PDA

View Full Version : Best wheel to use

xrix4096
08-05-2015, 11:32
Hi All,

It sounds like there's no hope that my old Logitech wheel is going to be supported so it looks like I'm going to have to buy a new wheel soon. Gamepad doesn't cut it for me :-)

I know this will be a bit subjective but what wheel do people think is the best for Project CARS on PS4? Right now I'm looking at the T500RS, I gather there's a couple of known issues but it sounds like they're getting sorted. I've tried looking at Fanatec stuff but their website drives me nuts and I can't find anything.

Cheers

-- Chris

petervandamned
08-05-2015, 11:40
Fanatec CRW F1 in my opion is much better then a T500RS Not sure for PS4

Good Times
08-05-2015, 12:22
Yeah can't play it with a gamepad! I went with a cheap Thrustmaster T80 as a get-by until I get a Fanatec. I was expecting the T80 to be fairly poo, but it's actually half decent. It feels cheap, but you make do. Modulation with the pedals is good, and I'm enjoying the paddle shifters. My main gripe is that it's really sensitive around the centre, so sometimes it can be hard just holding a straight line.

Vylen
08-05-2015, 13:23
Hey Chris,

I have the same problem, I own a Logitech DFGT and a Logitech G27. I waited until release in the hope the would finally support it.

I heard the Thrustmaster T300RS was good, but imo it really looks plastic, so I went for the Fanatec Porsche 911 GT3v2, which is only the wheel but has an adaptor for the G27 pedals. The cheaper and better solution for me, because I heard the wheels are quite good, Fanatec support sucks tho.

mhoch22
08-05-2015, 18:24
In the same boat as all of you. I have a DFGT and still wish to play gt6 online with my friends. I'm torn between the T300rs and T500rs with the th8a shifter for both (and t3pa pedals for t300rs). I like the t300rs ps3/4 switch and the FFB brushless sounds cool. (but does it really make a difference?) I do not care about menu support as I always have a controller nearby. Price wise they are the same. Can anyone push me in one direction or the other? 300 or 500?

Ddav3y1
08-05-2015, 19:15
Hi just to let you know, a friend of mine has a g27 set up, he has found something called a m4 converter which plugs into ps4 and then the wheel into it, worth checking out before shelling out on a new set up

Padmod
09-05-2015, 01:05
I'd recommend the T300RS. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's the first force feedback wheel built with PS4 compatibility in mind, so you can be guaranteed it will work. I have one that I use with my G27 pedals. It's got a very solid construction, the wheel rim is metal with rubber grip. The base is solid, so you don't need to worry about it shifting around while you wrestle your car around the track. Two big advantages over the T500 are that the paddle shifters rotate with the wheel, and it contains a brushless motor, so the movement feels very smooth.

I'd say that if you can replace the included pedals the wheel is actually superior to the G27 (what I had before). Of course, there is no included H shifter, and it's a bit more expensive, but given the issues with Fanatec wheels at the moment it's definitely the way to go in my opinion.

A quick edit:

Hi just to let you know, a friend of mine has a g27 set up, he has found something called a m4 converter which plugs into ps4 and then the wheel into it, worth checking out before shelling out on a new set up

Do not waste your money on one of these converters. Basically how they work is they trick your PS4 into seeing your wheel inputs as gamepad inputs. As a result you lose the fine control offered by the wheel and the accuracy of the force feedback. Instead of being able to feel the car shift its weight and lose grip all you will get is a uniform, analogue rumble comparable to the standard rumble you get through the dual shock 4. I know it's tempting to get one of these to avoid buying a whole new wheel, but trust me, the first time you try it out you will regret it immediately.

dvc
09-05-2015, 01:34
T300 from thrustmaster . may not look as good as G27 But feels much better and stronger.

ivan-hoe78
09-05-2015, 07:26
In the same boat as all of you. I have a DFGT and still wish to play gt6 online with my friends. I'm torn between the T300rs and T500rs with the th8a shifter for both (and t3pa pedals for t300rs). I like the t300rs ps3/4 switch and the FFB brushless sounds cool. (but does it really make a difference?) I do not care about menu support as I always have a controller nearby. Price wise they are the same. Can anyone push me in one direction or the other? 300 or 500?

I have a T300 Ferrari GTE wheel, with T3PA pedals and 2 TH8A shifters, one for H mode and one for sequential. The conical brake mode on the T3PA pedals are really good. It's really fantastic!
I see people at GT Planet forum and on others sites, have purchased a T500 over the T300. I don't agree with this, because the price are similar and the T300 for me has a lot of advantages.

Full compatibilty with PS4
Brushless motor
Force feedback really quiet and improved feel
Paddle shifters turns with the wheel (I prefer this instead the ones on the T500. But you can have this on T500 too, buying other wheel rim with paddles on it)

and the most important for me:

The possibilty to connect 2 shifters at the same time, one for H mode and one for sequential. The T300 has a connection in the base to plug a TH8A shifter in sequential mode. The other shifter (H mode), is connected to the PS4. (T500 don't have a connection for shifter in the base. Only one shifter connected to the PS4). By this way I can enjoying the two modes at the same time, depending on the car I'm using in the game.

