PDA

View Full Version : Setting up a gamepad

Gooseone
07-05-2015, 23:11
As with all options in Project Cars, there are many when it concerns using a gamepad, i'll try to explain a few.

Stick input is handled in different ways with the input system of Project CARS, input speed can vary between

Simply steering with the stick (Steering)
Moving the stick from side to side (Crossover)
Releasing the stick (Center)

The Crossover is there mainly to speed up the steering so that fast corrections can be made, it can potentially be cumbersome if there is tendency to over correct.
In case you find yourself correcting / swerving too much, just releasing the stick can be of use.
In the advanced options there is also an opposite lock help; this setting applies the Crossover speed in grip loss situations and it also gives you full steering lock.
If you are prone to correct too much, i would advice to turn this setting off.

There are 3 input modes and they behave a bit differently, even when all the menu options are set the same.
Atm, mode 1 has a different deadzone implementation, it can be set with a fairly high deadzone while mode 2 and 3 are best set according to how firm your analogue stick is.
(Less deadzone with a new pad, more with an old one, probably different between Xbox One and PS4 etc.)

You will have to experiment between the modes to see which steering speeds (and standard adjustable settings) you prefer.

The steering sensitivity concerns the linearity of the analogue stick, the more sensitivity you set, the curve will become more linear from the center.
Setting a value of 0 will make it most gradual from the center. This curve can be further modified by using the car setup options.
Every car has it's own (real) steering lock yet the steering ratio can be tuned to preference, this could theoretically make the sensitivity curve more gradual.
The setting is under the 'Alignment' tab and can be set to 'slowest' (all the way to the right) without much issues when using a gamepad.

Throttle and brake work in a similar fashion when it concerns deadzones and sensitivity.

Speed sensitivity reduces your steering lock at a certain speed, making you able to move the analogue stick fully to the side without disastrous results (usually).
You will have to find a compromise between being able to give full analogue stick input and being able to make a turn (at speed off course).
If you use a cockpit view with a visible wheel i'd suggest to try and use lower speed sensitivity and use the steering wheel to gauge the amount of input you need to give.
Naturally, because Project CARS is an advanced simulator there are also visible cues and cues from the FFB to gauge your driving :).

(Currently, using an Xbox One controller on the PC can cause the FFB to become distorted causing lag, stutters etc;it's a know issue and being worked on.
Setting Force Feedback to 0 is a temporary solution.)

There is also a 'Controller Filtering Sensitivity' setting which filters out a certain part of what you're doing with the analogue stick.
Setting this to 100 does not filter out all of your inputs yet at that point inputs will have become a bit unresponsive, settings up to 85 should still leave some fidelity.
'Soft Steering Dampening' is there to smooth out / dampen the input while retaining fidelity although a certain sense of "directness" can be lost.

It appears that there are very different driving styles when using a pad; the Forza/GT chase style driving with a lot of speed sensitivity,
the 'glued thumb' style people who prefer direct control (and of which i wonder how their thumb doesn't cramp up), people who tap the analogue stick etc.
This makes for many different preferences to cater to and it can make it difficult at times to gather what people expect when they have issues with the controls,
there's a lot of adjustability but not everything is possible.

bubbleguuum
08-05-2015, 00:19
Excellent info, thanks.

I experimented many different settings for a Xbox One controller (connected to a PC) and none is 100% satisfying for the steering.
It can get close but never perfect. My main gripe is that it seems there is no way to have the steering
100% predictable depending on speed. At some speeds, steering can be operated precisely, at some others
a very small change in steering input make the car steer by a huge sudden amount (not exactly easy to describe in words).
I've yet to find a real car that do that when you turn the wheel.

When you think that a game like Forza Horizon 2 gets it totally right with 0 settings...

Gooseone
08-05-2015, 10:34
Well, although i also find other games a bit more manageable from the get go, an analogue stick is just not a wheel and we need at least 'some' assists to make it work.
(i.e. smoothing the input speed and not having the stick emulate wheel movement 1 to 1).

What are your current settings?

Murray943
08-05-2015, 11:01
i find that adjusting the sensitivity doesn't help, i am pretty used to the forza controls. tbh i just stuck with it and only now i am starting to getting used to it, all of these people complaining is just a sign of frustration of not being able to start playing and dominate it. :cool:#
also i find games like the forza's too simplistic in their handling as just about everything can be controlled, there's not unpredictability

NIN
08-05-2015, 11:10
But is there any way to set the steering speed, speed of the stick to 100% ??? To be the same speed of my hand ? I try to find this from the release. That lag, that steering speed of the steering wheel is to slow.

In old builds, I enter in a developer menu and enable old dampening. After that, speed of the wheel was the same speed of my manual movement. How to that in the final game ?

Pls help, I just cant play with this slow steering.

Gooseone
08-05-2015, 11:11
i find that adjusting the sensitivity doesn't help, i am pretty used to the forza controls. tbh i just stuck with it and only now i am starting to getting used to it, all of these people complaining is just a sign of frustration of not being able to start playing and dominate it. :cool:#
also i find games like the forza's too simplistic in their handling as just about everything can be controlled, there's not unpredictability

You can also try to adjust steering ratio to slowest in the car setup screen under the alignment tab to help improve sensitivity.
And indeed this game does try to give you control over advanced physics and an advanced tire model in real time, which is different from just writing controller code... i guess.
(I am not that knowledgeable about the inner workings actually and i do not think the 'sim' banner should be used as an excuse refrain from making the game manageable with a pad).

shamblemonkee
08-05-2015, 11:14
undefined

I've found htese settings useful when trialing the XB1 pad on PC

Steering Deadzone : 15

Steering Sensitivity : 0

Throttle Deadzone : 0

Throttle Sensitivity : 30

Brake Deadzone : 13

Brake Sensitivity : 15

Clutch Deadzone : 0

Clutch Sensitivity : 45

Speed Sensitivity : 75

Controller Filtering Sensitivity : 50

Force Feedback : 80

Controller Input Mode : 3

Advanced : OFF

Gooseone
08-05-2015, 11:19
But is there any way to set the steering speed, speed of the stick to 100% ??? To be the same speed of my hand ? I try to find this from the release. That lag, that steering speed of the steering wheel is to slow.

In old builds, I enter in a developer menu and enable old dampening. After that, speed of the wheel was the same speed of my manual movement. How to that in the final game ?

Pls help, I just cant play with this slow steering.

Unfortunately that's not possible atm, maybe one of the presets will be adjusted in the future to give more direct control as you mention.
For now, you'll have to make due with the adjustability which is currently present.

I find mode 2 is quite balanced between the different steering speeds, you could try setting steering ratio to fastest in the car setup screen to try and make it faster / more direct.
Disabling soft steering might also give you a sense of more direct control, i could suggest setting more steering sensitivity but it unfortunately becomes a bit too twitchy around the center quite easily.
Maybe increasing sensitivity while also increasing deadzone and controller filtering might help.

Although i personally don't like it you could also try and adjust mode 1, it's quite fast, keep in mind the deadzone implementation is a bit different then the other modes.

Gooseone
08-05-2015, 11:22
undefined

I've found htese settings useful when trialing the XB1 pad on PC

Steering Deadzone : 15

Brake Deadzone : 13

Brake Sensitivity : 15

Controller Input Mode : 3

If sensitivity is perceived to be too much do make sure that soft steering is enabled in the advanced options and opposite lock help disabled.

bubbleguuum
08-05-2015, 11:41
Currently I'm using the setup below (using the Xbox One controller). Still experimenting, which is a mini game on its own, although quickly exhausting...
The only aid I have enabled is 'Stability control'. It really helps with a pad although I suppose it is down
to personal preference.

Steering Deadzone : 0
Steering Sensitivity : 5
Speed Sensitivity : 65
Controller Filtering Sensitivity : 0
Controller Input Mode : 2
FFB: 0 (due to the bug highlighted in first post)

NIN
08-05-2015, 11:42
Unfortunately that's not possible atm, maybe one of the presets will be adjusted in the future to give more direct control as you mention.
For now, you'll have to make due with the adjustability which is currently present.

I find mode 2 is quite balanced between the different steering speeds, you could try setting steering ratio to fastest in the car setup screen to try and make it faster / more direct.
Disabling soft steering might also give you a sense of more direct control, i could suggest setting more steering sensitivity but it unfortunately becomes a bit too twitchy around the center quite easily.
Maybe increasing sensitivity while also increasing deadzone and controller filtering might help.

Although i personally don't like it you could also try and adjust mode 1, it's quite fast, keep in mind the deadzone implementation is a bit different then the other modes.

Hmm.. but is there any way to open developer menu, debug menu to enable old dampeningm? Thisone:

http://pokit.org/get/img/bfa29d2d23895d92a60303f28264eb8c.jpg

Wen you apply this, you get same speed of the wheel as is your hand.

Bealdor
08-05-2015, 11:46
Currently I'm using the setup below. Still experimenting, which is a mini game on its own, although quickly exhausting...
The only aid I have enabled is 'Stability control'. It really helps with a pad although I suppose it is down
to personal preference.

Steering Sensitivity : 5
Speed Sensitivity : 65
Controller Filtering Sensitivity : 0
FFB: 0 (due to the bug highlighted in first post)

Please add the device you're using to your post. :)

Gooseone
08-05-2015, 11:48
Hmm.. but is there any way to open developer menu, debug menu to enable old dampeningm? Thisone:

Wen you apply this, you get same speed of the wheel as is your hand.

Nope the developer menu isn't there anymore and , seeing the options which are present without that additional menu, i can see why ;).
(And i miss it also, lol ;)).

Photato
08-05-2015, 12:25
I know what you mean, bubbleguuum.
The car is barely controllable in extreme situations. I can't 'change lanes' without being extremely delicate with the steering or else I'll end up in the wall. Steering doesn't feel linear... I turn to the right and the car immediately changes its' direction about 10-15° (with tires screeching) - it almost feels digital and not analogue. It doesn't matter what setup I try, I feel everything needed to fully turn the car is within 20% of the stick's range. Meaning, I can't fineadjust my line, it's impossible. There's a minimal line where the car just turns very slightly and then suddenly it's hell (and I mean suddenly, like steering angle 3° to 12° on the next value from the analogue stick).
I'd like to have 50% of the stick's range for a small angle, so that I can steer precise through mild, fast corners and only the rest of it for harder corners.

This problem isn't new. It was exactly the same in Shift 2, making it very frustrating to drive at all.
I don't have these problems in AC or R3E. AC lets me decide how strong the signal is filtered (not just IF it is filtered), so very very mildly makes the controls less twitchy but still lets me react very quickly and delicate, enabling me to save the car most of the times and drive smoothly through any kind of corner. The only way to drive smoothly in pC is by dampening the hell out of the signal and thereby making the car unrepsonsive.

The visuals don't align with the steering and the car aswell. I turned visual wheel filtering off, but while the wheel turns slowly (dampened), the car already drives a weird angle, while I didn't do anything harsh with the controller. So the car doesn't do what I expect it to do and the virtual wheel turns according to none of both options. Basically, I have no idea what anything (myself included) is doing.

In that state, with a gamepad, pC is probably the worst racing game I have ever played. It is just frustrating and no fun at all to screech through every corner and not being able to drive a fine line.

Naturally, because Project CARS is an advanced simulator there are also visible cues and cues from the FFB to gauge your driving :).

Where exactly are the FFB cues? I use a X360 pad, but I gues it shouldn't behave differently to a XOne pad. The only FFB I get is from shifting and when driving over kerbs. I expected to get something from losing grip, drifting around, but so far FFB is just something I try to avoid (as kerbs usally pull me into some wall with that steering).

Gooseone
08-05-2015, 12:47
Uhm, i am using an Xb1 pad, with which the FFB is currently a bit borked and my previous experience with a regular Xbox 360 pad was good concerning FFB.
I've just tested and there is indeed lacking FFB, i'll try to see if this is a known issue.

