PDA

View Full Version : [DELIVERED 1.4] motion control on DS4?

Fingermouse
08-05-2015, 10:59
Update (for those reading this thread for the first time): Motion controls were added in the 1.4 patch (thank you for listening, SMS!). To enable them, just go to control assignments, select the 'turn left' and 'turn right' settings and tilt the controller while assigning a command.

Original post:

Despite my collection of wheels for other systems, I don't have anything that works on the PS4 (yet), but I was optimistic that I'd be able to use my Dualshock 4 controller as a wheel (I have a clip-in wheel surround for the controller).

I've searched high and low but it looks like this isn't an option. Seriously? Have I missed something or is motion control not available in Project Cars?

It seems like my only option (aside from investing in a wheel - yes, I know) is to drive with my thumb using a tiny joystick. Wow - that's immersion for you. All the settings in the world aren't going to compensate for this...

If there is DS4 motion control in Project Cars, please for the love of God tell me how to enable it. If not, then a) I really shouldn't have bothered buying this game until I have a wheel that works with it, and b) Why the hell is it not included? Even DriveClub has this feature (which it barely needs).

hkraft300
08-05-2015, 11:54
This isn't forza/gt/drive club/NFS... it's a sim made to be played with a wheel.

I think the developers have done a stellar job of allowing plenty of adjustment options to make the best of a DS4 and make it more than usable.

Until i get a wheel, i'm not complaining about having to use my DS4.

MysterG
08-05-2015, 12:01
Motion control is not utilised. It was looked at during development though and not just forgotten about or dismissed out of hand.

Fingermouse
08-05-2015, 13:18
I get that it's a game (okay, simulation) that works better with a dedicated wheel, but why cripple controller use by not utilising the motion controls? They're good enough on the DS4 to match what Microsoft did with the Speed Wheel on the 360 - it wasn't anywhere as good as a fixed wheel but it was still much more precise than thumb controls.

Why not at least give us the choice? I've been looking forward to Projects Cars for a very long time, and was happy when I read that controller use would be 'competitive' with wheel. Great that we can remap every control and fine-tune steering, but I don't get the point in ignoring the motion sensor completely. If it's not 'optimal' for some people, no problem. But other developers have included it in their games which require a lot less precision - I don't get why Project cars wouldn't even include it as an option, given that it's a lot more precise for many users.

I will get a PS4 wheel at some point (to add to my collection) but I'm seriously disappointed in Project Cars right now.

Bodster
08-05-2015, 13:33
I also think there should be an option to use motion controls with the ds4 and was surprised it was not implemented. Yes its a sim (ish) and possibly designed to be used with a wheel but this is a console. A lot of consoles are in the living room under a tv with no option for sticking a wheel to a desk (my Mrs would love that!!).

I think the motion controls are very well implemented in Drive club. This is a feature that the ds4 supports and surely could of been included as a control option.

They want it played\accessible by everyone which is why you can tweak every other aspect of the controls and assists.

I also had the speed wheel on the xbox 360 and was a lot quicker than i was with a thumb stick, same applies to the ds4 with driveclub.

AlienMudPig
08-05-2015, 15:32
I agree wholeheartedly with Fingermouse and Bodster. I just downloaded Project Cars which I've been looking forward to for months and the first thing I did was try to setup my DS4 steering to use the motion sensors. I'm absolutely astonished that Project Cars doesn't support that feature of the DS4 and if I'd have known that a few hours ago I most definitely would NOT have shelled out £45 for it.

To me this makes the game unusable. I'm so used to steering with the DS4 motion in DriveClub and the Xbox Speed Wheel before that in Forza that I have no desire to re-learn steering with a stupid little thumb stick. Who could possibly think that the joystick is more realistic than a steering wheel? I'm not a happy bunny!

Zenoludico
08-05-2015, 16:03
I'm disappointed as well. I could not use effectively a wheel, because i don't have a desk in front of my ps4.
Don't know what to do right now.
The joypad is definitely ineffective.

Bodster
08-05-2015, 20:38
Its good to see that others think that motion controls should of at least been an option. Maybe it will be added in a future update. I hope so anyway.

Padmod
08-05-2015, 21:53
I know a lot of you are dissapointed but please don't dismiss the game so easily. SMS have but a collosal amount of effort into being able to tweak every aspect of the games controls regardless if you're using a pad or a wheel. The game can still feel great with a controller, you just need to put a little time into tweaking it to fit you :)

Hope to see you on track!

stelladel
09-05-2015, 11:03
I waited for this,while I appreciate this is SIM'ish, and like others who have posted on this thread I too have limited room so the "motion sensor" was an important factor, but hey ho it isn't there and I don't like the controller setup. In fact there are companies out there selling Project Cars bundled with the "PS4 Compact Racing Wheel" which is motion sensor dependent, so maybe they should sort this out sharpish or there will be a lot of games being returned because the whole package is being sold incorrectly.

http://www.very.co.uk/playstation-4-ps4-500gb-with-project-cars-ps4-compact-racing-wheel-and-optional-extra-dualshock-4-controller/1460268852.prd

GreyXK
09-05-2015, 11:47
I really hope the developers re-visit the motion control for steering in this otherwise excellent game.

