PDA

View Full Version : Dualshock 4 Controller: Settings, Problems & Solutions

Bealdor
07-05-2015, 20:53
If you have found some nice settings for the Dualshock 4 Controller or have any controller specific problems, please post them here.

How to: Setting up a gamepad (http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?21992-Setting-up-a-gamepad)

TOPNOTCHED
08-05-2015, 00:44
Seem to be going good with these settings!

Controller Preset Mode 2 (make sure you change 1st)
Steering Deadzone 20
Steering Sensitivity 0
Throttle Deadzone 0
Throttle Sensitivity 30
Brake Deadzone 0
Brake Sensitivity 60
Clutch Deadzone 0
Clutch Sensitivity 0
Speed Sensitivity 65
Controller Filtering Sensitivity 40
Force Feedback 80
RPM/Gear Display Yes

Apply Soft Steering - On
Apply Visual Filtering - Off
Apply Opposite Lock Help - Off

Bealdor
08-05-2015, 06:22
Could a mod make this thread sticky please?

PuntNL
08-05-2015, 07:11
Great idea! Will also try to share my settings. But still figuring things out. Started with input mode 3, lowering steering sensitivity back to 25. But far from satisfied still.

e30bemer
08-05-2015, 07:42
Would be nice to know what others are using! Bit of trail and error here! First off I found steering very twitchy, but after some changes a bit smoother! But still needs some fine tuning!

PuntNL
08-05-2015, 11:21
This is the set I am currently using:

Steering Deadzone 5
Steering Sensitivity 30
Throttle Deadzone 10
Throttle Sensitivity 40
Brake Deadzone 10
Brake Sensitivity 30
Clutch Deadzone 10
Clutch Sensitivity 45
Speed Sensitivity 70
Controller Filtering Sensitivity 30
Force Feedback 100
RPM/Gear Display Yes

Advanced Off

Still not perfect, still have to try lots of things and will adjust accordingly.

Gooseone
08-05-2015, 11:25
I've tried to explain what the settings do a bit here: http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?21992-Setting-up-a-gamepad

Bealdor
08-05-2015, 11:31
Thanks, added to OP. :)

PuntNL
08-05-2015, 12:15
I've tried to explain what the settings do a bit here: http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?21992-Setting-up-a-gamepad

Great explanation! Thanks! After reading I switched to the cockpit mode where the steering wheel is visible and that is golden! I would advise everyone using a gamepad to do that, it gives you so much more feedback about what is happening with the car. Has helped me enormous.

Currently in the process of testing some slider by doing some laps on 100 and some on 0 to get a good feel of what they do. Does anyone know what Clutch is supposed to do/impact (haven't tested that one yet).

SLP
08-05-2015, 12:51
I'm finding it impossible to catch slides with the controller. For me once the wheels spin, that's it. The car spins out. This means that cars like the lotus 49 are mostly undriveable because of the wheelspin. I was wondering if anyone has controller settings that can change this?

Gooseone
08-05-2015, 12:57
Great explanation! Thanks! After reading I switched to the cockpit mode where the steering wheel is visible and that is golden! I would advise everyone using a gamepad to do that, it gives you so much more feedback about what is happening with the car. Has helped me enormous.

Currently in the process of testing some slider by doing some laps on 100 and some on 0 to get a good feel of what they do. Does anyone know what Clutch is supposed to do/impact (haven't tested that one yet).

It's for when you use a wheel and pedals and are operating an actual clutch pedal.

I'm finding it impossible to catch slides with the controller. For me once the wheels spin, that's it. The car spins out. This means that cars like the lotus 49 are mostly undriveable because of the wheelspin. I was wondering if anyone has controller settings that can change this?

I can only suggest to set the controller to your liking and practice a lot :dread:

Kkj10
08-05-2015, 16:52
Can anyone suggest how to make the analogue sticks less responsive?

I use right stick up for throttle and down for gear down. When I let go of the throttle the action of the stick returing to the centre is enough for it to drop me down a gear, sometimes two! I've tried a few different settings but the lack of information on what each one does is making it a cumbersome job. I'm not even sure if it can be done. I've used this button set up since GT5 without issues and it's not a DS4 thing because it worked fine on the short time I tried driveclub.

Errol1967
08-05-2015, 18:38
I have the perfect solution for peepz with controller issues like myself. I tested a lot and this one is the perfect solution. Dont matter wich mode your on...i have it on 3 and works perfectly. Here are the settings :)

Steering deadzone - 10
Steering sensitivy - 0
Throttle deadzone - 10
Throttle sensitivy - 20
Brake deadzone - 10
Brake sensitivy - 20
Clutch deadzone - 10
Clutch sensitivy - 20
Speed sensitivy - 65/70
Control filtering sensitivy - 50
Force feedback - 100
Advanced settings - off

Good race :)

Cheers

Gooseone
08-05-2015, 19:03
Can anyone suggest how to make the analogue sticks less responsive?

I use right stick up for throttle and down for gear down. When I let go of the throttle the action of the stick returing to the centre is enough for it to drop me down a gear, sometimes two! I've tried a few different settings but the lack of information on what each one does is making it a cumbersome job. I'm not even sure if it can be done. I've used this button set up since GT5 without issues and it's not a DS4 thing because it worked fine on the short time I tried driveclub.

You can try to increase the Throttle deadzone.

Kkj10
08-05-2015, 19:14
You can try to increase the Throttle deadzone.

Just increased it to 100 and it works perfectly. Thanks! Now I just need to find a happy medium

curious_sloth
08-05-2015, 19:43
Hey, has anyone had any issues with the vibration on the DS4? Everytime I press break it starts to vibrate like mad and will continue to do so for about 30 seconds... is this normal? Any fixes?

PuntNL
09-05-2015, 07:37
Yesterday evening driving with some new cars I couldn't get the right feel with my settings. Decided to completely revert back to the original out-of-the-box settings on input mode 3. And had a pretty good experience, didn't change anything all night.

Bottom-line, I have no clue what to do with the different settings. Every car / class is so different, every time I think there is a need to adjust all the settings. Will try to roll with the standard input mode 3 for now and will make some slight adjustments still. I think the sweet spot for me will be somewhere between the standaard settings of input mode 2 and 3 actually.

SilentChill
09-05-2015, 08:25
Hello everybody :) I have spent more time messing around with the controller settings than actually racing, how bad is it that there are no control options from the in game menu ??? Anyway that a different story ;)

Anyways I think I have a decent setup now for all those who like to use small movements on the stick and who have been struggling with spinning off like me. Please give it a try and let me know

Steering deadzone - 5
Steering sensitivy - 0
Throttle deadzone - 5
Throttle sensitivy - 0
Brake deadzone - 5
Brake sensitivy - 0
Clutch deadzone - 5
Clutch sensitivy - 0
Speed sensitivy - 70
Control filtering sensitivy - 40
Force feedback - 90

Controller Input Mode 1/2/3 - Doesnt matter as you have already changed all the settings above ^^^
Advanced settings - on
Soft Steering Dampening - On
Visual Wheel Filtering - Off
Opposite Lock Help - Off

edit: Make sure your tires are nice and warm as cold tires makes for very unpredictability thats for sure :)

Errol1967
09-05-2015, 10:37
I tried all same settings on all three presets modes...weird thing is...every preset mode works differently on the track...wtf

Gooseone
09-05-2015, 11:09
Hey, has anyone had any issues with the vibration on the DS4? Everytime I press break it starts to vibrate like mad and will continue to do so for about 30 seconds... is this normal? Any fixes?

This could be a known bug (although it's usually only present on PC and sometimes on Xbox One, could you try setting Force Feedback to 0 to see if it persists?

Hello everybody :) I have spent more time messing around with the controller settings than actually racing, how bad is it that there are no control options from the in game menu ??? Anyway that a different story ;)

Anyways I think I have a decent setup now for all those who like to use small movements on the stick and who have been struggling with spinning off like me. Please give it a try and let me know

Steering deadzone - 5
Steering sensitivy - 0
Throttle deadzone - 5
Throttle sensitivy - 0
Brake deadzone - 5
Brake sensitivy - 0
Clutch deadzone - 5
Clutch sensitivy - 0
Speed sensitivy - 70
Force feedback - 90

Controller Input Mode 1/2/3 - Doesnt matter as you have already changed all the settings above ^^^
Advanced settings - on
Opposite Lock Help - Off

edit: Make sure your tires are nice and warm as cold tires makes for very unpredictability thats for sure :)

The controller input modes differ in more ways then what you can adjust in the menu.

PuntNL
09-05-2015, 12:30
This could be a known bug (although it's usually only present on PC and sometimes on Xbox One, could you try setting Force Feedback to 0 to see if it persists?

The controller input modes differ in more ways then what you can adjust in the menu.

In your post explaining the different settings you explained the difference between mode 1 and the input modes 2/3 regarding de deadzones. Do you have any idea or could you be more specific about the difference between input mode 2 and 3? Or at least for which kind of player/thumbstick handler it generally is more suitable?

curious_sloth
09-05-2015, 13:39
This could be a known bug (although it's usually only present on PC and sometimes on Xbox One, could you try setting Force Feedback to 0 to see if it persists? .

Tried this, feedback stopped completely, when turned back on however it continued to do the same, even if force feedback was very low

jimclark62
09-05-2015, 15:34
I have to say that i am getting sick of this game already with its pretentious and inexplicable controller settings. There should be clear explanations of what all of the silly individual settings do.Its ludicrous and I can see why so many on amazon are giving this game such negative reviews. Its impossible to get some cars around the bends on some tracks
I am currently driving the Clio and it just veered off the road for no reason at all.

C6ckneyGeezer
09-05-2015, 16:40
I switched to mode 2 in settings guys, things are alot better on the pad now!

Coupevt
09-05-2015, 16:57
This game is simply unplayable at the moment with a controller, tried damned everything.

hanteed24
09-05-2015, 17:51
hi i have dualshock 4 on project cars and i dont know what means controler input 1,2 and 3,is better 22 speed sensitivity or 50 and for other sliders wich is best?what is your controller input?wich is easier to play?is any of these inputs for slower cars or faster cars?

curious_sloth
09-05-2015, 18:12
Okay so I have figured out why my controller was vibrating so much when I brake! For some reason, when I brake, it's like the brake is still partially on. Any fix?

Gooseone
09-05-2015, 18:33
In your post explaining the different settings you explained the difference between mode 1 and the input modes 2/3 regarding de deadzones. Do you have any idea or could you be more specific about the difference between input mode 2 and 3? Or at least for which kind of player/thumbstick handler it generally is more suitable?

Well mode 1 has more of an actual deadzone while modes 2 and 3 have a deadzone which is linked to the steering sensitivity. With modes 2 and 3 you will not have an actual deadzone as easily as mode 1.
Mode 3 is a bit slower handling than mode 2 yet it centers quite fast when you release the stick. It's kinda hard to explain how they all work exactly though.

If you tap from the center i would use mode 3, i drive with thumb on stick and prefer 3 also while a lot of 'glued thumb' people prefer 2.
Mode 1 might be useful if all other settings fail to decrease responsiveness around center.

Formula1269
09-05-2015, 19:46
Tried this, feedback stopped completely, when turned back on however it continued to do the same, even if force feedback was very low

I have the same issue. Other than zero, the lowest I can set the FFB to on the DS4 is 5, and the vibration is over the top. To be honest, it feels the same as if the FFB is set to 100.

curious_sloth
09-05-2015, 20:02
I have figured it out! And this may work for you as well Formula1269! So it turns out that my Left Trigger on my controller is a little faulty and so gets slightly stuck if i bring it up slowly, so I have turned the deadzone for break up to 60 and that seems to have stopped it! I would suggest trying this, it takes a bit of trial and error to find the point at which it will still be as responsive as possible without getting the vibration but it works!

Kkj10
09-05-2015, 20:05
Is there a sertting I can adjust to give me more steering lock?

PS4Dazmaniac
09-05-2015, 20:16
This game is simply unplayable at the moment with a controller, tried damned everything.

I was having similar issues. I tried SilentChill's suggested setting tweaks (post #18 in this thread) and now car is much more driveable.

Coupevt
09-05-2015, 20:30
I was having similar issues. I tried SilentChill's suggested setting tweaks (post #18 in this thread) and now car is much more driveable.

Ok will give it a go.

Gooseone
09-05-2015, 20:41
Is there a sertting I can adjust to give me more steering lock?

Decrease steering sensitivity, with a controller the lock you see from the wheel is not the lock you would see with a wheel, it's a visual thing.

Schumi-
09-05-2015, 20:46
Not too sure if these have been mentioned, but i found these the other day, they are not my settings, but they work exceptionally well.

Controller Input Mode - 2 (Change first)

Steering Deadzone - 10
Steering Sensitivity - 10
Throttle Deadzone - 10
Throttle Sensitivity - 40
Brake Deadzone - 10
Brake Sensitivity - 30
Clutch Deadzone - 10
Clutch Sensitivity - 45
Speed Sensitivity - 65
Controller Filtering Sensitivity - 35
Force Feedback - 100
RPM/Gear Display Yes

Controller Input Mode - 2
Advanced - On
Apply Soft Steering - On

Kkj10
09-05-2015, 21:13
Decrease steering sensitivity, with a controller the lock you see from the wheel is not the lock you would see with a wheel, it's a visual thing.

It's already at zero :apologetic:. I've played about with some settings and now the FA car struggles to get round the hairpin at Barcelona. The car is much more drivable now except for this. I'm scared to mess about with it anymore while not actually knowing what I'm doing.

PuntNL
09-05-2015, 21:45
Not too sure if these have been mentioned, but i found these the other day, they are not my settings, but they work exceptionally well.

