PDA

View Full Version : Project Cars is like Gran Turismo (almost), why??

Iwanchek
08-05-2015, 06:30
first of all;
I was playing yesterday TT on a Nordschleife, and what I saw first is the stupid track limitations while driving, if you touch a barrier of hit it a bit-Lap Time invalided HITING THE BARRIER or going off the track. They could've done better with this one and I really don't undesrand why you stop counting my lap time b'coz I went off the track and no gaining any advantage in terms of time or overall lap time, instead I've to restart the session!!

Second;
Why can't I tune car(s) in time trail?! Or am I stupid to see something hidden or am I right. After choosing a car there's no any button or option where can I set up my car not to mention that I can't choose tyres for driving TT!!

Third;
Driving TT and I'll drive another car, I've to exit TT go bac all the way to chose another one and back again. Why didn't y'all implement garage right away so we can quick pick cars and that it?!

Those are "small" but important thing. It's like you've copyied gran turismos layout. It's a fun game, interesting indeed, but cmon, not to mention that you've to be a damn scientists to setup ps4 gamepad for manual changing gears.

IJerichoI
08-05-2015, 06:38
Hi Iwanchek, here is my view of this.

First: One is supposed to drive a clean lap. I don't see this as a gamebreaker, as however you wouldn't want to drive beside the road at Nordschleife in real life too. However, curbs are not part of this penalty system. I remember it beeing this way in MotoGP2 too, where you even got time clapped on, and with a littlebit of effort you get used to driving more clean laps. See this as an opportunity/feature ;)

Second: The time trial mode is used for leaderboards. To maintain comparability the car setup and track conditions should be fixed. If you want it otherwise, just use the free practice mode.

Third: IIRC there is the garage option selectable in the upper right corner (square button) where you can change your car from most of the menus.

Bealdor
08-05-2015, 06:40
first of all;
I was playing yesterday TT on a Nordschleife, and what I saw first is the stupid track limitations while driving, if you touch a barrier of hit it a bit-Lap Time invalided HITING THE BARRIER or going off the track. They could've done better with this one and I really don't undesrand why you stop counting my lap time b'coz I went off the track and no gaining any advantage in terms of time or overall lap time, instead I've to restart the session!!

If a driver leaves the track in a RL qualifying his lap will not count too, no matter if he gained time or not. Watch DTM qualifying for instance.

Second;
Why can't I tune car(s) in time trail?! Or am I stupid to see something hidden or am I right. After choosing a car there's no any button or option where can I set up my car not to mention that I can't choose tyres for driving TT!!

You can tune the car in the vehicle selection screen. Click on the right tab with the manufacturer logos.

Third;
Driving TT and I'll drive another car, I've to exit TT go bac all the way to chose another one and back again. Why didn't y'all implement garage right away so we can quick pick cars and that it?!

Admittedly the UI has some limitations and thats one of them.

Those are "small" but important thing. It's like you've copyied gran turismos layout. It's a fun game, interesting indeed, but cmon, not to mention that you've to be a damn scientists to setup ps4 gamepad for manual changing gears.

My answers are in your quote. :)

TenthDan
08-05-2015, 06:43
It's better in the end to force a higher standard of clean driving than allow extra leeway that leads to wall riding and other advantages. Yes it's frustrating especially on tracks like the Ring, but leads to cleaner leaderboards.

You can adjust car setup with the 'My Garage' button/option.

yusupov
08-05-2015, 06:44
unless i misunderstand the first rule makes since in a virtual game bc someone could theoretically 'wallbang' & use that to get a time advantage. check out the video here http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?22036-The-Bavarian-Legend-People-already-massively-cutting-corners it doesnt even have to be with a 'cheating' mindset...if the game lets you get away with something, ppl will just naturally do it. not sure but i dont think the guy who posted that video thought he was cheating & technically by the games logic he wasnt.

to have a car tuned for TT save a setup for it before entering, it can be saved either everywhere or to a particular track. i agree this is weird but its the only way right now.

not sure on the third, that sounds like some of the UI clumsiness that is an issue w/ this game.

