PDA

View Full Version : Screen goes blank, and computer locks up, but I can still hear sounds from the game

doctharock
08-05-2015, 14:14
Hey guys,

I have a weird issue. Specs are below in sig. I have a random freeze, I guess we will call it that, when playing. It seems to happen more in career mode than anything else, but have also had it happen once in practice. I will be driving, everything is good, and then all of the sudden, the screens go dark and no inputs work. Wheel, keyboard, mouse, all dead. But the sound from the game is still going. I have checked my temps on my cpu and gpu but they are both just fine (cpu is at 60 c and gpu is at 65 c with vrms at 70 c at load). I have been able to continually replicate the issue in the clio cup career mode at donnington, as well as in free practice with the same car and track. I thought maybe it was that combo, so i skipped the clio cup career mode and went to the gt5. I ran the full practice session (30 min) just fine. But as soon as I went to qualifying it did the same thing on the first lap. Was able to replicate this 3 times. The only thing i can do when this happens is reboot. Obviously this is quite frustrating. Any clue what is happening? Is this a bug? Or is there an issue with my machine? I don't have this issue with any other games, so I wouldn't think it's on my end, but definitely not ruling that out. Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated.

MaXKiLLz
08-05-2015, 14:20
So you're unable to Ctrl-Alt-Delete into the Task Manager and end PCars when this occurs?

doctharock
08-05-2015, 14:25
So you're unable to Ctrl-Alt-Delete into the Task Manager and end PCars when this occurs?

That is correct. I can't do anything. All inputs are dead.

x107
08-05-2015, 14:33
Try disabling the Steam overlay. Right now it is thought that it could be causing some of these problems. I had the same thing happen last night in multiplayer. When loading a race I was using the overlay to chat, and the screen went black, everything froze, and I could hear the audio repeating in the background. When not using the overlay there are less problems it seems, but there can still be issues.

doctharock
08-05-2015, 14:38
Try disabling the Steam overlay. Right now it is thought that it could be causing some of these problems. I had the same thing happen last night in multiplayer. When loading a race I was using the overlay to chat, and the screen went black, everything froze, and I could hear the audio repeating in the background. When not using the overlay there are less problems it seems, but there can still be issues.

Ok perfect. I will give that a shot and report back. Thanks mate.

x107
08-05-2015, 16:38
No problem, hope it works for you :D

doctharock
09-05-2015, 01:27
So, turning off the steam overlay didn't do anything to help. What did help, however, was turning off fraps. Unfortunately that cause it to freeze in a different way. It just hard froze. I could still see the screen and this time no sound. I found I believe to be the problem. It has to be AMD's driver support. Or lack there of. I turned down all the settings to low and it plays now without freezing. However, even with everything on low i barely get 55 fps. I have a 290x so I shouldn't be longing for fps, especially on low. But anywho, guess I just need to wait until AMD releases a better driver. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

colombianomd
09-05-2015, 02:05
I'm also getting this issue after the patch. It worked great when I purchased the game, but now it crashes. I noticed that if I set the video card settings to the stock settings it doesn't crash. I don't understand; however, since it was working ok with the settings before and it works with those settings in other games. The OC is stable on the stress tests.

Morgan Henstridge
09-05-2015, 02:11
Hi Guys, check if anything is logged in the Windows Event Viewer at the time of these crashes.

I used to get this occasionally in development builds and it logged that the nvidia display driver had stopped responding.

I am on the latest WHQL nvidia driver now and I no longer see this issue. I also tuned down my Factory OC on my GPU by a little bit, so this may be related.

TBbadmofo
09-05-2015, 03:00
I'm coming from the steam forums (http://steamcommunity.com/app/234630/discussions/4/613957600526637559/) with this same issue, sometimes I couldn't even make it out of the pit when the problem would strike and I was never able to finish a match. '

I have found the culprit. Turn Shadows to the lowest setting. Now I can finish a race.

colombianomd
09-05-2015, 06:16
I found the error hard to replicate 100%; however, this happened almost 7/10 times. I did 35 car grid on SPA 1700hrs in storm weather. I kept the helmet view since I use trackIR. Results were that the game crashed w/in 30 seconds. This also happened in other scenarios and on MP (even career).
1. Disabled trackIR; also disabled Steam Overlay
2. Disabled under visual/hardware>share memory off (since I use sensadigit's dashmeter on my tablet)
Ran the game on my regular stock non-OC settings and was able to play for about 1 hr until it crashed on multiplayer.
Next I set my OC settings back on and no crash. 2 laps
Next I enabled trackIR and no crash.2 laps
Finally re-enabled memory share and the game crashed with in 30 seconds.