Steering Deadzone - 10
Throttle Deadzone - 10
Brake Deadzone - 10
Brake Sensitivity - 30
Clutch Deadzone - 10
Clutch Sensitivity - 45
Speed Sensitivity - 65
Force Feedback - 100
RPM/Gear Display Yes

Advanced - On
Apply Soft Steering - On

Good to hear that you are liking them. I think they are mine. Posted them yesterday in the other thread.
I went from this to input mode 3 with almost the same settings, seems to be more suiting my style of racing (tapping the thumbstick and releasing to center). I upped steering sensitivity a little bit from these settings). Will post my finalized settings tomorrow.

Gooseone
09-05-2015, 22:04
It's already at zero :apologetic:. I've played about with some settings and now the FA car struggles to get round the hairpin at Barcelona. The car is much more drivable now except for this. I'm scared to mess about with it anymore while not actually knowing what I'm doing.

Maybe you are just suffering from actual understeer because you're going to fast, lol :)
I've tried to explain what everything does here: http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?21992-Setting-up-a-gamepad, nothing to worry about.

Formula One cars are not known for their exceptional steering lock through tight turns and currently the FFB is lacking a bit in the grip loss department,
it could be that you're losing the fronts or that it just cannot physically turn harder.

Kkj10
09-05-2015, 22:28
Maybe you are just suffering from actual understeer because you're going to fast, lol :)
I've tried to explain what everything does here: http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?21992-Setting-up-a-gamepad, nothing to worry about.

Formula One cars are not known for their exceptional steering lock through tight turns and currently the FFB is lacking a bit in the grip loss department,
it could be that you're losing the fronts or that it just cannot physically turn harder.

Thank you. As an avid F1 fan I'm quite aware off their unique steering characteristics. Lol. Before I changed a few things I found it much easier to turn into that corner specifically. I think I need to up the steering sensitivity slightly but in doing so it ends up making the FA car quite twitchy.

Gooseone
09-05-2015, 22:41
Thank you. As an avid F1 fan I'm quite aware off their unique steering characteristics. Lol. Before I changed a few things I found it much easier to turn into that corner specifically. I think I need to up the steering sensitivity slightly but in doing so it ends up making the FA car quite twitchy.

If there is no bug or something of that sort at play, speed sensitivity is the only options which has an influence on the actual steering lock.
Steering sensitivity can make the steering more responsive so that you would be at a certain lock a bit quicker but it does not change the actual steering speed.
If you adjust things you'll have to compromise between making one turn and having a nice driving experience on the rest of the track.
If you put visual filtering of and use the telemetry hud, you can see the full steering lock which is given.

Kkj10
09-05-2015, 23:03
Thanks again. Looks like I've still got a while to go before I'm happy with my controller settings.

Gooseone
09-05-2015, 23:28
The game hasn't been deemd a "sandbox racer" for nothing ;), there's options everywhere!
It does make for a bit of a learning curve though

Kkj10
10-05-2015, 00:28
The game hasn't been deemd a "sandbox racer" for nothing ;), there's options everywhere!
It does make for a bit of a learning curve though

I like all the options that there is but it would be nice if there was a little description on what each one does in that big empty space next to each of the sliders :p

Referring back to your post will do for now :encouragement:

Paul_Ellinas
10-05-2015, 02:37
I like all the options that there is but it would be nice if there was a little description on what each one does in that big empty space next to each of the sliders :p

Referring back to your post will do for now :encouragement:

Some times its not the controller setup but the car setup. Read this thread (or watch the video) it was really helpful for me: http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?22501-Project-Cars-Tuning-Guide&p=888280#post888280

brutus66
10-05-2015, 06:38

Steering Deadzone - 10
Throttle Deadzone - 10
Brake Deadzone - 10
Brake Sensitivity - 30
Clutch Deadzone - 10
Clutch Sensitivity - 45
Speed Sensitivity - 65
Force Feedback - 100
RPM/Gear Display Yes

Advanced - On
Apply Soft Steering - On

they worked great for me just won my first escort race

Schumi-
10-05-2015, 08:41
Good to hear that you are liking them. I think they are mine. Posted them yesterday in the other thread.
I went from this to input mode 3 with almost the same settings, seems to be more suiting my style of racing (tapping the thumbstick and releasing to center). I upped steering sensitivity a little bit from these settings). Will post my finalized settings tomorrow.

Thanks again, they have really made this game come alive for myself.

they worked great for me just won my first escort race

Glad i could help out , credit goes to PuntNL

Kkj10
10-05-2015, 09:57
Some times its not the controller setup but the car setup. Read this thread (or watch the video) it was really helpful for me: http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?22501-Project-Cars-Tuning-Guide&p=888280#post888280

Saved to my reading list for later! Thanks!

Chrisco Racing
10-05-2015, 12:20
First, let me say thanks to SMS for creating a phenomenal racing experience!

Thanks everyone for posting your controller settings. They've helped me to start from somewhere. It takes a lot of time to get the controller to work for your personal preference but through trial and error (changing one setting and testing) you will see improvements. So far, I've found this set up to be close for my liking.

Controller input mode: 2

Steering deadzone: 0
Steering sensitivity: 0
Throttle deadzone: 0
Throttle sensitivity: 15
Brake deadzone: 0
Brake sensitivity: 15

Don't use clutch of PS4 pad.

Speed sensitivity: 65 (still playing around with this to get optimal turning both in slow and fast corners)
Controller filtering sensitivity: 30
Force feedback: 100
RPM/gear display: Yes
Advanced: off

Hope it may be of use to you.

Also, I have noticed that Throttle and Brake sensitivities are linked - if I change the setting on say throttle sensitivity to 30 when I hit circle/return/save the brake sensitivity also jumps from its original 15 also to 30. No different values possible it seems. Or is it a bug? Thanks.

cfiore99
10-05-2015, 16:24

PuntNL,

Could you post your final settings. I would be interested in trying them out.

Thanks!!!

Massy72
10-05-2015, 19:51
I tried most of the controller settings here on the forum, but now i'm using these settings,

Input mode : 3

SD 10
SS 25
TD 0
TS 15
BD 0
BS 15
CD 0
CS 0
SS 70
CFS 75
FF 80

Advanced: OFF

Didn't drive a lot of the faster cars but I know they work very well with the bmw gt3.

Just try and i'm curious if you guys like them also.

PuntNL
10-05-2015, 20:02
PuntNL,

Could you post your final settings. I would be interested in trying them out.

Thanks!!!

Haven't had enough time today to play the game and finalize them. But this is where they are at now and possibly where they will stay from now on:

Controller Input Mode - 3 (Change first)

Steering Deadzone - 10
Steering Sensitivity - 30
Throttle Deadzone - 10
Brake Deadzone - 10
Brake Sensitivity - 30
Clutch Deadzone - 10
Clutch Sensitivity - 45
Speed Sensitivity - 65
Force Feedback - 100
RPM/Gear Display Yes

Controller Input Mode - 3
Advanced - On
Apply Soft Steering - On

Let me know what you guys think about them.

cfiore99
10-05-2015, 21:07
Haven't had enough time today to play the game and finalize them. But this is where they are at now and possibly where they will stay from now on:

Steering Deadzone - 10
Throttle Deadzone - 10
Brake Deadzone - 10
Brake Sensitivity - 30
Clutch Deadzone - 10
Clutch Sensitivity - 45
Speed Sensitivity - 65
Force Feedback - 100
RPM/Gear Display Yes

Advanced - On
Apply Soft Steering - On

Thanks! Hopefully can find some time to try them out today.

johnbow
11-05-2015, 01:07
Does this game support gyroscope on DS4 ? ( DC supports it ) , how to set it up ? it seems steering has to be triggered by a "button"

MattCupra
11-05-2015, 10:25

Steering Deadzone - 10
Throttle Deadzone - 10
Brake Deadzone - 10
Brake Sensitivity - 30
Clutch Deadzone - 10
Clutch Sensitivity - 45
Speed Sensitivity - 65
Force Feedback - 100
RPM/Gear Display Yes

Advanced - On
Apply Soft Steering - On

PuntNL, I would like to say thank you for these settings, they have transformed the game for me. I was beginning to regret buying the game as the controller settings out of the box were way to sensitive for me and ruined my enjoyment of the game, but with your settings I can now control the cars and make real progress in the game.

Thanks again.

Matt

cfiore99
11-05-2015, 13:17

Steering Deadzone - 10
Throttle Deadzone - 10
Brake Deadzone - 10
Brake Sensitivity - 30
Clutch Deadzone - 10
Clutch Sensitivity - 45
Speed Sensitivity - 65
Force Feedback - 100
RPM/Gear Display Yes

Advanced - On
Apply Soft Steering - On

Only got to try my first two races of my career with the 125cc karts a Cairn East I think it was, these worked great!!! I actually won the second race. The one thing I don't know is how they will work when at high speed trying to go straight or keep it straight. If I have time I will test these in a race at Snetterton I think it is that has a pretty long straight. Anyway so far they are excellent settings!! Thank you very much PuntNL!!!

Bodster
11-05-2015, 13:22
Does this game support gyroscope on DS4 ? ( DC supports it ) , how to set it up ? it seems steering has to be triggered by a "button"

No, check out this post and add your support, maybe it will be added!

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?22202-No-motion-control-on-DS4-Seriously-Or-am-I-missing-something

SmokeySi
11-05-2015, 14:27
PuntNL, I would like to say thanks you for these settings, they have transformed the game for me. I was beginning to regret buying the game as the controller settings out of the box were way to sensitive for me and ruined my enjoyment of the game, but with your settings I can now control the cars and make real progress in the game.

Thanks again.

Matt

I'd just like to second the above, using these settings has transformed the controls of the game and made what was initially very disappointing to the most enjoyable racer I've ever played, just won my second race in a row of LPM1 and can see this becoming by far and away one of the best and most immersive racing sim games ever made, I was skeptical at first and almost ready to return it on release day but stick with it guys use some of the recommendations on these forums and you'll soon be hooked :) good work SMS keep up the ongoing support and listen to the fans out there, yes there's a few niggles but remember DriveClub on Day One?? See you out there........

PuntNL
11-05-2015, 17:12
Thanks for all the positive feedback. Great to see some of you are having a better experience because of these.
I tested these settings mostly in the Clio Cups and running the fast Pagani Zonda on the tight Zolder circuit. So I guess they should work for a pretty broad range of cars. My goal is to just have a final set to not have to tweak them anymore and just enjoy the game.

Massy72
11-05-2015, 18:50
Tried your setup today PuntNL, but for me it still is a little to twitchy on the straights , for the rest i think that our setups are very much alike.
Why don't you try these?

Input mode : 3

SD 10
SS 25
TD 0
TS 15
BD 0
BS 15
CD 0
CS 0
SS 70
CFS 75
FF 80

Advanced: OFF

Hope to get a reaction.

Vuvuzela
11-05-2015, 22:22
I dont understand why everybody seems to have such a high "speed sensitivity". I just cant make the corners, it feels like understeer the wheel doesnt turn in enough at higher speeds. Especially at karting I "understeered" out of a lot of corners that are possible with the standard input 1.

You can actually see the wheel turning more when you slow down.. but then youre already going slower than is possible.

I now use the PuntNL settings with Speed Sens at 50. which is still a bit too high for karting.

hanteed24
11-05-2015, 23:39
Steering Deadzone - 10
Steering Sensitivity - 40
Throttle Deadzone - 10
Brake Deadzone - 10
Brake Sensitivity - 20
Clutch Deadzone - 10
Clutch Sensitivity - 45
Speed Sensitivity - 65
Force Feedback - 100
RPM/Gear Display Yes

Advanced - On
Apply Soft Steering - On
i ve tried this on formula A an slower and fastest cars and karts and this is for me best balanced controller input

Dam351
12-05-2015, 04:28
Hi, I'm on PS4 and looking for advice on controller button layouts. I have the old gt style with R thumb stick Acceleration and brakes, and have a spare button which I had used for clutch, and then auto clutch. Hardly ever needed those with a ps4 pad so has anyone got any theories on which other function should be added? (I've also used toggle Display and toggle lap times)

And I may need to put this in bug section, has anyone copped a 1600+ second penalty after exiting pits during a qualification at Spa?

nolag
12-05-2015, 17:17
I found settings that i am happy with now, but this would have been so much easier if it would have been possible to adjust the controls while on the track. A simple task that normally would have taken me a few minutes now gave me some frustating hours.

- Controller settings should be adjustable while on the track
- The outer dead zone should be adjustable

My settings (changes to mode 3):
Steering Deadzone - 0
Steering Sensitivity - 0
Throttle Deadzone - 0
Throttle Sensitivity - 0
Brake Deadzone - 5
Brake Sensitivity - 0

(Note that mode 3 is a bit slow for Karts)

Umer Ahmad
12-05-2015, 17:33
I see you have steering sensitivity at zero. Would you characterize your control habits as tapping or do you generally always have some constant movement of the thumbstick?

nolag
12-05-2015, 17:38
I am not tapping the stick. For me it is much easier to smoothly move the stick to get the same results like turning the wheel.

Checkers
12-05-2015, 18:06
PuntNL, I would like to say thank you for these settings, they have transformed the game for me. I was beginning to regret buying the game as the controller settings out of the box were way to sensitive for me and ruined my enjoyment of the game, but with your settings I can now control the cars and make real progress in the game.

Thanks again.

Matt

I want to thank you also.:D
I use this as my base setting for most cars now as it suits my driving style.

Dunk
12-05-2015, 20:15
Steering Deadzone - 10
Steering Sensitivity - 40
Throttle Deadzone - 10
Brake Deadzone - 10
Brake Sensitivity - 20
Clutch Deadzone - 10
Clutch Sensitivity - 45
Speed Sensitivity - 65
Force Feedback - 100
RPM/Gear Display Yes

Advanced - On
Apply Soft Steering - On
i ve tried this on formula A an slower and fastest cars and karts and this is for me best balanced controller input

Thanks for this it is the best set up I have tried yet, i am still crap but better

MangledJellyfish
12-05-2015, 20:50
Does anyone know how to enable motion steering? They have said it would be in there.

