PDA

View Full Version : Initial thoughts

MRM3RL1N
08-05-2015, 14:29
So after months of waiting i have finally got my hands on a copy of Project cars!

I started up the game and selected "pro" configuration (by no means am i a pro) and delved straight into a career with the go karts. My first impression is that well, i am utterly hopeless at driving these things, it seems the slower you go the slower it turns! and even the slightest mistake and i am catapulted into a wall of death! obviously i need to really get to grips with these little machines. The only issue with them that i have found (and i am not sure if it is a bug or something i am doing) is that when i turn into a bend then give full lock in the opposing direction my steering locks to the left, and releases after about 10 seconds of cursing and panicking!!

Anyways, i decided to leave the karts for the mean time and settle on some more familiar territory, i went and started a new career with the renault clio cup car, and immediately noticed that cold tyres really don't grip all too well, which i think is a perfect touch. so that out of the way let's speak about handling, the car feels perfect, as perfect as you can get from a racing sim in my opinion, although seeing as i refuse to race with aids, playing with the xbox controller is by far the hardest thing i have experienced in a game, as it is so twitchy it keeps making me lose control, now to counter this i have to drive much less aggresively, which is fustrating seeing as i know with the right setup i can handle this car with little to no fuss.

The only REAL issue would be the frame drops that seem to be random, they happen quite frequently and generally at the most inconvenient time! (i'm guessing the Dev team are working on this).

So, tomorrow i shall be getting a cheap wheel (thrustmaster 458 spyder one) and hope that irons out the little issues i have encountered so far.

Other than that what a game! the visuals.... the sounds.... the weather.... just WOW!!

Hope everybody is getting similar thrills as me because this game just blew forza out of the water!

Blackvault
08-05-2015, 14:29
Great to hear positive thoughts! :)

MRM3RL1N
08-05-2015, 14:36
Yes, Like i said one hell of a game everyone has put together here, i don't suppose anybody has any pointers as to seting up the controller so that when i drive the clio the turning isn't so twitchy (seeing as it's a small movement range on the stick) and brutal? Because changing gears and concentrating on getting a good line is challenging and given the superbly realistic handling my car is telling me to go do one as it would in the real deal if i was knee jerking the steering about!

Blackvault
08-05-2015, 14:38
Yes, Like i said one hell of a game everyone has put together here, i don't suppose anybody has any pointers as to seting up the controller so that when i drive the clio the turning isn't so twitchy (seeing as it's a small movement range on the stick) and brutal? Because changing gears and concentrating on getting a good line is challenging and given the superbly realistic handling my car is telling me to go do one as it would in the real deal if i was knee jerking the steering about!

I'm not much of a console player, but I think the sensitivity of the control can be turned down. I believe there are 3 presets for the control so you may fine they also relate to the sensitivity as well.

I hope this helps, but unfortunately I'm a PC player so not 100% sure on the game pad settings.

Pete

MRM3RL1N
08-05-2015, 14:41
Hey Pete, brilliant, will give that a bash in a second and if that works/doesn't work i shall post an update. and unfortunately relegated to the console due to lack of funds, eventually i may nab a pc with with the logitech g27 setup. One can only dream! lol

Blackvault
08-05-2015, 14:46
Hey Pete, brilliant, will give that a bash in a second and if that works/doesn't work i shall post an update. and unfortunately relegated to the console due to lack of funds, eventually i may nab a pc with with the logitech g27 setup. One can only dream! lol

While everyone has different budgets the G series from Logitech is a great wheel to start with. Many of the fast guys even use them, you don't have to spend /$000s to become fast.

Let me know how it goes. I'll check the game settings tonight if you need a bit more help.

Edit - Check out this thread (http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?21992-Setting-up-a-gamepad)

Pete

MRM3RL1N
08-05-2015, 15:09
Brilliant thread you linked! i found it works 90% well on the 3rd setting with the steering deadzone at 25 (thus removing any controller defects) and by upping the sensitivity i am getting a better range of motion with the clio cup car.

And on to the steering lock problem, although it appears to be a game bug and a right pain in the arse i have found that a quick burst on the brakes and giving the steering thumbstick a quick wiggle can immediately release the lock, now i know it isn't a solution but for those reading it makes the difference between locking into a wall or just going a little bit off course.

hope that helps anybody having issues

Xdelboyx
08-05-2015, 18:12
Ffb not very strong

MRM3RL1N
08-05-2015, 22:03
Sure there are some bugs that haven't been sorted out, but by and large it's one hell of an ambitious game, and if anyone reading this forum is a battlefield/call of duty/ gta player then they would know that those games were released with some serious issues. The only major issue i can see at the moment is the steering lock, which i am sure the dev's are working hard on ironing out. let's face the facts, the only other developers i know that have put so much effort into perfecting their product would be the makers of gran turismo and rockstar's grand theft auto, this game is a monumental leap in racing simulation and with a project this large there are bound to be some issues.

From what i have seen so far this community seems to be a very good one, so c'mon people, let's give them feedback with some constructive criticism instead of lashing out like toddlers who have thrown their toys out of the pram! That way we could all work as a team and help them make this the most remarkable sim to date

Fluffy Bunny Feet
09-05-2015, 02:13
I know there are plenty of bugs on this game, hopefully sorted soon. But I was racing with plenty of people this evening and we're all enjoying the game. We understand it's buggy, should have been sorted before release but it's fun and hard.

Beck21941
09-05-2015, 02:42
Quite simply a brilliant game. Granted there are little bugs but aren't there always on new releases? I'm happy as larry now and the fact it's going to get even better gets the juices flowing.

Love the fact online has a qualifying option.

Love the random weather. Small touches like turning your own wipers on. Sounds daft but makes all the difference to me.

Keep up the good work guys.

Pedro funk
09-05-2015, 04:12
The game looks incredible! My problem is the amount of settings.
I personally feel lost with the amount of things I can change on the car. I just started a touring car championship and I can't even keep a Renault cleo on the track (even on a straight) I'm sure this is down to how the car is set up but I've got no idea how to make it more drivable.

My rear brakes lock up every time I turn, brake or even accelerating...it's very frustrating so much so I'll give it a few days and put some hours in trying to learn about set ups if I can't find a sweet spot the game goes back!,

MRM3RL1N
09-05-2015, 23:56
Just a quick update; i found that turning the steering sensitivity down to around 30 and the deadzone to 26 has removed all the twitchy-ness for the time being, if anyone is having similar issues i would advise doing the same thing, makes straight lines a lot easier