it off. I have a 2014 sony 800 series tv and the ghosting is very prominent.
It is horrible. the whole scenerey and surroundings are totaly washed out. also its not very pleasing to the eye.
Pls do something about it.

KillerFox1978
09-05-2015, 11:34
It is Defiantly more of an issue on new tv's but still happens on older ones too.

This is a massive problem and i hope they put the option in the game to have this off. My House Mate has this on the pc and he suffered the same issue. but at least on pc you can turn this off and then the sim/game is fine no problems at all.

Come on slightly Mad sort it out and put the option to turn this off in the game ASAP and this is making playing this horrible on console.

GAT_Montana
09-05-2015, 12:36
Oh common, the PC version is crystal clear on a normal monitor. There is absolutly no ghosting nor anyone who would have posted issues like that. So thats simply not true! Its solely an PS4 issue because of the special AA technic what is used.

Washed out textures on PC you just have if your texture filtering is set below 8x.

oversonic
09-05-2015, 15:40
Just gone back and tried the game on a 5 year old 46 inch Samsung LED and a 21 inch philips monitor same problem on both as my 55 inch samsung, less noticeable on the monitor but only because its a smaller screen, it seems larger screen sizes as you would expect make it clearer to see thus more annoying.
This is more high speed judder than smoothing please let us turn it off.

KillerFox1978
09-05-2015, 16:10
Oh common, the PC version is crystal clear on a normal monitor. There is absolutly no ghosting nor anyone who would have posted issues like that. So thats simply not true! Its solely an PS4 issue because of the special AA technic what is used.

Washed out textures on PC you just have if your texture filtering is set below 8x.

it was on a TV and as soon as Bluring was tuned off the problem went away. so think what you want i seen this with my own eye's. if you really don't think that is the case i can post photos of the problem with all setting!!!!!

sab25
09-05-2015, 16:38
I tried to Film that Ghosting issue to explain how it Looks:

https://youtu.be/qLXgs2R3ma8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLYTIVS4N7E&spfreload=10

jimclark62
09-05-2015, 17:23
I have found a solution to the ghosting problem and i have posted a new thread on this forum

carlos82
09-05-2015, 17:46
Im extremely sad to join the "barely playable" crowd. In a medium-range LG (42"-400Hz) TV I just see everything duplicated, makes me very dizzy and strain the eyes...For goodness' sake, if you can't get a proper AA working on a PS4 let us turn it off and race with shimmering jaggies. At least those won't actively hurt!

jimclark62
09-05-2015, 17:57
Dont you read the other post on here, I have already said previously that I have found a solution to the problem. Stop moaning and read my threat and fix it

KillerFox1978
09-05-2015, 18:04
Dont you read the other post on here, I have already said previously that I have found a solution to the problem. Stop moaning and read my threat and fix it

Does not work!!!!!! thanks anyway was worth a try.

brit999
09-05-2015, 18:27

Read my reply and stop gloating. You did not fix the issue. You fixed the issue on YOUR TV.

Coupevt
09-05-2015, 18:34
No ghosting on my 5 years old Sony KDL-40HX700, wtf

bjosim
09-05-2015, 18:51
Come on SMS, fix this please. I'm sure you can imagine how disappointing it is to have waited in anticipation for so long, and then finally getting it, only to learn you can't play it...

oversonic
09-05-2015, 19:13
I have found a solution to the ghosting problem and i have posted a new thread on this forum

Didn't work for me either :-(

joep87
09-05-2015, 19:30
I have the same problem - pretty much the first thing I noticed when I played my first race. The wife walked past and commented on it too!! Using a Samsung UE40ES6710. Very frustrating as it really looks quite bad and makes me feel a little queasy! All other games (+driveclub etc..) Look great, no problems

Edh
09-05-2015, 19:42
I've got this same issue on a Panasonic V10 the game is nearly unplayable. If there is no announcement of a patch early next week I'll have to sell my copy.

Such a disappointment after waiting all this time.

