PDA

View Full Version : Everything's super but... No purpose of playing it?

RwVision
08-05-2015, 13:17
Hi there

This is something I can't understand and I would like to ask you people for your opinions:

Why developers didn't create a real-fun career where money/credits comes in consideration for buying cars? Like, where's the point of playing the whole game?

Everything seems to be just for fun, I have no drive in this game to go harder or so. The whole point of racing games couple years ago was almost always to gather your own "legacy", choose your favorite vehicles, spend hours on available events just to purchase it and then tune it. Don't want to spam, but the perfect example was playing gt3, where I had my black corvetta, which I used to the end of the game. Not every car was buy-able, you had to win specific events or special time tracks to earn some exotic cars.

Everything pushed you to earn some prize and gave you the drive to complete all this events on 1st positions, you could not wait sometimes to earn enough credits to buy an upgrade and play with it.

Project cars is an amazing game, everything here is superb - amount of options and technical solutions are something I have waited for so long, but when I've played it, I come to this game like it was just an another racing game.

I assume that, many people like just online competition, but for those who like single - Do you really like this type of solution? Where you just race specific events in specific cars, all of this fake community, funny emails, that pretend to create some real life racer? Along time it just comes to pressing faster next event, just to play another race...

With all of those cars and potential, why not create some special events to win CARS? For me, the whole game is just for fun and it ruins the whole point of enjoying it. Planing your cars, events and lurking for special prizes would be soooo great!

Well, it's just my opinion, I would like to know, why people like simple, non-thinking career, rather than an enjoyable, planned fun?

Oh, and - I really don't mind the fast start with some cars selected for other players.

Cheers!

Siberian Tiger
08-05-2015, 13:20
Well, the WMD Community made this decision together with SMS...

Many Players won't Play for Hours and Days to Access some faster cars... And a collecting Game like GranTurismo was not the Idea...

For Prizes and Motivation you can try our Community Events. (Player Network)

Blackvault
08-05-2015, 13:21
I'd say the purpose of playing is to get the enjoyment out of actually racing. Personally, and its only my opinion, I find grinding my way to races/events to get to certain cars/events isn't fun at all.

Obviously this is all just IMO.

Pete

danowat
08-05-2015, 13:22
You need more purpose and motivation in a racing sim than racing a car round a track?, blimey!!! :O

Joeri Blootacker
08-05-2015, 13:23
Hello RwVision

Within Project Cars, we have the career, where you can push yourself to try to crown yourself to become the LMP1 champion, or Formula one champion. it might prove to be harder than you think :)

different to other games, it was a community decision not to limit people in the beginning to lower tier cars. many people hate it to be limited to lower tier items, and having to spend hours to unlock stuff.

it is very nice to see you like the game. constructive feedback like yours is what made the game as it is now ! :)
And this is just the beginning :)

as Siberian Tiger mentioned, there will be community events, where you will be challenged along with thousands of others :)

MrWhite1972
08-05-2015, 13:24
also no way to compare friends times

Joris GvK
08-05-2015, 13:25
I'm just glad there is no grinding to a next higher level. Today i'm wanna have fun with the karts and later i'm going for a career in the LMP1 without having to unlock it. You have to create your own carrot in this game. ;)

JessicaWalter
08-05-2015, 13:25
The fact we don't have to grind and play modes and races we don't want is what drew me to the game. No real racing drivers have to "build up cash" to be able to drive a better car. that's corny stuff. it was only implemented in other games because it's a video game so they were adding a form of "progression," because a lot of casual gamers don't want to progress by getting better, they'd rather keep racing poorly and buying parts to overpower their opponents.

SMS nailed it with this set-up. get out there and find time on the track.

RwVision
08-05-2015, 13:28
Wow, so many fast answers:)

Like, I've mentoned, I don't mind the fast start with cars. Also PC allows to make the races really short, which should be not hours to earn something:)

I understand the community picked this up, shame for me hehe

More comments welcome!:)

Dan Blake Racing
08-05-2015, 13:30
I am liking the fact that you can start wherever you want. Those who want a challenge can start in karts and work their way up or be an instant star in the higher classes. It is YOUR career not one that is imposed on you which is a nice touch. I wish it was that simple Jessica in the real world or I may be racing something a bit more higher than I am now, the ' building up cash ' bit is the main problem haha, 200579

ThreeAngryOwls
08-05-2015, 13:31

Like, I've mentoned, I don't mind the fast start with cars. Also PC allows to make the races really short, which should be not hours to earn something:)

It's not exactly unlocking cars or anything, but you could try the 'Zero to Hero' challenge in the career. Start with karts and work your way up into GT cars, Prototypes and Formula A. But in terms of the original statement, it's actually quite refreshing not having to unlock things. I understand it's not for everyone, but it allows everyone to jump in and do exactly what you want from the start. I just suppose you need to have a strong passion for the loving of driving. :P

PowderGuy
08-05-2015, 13:33

Don't worry, most Asian whom only play GT6 or Forza have same thinking. Looks no Purpose, but as a driver Role, this actually fewer freedom on it.
(Well... in Hong Kong, GT6 guys ONLY Play Nur online every night.... real bored)

Unless you are the Team Boss or management crews in a Race Team

Also the upgrade.... looking for.... GT3 Class with 1000ps Turbo? Don't joke me, there vehicle setting already fit the Race Rule.

But wasn't bad, We could look forward like Real Super GT in Japan, Apply BOP on FIA-GT3 cars or JAF-GT cars in GT 300 class. or Codemaster F1 2010-2014 apply a little tweak for car performance.

