PDA

View Full Version : Can only play via STEAM then?

grumps68
08-05-2015, 14:18
Hi

Forgive what appears a daft question.

Even though I have purchased physical discs today, seems that the only way to play is via STEAM.

Am I correct, or did I miss something when I put disc 1 into my PC, it took me directly to STEAM.

Many thanks in anticipation

Graham

Mad Al
08-05-2015, 14:26
Not daft at all..

Read the minimum specs on the box your disc came in, you will note it says Steam account is a requirement.

Once it's all installed and running you can of course run with steam offline

grumps68
08-05-2015, 14:44
Many thanks for such a swift reply, I appreciate that.

I was fully expecting to be able to install from discs and run directly from hard drive, with the STEAM connection purely for activation purposes.
Seems I was way off with that thought.
So I will need to log in to STEAM to start with to get the programme running then.

m00ndancer
08-05-2015, 17:02
You should be able to use it without the discs, it's the keycode that's important.

grumps68
09-05-2015, 11:00
You should be able to use it without the discs, it's the keycode that's important.

Thanks for reply but I think I need to be more specific with question........

The PC on gaming rig is far too valuable to risk connecting to internet on a regular basis, true it was connected to update Windows and to check for driver updates when built earlier this year, but I don't want to have to connect to STEAM every time I want to play Project Cars.

I purchased physical discs expecting to be able to setup onto hard drive from them and play from hard drive installation, only connecting to STEAM for ONE TIME activation.

So the question is....

Without any connection to any outside source, ie STEAM, how do I start and play Project Cars?

Your thoughts & suggestions will be most welcome.

Many Thanks

Graham

rbl
09-05-2015, 11:14
When there is no connection to the computer (I think LAN cable must be unplugged), STEAM lets you start in offline mode. If it doesn't work you might need to logon to Steam the first time when it's online and then switch it to offline mode manually.

RacingTopsy
09-05-2015, 11:20
Thanks for reply but I think I need to be more specific with question........

The PC on gaming rig is far too valuable to risk connecting to internet on a regular basis, true it was connected to update Windows and to check for driver updates when built earlier this year, but I don't want to have to connect to STEAM every time I want to play Project Cars.

I purchased physical discs expecting to be able to setup onto hard drive from them and play from hard drive installation, only connecting to STEAM for ONE TIME activation.

So the question is....

Without any connection to any outside source, ie STEAM, how do I start and play Project Cars?

Your thoughts & suggestions will be most welcome.

Many Thanks

Graham

In that case you need to start steam in offline mode. You will however need to connect again every other week to keep it working (steam that is). I'd connect from time to time anyways to let patches download!