PDA

View Full Version : Struggling to get a decent frame rate.

phusebox
08-05-2015, 07:04
My system:

CPU: i7 920 @ 3,3 GHz
RAM: 12 GB DDR3
GPU: AMD R290X
HDD: Samsung 830 SSD

So here I was thinking I should be able to run this game on high-ish settings. What I've tried is set Anisotropic to 4x, MSAA off, resolution down to 900p, everything on high except grass on low. This gets me an average of 35 FPS.

The weird thing is, if I chuck everything on high and turn anisotropic up to 8x and MSAA to high and switch to 1080p the average is still around 32 fps.

Are there any recommended settings for this card, as it is now I am going back to AC (which runs extremely smooth even up to 100fps at some point) as this is unplayable.

Mattias
08-05-2015, 07:10
The problem seems to be the drivers or something.

I use a 3 year old computer (GTX 670 and i5) and can run on Ultra with no shutter lags or issues with gameplay.
My friend however (GTX 980 and i7) have problems maxing things out, or even using the exact same settings as I have. Even on high he will experience shutter lags...

Not sure yet what is causing this, but I have a new gfx card arriving soon (GTX 970) and if it runs fine on my system it might not be a gpu problem, but rather cpu or something else?

I just hope this gets fixed soon, seems this only occurs for those with newer hardware.

phusebox
08-05-2015, 07:12
The problem seems to be the drivers or something.

I use a 3 year old computer (GTX 670 and i5) and can run on Ultra with no shutter lags or issues with gameplay.
My friend however (GTX 980 and i7) have problems maxing things out, or even using the exact same settings as I have. Even on high he will experience shutter lags...

Not sure yet what is causing this, but I have a new gfx card arriving soon (GTX 970) and if it runs fine on my system it might not be a gpu problem, but rather cpu or something else?

I just hope this gets fixed soon, seems this only occurs for those with newer hardware.

Well it's not like I got the newest of hardware, it is also pretty old (except for the GPU maybe). Strange to hear someone with a GTX 980 suffering as I have read it is mostly AMD that is suffering, feels like favoritism by the developers. Maybe the cash nvidia brought helped.

IJOJOI
08-05-2015, 07:12
Well it's not like I got the newest of hardware, it is also pretty old (except for the GPU maybe). Strange to hear someone with a GTX 980 suffering as I have read it is mostly AMD that is suffering, feels like favoritism by the developers. Maybe the cash nvidia brought helped.

AMD is already working on the issue, shouldn't take long form now on...
It's AMD fault in this case, since the driver overhead is quite big, an pCars is CPU heavy.

thisisbleep
08-05-2015, 07:13
There are a few issues with AMD GPUs at the moment, the performance is a long way off of what nvidia GPUs currently have, hopefully the next driver update will help.

Regarding the settings, check here: http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?22038-Spa-stuttering-like-crazy&p=884119&viewfull=1#post884119

Aldo Zampatti
08-05-2015, 07:16
Indeed, Please read my posting in HERE (http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?22008-Terrible-framerate-on-AMD-Crossfire-setup&p=884044&viewfull=1#post884044)

AMD Single Card and crossfire, still needs some love from AMD. Good news is AMD is hard at work on that issue hoping for a driver fix soon!

Few things to have in mind:
1) This game is VERY next-gen so it will make any system suffer at Higher settings (do not even try all ultras!!)
2) Sometimes difference between low and high while driving is not noticeable.
3) Try all mediums, not high.
4) Try AMD Beta drivers (15.4) They way much better for PCARS
5) If you dare, Windows10 ripped drivers actually perform better than 15.4 (this is at your own risk, very UNSUPPORTED scenario!) (http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=5053566&postcount=1)

Crank up anisotropic to 16x, no issues with that, Keep AA to HIGH or disable AA and enable LOW FXAA. That works too.
Reflections and Environment MAP are KILLER. Please keep them Low or Medium! (specially if you drive Cockpit cam as they won't make much of a difference graphically.