If need a Upgrade, the race must need a car are start from stock, not anything suit the Race unless you upgrade it. This talking a lot of Game design and Fun factor balances.

RwVision
08-05-2015, 13:41
But few special events which grants you some special cars, wouldn't hurt anybody in the career, I think?:)

The1Dijk
08-05-2015, 13:42
Like may others I'm glad they made this decision. I play racing games to compete in seasons and try to be the champion at the end of the season, so career mode is just perfect for me. But like said to each his own.

PowderGuy
08-05-2015, 13:42
But few special events which grants you some special cars, wouldn't hurt anybody in the career, I think?:)

then I get hurt in Codemaster's F1 2012-2014 LOL

Bealdor
08-05-2015, 13:46

There are lots of invitational events in the career where you can drive single events or even small series in the classic and supercars.

Yoran
08-05-2015, 13:47
Many players will have the same reaction: no money or points won to lead the most best or powerful cars ? no and it is not the purpose of the game here .
the aim is not to "unlock" the cars, the goal is to do the best you can with the car of your choice, according to your desire.
Driving and make laps may seem "too easy" to some, but a ride with good lines, good speed, and win a few hundredths of a second that make the difference, it is the challenges of Project cars. .. and that's why we love it :-)

OneBadHuskerFan
08-05-2015, 14:06

You have ALL the cars already! I don't quite understand this. So you'd like them to take some of the cars already unlocked in the game and make them locked just for the artificial experience of having done something special to unlock them? Give me all the cars and all the tracks any day of the week.

Mad Al
08-05-2015, 14:14
The point of racing is to win the race.. compete and beat the others... the prize is totally secondary

(having said that, I do remember winning about 15 for a class win a in a national event back in 1988)

RwVision
08-05-2015, 14:16
You have ALL the cars already! I don't quite understand this. So you'd like them to take some of the cars already unlocked in the game and make them locked just for the artificial experience of having done something special to unlock them? Give me all the cars and all the tracks any day of the week.

Uhm... yes:) What's the point of anything, like in real life, when you've got already everything? hehe

I'm just getting the whole point, where most people now days want everything and all, just for fun. Days of sentimental cars and struggling are gone sadly :( If I wanted just play and race I would launch mario cart or crash bandicoot team racing haha

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

thainej6
08-05-2015, 14:17
For me, the whole game is just for fun and it ruins the whole point of enjoying it.

:confused:

I love that everything is unlocked from the get go. I can race whatever I want whenever without having to grind out unlocks. I find that type of setup frustrating, and I usually grow tired of it long before I've unlocked the content, ie I never even get to use it.

danowat
08-05-2015, 14:18
Driving and make laps may seem "too easy" to some

Easy?, really, they ain't driving the right cars fast enough if they are finding it easy!!!!

Lotus 98T in the wet, with no assists should prove a challenge to anyone!

Pamellaaa
08-05-2015, 14:29
Uhm... yes:) What's the point of anything, like in real life, when you've got already everything? hehe

I'm just getting the whole point, where most people now days want everything and all, just for fun. Days of sentimental cars and struggling are gone sadly :( If I wanted just play and race I would launch mario cart or crash bandicoot team racing haha

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

I think adding cars that can only be unlocked by completing certain challenges or winning a specific event would fundamentally break the dynamics of the "drive what you want when you want" ethos of the game.

I for one am glad that SMS have implemented things the way they have, I have never got on with karts in any game I have played them (or in real life) so if I was forced to win in Karts to progress it would be a very frustrating experience and would damage my opinion of the game.

I can see what you are saying about a desire to have some reward for driving in career mode but the whole point is that the driving itself is the reward, if you aren't enjoying the game and wanting to win whichever championship you are competing in now then frankly why play?

I think that some content like premium liveries or awards and recognition that can be displayed when racing online could be unlockable without compromising the feel of the game but part of the beauty of the game is the lack of currency system and the lack of need to grind to move up to the next car means that you can set the AI to a level that actually challenges you and enjoy close tight racing without feeling like you are missing out if you don't win every race.

RunsWithScissors
08-05-2015, 14:39
I completely agree, and am genuinely confused that everyone here has the opinion they do.

I want to see money, saving and buying up to a different class and unlocking events, adding parts to cars;

drifting physics are also busted. The game is far from complete in my opinion.

Looks pretty good though. I hate to say it. I've stopped playing all games really cause I was super stoked about

this one, and it is quite a let down. Probably wont be putting too many hours into it but ill definitely stick around to see it progress.

danowat
08-05-2015, 14:42
I completely agree, and am genuinely confused that everyone here has the opinion they do.

I want to see money, saving and buying up to a different class and unlocking events, adding parts to cars;

You're playing the wrong game, you aren't really the games demographic, you are better served with the Gran Turismo or Forza series of games.

Blackvault
08-05-2015, 14:42

Remember that this game isn't about drifting and is more aimed at racing. Therefore the physics aren't busted, merely your expectation and the actual product being two different things.

Pete

vicdavery
08-05-2015, 14:46
I was one of the people who voted for the game to be the way it is.

I derive pleasure from getting a single corner just right. Or nailing the perfect lap. Or having a close tussle with an opponent (whether AI or Online) even if I end up losing. This is the pleasure of racing whether that is for real or simulated.

PCARS delivers that pleasure brilliantly.

The GT/Forza game element of having to complete a challenge just to progress leaves me completely cold.