I'd happily spend money on a compatible steering wheel, just for this game alone, however there is not currently a wheel that I can use.
I'm disabled and cannot use the pedals for acceleration/breaking. I posted here asking if there was a suitable wheel available and so far it seems there is not.

So, I struggle on with the joystick steering and it is not satisfactory. Yes I'm getting better at controlling the joystick but it doesn't feel as 'real' as tilting the controller like a wheel.

It would not distract from the game if the option to steer via motion control was implemented. Those with wheels and those who like the thumb joystick steering would just ignore the option, but for us who have no other choice it would be a godsend.

Please SMS, do your bit for your disabled customers. Add motion control and you'd make this wheelchair user very happy (playing heart-strings here, YES, but it's a genuine request).

Fingermouse
11-05-2015, 08:57
I've now had a fair bit of time on Project Cars, being limited to using the DS4 sticks for steering. As others have pointed out, even if I get a PS4 wheel, I'll still need to use the controller if I just want a quick game in front of the TV streaming via my PSTV.

My conclusion: steering with the thumbsticks absolutely stinks in this game. I've tried stacks of settings and still it seems to be impossible to actually control the car smoothly. Watching from helmet view, even at lowest settings the wheel just jerks left and right far too quickly - nobody would ever intentionally drive like that. I'm not new to driving games - been through pretty much every Forza and Gran Turismo iteration (started off on Gran Turismo 1) and loved NFS Shift 1 & 2 (Shift 2 is still the best driving game for pure feeling of speed). I also know the tracks really well - in the real world I ride motorbikes and have been round Donington enough times to know what line to take. In Project Cars I can't even do a single lap comfortably without the car jerking left and right.

I've just had a go on Shift 2 on the 360 with the Speed Wheel and did some really great laps. Motion controls give a level of detail that's completely missing with the thumbsticks. And given the number of people on these boards who are specifically having trouble with steering on the DS4, it looks like ignoring motion controls is the worst decision SMS have made yet. Just allowing people to use the motion controls would probably fix 90% of these issues.

And yes, seeing retailers selling the compact wheel with Project Cars is a bit odd - I have the same wheel surround for the DS4 and it's really annoying that I can't use it. Please, SMS, add in motion controls so that I can actually play this game and enjoy it!

Bodster
11-05-2015, 09:44
After reading the xbox and ps4 forums i get the impression that controlling this game with a gamepad was an after thought!! For a console that comes with a controller that 100% of users own i would of though that more effort would of been put into how the games actually plays when using one! The ds4 and ps4 supports motion controls natively so why not use it?

Umer Ahmad
11-05-2015, 12:06
Honestly, i've been a member of WMD since Oct 2011 and i dont remember any participant seriously suggesting this for the entire 3.5 years.

Just to be clear: motion control = gyroscope = marioKart Wii style where you hold the controller in the air like a pretend/invisible wheel, correct?

If enough people want it then SMS could introduce support for this later. However, i'm not sure for a sim like this people would appreciate that kind of controller. We've already seen so far it takes some time and effort to have good controller....control.

Fingermouse
11-05-2015, 12:31
Honestly, i've been a member of WMD since Oct 2011 and i dont remember any participant seriously suggesting this for the entire 3.5 years.

I'm guessing that this is because the majority of the early development was focused on the PC version - there's a very different use case between a PC (generally on a desk to which you can attach a massive variety of wheels or input devices) compared with a console (generally attached to a TV, played using the supplied controller or a very limited choice of input devices).

The game has clearly been designed for PC input devices; controller support has been added out of necessity but it's clearly not been a main focus.

And yes, motion control = tilting the controller. For a lot of games, it's utterly pointless but in a driving game/simulation it's the best control method if a fixed wheel isn't available. An impression that motion control = marioKart might be a big reason why it's been left out, certainly from a PC developer's point of view.

Tilting a motion control enabled controller by a degree or two for fine steering on a high speed section is far more accurate than pushing a thumbstick - no matter how much you turn the sensitivity down, the smallest increment that you can make with a thumbstick still represents a significant deflection of the steering wheel. Watch a replay recorded by somebody using a controller and you can see the steering wheel jerking all over the place like the driver is having a fit.

Microsoft produced a wireless motion sensing 'wheel' (more of a U-shape really) specifically for racing games and on my 360 I was able to use it to get some great lap times. Holding it in the air wasn't a major problem and it made a good compromise between the convenience of a controller and the accuracy of a fixed wheel. The DualShock 4 at least is certainly capable of replicating this behaviour, and you can even add a clip-in surround to the controller to make it more wheel shaped. Other PS4 racing titles have motion controls enabled, so it's not something technically impossible to do. Let's hope it can be added in a patch at some point.

Bodster
11-05-2015, 12:54
I would think anyone that has played drive club using using the ds4 motion controls would be able to appreciate how well it actually works. A great example of how well it can be done.

I dont agree with the above statement of 'sim like people' After all this is a gaming console that would be found most often in living rooms. Why produce a game that only appeals to these 'sim like people'?

Surely its in the developers interest to create a game that can be played by a massive audience, this is why its possible to adjust skill levels and driver assists etc to try to cater for all skill levels and not just 'sim like people'!!

If you want to play with a wheel, use a wheel, if you want to use a pad then use a pad, and while we are at it if you want motion controls, hey use that too!!