Let us know! :)

EDIT: How do I get ninja'd and linked to my own Ninja post elsewhere ?? ;)

phusebox
08-05-2015, 07:20
I'll give it a go, but I have to say that the beta (a friend installed it and got me hooked) worked better, with much smoother framerates.

IJOJOI
08-05-2015, 07:22
I'll give it a go, but I have to say that the beta (a friend installed it and got me hooked) worked better, with much smoother framerates.
Because the older driver actually worked better than the new one...

Aldo Zampatti
08-05-2015, 07:23
Maybe, but lot's of optimizations went through the last 250-300 builds aprox with over 100% increase in performance overall (I'm not exagerating!).

But PCARS is very system dependant as is very CPU Heavy (and obviously GPU!) because of physics. This and AMD currently is suffering from a lot of CPU overhead with its drivers, That's why they're working around the clock to get it fixed.

Be sure to check here often as I'll (very happily) post here once a good driver is released!

phusebox
08-05-2015, 07:50
Well it helped somewhat, although it looks more like an Xbox 360 game now, but still my framerate is around 35-40 with maximum highs of 45.

I now know why I got out of PC gaming over a decade ago... too bad I invested 400+ euro's just to play this game and find out it won't even run better than it would on an inferior game console.

Aldo Zampatti
08-05-2015, 15:15
Well it helped somewhat, although it looks more like an Xbox 360 game now, but still my framerate is around 35-40 with maximum highs of 45.

I now know why I got out of PC gaming over a decade ago... too bad I invested 400+ euro's just to play this game and find out it won't even run better than it would on an inferior game console.

Your GPU is fine, but CPU-wise you're probably getting bottlenecked (is that even a word?:) )
Physics in Project Cars are quite heavy to be able to sustain 600hz (600 physics update per second) so CPU is VERY important. So if you are one of the Red GPU Users (as I am), you'll be a little bit in a worse situation temporarily, since actually AMD Drivers with PCARS has quite a heavy CPU Overhead.

Bear with us a few days/week and we should have some news regarding AMD driver and this will help you heavily. AMD is really working on this

EDIT: One more thing, you may want to try -pthreads 4 on the steam Launch Parameters
In Steam, Right Click in Project CARS, Properties. Set Launch Options and write -pthreads 4 in there.

This would aid better distributions of physics threads which defaults to 2 and it *might* help

Matthew Beavis
08-05-2015, 21:28
I am having similar issues. Although the FPS does spike to 80ish occasionally, most of the time my FPS is 50 or much less and I am in free practice by myself. I do maintain 80ish at some parts of the circuit but as soon as it gets busy on screen, it will drop to 50 then as it gets very busy It can drop to 35 - 40. I did lower the settings to lowest possible. Didn't stutter as much but still happened as soon as the screen got pretty.

There is also a lot of flickering. At Brands hatch I also get, what I can only describe as a black grid in the distance through the first 2 corners. This may be caused by the elevation on the track as it appears no where else. Has anyone else experienced this.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but on a single 24" Monitor at 1080p, I should be able to play this game with just the odd tweak to the settings to maintain a good fps, not having to lower to the lowest just to make it slightly playable.

Please help. This game is awesome and I haven't had a chance to play yet and I am tearing my hair out. BF4 is smooth as silk still and so is iRacing (although it is a very dated engine still able to get very very gd fps on High. AF 16X AA at 4X).

What confuses me is that I have a pretty fresh install, used for iRacing pCars and BF4 only. CPU isn't being stressed and neither is the GPU and I have plenty of RAM spare.

Is it the drivers that have been mentioned, or is it my system?

