PDA

View Full Version : [No] Multiplayer region locked?

Soup4you2
08-05-2015, 01:43
It seems that multiplayer is region locked on steam, If I use my normal download server in steam to "Washington DC" I see at best 2 online games, however if I select "UK - London" there's dozens. There has to be a better way of doing this.

Personally at some point I would personally like to see a list of All games, with a ping rating to aide me in finding a decent host/server.

Av8r
08-05-2015, 02:07
Give it a few updates, Personally I would love to see STEAM taken out of the picture and an in-game way of doing stuff.

dominiczeth
08-05-2015, 06:25
That's a steam thing. It searches only games with acceptable pings based on the server location. But you can search with name or can join friends even if you don't see the server in the list.

Elmo
08-05-2015, 07:41
It is not really a region lock, since you always can join your friends session through invite or the Friends List function (click "Join Game" on your friends option). No matter what region they are.

But not all sessions are visible for everybody, plus there is a limit on how many lobbies can be displayed. Just use the filter in the MP Browser.

ironik
08-05-2015, 08:45
Maybe try to change steam settings. Let it believe you're in UK for example.

FatnSlo
08-05-2015, 14:54
So in games like RRRE, AC, GT6 I can choose and play on servers in the UK and Europe (I am in the USA) with no lag, but I cannot in Project Cars without changing the region in Steam? That kinda sucks. Is it always going to be this way?

Elmo
08-05-2015, 15:06
So in games like RRRE, AC, GT6 I can choose and play on servers in the UK and Europe (I am in the USA) with no lag, but I cannot in Project Cars without changing the region in Steam? That kinda sucks. Is it always going to be this way?

You can play with people from the other side of the pond. We do this on a regular basis. You just need one person in the lobby to be your Steam Friends and you can join them with two clicks.

hawkenfox
08-05-2015, 18:29
But how do you meet these people in the first place if you never met them before. The reason online game is online is so that people around the world could

meet up and have fun. Or should we start a friend ship list on the forum so anyone who is willing to make new friends could just add them.

Kinda stupid the way it's designed at the moment. Reinventing the wheel isn't gonna make it a better wheel.

nhitrac
09-05-2015, 10:39
But how do you meet these people in the first place if you never met them before. The reason online game is online is so that people around the world could

meet up and have fun. Or should we start a friend ship list on the forum so anyone who is willing to make new friends could just add them.

Kinda stupid the way it's designed at the moment. Reinventing the wheel isn't gonna make it a better wheel.

No you're wrong, it's not kinda stupid. It's very stupid.

I was wondering why I had only one server with four players showing :confused:

Just list all available servers worldwide and let the user pick which server they want to join.

AOD_RTMPro
09-05-2015, 11:21
Just list all available servers worldwide and let the user pick which server they want to join.

Yes! Please do!!!

Here in New Zealand, I see ZERO SERVERS! Zip, Zilch, Nada

Elmo
09-05-2015, 11:27
Yes! Please do!!!

We discussing internally how to improve the situation.

-SRM- Dino
09-05-2015, 15:03
[No servers are available] here neither, on steam i have selected (UK-London) but i don't see dozens i see nothing is says [no servers are available]..

Elmo
09-05-2015, 15:17
Could you guys check if you are forwarding the ports recommended by Steam (https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=8571-GLVN-8711&l=english)?

Steam Client
UDP 27000 to 27015 inclusive (Game client traffic)
UDP 27015 to 27030 inclusive (Typically Matchmaking and HLTV)
UDP 4380

Steamworks P2P Networking and Steam Voice Chat
UDP 3478 (Outbound)
UDP 4379 (Outbound)
UDP 4380 (Outbound)

hurricane
09-05-2015, 23:06
Yes! Please do!!!

I agree not a single MP game to be seen. think I might have to get this for the ps4 so I can play MP kinda sucks this

fyr krakaa
10-05-2015, 08:54
I am in Australia, could not understand why mp was so sparse during development until now discovered this steam region situation . This morning no servers if set my steam download region correctly to Aust. Changed to London, 49 servers, changed to US 29 servers different to UK servers. WTF it took me over a year to discover this obscure but vital detail ,Thanks to Race Department web site. People who pay good money in Australia need to be aware of this issue for online competition.

MJP
10-05-2015, 10:37
[No servers are available] here neither, on steam i have selected (UK-London) but i don't see dozens i see nothing is says [no servers are available]..

^^^ Frankly this says it all, he's in the UK, selected UK, it's mid afternoon on the weekend, games only been out a couple of days, hell it appears as though there's more people streaming the game on Twitch than there seems to be MP servers.