Concerning your other complaints, i do agree to an extent that it's quite twitchy around center. For now, could you could try mode1 with deadzone at 48 and see if it improves for you?

MonkeyCH
08-05-2015, 12:50
The ONE controller settings in this game are messed up. The PS4 controller behaves much different than the ONE controller. I have noticed, that the stick is only used about 50% of its distance to get a full left/right steering. So 50% of the already small range of the sticks is even more reduced to only 50% of its possible range. I have not found a setting to change this behavior. So my conclusion is, that this game has for 100% sure a faulty ONE controller support, which makes playing this game near impossible as of the much to fast full left/right steering. As a result of this, we get much to simple unnatural rotation and the car breaks out and cant be held on the street anymore.

All the posted settings to not help on slow curves. There is no setting which will help here to reduce this behaviour. So please fix this isue ASAP!!!! This game makes no fun as it is yet.

(sorry for my bad englisch)

PuntNL
08-05-2015, 12:51
Great explanation in the OP! Thanks!
After reading I switched to the cockpit mode where the steering wheel is visible and that is golden! I would advise everyone using a gamepad to do that, it gives you so much more feedback about what is happening with the car. Has helped me enormous.

Currently in the process of testing some slider by doing some laps on 100 and some on 0 to get a good feel of what they do. Does anyone know what Clutch is supposed to do/impact (haven't tested that one yet).

Still making constant adjustments, but this is where its at now (Using a PS4 and DS4)

Controller Input Mode - 2 (Change first)

Steering Deadzone - 10
Steering Sensitivity - 10
Throttle Deadzone - 10
Throttle Sensitivity - 40
Brake Deadzone - 10
Brake Sensitivity - 30
Clutch Deadzone - 10
Clutch Sensitivity - 45
Speed Sensitivity - 65
Controller Filtering Sensitivity - 35
Force Feedback - 100
RPM/Gear Display Yes

Controller Input Mode - 2
Advanced - On
Apply Soft Steering - On
Apply Visual Filtering - Off
Apply Opposite Lock Help - Off

bubbleguuum
08-05-2015, 12:53
I'd like to have 50% of the stick's range for a small angle, so that I can steer precise through mild, fast corners and only the rest of it for harder corners.

That's exactly the core of the issue: finding controller settings that allow precise steering at all speeds. Generally, steering can be quite precise at some of fast, medium and slow speeds, but not all of them at the same time. And it has nothing to do with car setups (well, maybe it does for fine tuning, but one should have confidence in steering regardless of the car setup).

With that goal in mind, I found a new controller setup that I'm much more happy with than the first one I posted (still for the Xbox One Controller connected to a PC).
Tested on Hockenheim GP and Nordschleife Stage 1, using the Aston Martin V8, stock car setup, using hood or bumper cameras, fov 85:

Steering Sensitivity : 15
Speed Sensitivity : 50
Controller Filtering Sensitivity : 40
FFB: 0
Soft Steering Dampening: ON

Stability Control: YES

This setup is not extremely far from the 'Controller Input Mode 2' default.
Which makes me think that to find a good setup, it is a good idea to start from this default, modifying one setting at a time
until finding a sweet spot.

Lee van Davo
08-05-2015, 13:01
Thats the thing when you say forza 2 gets it totally right with no settings...why cant this?

Dmny
08-05-2015, 14:00
My settings got a lot of positive feedback, so I'll post them here as well. Xbox 360 controller, should be the same with the One controller.

Mode 3
Throttle Deadzone: 0%
Throttle Sensitivity: 30%
Brake Deadzone: 10%
Brake Sensitivity: 15%
Controller Filtering Sensitivity: 50% (you should try different values to see what you like best). A higher value means smoother (less twitchy) steering but it can cause input lag.
Steering Deadzone: 5-10% (it depends on how worn your left stick is, 5% seems fine to me)
Steering Sensitivity: 0
Speed Sensitivity: 60-65% (this setting allows for small corrections, it basically makes the wheel less sensitive, especially on the straights)

Petethefeet
08-05-2015, 14:44
all i wanna know is there gonna be a patch for xbox one soon im fed up of messing with controller settings if there is no fix soon im gonna have to get a refund.

Dwayne
08-05-2015, 14:57
Any way of getting raw output from a gamepad without any filtering?

In beta versions you could launch the debug version or start the normal exe with the -gold switch and by pressing F1 you had plenty of options for adjusting the controller, from maximum steering speed and some deadzone values.

Counter steering without being able to adjust this settings is impossible, at least if you want to be really competitive with any car. I usually pushed all speed parameters to the max and enabled the old dampening method. With this I had raw output and could drive the car as if I had a wheel, that is, without any gamepad filtering functions applied.

Btw, if I choose to set a custom wheel in controller settings the instant I redefine the left/right stick it detects that I have a gamepad and applies the damn filtering functions again. NFS Shift 1 and Shift 2 had this same beahaviour, as it seems these code remained the same :confused:

NIN
08-05-2015, 15:09
Any way of getting raw output from a gamepad without any filtering?

In beta versions you could launch the debug version or start the normal exe with the -gold switch and by pressing F1 you had plenty of options for adjusting the controller, from maximum steering speed and some deadzone values.

Counter steering without being able to adjust this settings is impossible, at least if you want to be really competitive with any car. I usually pushed all speed parameters to the max and enabled the old dampening method. With this I had raw output and could drive the car as if I had a wheel, that is, without any gamepad filtering functions applied.

Btw, if I choose to set a custom wheel in controller settings the instant I redefine the left/right stick it detects that I have a gamepad and applies the damn filtering functions again. NFS Shift 1 and Shift 2 had this same beahaviour, as it seems these code remained the same :confused:

If you find that solution, pls m8 let me know. I'm trying to fix that from the start, but no luck. On the last page, I asked same thing, and unfortunately, there is no solution:

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?21992-Setting-up-a-gamepad/page2

Photato
08-05-2015, 15:48
Uhm, i am using an Xb1 pad, with which the FFB is currently a bit borked and my previous experience with a regular Xbox 360 pad was good concerning FFB.
I've just tested and there is indeed lacking FFB, i'll try to see if this is a known issue.

Concerning your other complaints, i do agree to an extent that it's quite twitchy around center. For now, could you could try mode1 with deadzone at 48 and see if it improves for you?
That's even worse. Such a massive deadzone never lets me know when I will actually do something when moving the stick.
I'm at mode 2 with 0 deadzone, steering sens., 5 filter and input filter off. That kind of works, but still it is way to twitchy. And I had to turn stability control on...
Just drove Nordschleife, the part behind Pflanzgarten (high speed left with the small jump). I couldn't perfectly align my car as it turned too much with the slightest touch of the stick, so I turned mid-air and went into the wall. That's exactly what I remember from Shift 2 when driving the fully tuned R8. Most times a perfect lap ended right there on that jump, while in other games that's a corner where I hardly do the slightest mistake.

Strange thing is, in mode 2 and with 0 deadzone, the whole tolerance is filtered (and it's around 30k around zero from the 128k resolution on my pretty used pad). I expected the car to wobble around with the slightest touch of the stick, but nothing, perfectly straight. So the game still seems to filter the input, even though it shouldn't be.

Dwayne
08-05-2015, 15:50
Ah sorry, didn't saw that you asked this already, I quick read some commentaries, saw some posts with some setups so didn't read it any further. Anyway, we are two that already asked so better than one ;)

I tried to launch the game with -gold, -debug even -dbg and -console switches and pressed all key shortcuts that I could remember but nothing.
Also, no xml that can be edited, unless it is buried in some bff compressed file. but for me the best solution would be that in custom wheel the game simply did not try to detect what controller we have and did not apply any hidden filter. Just raw output and the visible settings. Let's hope that by some miracle a future patch solves this :rolleyes:

Gooseone
08-05-2015, 15:59
That's even worse. Such a massive deadzone never lets me know when I will actually do something when moving the stick.
I'm at mode 2 with 0 deadzone, steering sens., 5 filter and input filter off. That kind of works, but still it is way to twitchy. And I had to turn stability control on...
Just drove Nordschleife, the part behind Pflanzgarten (high speed left with the small jump). I couldn't perfectly align my car as it turned too much with the slightest touch of the stick, so I turned mid-air and went into the wall. That's exactly what I remember from Shift 2 when driving the fully tuned R8. Most times a perfect lap ended right there on that jump, while in other games that's a corner where I hardly do the slightest mistake.

Strange thing is, in mode 2 and with 0 deadzone, the whole tolerance is filtered (and it's around 30k around zero from the 128k resolution on my pretty used pad). I expected the car to wobble around with the slightest touch of the stick, but nothing, perfectly straight. So the game still seems to filter the input, even though it shouldn't be.

I take it you drive with your thumb glued on the stick? What i suggested could work if you're inclined to tap the analogue stick from center.
I don't know what you mean by the tolerance being filtered, with on Xb1 pad, mode 2 and 0 deadzone i have indeed 0 deadzone.

Photato
08-05-2015, 16:54
I take it you drive with your thumb glued on the stick? What i suggested could work if you're inclined to tap the analogue stick from center.
I don't know what you mean by the tolerance being filtered, with on Xb1 pad, mode 2 and 0 deadzone i have indeed 0 deadzone.
Yep, thumb is glued, gives more control in my opinion.
Tolerance (or is it play? don't know the right english word for it)... when calibrating the pad in windows, the raw values range from 0k to 65k (had wrong values in mind in previous post). My pad's play (stick wobbling around and 'staying' on that position) is around -5k to +3k around the middle, so about 12%. When in mode 2 / 0 deadzone I should feel that by the car not driving straight, but instead it is, as if the stick would be put dead on on zero, when not being moved. So this 0 deadzone covers my real 12% deadzone.

NIN
08-05-2015, 17:14
Ah sorry, didn't saw that you asked this already, I quick read some commentaries, saw some posts with some setups so didn't read it any further. Anyway, we are two that already asked so better than one ;)

I tried to launch the game with -gold, -debug even -dbg and -console switches and pressed all key shortcuts that I could remember but nothing.
Also, no xml that can be edited, unless it is buried in some bff compressed file. but for me the best solution would be that in custom wheel the game simply did not try to detect what controller we have and did not apply any hidden filter. Just raw output and the visible settings. Let's hope that by some miracle a future patch solves this :rolleyes:

Same here. Developer menu dont work anymore no matter what I do and I spent hours digging the files trying to find some config file, some xml for control settings but nothing.

And I try to set custom wheel but there is always that one steering speed of the wheel. I just cant get raw input. Did you get the same or did you somehow get raw input for steering ?

Gooseone
08-05-2015, 18:38
Yep, thumb is glued, gives more control in my opinion.
Tolerance (or is it play? don't know the right english word for it)... when calibrating the pad in windows, the raw values range from 0k to 65k (had wrong values in mind in previous post). My pad's play (stick wobbling around and 'staying' on that position) is around -5k to +3k around the middle, so about 12%. When in mode 2 / 0 deadzone I should feel that by the car not driving straight, but instead it is, as if the stick would be put dead on on zero, when not being moved. So this 0 deadzone covers my real 12% deadzone.

What is happening is that the car centers, so yes it goes straight, there's even a speed value which is applied when you release the stick (i.e. no input registered).
Don't all games which are driven by a pad have a similar centering? Although i entertained the notion that it would be cool to have this centering value being based on the physics generated by the wheels/ tyres,
i don't think there are already games out which have such a feature. Unlike a wheel which you can fight, a gamepad always overrides such forces.
What kind of behavior would you expect if i might ask?

haynowhaughton
08-05-2015, 20:34
all i wanna know is there gonna be a patch for xbox one soon im fed up of messing with controller settings if there is no fix soon im gonna have to get a refund.
How can you get a refund if you have already opened and played it. Seriously I might need to know as the game pad issues are destroying this game for me

Dwayne
08-05-2015, 20:52
Same here. Developer menu dont work anymore no matter what I do and I spent hours digging the files trying to find some config file, some xml for control settings but nothing.