David McKenna
09-05-2015, 19:50
lol, it's rather ironic, I was seriously negged for daring to mention the ghosting on this game on the Eurogamer website last week.

WingedBeast1968
09-05-2015, 20:40
I have the ghosting, but only on the vehicle in the replay. The scenery is fine.

Boss_335
10-05-2015, 07:48
+1 as far as the Ghosting issue is concerned.

I have a 50inch Samsung Plasma screen TV (PS51E550D) and have tried to run it in Game mode which doesn't fix the issue.

Hopefully the fix to this problem is implemented shortly as the game is nausea inducing at the moment and I am unable to play.

Chess
10-05-2015, 08:32
I use the PS4 PlayStore download-version of the game, so it streams all from the harddrive.
No ghosting.

My racing buddy bought the disc-version but he has the ghosting problem.

Could it be possible that somewhere herein lies the problem?
Might this have something to do with a disc-to-harddrive buffering/cache problem?

Just a thought, no scientific proof.
But to rule this option out, are any of you experiencing the ghosting with the download-version of the game?

Love the game!

zaidh
10-05-2015, 10:18
I use the PS4 PlayStore download-version of the game, so it streams all from the harddrive.
No ghosting.

My racing buddy bought the disc-version but he has the ghosting problem.

Could it be possible that somewhere herein lies the problem?
Might this have something to do with a disc-to-harddrive buffering/cache problem?

Just a thought, no scientific proof.
But to rule this option out, are any of you experiencing the ghosting with the download-version of the game?

Love the game!

Nothing to do with disc or download version am afraid. I have the download version, yet the ghosting is horrendous.

Chess
10-05-2015, 11:16
Thanks, so byebye for my theory then :)

momotaone
10-05-2015, 11:20
I have the ghosting, but only on the vehicle in the replay. The scenery is fine.

Same for me.
In Replays it wasn't that problem for me... but as I now found this thread and the posts from other users, I have to say:
Please get this topic to number on top of the list!

It can't be done just saying "It's your monitor!"... It's an issue with multiple causes, the monitor is only one of it.

My Informations for this issue:
I'm using a HP Pavilion w2408h-Monitor.
I'm playing with this monitor on PS4 FIFA 15, GTA V and Driveclub.
On PS3 I was playing GT6.

-> No rendering-issues, neither "ghosting" nor other problems with other games!

-> But in Project Cars "ghosting" in the replays is often on the "Movie-Cam" ( Don't know how this is called, its the cam with perspective like TV-Transmissions) and not nice to look at it. If this would be same in the game, I can understand the headache-Problems by the other users.

My Settings:
-Ingame: All Graphs-Effects activated, besides "Blooming" and "Raindrops".
-Changing of Display-Modes of my monitor does not change the situation.

oversonic
10-05-2015, 15:51
Interesting piece on Eurogamer digital foundry today which mentions the problem, it's called a temporal pass filter this is what we need to be able to turn off.

novcze
10-05-2015, 16:32
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-project-cars-face-off

"According to the same developer post, a debug shot with this temporal pass disabled shows motion blur is indeed running separately on PS4 underneath - the same shader as used on PC and Xbox One. However, as the temporal filter adds a significant amount of blur to motion on its own, the team states it chose to reduce the velocity setting of the PS4's motion blur to compensate. It makes sense, but in terms of the overall effect, this hybrid setup doesn't come close to the Xbox One's smoother, cleaner gradient in motion. An option to turn the PS4's temporal pass off altogether would be a welcome step, especially if it's possible to return its motion blur velocity value to its original state."

... hope they already work on this because I really want to start some serious racing ;-) .... right now, I'm just messing around with options and testing some things like FOV, seat position, etc.

remcosol
10-05-2015, 18:47
Same here ...... Very annoying

casbitton
10-05-2015, 23:00
I continue to champion this issue for the silent majority over on the Dev forum. I'm patiently waiting to hear from the Developer directly with an update.