Even with stock settings the game crashed for me during multiplayer. As mentioned in the OP sound emits while the screen blanks out. The error here is displayed twice and once in a while windows says something about the driver(stopped responding). So memory share seems to be giving me the issue, but not all the time since it crashed with it off too.

Aldo Zampatti
09-05-2015, 06:19
Always in MultiPlayer?

Morgan Henstridge
09-05-2015, 06:26
I found the error hard to replicate 100%; however, this happened almost 7/10 times. I did 35 car grid on SPA 1700hrs in storm weather. I kept the helmet view since I use trackIR. Results were that the game crashed w/in 30 seconds. This also happened in other scenarios and on MP (even career).
1. Disabled trackIR; also disabled Steam Overlay
2. Disabled under visual/hardware>share memory off (since I use sensadigit's dashmeter on my tablet)
Ran the game on my regular stock non-OC settings and was able to play for about 1 hr until it crashed on multiplayer.
Next I set my OC settings back on and no crash. 2 laps
Next I enabled trackIR and no crash.2 laps
Finally re-enabled memory share and the game crashed with in 30 seconds.

Even with stock settings the game crashed for me during multiplayer. As mentioned in the OP sound emits while the screen blanks out. The error here is displayed twice and once in a while windows says something about the driver(stopped responding). So memory share seems to be giving me the issue, but not all the time since it crashed with it off too.

Check the Windows Event Viewer for an error at the time of these crashes.

Sounds like "Display Driver has stopped responding". This should be reported in the Windows event Viewer.

It may be related to the OC if this is the case, if it ran for an hour on stock clocks. You might want to give it a longer test with the OC than 2 laps, but without Shared Memory enabled, to be sure.

I used to get the Display Driver has Stopped Responding on my 780TI intermittently, which is factory overclocked. When I set it back to the base nvidia clocks, it runs flawlessly.

TBbadmofo
09-05-2015, 17:45
Did you try what I said on page 1 and turn down shadows all the way? I was unable to ever finish even a lap, now I have 0 crashes.

doctharock
09-05-2015, 22:18
I found a fix, if you are using an amd card, at least. Go install this driver. http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=398523
I played for 3 hours today with nary a crash. This also improved my fps by almost 20!

Chanur
09-05-2015, 22:29
Hey guys,

I have a weird issue. Specs are below in sig. I have a random freeze, I guess we will call it that, when playing. It seems to happen more in career mode than anything else, but have also had it happen once in practice. I will be driving, everything is good, and then all of the sudden, the screens go dark and no inputs work. Wheel, keyboard, mouse, all dead. But the sound from the game is still going. I have checked my temps on my cpu and gpu but they are both just fine (cpu is at 60 c and gpu is at 65 c with vrms at 70 c at load). I have been able to continually replicate the issue in the clio cup career mode at donnington, as well as in free practice with the same car and track. I thought maybe it was that combo, so i skipped the clio cup career mode and went to the gt5. I ran the full practice session (30 min) just fine. But as soon as I went to qualifying it did the same thing on the first lap. Was able to replicate this 3 times. The only thing i can do when this happens is reboot. Obviously this is quite frustrating. Any clue what is happening? Is this a bug? Or is there an issue with my machine? I don't have this issue with any other games, so I wouldn't think it's on my end, but definitely not ruling that out. Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated.

Hi

try to unoced this: AMD R9 290x OC'ed to 1080/1300 i have a gtx 960 g1 gaming very well oced BUT pcars seem to dont like the ocing in gpu...:apologetic:

i return to stock and the problem dissapear...

hope this helps

Aldo Zampatti
09-05-2015, 23:01
I found a fix, if you are using an amd card, at least. Go install this driver. http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=398523
I played for 3 hours today with nary a crash. This also improved my fps by almost 20!

That's right, but be-aware that those are experimental drivers :)

doctharock
10-05-2015, 17:23
That's right, but be-aware that those are experimental drivers :)

Very true. I am a bit of a risk taker :D

colombianomd
11-05-2015, 13:16
Morgan,

I gave up on it actually. I found that all the crashing hosed up my NVIDIA driver so I uninstalled it (using DDU software) and reinstalled it. Set MSI Afterburner to stock when I play Pcars and haven't experimented much with it. The times I've played with it it hasn't crashed ( I played about 2 hrs. MP with about 5-7 drivers and no issues using trackIR); however, I still have "share memory" under hardware settings off. I don't think I need to OC the card unless it's a 35 grid car and in the heavy rain, I was just using it as worse case scenario since I noticed that is where most of the HP is needed from the video card. Anyway, I set game w/ Vsync on so it caps the framerate, but also to get rid of tearing.

