PDA

View Full Version : Project Cars on Linux (and SteamOS)

Xelancer
08-05-2015, 02:51
I am an avid Linux user and was just wondering if there was any word from the developers / demand (from the community specifically) for Project Cars running on Steam for Linux. Since there is talk of a SteamOS version (basically running debian anyway) it should be quite easy to port it for Steam running on any Linux... I currently own the PS4 version of PCARs but I would buy it on Steam if there was a Linux port made available too.

Any other members of the community wanna throw their support behind a Linux version of PCARS? :yes:

ryandtw
08-05-2015, 02:53
Linux...I'd be interested in that. (I have Linux because I need it for my physics research project that is using a program that requires Linux...and to be specific, I use Ubuntu GNOME)

shiba87
08-05-2015, 11:36
I'm in love with Project CARS. But, for now, it's a great game which i can't play because of the lack of support of GNU/Linux :(

NemethR
08-05-2015, 11:58
Get a proper operating system :P :D

Seriously tough isn't there a Windows emulator in Linux? (I must add I never had Linux, so I might be completely wrong.)

Mattias
08-05-2015, 13:45
I don't think it would handle well in a windows emulator (WINE) or a virtual machine.

I am also using linux, but I dual-boot into windows when needed for games such as this.
Since SteamOS is coming soon more games will hopefully be available on linux.
But that also depends on how many will actually buy a SteamOS "Console".

Only problem I see is wheel drivers for linux. Not sure if my T500rs would run under linux.

dean36963
13-05-2015, 21:08
I tried Project Cars on wine. I couldn't get my controller registered, my sound didn't work and performance was abysmal. It may be that I could tweak some things to get it running more smoothly though.

I think I'll be waiting for the SteamOS version to comes before playing.

Xelancer
20-05-2015, 05:33
I would never suggest running Project Cars on WINE (emulation is never a long term solution). There are many great titles that run natively on Linux and while I agree certain wheels and controllers may have some compatibility issues, there are generally open source solutions to many those problems. I wouldn't bring it up but for the for the talk of there being a Steam OS version potentially coming?

Linux still has some way to go to be the gaming operating system of choice but that does not mean it wont be in the near future; it was only a few years ago I wouldn't dream of playing games on Linux, now that is all I use. The technological boundaries/hindrances have become even more blurred in recent years;
> Playstation 4's Operating System is a modified version of FreeBSD with a closed source graphics library attached (by library I mean OpenGL - but its closed source & unique to Sony).
> Steam OS is basically Debian (like I said above) with a dedicated Steam interface.
> Who could forget Mac OS, has its roots very in BSD.

thisisbleep
20-05-2015, 09:32
SteamOS and Wii U are planned to be released at the end of the year, but nothing has been confirmed by the developers and that might have changed.

mike4
08-06-2015, 07:06
Get a proper operating system :P :D

Seriously tough isn't there a Windows emulator in Linux? (I must add I never had Linux, so I might be completely wrong.)

You miss the best. Linux is far superior to virus plagued Windows.

Looking forward to drive on Ubuntu with SteamVR this year.

Wolkenwolf
08-06-2015, 07:34
Yes, would like that ! Meanwhile i hate dualboot only for some games.
wasn't there a SteamOS Logo for PC ?

OppaErich
08-06-2015, 08:34
I'm running Linux since 1993 but I don't think this ia a good idea. I have trouble to get my wireless 360 controller to work with some games, I don't even want to think about wheels... We do have a proper OS but it's a bad game launcher.

Alan Dallas
08-06-2015, 08:52
Steam OS version was planned long ago and is still planned to be done. Fear not. :)
Forking off the PS4(Orbis OS is a fork of FreeBSD after all so should have some shared libraries) version would probably be the easiest way to port it over to Steam OS I would think. I could be wrong though.

mike4
08-06-2015, 09:46
I'm running Linux since 1993 but I don't think this ia a good idea. I have trouble to get my wireless 360 controller to work with some games, I don't even want to think about wheels... We do have a proper OS but it's a bad game launcher.