I'm disappointed that many of the moderators have been reluctant to assist the community here, squarely blaming me and stating that this is not an issue but an opinion I hold.

Vo0N83
11-05-2015, 00:09
I continue to champion this issue for the silent majority over on the Dev forum. I'm patiently waiting to hear from the Developer directly with an update.

I'm disappointed that many of the moderators have been reluctant to assist the community here, squarely blaming me and stating that this is not an issue but an opinion I hold.

Hi, Casbitton. Do you know if the dev's are planning to fix the low AF on the PS4 version in a future update?

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?22207-Anisotropic-Filtering-in-replays

casbitton
11-05-2015, 01:47
Hi, Casbitton. Do you know if the dev's are planning to fix the low AF on the PS4 version in a future update?

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?22207-Anisotropic-Filtering-in-replays

Unfortunately I can't comment on this in relation to Project Cars, what I can say though is the AF issues extend beyond this game and impact many PS4 titles, it's unrelated to the topic of ghosting.

Check this topic out at Neogaf when you can :) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=992156

Cheers!

Spanna
11-05-2015, 06:25
Registered on this forum specifically about this issue.

I really want to love project cars as the whole design of it is my perfect game but this ghosting issue is making it difficult to enjoy the game or sing its praises to others.
I have a Samsung plasma ps51d6900, tried game mode on and off all picture enhancements are off, have tried full rgb on the ps4 nothing fixes it.
I can see terrible ghosting on the ai cars, on the scenery when I turn a corner, when the scenery is close as I pass (ie meter boards impossible to read), on replays the cars are blurred so look terrible.

I am pretty shocked this got through all the testers tbh and the lack of communication from the makers. I am used to seeing makers really communicate with the players nowadays, driveclub and dirt rally being prime examples.

Please fix this issue. Soon as this is fixed and a couple of other things it will be one of my fav racing games ever.

dtrain85
11-05-2015, 06:26
Unfortunately I can't comment on this in relation to Project Cars, what I can say though is the AF issues extend beyond this game and impact many PS4 titles, it's unrelated to the topic of ghosting.

Check this topic out at Neogaf when you can :) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=992156

Cheers!

'Many' is kind stretching it, it only affects a handful of PS4 titles. Two games have already been patched with zero effect to the game's performance (Devil may Cry and Dying Light). This is especially curious considering AF has little to no impact on performance, AND the PS4 version runs considerably better than the XB1 version.

Apparently, implementing AF on PS4 is a bit different than standard procedure which is causing some developers to have low levels of texture filtering on PS4 games. There's no reason the PS4 version should have lower levels of AF compared to XB1. Whether it's the temporal AA that's causing distant textures to be blurred on PS4 or if it's simply lower AF, I dunno. But having a slider to adjust the temporal AA, and/or an increase to the AF on the PS4 version would be appreciated by many.

Jogi
11-05-2015, 07:02
This double image/ghosting is really annoying and tiring for my eyes, fix it ASAP!

Sporran
11-05-2015, 10:00
Just joined to say the same. Running a Sony W905 tried all game modes and its nauseating that i feel physically sick. Struggle to complete one race :(

Think im going to try and get a refund on the grounds of health issues.

bass2rez
11-05-2015, 12:54
Joined the forum so I could also add my voice regarding this issue.

Terrible blurring / ghosting and double-imaging experienced when playing on PS4, especially when viewing a replay. Our TV is a Samsung UE55ES8000.

To the developers, can you please regard this issue with the seriousness it deserves and develop a fix for this.

Kindest Regards,
Steve

GTX-Bear
11-05-2015, 13:05
Definitely a problem. I have it on both TV and monitor but let's be honest, doesn't matter what you use, this is how the image is coming out of the PS4.

davide vr
11-05-2015, 13:43

AND IMPORTANT:

I think that some settings of TV accentuate this ghosting effect.
I have a 6 years old Samsung full HD with all artefatcs swicthed off and I have no ghosting.

davide vr
11-05-2015, 13:52
Same issue. I have a brand new 65 inch UHD TV and no toher game has this issue. It hurts my eyes after a while. It is a real put off at the moment and needs to be fixed or people will turn away from the game which is really quite good.