MangledJellyfish
12-05-2015, 21:08
They have tweeted awhile back that it would be supported trying to find it, I feel like its so hard to play with a DS4

PropaneCrazy
12-05-2015, 22:27

Steering Deadzone 5
Steering Sensitivity 30
Throttle Deadzone 10
Throttle Sensitivity 40
Brake Deadzone 10
Brake Sensitivity 30
Clutch Deadzone 10
Clutch Sensitivity 45
Speed Sensitivity 70
Force Feedback 100
RPM/Gear Display Yes

Advanced Off

Still not perfect, still have to try lots of things and will adjust accordingly.

This is very good.

Guv8T6
13-05-2015, 08:18
This is by far the best setup I've tried for the DS4. You can hold the revs in turns, pull off without any hassle and actually compete with a controller. Amazing work!

Guv8T6
13-05-2015, 08:19

Forgot to mention as well that I used controller setup 1

MrTRAPPER
13-05-2015, 08:54

Steering Deadzone 5
Steering Sensitivity 30
Throttle Deadzone 10
Throttle Sensitivity 40
Brake Deadzone 10
Brake Sensitivity 30
Clutch Deadzone 10
Clutch Sensitivity 45
Speed Sensitivity 70
Force Feedback 100
RPM/Gear Display Yes

Advanced Off

This one feels really good, but I will still adjust to try and get the best feeling setup.

Skanda-Five
13-05-2015, 13:57
Settings from Post #18
Nice one SilentChill!
I tried these settings and they really sorted out the twitchy handling. Much better.
Smoother and much more predictable.
I have even caught a few slides with opposite lock after getting too aggressive with the loud pedal!
If you're having twitchy nightmares, give them a try.
;)

Pablo2008jedi
13-05-2015, 14:04
Settings from Post #18
Nice one SilentChill!
I tried these settings and they really sorted out the twitchy handling. Much better.
Smoother and much more predictable.
I have even caught a few slides with opposite lock after getting too aggressive with the loud pedal!
If you're having twitchy nightmares, give them a try.
;)

you could have quoted it :P

Steering deadzone - 5
Steering sensitivy - 0
Throttle deadzone - 5
Throttle sensitivy - 0
Brake deadzone - 5
Brake sensitivy - 0
Clutch deadzone - 5
Clutch sensitivy - 0
Speed sensitivy - 70
Force feedback - 90

Advanced settings - on
Opposite Lock Help - Off

Lucifer_187
13-05-2015, 14:42
Hey Guys,

Steering Deadzone 0
Steering Sensitivity 0
Throttle Deadzone 0
Throttle Sensitivity10
Brake Deadzone 10
Brake Sensitivity 10
Clutch Deadzone 0
Clutch Sensitivity 20
Speed Sensitivity 65
Controller Filtering Sensitivity 20
Force Feedback 100
RPM/Gear Display Yes

Advanced: off

I feel quite good with it, but still not sure is my 100% Settings yet.

BlkBullitt
13-05-2015, 14:52

Steering Deadzone - 10
Throttle Deadzone - 10
Brake Deadzone - 10
Brake Sensitivity - 30
Clutch Deadzone - 10
Clutch Sensitivity - 45
Speed Sensitivity - 65
Force Feedback - 100
RPM/Gear Display Yes

Advanced - On
Apply Soft Steering - On

Let me know what you guys think about them.Going to give this a try when I get home. I'll provide feedback once I have some playtime with it. Thank you.

MrTRAPPER
13-05-2015, 23:44
Even tho this is a Xbox controller setup it's really indepth and kinda explains what most of the tuning will result in.

Let's get on to configuring your controller. There is no magic fix. We are all different, we all drive differently, we all use the stick differently. I never let go the stick, forever making micro adjustments, even on the straights. Yet I call my brother 'Clicky' because he constantly taps the stick. All the 'perfect' setups I see around the forums, may be perfect for that person, but hopeless to someone else.

What I aim to do here is narrow down the possible iterations for each person, and give you some advice on how I came about my perfect setup. So let's get cracking...

For the purpose of this guide, I suggest you set your assists to the following (oh yes, you are going to be doing some work yourself):

Steering Assist OFF
Braking Assist OFF
Anti-Lock Brakes ON
Stability Control ON
Traction Control ON
Gears YOUR PREFERENCE

I also suggest you set the field of view (FOV) for your preferred camera. For what it's worth, I prefer the helmet cam with the actual helmet removed and a FOV of 72. This allows some peripheral vision, shows all the dials clearly yet doesn't feel like I'm driving from the back seat!

We'll be testing our changes in Free Practice, which is selectable from the main screen. The track we'll use for testing is Imola. Why? It has 3 chicanes with significantly different braking zones, entry/exit speeds. It has a long pit straight with a gentle curve to it. Uphill/ downhill sections. High kerb sections. Off camber corners...in short, it has everything we need to test our set ups. Be sure to set the weather to 'Fixed' and 'Clear'.

Now all we need is a car. We'll be using 3 in total, all untuned. 95% of the work will be done with the BMW 320 Turbo. Why? It's light 1895lbs, powerful 400HP/248ft-lbf, yet balanced 50/50. In short, if your controller works, this car works!

So take it a spin, and see how it goes for you. All 4 tyres should warm up after the first lap (turn from blue to green). Once this happens, the car should be a joy to behold! No? Then we have some more work to do. Once familiar with the car and the track, exit Free Practice and go to the Control Configuration menu.

For the purpose of this guide, first select 'Controller Input Mode 3'. These settings may work on Modes 1&2, but I have not tested this. Also, I shall be ignoring the clutch for now.

THROTTLE
Ok, let's talk 'Deadzones'. A value of '0' gives you trigger response immediately, whereas a value of '100' will give little, if any response until the trigger is fully pressed.
Now, 'Sensitivity'. A value of '0' will make your input more gradual. Whereas a value of '100' will give everything all at once! Therefore...

I see no sense in setting Throttle to anything other than Deadzone 0, Sensitivity 0?! This gives you the full range of play available within the trigger, combined with the most gradual acceleration (if required). IE If a car requires 25% throttle to maintain grip, then you have the ability to apply 25% throttle. Or 50%. Or 100%. It's all available on the trigger.

BRAKE
Similarly, I see no reason for any Deadzone on the brake. You want immediate feel upon application. So again set the Deadzone to '0'.
Sensitivity is a different matter. Remember, a value of '0' will make your input more gradual. Whereas a value of '100' will give everything all at once! Therefore...

If you are completely missing the corner and driving straight ahead - Increase sensitivity by 10%
If you are missing the apex or running a little wide - Increase sensitivity by 5%
If you are hitting braking zones, but falling short of ideal apex - Decrease sensitivity by 5%
If you are locking up, or stopping well short of the corner - Decrease sensitivity by 10%

Continue to adjust Sensitivity settings, and continue testing until you are comfortably hitting most apexes around our track. My brake sensitivity is set at 80%. I come from Forza driving no assists, and am very used to braking late whilst feathering the brakes. Some prefer to really hammer the brakes, and so a much lower setting would be preferred.

STEERING
Steering Deadzone - Now this works a little different. When driving an actual car, if you let go the wheel at speed, it settles back to centre. In order to replicate this in-game, we need to apply a little Steering Deadzone.

Far too little - the wheel will not settle easily and the car will be unstable. Particularly on corner exit.
Perfect - the car turns easily, with the wheel returning to centre on corner exit.
Far too much - the car will become difficult to turn and minor adjustments will become impossible.

My Steering Deadzone is set at 18, and found settings between 10 - 40 to be acceptable. Although 40 looked unusual?!

Steering Sensitivity - Really quite simple this. The current sensitivity is very high. I run this at '0' and would ideally run it at '-10' if I could. I found the car drivable up to a setting of '15', but it wasn't pleasant. Don't despair though, there's a couple more settings to get to which help greatly with steering response..

If you haven't already done so by this point, I suggest you apply these settings and go back to Free Practice to test them. You already know how the BMW handles around Imola (All settings will be as they were, just press 'Start'). You're not looking for a perfect drive...yet. You just want improvement...and here's some pointers:

The slightly curved pit straight is a perfect chance to test your steering deadzone. You should be able to make tiny adjustments, with the wheel always returning to centre when you release the stick.
The first corner (chicane 1) is an ideal spot for testing your hard braking response.
The next set of turns (chicane 2) provides a good spot for testing light braking, as it is a faster chicane, entered at lower speeds.
On exit of the next tight corner leading uphill, you have an ideal chance to test partial throttle response. As full throttle here will likely lead to oversteer (particularly on cold tyres).
Following another hard braking zone at the top of the hill, you're then faced with an off camber high speed turn (which, hopefully when we're done, you can 4 wheel drift around!)
Downhill, then back up again tests everything...including you're driving skills.
Another tight chicane with high kerbs will test your low speed steering response.
The downhill section is useful for testing the 'Speed Sensitivity' setting, which we'll discuss next...

SPEED SENSITIVITY
So what is it? Basically, with this set to '0', and you come tearing down the final hill section of Imola, any minor adjustments you make to the steering will be exaggerated greatly by the time you reach the bottom. Alternatively, if you set it to '100' you're steering input will be so dulled, you'll struggle to change direction at speed.

Now this took a bit of tweaking, but by jumping in 20% increments, then 10%, then 5%, I knew exactly when it felt just right. Between 50-70% appears to be the sweet spot. I was at 65, then changed to 60 after using a faster car. Which we'll get to soon.

CONTROLLER FILTERING SENSITIVITY
Sounds complicated doesn't it? I'm sure it was, but to you and me, it simply applies a filter to every tiny little input you make on the controller. In order to fully appreciate what this does, I suggest you set it to '0' and go for a couple of laps.
100% will not filter all input, but will become somewhat unresponsive. According to WMD Member Gooseone, "Settings up to 85 should still leave some fidelity". I personally found anything over 65% was too obtrusive. With everything else set, it was perfectly drivable at 0%, but it really does feel raw...hard to explain?! I finally settled on 55%, but I think this, more than any other setting is personal preference.

So back to testing. As stated earlier, the final downhill section is your best place to test the Speed Sensitivity.
Controller Filtering Sensitivity (CFS) is probably most noticeable on the pit straight. The minor adjustments required there are very twitchy when CFS is too low. Too high though and you lose feel in the handling.

So that pretty much covers it. Force Feedback really is your own preference. Mine is set at 90, for anyone whose following my own setup. The 'Advanced' settings, I have all switched on. I didn't notice a huge difference with them, once everything else was set, but they did appear to help when correcting a slide or countering oversteer. Basically...if I messed up, it was easier to save with the advanced settings on. Although, again thanks to Gooseone, if you tend to overcorrect, he advises that you turn 'Opposite Lock Help - Off.

If all has gone to plan, you're likely no longer reading this?! You are once again the master of the Tarmac, all that was wrong with the world is right again. I really hope so anyway. But there's a couple more things, to get everything just so...

It's time to discard our beloved Bee-M, and jump into a....cough! BMW Z4 GT3. So why we doing this? It's no good having just one car working with our controller setup, they all need to work. This car is heavier 2744 lbs, faster with more torque 484 HP/364 ft-lbf, yet still balanced 49/50. The tyres are heated right from the get-go. If the 320 turbo was driving beautifully, then this one likely will too, but you may need to tweak 5% here or there on brake balance, or speed sensitivity. Should take no more than a few minutes. When you're all done and setting purple sectors all over the place, I have a little challenge for you...

The Ford Sierra RS500 Cosworth! Remember to let the tyres heat up...

...if this helps even one person enjoy the game like I am now, then, well...I'll be pretty annoyed to be fair cos I've spent ages putting this together...lol. On a serious note though, this game is truly fantastic when it all comes together. To hear of people selling their copies because they can't get the controller to work for them is....at best, bonkers?! At worst, it's just a shame because Project Cars has the potential to be incredible. The racing community helped shape the game, and it's now up to the rest of us to help shape a community that will keep the game relevant for the months and years ahead.

sarsagent6
14-05-2015, 00:26
Great setup SilentChill. with manual and all assists off this is awesome, thanks.

Steering deadzone - 5
Steering sensitivy - 0
Throttle deadzone - 5
Throttle sensitivy - 0
Brake deadzone - 5
Brake sensitivy - 0
Clutch deadzone - 5
Clutch sensitivy - 0
Speed sensitivy - 70
Force feedback - 90

Advanced settings - on
Opposite Lock Help - Off

sarsagent6
14-05-2015, 00:38
Being an old skool GT fan, I changed the button layout settings to what I used to use in all Gt games. It helps with long fingers. <---yes my wife likes it.:onthego:

JohnnyDNGRSLY
14-05-2015, 02:12
As a longtime GTR2 and rFactor — and, more recently, Assetto Corsa — driver on the PC, I've been tweaking settings to try and get back that "GTR2 feel" I so loved. Actually, I spent some time with the Project CARS alpha back in 2011-2013, but the gamepad implementation was beyond terrible then.

I've had a lot of success with Input Mode 2, as the steering speed of Mode 3 is too slow when changing directions quickly (S-bends, chicanes, etc.).

Steering Deadzone - 0
Steering Sensitivity - 0
Throttle Deadzone - 0
Throttle Sensitivity - 25
Brake Deadzone - 0
Brake Sensitivity - 25
Clutch Deadzone - 0
Clutch Sensitivity - 25
Speed Sensitivity - 75 (I adjust only this value as needed depending on car type)
Controller Filtering Sensitivity - 50
Force Feedback - 100
RPM/Gear Display Yes

Advanced - On
Apply Soft Steering - On

Dreco
14-05-2015, 16:02

Steering Deadzone 5
Steering Sensitivity 30
Throttle Deadzone 10
Throttle Sensitivity 40
Brake Deadzone 10
Brake Sensitivity 30
Clutch Deadzone 10
Clutch Sensitivity 45
Speed Sensitivity 70
Force Feedback 100
RPM/Gear Display Yes

Advanced Off

Ace!