And I try to set custom wheel but there is always that one steering speed of the wheel. I just cant get raw input. Did you get the same or did you somehow get raw input for steering ?Same here, as soon as i try to remap the left right buttons in custom wheel the game automatically set the filtering settings for gamepad and applies the hidden filtering in race, so no way to get raw output :mad:, the damn wheel doesn't turn fast enough for proper control, specially for countersteering.

NIN
08-05-2015, 20:57
Damn it.. how did they miss steering speed for a racing game. I just can't get it.

Again, if you find solution for this, pls let me know. Same, if I find a fix, I will let you know. I asked via twitter but nobody answers.

could_do_better
08-05-2015, 20:59
Worth a try for XB1 users.

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?21858-Xbox-One-Controller-Settings-Problems-amp-Solutions&p=887730&viewfull=1#post887730

BorgX666
08-05-2015, 22:21
these are the settings i tried and it made the cars much more stable to drive however a little more tweaking is needed
i tried the Mclaren P1 around Donnington (GP layout) and it was a lot better to drive but still not perfect then i drove the F1 car around Hockenheim and it was a dream drive really happy
please note these are not my own settings, i found them off another web site!

i have traction control and stability control on

Steering dead: 15
Steering sens: 0
Throttle dead: 10
Throttle sens: 20
Brake dead: 10
Brake sens: 20
Clutch dead: 10
Clutch sens: 45
Speed sens: 70
Controller filt: 50
Ffb: 90
Advanced: off

Dwayne
08-05-2015, 23:00
EDIT:

After I found the below workaround I ended up developing my own solution (http://sourceforge.net/projects/dxace/files/) that I advise to use instead if you want raw output, as it can work for any controller (be it gamepad/joystick/wheel under xinput or directinput), you won't need to install/uninstall any driver (and the possible problems that can cause) and it won't affect any other game unlike the below XBCD solution.

-----

I found a way for getting raw output for users of xbox 360 pads or compatible since I remembered that I did that for NFS Shift 2, but the problem is that it's not something I'd recommend UNLESS you are a PC POWER USER and know how to properly install, uninstall and reinstall drivers and configure the diverse settings.

So if anyone is interested the steps are the following, again only for EXPERT users and if you have a XBOX 360 controller:

1- Download XBCD drivers which can be found here (http://vba-m.com/forum/Thread-xbcd-0-2-7-release-info-updates-will-be-posted-here). I installed XBCD_Installer_0.2.7.exe version.

2- Go to start menu, find the newly installed folder XBCD and Run XBCD setup utility as administrator (right click on it).

3- In XBCD config window I chose the XBCD 360 Emu map (left bottom corner) and clicked apply, might need to unplug your gamepad and replug it again. Then I chose type as Joystick (on top of the window) set deadzones to zero (you can change after if you want but I wanted all raw, and don't enable full range...). Applied again.

4- Open control manager and click on devices and printers. There should be a icon of the xbox controller or similar, right click on it and select "game controller settings", then click on properties and chose the settings tab. I advise to first click on reset to default, then you can calibrate it if it has some particular problem like not being centered, etc. check if everything is ok on the test tab.

5- Launch Project cars :rolleyes:, go to options and select custom wheel, then map your sticks, keys at will.

6- It needs to be calibrated otherwise game gives something as a 200š steering lock so it will get understeer on some corners. Follow instructions. I found that at around 360š it's enough.

7- Put the available settings at your taste, deadzone, steering sensitivity etc. Personally since it was for test I left everything at 0 - 50 and disabled all filtering (speed sensitivity 0, etc)

8- Play and test :D

Just did a quick test with the LMP at Dubai and it's a world of difference. Now I feel that I can make the car do what I want. It will be extremely sensible without any filtering or deadzones at 0 but you can try in-game setting if you find it too hard. But regarding that I have a directinput wrapper which I modified to implement my custom filter (I'll post it if some ppl want to test and if it works correctly, didn't tested it in this game yet)

EDIT:

Since after I found this workaround I ended up developing my own solution (http://sourceforge.net/projects/dxace/files/) I advise to use it instead, as it can work for any controller (be it gamepad/joystick/wheel under xinput or directinput), you won't need to install/uninstall any driver (and the possible problems that can cause) and it won't affect any other game unlike the above solution.

Gooseone
08-05-2015, 23:03
I found a way for getting raw output for users of xbox 360 pads or compatible since I remembered that I did that for NFS Shift 2, but the problem is that it's not something I'd recommend UNLESS you are a PC POWER USER and know how to properly install, uninstall and reinstall drivers and configure the diverse settings.

So if anyone is interested the steps are the following, again only for EXPERT users and if you have a XBOX 360 controller:

1- Download XBCD drivers which can be found here (http://vba-m.com/forum/Thread-xbcd-0-2-7-release-info-updates-will-be-posted-here). I installed XBCD_Installer_0.2.7.exe version.

2- Go to start menu, find the newly installed folder XBCD and Run XBCD setup utility as administrator (right click on it).

3- In XBCD config window I chose the XBCD 360 Emu map (left bottom corner) and clicked apply, might need to unplug your gamepad and replug it again. Then I chose type as Joystick (on top of the window) set deadzones to zero (you can change after if you want but I wanted all raw, and don't enable full range...). Applied again.

4- Open control manager and click on devices and printers. There should be a icon of the xbox controller or similar, right click on it and select "game controller settings", then click on properties and chose the settings tab. I advise to first click on reset to default, then you can calibrate it if it has some particular problem like not being centered, etc. check if everything is ok on the test tab.

5- Launch Project cars :rolleyes:, go to options and select custom wheel, then map your sticks, keys at will.

6- It needs to be calibrated otherwise game gives something as a 270š steering lock so it will get understeer on some corners. Follow instructions. I found that at around 360š it's enough.

7- Put the available settings at your taste, deadzone, steering sensitivity etc. Personally since it was for test I left everything at 0 - 50 and disabled all filtering (speed sensitivity 0, etc)

8- Play and test :D

Just did a quick test with the LMP at Dubai and it's a world of difference. Now I feel that I can make the car do what I want. It will be extremely sensible without any filtering or deadzones at 0 but you can try in-game setting if you find it too hard. But regarding that I have a directinput wrapper which I modified to implement my custom filter (I'll post it if some ppl want to test and if it works correctly, didn't tested it in this game yet)

Which view do you use for driving?

Dwayne
08-05-2015, 23:17
Which view do you use for driving?In Shift series cockpit :) otherwise the bonnet camera is fine too.

NIN
08-05-2015, 23:36
Dwayne Well, I have this problem: http://pokit.org/get/img/379826c30327d5d2ceb9a5ebb0d430a3.jpg

And I cant do anything on XCB: http://pokit.org/get/img/d30da16fbe0bd1ffdf144ed7a2db59f7.jpg

Windows 8.1 64bit. Any idea what is the problem ?
EDIT:

Nevermind. It was thet unsigned drivers restriction. Now it works gr8.. tnx, you are the man!!

Zen Racer 246
09-05-2015, 09:07
If sensitivity is perceived to be too much do make sure that soft steering is enabled in the advanced options and opposite lock help disabled.

I found these settings suitable for the PS4 controller. good one.

Gooseone
09-05-2015, 09:41
In Shift series cockpit :) otherwise the bonnet camera is fine too.

Are you sure that all that you are doing is actually working differently then just selecting custom wheel without the XBCD driver thingy?
I would try a view without a visible wheel to check it, the wheel rotation can easily give you the wrong impression.

NIN
09-05-2015, 09:51
Gooseone Without XBCD game apply filter for steering speed and you dont have raw output no matter what you do. It is not possible to get "manual" steering, same speed of your hand. It always see controller like controller even if you try with custom steering wheel.

Gooseone
09-05-2015, 10:17
If you use the Xbox 360 emu mode, it's likely the game still sees it as a gamepad. You'd be amazed what visual wheel rotation alone can do for your impression of the steering.

Dwayne
09-05-2015, 10:19
Are you sure that all that you are doing is actually working differently then just selecting custom wheel without the XBCD driver thingy?
I would try a view without a visible wheel to check it, the wheel rotation can easily give you the wrong impression.Absolutely sure that it behaves as if you had a wheel, it doesn't filter anything :), I used same method for Shift 2, otherwise game was undrivable for me.

As I said, try it only if you are comfortable installing/uninstalling drivers, as you may want to go back to the Microsoft drivers, and are not afraid of any possible complication. It's easy and should be straightforward but as we all know each system is different and can behave differently with the same software.

Dwayne
09-05-2015, 10:21
Gooseone Without XBCD game apply filter for steering speed and you dont have raw output no matter what you do. It is not possible to get "manual" steering, same speed of your hand. It always see controller like controller even if you try with custom steering wheel.Did you try the XBCD drivers?

Dwayne
09-05-2015, 10:27
If you use the Xbox 360 emu mode, it's likely the game still sees it as a gamepad. You'd be amazed what visual wheel rotation alone can do for your impression of the steering.It's not a real emu mode, just a stick/button mapping. The real emulator is the x360ce software which stands for xbox 360 controller emulator ;) There's a version included in XBCD software but I wouldn't advise to use it since it's an old version, plus it doesn't have the x64 version needed for many games today.

NIN
09-05-2015, 10:45
Did you try the XBCD drivers?

Yep, works perfect.

Gooseone
09-05-2015, 10:59
Greetings all, re this xbox one, with the controller issue, I have discovered that when the filtering is activated, at more than 30 mph, the steering input is cut down by approximately 50%. This helps the handling immensely, but it's too slow, Forza have the same system, but I believe it cuts in at 40mph. Have tested this with a Renault Cup car at Brands Hatch, and Donington, just one other unrelated item. The driver at Donington in said car bashes the garage as he drives out, (no visible damage done to car). Had a beer has he?

Don't you mean speed sensitivity?

deadboy
09-05-2015, 12:39
The Raw mode you guys are asking was present in pCars during the testing. Be patient some days, because I think all these troubles reported with sensitivity by many players will convince the devs to bring it back as an option if they won't fix the sensitivity problem in the current system.
Installing custom drivers like the one you are using to have back the raw input can mess up your controller with other games, so beware. When the SMS will release the patch for the pad control system remember to uninstall that software.

NIN
09-05-2015, 14:11
deadboy Yes but, in the meantime, we have to handle it somehow. It will be ok to have "old dampening" option to apply it, like in old builds through developer menu:

..but we dont have "old dampening" or "developer/debug menu" anymore in this final.

deadboy
09-05-2015, 14:23
I know, don't know how much time will get the release of the patch, but the Boss said already that this is their main work right now.

NIN
09-05-2015, 14:37
Well, that's a good news. Tnx for the info. I'm hoping it will be soon.

Cobbie66
09-05-2015, 14:57
I hope we can get a solution to this. I am using a Logitech F310 gamepad, and having a very hard time controlling the steering

NIN
09-05-2015, 15:24
I hope we can get a solution to this. I am using a Logitech F310 gamepad, and having a very hard time controlling the steering

Try this one: http://pokit.org/get/img/c232b943999b72adb1dd2420c0e3dee3.jpg

Before I install XBCD, I was most happy with that settings.