No problems on Ubuntu with my WLAN and Logitech wireless mouse/keyboard. I also have usb CH stick and pedals (X-Plane) but I guess they're not good for driving. In X-Plane my GTX770 is ~20% FPS faster than on win8.1. Any recommendations for Wheel/Pedals? They should also be good for flying as I want to sell my CH stuff to make space. I surely will also buy a SteamVR.

Wolkenwolf
08-06-2015, 14:27

I strongly disagree.Gaming under Linux is the BEST idea Valve ever had :D

Besides, no big problems under kubuntu with wired Xbox-Controller and G25. Except that there is no good racing sim for GNUs.
Race 07 worked fine with wine.
For PC I could use Steam IHS but that would lead to discussions about the purpose of the livingroom ;)

J8ji
07-08-2015, 20:22
Is it possible for us to get an update if the Linux build is still coming and if possible how its shaping up?

thmxvr
22-11-2015, 01:33
Still no news on this front?
I must say I am disapointed

resmania
22-11-2015, 03:49
You miss the best. Linux is far superior to virus plagued Windows.

Looking forward to drive on Ubuntu with SteamVR this year.

You must know that only minority of people use Linux as a gaming OS.

venquessa
22-11-2015, 07:15
Folks, WINE is not an emulator. That's what it stands for. It's in the name. It's a common GNU thing to make recursive acronyms, like GNU's not Unix. Wine, in truth is a reimplementation of the Windows core APIs (the system DLLs etc.) including DirectX. It's often faster than native!

Linux and WINE would run pCars fine. IF and only IF wine has implemented all the windows API that pCars needs. This is often unlikely. There is some mileage on using real windows DLLs, but YMMV. However, many very intensive and heavy games run perfectly well under Wine, games such as Eve Online, I can run twice, two accounts on my linux desktop and still have 80fps on both. Eve Online did originally have a Linux client though, so while support for that was axed, the code base was still cross platform enough to run using wine, as the game moved away from Linux, Wine has kept up.

If anyone has an actual copy of the game that doesn't need Steam, have they tried launching the exe with wine? Just to see how far it does get.

If it worked and I could get my logitech wheel to work in Linux I'd be happy to run it in Wine.

sbtm
22-11-2015, 08:29
Since I switched to Linux on my laptop a few years ago, games run much smoother than with windows 7. I could crank up the graphics in BioShock infinite without loss of fps.
I would be so happy if a Linux version will still come but I think this will only happen to pcars 2.
I hope that the kernel will include the driver for my t300 GTE wheel then because at the moment I cannot use it on Linux (tried with iracing, yes they have a Linux client).

I'll build a desktop machine soon and will have it in dual boot until my wheel works with Linux. Too sad I will have to use windows again. But glad I can play games like civ5 and cities skylines with Linux (and many others).. rest on ps4 for now.

cluck
22-11-2015, 09:04
It's very early days of course, but some recent benchmarks were run and showed that even some Valve games were running worse (and significantly so)on SteamOS than on Windows :(. Link to Ars Technica article (http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/11/ars-benchmarks-show-significant-performance-hit-for-steamos-gaming/).

I hope they get things sorted because competition can only be a good thing from a consumer standpoint.

thmxvr
22-11-2015, 11:22
From an engineering point of view, this "windows vs linux, which is faster" argument does not makes a lot of sense: the OS, even if it does its job in a un-optimized way, will not affect the performance of the game/program in a visible way if you take only the execution speed (FPS) into account. All the differences measured when doing such benchmark is down to driver issues or the game being optimized or not for this driver. The state of most Linux drivers is not so good but when using nvidia hardware with the official nvidia driver you should be on par with Windows performances wise.

The main advantages for Linux gaming IMO is that beiing a real-time OS, the FPS should be more stable and the microshutters avoided.

Also of course having to reboot my computer and maintain a insanely complicated/messy OS like windows7 just for this game is a real pain in the a**.

DanyGee
11-12-2015, 10:14
I'm also waiting for Linux version of the game. If Grid Autosport can run on Linux with the same performance as on windows, then why Project Cars shouldn't? I'm very happy that finally Linux is emerging as an OS also for gamers.