So please dont say its your TV cause it aint my TV, my TV works very well thanks, its the game.

UHDTV and 4KTV, are the worst TV that you may use for gaming.

Spanna
11-05-2015, 13:53
I have it on a 2 year old plasma and a 6 month old 1080p normal lcd

bjosim
11-05-2015, 15:13
Please devs, just acknowledge the existence of this issue, not the minor issue you thought it was. For a lot of us the game is unplayable. And it's not our TV's, it happens on old and new TV's, UHD and HD alike. Just saying it's our TV's is a bit provocative, makes me think devs are lazy.

Say whether you will attempt to fix it or not.

Umer Ahmad
11-05-2015, 15:25
hang on guys

teopanta1
11-05-2015, 15:31
i have the samsung 40d7000 and is the only game that i have that very frustrating problem . what happened and what is the solution any dev answer about this . any official news from the company ? i turned of the bloom effect but nothing happened . i go to gaming mode for the tv but stay the same problem we need an answer .

Umer Ahmad
11-05-2015, 15:43
Gentlemen, Please READ (http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?23635-I-want-my-money-back&p=897665&viewfull=1#post897665)

iv-tecman
11-05-2015, 16:07
Gentlemen, Please READ (http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?23635-I-want-my-money-back&p=897665&viewfull=1#post897665)

Cool. I now live in hope you (devs) add v sync option then happy days.. No more ps4 tearing..

novcze
11-05-2015, 17:22

omg, at least some response ... but why not answer here in this thread?

btw. a slider is good, but in its lowest settings temporal AA should be completely OFF. I want to also use the Share button on PS4 to take screenshots which is not possible when any amount of ghosting is present.

Umer Ahmad
11-05-2015, 17:29
Yeah jnformation is everywhere right now, we're a volunteer team. But at least now you have some response.

Spanna
11-05-2015, 17:51

Great. Nice to have some communication on the matter. All I want to hear is its been recognised and being worked on. Thanks very much :)

bjosim
11-05-2015, 19:35
Great. :)

brit999
11-05-2015, 19:36
If you say it is answered, maybe a Mod could update the OP with a link to the answer. I only had to look through 10 pages before I got the answer, in two months time that 10 might be a few more....

Bealdor
11-05-2015, 19:39
If you say it is answered, maybe a Mod could update the OP with a link to the answer. I only had to look through 10 pages before I got the answer, in two months time that 10 might be a few more....

Since Ian said it will be "fixed" this will most likely be a non issue in two months time.

Umer Ahmad
11-05-2015, 20:46
Done check OP

casbitton
11-05-2015, 21:46
Fantastic outcome, great work fellow community members and forum moderators :).

Bring on the slider!

TheJamess
11-05-2015, 22:48
I too have a uhd tv and found the ghosting really bad i chaged my motion settings under picture setup to off from clear and its all but gone now

NinoF1
12-05-2015, 02:16
I am running it on a 55" Samsung Series 6 LED TV in the Game Mode. I have found from my personal experience that ghosting is pretty non-existent, be it in the actual gameplay, replays or when pausing the replay when using the Game Mode. Can't say about other TV brands but with Samsung the Motion Plus setting needs to be turned to OFF. If you have it set as Smooth for example it will produce considerable ghosting. Game Mode automatically turns this option to off so best option is to play in the Game Mode. Once you are running in a mode such as this you can really appreciate the implemented AA solution on PS4. The shimmering is barely noticeable on any objects and most of the time is completely eliminated. It is better than both the DriveClub and Forza 5 (own both) that suffer quite noticeably when it comes to shimmering on fences and track lines (especially Forza 5 track lines on certain tracks, Barcelona comes to mind). I just hope for some higher AF and the image would be absolutely perfect!