smokin_thumz
11-05-2015, 14:15
Hi
Had similar problems,firstly are u using the Logitech profiler?if u r make sure it's not only active but open on ur desktop.
Secondly try changing the visual settings to windowed mode,try those and if the window mode works Google boderless gaming software

Morgan Henstridge
11-05-2015, 14:27
Morgan,

I gave up on it actually. I found that all the crashing hosed up my NVIDIA driver so I uninstalled it (using DDU software) and reinstalled it. Set MSI Afterburner to stock when I play Pcars and haven't experimented much with it. The times I've played with it it hasn't crashed ( I played about 2 hrs. MP with about 5-7 drivers and no issues using trackIR); however, I still have "share memory" under hardware settings off. I don't think I need to OC the card unless it's a 35 grid car and in the heavy rain, I was just using it as worse case scenario since I noticed that is where most of the HP is needed from the video card. Anyway, I set game w/ Vsync on so it caps the framerate, but also to get rid of tearing.

Thats good to hear you got it going :)

Honestly, Shared memory "should" not cause an issue as lots of people run it for Dashboard apps, simvibe, fanaleds etc. I'd say it was down to the OC on the GPU. Now you know the OC is unstable in PCARS, you can do things to rectify that if you want a bit of a performance boost, to run with more cars or better in the wet, etc.

You would need to do testing and ramp it back up slowly, but as an example, my Gigabyte 780tiOC needs +20mv (voltage) and then it is rock solid at the Factory OC. Without that it crashes the driver a lot in PCARS, and other games, but some games were 100% fine.

But each card is different, so I wouldn't take that setting as Gospel, but if it runs fine on Stock clocks for you, and not on your old OC, you may be able to tweak your OC and use Project CARS as the "Stress Test" and you may find better stability in other games too.

That's what i did and I have not had a nvidia driver crash in a long time.

But as long as you can Race now without crashing, that's the main thing for now. See you on the Track :)

Jake Hawke
25-05-2015, 20:53
Hello,

My screen was going visually black after usually 5-10min in-game with apparent noise & input still active in the background. This was during Free Practice, Solo Races, & possibly Career mode. I haven't played multi-player, because I didn't want to go black during a race and screw up someone else's car. I seem to have managed to get it to stop blacking out.

I tried turning off the Steam-overlay; still blacked.
Turned Steam back on, and shadows to off; still blacked.
Turned both Steam-overlay & shadows to off... seems to have worked. I don't think that I've had a black-out since.

Thanks for a fine game,
Jake

Sunnyb
25-05-2015, 21:19
Using PS4, I'm getting the same problem involving the game locking/freezing but the background sounds of the race continues. Have to close the application and restart the game. HELP!!

Jake Hawke
26-05-2015, 00:01
From my previous post:

"I tried turning off the Steam-overlay; still blacked.
Turned both Steam-overlay & shadows to off... seems to have worked. I don't think that I've had a black-out since."

Just had another visual black-out during a career race. Same conditions as above; had Steam-overlay & shadows both turned off.

Any other suggestions? :/

Jake

BullWinkle
26-05-2015, 01:47
From my previous post:

"I tried turning off the Steam-overlay; still blacked.
Turned both Steam-overlay & shadows to off... seems to have worked. I don't think that I've had a black-out since."

Just had another visual black-out during a career race. Same conditions as above; had Steam-overlay & shadows both turned off.

Any other suggestions? :/

Jake

Can you post your system specs Jake. ie; OS, CPU, GPU, MEMORY installed, Wheel/contoller. etc.,will help those trying to help.

Jake Hawke
26-05-2015, 04:02
Hello,

Windows 7, Nvidia card (maybe 2), Xbox-controller.

It seems that several people with widely varying computer-parts have been having the same problem, though. :/

Thanks,
Jake

rbl
26-05-2015, 06:43
Did you check the inside of your computer (mainly the CPU and GPU coolers) for dust? If it's blacking out after working normally for some time it might be overheating.

Jake Hawke
26-05-2015, 19:48
Thanks for the thought, but that seems extremely unlikely.

1) Project Cars is the only game that I've ever seen this happen in. I play a lot of games, many of which are much more computer-taxing than this.

2) This seems to be happening to a fair number of people, and I have a hard time believing that dust would be a common factor amongst them.

3) I've noticed no extra heating during PCars; in fact, it runs much smoother than many of the games I play when it's working. The FPS & gameplay are actually quite nice... it just goes black from time to time. :/

Thanks,
Jake