Thanks

Aizen21
15-05-2015, 09:33
Here's are my settings for PS4...please try them out :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s43wL4pP0Uw

Massy72
15-05-2015, 20:06
As a longtime GTR2 and rFactor — and, more recently, Assetto Corsa — driver on the PC, I've been tweaking settings to try and get back that "GTR2 feel" I so loved. Actually, I spent some time with the Project CARS alpha back in 2011-2013, but the gamepad implementation was beyond terrible then.

I've had a lot of success with Input Mode 2, as the steering speed of Mode 3 is too slow when changing directions quickly (S-bends, chicanes, etc.).

Steering Deadzone - 0
Steering Sensitivity - 0
Throttle Deadzone - 0
Brake Deadzone - 0
Brake Sensitivity - 25
Clutch Deadzone - 0
Clutch Sensitivity - 25
Speed Sensitivity - 75 (I adjust only this value as needed depending on car type)
Force Feedback - 100
RPM/Gear Display Yes

Advanced - On
Apply Soft Steering - On

I've been messing for a whole week now with different settings from here and didn't find one that I really liked.
Today I tried these settings from Johnny and its the first evening I really enjoyed playing Project Cars.

Thank you very much for sharing these settings, Johnny

krayzie
15-05-2015, 21:10
Steering Sensitivity 0 - this is good only for Karts, and maybe open wheel. Normal cars turn not that good as they should on this setting.

MULTIVITZ
15-05-2015, 22:31
Should we have to do this.....really....I can tune out fish tail behaviour from a car, in fact I can tune any car any way you like, but releasing a game in this condition......really.....I thought Turn10 had bad network programers lol
I found putting the throttle and brake sensitivity to 100 gave good direct control. Once you get the tunes stable and away from default you may be able to reduce the speed sensitivity I'm on 65 even in fast karts and the Clio Cup!

Jd42
16-05-2015, 01:26
Thanks.... This setup works great for me. ;)

Steering Deadzone - 0
Steering Sensitivity - 0
Throttle Deadzone - 0
Brake Deadzone - 0
Brake Sensitivity - 25
Clutch Deadzone - 0
Clutch Sensitivity - 25
Force Feedback - 100
RPM/Gear Display Yes

Advanced - On
Apply Soft Steering - On

LingeringRegime
16-05-2015, 02:12

Steering Deadzone - 0
Steering Sensitivity - 0
Throttle Deadzone - 0
Brake Deadzone - 0
Brake Sensitivity - 25
Clutch Deadzone - 0
Clutch Sensitivity - 25
Force Feedback - 100
RPM/Gear Display Yes

Advanced - On
Apply Soft Steering - On

Absolutely fantastic. Like a new game now.

CrypticSpartan
16-05-2015, 04:52
As many have done I've used posted settings and tweaked and re-tweaked. This has worked best for me thus far primarily with karts/superkarts but also with some of the "real" cars. Something I've learned is that the window to enter a turn is much smaller than GT and Forza have taught us. I have also learned that the line between entering a turn too fast and just right is also much smaller than I previously thought.

Steering deadzone= 5
Steering sensitivity= 10
Throttle deadzone= 5
Throttle sensitivity= 15
Brake deadzone= 5
Brake sensitivity= 15
------------------
Speed sensitivity= 70
Controller filtering= 40
Controller input mode= 2 (change this first apparently)
Advanced= on
Soft steering dampening= on
Visual wheel filtering= on

Seems everyone has their preference. Give it a shot if you haven't found yours. I've also found practice mode essential to learning each control scheme. Preferably practice with settings that match your current career track and car.

Skanda-Five
16-05-2015, 07:10
Following the ideal line can also be troublesome. Especially in slow chicanes like those found on Imola, Monza and Silverstone. My tip is to turn in late for the first turn and cut back on yourself to get an late apex on the second turn and power out. I'm thinking that this must work as now, if I spin it's on the exit than on entry or mid corner. I guess that can be called progress.

Time trial using ghosts is a great way to learn the tracks.

If you master a line that stays off the kerbs you can start working on suspension settings that can handle the kerbs. Softer is the way forward.

I may be slower but I regularly finish a lap without a spin. Much more conducive to finishing!

rocafella1978
16-05-2015, 17:35
Absolutely fantastic. Like a new game now.

same here! absolutely wonderful! thank you so much, really like a new game for me now!

cfiore99
17-05-2015, 01:45
So I tried JohnnyDNGRSLY's settings and I really liked them, and I had been using PuntNL's settings prior to that with great success. With both settings I was just missing something. So after spending a couple hours of going back and forth and trying different things, literally change one setting from one set to the other, I think I have found MY perfect settings. I have to give all credit to both PuntNL & JohnnyDNGRSLY as I used BOTH their setting as a base. Anyway, let me know what you guys think:

Steering Deadzone: 10
Steering Sensitivity: 30 (20)

Throttle Deadzone: 10
Throttle Sensitivity: 40

Brake Deadzone: 10
Brake Sensitivity: 30

Clutch Deadzone: 10
Clutch Sensitivity: 45

Speed Sensitivity: 75

Controller Filtering Sensitivity: 40

Force Feedback: 100
RPM Gear Display: Yes

Controller Input Mode: 2

Advanced: On
Soft Steering Dampening: On
Visual Wheel Filtering: Off
Opposite Lock Help: Off

JohnnyDNGRSLY
17-05-2015, 05:14
Thanks for all the appreciation for my settings!

Does anyone have some concrete info on…
• Soft Steering Dampening (how is this different from Controller Filtering Sensitivity?)
• Visual Wheel Filtering (is this truly just "visual," and what is it filtering?)
• Opposite Lock Help (the consensus seems to be "off" and the only comparison I can think of is the old PS3 Ferrari Challenge that would apply opposite lock itself in an oversteer situation, and it was really annoying… is this "active" help, or does it simply make opposite lock easier to manually apply?)

I think #1 on the wish list for me is going to be for controller settings to make it into the pause menu!

LingeringRegime
17-05-2015, 23:36
Thanks for all the appreciation for my settings!

Does anyone have some concrete info on…
• Soft Steering Dampening (how is this different from Controller Filtering Sensitivity?)
• Visual Wheel Filtering (is this truly just "visual," and what is it filtering?)
• Opposite Lock Help (the consensus seems to be "off" and the only comparison I can think of is the old PS3 Ferrari Challenge that would apply opposite lock itself in an oversteer situation, and it was really annoying… is this "active" help, or does it simply make opposite lock easier to manually apply?)

I think #1 on the wish list for me is going to be for controller settings to make it into the pause menu!

From here.........

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sho...g-up-a-gamepad

As with all options in Project Cars, there are many when it concerns using a gamepad, i'll try to explain a few.

Stick input is handled in different ways with the input system of Project CARS, input speed can vary between

Simply steering with the stick (Steering)
Moving the stick from side to side (Crossover)
Releasing the stick (Center)

The Crossover is there mainly to speed up the steering so that fast corrections can be made, it can potentially be cumbersome if there is tendency to over correct.
In case you find yourself correcting / swerving too much, just releasing the stick can be of use.
In the advanced options there is also an opposite lock help; this setting applies the Crossover speed in grip loss situations and it also gives you full steering lock.
If you are prone to correct too much, i would advice to turn this setting off.

There are 3 input modes and they behave a bit differently, even when all the menu options are set the same.
Atm, mode 1 has a different deadzone implementation, it can be set with a fairly high deadzone while mode 2 and 3 are best set according to how firm your analogue stick is.
(Less deadzone with a new pad, more with an old one, probably different between Xbox One and PS4 etc.)

You will have to experiment between the modes to see which steering speeds (and standard adjustable settings) you prefer.

The steering sensitivity concerns the linearity of the analogue stick, the more sensitivity you set, the curve will become more linear from the center.
Setting a value of 0 will make it most gradual from the center. This curve can be further modified by using the car setup options.
Every car has it's own (real) steering lock yet the steering ratio can be tuned to preference, this could theoretically make the sensitivity curve more gradual.
The setting is under the 'Alignment' tab and can be set to 'slowest' (all the way to the right) without much issues when using a gamepad.

Throttle and brake work in a similar fashion when it concerns deadzones and sensitivity.

Speed sensitivity reduces your steering lock at a certain speed, making you able to move the analogue stick fully to the side without disastrous results (usually).
You will have to find a compromise between being able to give full analogue stick input and being able to make a turn (at speed off course).
If you use a cockpit view with a visible wheel i'd suggest to try and use lower speed sensitivity and use the steering wheel to gauge the amount of input you need to give.
Naturally, because Project CARS is an advanced simulator there are also visible cues and cues from the FFB to gauge your driving :).

(Currently, using an Xbox One controller on the PC can cause the FFB to become distorted; on the Xbox it causes other issues like lag, dropping sound etc,
it's a know issue and being worked on. Setting Force Feedback to 0 is a temporary solution. Steering can also 'hang' if you move the stick from side to side in rapid succession,
this is usually not an issue when driving normally and releasing the stick will "unstick" it, setting deadzone to 0 is also a solution. On Xbox One,
make sure you have the latest controller updates by hooking your controller up physically and install the latest controller updates which were in Feb. system update.)

There is also a 'Controller Filtering Sensitivity' setting which filters out a certain part of what you're doing with the analogue stick.
Setting this to 100 does not filter out all of your inputs yet at that point inputs will have become a bit unresponsive, settings up to 85 should still leave some fidelity.
'Soft Steering Dampening' is there to smooth out / dampen the input while retaining fidelity although a certain sense of "directness" can be lost.

It appears that there are very different driving styles when using a pad; the Forza/GT chase style driving with a lot of speed sensitivity,
the 'glued thumb' style people who prefer direct control (and of which i wonder how their thumb doesn't cramp up), people who tap the analogue stick etc.
This makes for many different preferences to cater to and it can make it difficult at times to gather what people expect when they have issues with the controls,
there's a lot of adjustability but not everything is possible.

Backshot Boss
18-05-2015, 01:01
Preset mode 2? whats that? Sorry, not trying to be a dick. Played the game for the first time this afternoon, im at work right now. But i dont recall presets

JohnnyDNGRSLY
18-05-2015, 03:15
Preset mode 2? whats that?
Wow, what a dick. :p

Toward the bottom of all the deadzone and sensitivity adjustments is something called "Controller Input Mode". What we've all found through usage is that changing it adjusts the sliders above it to new defaults… but also changes some attributes we don't have access to, such as steering speed (think of this as the time it takes for the in-game steering to turn from full left to full right if you flicked the thumbstick quickly) and default deadzone (hint: "0" still does not mean no deadzone).

The main reason you see a lot of "change this first" is that your choices for sensitivities and deadzones are all reset when you change the mode.

What I've found so far is… (and correct me if I'm wrong!)

Mode 1: very "controller-ish" with a large default deadzone but high sensitivity
Mode 2: probably the best all-round mode, small deadzone and reasonable sensitivity
Mode 3: similar to 2, but seems to be a much slower steering speed

I'm still experimenting, though…!

Marcd23
18-05-2015, 07:23
Does anybody know and able to give a description of what the controller filtering does?

cfiore99
18-05-2015, 12:57
So I tried JohnnyDNGRSLY's settings and I really liked them, and I had been using PuntNL's settings prior to that with great success. With both settings I was just missing something. So after spending a couple hours of going back and forth and trying different things, literally change one setting from one set to the other, I think I have found MY perfect settings. I have to give all credit to both PuntNL & JohnnyDNGRSLY as I used BOTH their setting as a base. Anyway, let me know what you guys think:

Not that anyone cares but after driving with these in a Kart race, then the Caterham 7 race and then the Historic BMW race I made a change to the steering sensitivity, it was slightly too twitchy so I brought it down and I think it is much better. Change is in red.

adamske10
18-05-2015, 13:08
Hey guys. Quick question what is the 'Controller Filtering Sensitivity' its the only thing I don't understand can anyone enlighten me?

robbyracer82
18-05-2015, 13:30

Steering Deadzone 5
Steering Sensitivity 30
Throttle Deadzone 10
Throttle Sensitivity 40
Brake Deadzone 10
Brake Sensitivity 30
Clutch Deadzone 10
Clutch Sensitivity 45
Speed Sensitivity 70
Force Feedback 100
RPM/Gear Display Yes

Advanced Off

Thank you! Makes the game playable! Changed the game for me!

BlkBullitt
18-05-2015, 14:13

Steering Deadzone 5
Steering Sensitivity 30
Throttle Deadzone 10
Throttle Sensitivity 40
Brake Deadzone 10
Brake Sensitivity 30
Clutch Deadzone 10
Clutch Sensitivity 45
Speed Sensitivity 70
Force Feedback 100
RPM/Gear Display Yes

Advanced Off

Still not perfect, still have to try lots of things and will adjust accordingly.Used this for my start in Formula Rookie and seems to work ok. Only have one race day under my belt so we'll see how it plays out the rest of the season.

aaronmullan789
18-05-2015, 19:46
Tank slapping in certain cars is an issue for me. Does anyone have advice?

Also I can't find out what the full range of wheels are available for ps4, I know of the thrustmaster and fanatec but are there any others. Thanks in advance:)

madmax2069
18-05-2015, 21:33

Also I can't find out what the full range of wheels are available for ps4, I know of the thrustmaster and fanatec but are there any others. Thanks in advance:)

What do you mean by tank slapping ?

And the official supported wheel list is on their web page http://www.projectcarsgame.com/beyond-reality.html

kalbo777
19-05-2015, 02:43
This is a great thread. I have tried various settings posted on other threads which were good and I will try out a few of the settings posted here however I tried out the settings below just from trial and error like most people are doing and find these give me much more consistent smooth driving (I tend to make very small & quick micro adjustments to the stick when steering) Previously I was going off track and getting the Invalid Lap etc on every lap now I'm managing some decent hot laps. I am driving GT3 cars the majority of the time.