teopanta1
12-05-2015, 02:57
I have a Samsung d7000 I turn off the motion plus and I play in game mode but I still have ghosting problem. It's not about the TV. It is software problem. But after the answer from developers we are waiting for patch to fix this.

bjosim
12-05-2015, 11:03
Adding that slider shouldn't require too many lines of code i shall imagine. Hopefully they won't decide to hold it back to include it in another update with more fixes, further extending the time we have to wait before we can play. Yes, i'm impatient at the level of a child right now, but i have been tripping in my sofa for over a year now :)

nolag
12-05-2015, 16:40
I did what probably many people did and started the game with the kart career using the ds4 controller without any adjustments to the settings. The ghosting was almost unbearable driving the karts using the twitchy controls through the tight bends on the kart tracks. If the devs want to understand peoples frustration with the game they should try the same thing for more than 15 minutes.
However the good news is that i found out that setting the "World Movement" to 0 in the Camera/Movement settings reduced the ghosting for me so i can now enjoy the game (Looking forward to the patch though ;)).

Spitfire77
13-05-2015, 19:57
Yes - please give an option to turn this off. People are reporting health issues with it. The more I play the more I notice my eyes are feeling weird (never had an issue with same tv same view distance, with other racing games for longer sessions) .. I tried all the settings on my tv. When playing from in car it is not game breaking but my eyes feel weird when I do a race that is longer than 20mins. I also really cant watch the replays in TV camera view.. either the car is blurring or the environment.. the switch between the two is really bad.

Skeme_DBT
13-05-2015, 22:28
I havent noticed this once so far, in game or replays.

madmax2069
13-05-2015, 22:41
It seems like the game suffers from double vision. It doesn't even look like motion blur.

Sporran
14-05-2015, 06:55
For those that do not see it dont go looking as once you do you will always see it just enjoy the game. I compare it to watching a 3d film of your tv and then lift off your glasses

hitmanvega
14-05-2015, 20:20
Is your tv set on 1080p or 1080i? would be interesting to know if it makes a differnce...?

Skargarim
16-05-2015, 12:02
I have a Samsung d7000 I turn off the motion plus and I play in game mode but I still have ghosting problem. It's not about the TV. It is software problem. But after the answer from developers we are waiting for patch to fix this.

i have another samsung TV but i changed some setting yesterday. i believe it was motion plus, but not sure anymore. i'll have a look. anyway, it worked. not perfect, but much better than before. hardly noticeable now.

Nine-Eight-Nine
16-05-2015, 18:24
Samsung 40" F7000. Game mode on.

cfsmooth
16-05-2015, 19:45
I too am experiencing the "ghosting" issue. I tried to start my career in the karts but had to stop after just 1 race because the ghosting was causing me to feel severely nauseous. This
issue is very real and non of us have any ill will toward the game. We just want to be able to play and enjoy the game without getting sick.

quadrantx
18-05-2015, 02:12
I feel the same way. Love the game, hate that I can't play for more then a half hour because I get super dizzy, motion sickness. This has never been an issue with me from the first Gran Turismo.

On the other hand I am relieved it's not just me! Thanks!

thetoneranger
20-05-2015, 09:52
Has anyone got an issue with the drivers hands and wheel turning in a really notchy, twitchy way, in cockpit view? It was really nice and smooth when i first started playing but now the drivers hands became really twitchy, jerky as they turn. I'm using the T300. Its annoying. Does anyone know how to stop it?

Fong74
20-05-2015, 11:01
You can turn the virtual wheel off in the options menue. Its in the same menue where you can switch between metric/imperial units...