I know that is a lot of money buying 2 shifters. But if you canīt afford at the moment, maybe in near future. I recommend this, Iīm enjoying like a fool!

I upload a video on YOUTUBE where you can see my setup with the 2 TH8A shifters: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpRKbW1dLkg The video is a "making of" of my cockpit, skip it for see the images with the 2 shifters.

NOTE: I don't have a T500, but I read it hasn't the connection for shifter in the base. I come from a Logitech G27, and for me the T300 is an improvement. I'm spanish, hope my english was understandable.

Regards.

Skrillex
09-05-2015, 08:43
I had a driving force gt for ps3 with the ps4 I had a choice either I don't race on the 4 or I suck it up and get a new wheel. Well I ended up getting a new one. I refused to spend the same amount of money on a new wheel as I did for the system itself so I went with the T100 that is substantially cheaper than the T300 and T500. No its not as good as those nor does it have the turning radius but the way I look at it. I am racing on a ps4. If I have to give up some degree of rotation to enjoy racing with a wheel that won't break the bank than so be it.

IXBEEFXI
09-05-2015, 09:46
I don't have a huge amount of expendable income at the moment due to shelling out for a wedding but I do want to get a wheel rather than using the gamepad. Searching the web I can only really find 2 choices -> Thrustmaster t300 or Thrustmaster t80.

The t300 is miles out of my price range but I am considering the t80. Is this wheel any good or is it just a cheapy wheel that won't do much better than the gamepad.

Eric Bergeret
09-05-2015, 09:50
t300 is the better choice, take your time unless you want regret it.
time for old wheel is gone.

yab
09-05-2015, 10:30
The T80 has no Forcefeedback!
I would go for T100 if T300 is to expensive.

IXBEEFXI
09-05-2015, 12:12
The T80 has no Forcefeedback!
I would go for T100 if T300 is to expensive.

Didn't realise that is the t100 ps4 compatible?

yab
09-05-2015, 12:48
Didn't realise that is the t100 ps4 compatible?
It is, like T500 ingame only.

xrix4096
14-05-2015, 11:11
Thanks for all the replies. I'm now thinking the T300RS is the thing, maybe with the new T3PA-PRO pedals. If I get this one, does anyone know if the switches and controls on the Ferrari F1 wheel rim can be assigned to stuff in PCars?

-- Chris

kiteboy27
14-05-2015, 11:16
T300rs will not disappoint...

GoTaLL
14-05-2015, 13:34
I have a t300 and it works great..

i also have PC in PC (with G27) and t300 is much better. I had two fanatec wheels but they broke under a year so never again

jason
26-05-2015, 02:39
I love my t500 :)

Diablo944
26-05-2015, 07:34
I also hovered on the t80 or t300 fence. Playing with a joypad was a bit pants. So i initially bought the t80. Massive improvement over the joypad. Smooth steering became an easily attainable option, albeit with a limited steering rotation. But good enough for general gameplay. All i would say though is that the quality is nothing like as good as the t300. They are totally different animals. The t300 wheel alone feels like it weighs more than the whole t80 unit. If you can stretch to it, hold out for the t300 and skip the t80. I outgrew the t80 in less than a week with the lure of force feedback and a proper wheel rotation range drawing me into t300 ownership. Once i had a couple of cars set up right with the t300 wheel i was ultra happy.

Quick version:- t80 wheel-cheap, works. T300 wheel-not cheap, works better.

Diablo944
26-05-2015, 07:34
I also hovered on the t80 or t300 fence. Playing with a joypad was a bit pants. So i initially bought the t80. Massive improvement over the joypad. Smooth steering became an easily attainable option, albeit with a limited steering rotation. But good enough for general gameplay. All i would say though is that the quality is nothing like as good as the t300. They are totally different animals. The t300 wheel alone feels like it weighs more than the whole t80 unit. If you can stretch to it, hold out for the t300 and skip the t80. I outgrew the t80 in less than a week with the lure of force feedback and a proper wheel rotation range drawing me into t300 ownership. Once i had a couple of cars set up right with the t300 wheel i was ultra happy.

Quick version:- t80 wheel-cheap, works. T300 wheel-not cheap, works better.

JamieF86
26-05-2015, 10:36
T300 is buy far the best option for the ps4 will buy shifters eventually but do want the Ferrari wheel add on a lot more. Wouldn't go near a T80 or T100 cheap and just not good at all. save your money and a get a T300

Goresh
26-05-2015, 10:50
http://www.fanatec.com/us-en/racing-wheels/forza-motorsport-csr-wheel-us.html

http://www.fanatec.com/us-en/pedals/csr-elite-pedals-us.html

This is what I am currently using, only complaint is the lack of a working clutch. As you can see this set up is not exactly expensive.

chig88
26-05-2015, 14:50
I'm using the T300 with the Ferrari F1 addon and G27 pedals. Wasn't happy about having to replace my G27 but now I'm happy I was forced into it - the T300 is a definite upgrade (aside from the pedals, which aren't up to scratch).