GreyXK
11-05-2015, 13:28

Just to be clear: motion control = gyroscope = marioKart Wii style where you hold the controller in the air like a pretend/invisible wheel, correct?

If enough people want it then SMS could introduce support for this later. However, i'm not sure for a sim like this people would appreciate that kind of controller. We've already seen so far it takes some time and effort to have good controller....control.

Yes "you hold the controller in the air like a pretend/invisible wheel". Exactly the same as you hold the controller if using the thumb joystick on the controller.

This morning I visited my friend who has Drive Club on his PS4 and I tried the dualshock controller using motion control.
Within a couple of laps I found it much (very much) easier to steer the car this way than using the thumb joystick.

I reiterate, I'm not trying to be cheep, I'd happily buy a steering wheel, but I am disabled and physically unable to use my feet on pedals. However no PS4 compatible wheel is suitable, ie having analogue paddles or triggers.

Having tried a driving game that has implemented motion control, I know it's not perfect, but it's better than the joystick. So again, please, developers take a look at motion control.

Bodster
11-05-2015, 13:34
I wouldnt consider myslelf as disabled but was born with a birth defect with the thumb on my left hand, i am ok with a controller with thumbsticks but i do find driving games which require more precise input to be the most difficult and often make my thumb ache.

Riondil
11-05-2015, 13:52
Thank you for this post - I wanted to verify that Project Cars supports "tilt to move" ( like Driveclub does ).

After finding out it does not, then this game is just not for me ( I would have the money for buying a wheel with chair, but my priorities as family father are just slightly different ).

I can sense that people with a wheel have lots of fun though :-) ... and that is just fine.

MangledJellyfish
12-05-2015, 21:16
The upsetting part for me is they tweeted that it would be supported and I believe it was stated in a video or other post somewhere. This really would help me play the game. Using the stick is making me want to put the game away already.

johnbow
13-05-2015, 06:40
When I heard that PS4 supports gyroscope , I thought it was designed for RAC games , and truly disappointed when I found that Project Cars doesn't support it .
It is good if I have a steering wheel , but I don't have the space in my home ,or the budget . Even if I have to pretend I have a wheel with the controller , it is sill more sims than using the stick on the controller .

stelladel
13-05-2015, 06:46
I'm in two minds whether to return Project Cars and get my £50 back, the retailer sold it with the PS4 Compact Racing Wheel, So far I have seen that option on five different online retail sites to purchase Project Cars with the PS4 Compact Racing Wheel.I use the motion sensor control on "Drive Club" and it's very good, if they can patch this quickly then I'll keep it, especially as I waited so long for it.

Having seen the "growing list" of technical issues I think SMS should come out with some statement saying what they will prioritize, and how quickly the first patch will be released.

embe71
13-05-2015, 07:36
Using the motion controller is much less precise than using the sticks of the DS4 (like someone wrote this is "Mario Kart") and therefore quite a silly idea. Even in Driveclub which is more an arcade game than a sim it doesn't work very well compared to sticks if one invests a little time learning how to drive.
Deal with it and learn how to drive with the sticks or just buy a wheelstand when playing in the living room.

stelladel
13-05-2015, 08:14
Using the motion controller is much less precise than using the sticks of the DS4 (like someone wrote this is "Mario Kart") and therefore quite a silly idea. Even in Driveclub which is more an arcade game than a sim it doesn't work very well compared to sticks if one invests a little time learning how to drive.
Deal with it and learn how to drive with the sticks or just buy a wheelstand when playing in the living room.

That may be your opinion, which you are perfectly entitled too, but I don't want to "Deal With It" and nor do others that have posted on this thread, and why should I go to the expense of purchasing a "Wheelstand" because SMS have not enabled a function that other software houses seem perfectly capable of doing.

embe71
13-05-2015, 08:51
Because it's a multiplatform-sim and was marketed as such and not a console-exclusive "arcade racing game"? I'm quite sure therefore motion control support for one single platform (DS4) would be on one of the last places in a priority list if it makes it there at all.

Bodster
13-05-2015, 08:52

I dont agree with that statement and think its unfair to compare to mario kart, mario kart was not implemented well and was easier to play using a pad! The wii and even kinect gave motion controls to some extent a bad name because it wasnt done well. Dont tar it all with the same brush.

I am quicker using the motion controls with the ds4 on drive club as i was using the microsoft speedwheel on most of the racing games on the xbox 360. If implemented correctly (this being the important bit) think its much easier using motion controls to steer than a thumbstick. (especially as i have a dodgy left thumb)

I am 43 years old and played enough racing games over the years, using joystick, joypads, wheels etc etc surely in 2015 we can now have a choice especially when the ps4 supports motion controls out of the box. Was one of the blurbs about this game something along the lines of playing it how you want to play?

I have spent some time and configured the controls to a configuration that i like and am enjoying the game but i would still like a choice and a choice that doesnt mean i have to spend £xx on a wheel.

Fingermouse
13-05-2015, 08:53
Using the motion controller is much less precise than using the sticks of the DS4 (like someone wrote this is "Mario Kart") and therefore quite a silly idea.

Really? Thumbsticks are more precise than motion controls? Where on earth did you pull that amazing fact from?