Dwayne
09-05-2015, 15:37
The Raw mode you guys are asking was present in pCars during the testing. Be patient some days, because I think all these troubles reported with sensitivity by many players will convince the devs to bring it back as an option if they won't fix the sensitivity problem in the current system.
Installing custom drivers like the one you are using to have back the raw input can mess up your controller with other games, so beware. When the SMS will release the patch for the pad control system remember to uninstall that software.Lets hope that they solve it then :)

For now this method works well for me but as you said it can be troublesome, that's why I advised to only try it if you're used to. But no doubt that it would be miles better if they added an option for raw output plus all eventual filters (deadzone, speed sensitivity, etc) being visible, in other words, maintain the current options and make a raw mode 0 :rolleyes: Only thing is that without any filtering, and even if you use ingame ones, the car can be hard to control but for that I have my own filters so not really a problem. I'll upload them, if some are not satisfied with ingame ones, if they finally include that mode :)

Cobbie66
09-05-2015, 15:47
Try this one: http://pokit.org/get/img/c232b943999b72adb1dd2420c0e3dee3.jpg

Before I install XBCD, I was most happy with that settings.

Thank you! Just tested it out and it is much better! Much less twitchy and I can actually complete laps without winding up in a wall now :) Is it even better with XBCD? I am using the Logitech as an Xbox One controller in game

Edit: Just checked and it looks like the Logitech is not supported. But at least I have hope that I can get the game to work now. I was getting very frustrated

Dwayne
09-05-2015, 16:21
Thank you! Just tested it out and it is much better! Much less twitchy and I can actually complete laps without winding up in a wall now :) Is it even better with XBCD? I am using the Logitech as an Xbox One controller in game

Edit: Just checked and it looks like the Logitech is not supported. But at least I have hope that I can get the game to work now. I was getting very frustratedYou're on PC right? Interestingly enough is that your pad support 2 modes, directinput and xinput. I don't know if they changed it since Shift 2 but in Shift 2 they had different filters for the 2 API, go figure, and directinput were less filtered, most important is that it hadn't the stupid deadzone bug that they never solved, at least pcars don't suffer this anymore. Now a interesting test would be to set it to direcinput by switching the switch that is on the back of the pad and in game remap a custom wheel and see if it's unfiltered output :p. But since your problem seems to be that you had already too much movement then I won't advise it ;)

wuadeq
09-05-2015, 22:19
Speed sensitivity means "the faster is the car moving, less sensitivite the steering is", its speed of a car related ;)...i also think, controler input mode is just preset setting, and u doesnt take care of it if u change other values manualy...all your settings are unussable i think, no offence, but we need STEERING SPEED option, thats why is it unplayable on gamepad, virtual steering wheel turns fu#kin slow,...weird nobody realize it, and not sure where to post it to let devs know

Gooseone
09-05-2015, 22:32
Speed sensitivity means "the faster is the car moving, less sensitivite the steering is", its speed of a car related ;)...i also think, controler input mode is just preset setting, and u doesnt take care od it if u change other values manuály...all your settings are unussable i think, no offence, but we need STEERING SPEED option, thats why is it unplayable on gamepad, virtual steering wheel turns fu#kin slow,...weird nobody realize it, and not sure where to post it to let devs know

Actually speed sensitivity only decreases the steering lock at speed, the modes differ in more ways than you can set in the menus.
Concerning the slow steering, that's your opinion, not everyone would like to have the analogue stick acting as if it were an unfiltered wheel; it would take a lot of effort to control.
I wouldn't count on a steering speed option but maybe some of the presets will be adjusted in the future so that people with a distinct preference would have it more to their liking.

wuadeq
09-05-2015, 23:08
Feels like driving on drugs, cuz u turn but car turns split second later. Agree it needs some time to master it, but with other setting (filtering, speed sens etc) it works well. I also playin "that new PC HC sim game with weird italian name" (not sure if i can post other game names here, heh) and its the only way how to stay on track. In pCARS rwd cars are pretty uncontrolable because of this, also left to right corners are pretty frustrating, cuz u need to turn little earlier than u in fact want to. But thanx 4 fast repply, i will cry a river till steerspeed added ;)

NIN
09-05-2015, 23:15
Actually speed sensitivity only decreases the steering lock at speed, the modes differ in more ways than you can set in the menus.
Concerning the slow steering, that's your opinion, not everyone would like to have the analogue stick acting as if it were an unfiltered wheel; it would take a lot of effort to control.
I wouldn't count on a steering speed option but maybe some of the presets will be adjusted in the future so that people with a distinct preference would have it more to their liking.

I disagree with you. What we asking is not something new in racing or sim games. If we get steering speed option, raw input (100%) if it is fast for you, you can reduce that. This is my gameplay with x360 gamepad on a. corsa with 100% (raw input) steering speed, this why we need 100% speed or raw speed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJzQKMQACEQ

I'd spin of a couple of times in the first lap if I had same steering speed that we have in pCARS.

Gooseone
09-05-2015, 23:17
I think you can mention Assetto Corsa here. I find it nice to drive on a gamepad also.
You could try mode 2 with fairly high steering sensitivity and use a bit more deadzone to prevet the center from getting too twitchy.
I wouldn't use too much speed sensitivity or controller filtering and you could experiment with the opposite lock help on/off, soft steering damepening on/off.
You can also set steering ratio faster in the car setup screen under the alignment tab if things are still not responding fast enough for you.

Gooseone
09-05-2015, 23:20
I disagree with you. What we asking is not something new in racing or sim games. If we get steering speed option, raw input (100%) if it is fast for you, you can reduce that. This is my gameplay with x360 gamepad on a. corsa with 100% (raw input) steering speed, this why we need 100% speed or raw speed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJzQKMQACEQ

I'd spin of a couple of times in the first lap if I had same steering speed that we have in pCARS.

Again, there probably won't be a steering speed option, but i understand your preference. I'll pass it on.

NIN
09-05-2015, 23:27
Me and some other players find this temporarily solution: http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?21992-Setting-up-a-gamepad&p=888156&viewfull=1#post888156

It works, we get RAW output, its fantastic with this moding of controller but we lost "identity" of controller in games general. After that its not x360 gamepad anymore.

If we dont get steering speed, it will be nice to get "old dampening" option back. With that we get RAW output and if you are a player who like what we have now, just set "old dampening: off". Either way, I'm hoping that we get something..

Gooseone
09-05-2015, 23:31
On that solution, are you sure it's different from selecting custom wheel and calibrating it to your preference?
(I've been fooled myself by doing such a thing)

wuadeq
09-05-2015, 23:36
Im on ps4 with pCARS, on PC its just value in .ini or .cfg file i think

Gooseone: not at home right now, ill try later, thx ;)

NIN
10-05-2015, 08:55
On that solution, are you sure it's different from selecting custom wheel and calibrating it to your preference?
(I've been fooled myself by doing such a thing)

Wen you try custom wheel, you have same steering speed as with x360 controller option. No deference. I tried with 5-6 wheels, setting custom function but it is always same slow steering speed. After XBCD drivers we get raw output but its not x360 controller anymore for other games.

Dwayne
10-05-2015, 11:31
After XBCD drivers we get raw output but its not x360 controller anymore for other games.That is easily solved with x360ce emulator (http://www.x360ce.com/default.aspx) ;) Only little problem is that you'll probably don't get any vibration effects. Effects are supported by the XBCD driver but somehow x360ce don't seem to translate them.

Dwayne
10-05-2015, 11:45
Feels like driving on drugs, cuz u turn but car turns split second later. Agree it needs some time to master it, but with other setting (filtering, speed sens etc) it works well. I also playin "that new PC HC sim game with weird italian name" (not sure if i can post other game names here, heh) and its the only way how to stay on track. In pCARS rwd cars are pretty uncontrolable because of this, also left to right corners are pretty frustrating, cuz u need to turn little earlier than u in fact want to. But thanx 4 fast repply, i will cry a river till steerspeed added ;)Well, if you tested XBCD workaround and have a hard time controlling the beasts you can try my simple filters (http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=55594754887625455134) and see if it improves your control :)
It's experimental and no guarantee that it will work for you but if you follow the quick instructions that I wrote it might just do the trick :rolleyes:

Gooseone
10-05-2015, 11:59
It indeed works, quite well actually, i can see what you're all on about. Too bad the rumble doesn't work.
(the standalone XBCD drivers that is.)

Dwayne
10-05-2015, 17:07
Regarding wheel rotation speed in raw mode I don't think options to filter speed rotation are needed. From personal experience after playing hundreds of hours (if not thousands :p) in several driving games in raw mode I found that the best way to be competitive is to get maximum axis precision by other methods and not limiting in any way the wheel rotation.

But, since some might do better with it I've uploaded a full version (http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=15794908502566561091) of the directinput wrapper with speed wheel rotation options, personally I use the reduced version that I posted before ;)

Again, not guaranteed that it will work for you. I tested it in Windows 7 x64 for the x64 project cars version with a xbox controller using the XBCD drivers but, in theory, it should work with any directinput device as long as you follow the instructions. I did not include the source code since I'd like to do a clean up first and it's an experimental version but it's open source so if anyone is interested in looking or change the code to their own methods I'll make the code available, no problem :)

Edit:

Updated the link to correct a minor bug in the editor where linearity where not correctly loaded from the ini file. Also, corrected the readme because in the previous version I had incorrectly described the behavior of the "center speed". Just changed it's designation according to its true function.

Gooseone
10-05-2015, 18:31
Regarding wheel rotation speed in raw mode I don't think options to filter speed rotation are needed. From personal experience after playing hundreds of hours (if not thousands :p) in several driving games in raw mode I found that the best way to be competitive is to get maximum axis precision by other methods and not limiting in any way the wheel rotation.

But, since some might do better with it I've uploaded a full version (http://s000.tinyupload.com/download.php?file_id=09483424324989533688&t=0948342432498953368853524) of the directinput wrapper with speed wheel rotation options, personally I use the reduced version that I posted before ;)

Again, not guaranteed that it will work for you. I tested it in Windows 7 x64 for the x64 project cars version with a xbox controller using the XBCD drivers but, in theory, it should work with any directinput device as long as you follow the instructions. I did not include the source code since I'd like to do a clean up first and it's an experimental version but it's open source so if anyone is interested in looking or change the code to their own methods I'll make the code available, no problem :)

So nothing for the rumble huh? lol ;)
(To be fair, it's not working as it should atm anyway).

You could make a thread in the feature suggestions concerning how you'd like to have the controller work, don't know if it will get support or get noticed though.

Barkliejm
10-05-2015, 19:23
I'm getting used to the control but it's not good and does let the game down! I can't understand how it can be hard to get right? Move the analogue stick fully left......steering goes fully left, move the analogue stick half way to the left.......steering goes half way to the left......hence analogue control!

When taking a slight bend at high speed I want to apply a bit of steering but it goes a lot lol so you end up having to flick the stick.......I understand you have a lot on your plate but this is basics and should be one of the first fixes!

Gooseone
10-05-2015, 19:42
I'm getting used to the control but it's not good and does let the game down! I can't understand how it can be hard to get right? Move the analogue stick fully left......steering goes fully left, move the analogue stick half way to the left.......steering goes half way to the left......hence analogue control!

When taking a slight bend at high speed I want to apply a bit of steering but it goes a lot lol so you end up having to flick the stick.......I understand you have a lot on your plate but this is basics and should be one of the first fixes!

I'm just volunteering here, mainly because it took me quite an effort too figure out what was what during development (all the while trying to persuade devs to adjust things to my preference ;))
and felt i could help preventing others from undergoing the steep learning curve i had.

What's your speed sensitivity setting?

wuadeq
10-05-2015, 21:29
Gooseone: tried prefs u adviced, worx 4 me pretty well, need some testin and adjustin, but its much better. But still think control menu is little...weird...not just cuz ppl didnt know what specific option exactly did, but also cuz its in little different way than what we have seen last years in sim racing games...still think that steerspeed slider is good idea, and if its car related just rename it steerspeed coeficient ;)...so or so it worx now, so thanx, own u a wodka shot ;)

philmo
10-05-2015, 23:31
I have changed my settings to the following which is much better, I am using an XBOX360 controller.