I guess it's horses for courses. And this horse is the PCARS course. :)

Ultralow
08-05-2015, 14:47
imo having to drive some slow pinto or minivan to progress is old ,outdated,and boring.......again IMO

GT500
08-05-2015, 14:49

Looks pretty good though. I hate to say it. I've stopped playing all games really cause I was super stoked about

this one, and it is quite a let down. Probably wont be putting too many hours into it but ill definitely stick around to see it progress.
Hell no this is the ultimate fun simulation of modern racing ever!
It gets real intense when racing online with others of a similar ability in a pact grid of cars approaching a turn jostling for position but always respecting the other racer. Organised races are a whole other world when you MUST respect others its marvelous :cool:

Ultralow
08-05-2015, 14:58
Also this game in only 1day has allowed me to enjoy racing again its been over 10yrs since i enjoyed a racing game ...hell i played lastnite online came in lastplace and still had a ball..........A+ SMS

2fast2drive
08-05-2015, 15:10
GT: that feeling when you finally bought you favourite car....

pCARS: that feeling when you finished an intense race with AI, palms sweaty and heart beats racing... Man that was a good race

JonZ
08-05-2015, 15:11
I too voiced many times that I would have a more engaging career during development. Right now career is no more than a little more scripted quick race mode.

RwVision
08-05-2015, 15:14
I too voiced many times that I would have a more engaging career during development. Right now career is no more than a little more scripted quick race mode.

Golden thought

RunsWithScissors
08-05-2015, 15:23
Perhaps WMD needs a new production manager.

And most of this community is fucking toxic as hell. Any ideas

come across as attacks on them; and they all love the way the game

is and would change nothing. As if it doesn't have problems. Community

takes a huge roll in the development of this game and with the way ideas

are constantly shunned away i'm not surprised it's as basic as it is.

JonZ
08-05-2015, 15:25
Now that's harsh.

MysterG
08-05-2015, 15:54
Harsh, rude and untrue.
Please amend your manner Mr Scissors.

Aldo Zampatti
08-05-2015, 16:18
As many here said. The idea was to be able to race whatever car you want, any moment you want at anytime you want.

I have a wife and a kid, sometimes I don't have time to grind all the way to the Lykan Motorsport!... So I love this "feature". I hope others follow our choice in the future as well, but everyone is entitled to their opinion as soon as they're expressed in a correct manner.

I can relate that JonZ mentioned he missed the Grinding, and he wasn't probably alone, but majority decided this way in the project.

Sankyo
08-05-2015, 17:44

And most of this community is fucking toxic as hell. Any ideas

come across as attacks on them; and they all love the way the game

is and would change nothing. As if it doesn't have problems. Community

takes a huge roll in the development of this game and with the way ideas

are constantly shunned away i'm not surprised it's as basic as it is.
You have the right to not like the structure that was chosen for this game. Just stay civil when voicing your opinion.

Bobbydakid
08-05-2015, 17:49
Coming from playing Forza I would get bored quite easily. The racing just isn't that fun and the AI are boring. It's almost like Turn 10 had to put progression in otherwise the game is too boring. Project Cars is the opposite, every car is truly unique, the AI are challenging and the racing is epic! I can tell I won't get bored of Project Cars simply because the game is so challenging.

Alejandro Riveiro
08-05-2015, 18:30
It's probably a matter of mindsets (something similar happened with MMOs a loooong time ago, and with sandbox games). The career has no goal, because it's you who has to chose what is your goal. Do you want to race LMP1 cars at Le Mans? you can do that, and you can decide to start directly there, or work your way up all the way from Karts, or see if you can defend your World Champion title three years in a row (or was it four? anyways...). In that sense, it's a sandbox on its own, and that has its downsides and upsides.

The best here is that you don't have to drive a car you don't like (you can even skip the event altogether), in your career, and that once you pick your starting point there is a progression, and it really is up to you how difficult you want to make it for yourself. But I totally understand people may feel a bit lost. Think of it (if it works for you) like something similar to Minecraft. You set yourself the goals you want to achieve, and then go and try to achieve them!

miagi
08-05-2015, 18:31
You mean ...
http://i.imgur.com/2RfLeYa.jpg

Patrik Marek
08-05-2015, 18:46
you have to think about it as "different approach to racing games"
no question that some will hate it, other will love it,

only time will show if it was right decision or not, but if we will see more games adopting to this system, it would be a message that it was right decision.

kjay
08-05-2015, 19:33
I'm not interested in the "Grind to get cars strategy" either. However, If the demand gets high enough maybe it's an option that can be implemented at a later date.

DoodlesSWE
08-05-2015, 19:37
...Everything seems to be just for fun...

Dang, imagine that a game that is just for fun :D

MisterO
08-05-2015, 19:40
Dang, imagine that a game that is just for fun :D

Whaaaaaaaat? This is a simulation, you can't have fun with a simulation!

:p

WhiteFox
08-05-2015, 19:58
The feeling I get from this game, is the feeling I'm not being "pushed" on ahead. And I like it!
When you need credits or do races to unlock other stuff, it's like you "learn" a track and quickly learn to race a certain type of car, before abandoning it all for something new.
It might not be that way, but it sure feels that way. I'd rather know a track with my eyes closed and know how a certain car really reacts, before I move on to something else.
And I can imagine some might not like it. I guess that's part of realism.

miagi
08-05-2015, 20:00
You still can do that no problem, you just don't have to. And how boring it would be if every racing game was the same.

ctd
08-05-2015, 20:07
Not to mention how much fun you can have attending MP races in this game. :triumphant:

Jack66
08-05-2015, 20:11
Gaining cars in rracing games has always struck me as being pretty stupid. Winning MP races / improving hotlap times / beating ghost challenges is enough IMO

MisterO
08-05-2015, 20:22
+ winning solo races, because you can't turn down the experience of your human opponents in mp races and sometimes you just want to work your way through the field and win like a real pro - the easy way :D

Yorkyboy72
08-05-2015, 21:38
For me, the enjoyment is beating my last lap time, increasing my finish position, getting better. Being part of a league is something I'm looking forward to, much better than the clubs in driveclub.