Oh wait, I guess you're right. Rotating a controller through 2 degrees using two hands is far harder to do accurately than pushing a 1cm high stick through the roughly 0.1mm of travel which would be equivalent. Of course, how 'silly' of me.

I guess we should all be driving cars using tiny joysticks then. I don't know why those dumb car designers ever thought that a rotating movement was the best way to control steering.

embe71
13-05-2015, 08:58
I'm sure that's why all racing-sims implement motion control with Dualshock on the PS3 and PS4 and we should never buy wheels since there is already such a great control method...;)

Bodster
13-05-2015, 09:03
I'm sure that's why all racing-sims implement motion control with Dualshock on the PS3 and PS4 and we should never buy wheels since there is already such a great control method...;)

I agree that a wheel is the best control method, i dont think anyone in the thread would argue that fact but thats not what this is about, its not about any method being better than another. I would go and buy a wheel today if i could warrant the purchase, had somewhere to clip the wheel too and wanted to waste the £. No, i just want to sit on my sofa this evening when the mrs and kids have gone to bed and play a game using a control method of my choice and importantly a method which the ps4 does actually support out of the box!

Fingermouse
13-05-2015, 09:17

Have you even read this thread or do you just enjoy trolling? We all agree that fixed wheels are best, just not practical for every situation. Try reading some of the posts above.

PowderGuy
15-05-2015, 08:40
This isn't forza/gt/drive club/NFS... it's a sim made to be played with a wheel.

In ASIA , they would say "Are you kidding me? THERE WERE 100% OWNER HAVE A GAME PAD AND YOU SAID THIS GAME DESIGN ONLY FOR WHEELm NO MORE OPTIMIZE FOR GAME PAD? AND THIS NEVER BUNDLE THE WHEEL TO SELLS? "

Anyway... in Asia, get a Wheel is harder than they paid Whatapps fee , even they could have iPhone or Change Tablet or smartphone just every three months.

Looks Ridiculous and this happened,And based on game pad handling difficulty issue...

They said SMS IS SUCKS!

Once again, there is TRUE STORY. Need some link to read it?
Anyway, I tried harder to telling them this is wheel game not for Game pad and I get Blamed.

jdmnsprd
15-05-2015, 09:34
this feature needs to be implemented asap how does a shitty game like drive club have motion control but Project CARS who prides itself on being the most uber authentic simulator of all time doesn't? this game has become such a disappointment

cwinnbari
15-05-2015, 11:03
this feature needs to be implemented asap how does a shitty game like drive club have motion control but Project CARS who prides itself on being the most uber authentic simulator of all time doesn't? this game has become such a disappointment

There maybe a work around. I can't test it until tonight, but I know Sony recently updated their accessibility options. One of the things they highlighted was being able to set up custom controller profiles for people with disabilities. I'm thinking maybe that section there could be someway to create a profile that maps the gyroscope to sub for the left thumbstick. I would look in the PS4 settings menu either under controller options of accessibility... hope that works!!!!!

ps- If it isn't thats something we should bring up to sony since I can see that being a common issue for people with other games.

Fingermouse
15-05-2015, 13:04
There maybe a work around. I can't test it until tonight, but I know Sony recently updated their accessibility options. One of the things they highlighted was being able to set up custom controller profiles for people with disabilities. I'm thinking maybe that section there could be someway to create a profile that maps the gyroscope to sub for the left thumbstick. I would look in the PS4 settings menu either under controller options of accessibility... hope that works!

It's a nice idea but unfortunately it looks like the Accessibility options don't support motion controls. No idea why not (you would have thought these were pretty useful in many contexts) but there's no way that you can map motion controls to anything - all you can do is swap button assignments.

Pink_650S
15-05-2015, 13:29
I'm really wondering... If the Controller is an ineffective way to play this game, how can Controller-Users be on top of the leaderboards? I cant wrap my head around it, seriously. Its clearly possible to play this game with the DS4.

GBRC.C7
15-05-2015, 15:51
I think that DS4 users are top of the leader boards because there are a lot more of them than wheel users and at present all PS4 wheels have major issues (ranging from centering and feedback feel to massive deadzone and the FFB problems) so the wheel guys are probably not playing and certainly won't be setting leader board times that are anywhere near their potential, that's if they are setting times at all.
Combine that with the reports that times aren't necessarily being logged and the picture is even more complete.

jpbonadio
15-05-2015, 21:19
I can't believe SMS shipped the game without motion control implemented. Even on GTA 5 you can use it.

Add the fact that pCars is almost impossible to play with the analogs. Since release I have been trying all kinds of adjustments, but no one gives a good experience. Why not use the damn motion sensor?

Even on Driveclub, that is totally playable with the analogs, playing with the motion sensor is ten times better.

I really hope SMS will implement this in the next patch, otherwise I think I will return this game until I can afford a T300RS (it costs a fortune in my country).

4L0M
15-05-2015, 23:42
The whole package is being sold incorrectly......... By Very.co.uk

Not sms.

jpbonadio
18-05-2015, 13:53
The whole package is being sold incorrectly......... By Very.co.uk

Not sms.

But this is not only about the Very.co.uk package. This is about SMS not implementing something that would make racing on the DS4 so much better.

The sensor is there in all the DS4s ... why not use it?

They are using the rumble triggers on the X1, why not use the motion sensor on PS4?

Disapointing.