Steering Deadzone - 5
Steering Sensitivity - 35
Throttle Deadzone - 5
Throttle Sensitivity - 35
Brake Deadzone - 5
Brake Sensitivity - 35
Clutch Deadzone - 0
Clutch Sensitivity - 45
Speed Sensitivity - 70
Control Filtering Sensitivity - 55
Opposite Lock Help - Off
FFB - 100
ADV - OFF
Mode - 3 (to be honest, haven't tried the other modes yet)

Manual gears - 'R1' Up & 'L1' Down..
'L' stick for steering, 'X' for accelerate & 'Square' for brake, not perfect by any means but i get by.

I could almost cry looking at my G27 & Playseat sitting idle while I try and fight with a DS4 just to make a clean lap:D

ThaJay
19-05-2015, 17:50

Do you mean fast oversteer correction? I have problems with that too, tried lots of settings.
on the fwd cars you just floor it :p so no issue there.

JayChristmas
19-05-2015, 18:48
All sensitives 0
All dead zones 5
Controllers Filter 50
Gear up X-button
Gear down on square square-button
View back triange-button
Pit on touchpad
Handbrake and clutch l1 r1
All others Standard

xxoxxGURUxxoxx
19-05-2015, 19:48
I Love Driving with the Settings now pls vote it to rolout as Standard Settings so much better to Drive and i Bet you forget all bugs or failures its made so much more fun!! Pls vote lets Define as Standard !!!!

JohnnyDNGRSLY
19-05-2015, 20:37
After a little experimentation last night with Controller Filtering Sensitivity, I've found…

• Low values seem to increase steering "directness" and the responsiveness near the center/deadzone
• High values almost disconnect the on-screen steering wheel from the front wheels

These experiments were all made using Input Mode 3 and with the same deadzone and sensitivity values. At high Filtering Sensitivity values — this is very difficult to describe — the controller still moves the on-screen steering wheel 1:1, but the actual steering effect is delayed or reduced when movements are made near the center. This dramatically increases the further away from center the steering is pushed. It really creates an undesirable effect when using values higher than about 75. It seems to create these "steps" of sensitivity as you gradually steer across the range.

TL;DR version: Controller Filtering Sensitivity seems to be a sort of blend of traditional deadzone and sensitivity adjustment.

I will experiment further using a consistent value for Filtering, and changing values of steering sensitivity and speed sensitivity.

My biggest frustration so far with the controls is the continued existence of a minimum deadzone even after "0" is chosen in the menu.

LingeringRegime
20-05-2015, 02:41
All sensitives 0
All dead zones 5
Controllers Filter 50
Gear up X-button
Gear down on square square-button
View back triange-button
Pit on touchpad
Handbrake and clutch l1 r1
All others Standard

Haven't tried these yet, but I like the simplicity and logic. Controller input is three I assume?

Pink_650S
20-05-2015, 03:22
If anyone is interested, here are my settings, which brought me a good amount of online wins :rolleyes:

Steering Deadzone 10
Steering Sensitivity 0
Throttle Deadzone 10
Throttle Sensitivity 10
Brake Deadzone 10
Brake Sensitivity 10
Clutch Deadzone 10
Clutch Sensitivity 10
Speed Sensitivity 65
Controller Filtering Sensitivity 0
Force Feedback 100
RPM/Gear Display Yes

Seems like the button layout has been requested too?

R2 - Throttle
L2 - Brake
L1 - Headlights (Perfect button to tap when approaching lapped vehicles etc.)
R1 - Handbrake (Weird button, yes, but its no use to me anyway)

Cross - DRS
Triangle - KERS (Great button, this way you can still upshift with circle)
Circle - Upshift
Square - Downshift

(D-Pad)
Left - Windshield Wiper
Right - Toggle Motec LCD (Great to check tyre and brake temperature during a race)
Up - Increase Brake Balance
Down - Decrease Brake Balance

Press L3 - Reset Vehicle
Press R3 - Look Behind
Press Touchpad - Toggle Camera
Wipe Touchpad Horizontally - Toggle HUD (Great to get more info from telemetry when needed)

Deadzone
20-05-2015, 04:13
I've been using full manual clutch mapped to down on the Right stick. This way I can use the clutch with analog input to mimic a real life clutch. I get much better control over gear shifts, race starts ect. I can use it to dip the clutch in certain situations for greater control.

I'm using no assists, No Automatic Clutch, though I have mapped the option to toggle it on/off to down on the Dpad. It's handy to turn on sometimes.

I've maped upshift to R1, and downshift to a click on R3. Down shift on R3 allows me full modulation over the brakes, clutch and throttle on corner entry and still easily access the gear down button.

So my inputs for down shifting would go like this.
- R thumb down on Right stick to engage clutch pedal.
- R thumb clicks R3 to change gears.
- "blip" throttle with R2
- R thumb releases Right stick to centre to depress clutch pedal.

This config requires you to use your right middle finger for throttle and your index finger to upshift. I found it odd to begin with but didn't take long to adjust. It felt almost impossible to drive at first, but I could see the benefits from full modulation over the clutch so I stuck with it.

Here is my button Config. I'm curious as to how others find this setup.

Pink_650S
20-05-2015, 04:21
Do you put your middlefinger on R2?
Because the Throttle + KERS + Upshift combination seems kind of impossible ;)

Deadzone
20-05-2015, 04:48
I don't drive cars with Kers so it's not an issue. You could swap it with the handbrake on L1.

The main button config I was trying to highlight was mainly having the clutch on the right stick. Most of the other functions can be changed to suit the user. I have to use a semi "crab" grip on the controller with this setup, that's why It felt alien at first, but after just a few laps I was getting used to it.

akiba34
20-05-2015, 05:59
I've been using full manual clutch mapped to down on the Right stick. This way I can use the clutch with analog input to mimic a real life clutch. I get much better control over gear shifts, race starts ect. I can use it to dip the clutch in certain situations for greater control.

I'm using no assists, No Automatic Clutch, though I have mapped the option to toggle it on/off to down on the Dpad. It's handy to turn on sometimes.

I've maped upshift to R1, and downshift to a click on R3. Down shift on R3 allows me full modulation over the brakes, clutch and throttle on corner entry and still easily access the gear down button.

So my inputs for down shifting would go like this.
- R thumb down on Right stick to engage clutch pedal.
- R thumb clicks R3 to change gears.
- "blip" throttle with R2
- R thumb releases Right stick to centre to depress clutch pedal.

This config requires you to use your right middle finger for throttle and your index finger to upshift. I found it odd to begin with but didn't take long to adjust. It felt almost impossible to drive at first, but I could see the benefits from full modulation over the clutch so I stuck with it.

Here is my button Config. I'm curious as to how others find this setup.

That setup looks beyond confusing to me. Even the default setup doesn't work for me. I have (X) as throttle and (square) as brake, with L1 and R1 for shifting. That's how I've had it through every Gran Turismo game. It worked well in Gran Turismo, because it aloud me to somewhat simulate the Heel and toe technique, by using the top of my thumb to brake, while using the middle of my thumb to throttle. However, heel and toe in Pcars, doesn't seem to work as well. Then again, this game feels totally different, so maybe it would work, but I just need to retrain my fingers to fit the Pcars, style.

Also, as I was told, the PS4 controller no longer has pressure sensitivity. This means I am either full throttle or full brake. I counter this by using ABS, or if ABS is off, I use Cadence braking. As for throttle, I pulse throttle in low gears.

Deadzone
20-05-2015, 06:13
You need to be able to modulate the clutch to heel toe properly. That's why I have it on the right stick.
This setup allows you to drive it more like a real car. You could try mapping the clutch to one of the triggers, it works well too, though I am used to using the triggers for brake and accel. So I mapped it to the stick.

Kkj10
20-05-2015, 06:17
I'm having issues getting reverse gear. When in a race and you spin off I end up getting quite frustrated finding it. I've mapped it to triangle but it doesn't seem to work. Even when I'm stopped and in 1st or neutral.

kalbo777
20-05-2015, 07:14
I'm having issues getting reverse gear. When in a race and you spin off I end up getting quite frustrated finding it. I've mapped it to triangle but it doesn't seem to work. Even when I'm stopped and in 1st or neutral.

If using manual gears just use your down shift until you hit reverse or in auto press the brake and when you come to a a complete stop reverse gear should kick in.

Jogi
20-05-2015, 07:15
I have to say that I have been "playing" this game for about 7-8 hours and most of it just trying to get pad config to work. I clearly understand all setting and how they work but still my conclusion is that pad "code" is clearly bad, current settings dont get pad work like other modern car games have.. Twitchy oversteer or understeering is what we get (depending of speed)
Sure there are "sensitive thumb" players out there or some who "learn" playing hours and hours just to compensate "bad" pad code.. And sure some race cars are almost too well driveable (train on rails..) even with bad pad code but some are so twitchy that I really dont think they really are. Cars like Bmw M1 is undriveable at low to moderate speed, little bit over steering and game over, no change to correct slide. I have had no problems with other car/racing games (simulation or not)

I rather fight with my skills, car handling, track learning than fighting with poor pad code.. In my case game goes to waiting updates for gfx ghosting and pad code.. :(

Pink_650S
20-05-2015, 07:57
I have to say that I have been "playing" this game for about 7-8 hours and most of it just trying to get pad config to work. I clearly understand all setting and how they work but still my conclusion is that pad "code" is clearly bad, current settings dont get pad work like other modern car games have.. Twitchy oversteer or understeering is what we get (depending of speed)
Sure there are "sensitive thumb" players out there or some who "learn" playing hours and hours just to compensate "bad" pad code.. And sure some race cars are almost too well driveable (train on rails..) even with bad pad code but some are so twitchy that I really dont think they really are. Cars like Bmw M1 is undriveable at low to moderate speed, little bit over steering and game over, no change to correct slide. I have had no problems with other car/racing games (simulation or not)

I rather fight with my skills, car handling, track learning than fighting with poor pad code.. In my case game goes to waiting updates for gfx ghosting and pad code.. :(

I think the BMW M1 is fairly easy to drive.
Are you sure you drove the car until the tires heated up?

2nd: Why not get a wheel when you cant control the cars with the pad?

andy81287
20-05-2015, 08:34
How the hell do you change the button configs? I tried every option I can think of and still doesn't change any button except from the cross button. Really starting to tick me off. My friend managed it no bother, he has the physical copy while I have the digital download, would this have anything to do with it as I would imagine it wouldn't? All I want is to put Kers and DRS on the R1/L1 combo and upshift/downshift on the cross/square.

P.S. I know this sounds really NOOBish :P

Deadzone
20-05-2015, 09:22
How the hell do you change the button configs? I tried every option I can think of and still doesn't change any button except from the cross button. Really starting to tick me off. My friend managed it no bother, he has the physical copy while I have the digital download, would this have anything to do with it as I would imagine it wouldn't? All I want is to put Kers and DRS on the R1/L1 combo and upshift/downshift on the cross/square.

P.S. I know this sounds really NOOBish :P
Highlight the function you wish to change, press Cross(x) once, then press the button you wish to change it to.

If your controller is somehow giving you two clicks every time you press X, it would keep assigning X automatically.

andy81287
20-05-2015, 09:32
Highlight the function you wish to change, press Cross(x) once, then press the button you wish to change it to.

If your controller is somehow giving you two clicks every time you press X, it would keep assigning X automatically.

Will try it again tonight, maybe have double clicked it by mistake but its really frustrating as I want to change manaully, sick of the transmission deciding to drop four gears in one go, lock the rear axel and send me spinning.

adamske10
20-05-2015, 10:16
Hey guys. Quick question what is the 'Controller Filtering Sensitivity' its the only thing I don't understand can anyone enlighten me?

Can anybody answer this you all seem to be messing with controller filtering so can anybody tell me what it is..?

Kkj10
20-05-2015, 13:29
If using manual gears just use your down shift until you hit reverse or in auto press the brake and when you come to a a complete stop reverse gear should kick in.

Thanks. I'm using manual. I have no issues finding reverse its the amount of time it takes to get there. For example spinning out on a high speed corner say in 4th gear. If I come to a stop and I'm still in 4th I've got press my downshift button 5 times. I've mapped triangle to select reverse but it doesn't work. Just wondering what I'm doing wrong.

JohnnyDNGRSLY
20-05-2015, 16:56
Can anybody answer this you all seem to be messing with controller filtering so can anybody tell me what it is..?
From my experimentation, Controller Filtering Sensitivity seems to be an "amplifier" for the traditional Steering Sensitivity that may be specifically made for gamepads. It dulls the steering input near center (much more than Steering Sensitivity alone) and "amplifies" it near the extremes. I have played with it at very low settings, and very high ones, and conclude that it's a sort of "hybrid" of many types of steering sensitivity into one. For example, I was able to get 'round a circuit in an LMP2 car pretty well with CFS at 100 and Speed Sensitivity at 0, but I've found the best values seem to mirror my Speed Sensitivity setting.

Currently, I've found a good all-around mixture by using Speed Sensitivity and Controller Filtering Sensitivity both at 60 for high-speed cars (LMP1/2, FA/B, and supercars) and both at 65 or 70 for low-speed cars (FG, FR, touring, road, track cars). Any higher a value seems to "amplify" the Speed Sensitivity value and you get a straight-line-only car at anything above 3rd gear.

For reference I am a longtime GTR2 PC player, play with a "glued thumb", and prefer a low sensitivity so I feel like I can place the car anywhere I want on the track. My litmus test for steering sensitivity is whether I can "flirt" with the outside kerbing on corner exit and put exactly how many wheels onto it that I want.

aaronmullan789
20-05-2015, 21:01
Do you mean fast oversteer correction? I have problems with that too, tried lots of settings.
on the fwd cars you just floor it :p so no issue there.