RomKnight
11-12-2015, 13:00
I waited, I pushed it... I don't believe it'll come. Just too much code to justify it.

MAYBE pCARS2... No hopes either ATM though.

Anyway, the way pcars is going is not of my liking so, I really don't care because to play for fun I can use windows too and I have other sims that won't support that in the near future AFAIK.

fancyPants
13-12-2015, 14:04
I waited, I pushed it... I don't believe it'll come. Just too much code to justify it.

MAYBE pCARS2... No hopes either ATM though.

Anyway, the way pcars is going is not of my liking so, I really don't care because to play for fun I can use windows too and I have other sims that won't support that in the near future AFAIK.

Well, then that's just one more promise that wasn't kept. Good way to build up a bad reputation. It'll be interesting how this will play out for pCARS 2.

cluck
13-12-2015, 14:24
Well, then that's just one more promise that wasn't keptThere is no word from SMS either way other than the original announcement so no promise has been broken regarding support for SteamOS.

dick-van-dyke
18-12-2015, 15:55
There is no word from SMS either way other than the original announcement so no promise has been broken regarding support for SteamOS.

Wii U and Steam OS versions to follow later in 2015. -- http://www.projectcarsgame.com/faq.html

Unless they plan an unexpected Xmas present, I can see a broken promise right there. If they can't manage it for whatever technical or other reasons, fair enough, but they should tell us that, for god's sake. I backed this game with specifically this promise in mind, and while I'm not going to sue if they don't deliver on it, it's a hell of a cowardly move to just let that rot and hope nobody notices.

cluck
18-12-2015, 16:04
Wii U and Steam OS versions to follow later in 2015. -- http://www.projectcarsgame.com/faq.html

Unless they plan an unexpected Xmas present, I can see a broken promise right there. If they can't manage it for whatever technical or other reasons, fair enough, but they should tell us that, for god's sake. I backed this game with specifically this promise in mind, and while I'm not going to sue if they don't deliver on it, it's a hell of a cowardly move to just let that rot and hope nobody notices.I know it's highly pedantic but 2015 isn't over yet, hence why I said "no promise has been broken" ;).

I don't know any more than yourself of course, but it's quite likely that the faq page will need an update - much as Christmas is a time of miracles, I don't think the Steam OS version will be out between now and December 31st.

EDIT : Also, just to be really nit-picking, you joined WMD in April 2012. Steam OS wasn't even announced back then so "backing it with specifically this promise in mind" would be slightly interesting. Can I have your crystal ball please? :p.

dick-van-dyke
19-12-2015, 00:11
Also, just to be really nit-picking, you joined WMD in April 2012. Steam OS wasn't even announced back then so "backing it with specifically this promise in mind" would be slightly interesting. Can I have your crystal ball please? :p.

Huh, my memory fails me then, and I let my vigour draw a prettier picture than it was. A good catch, I bow to you.

Still, my point stands that this is yet another case of utter failure in communication between the developers and the community. I mean, they surely knew they weren't going to make the date a month ago. A simple "Hey guys, we're working on it, but we have some trouble..." would be more than enough for most people, I'm sure. Of course, it may be an Xmas present to all of us, which would be absolutely marvellous, but looking at SMS's track record in terms of communicating that deadlines will not be met, I'd bet good money it isn't.

I don't really care that they announced a raiser for the sequel when the first game wasn't even finished (as in polished, not as in released), but I care very much that this absolute isolation of the core team made the whole Community point of Community Assisted Racing Simulator completely pointless. How can I, after having witnessed what has come of all of this, put any support in the sequel, or anything that SMS promises to make? I would have to be slightly mad. *sad grin*

clel
03-01-2016, 12:28
Any official statement to this? Has been a bit quiet imho.

LogRoad
03-01-2016, 21:28
With a view toward Win10 (tried it for four days; rolled back to Win7), the sooner there is a practical open source replacement for Windows the happier I'll be. I'm too technically ignorant to be near the front lines on this, but Microsoft apparently wants to eventually take over my PC entirely. Free is too much for Win10, and not enough for any Linux distro.