Pablo2008jedi
18-05-2015, 14:01
Even on Driveclub, that is totally playable with the analogs, playing with the motion sensor is ten times better.

That's because DriveClub is an ARCADE racer not a SIMULATOR.

Controls on PCARS needs refinement and control. You can't simply steer in one fast motion to the complete fullness of the joystick movement. You need to feather the controls. I use a 360 controller on a PC (Personal Computer) for other racing sims and the DS4 on pCARS works very similar to them.

The game is very playable with a DS4....

jpbonadio
18-05-2015, 15:02
That's because DriveClub is an ARCADE racer not a SIMULATOR.

Controls on PCARS needs refinement and control. You can't simply steer in one fast motion to the complete fullness of the joystick movement. You need to feather the controls. I use a 360 controller on a PC (Personal Computer) for other racing sims and the DS4 on pCARS works very similar to them.

The game is very playable with a DS4....

I disagree with you on this. The motion sensor is much more accurate for steering than using the analog sticks. With the motion sensor you can easily keep the position of the wheel during a turn, while with the analog is very very hard.

And beeing a Simulator do not change this, even because last gen I bought the Xbox 360 Wireless Speed Wheel, that uses motion sensor just like the DS4, and it was perfect for playing Forza 3 and 4.

Fingermouse
18-05-2015, 19:54
Controls on PCARS needs refinement and control. You can't simply steer in one fast motion to the complete fullness of the joystick movement. You need to feather the controls.

Exactly. You've just made the perfect argument for using motion controls rather than the thumbsticks. Using motion controls gives you a lot more refinement and control than a joystick, and if anything is going to allow you to "steer in one fast motion to the complete fullness off the joystick movement" it's a thumbstick. I can flick my thumb from full right to full left in a fraction of a second (not exactly what you'd call realistic driving technique) - try rotating a controller all the way from 180 degrees right to 180 degrees left that quickly without ripping your arms off. Having to use software settings to dampen out unrealistic inputs completely detaches you from the driving experience.

It's also incredibly difficult to 'feather' the controls with a tiny joystick, compared to smooth steering with the motion controls. To go from dead centre steering to 1/8 right (for example), it's easy and controllable with motion controls, and you can hold it there. If you can do that smoothly and realistically with a thumbstick then you're clearly better at using a controller than me (quite likely) and anybody else commenting in this thread (quite possible). Just because you can do it, though, don't assume everybody else finds it easy.

I'm pleased that you're happy with the available controls - I'm just not sure why you're posting in this thread. It's like saying to people queuing for food, "Why on earth would you want to eat? I'm already full."

AlienMudPig
19-05-2015, 22:53
The only way to get this fixed in an update is to make as much fuss as possible so that SMS include motion control just to shut us up.

I've posted in this thread http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?22495-Known-Issues-Collective-Thread-(PS4)-Not-for-bug-reporting!-Updated-18-05 but I've been ignored so far and don't have our gripe included in the list of known issues so maybe if we all post there we'll at least get on the radar!

JessicaWalter
19-05-2015, 23:07
if they add this as an option that'd be fine, but ill never use it. precise control isn't needed in a game like forza so motion control can work with those games. i think if this was available a lot less people would use it than "say" they'd use it atm.

JessicaWalter
19-05-2015, 23:15
...It's like saying to people queuing for food, "Why on earth would you want to eat? I'm already full."

it's closer to being at a barbecue and asking the host if you can use sticks in the yard to eat potato salad. the utensil provided by the host will do what is required a whole lot better than whatever gimmicky, hipster stick-fork you're upset you can't use.

just my opinion.

AlienMudPig
20-05-2015, 08:50
Hi Jessica, I'm glad that you're happy with the controls the way they are, good for you! Some of us just want to use the controller the way Sony intended for it to be used when they included the motion sensors and I don't think that's too much to ask.

How would you like it if SMS had only included the motion sensor option and you couldn't use the thumb stick the way you want?

Pink_650S
20-05-2015, 16:32
How would you like it if SMS had only included the motion sensor option and you couldn't use the thumb stick the way you want?

I know l'm not the one thats been asked, but l simply wouldnt have bought the game. When l know the game or its controls wont fit me and my playstyle l just wont pick it up.
Because in comparison to many others, l do my reasearch on games before l buy them. Seems like that type of gamer slowly extincts, because complaining afterwards is waaay easier, right?

madmax2069
20-05-2015, 16:37
Have any one of you tried driving with motion controls ? Its absolutely horrable.

tezcatlipoca
21-05-2015, 06:36
Only experience i have from driving with motion controller is from Driveclub. There it actually works pretty great (for me at least). Not shure if motion controll is less precise than thumbstick from som techncial perspective, but i find it easier to be precise with the larger (both hands) motion of the whole controller than the tiny thumbstick. As some have pointed out there is a reason you don't use a thumbstick in a car ;). Of course a wheel would be the prefered option but many console user's (including myself) are pretty casual gamers and might not have the space (or family permission) to have a playseat in the livingroom. I'm shure SMS would like as many people as possible playing ( and buying ) their game and implementing this would be a good way to include more ps4 players. If you prefer using the stick then thats just fine, but tough i manage to win ( some) races with the stick i really hate the feeling of driving with it.