Yes this is it, it's mainly with the BMW 1 series. Thanks Madmax

andy81287
21-05-2015, 06:58
Will try it again tonight, maybe have double clicked it by mistake but its really frustrating as I want to change manaully, sick of the transmission deciding to drop four gears in one go, lock the rear axel and send me spinning.

So tried it and still nothing, as soon as I click cross it changes option to cross and then doesn't change anything else at all. Now really starting to get annoying, anyone else had this issue with trying to set button configs?

bataleon
22-05-2015, 08:48

Thanks mate, these are fantastic :)

adamske10
22-05-2015, 11:00
From my experimentation, Controller Filtering Sensitivity seems to be an "amplifier" for the traditional Steering Sensitivity that may be specifically made for gamepads. It dulls the steering input near center (much more than Steering Sensitivity alone) and "amplifies" it near the extremes. I have played with it at very low settings, and very high ones, and conclude that it's a sort of "hybrid" of many types of steering sensitivity into one. For example, I was able to get 'round a circuit in an LMP2 car pretty well with CFS at 100 and Speed Sensitivity at 0, but I've found the best values seem to mirror my Speed Sensitivity setting.

Currently, I've found a good all-around mixture by using Speed Sensitivity and Controller Filtering Sensitivity both at 60 for high-speed cars (LMP1/2, FA/B, and supercars) and both at 65 or 70 for low-speed cars (FG, FR, touring, road, track cars). Any higher a value seems to "amplify" the Speed Sensitivity value and you get a straight-line-only car at anything above 3rd gear.

For reference I am a longtime GTR2 PC player, play with a "glued thumb", and prefer a low sensitivity so I feel like I can place the car anywhere I want on the track. My litmus test for steering sensitivity is whether I can "flirt" with the outside kerbing on corner exit and put exactly how many wheels onto it that I want.. Thank you

spirit75752000
22-05-2015, 21:17
I have found a perfect controller setting I am at last very happy with. It seems to work for everything from an open wheel Lotus to the tricky Mk1 Escort. I start off with Controller Preset 3. then turn down STEERING DEADZONE to 10 and STEERING SENSITIVITY to 40. I believe just tweaking the preset to dumb down the twitchy steering is enough to make cars controllable but the steering is still quick enough to hammer around sharp corners.

hawlbucker
28-05-2015, 00:57
I dont know why i cant utilize my keyboard to map buttons on my ps4 to Pcars. i tried and every key i tried to map for in my case was trying to get the seat adjustment to work to no avail.. the game sees my keyboard. i can use the left, right ,up ,down and enter to navigate through the settings, button mapping page etc. with keyboard, so pcars see it but says all keys are mapped,. if anyone figures out how to utilize the keyboard long side my controller please let me know ok. i tried but was unsuccessful maybe i wasnt doing something right. maybe one of you would have better luck. cause i thought hey i dont need to re map buttons on my controller i will just use some keys on my wireless keyboard.. it says:"multiple inputs were detected. no action was assigned."

RockyAlexander
30-05-2015, 22:06
Mode 3, Steering Sensitivity and Steering Deadzone both at zero, all other controller settings at default is working perfectly for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hH0XveGj-40

itsmeitsb
30-05-2015, 23:04
Hello all,

Been playing the game since launch with the default (3) settings for controls. Haven't played in about a week or so, started back up today..

My 250cc Superkart, that had been functioning perfectly (nearly finished with season) now acts as though it's being sideswiped. I'll be driving in a straight line, and it will just suddenly take off to the right or left without me touching anything.

I've tried a number of setups here, none seem to change this effect. I've changed nothing to my setup from where it was weeks ago and drove just perfectly.

My career is unplayable right now.. help?

aaronmullan789
31-05-2015, 04:53
Mode 3, Steering Sensitivity and Steering Deadzone both at zero, all other controller settings at default is working perfectly for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hH0XveGj-40

You're my hero.

Deadzone
31-05-2015, 12:40
Try my DS4 settings in my sig, I'm a glued thumb, analog driver.

itsmeitsb
31-05-2015, 13:58
Hello all,

Been playing the game since launch with the default (3) settings for controls. Haven't played in about a week or so, started back up today..

My 250cc Superkart, that had been functioning perfectly (nearly finished with season) now acts as though it's being sideswiped. I'll be driving in a straight line, and it will just suddenly take off to the right or left without me touching anything.

I've tried a number of setups here, none seem to change this effect. I've changed nothing to my setup from where it was weeks ago and drove just perfectly.

My career is unplayable right now.. help?

Apparently a good hard factory reset on all settings/tunings was my answer. =/

rollie_dollie
31-05-2015, 15:58
Hey im noticing my controller settings keep changing on their own. For example my steering deadzone would be on 5 and after a couple of races ill check on it again and it'll be on 15.Im using mode #1.Anybody experience this?

ralphracer
01-06-2015, 20:49
Hey im noticing my controller settings keep changing on their own. For example my steering deadzone would be on 5 and after a couple of races ill check on it again and it'll be on 15.Im using mode #1.Anybody experience this?

Just came here to find an answer to the exact problem.

nodrodee
03-06-2015, 16:44
ping for later

Dcfreak2007
05-06-2015, 03:02
Hey guys. I have experienced a serious latency input bug since the release of Pcars on ps4. I have spent hours on this game driving with no problems both on and offline. For some reason the controller input will stick with all controls and get so laggy that the vehicle is no longer controllable. For example I will go to steer and all of the sudden the car keeps steering right into the wall. I'll tap the throttle, but the input won't affect my vehicle for like a full second. I didn't change anything. It's like a switch flips and the controller communication to the game just totally halts.

Dcfreak2007
05-06-2015, 03:06
I tried other games and had absolutely no problems. So obviously it is Pcars. Never had any kind of controller bug that bad throughout the ps4's existence

SGsilky
07-06-2015, 00:42
I changed to this controller setting and won my first race ever! Even had pole position!

Steering Deadzone 5
Steering Sensitivity 30
Throttle Deadzone 10
Throttle Sensitivity 40
Brake Deadzone 10
Brake Sensitivity 30
Clutch Deadzone 10
Clutch Sensitivity 45
Speed Sensitivity 70
Force Feedback 100
RPM/Gear Display Yes

Advanced Off

Pcars
07-06-2015, 15:41
Here is mine for DS4 if anyone would like to try or any ideas where I can improve.

Steering deadzone 5
Steering sensitivity 30

Throttle deadzone 0
Throttle sensitivity 40

Brake deadzone 0
Brake sensitivity 30

Clutch deadzone 10
Clutch sensitivity 45

Speed sensitivity 50
Controller sensitivity 45

FFB 100

Advance
Soft steering
Visual wheel filtering

Mode 3

Toppers17
10-06-2015, 16:07
Here are my DS4 settings:

Controller Preset Mode 2

Steering Deadzone 5
Steering Sensitivity 15
Throttle Deadzone 10
Throttle Sensitivity 40
Brake Deadzone 10
Brake Sensitivity 30
Clutch Deadzone 0
Clutch Sensitivity 25
Speed Sensitivity 75
Force Feedback 100
RPM/Gear Display Yes

Advanced On (On; Off; Off)

Feels pretty smooth. Please give it a go, looking for comments on possible improvements. Cannot wait to try out Motion Control when 1.4 drops!!!

MonoBarrientos
10-06-2015, 17:25

Hi, maybe is similar to my problem with the control:
After playing without great problems first 4 races (finish 1st), control was very good, all is OK.....then, AND WITHOUT REASON, CONTROL TURNS CRAZY, and the game became umplayable... and the problem now affects all the cars, in my opinion is a VERY CRITICAL BUG because the altered configuration was "saved", and maybe the only solution will be delete all save data and restart....

I use the dualshock 4 and only change the Left stick by D-button for move the car...but thats is not excuse, because in the beginning, works excelent....I think "SOMETHING" in the control options "change" automatically without my intervention, and i have no patience for check options again and again if is not my fault ...

This game could be brillant, but is, sadly, unfinished...

Remy1986
12-06-2015, 20:04
Using gamepad, manual transmission. Having issue with pressing upshift/downshift once and going through 2 or 3 gears. Controller is only about two months old. Anybody else having similar issue?

hanteed24
15-06-2015, 15:47
hey guys wich is the best controller sensitivity for motion sensor?

bataleon
16-06-2015, 05:50
Using gamepad, manual transmission. Having issue with pressing upshift/downshift once and going through 2 or 3 gears. Controller is only about two months old. Anybody else having similar issue?

Negative mate. What buttons are binded to the up/down shift?

I'm using X as upshift and Square as downshift. No probs at all. A friend of mine taps the right analogue stick up and down to shift, but that method just isn't for me.

2pfspiff
16-06-2015, 12:35

Steering Deadzone - 0
Steering Sensitivity - 0
Throttle Deadzone - 0
Brake Deadzone - 0
Brake Sensitivity - 25
Clutch Deadzone - 0
Clutch Sensitivity - 25
Force Feedback - 100
RPM/Gear Display Yes

Advanced - On
Apply Soft Steering - On

@JohnnyDNGRSLY

Thanks for the set up. This worked awesome for me. Even worked with the Karts.

Remy1986
16-06-2015, 20:29
Negative mate. What buttons are binded to the up/down shift?

I'm using X as upshift and Square as downshift. No probs at all. A friend of mine taps the right analogue stick up and down to shift, but that method just isn't for me.

Using square as downshift, circle as upshift. Friend of mine has a similar problem on Xbone. Bought a new controller, still happening.

jpl8910
17-06-2015, 16:03
friends wich is the best controller sensitivity for motion sensor?

GoPrO_BMX
17-06-2015, 23:01
Seem to be going good with these settings!

Steering Deadzone 20
Steering Sensitivity 0
Throttle Deadzone 0
Throttle Sensitivity 30
Brake Deadzone 0
Brake Sensitivity 60
Clutch Deadzone 0
Clutch Sensitivity 0
Speed Sensitivity 65
Force Feedback 80
RPM/Gear Display Yes

Apply Soft Steering - On

Does that make the game feel more like Gran Turismo?

Miths
23-06-2015, 16:04
My DS4 is vibrating constantly (and I do mean constantly) when I'm using tilt controls for steering. Anyone else have this problem? It's unplayable in that state unless I turn FFB down to 0 - or feel in the mood for a hand massage.

I tried switching back to normal thumb stick controls and vibration is back to normal (ie. primarily gentle feedback during gear changes and when going off track). Same cars and tracks.

sp0q
24-06-2015, 06:51
I can't recall where I got these setting from but I do want to credit 'someone from the interwebz', so I'll quote his whole post.

Steering Deadzone - 0
Steering Sensitivity - 0
Throttle Deadzone - 0
Brake Deadzone - 0
Brake Sensitivity - 25
Clutch Deadzone - 0
Clutch Sensitivity - 25
Force Feedback - 100
RPM/Gear Display Yes

Advanced - On
Apply Soft Steering - On

The only thing I changed for now is Speed Sensitivity brought down to 60 cause I found myself constantly missing the apex on 75. It works perfectly even on karts (didn't try the really fast stuff yet though).

cudirage13
24-06-2015, 20:53
Ok so ever since the PS4 update sometimes when I'm in Free Practice I cannot shift up or down at random times. It will randomly happen at certain times even if it has been good the whole way till that moment. Anyone else have this problem?

bataleon
25-06-2015, 06:57
I can't recall where I got these setting from but I do want to credit 'someone from the interwebz'

They're from JohnnyDNGRSLY on page 9 of this thread mate ;) He must've posted them elsewhere too.

I agree, they work brilliantly for me too :D

BongoKongo
28-06-2015, 07:38
They're from JohnnyDNGRSLY on page 9 of this thread mate ;) He must've posted them elsewhere too.

I agree, they work brilliantly for me too :D
If you want to get these JohnnyDNGRSLY settings (& others) to be just about perfect with the ps4 controller (probably with EggBox controller as well) here is a little extra tweak that I haven't seen listed or mentioned anywhere else yet. I was gunna continue keeing it a secret but why bother.. I got nothing to gain. I can hold my own & beat the AI on 100% now ( with some effort) so online will be OK for me too. I think these settings give you the best Game-pad racing you will ever get on a Toy console..

If you go to the "My Garage" Page/ click on "Edit current setup or Create new setup"/ You will see the "Tires & Brakes" Heading.
Now press the R2 button Twice & it will bring up "Alignment".
Now just adjust your "Steering Ratio" to about 18.9.1 you can + or - to suit your preferences. But adjusting this one last setting & combining it with the JohhnyD setting will smooth out the controller steering to being 99.9% perfect. No more jerking left or right while turning corners and steering straight finally stays straight.
I used to hate chicanes until I discovered this setting,, now I luv em.
You can also correct a wayward & loose rear end (usually caused by over-steer) & avoid spinning out which was almost impossible to do before & if you did get it straight again it was probably sheer luck more than anything else.
Cheers Big Ears

bataleon
01-07-2015, 06:06
If you want to get these JohnnyDNGRSLY settings (& others) to be just about perfect with the ps4 controller...

Thanks mate, you're a gentleman and a scallop ;) I'll give it a whirl tonight!

bataleon
03-07-2015, 11:04
Update: I tried your suggestion. This was the first time I've actually delved into the tuning side of things.

I noticed that all the cars have vastly different parameters to one another, so my question is how could the single setting of "18.9.1" or thereabouts, work for the whole car roster? I'm not sure it could.

BongoKongo
05-07-2015, 04:19
Update: I tried your suggestion. This was the first time I've actually delved into the tuning side of things.

