PDA

View Full Version : KERS and DRS

DVAFP
08-05-2015, 02:54
there should be an indication of when they are active on the wheel, not on the lower right corner of the screen when the HUD is on. there should also be an animation of the drivers hands pressing the buttons on the wheel.

Joethe147
08-05-2015, 03:12
I haven't had a go with them yet but yes, I definitely agree.

Aldo Zampatti
08-05-2015, 03:12
there should be an indication of when they are active on the wheel, not on the lower right corner of the screen when the HUD is on. there should also be an animation of the drivers hands pressing the buttons on the wheel.

Depends of the view and HUD level you use, there are indications (also depending on the car you're driving).
Animations for that are missing, yes.

yusupov
08-05-2015, 03:42
there is an indication on the wheel, counts down from 100 to 0 i think. it may not be the default since you can toggle different in-game wheel HUDS & i assume the f1 car is no different. i didnt see it at first either & was gonna throw a fit abt the missing animation too :)

Aldo Zampatti
08-05-2015, 03:56
there is an indication on the wheel, counts down from 100 to 0 i think. it may not be the default since you can toggle different in-game wheel HUDS & i assume the f1 car is no different. i didnt see it at first either & was gonna throw a fit abt the missing animation too :)

ON Formula A yes, there's a countdown of %power. But others don't have that indication (LMP1 cars,KERS automatically applied with throttle)

Khyber GT
08-05-2015, 04:00
with the dk2 can't tell what's on as there is no hud lol

DVAFP
08-05-2015, 04:02

i just rechecked there is no indicator for DRS or KERS on the car, only on the HUD if you have it on.

DVAFP
08-05-2015, 04:06
i stand corrected, there is an indicator for KERS on the formula A but no for DRS.

Aldo Zampatti
08-05-2015, 04:15
i stand corrected, there is an indicator for KERS on the formula A but no for DRS.

Yup, that's correct in cockpit view. If you use another view, on the RPM meter (Motec-like) you should see a DRS indicator. Personally I use Cockpit and yes, no DRS indicator

WadeOhh
08-05-2015, 04:26
Just out of curiosity, can someone possibly list what cars use KERS and/or DRS if it is known (or point me in the direction of a list that may already exist). I'd like to know whether having these 2 buttons assigned to the wheel is even worth it if hardly any cars use them (or maybe only add them to the wheel when I'm using a car that uses them).

Maybe use the format...

Car: Whatever Car - KERS (Y/N) | DRS (Y/N)

A list would be really useful. Thanks :)

Yuyuko
08-05-2015, 04:50

Cars unlisted have neither.
Formula B - KERS (N, but it's push-to-pass) | DRS (N)
Formula A - KERS (Y, push-to-pass) | DRS (Y)
Marek RP 339H - KERS (Y, throttle activated) | DRS (N)
McLaren P1 - KERS (Y)^ | DRS (N)*
RWD P30 - KERS (Y, throttle activated) | DRS (N)

^unsure on exact system
*someone correct me on this

WadeOhh
08-05-2015, 05:01
Thanks for this list Yuyuko. Really useful :)

So, if I've read this correctly, only 1 car has DRS and only 2 need a button for KERS/Push to Pass. Yep, I think I might get rid of these 2 buttons off my wheel, free up some valuable space, and then just add them if I use any of these cars. Awesome! (I'm just hoping these 2 functions aren't on the 'mandatory mappings' list :-/

WadeOhh
08-05-2015, 05:57
Well, I've just read in another thread that the 'KERS' button IS one of the mandatory buttons. Now that is annoying!

*Starts chanting* Ditch mandatory buttons! Ditch mandatory buttons!

Yuyuko
08-05-2015, 06:07
Well, I've just read in another thread that the 'KERS' button IS one of the mandatory buttons. Now that is annoying!

*Starts chanting* Ditch mandatory buttons! Ditch mandatory buttons!