Mode 3
Brake Deadzone: 10%
Brake Sensitivity: 15%

It all went wrong when I tried Karts.

I found that at some speeds the wheel barely turns so for tight corners I hardly turn and slam into tyres/a wall.

I presume this is the incorrectly titled Speed sensitivity setting - which I clearly have to play with.
As I understand this setting the higher you set this option the less wheel turn you can make at higher speeds.
Hence my issue.

Any help with my settings would be appreciate.

philmo
10-05-2015, 23:45

Yes I think your right with your lock point, Karts are a real pain - as I guess I have to take this setting down for kart racing. As it is when entering corners at moderate speeds the lock is far too small so I slam into walls etc instead of taking the turn.

Dwayne
10-05-2015, 23:57
Yes I think your right with your lock point, Karts are a real pain - as I guess I have to take this setting down for kart racing. As it is when entering corners at moderate speeds the lock is far too small so I slam into walls etc instead of taking the turn.I'm afraid there's only the XBCD solution for the moment, hopefully next patches will come with a raw mode and better filtering settings.
About karts It's a pleasure driving them in raw mode, I'm doing the career from the lowest vehicles and leveled up to the super karts just now, extremely fun toy cars to drive :D

Gooseone
11-05-2015, 04:24
@ philmo, Ik haven't driven the karts much and i don't use much steering sensitivity, they 're als bit different then most otter cars,
wouldn't surprise me if they require als bit different setup.

@Dwayn, i could also value a different input system yet to state that such a thing is the only solution disregards the people who are content
with what they have now. Content people generally don't go online to state such a thing.

Duester
11-05-2015, 10:57
I'm using an ordinary Joystick as I did for some years. Because there is no progression setting in the game like it was in Richard Burns Rally I set the steering sensitivity to zero and the controller filtering sensitivity to 100% which allows me to get the most precisely steering with a joystick. Would be nice to have the same options like in RBR which was almost perfect.

Dwayne
11-05-2015, 13:05
@Dwayn, i could also value a different input system yet to state that such a thing is the only solution disregards the people who are content with what they have now. Content people generally don't go online to state such a thing.It's the only solution, with its downsides, for the problem he presented using a xbox 360 controller or any other xinput device. Now, each person will use what's fits them best, but you can only please everybody if all modes are included in the game :)

sdas venom
11-05-2015, 13:28
i havent been able to get the game yet but i will tues when it comes out in my region.to me it sounds like the game is all simulated with no assists which to me im use to and i find it good that with that being the case that noone will be able to actually be better than anyone else. i agree with you, i also think that other people who are playing the game are not used to racing simulated racing.

Dwayne
11-05-2015, 13:45
I'm using an ordinary Joystick as I did for some years. Because there is no progression setting in the game like it was in Richard Burns Rally I set the steering sensitivity to zero and the controller filtering sensitivity to 100% which allows me to get the most precisely steering with a joystick. Would be nice to have the same options like in RBR which was almost perfect.If your joystick is using directinput you can try my wrapper although if you get high precision with ingame settings it's good enough, no? ;)

philmo
11-05-2015, 17:56
[QUOTE=Gooseone;896588]@ philmo, Ik haven't driven the karts much and i don't use much steering sensitivity, they 're als bit different then most otter cars,
wouldn't surprise me if they require als bit different setup.

Have answered my own question - well sort of.

Lower speed sensitivity to 40 and it greatly increased my turn angle at higher speeds.

Found post 21 from this thread helpful.

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?23153-Xbox-One-Controller-Configuration-Guide/page3

NIN
12-05-2015, 23:31
Here is some action ..hehe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9G5gGbc70D4

In game settings:

First set controller input mode on "2" and set "Advanced" to: off.

STEERING DEADZONE: 0
STEERING SENSITIVITY: 0
THROTTLE DEADZONE: 0
THROTTLE SENSITIVITY: 5
BRAKE DEADZONE: 5
BRAKE SENSITIVITY: 30
SPEED SENSITIVITY: 85
CONTROLLER FILTERING SENSITIVITY: 65
DAMPER SATURATION: 0
FORCE FEEDBACK: 10

Gooseone
13-05-2015, 15:36
I must admit that it looks smooth, especially small adjustments from center.

DusterBuster
13-05-2015, 16:15
Hello,

I use a PS2 gamepad with an USB adapter. I had exactly the same problems, to "wait" for the visual wheel movement, because of that it was impossible for me to countersteer in a fast situation. In my case I could set it up as a custom wheel to get a direct input. I think it worked in my case, because the game doesn't know its a gamepad because of the usb adapter.

Dwayne
13-05-2015, 22:27
Well, I found, alias developed, another way to get raw output without the need of the XBCD drivers. Funny enough is that I thought to do what DusterBuster described but through software solution using xinput and directinput wrappers, that is, forcing the game to believe that I don't have a xinput gamepad and use the directinput driver.

Was hard work, for my very low coding skills that is ;), since it was not enough to disable xinput because the game still detected it trough directinput and activated the filters, or simply didn't enabled the xbox directinput driver, I don't remember. So, after a couple days of hard trying during my free hours, I managed to do it by disabling xinput for the game and feeding it with a different guid for the Xbox pad under the diretcinput driver.

If you want to try it you can download it here (http://sourceforge.net/projects/dxace/files/).

Main target are people using xinput gamepads that want to have raw output but it should work, in theory, with any device and in any racing game although I might need to adjust some options to make it fully functional for all, dunno. It's an experimental version (don't worry it shouldn't brick your system ;)) so no guarantee of working on your game or being bug free.

Advantages of this method are that it's very simple to install and unsinstall (like sweetfx for comparison), won't interfere with other games and can, in theory work for any steering device, be it under xinput or directinput driver.

Disavantadges is that it might need some configuration steps, that are not hard but anyway, and you won't get separated throttle and brake axis for xinput devices, although I don't think it's such a important feature. Also, but that was a downside for the XBCD solution too, no rumble effects for xbox pads. Both problems could be solved but I don't think it's worth the trouble since I don't think many will use my solution anyway and future patches will, hopefully, incorpore a ingame raw mode ;)

Mike Scott
14-05-2015, 22:51
Dwayne,
I registered just to thank you for your solution! It seems to work very well with my Logitech Rumblepad 2: I use the default setting (Raw) of your app, and I up the steering sensitivity to 20 in in-game menu (I was getting understeer, too little sensitivity around the center). The main difference now is that I can drive the cars on and above limit whereas previously one tiny mistake resulted in instant spin outs.
Thanks again! :D

Gooseone
15-05-2015, 09:38
Well, I found, alias developed, another way to get raw output without the need of the XBCD drivers. Funny enough is that I thought to do what DusterBuster described but through software solution using xinput and directinput wrappers, that is, forcing the game to believe that I don't have a xinput gamepad and use the directinput driver.

Was hard work, for my very low coding skills that is ;), since it was not enough to disable xinput because the game still detected it trough directinput and activated the filters, or simply didn't enabled the xbox directinput driver, I don't remember. So, after a couple days of hard trying during my free hours, I managed to do it by disabling xinput for the game and feeding it with a different guid for the Xbox pad under the diretcinput driver.

If you want to try it here's the link (http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=14511369996889155493). Main target are people using xinput gamepads that want to have raw output but it should work, in theory, with any device and in any racing game although I might need to adjust some options to make it fully functional for all, dunno. It's an experimental version (don't worry it shouldn't brick your system ;)) so no guarantee of working on your game or being bug free.

Advantages of this method are that it's very simple to install and unsinstall (like sweetfx for comparison), won't interfere with other games and can, in theory work for any steering device, be it under xinput or directinput driver.

Disavantadges is that it might need some configuration steps, that are not hard but anyway, and you won't get separated throttle and brake axis for xinput devices, although I don't think it's such a important feature. Also, but that was a downside for the XBCD solution too, no rumble effects for xbox pads. Both problems could be solved but I don't think it's worth the trouble since I don't think many will use my solution anyway and future patches will, hopefully, incorpore a ingame raw mode ;)

So if i understand correctly, and not to take away on your efforts, you've created files similar to the ones x360ce would create?
In case you would trouble yourself to try to make rumble work, don't bother; if a device is recognized as a dinput device it thinks it is a wheel and wheels do not have any canned effects.

Antiversum
15-05-2015, 10:24
I have a question. I'm using the XBO controller with pre-setting of 3. I'm not sure if my problem either isn't one or just bad driving lol. For example I'm using the Formula 1 car, when I drive a corner I always got a slightly squeak of the wheels. No blocking, no smoke. I tuned down the sensitivites but that didn't solve that issue if it is one. If I'm driving the corner very very slow I don't hear anything.
If I can solve it (because I think it leads to higher temperatures) by controller setup I would like to do it.

Gooseone
15-05-2015, 11:13
That's just an indication that you are using the tire, i don't think it's that detrimental to your tire temperatures.
It could be exaggerated by any twitchy-ness of your controller setup, maybe check a few clips online to see if others have squeeky tires also.

Dwayne
15-05-2015, 14:48
So if i understand correctly, and not to take away on your efforts, you've created files similar to the ones x360ce would create?
In case you would trouble yourself to try to make rumble work, don't bother; if a device is recognized as a dinput device it thinks it is a wheel and wheels do not have any canned effects.Yes, it's the same principle but with different objectives. x360ce is a directinput->xinput wrapper intended to give compatibility of non xinput devices in xinput games while the main objective here was just the inverse, that is to disable xinput support ;) .

To be a more precise the dlls included in my package are xinput->xinput and directinput->directinput wrappers with the possibility of disabling xinput.

As a curiosity I have a modified x360ce too but did not included it in the package since objective here was mainly to get raw output. Also, I did not release the source codes but I can make them available under GNU GPL if anyone is interested (it's hard work to keep everything organized)

Regarding getting rumble effects I won't go technical but in theory nothing impedes to translate the ffb vibration effects of a wheel into rumble effects in a pad. Just for the fun I'm working on it but no intention on working hard so no guarantee that I will ever be fully successful :)

Btw, I updated the release just to include a better and more objective readme plus, added a useful config feature.

Again, in this thread, this is MAINLY intended for people interested in getting raw output, if you are happy with ingame filters then this is not for you.

But, even if you are not interested in raw output it could reveal to be useful as you can apply some filters outside the game and immediately see the result. I were using them before I could get raw output, it did improved my steering but still was far from being happy about the car control. As a end note I tested this method in the old shift 2 were I had the same problem and it also works as expected :)

madmax2069
16-05-2015, 20:17
The only thing that really hurts me is the crossover speed from when you are full locked to full lock takes longer to get to center then just releasing the thumbstick (just releasing the thumbstick it snaps back to center so much faster).

It would be nice if there was a setting slider to set crossover speed so you could get the same speed as the snap back to center (the speed you see by releasing the thumbstick from full lock).

Gooseone
16-05-2015, 20:27
The only thing that really hurts me is the crossover speed from when you are full locked to full lock takes longer to get to center then just releasing the thumbstick (just releasing the thumbstick it snaps back to center so much faster).

It would be nice if there was a setting slider to set crossover speed so you could get the same speed as the snap back to center (the speed you see by releasing the thumbstick from full lock).

I think mode 2 has a faster crossover speed then mode 3.

Mog
16-05-2015, 23:37
EDIT

This was actually using input mode 3 along with the below settings :)

Here is some action ..hehe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9G5gGbc70D4

In game settings:

First set controller input mode on "2" and set "Advanced" to: off.