Please help me I am tired of fiddling, I want to play this fantastic game :)

Umer Ahmad
08-05-2015, 21:31
How many opponents are you running? I got fairly old/weak GPUs and I usually keep it down to about 12-15 max. More opponents means more things to draw

Also, SMS is in heavy communications right now with AMD about boosting the AMD performance. Both teams (AMD/SMS) are investigating

Aldo Zampatti
08-05-2015, 21:31
I am having similar issues. Although the FPS does spike to 80ish occasionally, most of the time my FPS is 50 or much less and I am in free practice by myself. I do maintain 80ish at some parts of the circuit but as soon as it gets busy on screen, it will drop to 50 then as it gets very busy It can drop to 35 - 40. I did lower the settings to lowest possible. Didn't stutter as much but still happened as soon as the screen got pretty.

There is also a lot of flickering. At Brands hatch I also get, what I can only describe as a black grid in the distance through the first 2 corners. This may be caused by the elevation on the track as it appears no where else. Has anyone else experienced this.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but on a single 24" Monitor at 1080p, I should be able to play this game with just the odd tweak to the settings to maintain a good fps, not having to lower to the lowest just to make it slightly playable.

Please help. This game is awesome and I haven't had a chance to play yet and I am tearing my hair out. BF4 is smooth as silk still and so is iRacing (although it is a very dated engine still able to get very very gd fps on High. AF 16X AA at 4X).

What confuses me is that I have a pretty fresh install, used for iRacing pCars and BF4 only. CPU isn't being stressed and neither is the GPU and I have plenty of RAM spare.

Is it the drivers that have been mentioned, or is it my system?

Please help me I am tired of fiddling, I want to play this fantastic game :)

Please refer to this post:
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?22375-Technical-TroubleShooting-Steps-WIP-NO-CHAT-PLEASE

Specially due to the AMD part of your post!

Matthew Beavis
08-05-2015, 22:23
Wow! That was very quick. Thank you.

Yes, Information! Now I can have a guided tinker. Fingers crossed these new drivers help me.

Tedders
08-05-2015, 23:03
Just wanted to throw this out there to the AMD users. With my crossfire setup I get pretty good utilization with the 15.4 drivers. That being said, Aldo recommended to us a while back that we turn VSync on and use MSI afterburner to cap frames at 60fps. For me, I don't notice any input lag with VSync on, but a lot of that is subjective so your mileage may vary. With VSync on and frames capped at 60FPS I get a really smooth frame rate. For me before this, I was getting decent FPS but it still felt choppy as there was a lot of variance in frame timing. I think this will help with single card AMD users as well, but I know for me it really helped with my crossfire setup. I hope this can help other people too.

Aldo, do we know if we will be able to get some of the threads from the WMD forum over here? The AMD/ATI FPS thread could be useful.

Aldo Zampatti
09-05-2015, 00:23
Just wanted to throw this out there to the AMD users. With my crossfire setup I get pretty good utilization with the 15.4 drivers. That being said, Aldo recommended to us a while back that we turn VSync on and use MSI afterburner to cap frames at 60fps. For me, I don't notice any input lag with VSync on, but a lot of that is subjective so your mileage may vary. With VSync on and frames capped at 60FPS I get a really smooth frame rate. For me before this, I was getting decent FPS but it still felt choppy as there was a lot of variance in frame timing. I think this will help with single card AMD users as well, but I know for me it really helped with my crossfire setup. I hope this can help other people too.

Aldo, do we know if we will be able to get some of the threads from the WMD forum over here? The AMD/ATI FPS thread could be useful.

Nope, not the thread, but I'm collating the most important generic bits regarding performance and troubleshooting.

What you've said is 100% correct, mileage might vary, and is very subjective, but all those parameters are there in the guide I'm building up :) Thanks Tedders!

(for all those none-WMD, I was the AMD Benchmark guy since about halfway through the project!) :)

Tedders
09-05-2015, 00:44
Nope, not the thread, but I'm collating the most important generic bits regarding performance and troubleshooting.

What you've said is 100% correct, mileage might vary, and is very subjective, but all those parameters are there in the guide I'm building up :) Thanks Tedders!