Wow, that actually is legitimately annoying, considering there's only two cars with a manual push-to-pass button! I suppose it's a necessary evil though :(

yusupov
08-05-2015, 06:28
sorry to make this a little more confusing, but -- Mclaren P1 also has DRS. however (i believe this is real-life & simulated ingame) it doesnt function like normal DRS -- you have to manually hold it down. in F1, you press the button to activate, press again (or brake) to immediately close/deactivate it. KERS you do have told down (by 2011 F1 rules/"Formula A").

i also dont understand why either is mandatory (i assumed you meant both have to be mapped for one to work, which is bad enough but both always?). as you say this just taking up key buttons on the wheel (at least for KERS if you drive the F1 car, DRS i guess you could put somewhere else) for 95% of cars.

i always keep kers/boost & drs mapped to the same buttons in sims but its not really the smartest idea, just the easiest :) you could assign kers & drs to keyboard or something out of the way until you actually drive a car that needs them.

Bealdor
08-05-2015, 06:33
sorry to make this a little more confusing, but -- Mclaren P1 also has DRS. however (i believe this is real-life & simulated ingame) it doesnt function like normal DRS -- you have to manually hold it down. in F1, you press the button to activate, press again (or brake) to immediately close/deactivate it. KERS you do have told down (by 2011 F1 rules/"Formula A").

i also dont understand why either is mandatory (i assumed you meant both have to be mapped for one to work, which is bad enough but both always?). as you say this just taking up key buttons on the wheel (at least for KERS if you drive the F1 car, DRS i guess you could put somewhere else) for 95% of cars.

i always keep kers/boost & drs mapped to the same buttons in sims but its not really the smartest idea, just the easiest :) you could assign kers & drs to keyboard or something out of the way until you actually drive a car that needs them.

The McLaren P1 indeed has DRS. And the KERS bar is actually the load status of the hybrid system and not an actual KERS.

Alejandro Riveiro
08-05-2015, 09:20

Odd, there definitely is, it's to the left of the KERS bar in the small hud (at least in cockpit view).

ON Formula A yes, there's a countdown of %power. But others don't have that indication (LMP1 cars,KERS automatically applied with throttle)
Unless I'm mistaken, IRL LMP1 cars apply ERS automatically (like the new F1 hybrid cars) so the driver doesn't have to enable it manually, it's always working.

Aldo Zampatti
08-05-2015, 15:07
Odd, there definitely is, it's to the left of the KERS bar in the small hud (at least in cockpit view).

Unless I'm mistaken, IRL LMP1 cars apply ERS automatically (like the new F1 hybrid cars) so the driver doesn't have to enable it manually, it's always working.

That IS CORRECT indeed, and somehow I said the same (or at least I've tried) :)

Vicious13
08-05-2015, 15:30
It works weird on Mclaren P1.
DRS is not toggle on/off. it's just like nitro button.(It need to keep pushing button.)
and Wing doesn't works as Air Brake when you push brake in high speed.
and KERS... is it working right?
I haven't drive real Mclaren P1, but I think this is wrong presentation.
See the Driveclub's Mclaren P1. it works good.

Aldo Zampatti
08-05-2015, 15:54
It works weird on Mclaren P1.
DRS is not toggle on/off. it's just like nitro button.(It need to keep pushing button.)
and Wing doesn't works as Air Brake when you push brake in high speed.
and KERS... is it working right?
I haven't drive real Mclaren P1, but I think this is wrong presentation.
See the Driveclub's Mclaren P1. it works good.

Actually, i've search around and PCARS shows with precision one of the P1 modes. Bear in mind that the car in real life can be configured with different modes like "sport, active, e-mode"etc.
from this site (which looks pretty official to me) (http://media.mclarenautomotive.com/model/7/EN/doc/49/):):

Rear wing with DRS
DRS, or Drag Reduction System, is used in Formula 1 to offer increased straight-line speed, and it is also used on the McLaren P1™. Speed is increased by reducing the amount of drag on the rear wing, and while a Formula 1 car achieves this with a moveable flap on the rear wing, on the McLaren P1™, DRS reduces the angle of the rear wing to zero.