STEERING DEADZONE: 0
STEERING SENSITIVITY: 0
THROTTLE DEADZONE: 0
THROTTLE SENSITIVITY: 5
BRAKE DEADZONE: 5
BRAKE SENSITIVITY: 30
SPEED SENSITIVITY: 85
CONTROLLER FILTERING SENSITIVITY: 65
DAMPER SATURATION: 0
FORCE FEEDBACK: 10

Okay, so I am using a PS3 controller on the PC (since I stupidly sold my G27 the other year). I have to say, these settings are pretty good. Felt a little strange at first (especially when on some slow winding corners), but after a lap or two I really have to admit, AWESOME settings. I am pretty sure after a few hours these could produce some high ranking lap times!!

Nice work :)

madmax2069
17-05-2015, 09:01
I think mode 2 has a faster crossover speed then mode 3.

Thanks, that does indeed seem to be the case.

cyberfred
17-05-2015, 09:24
I use Xbox one controller and I only make few adjustement : mode 2 and especially FFB to 0 :(
I hope FFB problem will be gone in the next patch (cause stuttering when enabled with one controller or perhaps other gamepad)

Mike Scott
17-05-2015, 10:22
Okay, so I am using a PS3 controller on the PC (since I stupidly sold my G27 the other year). I have to say, these settings are pretty good. Felt a little strange at first (especially when on some slow winding corners), but after a lap or two I really have to admit, AWESOME settings. I am pretty sure after a few hours these could produce some high ranking lap times!!

Nice work :)
Are these settings used in conjunction with Dwayne's solution to get raw output?

Mog
18-05-2015, 21:05
Are these settings used in conjunction with Dwayne's solution to get raw output?

No, these were as is, but just a slight correction to my above statement, they were using input mode 3 along with those settings. They work amazingly!

Dwayne
18-05-2015, 21:31
No, these were as is, but just a slight correction to my above statement, they were using input mode 3 along with those settings. They work amazingly!Under xinput?

Mog
18-05-2015, 22:42
Under xinput?

SCP DS3 :)

Just found something out, the above settings are great for fast cars on fast tracks like Spa, less so on the Clio Cup :P

Need to try some further messing :D

TheCrazySwede
18-05-2015, 23:53
Can anyone explain what the features of the three different modes are? I just thought they were presets and you can adjust them however you wanted....
Do they each have independent properties?

Dwayne
19-05-2015, 15:21
Can anyone explain what the features of the three different modes are? I just thought they were presets and you can adjust them however you wanted....
Do they each have independent properties?
Do they each have independent properties?They are presets for the steering filters. Problem is that not all settings are available so it's not possible to fine tweak them.

From first days of playing in filtered mode I'd say that mode 3 is the closest to get raw output, specially around axis center so you'll get maximum sensibility in this mode, mode 2 being a bit more filtered setting and mod 1 a highly filtered preset, specially around axis center.

But my main problem is, or was ;), that none of them disables the overshoot prevention, so very fast turning or very fast counter-steering for tail recover is impossible on extreme situations (very present when driving karts - watch any F1 race and see how frequent it is that drivers do very fast left-rights on the wheel as not to lose the rear, sometimes even going full lock to full lock).

Gooseone
19-05-2015, 15:41
They are presets for the steering filters. Problem is that not all settings are available so it's not possible to fine tweak them.

From first days of playing in filtered mode I'd say that mode 3 is the closest to get raw output, specially around axis center so you'll get maximum sensibility in this mode, mode 2 being a bit more filtered setting and mod 1 a highly filtered preset, specially around axis center.

But my main problem is, or was ;), that none of them disables the overshoot prevention, so very fast turning or very fast counter-steering for tail recover is impossible on extreme situations (very present when driving karts - watch any F1 race and see how frequent it is that drivers do very fast left-rights on the wheel as not to lose the rear, sometimes even going full lock to full lock).

Actually, they differ mainly in steering speeds in different situations where mode 1 has a different implementation of using the deadzone setting.
There's also an opposite lock help which could act as a fast left-right aid in case of grip loss, it's in the advanced menu.

Although they're all "filtered" i feel input mode 2 is generally more balanced and that mode 3 gives you a bit slower steering (when steering normally, not when releasing the stick or moving it from side to side swiftly).

ThaJay
19-05-2015, 17:34

This is exactly my problem

After putting in some hours to get used to the handling of the game with both wheel and 360 controller, I really like the physics and controls. I have found a gamepad setting I like. I can get round the tracks no problem by now. Then comes the Caterham and you're forced to deal with over steer.
The whole reason I played Forza Motorsport 4 almost daily was the high level drifting, in both skill and realism. So it's not like that over steer is unwanted. There is only one reason thatīs not possible in Project CARS at the moment and itīs not the cars, lack of handbrake on some (but thatīs realistic so Iīm fine with that) lack of rain / eco tires on others. There are lots of ways around those things and they are about the physics. Nothing wrong with the physics in this game.

The thing I can't cope with, is that it is impossible to control counter steer with the analog stick.
Forza has this great system for steering. With a gamepad, it only lets you turn the wheels until they have lost grip and does not let you past the direction of travel with counter steer You know you have reached full lock when the angle of the car not decease any more when you stop pushing. you can also use cockpit view for this. It's extremely hard to always use 90-95% lock on your stick, so this system is not like steering help but it does remove all problems regarding lock and opposite lock. Added bonus, it also improves sensitivity on all cars.

Wheel users get this through force feedback. I have a wheel myself so I know how it just points the front wheels for you in a slide and it vibrates / loses weight on understeer. You just hold it, then pull back at the right moment. Without a system like this it is utterly impossible to be anywhere near competitive on a gamepad and that's a shame because I hate setting up my wheel each time I want to race. Also I get tired of the noise and vibration pretty quicly, with gamepad I can put in long hours. In forza this works quite well and the system seems so simple.

Please tell me we can get this and you will find me online in this game for years.

Dwayne
19-05-2015, 20:46
This is exactly my problem

After putting in some hours to get used to the handling of the game with both wheel and 360 controller, I really like the physics and controls. I have found a gamepad setting I like. I can get round the tracks no problem by now. Then comes the Caterham and you're forced to deal with over steer.
The whole reason I played Forza Motorsport 4 almost daily was the high level drifting, in both skill and realism. So it's not like that over steer is unwanted. There is only one reason thatīs not possible in Project CARS at the moment and itīs not the cars, lack of handbrake on some (but thatīs realistic so Iīm fine with that) lack of rain / eco tires on others. There are lots of ways around those things and they are about the physics. Nothing wrong with the physics in this game.

The thing I can't cope with, is that it is impossible to control counter steer with the analog stick.
Forza has this great system for steering. With a gamepad, it only lets you turn the wheels until they have lost grip and does not let you past the direction of travel with counter steer You know you have reached full lock when the angle of the car not decease any more when you stop pushing. you can also use cockpit view for this. It's extremely hard to always use 90-95% lock on your stick, so this system is not like steering help but it does remove all problems regarding lock and opposite lock. Added bonus, it also improves sensitivity on all cars.

Wheel users get this through force feedback. I have a wheel myself so I know how it just points the front wheels for you in a slide and it vibrates / loses weight on understeer. You just hold it, then pull back at the right moment. Without a system like this it is utterly impossible to be anywhere near competitive on a gamepad and that's a shame because I hate setting up my wheel each time I want to race. Also I get tired of the noise and vibration pretty quicly, with gamepad I can put in long hours. In forza this works quite well and the system seems so simple.

Please tell me we can get this and you will find me online in this game for years.Did you try using my workaround wrapper (http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=94953777754585942311) to get raw output?

Mike Scott
19-05-2015, 22:59
On a side note. I reinstalled Shift 2 and applied Dwayne's wrapper and it just worked wonders! Basically I have no input lag and no floaty feeling I used to have before, and I am rediscovering that game. Good times. :)

As for the input modes in pCars, I find that with no. 2 I get very bad understeer to the point that I have to use hand brake most of the time. Mode 3 combined with a touch of steering sensitivity (15-20) gives me good results. (All this with Dwayne's wrapper [first setting: raw input]).

ThaJay
19-05-2015, 23:32
Did you try using my workaround wrapper (http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=94953777754585942311) to get raw output?

I did not. You sir, are awesome.

re-read the entire topic, had skipped a few pages before. just installed your wrapper, mapped my controller (had to set id myself) and without doing any configuration, just using raw input (which I hate), I was able to do laps with the caterham no sweat. Before this I was scared of the tiniest bit of oversteer and now I just let the car roll through sweepers like it's nothing. In slow corners it's now almost impossible to make it spin out because it either understeers and I ease the steering, or it oversteers and I correct it.

You know the left dipping sweeper before the second braking point on Donnington? I spun out so many times there using different cars and settings. Now with raw input and the caterham (the one I was having the most trouble with) I just mind control it through and onto the braking line.

Will tweak settings and try nice filters. This may be very good.

edit: after a few hours of testing, I still need help with the amount of opposite lock. Try it yourself on a big long sweeper. let the tail come round a little bit and see what happens. I either snap back or very slowly spin out.
The last corner on Catalunya School is a great example. The tight bends aren't much of a problem to slide but the big one feels pretty impossible using either control set up.

I do like the more raw input + filter settings better than the vanilla input, but I can't seem to get it smooth yet. I would like to have a combination of both but some ingame filtering does not seem to apply any more. But like I said none of this can replace actual opposite lock help (direction of travel / grip based like how forza feels, mostly fm4 in my case but it was there in 2 and 3)

On my settings, I found out fast center and slow outside works for me. This way you can tap for small corrections and thumbglue for turn in. so that's ranges at around 50, stability speed around 50 and extremes speed around 10 or below. I'm still tweaking my settings so this may not work, have mostly been testing on catalunya school now. Overall it seems like slow for fast stick movements and fast for slow ones is a good way to go.

(love the track, it was my quick set up home course in fm4, while using catalunya GP to tune the fast ones. about 75% of my fm4 time was set-up and hotlaps. then 24% online drift -tandem mostly, once I had the skills- and 1% career.)

But don't think this is about drifting just because I seem to like going sideways. Precise opposite lock is just as important for fast laptimes. In FM4 I was slowly working towards the perfect 4 wheel almost-drift late apex turn and building set-ups with maximum traction just for it. Hope I can continue my quest on here.

Should I check out ac? dunno, pc looks and feels so much nicer.

Dwayne
20-05-2015, 14:31
On a side note. I reinstalled Shift 2 and applied Dwayne's wrapper and it just worked wonders! Basically I have no input lag and no floaty feeling I used to have before, and I am rediscovering that game. Good times. :)

As for the input modes in pCars, I find that with no. 2 I get very bad understeer to the point that I have to use hand brake most of the time. Mode 3 combined with a touch of steering sensitivity (15-20) gives me good results. (All this with Dwayne's wrapper [first setting: raw input]).Should work in Shift 1 too. I still got the original DVD but don't use/have any DVD drive for a long time now so I can test it.

Regarding the wrapper, I finally managed to get split axis for Z axis for xinput devices under dinput, not that important for pad users but was for the challenge ;) Also, tested a very basic rumble effect, not game related, by linking the triggers position to rumble magnitude but should give a less flat experience.

Hope to release the new version today or tomorrow but for full rumble support by translating ffb from the game to xinput rumble I need more work/test but I got all pieces of the puzzle. Anyway, would be miles better if SMS finally patched the game to add a raw mode for xinput for the ones who like it :rolleyes:

ThaJay
20-05-2015, 14:35
After some more driving today I set up my wheel again. (It's a Logitech MOMO Racing) Disconnected it within the hour, despite the precision and everything, the unit just frustrates me. Maybe it'd be better with a 900 deg one but yea don't really care. That's not the game but just my preference.

Since I had to remove Dwaynes wrapper to get my wheel working the way I want (apart from that, no multiple controller profiles saved?), I started from scratch when I picked up the gamepad again (without wrapper). Was on mode 2, now on 3. The setting I'm using now is a lot more direct than what I used before.