WingedBeast1968
20-05-2015, 11:46
It's not your TV. Its the software. Very disappointed. :(

kalbo777
24-05-2015, 10:13
I currently use the DS4 and get ghosting when steering i.e. turn left and right with the 'L3' stick, on a straight line it's fine but see two of everything when turning.

novcze
24-05-2015, 16:43
I currently use the DS4 and get ghosting when steering i.e. turn left and right with the 'L3' stick, on a straight line it's fine but see two of everything when turning.

that means your eyes are working well and your TV also ... we are waiting for a patch

novcze
24-05-2015, 16:44
Has anyone got an issue with the drivers hands and wheel turning in a really notchy, twitchy way, in cockpit view? It was really nice and smooth when i first started playing but now the drivers hands became really twitchy, jerky as they turn. I'm using the T300. Its annoying. Does anyone know how to stop it?

I use T300RS and hand movement was always twitchy ... surprised to hear that you saw them move smoothly at first.

BSDShoes
24-05-2015, 17:23
Didn't notice it much on my 48" and 55" Sony TV's but on my BenQ gaming 1ms 24" PC monitor, it's extremely noticeable and annoying.

scotty101
27-05-2015, 16:42
Does anyone have an idea of when the next PS4 patch will be released?

This ghosting issue has been present since the game was released more than two weeks ago!

Dev - Any date of when a patch will address this ghosting issue (also pls provide confirmation if the patch will remove temporal AA or add a slider)

SMS have done a great job on the project but this game has been unplayable for me since launch due to the ghosting of images.

Fong74
28-05-2015, 10:18
PS4 patch will be available "in weeks" according to Mr. Bell. He said that few days back when stating that the XBOne patch will be there "in days".

So I assume at least 2 weeks to go before a PS4 patch shows up.

madmax2069
29-05-2015, 07:01
Here's some bugs I've encountered in my PS4 version of the game: I really think these need to get fixed.

- Sometimes, automatic pit control doesn't take over when you enter the pits, and you're able to drive as fast as you want. This also causes you to be able to drive through your pit guy like he's a ghost.
- When you're exiting the pits, you randomly get a caution that you cut the track, even when you clearly didn't.
- Sometimes your engine sound randomly cuts off or goes really quiet during changing between driving views and also during replays.
- While driving the 125cc shifter karts, when you accelerate and brake, neither of your feet move.
- Also when driving the 125cc shifter karts, they don't receive any damage at all, no matter how hard you crash them, even when full damage is turned on.
- And sometimes at the start of races, my HUD doesn't show up, and I'm not able to get it back with the toggle HUD view button.

I get every game is going to release with SOME bugs in it, and this game WAS developed on a budget, by a community instead of just a big well known publisher, but its just annoying having THIS many bugs in a post release version of the game, which in my opinion, has real potential to be the best sim racer on consoles. I just hope that these bugs get ironed out ASAP, so we can all go on to enjoy this awesome game like we should.

I do believe you posted that in the wrong place. You should have either made your own topic, or put it here http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?27927-PS4-Multiplayer-Bug-Reports-(NO-CHAT!)

As this topic is only about the ghosting issue on PS4

MK153
07-06-2015, 13:43
I've for the most part gotten use to this ghosting - but I'd still love to turn it off. Its especially distracting in faster cars.

Fre.Mo
08-06-2015, 07:37
Indeed it will be possible to turn the anti-aliasing filter ON/OFF in the future 1.4 patch, but I fear that it induces some other graphical/animation issues worst that this ghosting effect...

Patrik Marek
09-06-2015, 06:28
the way I understood it - you will be able to tweak it , all the way to turn it off, so hopefully we will have a way to get it to a best compromise for everyone

sab25
12-06-2015, 10:34
Patch for ps4 is online.

danowat
12-06-2015, 10:47
Some comparison pics here http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=167483407&postcount=4155

madmax2069
12-06-2015, 10:58
Some comparison pics here http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=167483407&postcount=4155

Cant view the pictures

Bealdor
12-06-2015, 10:59
Cant view the pictures

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=167483407#post167483407

Does this link work?

madmax2069
12-06-2015, 11:16
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=167483407#post167483407

Does this link work?