Steve Dean
10-05-2015, 10:47

Hey Dino do you have uPnP enabled on router that's all I have enabled and steam region believe is set to Manchester and haven't had an issue seeing or playing MP sessions.
I haven't forwarded any steam or game ports.

-SRM- Dino
10-05-2015, 20:47
Hi Steve. Yeah I've got that enabled and I tried to change my DL city to Manchester just to try but nothing i still get that box saying no servers are available... Cheers for the tip..

sergio8325
10-05-2015, 22:23
I am from Colombia and i tryed to go online but due to this region stuff i am not able to find any match. please fix this.

-SRM- Dino
10-05-2015, 22:36
I am from Colombia and i tryed to go online but due to this region stuff i am not able to find any match. please fix this.

did you try to change your Downloads (region) to a different one in Steam settings? Many people seam to solve it by doing so..

Synergist
10-05-2015, 22:51
The multiplayer server browser needs improvements. In-game region selection / filtering needs to be introduced (tickboxes would be better, as you could exclude certain territories due to high ping, e.g. Australasia, but search all others). Also favourites - where you can make a list of favourite players, then see if they're racing and join them in-game without having to message them in Steam (because they may just be playing career, but Steam just says "in game").

Binding F5 to refresh the server list would be a nice touch, the refresh icon is tiny and not obvious.

Why can't we sort the columns by clicking the headers? I might want to arrange by number of people in server...

bozza72
11-05-2015, 07:31
changing server settings in steam didn't work for me & i still see no multi player servers available. also in New Zealand

barf
11-05-2015, 07:51
Also reporting no games found, from in New Zealand.

Sure it's just a bug but even as a feature this goes against the principle of pCars being a global stage!

shaider_516
11-05-2015, 09:09
they should display all servers and pings/quality per server.

Nomac55
11-05-2015, 13:10
How was this sever browser issue overlooked it driving mp players away fast.... Disappointed in that but I can work around it myself.

dominiczeth
11-05-2015, 13:25
It isn't a gameissue. It's an issue with steam, thats how steam mp works.

hawkenfox
11-05-2015, 19:05
No you're wrong, it's not kinda stupid. It's very stupid.

I was wondering why I had only one server with four players showing :confused:

Exactly my point actually ... it's not making sense, it's like not making a better model of the

online gaming experience.

hawkenfox
11-05-2015, 19:10
It isn't a gameissue. It's an issue with steam, thats how steam mp works.

How convinent to blame it on steam. So how did valve online FPS do it? Have you really found out how steam works...

I doubt so ... the way valve Counter Strike servers search list and formatting have been doing that 10 years ago. They should

not hook their server discovering code to steam region , duh!

changing server settings in steam didn't work for me & i still see no multi player servers available. also in New Zealand

These are the steps I took to see some populated list in UK, as a temporary workaround the

silly design. Check it out and see if it works.

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?22383-HELP-NEEDED-Multiplayer-Server-list-EMPTY

bozza72
12-05-2015, 01:47
How convinent to blame it on steam. So how did valve online FPS do it? Have you really found out how steam works...

I doubt so ... the way valve Counter Strike servers search list and formatting have been doing that 10 years ago. They should

These are the steps I took to see some populated list in UK, as a temporary workaround the

silly design. Check it out and see if it works.

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?22383-HELP-NEEDED-Multiplayer-Server-list-EMPTY

thank you i did follow these instructions yesterday and nothing yet i did it again just now and i get a message that steam will need to restart and voila its fix and i can go online yay........ now if someone can tell me how to control that pesky 250 kart all will be well in my world.

-SRM- Dino
12-05-2015, 14:17
Well guys my issue have been solved by reinstalling STEAM and all the games i had on it.. I can now see plenty of servers..!
Might take sometime but if u havent got other solutions this might be your best bet.. (So in the end it seam it was a Steam issue and not pCars itself, Dominic Schoenberner was wright..↑)

Luiz Boni
13-05-2015, 00:25
So this sim was made by a WORLWIDE COMUNITY OF SIMRACING LOVERS, and you can't jolin them because you are, say, in Brazil, like me?
Or join only one of a few brazilian servers there are?
Really, I don't understand software programmers...where do they have their mind at?

It's so obvious that this is NOT the way to deal with MP!
Just do like rF2, AC and ALL other games...
WHY don't you?

dominiczeth
13-05-2015, 06:16

True but pCars use p2p Steamworks. This works different from Dedicated Servers. Most server atm are only p2p seesions.