So I got in the flow again, completed a season, caterham was nice enough, karts were pretty good, etc. Then I got in the Ginetta Junior and suddenly I can't even make a turn at race pace! Back to settings, had to lower speed sensitivity from 65 to 20. Really?? I get the thing has a lot more grip compared to the cars that came before, but I kind of assumed steering would be fine because it worked on those other cars.

So my suggestion is to have 'speed steering' or 'speed relative steering lock' calculated using the static lateral grip of the car. The steering speed setting would now represent a crossfade between direct and fully relative to static lateral grip. You guys can even just calculate the values for each car and hard code them because you have no upgrade system. I mean If your car can do a certain lateral G, you never want to steer much more than what's needed to reach that number.

This plus limiting counter steer to direction of travel -but getting there fast- would probably give the game a very forza like feel so I think it would please a very big part of your audience.
(both as a setting of course, for those who want it. Not advocating breaking the game for others here. But I think a lot of people want this.)

Is it worth it to post the suggestion in the proper part of the forum or would it just add clutter?

edit: @Dwayne if this is not what the devs have in mind, would it be possible to pull game telemetry to adjust the filters? and if so, can you point me in the right direction?

Gooseone
20-05-2015, 19:30
That steering lock suggestion might sound simple but it would require quite a lot of code written for it. Also there is no absolute lateral G force, it depends on the state on the track surface,
camber, tires used, etc. etc. I don't think it would be a realistic suggestion but there's nothing stopping you from posting it in the feature suggestion department.

I've read people mention that some games have adaptive speed sensitivity for each corner around each track but that would also require a major overhaul (i think at least).
I do hope that for future games some parameters of steering behavior will be informed by the physics which is now informing the Force Feedback on wheels, yet that would take quite a lot of effort.
Although an automatic understeer limiter could theoretically be implemented, it would make it impossible to turn in too much, it would make the game easier to drive but less challenging / realistic.

Dwayne
20-05-2015, 21:20
edit: @Dwayne if this is not what the devs have in mind, would it be possible to pull game telemetry to adjust the filters? and if so, can you point me in the right direction?That is out of my scope as the objective of my wrapper is to work in any racing game, not only pcars. But why don't you use raw mod if you got rotation limits depending of the car? Thought you were happy with no limitations ;)

If in raw mode you have trouble controlling the car as it can be too reactive for you try to disable all in-game filtering (speed sensibility to 0-50, speed sensibility 0, dampening 0, filtering 0 or whatever it has and set advanced on and all off.

Then when in game do a alt-tab and with the editor try different values for the parameters, save, return to the game and reload them by pressing the defined combination keys (see readme). Changes are immediately applied so it's easy to see the differences.

Personally I only use the deadzone, scaling and linearity rescaling functions (after many years of driving all kinds of racing games I came to conclusion that any rotation speed limit are not the best method to get the faster times, but to each his own).

It can be hard to fine tune them (I use a function plotter for comparing different setups) but my advise would be as a base to set a low deadzone, between 2-5, linearity between 7-9 and start with a scale at 70%. If the car understeers and you got good control around the axis center increase it till you find it's ok.

And you can set any number of presets by editing the ini. For example 1- Karts, 2-Megane, 3-Caterham etc. Then you just need to doubleclick on the desired one and reload it. (for pcars I use the same for all cars although I can punctually adjust the scale)

ThaJay
21-05-2015, 20:17
You guys have a telemetry api right? so in theory it should be possible, but writing this code would also enable third party autopilot so that sounds like a bad idea to even figure out.

I was not talking about actual lateral grip, but an arbitrary value per car to decide the steering lock per speed. Thinking about it, this value would indeed have to be calculated per condition (car/ surface/ tire/ weather, not set up) because the difference is significant. Limiting understeer (not removing) would be mostly cosmetic I think as I noticed on fully raw, very short bursts of huge understeer actually do not translate to anything bad as the car and tires do not have time to react. it just looks bad. but I could be wrong.

I did play around with your filters and it's cool what you can do with it. Will play around with them more. Had the best results with fully raw center, need high speed for oversteer correction, but a stick is not a wheel and I don't use it like one so going to have to find some middle ground.

If the forza gamepad controls are not physics related, I haven't a clue what they did do to make it so usable. purely the steering I'm talking about, everything else is good in most games. (maybe I just got brainwashed and am able to learn the same in pcars if I give it the same effort? but counter steer feels completely consistent and predictable there.)

Something else, but related:
I have used a thrustmaster run'n'drive for multiple race sims over the years. It has a 90deg wheel around the dpad (dualshock style gamepad, not 360). The wheel works great but the rest of the thing is super uncomfortable. But I read some people mention it used to be possible to use the left stick rotational as if it were a wheel with 360deg? that would be awesome and I could probably make that work nicely. any info on that?

sidenote: maybe I should just make that run n drive wheel fit a 360 controller of mine somehow. That way I'd be able to play any sim the way I want to and not get cramps after an hour.
wish they'd make a comfortable version of the run n drive. The r3e guys promoted something a while back with a wheel between the sticks, but the thing doesn't have analog triggers so it's a joke.
no tire feel in that game btw. pcars tire feel rules. :)

aye wanna dance with the car <3

jurm
23-05-2015, 23:35
The ONE controller settings in this game are messed up. The PS4 controller behaves much different than the ONE controller. I have noticed, that the stick is only used about 50% of its distance to get a full left/right steering. So 50% of the already small range of the sticks is even more reduced to only 50% of its possible range. I have not found a setting to change this behavior. So my conclusion is, that this game has for 100% sure a faulty ONE controller support, which makes playing this game near impossible as of the much to fast full left/right steering. As a result of this, we get much to simple unnatural rotation and the car breaks out and cant be held on the street anymore.

All the posted settings to not help on slow curves. There is no setting which will help here to reduce this behaviour. So please fix this isue ASAP!!!! This game makes no fun as it is yet.

(sorry for my bad englisch)

I'm having the exact same problem as you and bubblegum etc have been posting about and am also on the xbox one. That, along with the steering lock problem (where it continues to turn the wrong way) are really hurting my enjoyment of this game and what makes it double frustrating is that I bought an xbox one purely for this game. Really wish I bought a PS4 now as it doesn't seem have the same problems

Hopefully it gets fixed soon

Gooseone
24-05-2015, 08:33
I'm having the exact same problem as you and bubblegum etc have been posting about and am also on the xbox one. That, along with the steering lock problem (where it continues to turn the wrong way) are really hurting my enjoyment of this game and what makes it double frustrating is that I bought an xbox one purely for this game. Really wish I bought a PS4 now as it doesn't seem have the same problems

Hopefully it gets fixed soon

From what i've gathered they fixed the issue and the patch is going through third party testing, it's on the way.
You've read up on all the possible workarounds in the Xbox section?

@ThaJay

I'm not fully sure but controller filtering might still work when using a gamepad as a wheel, also the deadzone and steering sensitivity settings could be of use to get it more to your liking.
And it should be no issue to calibrate your Thrustmaster pad with the game, wouldn't know if Dwayne's wrapper works with it though.

Dwayne
24-05-2015, 10:59

Hopefully it gets fixed soonIf it's game related and not a calibration problem in windows, while the patch isn't released, you can try it with the xbox 360 controller emulator (http://www.x360ce.com/default.aspx). If you can configure it and sticks/buttons behave the proper way in the config app it should correctly work in game (you'll loose rumble effects tho).

Something else, but related:
I have used a thrustmaster run'n'drive for multiple race sims over the years. It has a 90deg wheel around the dpad (dualshock style gamepad, not 360). The wheel works great but the rest of the thing is super uncomfortable. But I read some people mention it used to be possible to use the left stick rotational as if it were a wheel with 360deg? that would be awesome and I could probably make that work nicely. any info on that?Don't know if I understood correctly but instead of using the "mini wheel" you want to use the left joystick of your gamepad? If so didn't you try to remap the steer controls in controller options?

NIN
24-05-2015, 14:37
Just testing new controller settings:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzRV5M4yIEc

booboo640
25-05-2015, 11:47
That is awesome info and a massive help. Chasing the perfect controller setup has been like chasing the perfect setup for a car and it's been a both frustrating and rewarding experience.
Most of my experience has come from GT ( I've played both 1-5, I didn't bother with 6 since I figured it would be the same as 1-5 ). Man has Project cars been a harsh reality check.
One problem I have is that I both analog and tap the stick.

Gooseone
25-05-2015, 14:30
You both analog and tap the stick?
Well, even though i do not fully understand, it will probably not look like the clip above your post, yet that's no big deal.
I have also gone through quite a learning curve yet that mainly had to do with moving from chase cam to cockpit cam during the shift series.
With a chase cam i guess people are more inclined to rely on speed sensitivity to prevent them from steering to much into the corner, when using a cockpit view you can use the wheel as a gauge.
If i set everything up to my liking in cockpit view i have a hard time with the chase cam. (as things are now anyway).

Anyway, how is your way current way of driving a problem and, how do you actually drive?

NIN
27-05-2015, 14:25
That is easily solved with x360ce emulator (http://www.x360ce.com/default.aspx) ;) Only little problem is that you'll probably don't get any vibration effects. Effects are supported by the XBCD driver but somehow x360ce don't seem to translate them.

Can you pls explain this m8. I just cant get x360 options in onther games with x360ce and constant deleting/installing xbcd for pCARS is pain in the ass.

And just up to date thsi problem: Pls SMS fix this stupid steering speed for gamepad and give us raw output.

Dwayne
27-05-2015, 22:43
Can you pls explain this m8. I just cant get x360 options in onther games with x360ce and constant deleting/installing xbcd for pCARS is pain in the ass.

And just up to date thsi problem: Pls SMS fix this stupid steering speed for gamepad and give us raw output.Why don't you use my wrapper (http://sourceforge.net/projects/dxace/)? ;)

NIN
28-05-2015, 01:03
Immm.. I dont know how to do that. If I putt all files in pCars folder (not 64bit .dll) and start x86, I get same steering speed, its not raw. If I put 64bit files, my left stick dont work and if I map steering on the right stick, I get same steering speed. If I press log buttons and start the game (64bit), I have no functions on the controller at all.

Dwayne
28-05-2015, 13:49
Immm.. I dont know how to do that. If I putt all files in pCars folder (not 64bit .dll) and start x86, I get same steering speed, its not raw. If I put 64bit files, my left stick dont work and if I map steering on the right stick, I get same steering speed. If I press log buttons and start the game (64bit), I have no functions on the controller at all.Seems that your gamepad weren't faked so the game still detects it as a xinput device. If it's that follow the instructions in the readme (maybe I have to update it to be more clear, writing a proper readme is what's takes more time ;)).

If you still couldn't get it working then it's better if we try to solve the issue in the discussion (http://sourceforge.net/p/dxace/discussion/) section of my page as to not fill this thread with off-topic (got my share already :o)

NIN
28-05-2015, 17:31
F*** it. I go back to XBCD. I tried all combinations, I red your readme but or it does not work or I get that default steering speed. But when i start the game, I get two warning sounds from the windows with that dx ACE mode.

But nevermind, I'll wait for update and fixes from SMS. Thank you anyway.

Dwayne
28-05-2015, 21:53
F*** it. I go back to XBCD. I tried all combinations, I red your readme but or it does not work or I get that default steering speed. But when i start the game, I get two warning sounds from the windows with that dx ACE mode.

But nevermind, I'll wait for update and fixes from SMS. Thank you anyway.I sent you a PM, as to keep the thread clean of off-topic :)

Darkman007
04-06-2015, 08:35
Hi there, i have this problem, and i foun reason, see video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziwpCvyTYEc

But, how i can turn on the "Old Dampening" in release version of game? How i can go into this debug menu?:)

Bealdor
04-06-2015, 08:38
Hi there, i have this problem, and i foun reason, see video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziwpCvyTYEc

But, how i can turn on the "Old Dampening" in release version of game? How i can go into this debug menu?:)

You can't. The debug menu is a developer tool that is not available in the release version.