(for all those none-WMD, I was the AMD Benchmark guy since about halfway through the project!) :)

Makes sense Aldo! Although, I bet you have a LOT of stuff to sort through!

Aldo Zampatti
09-05-2015, 02:28
Makes sense Aldo! Although, I bet you have a LOT of stuff to sort through!

Not that much actually, my brain is unsorted though :P

Regarding AMD, luckily is being worked at heavily between SMS and AMD. So (fingers crossed!) we should have news soon

phusebox
10-05-2015, 09:17
Well for my cpu being bottleneck, I see people playing on two to three year old i5 so my i7 920 should still be able to keep up with that right? Shelling out another few hundred bucks for a crippled game so it might just work is not an option.

Currently I have blurring off and some other effects and everything set to low and I still only manage 30 fps max. Average is around 25fps when I have a medium sized field of cars on a race.

Aldo Zampatti
10-05-2015, 09:25
Well for my cpu being bottleneck, I see people playing on two to three year old i5 so my i7 920 should still be able to keep up with that right? Shelling out another few hundred bucks for a crippled game so it might just work is not an option.

Currently I have blurring off and some other effects and everything set to low and I still only manage 30 fps max. Average is around 25fps when I have a medium sized field of cars on a race.

Maybe I phrased myself wrong. Your CPU isn't the fastest but that's not the root cause.

AMD Drivers are probably the root cause, as for now, they're creating quite a huge CPU Overhead in PCARS avoiding to squeeze all your GPU Power. AMD is actively working on this issue though

N0body Of The Goat
10-05-2015, 09:25

Please add your system spec (including any overclock) to your forum "signature."

If you have a weak cpu, like my old Q9300 for instance, even "low" detailed grass will have a negative affect on framerate.

For a little experiment, try turning shadows "off" and then drive a track with some clouds. Nice framerate boost?

The modded Windows 10 drivers http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=398523 give a good boost too.

phusebox
10-05-2015, 09:34
Please add your system spec (including any overclock) to your forum "signature."

If you have a weak cpu, like my old Q9300 for instance, even "low" detailed grass will have a negative affect on framerate.

For a little experiment, try turning shadows "off" and then drive a track with some clouds. Nice framerate boost?

The modded Windows 10 drivers http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=398523 give a good boost too.

Can't use the modified drivers as I am on W7.

YDS55
10-05-2015, 09:36
There are a few issues with AMD GPUs at the moment, the performance is a long way off of what nvidia GPUs currently have, hopefully the next driver update will help.

Regarding the settings, check here: http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?22038-Spa-stuttering-like-crazy&p=884119&viewfull=1#post884119

I haven't seen a driver update from AMD for a long long time.

N0body Of The Goat
10-05-2015, 09:38
Can't use the modified drivers as I am on W7.

Have you tried installing them (after following instructions to Disable Driver Signature Enforcement)?

"These are WHQL drivers posted on windows update a few days ago in Win10, but modified to install on Windows 7/8.x" is the very first line of the post. ;)

I don't know, I'm on 8.1, but the opening sentence suggests they work. :)

phusebox
10-05-2015, 09:55
Have you tried installing them (after following instructions to Disable Driver Signature Enforcement)?

"These are WHQL drivers posted on windows update a few days ago in Win10, but modified to install on Windows 7/8.x" is the very first line of the post. ;)

I don't know, I'm on 8.1, but the opening sentence suggests they work. :)

And further down it says, or said a few days ago at least, try on W7 at your own risk. As this might create issues with windows.

phusebox
10-05-2015, 10:16
I give up. Uninstalling this and going back to AC. Looks miles better and runs smooth.

I currently have a game that looks like an Xbox 360 could easily handle, no shadows, no reflections, jaggies like a 16 bit game and still manages to stutter.

I have been trying to get it set up FFB and graphics wise and cost me 12+ hours and still it is not anywhere near acceptable.