The DRS function is operated by a button on the steering wheel, and takes approximately half a second to flatten the angle of the rear wing. With DRS enabled, the level of drag is reduced by 23 per cent. The system immediately deactivates when the button is released, if the driver touches the brake pedal, or if steering input is detetcted.
- See more at: http://media.mclarenautomotive.com/model/7/EN/doc/49/#sthash.MoMlIkEt.dpuf

Sometimes we must blame real life for the behavior of certain things within pCARS :) I've actually asked this very same question myself a few weeks ago, that's why I've investigated further :D

cheers!

yusupov
08-05-2015, 16:25
yes, its an odd implentation but its a safety feature..and speaking of that, idk for sure that steer input removes it, based on some experience i had with the car...:D

Aldo Zampatti
08-05-2015, 16:36
yes, its an odd implentation but its a safety feature..and speaking of that, idk for sure that steer input removes it, based on some experience i had with the car...:D

Then you'd better stick around for feedback on the next project if there's one ;)

Vicious13
09-05-2015, 00:47
Thanks! but I still wondering why rear wing doesn't work as air brake.
(tilt back > DRS, tilt front > Air Brake)

and there is no DRS/KERS indicator in dashboard and drivers hand reaction.

yusupov
09-05-2015, 00:54
Then you'd better stick around for feedback on the next project if there's one ;)

after this car tried to kill me?? i dont think so!! :P

yusupov
09-05-2015, 00:59
Thanks! but I still wondering why rear wing doesn't work as air brake.
(tilt back > DRS, tilt front > Air Brake)

and there is no DRS/KERS indicator in dashboard and drivers hand reaction.

from what i could gather there was/is confusion over this. kunos did this car as well & initially released it w/out airbrake, some ppl complained, evidence that the car had an airbrake was asked for (i wondered how the hell the devs couldve missed this at the time!). iirc kunos issued a patch not too long ago saying that air brake was now working/animated at least & that irl a mclaren software update had enabled it. so i do think it should have one technically but its probably pretty low on the to-do list atm.

Aldo Zampatti
09-05-2015, 02:23
AFAIK is only available in RACE mode. There are plenty modes, I don't know which ones of these were considered while building the car

DVAFP
09-05-2015, 02:27

I said: there is no indication the DRS is on except on the graphical HUD on the lower right corner. there should be one on the wheel cause firstly not everyone uses HUD, secondly looking at the lower right corner of the screen (or he lower middle if you drag the HUD there) when driving the formula A can ruin your race pretty quickly.

thomasjohansen
12-05-2015, 13:46
what about the rules for using KERS and DRS in Formula A?

I have noticed that sometime KERS not working even though its charged. Why is that?

Is DRS only allowed/activatable in DRS zones too (hope so)? and is it possible to see where the zones are or is it just googling on every track?

Francorchamps
12-05-2015, 13:56
There are no DRS zones. So it's DRS on on every straight :cool:

Bealdor
12-05-2015, 14:02
There are no DRS zones. So it's DRS on on every straight :cool:

... and KERS is limited to 400kJ per lap (roughly 7s).

jaymondo
12-05-2015, 14:20
A Question of the RWD P30 LMP1, is the Kers on the rear axle as the name would suggest, or on the front, like 'most' of the factory LMP1 cars of today ? Does Project cars have ability to do 4WD cars, even if applied temporary like a front axle Kers System ?

Invincible
12-05-2015, 14:35
A Question of the RWD P30 LMP1, is the Kers on the rear axle as the name would suggest, or on the front, like 'most' of the factory LMP1 cars of today ? Does Project cars have ability to do 4WD cars, even if applied temporary like a front axle Kers System ?

If I'm not mistaken the KERS on the TRW goes on the rear axle. But despite that, the name doesn't come from it's drive orientation.
And of course PCARS can simulate 4WD cars (Mitsubishi Lancer EVO FQ400, Mercedes A45 AMG) and I also think that the Audi R18 has his KERS on the front axle.

