PDA

View Full Version : Mandatory keys on controllers

Francorchamps
08-05-2015, 05:24
Assigning keys on PS4 controllers is really daunting. There are some keys that are mandatory but there is no explanation of which those are. Why are there mandatory keys? I can understand you need steering, brakes and throttle. But if people don't assign them they will know why something works wrong. Now you get stuck in this menu looking for which key the system demands to be assigned. If you use automatic gears why force manual gear buttons on the controller? Why force people to have a look behind button? I never look back, I got mirrors for that.

There are so much keys you can't assign because there are just not enough buttons on the controller and forcing people to use keys they rarely or never use is beyond logic

Fix the mandatory keys and highlight those that are mandatory.

WadeOhh
08-05-2015, 05:45
Yep, totally agree.

This has been mentioned in numerous other posts so hopefully the devs see it. I think instead of highlighting mandatory ones, just ditch the mandatory keys all together. Like you said, if people drive out and something important doesn't work, they'll figure it out. Its harder work trying to figure out which mandatory key you've unbound to exit the config menu!

dvc
08-05-2015, 05:46
For whatever reason:
Look behind (facepalm)
KERS (oh come on now...)
Cycle camera
Handbrake
Maybe more...

But I don't see a reason behind anything being mandatory. I never use handbrake, to look behind I've got mittors and KERS being mandatory.. I'm sure that wasn't intended.

And as I mentioned in other post (hoping again that devs will see it) I'd love to see modifier button to have virtually more bind options and per car key binds :cool:

I know and understand this game was mainly developed for PC's so some things couldn't be so obvious

WadeOhh
08-05-2015, 05:52
KERS (oh come on now...)

KERS is mandatory!?!? Oh for the love of... I asked the question earlier in another post about how many cars use KERS and DRS. DRS is 1 car and KERS is 2 cars. I was excited as I had those 2 things bound to buttons on my wheel, taking up valuable button real estate (and annoyingly at the moment, because the Fanatec clutch pedal doesn't work, I have to have the clutch assigned to a button too). I was stoked to hear I would get 2 buttons back!

I'm at work right now so I couldn't test, but reading that KERS is mandatory, my head has dropped :( I guess I've only freed up 1 button. Thats ridiculous.

Liquid-Leeroy
08-05-2015, 06:34
Yeah, this mandatory key thing is, excuse my french but... fucking stupid.

This is just bad game design. Games are all about fun, and "mandatory" anything is pretty much the opposite of fun. If you're going to make something mandatory, you'd better have a damn good reason for it; forcing users to waste precious buttons on rarely-used actions is definitely not a good reason.

Get your shit together Slightly Mad, how the hell did this make it past QA!?

Chevi
08-05-2015, 07:21
Could someone give me a complete list of those really mandatory keys, please?

Zenzic
08-05-2015, 08:01
All buttons that have an assignment by default on the key configuration screen are mandatory. Don't know them by heart though.

Francorchamps
08-05-2015, 08:14
All buttons that have an assignment by default on the key configuration screen are mandatory. Don't know them by heart though.

So basically you just can't assign any keys?

Frippe
08-05-2015, 08:39
Also, the handbrake button is actually the clutch

GAT_Montana
08-05-2015, 08:43
In our comunity we found out a Workaround, try this:

after mapping the Buttons and before you try to left the menue hit the "Options" button and swith to the last point (menue&help). You will find yourself in the main menue and all mappings are stored!

Jan Studenski
08-05-2015, 08:57
...DRS is 1 car and KERS is 2 cars...

Nope
DRS are 3 cars (DTM, FA, McLaren P1) (watch out McLaren P1 you have to hold the button)
Manual KERS are 2 cars (Formula A, Formula B) (Formula A you have to hold the button, Formula B works like Pushtopass) - Automatic KERS is actually ie. on RWD LMP1, McLaren P1

About the thread: Yeah def. some stuff dont make very much sense here :(

dvc
09-05-2015, 01:23

after mapping the Buttons and before you try to left the menue hit the "Options" button and swith to the last point (menue&help). You will find yourself in the main menue and all mappings are stored!

Anyone else can confirm?
--------EDIT------
Yup. That works, just checked.

RacingBerzerker
09-05-2015, 07:52

Thank you, I'll give this a try.