I noticed that all the cars have vastly different parameters to one another, so my question is how could the single setting of "18.9.1" or thereabouts, work for the whole car roster? I'm not sure it could.
You are right,, You can't use 18.9.1 for every vehicle, I don't.
But I also can't tell you every setting to use for every car, You have to work that out for yourself.
Your driving style would probably not be the same as mine anyway.
But if you use that "18.9.1" as your starting point & adjust up or down slightly like I suggested in my post you can usually get them all pretty right. I use a 19+ setting on one vehicle & a 17.5 on another. It just depends.
If your looking for outright handling consistency then get a wheel & you probably won't even have to touch this setting.
But since I started playing with the ps4 controller & by adjusting this one setting I am able to drive almost as smoothly as if I was using a wheel, some online players I have raced against don't believe that I am using a controller.

bataleon
05-07-2015, 11:02
Ok cool, I'm hearing you now. Alignment plays a big part in how the car handles, and 18.9.1 is a good starting point to tweak from.

Unfortunately this weekend has been a write-off, doing chores and whatnot so I didn't have a whole lot of time behind the wheel (controller).

I'm keen to give it a good crack very soon though and will heed your advice. Thanks again mate :)

beer_n_frites
06-07-2015, 17:21
Anyone else found that the sliders now don't go to values ending in 5 or 0 e.g. 25, 50 75 etc?

bcruise
07-07-2015, 05:59
Anyone else found that the sliders now don't go to values ending in 5 or 0 e.g. 25, 50 75 etc?

Yes. In all input modes, they seem to go in increments of 6.

anthonyl
08-07-2015, 06:28
My son has the PS 4 version of this game and for the life of us we are unable to change the view. The default says the square button...pressing that does nothing so we mapped another button to it and even that does not work..

How do you change the cockpit view?

Formula1269
12-07-2015, 00:07
Since 2.0, I am no longer able to save any new control settings that I assign. Therefore, I'm stuck with the mapped settings I had before the update?

Deadzone
12-07-2015, 00:12
Since 2.0, I am no longer able to save any new control settings that I assign. Therefore, I'm stuck with the mapped settings I had before the update?

I came across this problem too, trying to assign keyboard buttons. What I had to do was make my assignments then press L1 to change menu screen, then save and exit. I hope this works for you.

Formula1269
12-07-2015, 00:16
I came across this problem too, trying to assign keyboard buttons. What I had to do was make my assignments then press L1 to change menu screen, then save and exit. I hope this works for you.

Cheers. Will give it try.

Jakob
20-07-2015, 19:57

Steering Deadzone - 0
Steering Sensitivity - 0
Throttle Deadzone - 0
Brake Deadzone - 0
Brake Sensitivity - 25
Clutch Deadzone - 0
Clutch Sensitivity - 25
Force Feedback - 100
RPM/Gear Display Yes

Advanced - On
Apply Soft Steering - On

Love this DS4 setup!! I bumped up the steering sensitivity, in some slow corners I had trouble with understeering. I'm happy that I can come out of a corner, onto a straight and the car will go straight and I don't have to constantly tap the stick to keep it in a straight line.

All around, the car just feels so much smoother to control.

Thanks a lot for sharing.

Bongokongo, that little tip you shared about the steering ratio, that helped a lot too.

Thanks a lot!!!

GAT_Montana
22-07-2015, 17:54
Men...this settings are that good....should be standard!

bataleon
24-07-2015, 08:59
Men...this settings are that good....should be standard!

+1!

Jakob
25-07-2015, 04:44
I'm using JonnyD's settings, with the steering sensitivity bumped up, braking & gas at 100%. I've messed around with the alignment but I've found that going down long straights, the car always goes to the left a bit, not a big deal, but if anybody can give me se tips on how to get a proper alignment done that would be awesome. I almost always drive the Audi GT3

thrasherxxx
27-07-2015, 07:48
I can't set those precise values, the step to change them is by 6... [so I can get maybe a 74, not a 75, and a 48 and not a 50...]

Am I the only one with this issue? Please help.

Deadzone
27-07-2015, 08:04
I can't set those precise values, the step to change them is by 6... [so I can get maybe a 74, not a 75, and a 48 and not a 50...]

Am I the only one with this issue? Please help.

Sounds like you got a faulty copy of the game, I would take it back to the store you bought it from.

Photonmonkey
27-07-2015, 18:53
Sounds like you got a faulty copy of the game, I would take it back to the store you bought it from.

Err, I have exactly the same issue. What's with this increments they seem pretty weird?

MacColl
29-07-2015, 03:03
I have the same increment issue when changing controller configuration. I am utterly fed up having had the fuse go on the plug for the PS4 at the end of a race (never ever happened to me with any Playstation!) which resulted in corrupting all data for Project Cars and having to start from scratch. Was trying to Google search what settings I had from the likes of here and GT Planet and found this increment issue!. I've decided to completely delete all updates and start again just leaving it in sleep mode to update.

In all my years of gaming which dates back to loading cassettes onto ZX Spectrums and Commodores back in the 80's I have never had such a frustrating buggy unstable game experience. I've loved and loathed this game in the last few weeks of playing. Please someone tell me whats going on?? Is this down to the last Patch?

hankolerd
29-07-2015, 21:01
I just got the game last week for PS4 and installed all the latest patches and content before playing it at all (played it on PC in the past with DS3). I also think it is weird that all dials move in increments of 6 instead of 5, but more than that I am just having trouble getting a nice consistent feel using the DS4. I set it up with dead zones at 0, steering sensitivity 12, throttle/brake sensitivity 0, speed sensitivity and controller filtering around 50, and it worked ok for carts. But then drove the Ruf 911, and while it was mostly ok, almost any attempt to correct oversteer lead to snap oversteer. I find if I put controller filtering or speed sensitivity any higher than 50 though that the karts turning radius increases substantially, enough that it is difficult to win races as you have to go a gear lower in most corners in order to make them without running wide. I am having a trouble finding a nice balance between smooth steering and a good turning radius. Anyway to smooth out the steering while retaining the full lock-to-lock turning capabilities?

thrasherxxx
30-07-2015, 10:16

;) ahha nope, it's annoying bug of the 2.0 version.

MacColl
14-08-2015, 22:58
So now with patch 3.0 the sliders are adjustable in increments of 1:) I lost my original settings I had in increments of 5 which couldn't be returned to after patch 2.0. I haven't played since loosing all my data and have basically started again.

So what would people advise now for the DS4 settings now the sliders work fully? which includes which mode?

Thanks.

cfiore99
15-08-2015, 00:51
So now with patch 3.0 the sliders are adjustable in increments of 1:) I lost my original settings I had in increments of 5 which couldn't be returned to after patch 2.0. I haven't played since loosing all my data and have basically started again.

So what would people advise now for the DS4 settings now the sliders work fully? which includes which mode?

Thanks.

I have the same question, shelved it after 2.0. Need settings for the DS4.

Chim Chim
22-08-2015, 15:22
Same maddening experience with 3.0 and DS4.

Each session is a exercise in frustration. Just when you've got the sliders for a semi-satisfying experience you switch cars and it all goes out the window. I'm not talking about the sliders moving or resetting, you have to rework the controller inputs for the car to act like a car.

I've tried "tuning" a couple of cars but imho it's just not worth it. The foundation is broken so tuning is kind of a moot point, you are tuning to fight the game, not the track.

redrick
01-09-2015, 05:54
If you use the right stick up for acceleration and down for braking (and many do as it was the default for GT6) you cannot adjust the controller configuration for Throttle and Brakes differently. You can set them any way you want but as soon as you back out of the controller config screen either the brake deadzone and sensitivity will change to match the throttle numbers or vice versa. This continues post patch 3.

fideco
02-09-2015, 11:44

Steering Deadzone - 0
Steering Sensitivity - 0
Throttle Deadzone - 0
Brake Deadzone - 0
Brake Sensitivity - 25
Clutch Deadzone - 0
Clutch Sensitivity - 25
Force Feedback - 100
RPM/Gear Display Yes

Advanced - On
Apply Soft Steering - On

Thanks Johnny, you did my day:)

Jever
02-09-2015, 21:21
Hei Johnny

In speed sensitevity do you adjudant up og Down, with lets sky lmp1/lmp2/ formula a?

hankolerd
21-09-2015, 15:34
I am using Johnny's settings as well, they are the best I have found so far. I did have to turn speed sensitivity down to ~60 though, otherwise I find the turning radius is too great, and the AI players will always carry more speed through high-speed corners than I can.

shotgunchevvy
23-09-2015, 19:20
Help, i am trying to set my ps4 controller so i can use manual gears but i keep getting " assign all features to buttons" message but there is not enough buttons:confused:

madmax2069
23-09-2015, 19:29
Heres what I have my buttons mapped as
R1 = look back
L1 = e-brake
L2 = brake
R2 = throttle
L3 = DRS
R3 = KERS
Circle = shift up
Square = shift down
X = clutch
Triangle = change view
D-pad is unchanged
Touchpad is unchanged
left and right thumbsticks left unchanged

I did assign swipe left and right on the touchpad for engine start.

Some functions are mandatory to assign to a button regardless if you use said function or not.

Umer Ahmad
23-09-2015, 19:33
moved

Raptor 660
27-09-2015, 14:37

Steering Deadzone - 0
Steering Sensitivity - 0
Throttle Deadzone - 0
Brake Deadzone - 0
Brake Sensitivity - 25
Clutch Deadzone - 0
Clutch Sensitivity - 25
Force Feedback - 100
RPM/Gear Display Yes

Advanced - On
Apply Soft Steering - On

I really like those settings!
I tried pcars for the first time last night, and i really felt as if i was fighting the car instead of driving it. But now it's really a joy race
Thanks for posting them!

Jwa
07-10-2015, 15:39
been tweaking for weeks now. finally got to maybe some out there settings that are the smoothest I've tried by far.
steering deadzone-5
steering sensitivity-0
throttle deadzone-0
throttle sensitivity-0
brake deadzone-0
brake sensitivity-75
speed sensitivity-85
controller filtering-98
input mode-3
advanced-on
soft steering-on
opposite lock-on
don't laugh til you try it. then you can laugh if need be. :) does work for me though.

sorensen39
09-10-2015, 08:26
Hi all

Is there an article somewhere that explains what all the different steering adjustments actually do? I have been fiddling around with it sinced launch day and have never really been happy with the controls.

Johnny's settings seem to work OK, but for my driving style I would love to be able to figure it out myself while knowing how speed sensitivity etc effects things!

thanks!

Figuur84
09-10-2015, 10:02
Hello,

I'm having trouble with the tyre wear when driving with the controller. During online racing, I noticed that the tyre wear is a lot more then the people who are driving a steering wheel. I have tried to put the steering sensitivity down
even below 50 (normally about 62), but that puts my laptimes down, and the tyre wear just a little bit better. For example, with the Aston Martin V8 GT4, tyre wear on real on Brno, I can do about 10 laps, where the guys with a steering wheel can easily do 17-18 laps. Does anyone have tips? Is it just my driving style? Controller settings (it can't be car setup, I drove same setup as one of the 'wheel' guys)? Or is it just the fact that it is harder to steer 'more precise' with the controller vs steering wheel?

Alberto-capo
18-10-2015, 07:00
Even tho this is a Xbox controller setup it's really indepth and kinda explains what most of the tuning will result in.
Great explained !

DarrenMcMS
18-10-2015, 15:18
Can't find a suitable motion control setting.
Tampering for ages but the motion seems to lag (tilt of the ds4 to what is viewed on screen)and also in slow corners the carts(which I'm starting with in career mode),steer like a bus.
Googled for answers but no dice atm.
Spent 2 hours trial and error myself with diffferent settings but the motion seems like a gimmick so far ,not very usable.

madmax2069
18-10-2015, 23:21
Can't find a suitable motion control setting.
Tampering for ages but the motion seems to lag (tilt of the ds4 to what is viewed on screen)and also in slow corners the carts(which I'm starting with in career mode),steer like a bus.
Googled for answers but no dice atm.
Spent 2 hours trial and error myself with diffferent settings but the motion seems like a gimmick so far ,not very usable.

Did you try changing the controller mode to 2 and lower the speed sensitivity ?

DarrenMcMS
19-10-2015, 08:00
Yes.
Will stick with the stick as the motion sensor I can't seem to get right.Very hard in tight slow corners.
P.S. found a nice setting from Dubs on you tube and enjoying the game greatly now.
I shot from the hip a bit in saying the motion control was a gimmick,I probably need more time to practice that mode before making such statements.
Peace.

Montoya86
27-10-2015, 06:24
Thanks for some great DS4 setups.
But still didn't find one with steering behavior like in GT6 (and 5 ofc).
There was so "natural" and precise following steering way.

David McKenna
18-12-2015, 12:24
I've tried several setups mentioned in this thread, but have yet to find a setup i'm comfortable with. The game is awesome, but to me still feels like Shift 2 to drive.

smokozuna
31-12-2015, 19:44

Steering Deadzone - 0
Steering Sensitivity - 0
Throttle Deadzone - 0
Brake Deadzone - 0
Brake Sensitivity - 25
Clutch Deadzone - 0
Clutch Sensitivity - 25
Force Feedback - 100
RPM/Gear Display Yes

Advanced - On
Apply Soft Steering - On

thanks for this johnny. i changed it a little though. i do not think the controller input mode makes any difference seeing as we are changing all the settings anyway. i tried 2 and 3 and saw no difference after making all the changes we did. what made a massive difference for me were the Speed Sensitivity and Controller Filter Sensitivity settings. I can't thank you enough for those settings.

Steering Deadzone - 0
Steering Sensitivity - 0
Throttle Deadzone - 0
Throttle Sensitivity - 0
Brake Deadzone - 0
Brake Sensitivity - 0
Clutch Deadzone - 0
Clutch Sensitivity - 0
Speed Sensitivity - 75
Force Feedback - 100
RPM/Gear Display Yes

Advanced - On
Apply Soft Steering - On
Apply Visual Filtering - On

bpolits
02-01-2016, 23:04
Hello & SORRY! so totally a nube... and a FOG as well

and new to the ps4

someone please help and tell me what to do to get to the place where I can adjust the dualshock controller. I see everybody's setups etc but nowhere can i find how to get tot the place to set the settings. please help thanks !