That beeing said i really love the game. Finally a good racer on the PS4 :) At some point i'll probably end up with a wheel, playseat, morpheus, motions simulators and the works ..... ;)

AK-R
21-05-2015, 07:45
Hi,
I just received my order of Project Cars.

I must say that with all the hype I was dissapointed.

However the biggest problem I have is I want to play it and give it a chance but I cant handle using the sticks to steer on a ps4 controller.

It seems like we can't configure the built in motion for steering on the controller...
Am I doing something wrong? Is there a way to do this?

I am now so used to steering this way using the ps4 controller and work so nicely on Drive Club..

Plz advise as I am not interested in wasting several hundred dollars on a steering wheel and using the sticks to steer.

If this cant be done please advise as I will not waste my time and return this game and will wait for F1 2015 to come out...

I really hope there is a fix for this or that atleast you are working on it perhaps on an update or something?

Thanking you

Hope someone has the decency to reply to my email and advise correctly on my complaint..

Bruno Alexandre
21-05-2015, 09:31
We're analyzing the possibility of adding the motion as a steering option.

matmoore
21-05-2015, 11:23
Just bought project cars thinking it would be a good upgrade from Drive Club... Disappointing to say the least to find out there is no support for motion control. The motion sensor in the DS4 controller was surprisingly accurate and fast response, I had significantly smoother cornering control than with the joystick. It's good to hear you are considering it Bruno, here's hoping you roll out motion control soon.

stelladel
21-05-2015, 13:29
Thanks Bruno.

This thread degenerated from asking for "Motion Control" to those who through their own Chosen methods of control tried to either put down those who wanted this functionality or suggest their chosen method, which included the purchase of a wheel and even a rig to put the wheel on!!! WTF

THOSE WHO WANT MOTION CONTROL ADDED ARE NOT ASKING FOR OTHER FUNCTIONALITY TO BE REMOVED, JUST THE CHANCE TO USE THEIR PREFERRED METHOD.

If you think the controller works well for you well Jolly Dee, so what, I don't give a rats arse, all I want is the voices on this thread to get through to SMS that "Maybe" ADDING the "Motion Sensor" would be a good idea.

AlienMudPig
22-05-2015, 07:16
Thanks Bruno that is very good news and will make a lot of people very happy!

shpeki
23-05-2015, 22:24
For my birthday I received the PS4 with project cars limited edition from my girlfriend. But now I am stuck with playing driveclub because Project cars doesn't support the motion sensors of DS4. Currently we don't have enough space for a stand, a wheel and pedals. We play Forza 3 and 4 on Xbox 360 and on PC WRC4 and dirt 3 with a wireless Speed Wheel and it's been perfect for our situation. A couple days ago I bought 4GAMERS 4G-4280 Compact Racing Wheel. What was i thinking...
I am very very sad at the moment.
But after reading Bruno's post there is some hope.

dpettit
29-05-2015, 13:15
Glad to here SMS is looking at adding this option and responding to feedback

The game has clearly taking a punt at seeing how many sim-racers are out there in console land and has probably been presently surprised with the numbers. I've used Wheels on PC's in days gone by (including the early days on this title), I've used the speed wheel from Microsoft as well and I've got to say its a solid option that gets close.

I'm wondering if when tested it was tested with the addon surround they have available? A PS4 pad on its own might be a bit tricky, but with the surround i'd bargain it makes a big difference?

Lets hope we see it added in soon as I think it would be of more use then the devs initial analysis made out.

Ian Bell
29-05-2015, 13:48
I'm such a tease, Part 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTTUET5wb9g&feature=youtu.be

Tom Curtis
29-05-2015, 15:57

Daymn. I didn't enable advertising. I could maybe have retired off the profits. :)

Max Kelly
29-05-2015, 15:59
go Tom go!!!
;)

jpbonadio
29-05-2015, 17:48

Thanks Ian and Bruno for implementing this feature, it will turn PS4 Project Cars a much better game for those who don't have a proper wheel.

Just a tip: You can get better results holding the DS4 in the usual way. That's how I play Driveclub, and it is super precise.

One more thing: Tell the render team to not forget enabling the impostors reflections on the new PS4 patch. It was supposed to be in the day one patch, but it wasn't. Thanks.

jpbonadio
29-05-2015, 18:04
Have any one of you tried driving with motion controls ? Its absolutely horrable.

This is just your opinion. And I disagree with you.

I played dozens of racing games (both Simulators and Arcades) last gen on the X360 using the Microsoft Wireless Steering Wheel, which uses motion control just as the DS4.

This gen I have been playing Driveclub with motion controle for months, and I will never come back to the analog sticks.

Until I can afford a proper wheel (which costs a fortune in my country) the DS4 motion control is by far the best method to control a car in a racing game.

Ryzza5
30-05-2015, 08:11
Am I the only one thinking someone else was behind the camera driving with the connected gamepad in the normal fashion? This is Tom, after all? :p

AlienMudPig
31-05-2015, 22:29
Is there an ETA on when we might see this update?

stelladel
01-06-2015, 11:33
Is there an ETA on when we might see this update?

Here's my take,

Buy game, find no motion control, throw game in draw and wait, read through forum threads, wait, wait, wait, read more forum threads from people asking/complaining when update will happen, read moderators defending SMS, wait, wait, wait, read forum threads...etc, etc, etc.