AshenShugar
12-05-2015, 15:11
If I'm not mistaken the KERS on the TRW goes on the rear axle. But despite that, the name doesn't come from it's drive orientation.
And of course PCARS can simulate 4WD cars (Mitsubishi Lancer EVO FQ400, Mercedes A45 AMG) and I also think that the Audi R18 has his KERS on the front axle.

the r18 your thinking of is the e-tron quattro

Invincible
12-05-2015, 15:15
the r18 your thinking of is the e-tron quattro

Sorry, my bad. The R18 TDI didn't use KERS

Aldo Zampatti
12-05-2015, 15:44

Yes PCARS has the hability of doing 4WD cars (i.e.: Mitsu EVO)
But I don't remember if Kers on the Ryno is on front wheels

Bailey
12-05-2015, 16:21
One thing that I found pretty fun is when driving the Caterham 300 LMP is that you have 10 push to pass charges per race. It's pretty fun and tons of strategy if you think about it.
~Bailey

jaymondo
12-05-2015, 20:31
As there is obviously a licensing deal with Project cars and the Audi car company, hopefully the current Audi R18 e-tron quattro will be added to the game. Would be nice to hear that flywheel system working !

Mulder89
12-05-2015, 20:36
Shouldn't the available number of KERS reset on every lap in time trial mode with the Caterham?

Blackvault
12-05-2015, 20:38
Shouldn't the available number of KERS reset on every lap in time trial mode with the Caterham?

I believe you can only use the KERS in the Caterham for 10 times during a race.

Pete

loslogo
12-05-2015, 23:42
Yup, that's correct in cockpit view. If you use another view, on the RPM meter (Motec-like) you should see a DRS indicator. Personally I use Cockpit and yes, no DRS indicator

That needs to be fixed. As well as adding a tach option in car.

dyr_gl
13-05-2015, 00:18
If I read correctly, in this game Formula A is free to use at any point? That is correct for practice and quali, but it's nonsense if it's like that in races.

yusupov
13-05-2015, 00:30
i think even in practice (might have been time trial) you only get very limited use per lap, someone said its about 7 seconds

Bailey
13-05-2015, 00:49

No, I don't think that would be reasonable to be honest.
~Bailey

Aldo Zampatti
13-05-2015, 05:32
in FA, DRS and KERS are free to use in ANY point in ANY mode.
No restriction for DRS.

Aprox 400kj of Kers per lap which equals ~7sec/lap

This is not an strict formula1 2015 rule car, is a 'comparable' 2013, SMS did not try to copy the rules, just simulate some :)

Bailey
13-05-2015, 08:16
I recently tried the Formula B car because I got a Career offer for it. In that car you have one push - to - pass per lap. It is use able again after passing the finish line.
~Bailey

Mulder89
13-05-2015, 08:29
No, I don't think that would be reasonable to be honest.
~Bailey

Why? Isn't time trial is about running as many laps as you want? Since there is no fuel consumption with a fixed 5L tank, no tire wear(I assume) and the weather is clear all the time.
I can just restart the track and do it again. This way I just wouldn't have to restart it, just like with every other car which has no KERS. Its not a big deal, but still.
Every lap in time trial is like a new race for the best lap time.

Bailey
13-05-2015, 09:07
Why? Isn't time trial is about running as many laps as you want? Since there is no fuel consumption with a fixed 5L tank, no tire wear(I assume) and the weather is clear all the time.
I can just restart the track and do it again. This way I just wouldn't have to restart it, just like with every other car which has no KERS. Its not a big deal, but still.
Every lap in time trial is like a new race for the best lap time.

It just doesn't feel right. Look at it this way. With Formula A you can use KERS out of the final turn and the continue to cross the line to start your new lap with a full store of energy, just like they used to do in real life. With the Caterham if you use a push-to-pass out of the final corner it will be possible to use push-to-pass a total of 11 times, which can never happen in a racing environment because only 10 are allowed per race.
~Bailey

dyr_gl
13-05-2015, 10:29
May I ask, what the hell is the purpose of DRS in Formula A if both cars can use it in a fight on race day. Why bother coding it then?