It's been a long time since I experimented with Linux. Time to give it another shot.

P.S. I've owned Win 3.1/MS DOS 6.1, Win 98, Vista, Win 7 and Win 10, as well as a proprietary MS OS on the old Tandy Model 102 in the '80's.

David_ACM
11-02-2016, 04:29
Hey, It's 2016 and no Linux Version :(

MarioHi
31-03-2016, 17:01
The first quarter of 2016 is almost over and we haven't seen any progress on the SteamOS version. I've bought the game to support the announced SteamOS/Linux version. When can we expect an update on the release date or the actual release?

clel
31-03-2016, 18:06
I think they will never reply unfortunately.

ramma
12-08-2016, 09:22
Given the twitter person knows Linux == SteamOS, then it seems to have been dropped. https://twitter.com/projectcarsgame/status/762407570703343616

Sad to see no word from SMS yet, especially given their Steam community person Leviathan said multiple times that if it is cancelled there would be an explanation like with Wii U. [1] (https://steamcommunity.com/app/234630/discussions/1/405693392914265023/#c405694115198007598) [2] (https://steamcommunity.com/app/234630/discussions/0/610573009248356568/?ctp=10#c357287304423918940)

At this point, we just want to know why. Lots of us have been following this and to it for years, so we're understandably a bit distraught.

crowtrobot
12-08-2016, 12:59
I like how the twitter post uses the same verbiage as potential future DLC and patches: "no plans at this time". Keeps people wondering, but it's also solid cover for when nothing comes.

This isn't all that uncommon for the industry unfortunately, people really shouldn't be surprised. Make your buying decisions on the existing product, not what's been promised. The interesting thing about it is that publishers and developers often state that they rely heavily on pre-order numbers, which leads to this kind of over-promising behavior, but then not making good on those promises drives people away from the pre-orders they need to judge interest and get early metrics for the product's success.

As to the 'why' of it, it's pretty straight-forward: $$$. Linux is still a pretty niche product (SteamOS even moreso), and it requires a non-zero investment from the company to develop and support any sort of release. I can't imagine that at this stage of the release that it'd be profitable to devote manpower and resources to releasing and supporting a whole other build for a whole other operating system.

Andy Rink
12-08-2016, 17:34
Windows games and also a pre-installed laptop are the only reasons I even have windows. I have a dual-boot with Kubuntu. Love KDE. http://kubuntu.org/

I've been using linux for a long time, since well before it even supported USB mice, IIRC. I remember compiling dev kernels and trying to get it to work.

If you want a linux racing fix, you can snag a copy of F1 2015 for $16 on codemasters' site. I bought and downloaded it in windows last night. I'll download it for linux next time I boot it, eager to try that out.

Edit: Sorry to spam it here, but it's big deal for linux to have a good commercial racing game, and helluva price.

It might require nvidia hardware.

expl01tr
13-08-2016, 11:20
Pfft I gave up with the myriad of hardware and software issues trying to game on Kali Linux. I hoped I'd not have to boot 2 machines all the time but it's a simple solution to run a dual boot. Letting GRUB find the Win installation by simply doing an update GRUB after you install Linux.The UFEI USB boot drives aren't hard to create......with new hardware and immature drivers it's a bloody nightmare and you won't see any real performance increase anyhow in my testing I didnt't anyhow

cluck
28-08-2016, 17:19
so, about linux version, that was announced on pre-order... how to get the money back from these fraudsters?Fraud would be selling you a Linux version and then not delivering it.

Accusing (wrongly, I will add) the developers of fraud on their own forum, that they pay for, is not going to go down very well. If you are, in fact, directly accusing the developers - Slightly Mad Studios - of fraud, then I suggest you look up the legal definition of 'defamation'.

cluck
28-08-2016, 19:29
The point we're making isn't that there wasn't an announcement - nobody is denying that - the point is simply that you could not have placed an order for the game with SMS as it never existed*. If you did place an order with somebody, you need to seek redress from them.

* as in, a finished, SteamOS version. I have no idea how far development went of it so it is likely something existed at some point, just not a finished version available to purchase