PDA

View Full Version : Problems With Audio (Crackling/Popping)

TripleBBB93
08-05-2015, 00:36
I am having issues with my audio, particularly when I make mistakes which lead to scenarios in which I would expect higher volume (i.e. redlining, crashing, going off track). When in redline (even by a little bit) I am getting a lot of crackling/popping in the sound. This is very noticeable if I downshift and end up redlining. When I go off track, the sound quality is quite poor and doesn't sound like any game play videos I have watched. I would say the overall sound experience is poorer than the game play videos I have watched, but is particularly bad when redlining. Basically anytime there is a spike in sound, I get the crackling (can also be described as sounding like a blown speaker though I know the speakers are fine).

Setup is Win 7, Core i5-3570k and 970 GPU connected to a Denon receiver through HDMI. No overclocking. This computer is usually used as my HTPC and I have absolutely no problems playing movies through KODI into full surround sound or playing itunes into stereo.

I have also tried using headphones plugged into the motherboard headphone jack, but the problem continues to exist.

This is my first pc game and the first time I have used Steam so I am unable to tell if there is a problem with other games. I have used the system to play Dolphine wii emulator, but only for wii sports and I have had no sound issues.

More detail and things I have tried:
All sound enhancements are turned off
I have lowered all the volumes within the game
I have lowered the volume within sound settings in Windows
I have tried on my desktop computer (i7 2600k, 560ti) through the attached speakers with all low visual settings and have the same problem
Drivers are all up to date
If I watch a replay of my gameplay, the sound problems are still there.

I upgraded my GPU from a 660ti to the 970 in hopes of solving the problem, but it has not helped (though on the bright side I know have much higher settings and lower temps on my motherboard).

Yes, yes, I know if I drive better I can avoid redlining and going off track to improve the audio experience, but even with this I feel like the quality is not 100%.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Beans
08-05-2015, 01:20
I can tell you the sound quality for the game is very good! :) My experience with what you describe has is usually been driver related, although a bad connection can certainly cause it. What drivers are you using? Creative drivers has given me issues before. Usually they have gotten corrupted somehow and reinstalling them fixed the problem. I have never actually had a game or app. be the problem as you describe.

TripleBBB93
08-05-2015, 02:07
What drivers are you using?

I have three audio drivers showing up in the device manager, NVIDIA High Definition Audio, NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device (Wave Extensible) (WDM) and Realtek High Definition Audio. The NVIDIA drivers were automatically installed when I installed the new video card. The realtek driver is part of my Asus motherboard and is the latest driver. I uninstalled the realtek driver, reinstalled it and tried my headset again, but continue to get the crackling both with the headset and through my stereo.

Roger Lee
08-05-2015, 02:14
On board sound cards usually have pretty bad quality.

TripleBBB93
08-05-2015, 02:47
On board sound cards usually have pretty bad quality.

Agreed, and I never use it (though I have here in the process of trying to isolate the problem). I use the hdmi out to my receiver. My typical use for this computer is as an HTPC running KODI. I bitstream all the audio to the Denon receiver and let it decode whether it be Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD, Stereo, etc. When I use headphones, I plug them directly into the receiver rather than the computer (I don't use a headset with a microphone for any gaming I have previously done on my XBOX One).

As further experimentation I have played with the settings within the Denon receiver changing the surround mode through various options (stereo, direct, standard) but it has had no effect so I am leaving it on Standard. I have my computer sound settings set at 5.1 so I can have a more immersive sound experience with the game. I have tried it on stereo as well, but had the same issue. Given I have the same issue whether using the onboard sound or sending it through my stereo, I feel like it must be some sort of setting within my computer.

Morgan Henstridge
08-05-2015, 02:59
You can right click on the Speaker in the task bar and select Playback Devices.
Select your device / output and then click Properties.

Check what the Default Format is set to.

Also check the Levels set in there.

You may also have an app in the Control Panel that is specific to the audio hardware, This may have separate Level control and "enhancements" that may be affecting this.

Beans
08-05-2015, 03:05
I'm sorry to hear about your problem, but honestly, my mind would be blown if the game was causing this. I have HTPC and use the Motherboard HDMI out for the Video and Audio. Do you use the HDMI out of the 970 for audio and video passing it through the Denon? Wondering if you should disable onboard audio in BIOS.

TripleBBB93
08-05-2015, 03:54
Check what the Default Format is set to.

The default device is the Denon-AVAMP-4 through the NVIDIA high definition audio. Levels are set at 100, though I have tried lowering these to no effect. Enhancements are all disabled. And under Advanced, the default format is 16 bit, 48000 Hz (DVD Quality), though I have tried changing this to 16 bit 44100 (CD Quality) to no effect.

Do you use the HDMI out of the 970 for audio and video passing it through the Denon? Wondering if you should disable onboard audio in BIOS.

