PDA

View Full Version : No tire or brake sound?

thespeedracerx
08-05-2015, 06:11
Steam version. I turned engine volume down to 30%, pit/music off, master volume 100%, sound effects 90%. Whenever I apply the brakes, drift or do a burn out, there isn't any noise to indicate that it is happening. Is this a bug? I can't tell if the backend of a car is about to break loose till it is too late because there isn't auditory cursor. I can look in the rear view mirror and confirm smoke, but no sound of it happening. All I have is engine sound and crowd noise. Is this correct?

niwrA
08-05-2015, 07:03
I have the same issue. With headphones on, I can hear the sounds very faintly but they are almost impossible to make out. Perhaps it is a stereo mixing issue?

Aldo Zampatti
08-05-2015, 07:05
Weird. I do hear them pretty clear. Maybe is a per car basis?

Which cars have you tried so far?

thespeedracerx
08-05-2015, 14:14
Thank you for the replies. I swear it had sound yesterday and then last night, I noticed that a quick update came across when I launched the game via Steam and that is when the issues started to appear. I've tried mostly road cars, BMW 1 series, E30 and RUF GT3. I agree with niwrA, I wonder if this is some bug related to sound not coming from the motherboard audio out or something. He had headphones and I'm running the sound through HDMI. I may try to plug in some basic computer speakers and see what happens. Thanks for the input and ideas!

Aldo Zampatti
08-05-2015, 15:47
I've just gave the McLarenP1 a go in Brands Hatch, both tire and brake sounds are there. There were a little subtle to me, but I've tried on my laptop speakers so in headphones should be more accurate.
Try disabling the assist to get the wheels to spin and lock so you're sure they are there :)

thespeedracerx
09-05-2015, 16:47
Aldo, thanks for the reply. In response to working with the CSR configuration, I deleted and created a new profile. I think that may have helped a little. I just test drove the BMW 320 and got sound however, it is very faint and very hard to hear. Example, I got up to speed, put car in neutral and slammed on the brakes and at the end maybe just a little tire squeal. I lament that Project Cars, whereas there are more than ample variables for FFB, there are very few for sound. I think in Assetto Corsa, you could adjust the sound for these types of events. For me, starting back with GT and Forza 3, having the sound of the tires is a vital driver feedback. Again, along with the Rivali plugin on AC, at least I could visually see the load being put on each specific tire. I wonder if there is a way to ask the developers to add "Other Car Sounds" as a parameter?

Here is how I presently have my audio set:
Master = 100%
Music = 50%
Engine = 60%
Sound Effects = 80%
Pit to Car Radio = 100%

Perhaps they could break out Sound Effects to Car Sound Effects and Environmental Sound Effects. That would be a BIG help IMHO. If anyone knows of a file that I can tweak (ala Skyrim.ini's), please let me know. TIA.

Aldo Zampatti
09-05-2015, 17:00
Aldo, thanks for the reply. In response to working with the CSR configuration, I deleted and created a new profile. I think that may have helped a little. I just test drove the BMW 320 and got sound however, it is very faint and very hard to hear. Example, I got up to speed, put car in neutral and slammed on the brakes and at the end maybe just a little tire squeal. I lament that Project Cars, whereas there are more than ample variables for FFB, there are very few for sound. I think in Assetto Corsa, you could adjust the sound for these types of events. For me, starting back with GT and Forza 3, having the sound of the tires is a vital driver feedback. Again, along with the Rivali plugin on AC, at least I could visually see the load being put on each specific tire. I wonder if there is a way to ask the developers to add "Other Car Sounds" as a parameter?

Master = 100%
Music = 50%
Engine = 60%
Sound Effects = 80%
Pit to Car Radio = 100%

Perhaps they could break out Sound Effects to Car Sound Effects and Environmental Sound Effects. That would be a BIG help IMHO. If anyone knows of a file that I can tweak (ala Skyrim.ini's), please let me know. TIA.

Try turning up the engine sound a bit higher, it might help.
Anyway, Dr. Baysted expressed in this public forum regarding the braking sound, so the sound team is aware of the "issue". Although it is not a bug (IMHO), just a balance preference, to me personally is just fine, I don't need to hear those sounds louder, I prefer to feel it from the FFB which I do.