For the challenge of earning points, getting better cars, I have Driveclub and Forza Horizons which I love for different reasons.

CarlsonsRaiders
08-05-2015, 21:41
Having played Forza since the first game came out in 2005 up to today, I for one am rather looking forward to getting away from the grind of having to start out in cheap hatchbacks and work my way up through the classes of cars until I finally get to the juicy race cars and supercars I lust after.

Project CARS gives me the ability to jump in and race a kart, an LMP1 car or a Caterham at any time, on any track, and for any reason, no grinding, no waiting, no problem. Will be nice to play a racing sim where I can focus on beating my fastest laps, winning races and championships and having fun instead of trying to save up my credits for a car I desperately want.

RwVision
08-05-2015, 21:42
Reading all those posts, gives me one more thought:

If you so much like having all cars, the freedom to choose any event that you want... So why even bother to have an career? You can create any kind of event you want, choose what car you want in other mode.

If we have 2 separate game modes - one should be somewhat different. Why bother calling it career, where everyone has already that freedom in custom events? All I see is "I like jump straight to this and that" - ok, fine, but why you mix a story of career with old "arcade modes"? I just wanted a point of view of having prizes, choosing 50 different events at a time and more responsible actions which you can take. Play and go is in another mode or mp:)

Also other point of view - for me, the career does not give enough freedom to choose from - it is a strict, line based choosing a, b or c story.

Thanks and cheers!

Umer Ahmad
08-05-2015, 21:46
Personally, i will never use the career. I guess some people need motivation like this, to collect awards/trophies etc. So it becomes a "game" for them with a purpose. For me (and you too I guess) the motivation is racing humans and improving my lap times. THAT'S ALL I NEED.

Robert
08-05-2015, 22:07
I don't mind having some "challanges", but i bleive they are already on the "wish list" ?

Padmod
08-05-2015, 22:07
Reading all those posts, gives me one more thought:

If you so much like having all cars, the freedom to choose any event that you want... So why even bother to have an career? You can create any kind of event you want, choose what car you want in other mode.

If we have 2 separate game modes - one should be somewhat different. Why bother calling it career, where everyone has already that freedom in custom events? All I see is "I like jump straight to this and that" - ok, fine, but why you mix a story of career with old "arcade modes"? I just wanted a point of view of having prizes, choosing 50 different events at a time and more responsible actions which you can take. Play and go is in another mode or mp:)

Also other point of view - for me, the career does not give enough freedom to choose from - it is a strict, line based choosing a, b or c story.

Thanks and cheers!

It's an attempt at emulating what a real racing driver's career path might involve. As a racing driver in the real world, there are no experience points or unlocks, what defines you're career is your ability to drive and exposure in the motor racing scene. Obviously money helps, but that's more about Sponsorship and being able to fund globe trotting to further your career. The driver is rarely responsibly for buying the car or the team's expenses. Your goal should be the same as a real racing driver, to win races and, ultimately, the championship. You should also be trying to develop your career and reach higher levels of racing. Talk to any current kart driver, no one wants to stay driving karts for the rest of their life. Most will want to get to a higher level of open wheel, particularly Formula 1.

The decision was made quite early on for the game not to hold your hand, I think the experience benefits as a result :)

miagi
08-05-2015, 22:10
Well that is realistic. In doubt pCARS always goes for the realsitic scenario. Normally drivers work their way up, step by step. The most talaneted ones sometimes skip a level, but that is rare. Also no serious race driver goes from e.g. LMP2 to GT4, that would be pointless. So that's how race driver careers go, that's what you get.

RwVision
08-05-2015, 22:13
I totally agree with the real point of view, but as you can see, most people want to have all cars and events ready at start. Well that's unrealistic! Hehe

miagi
08-05-2015, 22:15
I totally agree with the real point of view, but as you can see, most people want to have all cars and events ready at start. Well that's unrealistic! Hehe

No, now you are mixing up two different things. Ppl want everything at the start, but they don't want it in a career, they want it in TT, Solo Race and MP.

Firefox02
08-05-2015, 22:31
I think it's great I can jump into any race I want when I want.

However if I keep jumping from tier to tier in Carreer mode, how can I earn the "From zero to hero" goal ?

Would I have to start all over with a new save file & play strictly from tier 8 to 1 ?

MonsterDogs
09-05-2015, 00:29
For me the pure enjoyment of Project Cars is pushing myself for that perfect lap, faster time, finding the best set up, it's what's keeps me coming back for more. I would hate having to grind things out, I have the choice from the beginning to do what I want to do within the game. I'm not a fan of Kart racing, so having not to begin at the bottom with them is a plus for me. Try setting your own goals within the game, might change how you feel.

Francorchamps
09-05-2015, 00:46
Hi there

This is something I can't understand and I would like to ask you people for your opinions:

Why developers didn't create a real-fun career where money/credits comes in consideration for buying cars? Like, where's the point of playing the whole game?

This game is about motorsports so it should deliver on that promise. When you go into motorsports in real life you don't unlock cars or upgrades by winning races or scoring points. It's all about winning championships and winning trophies. I don't know what platform you are on but I'm unlocking trophies on PS4.