Sik180sx
05-01-2016, 00:19
I been trying set-up my mates controller on his newly purchased copy of p-cars on ps4,myself being a wheel user(which is it's own world of hoplessness,frustration and immense satisfaction when you get it right :) )my point being,i got to tweak until it's perfect,sometimes breaking things to a point of a complete controller reset.Q

So i got curious,especially considering how sensitive it still is with the steering sensitivity on zero,so i cranked it to 100,and guess what?So much better to drive thats what!! I'm thinking maybe this slider is broken and works backwards,can some other pad users possibly try this and tell me what you think? Cheers guys.

smokozuna
07-01-2016, 15:46
I been trying set-up my mates controller on his newly purchased copy of p-cars on ps4,myself being a wheel user(which is it's own world of hoplessness,frustration and immense satisfaction when you get it right :) )my point being,i got to tweak until it's perfect,sometimes breaking things to a point of a complete controller reset.Q

So i got curious,especially considering how sensitive it still is with the steering sensitivity on zero,so i cranked it to 100,and guess what?So much better to drive thats what!! I'm thinking maybe this slider is broken and works backwards,can some other pad users possibly try this and tell me what you think? Cheers guys.

i disagree, with steering sensitivity @ 100 the cars are hypersensitive and i do not like that.

hankolerd
04-04-2016, 21:02
So, I have been at this for a couple of years now off and on, but still haven't found settings that I am happy with. I was pretty happy with Johnny's settings, but found that I lost too much full-lock steering angle. Now I am at basically all 0's for DZ/sensitivity, with speed sensitivity and filtering sensitivity ~20-25.

The problem I have is I still can't get enough steering angle at full lock. I have been running the e30 M3 at Motorsport Arena National at 90 AI. The AI seems to have no problem running 1:07's, but I am having trouble breaking under 1:10's. It seems in the high speed corners they always are able to carry more speed without running wide. This is without steering or traction aids, but with ABS on. If anyone is able to break into the 1:07's with a DS4 can you please post your settings? I feel like once I get a setting that allows me to compete with the AI at 90 I will enjoy this game much more.

redrick
09-04-2016, 01:56
So, I have been at this for a couple of years now off and on, but still haven't found settings that I am happy with. I was pretty happy with Johnny's settings, but found that I lost too much full-lock steering angle. Now I am at basically all 0's for DZ/sensitivity, with speed sensitivity and filtering sensitivity ~20-25.

The problem I have is I still can't get enough steering angle at full lock. I have been running the e30 M3 at Motorsport Arena National at 90 AI. The AI seems to have no problem running 1:07's, but I am having trouble breaking under 1:10's. It seems in the high speed corners they always are able to carry more speed without running wide. This is without steering or traction aids, but with ABS on. If anyone is able to break into the 1:07's with a DS4 can you please post your settings? I feel like once I get a setting that allows me to compete with the AI at 90 I will enjoy this game much more.

Have you tried adjusting the Steering Ratio on the car's setup?

hankolerd
11-04-2016, 20:15
Have you tried adjusting the Steering Ratio on the car's setup?

I have, but that just makes the car more sensitive to turn-in, it doesn't seem to change the mid-corner grip once the car is loaded up. The AI just seems to be able to carry a few mph more through the corners once the car hits full lock.

Here is a video I made (I realize I have a lot of room for improvements). Controller setting #2, with steering/throttle/brake all at 0. Speed sensitivity at 25, and controller filtering at 65. Soft Steering and Visual Filtering On. Car is on default settings, except steering lock changed to 12.1:1

https://youtu.be/nevpwjIUIXA

My best is a 1:10.3 vs the AI running 1:06.9.

If anyone is able to get in to the 1:07's with a DS4, I would be very curious to know what settings you are using. Basically, I am not sure if I need to just keep practicing with these settings, or if there are better settings to use that will make it easier to extract more performance from the car. Most of my racing experience is from GT, and most of that on a DS3. I did have a Logitech G27 I used for GT Academy (was in the top 25 in the US), but got rid of it when I got a PS4. I am sure once I get a wheel for the PS4 I will be much happier with this game, but am finding it a bit frustrating with the way it drives with a DS4. During the backing phase I ran the game on a old MacBook Pro with the G27, and it seemed the car responded better, but it could only run at ~20fps, which didn't lend to a good experience.

nac82
16-04-2016, 14:43
I have, but that just makes the car more sensitive to turn-in, it doesn't seem to change the mid-corner grip once the car is loaded up. The AI just seems to be able to carry a few mph more through the corners once the car hits full lock.

Here is a video I made (I realize I have a lot of room for improvements). Controller setting #2, with steering/throttle/brake all at 0. Speed sensitivity at 25, and controller filtering at 65. Soft Steering and Visual Filtering On. Car is on default settings, except steering lock changed to 12.1:1

If anyone is able to get in to the 1:07's with a DS4, I would be very curious to know what settings you are using. Basically, I am not sure if I need to just keep practicing with these settings, or if there are better settings to use that will make it easier to extract more performance from the car. Most of my racing experience is from GT, and most of that on a DS3. I did have a Logitech G27 I used for GT Academy (was in the top 25 in the US), but got rid of it when I got a PS4. I am sure once I get a wheel for the PS4 I will be much happier with this game, but am finding it a bit frustrating with the way it drives with a DS4. During the backing phase I ran the game on a old MacBook Pro with the G27, and it seemed the car responded better, but it could only run at ~20fps, which didn't lend to a good experience.

I've the same problem, the steering lock is not good enough to take some fast corners... Hope that SMS will correct that...

CarlosGT3
17-05-2016, 14:42
Hey there! I'm new around here, been trying that car around that track after reading your post and the AI seem waaaay too fast, even in difficulties lower than 90. Inconsistencies, I guess.

After a while I could only manage a 1:09,8 but anyway, it's crazy to run in quali with sooooo much fuel on-board. As for your video, you seem to be fighting the car a lot, struggling to even keep it on a straight line. Try a higher controller filtering sensitivity and/or dialling out some of the car’s oversteer, via tuning it to your liking (but I personally don't think I could ever make a 1:06,9 in that track with it!)

RigsXF73
17-07-2016, 22:22
So......

I got pi55ed off with the game when it came out due to the unrealistic physics when playing against bots. A rub and you are sent spinning.

Got a wheel and pedals set up.

Thought I would the game a go again after nearly a year away, thinking updates would have cured all the glitches that came up straight after release - how wrong was I?

Just spent 8 weeks offshore, getting to know the layout of Nurburgring on PS3 and GT5.

Why is there a massive 2-3 seconds lag between using PS4 controller throttle and brake?

Really pi55ed at this now. Spent good money, and even left the game so the Devs could sort all the glitches. This makes the sim/game even more unplayable/undriveable.

RigsXF73
23-07-2016, 16:23
Dragged the wheel and pedal set-up from the cupboard. Happy days are here again.

fatback
04-10-2016, 16:01
i tried many of these settings and would still struggle to keep control of the cars even on a straight, or exiting a corner at any speed. was about to give up on this game, and as a last resort i set steering sensitivity to 95. i found it so much better. which is strange because i cant recall seeing that setting so high on other peoples settings. (it seems a hogh setting reduces sensitivity of steering).
if u havent found a settings suggestion that has worked for you so far just try turning that one setting up and see if it helps... i did try it at 100 but found it better backed off to 95

snakier5114
15-10-2016, 12:53
this is my pad setup and for some reason doesent let me play with that configuration any help please this is my configuration i really need help in this matter

this is my settings anyone could help please?

crosshair up = IGNITION

crosshair down= START ENGINE

crosshair right= right steer

crosshair left= left steer

R3 push down= KERS

L3 push down= DRS

R3 DOWN= INCREASE BRAKE BIAS

R3 UP =REQUEST PIT STOP

R3 RIGHT=HEAD LIGHTS

R3 LEFT = WINDSCREEN WIPPERS

L3 RIGHT= DECREASE BRAKE BIAS

L3 LEFT= CICLE CAMERA

L3 DOWN =DECREASE FRONT ANTI ROLL BARS

L3 UP =INCREASE FRONT ANTI ROLL BARS

R2 = GEAR UP

L2= DECREASE REAR ANTI ROLL BARS

R1= GEAR DOWN

L1= INCREASE REAR ANTI ROLL BARS

TOUCH PAD= AUTOMATIC CLUTCH

X BUTTON= ACCELERATOR

SQUARE BUTTON= BRAKE

CIRCLE BUTTON = HAND BRAKE

TRIANGLE BUTTON = CLUTCH

Bealdor
17-10-2016, 08:35
Did you assign a button to the "Pause" function?
Not sure if "Reset Car" is mandatory but you could try this out too.

Edit: "Look behind" seems to be mandatory too.

Edit2: If you'Re still having issues, try this workaround (http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?22073-Mandatory-keys-on-controllers&p=884829#post884829).

beep
13-02-2017, 15:59
None of the settings given here are playable. It's either too slow or too sensitive. DriveClub is the best example how it should be done. There are ZERO settings for DS4 and it controls/plays great especially with motion control enabled.

hkraft300
13-02-2017, 23:23
None of the settings given here are playable. It's either too slow or too sensitive. DriveClub is the best example how it should be done. ...

For you.
Nice of you to shit on everyone here trying to help others and sharing their settings.

Bsing
14-02-2017, 01:49
Still trying to share my settings. But still figuring things out. When I getting it to the point it works right, I'll post my settings.

beep
14-02-2017, 08:55
For you.
Nice of you to shit on everyone here trying to help others and sharing their settings.

I'm not shitting on everyone. On contrary I'm grateful everyone here is trying to help to make this game playable. What I wanted to say was that FOR ME this game was not designed to be played with DS4 controller. Sorry for misunderstanding.

beep
16-02-2017, 16:01
I've worked out some new settings which suit me the best. I've tried this at Bathurst in an old Mercedes AMG.
I'm not using stick for steering as it feels too limited in range and precision.
My settings for DS4 motion controller are:

all deadzones – 0
steering sensitivity – 50
brake and throttle sensitivity – 30
speed sensitivity – 60
filtering – 10
Soft steering dampening ON
Visual filter ON

They feel the closest to the feel of controller in DC or LFS

smokozuna
25-05-2017, 15:50
if you are looking for forza type handling try these settings because they are smooth and predictable.

Steering Deadzone - 0
Steering Sensitivity - 0
Throttle Deadzone - 0
Throttle Sensitivity - 0
Brake Deadzone - 0
Brake Sensitivity - 0
Clutch Deadzone - 0
Clutch Sensitivity - 0
Speed Sensitivity - 75
Force Feedback - 100
RPM/Gear Display Yes

Advanced - Off

these are quick and easy settings that will work with any car. i do want to note i have rumble turned off on my controller in the dash settings because i am not fond of it in any game.

smokozuna
27-05-2017, 01:36

try what this guy said. by doing what this guy said allows you to turn at speed.

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?21864-Dualshock-4-Controller-Settings-Problems-amp-Solutions&p=956655&viewfull=1#post956655

smokozuna
28-05-2017, 03:05
even better is Default Mode 3 with Steering Sensitivity 0 and Steering Deadzone 10, all other controller settings at default.

TR 009
28-05-2017, 07:58
Make sure to have 0 for controller filtering sensitivity, causes lag

hkraft300
28-05-2017, 14:29
Make sure to have 0 for controller filtering sensitivity, causes lag

Controller filtering causes lag.
But it stabilises.
I had it ~35 and was still twitchy, but sharp enough for my liking. Low/minimal filtering is good if you are accurate and stable with gamepad steering with the thumbstick L3/R3. Increase it if you flick.

smokozuna
01-06-2017, 14:50
even better is Default Mode 3 with Steering Sensitivity 0 and Steering Deadzone 10, all other controller settings at default.

made small change. Default Mode 3 with Steering Sensitivity 0 and Steering Deadzone 13, all other controller settings at default. the reason for having some deadzone is to keep the steering smooth and not twitchy.

i tried mode 1 and mode 2 and they are vastly different than mode 3 even when setting everything up identically to mode 3 the cars will drive vastly different.

ricardofae
18-07-2017, 16:44
I need a controller setting for a race with Aston Martin GT3, and the tire wear will be 5x. Need a tire-saving setup. Can someone help me? Thanks.

hkraft300
18-07-2017, 23:14
Try mode 3
Steering 20
Filtering 50
Speed 50.

ImNickson
25-08-2017, 12:25
I'm having an issue with throttle and brake being either max or off. I have them mapped to R2 and L2. I can't even hold revs. I'm either idling or maxed out with the slightest push of R2. Any ideas would be appreciated.

I'm using a DS4 on PC.

JasperBowels
25-11-2017, 14:26
Hi.
When I steering using motion sensor in Dual Shock 4, I experience high and visible input lag which makes driving very unprecise. No input lag in GT Sport and DriveClub using same motion sensor steering method. I use low input lag display, Damping = 0, Steering Deadzone = 0. Could anybody confirm that, please? Any workaround?

Thank you.

GSquared
04-12-2017, 10:41
Good morning all, new on Pcars, just wanted to have a taste of it before getting the Pcars2.
Just got a second hand game, looks stunning !
I have a question and I need your help, I can't change the Dual shock setup, too many things to be changed for not enough buttons !
Can someone also advise me on an "average" setup for the cars ?
Thanks for your help all !

GSquared
05-12-2017, 23:41
Hi Bealdor

Can you help me on this issue I have with the setup of the Dual Schock for my PS4 ?
I'd like to change the controls and use X for accelerating, Squared for braking, etc... But unfortunately there are too many things to change to confirm the setup on the game, but not enough buttons on the controller...
Also, is there a way to get an "average" setup for most of the cars so I can have an easy and enjoyable game ?
Thanks in advance for your help