PDA

View Full Version : CPU Overheating & Shutting Down PC

JPhutch
08-05-2015, 04:29
From what I can remember I have an AMD 8320 with a GTX760 Graphics card (I can't turn the PC on to check because it has overheated and I want to write this before I head off to bed!). The problem is that when I play the game, i don't get very far because the PC completely shuts off without warning. When I try and turn it back on immediately after, it warns me that the CPU has overheated. This has never happened with any other game including iRacing.

Thoughts?

Morgan Henstridge
08-05-2015, 04:32
I would check the CPU Heatsync / Fan is seated correctly and has not come loose.

It is definitely a hardware issue and is not a Project CARS Issue, but we may be able to help you get it sorted.

Aldo Zampatti
08-05-2015, 04:51
It might happened to you in PCARS only rather than other games, given the fact that PCARS is VERY CPU heavy because of physics calculation

Morgan Henstridge
08-05-2015, 05:00
Normally a PC will restart after an overheat from an OC as at boot it is running under a lot less load and the Fan will spin up to 100% and get you going until you fire up a game and load the CPU again.

I have seen a similar thing where 1 of the 4 pushpins on an intel heatsync came loose and the other 3 could not hold the heatsync flat on the face of the CPU and it would not boot until the 4th clip was back in place.

Beans
08-05-2015, 05:22
I had a friend who refused to use a gpu fan monitor because he thought the fans got too loud until one day when he was running a new game and had a BSOD from them over heating.

Morgan Henstridge
08-05-2015, 05:29
Yeah, I always manually increase the Fan Curves on Video cards :)

Lars Rosenquist
08-05-2015, 05:56
Right before it shuts down, can you hear the CPU fan running at max? I would install something like MSI afterburner so you can see what the temperatures and fan speeds are actually doing.

m00ndancer
08-05-2015, 06:11
The 8320 is a high wattage CPU. Check the following things:
1. Are all my case/CPU fans working?
2. How much dust do I have in my computer?
3. Check the fan profile in the bios - run in performance mode.
4. Replace the thermal paste
5. Check the airflow inside your case.
6. If you are overclocking your CPU you have to get a custom cooler for your CPU. (cooler master hyper 212 evo is a great example that's cheap)

I have probably forgot a bunch of things. But this is a start.

thisisbleep
08-05-2015, 07:20
Clean out the dust and fluff from the case fans and the CPU fan and make sure that there is enough air flow around the case. If you have any overclocks running disable them to see if they are the cause of the overheating.

As others have said you should also check that the heat sink is mounted correctly.

stux
08-05-2015, 07:53
Install HW Monitor, http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html, then run Prime95 torture test on your PC. you should be able to run that non-stop indefinitely.

Watch your CPU temperatures during the test. They shouldn't climb indefinitely.

If your PC shutsdown, or Prime95 reports errors, then your hardware is not adequately cooling the CPU.

If it doesn't, you can try the same thing with a GPU stress test.

But basically, your hardware has a cooling issue.

Aldo Zampatti
08-05-2015, 15:25
From what I can remember I have an AMD 8320 with a GTX760 Graphics card (I can't turn the PC on to check because it has overheated and I want to write this before I head off to bed!). The problem is that when I play the game, i don't get very far because the PC completely shuts off without warning. When I try and turn it back on immediately after, it warns me that the CPU has overheated. This has never happened with any other game including iRacing.

Thoughts?

One more thing, limiting Frame Rate Per Second will help you to keep your system cooler by not doing extra work. If your screen has a 60hz refresh rate, then rendering 115fps won't do as much for you visually, thus limiting FPS to 60, will keep your GPU/CPU less busy, drawing less power, and will run cooler.

You can try doing this with MSI AfterBurner, nvidia inspector or with Steam Launch Options in Project CARS with -fpscap 60 parameter (-fpscap xx). This is not a solution, you should fix the overheating! But it might help you run a more stable system

MingoJingo
08-05-2015, 15:41
For the PC to shutdown from overheating that's quite serious as modern CPU's and GPU's throttle when they reach their limits to prevent this and sounds like a hardware problem so check that first.

There are plenty of free programs to monitor chip temps (http://openhardwaremonitor.org/). Also it's worth stress testing your PC using http://www.jam-software.de/heavyload/

Use them both together and keep a check on the temperatures. If your CPU temps are exceeding 80 degrees then it's too high and you should look into increasing airflow. Such as replacing the CPU heatsink and fan.

Another experiment is playing Projects Cars without the side panel on your PC case. That will reduce the overall system temps and if the game runs without shutting down your PC then it's definitely a heat problem.

When the above possibilities are eliminated and you're still having this problem, one final thing. It could be your PSU running out of juice and shutting down when over stressed for power. Check max wattage output of your PSU (label on thr PSU will show this), then run your setup through this website - http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

Good luck and hope this helps.