When you play Formula 1 games of Fifa you don't win anything either except for titles and trophies.

I guess you bought the wrong game because I can't see what there should be else to win except for titles and trophies.

This game is simulates real motorsports not some kind of pokemon style game where you got to catch them all ;)

RwVision
09-05-2015, 07:37
This game is simulates real motorsports not some kind of pokemon style game where you got to catch them all ;)

I guess this sentence sums up this discussion :)

Robes
09-05-2015, 08:26
For me the career is almost perfect, it's everything I've wanted from a racing game. It's a simulated full motorsports world that feels real. Thankfully they didn't go down the route of buying cars and upgrading them, there are already many games available with that system in place.

Ramshackle
09-05-2015, 09:58
Just registered because I wanted to chip in on this. I don't mind that all cars are unlocked from the get-go, but I do believe the game would benefit greatly from some goals and incentives, whether it be some kind of ranking system or some form of unlockable content. Could be anything from car liveries to helmet designs. There's a reason why CoD servers stay active years after the games realease - because the leveling up, completeing challenges and content unlocking keeps people coming back. Before anyone shouts me down for comparing a racing game to a shooter, you're missing the point. This is motor racing, there has to be something (other than cars) to dangle infront of players and keep them pushing forward. Are people still going to be playing project cars this time next year just "for the love of racing"? I certainly hope so, but the lack of progression, direction or unlockable content in Project Cars makes me a little concerned about its longevity. Just my two cents.

Neil Bateman
09-05-2015, 10:42
Just registered because I wanted to chip in on this. I don't mind that all cars are unlocked from the get-go, but I do believe the game would benefit greatly from some goals and incentives, whether it be some kind of ranking system or some form of unlockable content. Could be anything from car liveries to helmet designs. There's a reason why CoD servers stay active years after the games realease - because the leveling up, completeing challenges and content unlocking keeps people coming back. Before anyone shouts me down for comparing a racing game to a shooter, you're missing the point. This is a motor racing, there has to be something (other than cars) to dangle infront of players and keep them pushing forward. Are people still going to be playing project cars this time next year just "for the love of racing"? I certainly hope so, but the lack of progression, direction or unlockable content in Project Cars makes me a little concerned about its longevity. Just my two cents.

I have never bought a racing game for anything else but the love of driving, rfactor, iracing, nr2003 (one of my old favorites) all of those sort of games are purely about driving and competiton and have been around for years and are as popular as ever and will be for years to come.
When a game comes out i look to see what it is, what content and features it has and decide if i would consider playing it, thats why i dont buy games that involve anything that does not exist in real life motorsport.
I want to get in whatever car i need to to race againts other drivers, been doing that for 25 yrs and will keep doing it untill im too old and weak to get up off the armchair.

Dresden
09-05-2015, 10:58
Obviously I have only just started the game, but I really love the change from the usual grind for cars. If I want that style I can always play Forza or GT. This game feels more like a lead in to the F1 world, where I can work my way up from Formula Rookie all the way to the top. The tier system and the low number of vehicles actually works here.

Time will tell if it keeps the motivation going for me, but at the moment it feels great.

adi518
09-05-2015, 11:19
What do you mean no purpose? what about the purpose of enjoyment? I seriously don't get this question. I hate having to 'unlock' things. People yell 'acrade'.. well 'unlocking' stuff is a classic arcade feature! we don't need that. Cars is huge fun in single-player mode, but honestly a racing game is meant to be multi-played, that's where the real fun is!

Btw, Kunos also took this approach and I don't see this kind of 'complaint' over their game, which emphasis my point, it's redundant for a sim approach.

Gordon
09-05-2015, 11:30
Regarding the fun question, remember only a tiny proportion of people in real world motorsport make a career out of it. Many who start in karts stay there their whole active life.

Why? well, because its fun, the same reason I play project cars ( and other sims previously).

:)

Francorchamps
09-05-2015, 11:53
The problem with pCARS is that there are not enough race games on the new consoles. People that normally play Need for speed and other arcade racers are buying pCARS because there is not much else to buy if you want to race a car. These people are used to getting rewarded for everything they do in a game. They don't see pCARS as a simulator but as a video game.

This could be a problem for pCARS 2 if SMS expects to sell as many copies or even more. The community should come with some ideas to reward those players in pCARS2 without compromising the initial purpose of this game.

Ramshackle
09-05-2015, 12:30
The problem with pCARS is that there are not enough race games on the new consoles. People that normally play Need for speed and other arcade racers are buying pCARS because there is not much else to buy if you want to race a car. These people are used to getting rewarded for everything they do in a game. They don't see pCARS as a simulator but as a video game.

This could be a problem for pCARS 2 if SMS expects to sell as many copies or even more. The community should come with some ideas to reward those players in pCARS2 without compromising the initial purpose of this game.

My thoughts exactly. A lot of people here seem to think the only ones who've bought PCars are racing nuts who only got the game for the love of racing. There'll be a hell of a lot of casuals who got this game simply because they want a good racer (especially PS4 users) and I feel they'll be left wanting at the lack of progression and unlockables. The carrot and stick concept is one of the main fundementals of videogames that keeps people playing for months/years after their release. I can't help but feel PCars have overlooked that aspect, which like I said before, gives me concern about its longevity.

TylerDurden4321
11-05-2015, 17:35
My problem as a semewhat casual player (got a wheel, favorite racing game is FM5) with the career is that there is no incentive to try harder, no feeling of progression or reward.
When I get first place with a big gap, I set the difficulty higher, get 3rd in qualifying(seems like the right difficulty now, right?) then the actual race takes place in rainy weather and (maybe it's the AI being too competetive in the rain, maybe it's my lack of skill, doesn't matter here) either I end up being too slow and cautious to be competetive or try too hard to keep up and spin out. What do I do next? I exit, set the difficulty lower, restart, this time no rain, I get first place, BIG gap to second.