Its not that the link doesn't work, its just that the pictures dont show on that post they just show up as 3 blank lines, i do see the pixie crawl picture below that post though

MysterG
12-06-2015, 11:19
Its not that the link doesn't work, its just that the pictures dont show on that post they just show up as 3 blank lines, i do see the pixie crawl picture below that post though

Weird. Well you'll just have to believe me when I say the pics show no ghosting after 1.4 with the Temporal slider adjusted down.
You will be pleased.

danowat
12-06-2015, 11:25
Weird. Well you'll just have to believe me when I say the pics show no ghosting after 1.4 with the Temporal slider adjusted down.
You will be pleased.

Indeed, it looks a whole lot better, in static pictures, I am still interest to see how it looks in motion..........

kaa0s
12-06-2015, 11:26
You will be pleased.

I see the pictures well. So let me get this straight, 0 on the slider is the best setting for best quality picture? I only tried monaco with the slider set to 100 and I can see the buildings, fences etc very clearly.. Gonna test it out on 0 soon then.

EDIT. oh yeah this was on motion.. I am confused hahah.

Ian Bell
12-06-2015, 11:31
I want to make an important point here, and OK it's slightly blowing our own trumpet but what the hell:

This has only been coded and included in the patch because you guys asked for it.

That is how we've always operated and how we'll continue to operate.

danowat
12-06-2015, 11:31
I see the pictures well. So let me get this straight, 0 on the slider is the best setting for best quality picture? I only tried monaco with the slider set to 100 and I can see the buildings, fences etc very clearly.. Gonna test it out on 0 soon then.

EDIT. oh yeah this was on motion.. I am confused hahah.

Best picture quality?, well, in static shots, for sure, but the reducing in TAA may introduce pixel crawl and shimmer, so it may not give the best "in motion" picture quality.

The key benefit of temporal AA is that it reduces the shimmering and crawling of aliased edges while a scene is in motion.

But it's great to have the option to adjust it to suit the individual.

danowat
12-06-2015, 11:32
I want to make an important point here, and OK it's slightly blowing our own trumpet but what the hell:

This has only been coded and included in the patch because you guys asked for it.

And for that, we are thankful.

madmax2069
12-06-2015, 11:32

And that is why you guys are awesome.

Spanna
12-06-2015, 11:34
This issue is all fixed for me now on my ps4 with 1.4 . Thanks very much. Didn't need to adjust the slider at all.

kaa0s
12-06-2015, 11:37
Best picture quality?, well, in static shots, for sure, but the reducing in TAA may introduce pixel crawl and shimmer, so it may not give the best "in motion" picture quality.

But it's great to have the option to adjust it to suit the individual.

So yeah I shall keep it at 100. Was just having trouble understanding the slider is all.

danowat
12-06-2015, 11:38
It was (arguably) the biggest Achilles heel of the graphical fidelity of the PS4 version, the fact that it (seemingly, I have yet to try it in motion, damn real life) has been greatly improved is a huge boon to the PS4 community.

I hope the community at large appreciate it as much as I do, even though the TAA wasn't giving me personally too much of a problem.

Fong74
12-06-2015, 12:29
Its gone. Tested this first obviously :D

The new slider is set to 20 per default. If you go for 100 you get the ghosting back. 0 is ok, too, but I left it on 20 at the end.

Game looks even better now!

GTR
12-06-2015, 12:41
Great news! :)

Mascot
12-06-2015, 13:29
Out of interest, what setting on the new temporal slider is equivalent to the old pre-patch setting..? I assumed it was 20, as that was the new default, but seems I was wrong.

IamtheSTIG78
14-06-2015, 07:07
Hi all. I don't have any ghosting issues but a friend does. I have the disc version of the game but he has the digital download. Is this problem just on digital versions?

oversonic
14-06-2015, 08:25
I had ghosting on the disc version, the game now looks great I have set the slider to 10, thanks for the update guys :-)

Patrik Marek
17-06-2015, 01:18
Out of interest, what setting on the new temporal slider is equivalent to the old pre-patch setting..? I assumed it was 20, as that was the new default, but seems I was wrong.
I would think that old one was 100, but I haven't really done a proper comparison, default 20 works great for me

coolhandluke88
19-06-2015, 02:02
I'm thinking this may be a TV issue. I'm on PS4, and have very little ghosting and I'm definitely not getting the "double vision" that many are complaining about. 32" Samsung.