Other users and WMD members are in the same tune as you are, so maybe in the future we can see an independent slider or something, I'll report this anyway but keep in mind is it just a balance thing that should satisfy the most amount of users.

thanks a lot for your honest feedback and input, buddy!
AZ

Roger Prynne
09-05-2015, 17:27
I have everything set at 100% (except Music and Pit Radio which I turn off) and it sounds great.
Dr. Baysted our sound engineer recommended using 100% for now.

thespeedracerx
09-05-2015, 22:34
Dr. Baysted expressed in this public forum regarding the braking sound, so the sound team is aware of the "issue". Although it is not a bug (IMHO), just a balance preference, to me personally is just fine, I don't need to hear those sounds louder, I prefer to feel it from the FFB which I do.

Other users and WMD members are in the same tune as you are, so maybe in the future we can see an independent slider or something, I'll report this anyway but keep in mind is it just a balance thing that should satisfy the most amount of users.
AZ

Aldo and Roger, thank you for your reply! I look forward to the sound issue being addressed. I'll crank up the volume sliders based on your recommendations. Thank you for making me aware of the efforts to make a great game even better. Here's to flat bugs. See you on the track!

yusupov
09-05-2015, 22:36
i feel like in AC this is a bit OVERdone, but here it seems too lacking, would be nice to find a balance.

Pigmachine
09-05-2015, 23:04

Master = 100%
Music = 50%
Engine = 60%
Sound Effects = 80%
Pit to Car Radio = 100%

Perhaps they should break it down to your engine sounds and others too.. As I have more then double the volume on opponents engine, and hardly hear mine at all no matter what I set audio to!

thespeedracerx
10-05-2015, 21:23
Just wanted to add to the thread that I finally got to try my headphones, Soundblaster Evo Zx, and things were dramatically improved over the HDMI to TV speaker. Going over kerbs, etc. were far more audible, however, a tad more brake squeal would be perfect for me. Thanks again for all of the replies.

niwrA
11-05-2015, 06:05
I use HDMI out, so perhaps it is an issue only with that. Will try plugging in my headphones into the PC directly. And it is really an issue, not a preference thing. You can only hear them if you pay really, really close attention, it is clearly way too low under certain circumstances, so it's probably a digital stereo mixing issue or something like that.

simraysir
24-05-2015, 19:23
I also hear almost nothing from the tires. When i lose the rear wheels i don't feel it, i don't hear it. When i look in the mirror, i see the smoke......

madmax2069
24-05-2015, 19:35
Yeah ive ran into this issue before. Ran a race and notice I could not hear the tires or brake sounds, trying the race again (using the same car on the same track) the sounds was back (this was on free practice). Amd sometimes the engine is the sound you wont hear.

thespeedracerx
01-06-2015, 12:25
I also hear almost nothing from the tires. When i lose the rear wheels i don't feel it, i don't hear it. When i look in the mirror, i see the smoke......

I just wanted to quickly update this thread. Since creating the post, I got a 2.1 soundbar with a sub over optical. The difference is night and day. If you aren't going to use headphones, then consider upgrading the audio. The speakers in a flat panel, or any tv, just won't do the job. While I would still like some additional control over sound, things are substantially better and the auditory feedback is there where it wasn't before.

Smigro
04-06-2015, 18:36
I will throw my hat into the ring on this issue. I am playing on PS4 that is connected via HDMI to an Onkyo NR1008 which is connected via USB to my Panny 50G25...I am also using high sensitivity horn driven eD[c]12's speakers and a Rythmik FV15HP. When I am hot lapping by myself I normally set my volume a -17.5dB which is pretty loud and while the engine noise sounds great the tire squeal is almost non existent for me. There is a slight noise that I can hear if I strain, but TBH it sounds more like a brake pad tattle tail than it does a tire loosing traction on pavement.

Has anything else been addressed about this issue. Like other have stated, hearing tire squeal is one of the most important things for me and TBH I am really struggling to get my braking points right because I have a hard time getting an audible feedback.

Fanapryde
08-06-2015, 19:48
Exactly my fonding today with a Megane.
I could feel the car sliding, I saw massive smoke in the rear view mirror, but absolutely no sound of brakes or tires to confirm.
I certainly don't want screaming tires like in GT series, but some audible feedback would be nice.
Even engine volume at 60% and effects at 100% does not help.
Btw: if I crank up the engine sound, some cars (like the Audi R8) produce a cracking, stuttering sound in my rear speakers (I have a Logitech 5.1 THX connected via optical to the PS4)