NIN
13-05-2015, 10:53
Any tricks how can steam show servers from all region ? I'm from Europa and I'm using download servers from Germany and I can see 20-something servers top (in this moment, 16)! That's just lame.

Steve Dean
13-05-2015, 16:39
Any tricks how can steam show servers from all region ? I'm from Europa and I'm using download servers from Germany and I can see 20-something servers top (in this moment, 16)! That's just lame.

Don't think there are any tricks would be handy if steam had a global setting but it doesn't, I also think that the browser will only show a certain amount of lobbies as well not sure on the amount though.

F1r3HD
13-05-2015, 20:24
I seriously hope there's a fix for this soon.. very inconvenient for MP

Gehzilla
14-05-2015, 00:15
Thats ridicolous.......

darkknight66
14-05-2015, 01:13
I am new to PC gaming, so please be kind. How do you change your region so there are more lobbies? I live in US and there are only 4-6 with as few as 20 players at any given time? would like to try this online but seems no one is playing it in my region?

Gehzilla
14-05-2015, 01:24
Go into your Steamsettings - Download..and choose different region...hope it helps ;-)

darkknight66
14-05-2015, 01:27
Go into your Steamsettings - Download..and choose different region...hope it helps ;-)

thank you so much for the info.

HDBanger
14-05-2015, 01:40
Yes this is ridiculous. Today there were 5 servers when my download was set to local. I set it to London and wham, 56 servers loaded with people. I joined a few of them and raced, no problems at all. I would have otherwise just shut the game off and did something else if I hadn't run across this thread. This and the way setups are handled along with paints, is a letdown, even games over 10 years old had better systems. A lot of the stuff I see in the game just cannot be from the community, we are smarter than this. I don't understand wth the devs were thinking. My only logical conclusion is that the game was just plain dumbed down for the consoles.

NEPALII
14-05-2015, 15:59
This is ridiculous. I can never see more than half a dozen lobbies available and sometimes I only have a lobby or 2 available. Why SMS made the multiplayer region-locked is beyond me. I can't race with an European community. Please, fix it!

Luiz Boni
15-05-2015, 00:29

I can't do that, cause my country's currency is not US DOLLAR, says Steam!
Brazil uses REAL, so I have to "stay" in a region that uses REAL, that being Brazil only!

Also, someone up here said MP is restricted to your local area due to p2p at Steam?
How come I can see HUNDERDS of servers - and join them at any time - on Asseto Corsa???

MtrSkllz
15-05-2015, 22:34
Philadelphia region here. Usually about 10-15 people online total, maybe 4 lobbies. really hoping they get this figured out.

NIN
16-05-2015, 11:08
I set for download server: UK London. 40-60 servers at the time. I think this is the best choice. However, region lock is ridiculous. Just give us list of servers in steam like this:

http://pokit.org/get/img/f2ec8a304bb31e636eefd10907181f56.jpg

protie
18-05-2015, 20:03
...Personally I would love to see STEAM taken out of the picture and an in-game way of doing stuff.

Yeah, that would be great.

NIN
19-05-2015, 13:01
^Well, that's a solution.

HBR-Roadhog
22-05-2015, 14:03
I played around with it a bit a few days ago. By default I was on Charlotte server and there would be anywhere from 3-5 lobbies going. I switched it to Philly and there were 5 or 6 there different ones of course and switched to N.Y. and there was 6 or 7 there then London where there was 56 showing.

It is really a major hassle to have to go to steam and change regions like 5 or 6 times just to see the various lobbies that are up within 500 miles or so of where I live. It would really be good if there was something in the game that would let us have a list of regions to search without having to go and change our steam settings over and over again to try and find a lobby.

While there were several in London there is a 5 hr time difference which can be an issue for finding a lobby at the time I might want to race. 9 PM here is 2 AM there so not a lot of activity.

Arkymedes
22-05-2015, 17:34
Yeah, and taking Steam away from the picture is not a good solution because Steam is not the problem!

All the other games that use SteamWorks are absolutely fine with it as the screenshot provided up there proves. I personally play many Valve games like Counter-Strike and Team Fortress 2 and the system is almost perfect. But for some weird reason Project Cars really messed up the way to find games online. It's absolutely vital for the community to find other people to play in Multiplayer. I seriously cannot understand the decisions made that led to this.

ReddSteele
22-05-2015, 17:53
For the time being, we should have a sticky telling all PC players to change their download region to the UK. I do this all the time with GRID Autosport and it's the only way the community stays together. It's the best solution we can do until Slightly Mad does something to change how the game finds servers.