If everyone has everything from the start and has to make their own challenges, most people will just fiddle around with it for a while, make things too easy for themselves and forget the game very soon.
Give them challenges, some shorter, some longer, some harder, some easier, mix them up and people will keep playing. Also: Make them compete against their friends, not against global leader-boards in an extra mode, make them compete all the time.

Car-pokemon is another great to give a feel of proegression and reward, but it's against the philosophy an actual racing focused sim, so I agree, that's not a good idea to solve this problem that some people seem to have with the game.
But let's have a look at Driveclub's progression system. There, cars and challenges are unlocked by collecting up to 3 stars in different challenges.
I'm not saying PCARS should tie either cars, tracks or leagues to the career, but give us a career (optional with extra achievements/trophies would be fine) where we can't start in the higher leagues and the contracts you get offered in your career are tied to the difficulty you chose (on the lowest difficulty maybe it should take 2-3 seasons to get a contract to a higher league, whereas on the 100-difficulty you will get offers from all kinds of leagues, maybe even LMP after your first season as kart champion).
Throw in some goodies for that slow-unlock career mode as rewards like the uber-coolest paint jobs or different replay/visual-effects and it'll be good.

The "followers"-mechanic is a step in the right direction in the gamification of a pure-sim. You need to make the player feel how racing in higher leagues changes the lives of their player character. Another relatively cheap mechanic could be the racing team internal rival driver, injuries, giving interviews, selecting commercial deals or agents.
My advice for a PCARS 2: Look at the latest Senna or Ali documentaries or at "Rush", the makers of these know how to make something you normally don't care for interesting to a wide audience by making these sport icons relatable and open a perspective of important events in history.

Umer Ahmad
11-05-2015, 17:37
It's bit like golf. You play to lower your score and perfect your own game. The other guys are a bit irrelevant. The opponent = you

That said, once the AI stop being a challenge it's time to step up to some CLEAN/ORGANIZED/LEAGUE racing with talented guys. This is where Project CARS comes alive honestly and what will keep me playing for years. (And HAS kept me playing since 2011)

JessicaWalter
11-05-2015, 17:50
Unfortunately, people do want to be rewarded for everything they accomplish in the game. I hope it doesn't affect casual gamers' perception of the game. The reward is when you improve your driving and start shaving time off your laps. That's better than "credits" or "kudos" or unlocking your 400th skyline or whatever.

Golf was a good comparison.

Killzone729
11-05-2015, 17:51
Hi there

Everything seems to be just for fun, I have no drive in this game to go harder or so. The whole point of racing games couple years ago was almost always to gather your own "legacy", choose your favorite vehicles, spend hours on available events just to purchase it and then tune it. Don't want to spam, but the perfect example was playing gt3, where I had my black corvetta, which I used to the end of the game. Not every car was buy-able, you had to win specific events or special time tracks to earn some exotic cars.

Everything pushed you to earn some prize and gave you the drive to complete all this events on 1st positions, you could not wait sometimes to earn enough credits to buy an upgrade and play with it.

Project cars is an amazing game, everything here is superb - amount of options and technical solutions are something I have waited for so long, but when I've played it, I come to this game like it was just an another racing game.

I assume that, many people like just online competition, but for those who like single - Do you really like this type of solution? Where you just race specific events in specific cars, all of this fake community, funny emails, that pretend to create some real life racer? Along time it just comes to pressing faster next event, just to play another race...

With all of those cars and potential, why not create some special events to win CARS? For me, the whole game is just for fun and it ruins the whole point of enjoying it. Planing your cars, events and lurking for special prizes would be soooo great!

Well, it's just my opinion, I would like to know, why people like simple, non-thinking career, rather than an enjoyable, planned fun?

Oh, and - I really don't mind the fast start with some cars selected for other players.

Cheers!

I haven't read what anyone else has had to say, but the whole point of Project Cars (for me anyway) was to drive some of the best production cars, on some of the best tracks, with full day/night and weather in a beautiful racing simulation. Something no one else has done or even tried to do. All the while if choosing to participate in the career mode, choosing your own path. If you want to start at the bottom and work your way to the top (sorry Drake), you can do that. If you want to be the best P1 racer 10 years in the running. You can do that too. I personally love having everything available to me at all times. I do understand your thought process on unlocking things and wanting to work towards something. But I feel like it would be more like other racers and hold back it's potential. The journey is supposed to be what you make of it. Me? I am enjoying learning some of these tracks that no other racer has ever brought to the table (for me anyway) and turning out fast lap times.

I am glad that you are pleased with the game. But I certainly hope you find some passion in playing it if you don't have some already. :)

Roger Prynne
11-05-2015, 18:37
Personally, i will never use the career. I guess some people need motivation like this, to collect awards/trophies etc. So it becomes a "game" for them with a purpose. For me (and you too I guess) the motivation is racing humans and improving my lap times. THAT'S ALL I NEED.
I've never even clicked on career at all and probably never will.... never has interested me in any racing game.
I just want to jump into whatever car/track that suits me at any time against the AI or online.

caslad81
11-05-2015, 21:45
I'd say the purpose of playing is to get the enjoyment out of actually racing. Personally, and its only my opinion, I find grinding my way to races/events to get to certain cars/events isn't fun at all.