Sankyo
08-05-2015, 06:49
If you get onto the grass or hit a wall, you won't be setting a great time anyway ;) And if you would, you're cheating :p

Iwanchek
08-05-2015, 07:00
On the "first", you got of the track or if you outbrake the car still lap will be invalided and not counting-why?? Why won't letting me to complete my lap with that mistake? It's obvoius that such thing as go out of the track without gaining any time advantage or hit a barrier gives you immediate stop counting ur lap time! I'm not amuse with this one and I hate it.

im against cheating like sliding on a carusell'barrier to gain more speed etc, or cutting corners to gain massive time and speed, but sliding completely of the track lap
Time stops immediately, tbh in a real word your time would be going till you finish the lap y'all know that. :)

Iwanchek
08-05-2015, 07:01
If you get onto the grass or hit a wall, you won't be setting a great time anyway ;) And if you would, you're cheating :p

Wou won't game let me to decide will I continue the lap or restarting the seassion? :)

yusupov
08-05-2015, 07:09
i think "why" is bc its difficult to always say for sure if going off track someone gained time or not. even IRL i dont think you are allowed an offtrack on a qualifying lap (even if it doesnt gain you time).

i guess i should actually try the mode :rolleyes: but, if youre specifically doing a TT, why would you want to complete the lap?? on nords especially that is a nightmare! (if you had to do it anyway in a videogame anyway)

i mean you do realize you can do hotlaps where none of this stuff will bother you by just practice mode right? TT is just for the leaderboards afaik & if you want a leaderboard time you need to run a clean lap, it makes sense to me...

Iwanchek
08-05-2015, 07:18
i think "why" is bc its difficult to always say for sure if going off track someone gained time or not. even IRL i dont think you are allowed an offtrack on a qualifying lap (even if it doesnt gain you time).

i guess i should actually try the mode :rolleyes: but, if youre specifically doing a TT, why would you want to complete the lap?? on nords especially that is a nightmare! (if you had to do it anyway in a videogame anyway)

i mean you do realize you can do hotlaps where none of this stuff will bother you by just practice mode right? TT is just for the leaderboards afaik & if you want a leaderboard time you need to run a clean lap, it makes sense to me...

If u want a leaderboard time and competitive lap time-agree clean lap must be but if ure like scratching the limit and get the feeling for the track and car such things are stupid. I'm not protesting against it in just saying in my opinions it's a stupid thing.

I'll need to configure how to setup the damn ps4 manual gearbox then I need to practice more. It's a nightmare to set this sh..t!!! ��

BOLT
08-05-2015, 07:20
Wou won't game let me to decide will I continue the lap or restarting the seassion? :)

When you enter time trial you are entering an event against other pcars users, even if they are not on track at the same time. The intent is to make this as fair as possible for everyone, to that end, if you drive a dirty lap just keep going and drive another. I understand this may be a drag on a large circuit such as Nord, but the rules set for you, are the same for all. If you just want to hotlap you have access to free practice where you can reset as often as you like while also adjusting your car set up.

Iwanchek
08-05-2015, 07:32
[QUOTE=BOLT;884611]When you enter time trial you are entering an event against other pcars users, even if they are not on track at the same time. The intent is to make this as fair as possible for everyone, to that end, if you drive a dirty lap just keep going and drive another. I understand this may be a drag on a large circuit such as Nord, but the rules set for you, are the same for all. If you just want to hotlap you have access to free practice where you can reset as often as you like while also adjusting your car set up.[/QUOTE

Agre-rules for everyone are equal, respect that. Me who drove every GT and this "rule"kill me every time. :)

axxion
08-05-2015, 10:27
After playing the game last night and getting something handed to me on a plate after selecting PRO, i kinda of agree about the lap time situation to a point.

Now i might have this wrong as it was late when i was playing but could the dirty lap situation just be used as a helpful way to improve one's self. So ok not include in the leader board as the lap was dirty but instead have it as a personal best, can you save this lap as a ghost like forza 4 did? It might already do this it's just i've not played enough yet........

yusupov
08-05-2015, 10:39
^^this is a good idea i think theres an app that can help with this (for PC, you dont have to have a tablet). im not sure if it saves times etc but i think it does: http://www.tomshane.cz/profiler/

this is assuming data isnt saved in practice sessions, im not sure. but yeah for practice -- just practice! i still havent gotten around to actually trying it (!) but to me it sounds like TT is a game mode, treated like a competition. so practicing before makes sense. if pCARS doesnt log your lap data -- & tbh id be surprised if it doesnt -- im 99% sure if you use that app you can collect & save detailed information, including sector times.