Yawn, try to forget about the money I spent on this game, put the Driveclub disc back in the PS4.

johnbow
02-06-2015, 01:18
Here's my take,

Buy game, find no motion control, throw game in draw and wait, read through forum threads, wait, wait, wait, read more forum threads from people asking/complaining when update will happen, read moderators defending SMS, wait, wait, wait, read forum threads...etc, etc, etc.

Yawn, try to forget about the money I spent on this game, put the Driveclub disc back in the PS4.

Exactly what I am doing .

To be honest , Drive club sucks , but however good PC is , no motion control is worse .

PureMalt77
02-06-2015, 15:48
Is coming with the 1.4 patch: http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?29158-Project-CARS-All-Platforms-Upcoming-Patch-1-4-Release-notes

MysterG
02-06-2015, 15:59
1.4 patch notes

Controls – PS4
* Fixed an issue where the player got stuck on the career screen when entering driver name using a wheel controller.
* Improved the support implementation of several older Fanatec wheels, such as the GT2, GT3, and CSR.
* Fixed the Fanatec CSS so that it works correctly in sequential mode.
* Fixed the Fanatec CSP pedals to save the calibration correctly if player calibrated only pedals.
* Fixed the Fanatec CSP ABS rumble.
* Fixed the Fanatec CSW handbrake.
* Game Pad - Tilt Control support implemented to allow controller tilt to be used to control the vehicles.

Bodster
03-06-2015, 15:24
Its good to see that they have listened and its coming in the next patch. If its done as well as it is in driveclub then it will make this great game amazing for those of us wanting the motion controls with the ds4.

SergioCosmopolis
04-06-2015, 23:24

I think you may be dismissing this option too soon, or as trivial. The sensitivity of the gyroscope would provide for much more sensitive, accurate steering adjustments as well as being far more intuitive and lifelike than what you get trying to drive with the analog sticks. As someone who can't afford getting a wheel that would work with only one of my systems right now in my opinion motion controls would be the next best thing. I've put several hours into the game thus far and have yet to have a gaming session that ended in anything but utter frustration at the controls. I looked forward to PC for so long and raced out and got it day 1, but because of the controls have yet to log more than around 4-5 hours of play. Everything else about the game seems to be great, I just can't find a setup that lets me enjoy it. I don't want to give up on the game and trade it in, but man, I'm getting close.

-edit Just read the patch notes for patch 1.4. Fantastic. I have hope again that I'll be enjoying PC as much I've been looking forward to doing. Thank you!!!

Rowan Singfield
09-06-2015, 14:02
Is coming with the 1.4 patch: http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?29158-Project-CARS-All-Platforms-Upcoming-Patch-1-4-Release-notes

Oh, very good. I wonder if it'll count as wheel or controller (with those symbols in the rankings/leaderboards/whatever you call them)... I'm using a wheel myself, but I think I'll have a go with the tilt controls once the patch is out, to see how they compare.

stelladel
12-06-2015, 19:15
Okay, I'll just accept the fact that I am either stupid or drunk (or both), but can someone point me to the motion control in the 1.4 patch, because I can't see it and it all looks the same to me as before!!!

Fingermouse
12-06-2015, 20:02
Yeah, not obvious... I did it by just going to the control assignments, selecting 'steer left' and tilting the controller. Same for right... Seems to work really well - finally this game is playable with a controller! Just make sure to set the steering dead zone to zero, otherwise it behaves a bit oddly.

Bodster
12-06-2015, 20:17
I agree its not completely obvious how to set the motion controls but makes sense. It des work great tho. Really happy now. I also agree about 0 deadzone on steering.

niwrA
21-06-2015, 14:10
This is great news. I'm really looking forward to more impressions - may double dip on the game now (already have the PC version, that still works with my old wheel).

EDIT: found someone on Youtube using them, looks great: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heZXEjN-OC4

Fingermouse
22-06-2015, 08:42
I've been using the motion controls since the patch and it is a massive improvement - the game is actually playable now and I've been getting some much better lap times. I've been able to dial the difficulty up quite a bit (removing assists and increasing competitor skill) to make the whole thing a lot more challenging, without feeling that I'm crippled by the controller.

I'm still tweaking the settings a little to find the perfect point - you definitely need the dead zone set to zero but beyond that it's a matter of preference. Speed sensitivity needs to be not too high otherwise you feel completely disconnected from the car when you get up to high speed but it's really easy to correct slides, and long turns are no longer a problem as you can hold the 'wheel' at the right angle for sustained periods. I'm using the 4Gamers wheel surround for the controller and although it's not large, it helps with the experience as it puts your hands in the right position on the controller.

In general, the motion controls are great and I'm spending a lot more time with the game. There are still a couple of cars that I have trouble with, but that might just be me - in particular I find the Atom to be absolutely awful no matter how I set it up (probably a combination of too much power with not enough tyre grip on corners, or downforce on straights) but at least I can race the karts now... Superkarts were impossibly jumpy before using stick control - with motion controls I can put in some pretty decent laps.

Thank you to SMS for listening and getting this feature enabled! And various rude gestures to all those people who posted ignorant things in this thread telling us that we were all dumb for wanting motion controls at all. Hopefully everybody can now get on with enjoying this game using whatever control scheme they find more comfortable.