Obviously this is all just IMO.

Pete
This is correct, a racing sim and racing is the fun part! If you want to buy and tune cars I think Pcars is not really the game for you.

Let-me-in98
11-05-2015, 21:55
The purpose of the game is that feeling that you get when you win a race, and you have to complete the goals to get in to the Hall of Fame.

Ambro789
11-05-2015, 23:16
I mentioned this in another thread as well. I am glad we do not have to grind. I am glad we do not have to level up. At the same time I do miss that kind of stuff. Like I said in my thread. If we could at least get emails from second or even third level teams that would have sub par cars that would be fun. Remember when Bass Pro Shops first came to Nascar? Then started in Busch before they ever got excepted into Sprint Cup. So it would be fun to work with off brand companies and try to build up the race team by placing well in events. Like for the first time you race for some off company you are only expect to place in the top 10 or so. Of course, goes without saying, the car would not run as well as top tier race teams cars. You would have a number of random things happen to your car.

spinkick
12-05-2015, 01:17
I'm guessing he's a younger guy with the current unlock/perk call of duty generation. These poor gamers are programmed for the grind, and not the joy of just simply playing the game.

Michael Zomaya
12-05-2015, 04:33
Doesn't this then pose the question; What's the difference b/w Career mode and a Race Weekend? From what I can tell so far, the Career mode is just a collection of several race weekends.

Career mode honestly needs more depth for the user to invest more time into their career in order to achieving something other than a trophy. What that is, I don't exactly know. Maybe new sponsors with new liveries for you to place? Invitations from more competitive teams within your Tier? I.e. From McLaren to Mercedes F1.

I'm not saying that the above is the solution, but what I do agree on is that the Career mode definitely needs something more as an incentive to even bother playing in the first place.

blacknred81
12-05-2015, 04:50
I really never like having to do stuff to unlock stuff in racing games, just feels wrong to me....

Maybe unlocking higher levels in a racing game in career mode, yes, but to unlock stuff for single race or time trials? That I just dont agree with.....

Hell I have a few PS2 games (F1 2001 and Grand Prix Challenge) where you had to unlock tracks TRACKS! for an F1 game!

Michael Zomaya
12-05-2015, 05:21
I just feel like there was soo much promise from PCars Career mode. I want to make more decisions during my career rather than the simple 'would you like to race for us?' offer.

Like I said before, I assumed their would be more depth and realism to the whole career mode, where I started with an entry level team within a Championship that had relatively little or no sponsorship. With better results, sponsors start to jump on-board and then maybe I could invest in a better pit crew, improving my pit-stops. Maybe I could use the sponsor money to invest in a better manufacturer of tyres, giving me that slight edge over the lesser teams?

There is soo much more that goes on within the racing world other than racing and the career mode should encapsulate that to a degree.

Oliver1989G
12-05-2015, 06:02

Exactly how i see it as well mate. Well said.

Grim80
12-05-2015, 08:28
I really can't understand why people here don't understand the Career mode offered by Project CARS, it's trying to emulate a real driver's career, not a make believe one with winning money, cars and upgrades etc.

It's refreshing that a developer has finally offered a 'real' career mode for once, not some unrealistic career where you win money and cars like they grow on trees.

The challenge is in winning races and championships, what more do you want to win, that is the desire of all real racing drivers and that is what pCARS is emulating and I love that, I don't need or want to win cars or money, pro racers don't pay for cars, teams give them the chance to drive them to win and that is real world motorsports.

WobblyCaptain
12-05-2015, 08:34
After playing forza for many years I am loving this career mode and the game project cars its awesome

Michael Zomaya
13-05-2015, 00:13
Yes I concede that they've followed the path of a 'real' career, but besides having a cumulative set of race weekends, there is no differentiation b/w a race career and a race weekend.

I want to see more depth in a career mode. I want to see the team I'm racing for improve as I secure them wins or placings higher up the grid, whether it's new sponsors, maybe new engineers that give you advice on tuning? Again, I'm not talking solution mode, but a career needs to have more going for it than winning a championship.

For instance, Clio Cup, my team-mate consistently was finishing bottom 5 whilst I was finishing in the top 5. Besides some random tweets and emails saying well done, nothing else came of it - Surely there's more that could of been done than a few emails and tweets.

Career mode does little to make me feel part of a team, I know nothing about my team, my team mate, the championship I'm racing in or even the expectation of my team.

Hungrypiemonger
14-05-2015, 19:31
The Developers are aiming for realism it seems. In reality drivers don't buy their cars or upgrades, their company does. Drivers do win race money but they don't need to invest back into their job. But if you really need something I am sure the Devs could come up with something like a claw machine to win plush dolls or model cars by spending cash but really why fix something that isn't broken. There are plenty of awards to earn on your driver profile and Achievements/Trophies as well.

Ryno917
14-05-2015, 19:38
Doesn't this then pose the question; What's the difference b/w Career mode and a Race Weekend? From what I can tell so far, the Career mode is just a collection of several race weekends.

That's basically what a career is. That being said, your follow up post:

I just feel like there was soo much promise from PCars Career mode. I want to make more decisions during my career rather than the simple 'would you like to race for us?' offer.

Like I said before, I assumed their would be more depth and realism to the whole career mode, where I started with an entry level team within a Championship that had relatively little or no sponsorship. With better results, sponsors start to jump on-board and then maybe I could invest in a better pit crew, improving my pit-stops. Maybe I could use the sponsor money to invest in a better manufacturer of tyres, giving me that slight edge over the lesser teams?

There is soo much more that goes on within the racing world other than racing and the career mode should encapsulate that to a degree.

