PDA

View Full Version : [RESOLVED] Button assignments and wheel calibration gets wiped ...

BabaBooey
08-05-2015, 02:55
I have a Fanatec GT2 with clubsport pedals. Every time I start the game I have to set up the pedals and button assignment as well as the wheel and pedal calibration. Any suggestions on how to fix this? It's being recognized as a Porsche 911 wheel.

EDIT: This can be fixed by leaving the wheel type it detects your wheel as alone.

Morgan Henstridge
08-05-2015, 03:03
Are you disconnecting the Wheel/pedals from the PC between game starts?? this may affect things if Windows assigns the controller a different ID.

Also are you running an Admin user account in windows?? Just wondering if it may not have permissions to save the file?

JPhutch
08-05-2015, 03:12
Are you disconnecting the Wheel/pedals from the PC between game starts?? this may affect things if Windows assigns the controller a different ID.

Also are you running an Admin user account in windows?? Just wondering if it may not have permissions to save the file?

I am having the same problem with my CSV2. I go through the entire process each time I load the game: assign>calibrate>save. I do not disconnect anything between restarts. I believe I am running an Admin account so I would have to check to see what the permissions are. (I can't check at the moment because my computer shut off in the middle of the game because the CPU gets too hot. A problem I've never had before).

BabaBooey
08-05-2015, 03:16
The settings will reset even if I don't unplug the wheels or pedals.

It's somewhat unrealistic to keep them plugged in all the time since once you cut the power to the GT2 it disconnects from the computer. I'd have to keep it powered on all the time.

I'm running an admin account, never had an issue like this before.

Morgan Henstridge
08-05-2015, 03:24
you could also check the file in "Steam\steamapps\common\pCars\Settings" is not set to Read Only??

I believe this is where the settings are saved.

edit - Probably also worth asking if the Windows user account is the same Windows user account that was used to install Steam &/or Project Cars??

Not sure it would matter, but may have something to do with it if you dont have the permissions to save the settings file??

JPhutch
08-05-2015, 03:47
you could also check the file in "Steam\steamapps\common\pCars\Settings" is not set to Read Only??

I believe this is where the settings are saved.

edit - Probably also worth asking if the Windows user account is the same Windows user account that was used to install Steam &/or Project Cars??

Not sure it would matter, but may have something to do with it if you dont have the permissions to save the settings file??

Tried taking off the "Read Only" setting on Steam\steamapps\common\pCars\Settings. No luck. Still will not save the settings. And the same Windows account was used to download, install and play the game (Admin). Checked the Admin user settings and I can't find anything regarding permissions to save files. Pretty sure thats not the issue.

JPhutch
08-05-2015, 03:54
I should add that it is only the controls settings that save. All other settings with the Options & Help tab save, but not Controls.

Morgan Henstridge
08-05-2015, 04:14
I should add that it is only the controls settings that save. All other settings with the Options & Help tab save, but not Controls.

That is a Strange one.

You could try and Move the file out of that folder to the desktop (just as a backup), and then get Steam to Verify the files and create a new settings file in case it is corrupt.

BabaBooey
08-05-2015, 11:07
Same issue for me. Everything saves except wheel and button assignments. I'll try the administrator thing tonight but it seems strange as I've never had this issue before and run everything as an administrator.

AlexCorscadden
08-05-2015, 15:30
I'll also toss my hat in the "all my control settings are getting blown away" ring. It's especially frustrating as I have a complicated setup and I have to rebind everything and set up the calibration each time I start. I haven't even looked at tuning force feedback settings since I'd have to do it every time I sit down to race.

I've got a T300RS Wheel, the TH8RS shifter and a set of Fanatec CSPv1 pedals connected over USB. I've set up a "Custom Wheel" in pCars but none of it gets saved. pCars seems to be trying to be "helpful" by setting up the wheel every start but it doesn't have any pedals plugged into it and even then it wouldn't grab the shifter.

I've tried both running as administrator and as my normal user. Graphics settings and career progress save just fine it's just the controls that don't. Leaving everything plugged in hasn't helped and wouldn't be an acceptable solution as the T300 is kinda huge and my computer gets used for other things. Running Windows 7, 64-bit, bought pCars through steam.

Mad Al
08-05-2015, 15:39
IF the game picks up your controller as something different every time you start, just report what you have and what it is picked up as.

As far as avoiding the issue of having to redo your settings every time, DO NOT change what the auto detect comes up with, but live with it FOR NOW and set your controller up by using that preset as a base (it should hopefully still allow you to get everything mapped).. if for example as per above you have clubsport pedals with a thrustmaster wheel, just check the assignments and any that are incorrect, set them to the required input.. I think that as long as the main detection sees the same thing (and you haven't changed the base device) it SHOULD keep any other assignments OK (this should be no different to me remapping buttons on my Fanatec wheel, I don't have to do that every time even though they are not the same as default)

BabaBooey
08-05-2015, 16:16
IF the game picks up your controller as something different every time you start, just report what you have and what it is picked up as.

As far as avoiding the issue of having to redo your settings every time, DO NOT change what the auto detect comes up with, but live with it FOR NOW and set your controller up by using that preset as a base (it should hopefully still allow you to get everything mapped).. if for example as per above you have clubsport pedals with a thrustmaster wheel, just check the assignments and any that are incorrect, set them to the required input.. I think that as long as the main detection sees the same thing (and you haven't changed the base device) it SHOULD keep any other assignments OK (this should be no different to me remapping buttons on my Fanatec wheel, I don't have to do that every time even though they are not the same as default)

I think you're onto something here. I have a Fanatec GT2 with Clubsport pedals (in standalone USB mode) and it sees my wheel as a 911 rs or whatever the old Fanatec 911 wheel was. Now that I think about it I think the driver itself is doing that, not the game bcause it shows the same (wrong) picture when I look at my game controllers in windows.

I will try tonight setting it up under the 911 that it auto-detecs and see if the settings stay. I'm almost certain this should solve the issue for now. Thanks!

BabaBooey
08-05-2015, 22:29
It worked. Thank you very much, I can't believe I didn't think of that myself.

Morgan Henstridge
08-05-2015, 22:32
Good find Mad Al :)

I too have separate Wheel, Pedals, Shifter, Button Box, However my CSW V2 was detected correctly on each launch and i had configured that ,as expected, and had not seen this issue.

AlexCorscadden
11-05-2015, 23:13
Thanks, that sorted it. Now to tweak FFB settings ;)