Darkman007
04-06-2015, 08:46
Bealdor, and how i can solve this problem with jumping and sticking wheel on zero position?

Bruno Alexandre
04-06-2015, 09:30
Wheel sticking should no longer be present, can you provide a video Darkman?

Bealdor
04-06-2015, 09:32
Wheel sticking should no longer be present, can you provide a video Darkman?

Could this have to do with that he's apparently using mouse steering?

Bruno Alexandre
04-06-2015, 09:48
Could this have to do with that he's apparently using mouse steering?

If i recall Steve fix was an overall one, so it should not be affecting anything. He could try to switch between presets (example switch to 2 and back to the one used) to see if it helps.

Bealdor
04-06-2015, 10:20
If i recall Steve fix was an overall one, so it should not be affecting anything. He could try to switch between presets (example switch to 2 and back to the one used) to see if it helps.

FYI this seems to be a known issue:

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?22315-Known-Issues-Collective-Thread-%28PC%29-Not-for-bug-reporting!-Updated-03-06

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?22373-Mouse-steering-deadzone

Darkman007
04-06-2015, 11:11
Yes, shure, here the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFtAXQIONZk

Control by mouse, make moving without stopping, but wheel sticking in zero position ...

Bealdor, thanks for links, very interesting, but is not decision unfortunately. Problem is about deadzone, and "apply old dampening" is off this deadzone totally?

Bruno Alexandre
04-06-2015, 16:25
I will have a look at it tomorrow morning.

Gooseone
04-06-2015, 20:48
This could also explain why i liked center sensitivity way better with old dampening.
Although not as prominent with a gamepad, it appears to be the transition between a steering speed value and the to center value which is giving a slight delay / jerk.

It's quite prominent if you set steering sensitivity to 0 so the way the 'to center' speed value interacts with the input curve is at fault here.

Come on, make a few nagging gamepad players and the mouse steering crowd happy by enabling old dampening on input mode 1, nobody uses that one anyway; it's actually completely redundant at this point.
(If you decide to make good use of input mode 1, don't forget to keep the circular deadzone enabled ;) ).

Dwayne
04-06-2015, 21:41
Yes, shure, here the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFtAXQIONZk

Control by mouse, make moving without stopping, but wheel sticking in zero position ...

Bealdor, thanks for links, very interesting, but is not decision unfortunately. Problem is about deadzone, and "apply old dampening" is off this deadzone totally?Again SMS limiting players ;) Good intentions for sure but ends up frustrating some players.

Mouse configuration is a bit off-topic :rolleyes: but since a possible solution is similar to gamepads I'll post my findings:

When I searched a solution for gamepads I tried the virtual joystick workaround but it didn't fit my needs so I pursued another method, but for mouses it should work.

So since I knew what to search for, I did a quick search and this solution (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUM62d27QQ4) appeared in first google links (use at your own risk :cool:, did not tested nor searched for any malware)

Problem is that ppjoy don't have signed drivers (it's discontinued now) so it can be annoying to set it up. Another solution would be using the alternative vJoy with a feeder like FreePIE (mmm) but you'll have to write your script or search for one on the net (did a quick search, tested a couple of them but none seemed to work very well)

Darkman007
05-06-2015, 07:10
Again SMS limiting players ;) Good intentions for sure but ends up frustrating some players.

Mouse configuration is a bit off-topic :rolleyes: but since a possible solution is similar to gamepads I'll post my findings:

When I searched a solution for gamepads I tried the virtual joystick workaround but it didn't fit my needs so I pursued another method, but for mouses it should work.

So since I knew what to search for, I did a quick search and this solution (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUM62d27QQ4) appeared in first google links (use at your own risk :cool:, did not tested nor searched for any malware)

Problem is that ppjoy don't have signed drivers (it's discontinued now) so it can be annoying to set it up. Another solution would be using the alternative vJoy with a feeder like FreePIE (mmm) but you'll have to write your script or search for one on the net (did a quick search, tested a couple of them but none seemed to work very well)

MAN, Thanks a lot! :) This spending more times for set up, but it's worth it. Now i feel project cars like a super game! :) yeah!
I must confess that for a long time I used to ppjoy for playing in NFS Shift, but now has forgotten about it.

AAAnd, i hope, that devs fix (like said in video) this "stupid centred point" :)

Bruno Alexandre
05-06-2015, 10:08
Oh ok i see it now, it's not a steering lock, just the center position. We added this to prevent weaving when in a straight line, if you begin building up momentum while doing so the most likely result will be a crash or spinning out of control.

We'll see if it is possible to add an option to enable/disable it but can't make any promises as it's something that might break the experience for other non-wheel users.

Gooseone
05-06-2015, 14:49
Oh ok i see it now, it's not a steering lock, just the center position. We added this to prevent weaving when in a straight line, if you begin building up momentum while doing so the most likely result will be a crash or spinning out of control.

We'll see if it is possible to add an option to enable/disable it but can't make any promises as it's something that might break the experience for other non-wheel users.

Is that something different then the speed with which the steering centers and has it perhaps been implemented at a time when the physics were not what they are now?

Darkman007
05-06-2015, 15:57

Just do this option only when player choose mouse steering :)

Gooseone
05-06-2015, 18:11
Just do this option only when player choose mouse steering :)

Hej! not so fast, it could very well be that i want it too on a gamepad ;)

MULTIVITZ
12-06-2015, 08:17

What do you mean building momentum, then crash! Its called a scandanavian flick, a good setup allows control without crashing. So you're telling me the developers put a thumb stick filter in place that slows down the centre/swing speed to stop fools crashing but hinders fast steering? What are they playing at?

Ok those remarks may have been a bit too hasty. I've found the controller mode 2 with no steering deadzone, 35-65 speed, but with 85 steering sensitivity works well. Filtering on 35. My advance is on but everything turned off. Direct and reactive but not too twitchy with the Formula C on fast steering ratio. I haven't tried it with my other cars, I hope they don't need a retune!

Lwerewolf
28-06-2015, 14:35
...and can make you crash when you're trying to control a playful car/setup. With a large mousepad and low sensitivity/dpi there's enough fine control :)

Enabled by default, disabled via advanced options. Shouldn't "break" anything for anybody.

Tortuosit
29-06-2015, 04:01
After hours of testing different modes and settings for my XBox 360 controller, also using Dwaynes wrapper, now after reading this thread I can clearly say: I am exhausted. I know nothing any more. I think I am a birch tree born in the wrong body of a sword fish, but I am not sure. I need a break and eat some planets.

Gooseone
29-06-2015, 12:54
After hours of testing different modes and settings for my XBox 360 controller, also using Dwaynes wrapper, now after reading this thread I can clearly say: I am exhausted. I know nothing any more. I think I am a birch tree born in the wrong body of a sword fish, but I am not sure. I need a break and eat some planets.

You wimp! ( ;) ).
I signed up for Pcars2 just to experience it again!

DusterBuster
09-09-2015, 08:47
Hi,
are there any News to the raw steering speed for controllers?

fahadj2003
16-09-2015, 14:15
so DS3 users out there, go ds3 settings and map controller (i selected xinput)
change the deadzone from there to whatever ur controllers deadzone is.. i set it to 7, coz at 6 and below, the analogue stutters when its centered..
and change the l2/r2 analogue to digital from 25 to 2.. then go to control panel and calibrate ur controller.. it is important that when it asks u to move the analogue/l2 r2 triggers, move then from min to max very slowly so all the range of input is detected (it makes a difference)
after uve fixed the deadzones and trigger sensitivity and calibrated, it time to move to pcars..

i set my filtering to 0, frankly it doesnt stutter for me.. but since it detects all the input, steering is actually smoother and fairly sensitive than filtering it out..
i set the steering deadzone to 10, throttle to 10.. brake deadzone and other sensitivities to 0.. input mode to 2 (i'll get on that too)
(my playing style is having full control of the steering with minimum deadlock except when im at high speed (even that is 55% which i think is standard for input mode 2)

so i tested all 3 input modes and turned down all the other settings (deadzones, sensitivity, speed sensitivity etc)
what i noticed was that in mode 3, sensitity at slow and fast is low in general..
in mode 1, general sensitivity is slightly higher amd decreasing as u speed.. with mode 2, its the most sensitive at slowspeed and reduced to high at highspeed.. (this is when all other settings are 0)
so look for a tutorial where someone suggests to use a bmw procar i think on impala (forgot the tracks name).. he puts on a good tutorial on how to calibrate to ur needs..
and first, bring all settings down to 0 and play with input modes, then bring up the sensitivy settings from 0 on which ever input mode u find is most suited for ur driving style..

and honestly, its better to calibrate ur controller outside of the game before tweaking the game itself..

deadboy
22-09-2015, 08:36
Old dampening is there guys, they simply don't want to give it to us, deal with that.
The reason behind this decision is unknown, though I suspect it's because they hate me and don't want to see me happy. :rolleyes:
But I still hope they'll change their mind in a near future. We'll see.

Meanwhile I want to point a bug:

The Advanced Settings go back to their default values when restarting the game.
In preset 2 if I turn ON the advanced options to disable the soft steering and enable the visual filtering, these settings go back to default after I restart the game.
Soft steering is always enabled by default when you restart the game.

DarrenMcMS
18-10-2015, 15:14
Having all sorts of problems getting the motion control to work.Might stick withthe sticks.
Spent hours not playing the game just stuffing around with settings to no avail.
Motion has a ton of latency and also ,in slow corners ,the carts turn like a bus.

Been tampering around but can't find any setting which works.

NIN
26-10-2015, 19:10
Did they ever FIX this issue with steering speed ???? Because I report this problem a long time a go, here: http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?22315-Known-Issues-Collective-Thread-(PC)-Not-for-bug-reporting!-Updated-10-10&p=887824&viewfull=1#post887824

They putt that issue on the "to do" list and then they remove it from the list:

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?22315-Known-Issues-Collective-Thread-(PC)-Not-for-bug-reporting!-Updated-10-10&p=886418&viewfull=1#post886418

..but not fixed ?? What the hell ? Why did you remove it if you put it on "to do post" in the first place ???

I'm ok with ACE editor..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqKn2CwbXIo

..but FF, vibration is missing and speed sensitivity is not in sync so I need to remove virtual steering wheel because it's annoying. Ppl on consoles cant even have alternative with ACE editor.

Benja190782
17-11-2015, 18:41
^^
What exactly is the controller settings in this video?

Olijke Poffer
29-03-2016, 21:04
Does anybody have experience with use of controller motion for steering? I would love to buy pcars for the ps4 when this works good? I have pcars for the xbox but just sold my TX wheel.
Today I discoverd with driveclub you can steer by using the controller tilt motion. Works really great. I noticed a video on youtube where this tilt motion is used to steer with pcars on a PS4 but I don't know if this works well.

Any input on this?

phinn
09-09-2016, 15:22
Does anybody have experience with use of controller motion for steering? I would love to buy pcars for the ps4 when this works good? I have pcars for the xbox but just sold my TX wheel.
Today I discoverd with driveclub you can steer by using the controller tilt motion. Works really great. I noticed a video on youtube where this tilt motion is used to steer with pcars on a PS4 but I don't know if this works well.

Any input on this?

Yes motion control works well with the PS4 controller (Dualshock 4), it's very responsive but does take some getting used to when you first enable it. Overall it's a pretty cool way to play and also you will get more stable framerate on PS4 compared to X1. I've also plugged the Dualshock4 into PC and used the motion control there for some games, good results there too (with www.DS4Windows.com app). PS4 is a great PC controller too because the touchpad emulates a mouse so you never need to touch the mouse for menus/etc.