Jogi
22-06-2015, 05:53
Could you devs give us couple of screenshots that could explain what are benefits of using your " temporal AA"?? I have not seen with my eyes or any tech comparisons that shows any benefits of using that frame merge "so called temporal AA".
So why include that slider at all? Only proper solution is just turn it off.. At current time it seems slider should be set to 1 to prevent performance hit? (eurogamer/digital foundry..) Why is that?

Anyway I'm pleased we finally got proper motion blur like in x1 version, much better now and without that disgusting double image (temporal slider to 0 or 1..)

danowat
22-06-2015, 08:19
Could you devs give us couple of screenshots that could explain what are benefits of using your " temporal AA"?? I have not seen with my eyes or any tech comparisons that shows any benefits of using that frame merge "so called temporal AA".
So why include that slider at all? Only proper solution is just turn it off.. At current time it seems slider should be set to 1 to prevent performance hit? (eurogamer/digital foundry..) Why is that?

Anyway I'm pleased we finally got proper motion blur like in x1 version, much better now and without that disgusting double image (temporal slider to 0 or 1..)

Better performance and less pixel crawl / shimmering, from the DF analysis.

Turning it off completely not only has a performance hit (which could increase tearing), but also has a fair bit of pixel crawl and shimmer.

Fanatest
22-06-2015, 14:24

Not sure how accurate the info is, but there is chatter a plenty from the "arm chair experts" saying that the reason there for thr performance hit (at 0) is because settings TXAA to 0 (turning it off) enables MSAA.

When you then enable TXAA (and set it to 1) the Temporal AA is enabled (MSAA disabled/reduced) and TXAA is essentially doing nothing (as its only set to 1) so more FPS as AA is now at its absolute lowest (least taxing on hardware = more FPs)

I read it on reddit or RD or somewhere I think, I forget, I'll have a look, but a few users were going in about it in a thread...

I agree, it would be nice hear from SMS regarding how the slider functions. Does it have a direct relationship with motion blur (as DF suggest) does it also have a relationship with MSAA levels (as the arm chair experts suggest) etc.

Info on what it does, would help silence (or at least reduce) the amount of noise and speculation online that can (in some cases) lead to more negativity from the "doom lords" as I affectionately call them :)

novcze
22-06-2015, 17:11
When temporal slider is set to 1, double image caused by TXAA is almost invisible on screenshot, in motion there is zero chance you will see it.

Would be ideal to have these settings in separate sliders:

- temporal 0 -> 100
- motion blur 0 -> 100
- MSAA (or whatever is causing framerate hit) on/off

Jogi
23-06-2015, 10:35
Well yes combining 2 sequential images together surely partly masks shimmering and pixel crawl but at cost of image quality.. blurring image can also cut shimmering, but image quality is destroyed, dimming image 50% also reduce shimmering intensity 50%... you see my point? Nobody in game industry is reducing shimmering and pixel crawl in way like PCars(ps4) tries to do.... I really like to see real proof with pictures to justify any use of their "temporal AA", when someone just says it reduces shimmering and pixel crawl does not make it real. I'm tech minded so please free to share that "temporal AA" details, I'm truly interested.

Edit: I actually tried to pinpoint any shimmering pixel crawling and AA difference from latest DF video that compares off, 20%, 100% "temporal AA", I really found nothing!!! AA quality is visually same with "off" and 20% setting. 100% (old style) was such of mess that I would not find anything, quality was really destroyed. For my gfx fan/artist/programmer eyes it looked just plain frame merge, no temporal AA algorithms what so ever.