... I think is spot on. Having your team improve with you would be cool. You start your career as a zero in a 'has-been' team, and work with them to improve and become a bigger franchise, or get stolen by a successful team part-way through the process. Earning new sponsorships that allow the team to expand or to move up a tier, etc etc. That would add a new dimension to it.

But to everyone requesting money and car mods and stuff? No. Just... no. The industry is filled with those games. pCARS is a racing sim with a career mode, not a driving game with car collection. The games are different, and that's kind of the point. If you want that type of game, play one of the other offerings. If you want a racing sim with a driver's career, play pCARS. I don't get why anyone would want to take pCARS and turn it into Forza or Gran Turismo. The world already has those games.

As for the 'what's the point?' questions: What's the point to unlocking new things? If you don't enjoy racing for what racing is, why are you playing a racing game at all? Forza and GT need those mechanics because the racing is non-existent in them. They're car collecting games with very poor facsimiles of races. A good, close race is the point, and the goal. Everything else is noise.

menaceuk
14-05-2015, 19:56
Hi there

Cheers!

I do not consider a career real-fun when it based around shallow progression systems and grinding ideology. IMO, those kind of systems promote bad driving/racing and tempt folk to play at an easy difficulty simply because the money/credits are a necessity to progress. Take Forza or Gran Turismo for example, are their careers really fun? are they even careers ? I say nope, the career is basically a glorified version of the Solo event in this game.

I have wanted Forza to do a career more like we have in P'Cars for ages. A more discipline specific set up and more akin to real life racing series.

For me, with P'CARS, the drive to play is simply the thrill to race. I find nothing more refreshing than a game that simply says, Hey, here is everything we got, go have fun. Very few games in general do that, and virtually no racing games do that on Console.

Ryno917
14-05-2015, 20:07
I find nothing more refreshing than a game that simply says, Hey, here is everything we got, go have fun. Very few games in general do that, and virtually no racing games do that on Console.

It's funny, I was talking to a friend of mine a few weeks ago about the industry in general, and he said "There's two approaches to game making. The first is grinding - lots of content, and repetitive schemes to earn the content. The second approach is to make the game fun."

menaceuk
14-05-2015, 20:12
It's funny, I was talking to a friend of mine a few weeks ago about the industry in general, and he said "There's two approaches to game making. The first is grinding - lots of content, and repetitive schemes to earn the content. The second approach is to make the game fun."

Sounds about right. Shame the balance is heavily tipped in preference to the former.

I guess it isn't surprising though, it seems gamers today need these rudimentary systems to enjoy games. Gamers rarely seem to play just for fun nowadays.

Barred
14-05-2015, 20:15

No shame your OP was polite and well put, I like the other posters so far happen to disagree.

I love the fact that you can go international power mad to a kart session depending how you feel, not what you have unlocked. I also like the lack of Lamborghini and Ferrari's, there are plenty of other games that have these cars, it is nice to get away from the same old cars that have been done to death. It is the same when it comes to the circuits there are different ones that are rare in games. It would be nice to see some international circuits at the same level of Oulton Park.

LordDRIFT
14-05-2015, 20:30
I like the concept. You can actually play the game how you want this way - and its not more of the same been there done that. Start in a lower class and see what comes. That's what im doing. Starting with the clio cup (I hate karts). And guess what? The game doesn't force me to drive them (that is unless I want to do 0-hero). Grinding for cash is actually rather upsetting and I think that's how some games the replay up.

legendm0de
14-05-2015, 21:39
Hi there

Cheers!

My driver network profile is already over 9 hours, I haven't even run one race, N. American PS4 users were last to get this game, I haven't even had this game 48 hours. There is plenty of fun in this game to be found.

g33k hack3rs
14-05-2015, 22:28
I enjoy my career and think the way that all career races are open from the start is a much better approach than the traditional racing games. Just surprised that after the first career choice you don't have the option to jump to any but have to wait for some invitation. Maybe I haven't done quite enough yet but was hoping that I can just do GT5 and then jump into LMP1 if I wanted to. Not that it would be bad to progress to other racing classes first but don't understand why everything is open at the beginning and then this choice limits any additional choice. I could have multiple racing careers at the same time but just different than I expected.

In the end I must say I enjoy this much more than other racing games. Not sure what is fun about collecting cars. I enjoy racing and collecting trophies and accolades so I don't miss the grinding part. Now I can bump up the AI and have a real challenge without forfeiting the prize or money just for coming in first place. A hard fought 5th place is much more entertaining than lapping the field 10 times just for some credits and a car.

IMO

rolandk10
14-05-2015, 22:40
I enjoy my career and think the way that all career races are open from the start is a much better approach than the traditional racing games. Just surprised that after the first career choice you don't have the option to jump to any but have to wait for some invitation. Maybe I haven't done quite enough yet but was hoping that I can just do GT5 and then jump into LMP1 if I wanted to. Not that it would be bad to progress to other racing classes first but don't understand why everything is open at the beginning and then this choice limits any additional choice. I could have multiple racing careers at the same time but just different than I expected.

In the end I must say I enjoy this much more than other racing games. Not sure what is fun about collecting cars. I enjoy racing and collecting trophies and accolades so I don't miss the grinding part. Now I can bump up the AI and have a real challenge without forfeiting the prize or money just for coming in first place. A hard fought 5th place is much more entertaining than lapping the field 10 times just for some credits and a car.

IMO

You can start a new career and choose the other tier you want. You can have multiple careers so you don't lose progression on your current one.

Edit: I just noticed you said that already. nm