Bealdor
13-05-2015, 10:30
May I ask, what the hell is the purpose of DRS in Formula A if both cars can use it in a fight on race day. Why bother coding it then?

The one who's brave enough to open it mid corner will win the fight. ;)

dyr_gl
13-05-2015, 10:41
Everybody that knows the car and track will open it at the same places all GP long. Which is the same as DRS not even existing.

dyr_gl
13-05-2015, 10:44
Worst of all, makes aero setup a bit of a joke where using 10/12 wings have no downsides. You should code DRS zones for big tracks suitable for F-A.

Blackvault
13-05-2015, 11:18
Worst of all, makes aero setup a bit of a joke where using 10/12 wings have no downsides. You should code DRS zones for big tracks suitable for F-A.

You should find that your top speed (V-Max) is down a little with 10/12 over 0/0.

Pete

dyr_gl
13-05-2015, 12:13
You should find that your top speed (V-Max) is down a little with 10/12 over 0/0.

Pete

You should find that with DRS always avaliable 12 wings extra grip will always pay off more than enough to compensate for the lost of "V-max" unless it´s monza. Something that wouldn´t happen with proper DRS implementation.

Dyr_gl

jaymondo
15-05-2015, 21:46
I have also noticed a Kers like Battery on the Audi R8 V10 plus, but it appears to do nothing ??

gbm
15-05-2015, 21:51
Ok so I just tried remapping my buttons to add KER and DRS and now it's telling me I didn't complete my button mapping, and I can't back out of the menu screen. I just started another thread about this in the PS4 forums.

I'm having a real hard time successfully changing any button configs without getting this error. How can you tell what's mapped incorrectly, or missing???

Pervasive
16-05-2015, 17:17
The Merc DTM (LE) has DRS. To go with the list earlier in the thread.

So KERS really only needs to be mapped for one car?

(To the person above- on Xbox I just hit menu button and it saves that way- also if you take a picture prior to starting the remapping you can see what you forgot. - it would be nice if mandatory mapping requirements were bolded or highlighted some way)

Bailey
16-05-2015, 17:35
The Merc DTM (LE) has DRS. To go with the list earlier in the thread.

So KERS really only needs to be mapped for one car?

(To the person above- on Xbox I just hit menu button and it saves that way- also if you take a picture prior to starting the remapping you can see what you forgot. - it would be nice if mandatory mapping requirements were bolded or highlighted some way)

Plenty of cars have some type of KERS.

Cars unlisted have neither.
Formula B - KERS (N, but it's push-to-pass) | DRS (N)
Formula A - KERS (Y, push-to-pass) | DRS (Y)
Marek RP 339H - KERS (Y, throttle activated) | DRS (N)
McLaren P1 - KERS (Y)^ | DRS (N)*
RWD P30 - KERS (Y, throttle activated) | DRS (N)

^unsure on exact system
*someone correct me on this
There are some missing from this list.
~Bailey

yusupov
16-05-2015, 17:37
so basically KERS only needs to be mapped for 2 cars, formula A & formula B, assuming it functions as push to pass

Bailey
16-05-2015, 18:14
so basically KERS only needs to be mapped for 2 cars, formula A & formula B, assuming it functions as push to pass

The Caterham 300 also has push-to-pass.
~Bailey

Pervasive
17-05-2015, 22:18
I was just saying that we only need the KERS mapped for push to pass. On Xbox controller the buttons are limited. So knowing this is important is all.

SIlMPLIClITY
17-05-2015, 23:32
Just out of curiosity, can someone possibly list what cars use KERS and/or DRS if it is known (or point me in the direction of a list that may already exist). I'd like to know whether having these 2 buttons assigned to the wheel is even worth it if hardly any cars use them (or maybe only add them to the wheel when I'm using a car that uses them).

Maybe use the format...