Toppers17
22-06-2015, 09:33
I've been using the motion controls since the patch and it is a massive improvement - the game is actually playable now and I've been getting some much better lap times. I've been able to dial the difficulty up quite a bit (removing assists and increasing competitor skill) to make the whole thing a lot more challenging, without feeling that I'm crippled by the controller.

I'm still tweaking the settings a little to find the perfect point - you definitely need the dead zone set to zero but beyond that it's a matter of preference. Speed sensitivity needs to be not too high otherwise you feel completely disconnected from the car when you get up to high speed but it's really easy to correct slides, and long turns are no longer a problem as you can hold the 'wheel' at the right angle for sustained periods. I'm using the 4Gamers wheel surround for the controller and although it's not large, it helps with the experience as it puts your hands in the right position on the controller.

In general, the motion controls are great and I'm spending a lot more time with the game. There are still a couple of cars that I have trouble with, but that might just be me - in particular I find the Atom to be absolutely awful no matter how I set it up (probably a combination of too much power with not enough tyre grip on corners, or downforce on straights) but at least I can race the karts now... Superkarts were impossibly jumpy before using stick control - with motion controls I can put in some pretty decent laps.

Thank you to SMS for listening and getting this feature enabled! And various rude gestures to all those people who posted ignorant things in this thread telling us that we were all dumb for wanting motion controls at all. Hopefully everybody can now get on with enjoying this game using whatever control scheme they find more comfortable.

May I ask what your controller settings are? Mode, Steering Sensitivity, Speed Sensitivity, CFS, etc...

Fingermouse
22-06-2015, 09:44
Currently using Mode 3, steering sensitivity 60, speed sensitivity 65, cfs 0, opp. lock help off, soft steering damping on... Seems to work for most things, although it can be a bit twitchy on cold tyres. Steering sensitivity around 50 gives a bit more control sometimes but it means bigger movements which can get tiring - I tend to put in better lap times with the above settings than anything else. I'll probably keep tweaking, though...

Toppers17
22-06-2015, 09:53
Currently using Mode 3, steering sensitivity 60, speed sensitivity 65, cfs 0, opp. lock help off, soft steering damping on... Seems to work for most things, although it can be a bit twitchy on cold tyres. Steering sensitivity around 50 gives a bit more control sometimes but it means bigger movements which can get tiring - I tend to put in better lap times with the above settings than anything else. I'll probably keep tweaking, though...

Cheers! I'll definitely give these a go. Been running with very similar settings, Sensitivity is down at 35 though. Interesting that you run with Soft Steering Damping on... Will have to see if this doesn't add any unwanted input lag...

Fingermouse
22-06-2015, 10:35
To be honest, the Soft Steering Dampening doesn't seem to have much of a noticeable effect with the settings I'm using. I just tried turning it off and noticed no real difference with the same car and track as I was using with it on. It might affect things more when making larger steering inputs but it doesn't seem obvious (tested using a Formula C at Hockenheim - small steering inputs can make a bit difference here).

Anyway, it might be better discussing controller setups in another thread... I've posted my experience with the controller in this thread to encourage anybody who held off from the game because of a lack of motion control support, but I realise that this thread has a bit of a negative (and now misleading) title. Probably best to let it drop now and use threads with more helpful titles - yes, it's ironic that by saying this here I'm bumping this thread to the top but I've edited my original post and hopefully this thread can retire happy that it did its job!

MULTIVITZ
22-06-2015, 10:49
No motion control. Why? I haven't got room for a wheel. You wanna know why I think there's no motion sensor? Don't believe the hype.
I'll tell you what I think the reason is. Using motion control is more effective than the wheel, it would go to the top of the leaderboard and stay there. Oh no we can't have that!? It was in the patch? Then they gave up on it? They can't be that put off at developing can they?
There's no caster feedback from the car, has anyone noticed the self centring is lightning fast and bares no resemblance to the car or it's settings. Just read about the beta testers problems with thumb stick testing, it's like the blind leading the blind at times. Not that I'm ungreatful or anything.

Thumbstick steering. Mmmmmmmm NOT realistic imo. I wonder how the FFB wheel feels, does the caster have a realistic effect? The developers description of caster is it makes you turn in quicker and adds stability on the straight.................... lol NO the weight of the car pushes through the caster to give self centring, it is the prime setting that drives camber thrust to give optimum grip and steering weight feel. Now you know, you can thank me later.
What am I? The only one on this car racing simulator forum who knows how a fricking car works. Or is the super realistic physics engine not capable of producing a caster feedback value???
Somethings you're better off not knowing, like a need to know basis? RUBBISH.
The truth only hurts the meek, I don't see any here? Let's get some real progress with this game, otherwise it's going to look like a splash and dash. It's already spilling everywhere and looking a right mess! Isn't it?!

No telemetry app. Beacuse the network doesn't want the risky traffic? Anything else you'd like to tell us?

Anything construtive, helpful, informative, truthful.
Then we might be able to help with some creative maths to get us out of this situation. Little Baby indeed:rolleyes:

Deadzone
22-06-2015, 11:02
^ Multi, you do know they added motion control in the last PS4 patch.

Your spot on about the caster issue. The self centring almost feels like it's reversed. Fast centring at a standstill and less at speed.