Tedders
10-05-2015, 13:08
Sorry to see you leave. As others have said, its AMD's problem, not SMS's. Have a little patience (more than a couple days after release of the game) and AMD should have something for us.

wobbly
10-05-2015, 13:16
I run a i7 4790 with a Sapphire 290X and struggle to get 60fps on high settings.

Tedders
10-05-2015, 13:18
See my signature. I struggle to get 60fps as well with mostly medium settings. I still enjoy the heck out of this though. Aldo has some great suggestions along with mine earlier in the thread to make it work pretty well though.

BullWinkle
10-05-2015, 13:22
I run a i7 4790 with a Sapphire 290X and struggle to get 60fps on high settings.

Please be patient. AMD are working on poor performance issue. It is a driver issue on there end.:)

phusebox
10-05-2015, 13:48
Well just one more time:

Specs:
i7 920 now at 3.3 GHZ
12 GB DDR3
R9 290X 4GB DDR5
Samsung 830 SSD
Clean install of W7

Game settings:
Aa: off
Fxaa: off
Smaa: off
Grass: off
Shadows: low
Environment: low
Reflections: low
Car detail: medium
Track detail: high
Blur: off

And what does it get me with 16 opponents? 25 fps average with maximums of 35 fps.

phusebox
10-05-2015, 13:55
But even if the graphics would magically get a 300% boost with the new drivers, that only sorts out one if the many issues with this game.

Can't get my fanatec gt2 to properly work, the FFB files from around here were rubbish they made it even less controllable. And then there is the worst AI in a racing game since F1 on the MegaDrive. Not to mention the bugs and crashes

Animalosity
10-05-2015, 14:40
As a 295x2 user, my recommendation for you is to turn down the Grass settings, and shadows. Your i7 should help with physics such as high/ultra particles, though the game clearly isn't optimized for AMD GPU's yet leaving CPU overhead to appear as there is a bottleneck. Also HyperThreading is pretty much pointless in just about any video game since most games don't understand virtualization. I'm guessing your GPU usage doesn't go above 70% as does mine as well.

The best thing to do at this point is if you haven't already, update to driver 15.4 beta, and disable/reduce the following options: Motion Blur, MSAA (off), Detailed Grass (Low), Shadows (Low to Medium), Particles (Medium), Track Detail (low/medium), Environment Map (Low) and Frame Renderer Ahead to 1. Also as a side note, In Steam Launch Options, add: -skipcrowds. Should get some better frame rates with those settings. MSI Afterburner is a great tool to see where your GPU and CPU usage is being utilized at. Your hardware is sufficient enough to get very playable frame rates. Try those particular options I suggested in addition to Vsync (On). Lastly, ensure your Steam broadcast is disabled. Let me know what you are getting after those changes. Like I said, I have a 295x2 which is dual 290x's on one PCB. An odd "bug" i've ran into is sometimes the game thinks I'm in windowed mode thus disabling Crossfire every now and then. Sometimes I notice frame rate dips then going down into the 40's ish, but depending on map, I can otherwise maintain a consistent 60 or so even on 1 GPU. Vsync seems to fix many issues for us Team Red users, and I hardly ever utilize it in any other game. The microstutter is absurd, so AMD needs to get a driver with frame pacing enhancments out ASAP for a Project Cars profile.

Anyway, hope this helps. Let me know what you come up with.

Raikku
10-05-2015, 18:05
My problem, with not good enough fps's, is mainly some kind of "grid effect" which is over graphics and of course make graphics even more worse.
I use 1920x1080 with Sony 50" tv, as with other sims(iRacing, AC, RRE, GSC, rF1 and 2 etc etc) and this is only game where I've seen this
problem. My settings is some high some medium.

Would even say that PS4-version is better(I have it also), of course it's too soft when looked close(~1m in my case) and white line smearing is bad.
But it doesn't has that grid-anomaly and it runs smoother.