I am using HDMI out from my 970 for audio and video to the Denon. I could easily use the onboard HDMI out to the Denon for the HTPC, but I added a graphics card (660ti, now the 970) in order to run the Dolphin wii emulator. I disabled the onboard audio in the bios and lowered the levels within the default format and it had no effect. As an HTPC everything continues to run smoothly, so I will probably just keep the onboard audio disabled.

I agree that it is probably not the game causing the issue, but some setting within my computer. I have used both of my computers to run XMBC/KODI so I wonder if there is there something there that has caused a problem.

Until I figure this out, I guess this means I have to drive better, though I appreciate your ideas as I attempt to troubleshoot this issue.

turbohondaej1
08-05-2015, 04:14
Did you check for updated drivers yet? Also I think I had a similar problem to this I'm not sure exactly but my motherboard software installed some bs audio app making it default instead of windows you might see if that is an issue.

Morgan Henstridge
08-05-2015, 04:40
It almost sounds like there is some software amplification happening at the PC / Driver, but you would then expect this to be consistent across other Apps / music / movies on the PC.

It is a real head-scratcher.

Beans
08-05-2015, 05:03
Well. I didn't know what a Dolphin emulator was so I looked it up. This is a quote from the home page "Most games run perfectly or with minor bugs" ha, ha. I'm not being mean or anything, but now I can't help but wonder if there might be a conflict to some degree.

deadboy
08-05-2015, 06:41
A Dolphin emulator is used to run Nintendo console games on pc. I guess he's using his HTPC also as a game machine. I don't think that having it just installed and not running can cause conflicts of any kind. It has to be something in his audio software setup.

TripleBBB93
08-05-2015, 07:00
Did you check for updated drivers yet?

All drivers are updated and I'm not seeing any other software that could be causing an issue. I have seen others with issues from ASUS, but these seem to be from laptops and I don't have any of those programs installed.

It almost sounds like there is some software amplification happening at the PC / Driver, but you would then expect this to be consistent across other Apps / music / movies on the PC.

Agreed. But not sure what it could be.

but now I can't help but wonder if there might be a conflict to some degree

I don't think that having it just installed and not running can cause conflicts of any kind. It has to be something in his audio software setup.

I wouldn't expect Dolphin to be interfering as it is not running, but it seems like something is causing a conflict. Also, correct in that my HTPC is also being used as a gaming machine. It was built first and foremost as an HTPC with Dolphin capability as a fun aside, but with PCARS I wanted to use it for more. I think my next step will be to do a clean install of windows, install only steam and project cars and see what happens.

Monologue
08-05-2015, 09:27
Hi

I would just like to add my experience with this issue to the thread.

I have the exact same problem.

A weird crackling noise, as if running with high latency, but only at specific places.

It only happens with car sounds, but not all cars.

It doesnt happen in a kart. Ever.

Tried Formula A cars, no issue either.

But all the Road Cars, and GT cars I have driven, has the crackling sound.

At low revs it seems rarer, and only happens when you change gear, intermittently.

As soon as you hit around 7 or 8k revs, the crackling starts.

I have tried pretty much anything I can think of to try and fix the problem, including the same steps as the OP.

I have no issues with any other games.

Very Strange.

Attached DX Diag info.

TripleBBB93
09-05-2015, 01:52
It doesnt happen in a kart. Ever.

Tried Formula A cars, no issue either.

I too was fine in kart, but Formula A was no good.

I went ahead and did a full clean install of Win 7, only installed all windows updates, necessary drivers and finally Steam and PCARS. Here are my findings:

Sound through my stereo is better, though there are still instances when the sound doesn't seem quite right (always when volume is spiking). Specific instances include aggressively downshifting and smashing into redline, holding down the accelerator without shifting up (though this is improved over my previous experience) and when slightly in redline while driving on a rumble strip or hitting some sort of bump. While slightly in redline is fine, that extra boost in sound from the rumble strip seems to put it over the top.

Additional information, I did all this with both 100% and lowered levels (to about 80%) in the windows volume mixer and also have my Denon receiver at levels well below volumes I listen to either music of movies so I am confident it is not an issue with my stereo.

I also tried my headphones without actually downloading the realtek drivers and the sound is quite poor at all levels. At this point, I'm probably going to just disable the onboard sound and not worry about it at all as I can always plug headphones into my stereo.

So at this point the bottom line for me is the experience is better, yet doesn't quite seem perfect. However, I'm not sure what else I can do. I am going to "dirty" up my machine by downloading my other programs (KODI, Dolphin and iTunes) and move on to trying to figure out my controller settings and improving my driving. However, if anyone has any ideas or want me to try something, let me know and I will give it a shot.

Thanks

121mcv
19-08-2015, 10:23
I just had the same problem, I'm using the LG 34UB67 B monitor speakers. I have the monitor connected to my laptop via hdmi. I did a sound test by right clicking the sound card on the task bar, I did the monitor first and the problem was present I then tested the laptop speakers the problem was not present, so it was clear it was a monitor issue. I used the monitor settings and changed the output to a different channel OKed it then changed it back again. the problem has now gone. In my case it was an interface issue. This is somewhat worrisome as the monitor is only 1 week old