PDA

View Full Version : BUGS in: Oculus Rift DK2 / VR / Hope for better future

Ruszek83
08-05-2015, 10:55
Well, i must say that i am little disapointed in the support of Rift in the P.Cars.
I guess i expected it to be fully implemented, silly me ;)

No hate.. game is awsome and i know with future updates the Oculus Rift or other VR headsets will get better.
I sum up some of my ideas and things that are a deal breaker (in VR standpoint) for me, and i will update this list whenever i discover positives and negatives.
My setup:
i7 2600K @4.8Ghz
16Gb DDR3 RAM
SSD Drive
2x Asus GTX780 (SLI)
T300 + Fanatec V2 pedals + Racing seat.
Monitor: OCULUS RIFT DK2
Using OBS for monitor mirror when i am in the menu with Oculus Rift... BE AWARE THAT FRAPS IS BREAKING OBS !

(keep in mind i am only pointing out MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCES, if there is a fix for some of those points please enlighten me):

1. MENU !!!!! - Come on guys... this is not that hard ! And it is a MUST HAVE !
1. SHADOWS!!! - They are breaking the game, depth perception gets wierd and shadows are not implemented so that it can be used with DK2.
2. Sun Dlare Exterior/Interior - Flickering and with head tilt or changing positioning ligting changes between sun flare or no sun flare at all...
3. Head tracking/Positioning - Maybe it is my issue, but whenever i try to moove closer to the wheel (Foreward. when iside the car) the tracking is taking memore to the left and up... - Not tracking OR DK2 correctly.

Please leave coments on your experiences with DK2!

Cheerz
Michael

dennisvanderpool
08-05-2015, 12:37
I've bought the game because of Oculus Rift support, but came to conclusion that i don't want to play the game if i can't properly use the menus.
I want to experience the full game, not just the racing part...

Landrake
08-05-2015, 12:51
I agree with all of the problems you found, but I was able to solve the head tracking/position problem by using the helmet camera (I think that's what it's called). That is the only camera that uses head positioning. There is another camera with a similar view that doesn't track. I cycled through the views to find the proper one.

CrustyA
08-05-2015, 12:53
Yeah, the shadow issue was bugging me. Found that if I just turn shadows off in the video settings I can use the DK2 again.
Not ideal, but I can live with this work-around for now.

I've also found that I as long as I launch it with the DK2 on, i can then turn the DK2 off and navigate the menus on the monitor as usual then flip the DK2 back on before starting the race. Again, not ideal but for now it'll do.

crowtrobot
08-05-2015, 12:54
I've bought the game because of Oculus Rift support, but came to conclusion that i don't want to play the game if i can't properly use the menus.
I want to experience the full game, not just the racing part...
As Ruszek83 mentioned above, try using OBS to mirror your Rift on your desktop. Not ideal, but it makes the experience worlds better, and isn't terribly more painful than getting most other Rift games up and running.

wwwHolmiz
08-05-2015, 13:00
As Ruszek said: Use OBD for monitor mirror.
You can get it free here: https://obsproject.com

Here is my comments about this: post (http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?21846-PLEASE-READ-How-to-report-issues&p=885259&viewfull=1#post885259)

m00ndancer
08-05-2015, 15:02
As Ruszek said: Use OBD for monitor mirror.
You can get it free here: https://obsproject.com

Here is my comments about this: post (http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?21846-PLEASE-READ-How-to-report-issues&p=885259&viewfull=1#post885259)

Thanks for the tip on the software!

ChrisSoutham
08-05-2015, 18:19
I've got the DK2 plugged in, extended mode. OSB is set up and working but cycling through the cameras and I'm not getting any sort of support.
Any particular settings I've got to switch on/off to get VR?

ctd
08-05-2015, 18:32
Hang in there guys. Patches are on it's way. :)

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?21856-Oculus-rift-DK2-Setup-Guide&p=886668&viewfull=1#post886668

could_do_better
08-05-2015, 18:39
Bear in mind the Oculus is still changing at a rate of knots. It is in development itself after all.

The Devs are committed to full Oculus support and it will happen, but will only firm-up as CV1 approaches. VR is the future of racing games but at the moment there are higher priorities. DK2 owners are in a serious minority even less than the triple screen owners i would imagine. I am afraid Oculus support right now is simply proof of concept, but all the bells and whistles will appear when the CV1 is locked down.

hookman
08-05-2015, 19:39
I've got to races in the rain, and the tail lights of the other cars are reflected in the track. Unfortunately they are not rendered correctly so it makes it very hard on the eyes.

Does anyone know a gfx setting that can disable those tail light reflections on the track? I've tried lowering all the settings I can think of but nothing has helped...

Looking forward to proper DK2 support here, hopefully some time soon!

Ruszek83
09-05-2015, 08:41
I don't have same issue with taillights. They are hardly visable in the rain, try setting reflections to low or turn it off.

hookman
10-05-2015, 13:17
I don't have same issue with taillights. They are hardly visable in the rain, try setting reflections to low or turn it off.

Thanks for making me check again... it was "Stretched Headlight Reflections" causing the problem. Once I turned that off all is good!

lugduweb
10-05-2015, 17:45
That's a shame : the game is supposed to support Oculus Rift VR but the menus are not in VR !
How that can be possible ?
It's not serious !
Gets me sick after one race.

monty585
21-05-2015, 18:34
yes everyone. use OBS. hit the preview button, start the game, quickly right click the preview and go to full screen. then alt tab to project cars. it works great.

BUT MAKE SURE TO SET YOUR OBS FRAMERATE TO VERY LOW. It was killing my oculus feed at 1080 and 30 frames. I put it to 5 frames and it's still totatlly great for menu navigation.

monty585
22-05-2015, 17:47
Last night I was testing it out more, I had obs set at 500 kbps limit and on 2fps (that's right, two fps). Theres was virtually no drop in framerate to the oculus. On my titan x is went from 110-180fps to ~108-178. Ok, so maybe like a 2fps drop, but negligible. The menus were easily workable with 2fps.

Also, make sure your rift is your main display. That way you can set 1080p at 74hz in the visuals menu. Those 15 frames were definitely noticeable.

Oh yeah, did I mention that this is the most beautiful game in the history of time? That is all.

monty585
26-05-2015, 02:20
Scratch that. I use the turn off/on method now. OBS was actually taxing things quite a bit.