Car: Whatever Car - KERS (Y/N) | DRS (Y/N)

Cars with KERS have a little battery (i believe you have to go in third person to see this) also I think only Formula cars have DRS.

gbm
17-05-2015, 23:51
I've mapped the KERS and DRS buttons, but I've yet to get the KERS to work. Can someone explain how this function works in this game?

In Driveclub, I simply pressed the button and I took off like a muthaf*cker!

In this, I see a battery with a voltage bolt, but nothing happens.

gbm
18-05-2015, 14:53
I know the DRS has an icon on screen that lights up, but what is the visual clue that happens when KERS is activated?

If any?

Mahjik
18-05-2015, 14:58
I know the DRS has an icon on screen that lights up, but what is the visual clue that happens when KERS is activated?

If any?

You need to enable the HUD, and then you will see the KERS battery power shown. As for DRS, I believe the indicator is only available when using a chase camera view with the HUD enabled.

yusupov
18-05-2015, 15:02
I've mapped the KERS and DRS buttons, but I've yet to get the KERS to work. Can someone explain how this function works in this game?

In Driveclub, I simply pressed the button and I took off like a muthaf*cker!

In this, I see a battery with a voltage bolt, but nothing happens.

its only manually activated on the formula A & one of the LMPs (not sure which). in the formula A youll see the battery drain rapidly as you get very limited use of it per lap. other cars its a passive system & is essentially just always on if theres charge.

jaymondo
18-05-2015, 18:03
I will ask again, the Audi R8 V10 plus has a battery indicator like kers but doesn't appear to do anything, another bug then ?

Mahjik
18-05-2015, 18:10
I will ask again, the Audi R8 V10 plus has a battery indicator like kers but doesn't appear to do anything, another bug then ?

It's not a bug. It's part of the way SMS simulated the complex Audi drivetrain for the R8. It would have been nice to remove KERS from the display, but it wasn't a deal breaker to get address with more important things still around.

Mulder71
23-12-2015, 19:15
Is it just me or is it weird you have to hold the drs button in Formula A? Normally it's push to activate and push again (or brake) to deactivate..
Also i'm a bit unclear about the KERS rules..only allowed to be used for a number of seconds in a lap? the battery charges but the lightning symbol dissapears? what's up with that?

Bealdor
23-12-2015, 20:48
Is it just me or is it weird you have to hold the drs button in Formula A? Normally it's push to activate and push again (or brake) to deactivate..

Erm... it actually works like you say it should. You don't need to hold down the DRS button.

Also i'm a bit unclear about the KERS rules..only allowed to be used for a number of seconds in a lap? the battery charges but the lightning symbol dissapears? what's up with that?

KERS is limited to a specific amount of energy used per lap, which is roughly 7 seconds IIRC.

Schnizz58
23-12-2015, 20:52
The battery only has a certain amount of energy in it per lap (400kJ I believe I saw earlier in this thread. When it's gone, it's gone until you cross the timing line again. As it discharges you'll see the battery symbol drain until it's empty. Then when you cross the line again the lightning bolt will reappear to indicate that it has been recharged.

Mulder71
24-12-2015, 10:15
Erm... it actually works like you say it should. You don't need to hold down the DRS button.

KERS is limited to a specific amount of energy used per lap, which is roughly 7 seconds IIRC.

Well i tried but i did have to hold the DRS button, DRS would deactivate as soon as i released the button.. so i tought about it and than realised the (or break) bit must cause this than, it must be my brake pedal..
So i increased the deadzone for my breakpedal and voila..it's working fine now. Thanks mate, i wouldn't have tought of it if i didn't knew it was supposed to work as normal.

Kers is a bit weird that you can not see how much is left..but ok, good to know.

Doge
24-12-2015, 12:15
I´ve been always baffled as to why the Formula A displays the energy actually stored in the batteries opposed to the energy left for the current lap.

The car generates easily enough energy in every track for us to always use the 7-8 seconds the regulations allow, so we´re being shown useless information, and we lack important information.