Aldo Zampatti
10-05-2015, 18:36
Just for you all to have another reference

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?22797-AMD-graphics-bad-optimization&p=890170&viewfull=1#post890170

He's the head of the Studio so, he's kind of authorized word :)

Bear with us just a few days, guys!

Matthew Beavis
10-05-2015, 21:37
I have now updated the drivers to 15.4 and it is much smoother. Nowhere near what I still expect from pcars, but the game is now very playable and I am enjoying it immensley.

If you have an AMD card, download the beta drivers and you will be able to enjoy pCars until they fix the issue officially.

Aldo Zampatti
11-05-2015, 00:29
I have now updated the drivers to 15.4 and it is much smoother. Nowhere near what I still expect from pcars, but the game is now very playable and I am enjoying it immensley.

If you have an AMD card, download the beta drivers and you will be able to enjoy pCars until they fix the issue officially.

And just FYI, Windows 10 way smoother than 15.4 For those who are daredevils to try :)

phusebox
11-05-2015, 05:19

I had 15.4 since day one and still have these issues. Considering the technical preview of W10.

Arkymedes
11-05-2015, 09:48
phusebox, I have a VERY modest PC compared to yours and I'm playing the game right now at 50-60 FPS (19 AI) with everything ON/High where applicable, except Detailed Grass.

Before I used to have 15-25 FPS in average and it was horrible.

I did however installed the Windows 10 Preview to get those frame rates. It's a shame that Project Cars launch was tainted with this release by AMD but I blame both companies in releasing a game in this state to such a huge percentage of their users. It's absolutely impossible that no one previewed the game using some common setups and noticed the abherration that it was.

For illustration, here are my specs:

AMD FX-6350 (OC to 4GHz)
Sapphire Radeon R9 280 Dual-X
16GB RAM

And here it goes a screen taken yesterday at 2560x1080

TrevorAustin
11-05-2015, 10:26
Well just one more time:

Specs:
i7 920 now at 3.3 GHZ
12 GB DDR3
R9 290X 4GB DDR5
Samsung 830 SSD
Clean install of W7

Game settings:
Aa: off
Fxaa: off
Smaa: off
Grass: off
Shadows: low
Environment: low
Reflections: low
Car detail: medium
Track detail: high
Blur: off

And what does it get me with 16 opponents? 25 fps average with maximums of 35 fps.

I have similar specs, I get about 12-15 FPS on the start grid, peaks at 37 when I'm on my own and yes, averages low 20s.

I've got a GTX970 turning up, hopefully today, to do a direct comparison with.

Aldo Zampatti
11-05-2015, 12:33
I did however installed the Windows 10 Preview to get those frame rates. It's a shame that Project Cars launch was tainted with this release by AMD but I blame both companies in releasing a game in this state to such a huge percentage of their users. It's absolutely impossible that no one previewed the game using some common setups and noticed the abherration that it was.

I think that AMD knew about performance. I also think they had access to the game well before it went gold. Luckily it has been stated that they are both workin around the clock looking into drivers, so it will get addressed soon

phusebox
11-05-2015, 12:36
Well I installed W10 preview, and I must say it improved instantly. I now get highs of around 90-100fps and an average around 60 fps.

Aldo Zampatti
11-05-2015, 12:45
Well I installed W10 preview, and I must say it improved instantly. I now get highs of around 90-100fps and an average around 60 fps.

Sad you had to go for a Beta OS and all the trouble.

Happy you can enjoy the game now :)

TrevorAustin
11-05-2015, 12:56
Interesting, is the game also improved on Nvidia with windows 10? As I have now found the rift can work in 10.

Aldo Zampatti
11-05-2015, 13:53
Interesting, is the game also improved on Nvidia with windows 10? As I have now found the rift can work in 10.

I don't have any reports of such a difference in nVidia. My laptop w/Win10 looks the same as Win8.1 in terms of performance though