Roostaboosta
08-05-2015, 10:46
unless i misunderstand the first rule makes since in a virtual game bc someone could theoretically 'wallbang' & use that to get a time advantage. check out the video here http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?22036-The-Bavarian-Legend-People-already-massively-cutting-corners it doesnt even have to be with a 'cheating' mindset...if the game lets you get away with something, ppl will just naturally do it. not sure but i dont think the guy who posted that video thought he was cheating & technically by the games logic he wasnt.

to have a car tuned for TT save a setup for it before entering, it can be saved either everywhere or to a particular track. i agree this is weird but its the only way right now.

not sure on the third, that sounds like some of the UI clumsiness that is an issue w/ this game.

Perhaps you would be better off with GT6!

yusupov
08-05-2015, 10:51
??

ook

Yorkie065
08-05-2015, 11:17
If u want a leaderboard time and competitive lap time-agree clean lap must be but if ure like scratching the limit and get the feeling for the track and car such things are stupid. I'm not protesting against it in just saying in my opinions it's a stupid thing.

I'll need to configure how to setup the damn ps4 manual gearbox then I need to practice more. It's a nightmare to set this sh..t!!! ��

If you're wanting to learn a car or track use Free practice, not TT. There you can edit setups in the garage, and set the weather settings prior to starting the session. Cars tyres start off cold and the track start fairly green so it takes time for both to grip up meaning you'll need to take it easy for a couple of laps, but you get a much more accurate representation of what that car would be like to drive on that track in racing conditions.

TT is more for competing in optimum conditions on a track to get fastest times possible on the leaderboards.

Joethe147
08-05-2015, 13:54
At Hockenheim, you can go completely wide and off the track and it allows you to set the time, same goes for the going very wide at the second-last corner. I liked that in this example because there are some cases of going wide, off the track on tarmac run-off but not really gaining an advantage.

Though I would be interested to know, how does the game acknowledge, like in the case I just stated, that you did a legal lap?

Mad Al
08-05-2015, 14:09

if your car is undamaged you can continue... it's just the lap time is invalid (this is no different to Forza having a system where clean laps go above unclean ones in the leader boards.. we just discount the lap)

Daynja
09-05-2015, 10:34
Wheels past the white line. Race rule.Enough said about that. Lap time invalidated.Try harder not to leave the track limits.Thats the point of the penalty system, to not be abused and to make sure your doing your best within the tracl limits.

There is no if's or buts, that racing.

dyr_gl
09-05-2015, 10:51
You guys sure garage setup changes are kept for time trial? I'm second in the PS4 board for Barcelona Formula A event, with default setup. I gather that if setup was tuneable being up there with default would be impossible.

HarleyNut05883
09-05-2015, 15:40
Coming from playing GT6 this also bothers me a little bit too especially on the ring. What irritates me more is how sometimes it will invalidate the current lap and the next one. I understand not counting the current lap but why not count the next one too? I usually end up just restarting the whole thing over when it happens.

yusupov
09-05-2015, 16:15
You guys sure garage setup changes are kept for time trial? I'm second in the PS4 board for Barcelona Formula A event, with default setup. I gather that if setup was tuneable being up there with default would be impossible.

idk if you guys have differente events, bc i havent seen that one. but on PC the community event is m1 procar @ monza & it definitely loads your custom setup.

Iwanchek
16-05-2015, 09:44
Wheels past the white line. Race rule.Enough said about that. Lap time invalidated.Try harder not to leave the track limits.Thats the point of the penalty system, to not be abused and to make sure your doing your best within the tracl limits.

There is no if's or buts, that racing.

wrong, the rules are not on a track the same. one example, if u hit a barrier in "carusell", not like full speed hit, if u hit it under braking, you can continue the lap (??!!), soo, why is that??

i undesratnd that the rules are for everyone the same, i accept that fact, but the rules are bit stupid, if you dont gain any advantage why do i need to restart the seassion?

but ok :)

zorranco-
16-05-2015, 10:20
I usually compete to myself, I don't mind others hotlaps...so for me the problem is that times in free practice are not saved, even locally in your PC....

So if you want to deeply test a car but at the same time keep track of your times, you must enter my garage every time to setup, and go TT again...

SRT SPEEDY
16-05-2015, 12:35
Actually the pennalty is wery forgiving on the ring.

onimoD
17-05-2015, 11:15
??

ook

RIP Terry Pratchett.