Gehzilla
23-05-2015, 02:39
Steam has a solution, it called LAN Event. There are 3 Servers for Lan events, USA, Europa and Asia.....Think we should use all one of these....

Gehzilla
23-05-2015, 02:45
For the time being, we should have a sticky telling all PC players to change their download region to the UK. I do this all the time with GRID Autosport and it's the only way the community stays together. It's the best solution we can do until Slightly Mad does something to change how the game finds servers.

I do it, but at this time, only 13 servers, 2 with password and 50 onlineplayers. And some lobbys not reachable. Its ridiculous for a weekend!

Arkymedes
23-05-2015, 05:39
Steam has a solution, it called LAN Event. There are 3 Servers for Lan events, USA, Europa and Asia.....Think we should use all one of these....

I don't think it works for this game:

Just did a test myself, 1 minute ago.

UK - London: 11 servers
LAN - Europe: 0 servers

EDIT: Did more tests with 3 regions and now I'm confused. They all showed the same games in the lobby.

UK - London
France - Marseille
Russia - Moscow

So for Europe, choosing any european server will connect to the same games.

EDIT 2: Tried US - New York and only 4 servers showed up. So it's Region filtered, but per continent, not countries as I thought.

Arkymedes
23-05-2015, 05:46
So in resume:

Test made 5 minutes ago:

LAN - Europe: 0 servers
UK - London, France - Marseille, Russia - Moscow: 12 servers (same servers for all regions)
US - New York: 4 servers

falcon2081
23-05-2015, 07:04
I'm staying in the UK region for now since it has the most servers everyday. Hopefully they get this sorted out quick.

Arkymedes
23-05-2015, 07:27
I'm staying in the UK region for now since it has the most servers everyday. Hopefully they get this sorted out quick.

Any region in Europe shows the same servers. So if you live in Europe, choose the download location nearest you. It does not make a difference regarding the servers you see.

Gehzilla
23-05-2015, 08:59
What? You mean worldwide only 16 servers online?
No, i hope there is something wrong with the serverbrowser and thats not the real count!
I dont think, that in the whole USA are only 4 Servers?
Im very, very confused and very desperately disappointed!

Sadly WMD brings no updates for any patch or whats wrong with the Networksystem. Its a terrible communication with the consumer!
I know, they are busy with Project Cars 2 and spend the money we pay for Cocktails and Wifes, but is there no person (maybe the Cleaning Staff), that can bring a little light in this dark Project Cars 1 World?

PS. When a dev look at the post, please google Roadmap! There are a lot of examples how this works!

JJ Addison
23-05-2015, 23:19
Maybe someone here can help me out. I have a paid server I started using....... the server is fine I can create the race event I use private with a password but the drivers looking for it cant find it? I have raced in racedepartment races and I just type in the name given and its no issue. But my guys trying to get in cant find the server name.... even with typing it in? What could be wrong?

qbasiz
24-05-2015, 01:11
my friend lives 10km from my house and has the same problem, if i try multi-player on PC in the evening i get 10-20+ lobbys
(i hope upcomming patches can help the UI because i have to join to be able to see progression and other important stuff).
I thought it was his router or something like that, only if he signs in on my pc he has noticeably less lobbys to choose from.
Only tried it one time so not sure if it means anything, but when i switched back to my account i got more then double the lobbys to choose from.

Gehzilla
24-05-2015, 01:13
Are you both use the same download server in steam?

qbasiz
24-05-2015, 02:06
Are you both use the same download server in steam?
^^ how can i check this, i'm new to PC. On his steam account on his PC he has fewer lobbys, if he signs in with his account on my PC same.
My account my PC is OK, havent tried my account on his PC

Gehzilla
24-05-2015, 02:26
^^ how can i check this, i'm new to PC. On his steam account on his PC he has fewer lobbys, if he signs in with his account on my PC same.
My account my PC is OK, havent tried my account on his PC

Go into your Steam - upper left corner click steam go to the Settings then Downloads and choose the same serverlocation like your friend.
I hope thats right, because my steam speaks german ;-)

qbasiz
24-05-2015, 02:34
Go into your Steam - upper left corner click steam go to the Settings then Downloads and choose the same serverlocation like your friend.
I hope thats right, because my steam speaks german ;-)
thnx, it's bed time for me now but i will try this next time he's here and report back.

qbasiz
26-05-2015, 13:34
We both have had the same download region selected, he hasn't played on my pc with his account since.
But the problem seems to mostly fixed for him now, last few days we both had the same MP lobbys to select from (didn't change any settings)