PDA

View Full Version : WARNING: Backup your Profiles immediately!

MaXKiLLz
08-05-2015, 15:27
I just lost my entire profile when attempting to watch one of my replays from the "Driver Network Profile Highlights". The game crashed when loading the replay with the "Unhandled exception trapped" error many of us are getting. When I restarted the game, my profile was gone. Do not, under any circumstances, watch a replay without first backing up your profile. Mine was located here: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\16232743\234630\local\project cars\profiles\default.sav

Until they fix this bug riddled game, please back up your default.sav file as often as possible.

Sankyo
08-05-2015, 15:31
I just lost my entire profile when attempting to watch one of my replays from the "Driver Network Profile Highlights". The game crashed when loading the replay with the "Unhandled exception trapped" error many of us are getting. When I restarted the game, my profile was gone. Do not, under any circumstances, watch a replay without first backing up your profile. Mine was located here: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\16232743\234630\local\project cars\profiles\default.sav

Until they fix this bug riddled game, please back up your default.sav file as often as possible.
Thanks for reporting this, never seen this one before. Could you zip and attach the folder belonging to the crash from My Documents/Project CARS/dbgSession?

MaXKiLLz
08-05-2015, 17:03
Debug report attached... Hope they can get this 'game breaking' bug fixed.

MBK72
10-05-2015, 11:47
I've had the same issue, here is the file:

Probably the wrong file but can't seem to upload the zipped file??

GT500
10-05-2015, 12:20
right click the folder send to-compressed.zip file. Upload that via the go advanced button when you post a bug/crash/error
Like MaXKiLLz has done above your post

MBK72
10-05-2015, 12:46
Thank you, here you go:

grester
11-05-2015, 09:30
This should be pinned for easier access.

MaXKiLLz
11-05-2015, 12:13
This definitely needs to be pinned. They probably won't though because doing so would mean they acknowledge this as yet another bug.

GT500
11-05-2015, 12:30
This really hasnt been an issue for the WMD community. Iam sure it will be eliminated and as the thread title states back your profile up before launching the game. I imagine it takes 30 seconds to do.
I f i had a career in progress i would certainly back my profile up.

ProRacerMike
11-05-2015, 12:56
Everytime I try to play a Replay I get the Access Violation Box pop up and the game crashes.
This needs to be sorted out immediately.
For a brand new long awaited game this should not be happening.

JamoZ
11-05-2015, 13:14
Count me in aswell :(

ProRacerMike
11-05-2015, 17:08
Everytime I try to play a replay Project Cars Crashes back to the Desktop with an Access Violation Error.
I have tried everything to get the game to run properly but it just will not.
I am now sick and tired of this and Feel that Steam and Project Cars should let everyone who is having the same problem
know what they are doing about it.
Otherwise I want a full refund for the game I purchased via Steam.
Its not good enough.

Siberian Tiger
11-05-2015, 17:11
Well, i can watch Replays on PC without a Problem so it must be something specific...

Please attach the Content from the following Folder:

"X":\Users\"YourUser"\Documents\Project CARS\dbgSession -> Search the File which has the Time Stamp on when +- this Unhandled Exception happend...

Then the Devs can investigate this Issue...

Elmo
11-05-2015, 17:12
We are working on a fix.

Move this thread to the other reports.

ProRacerMike
11-05-2015, 17:22
Working on a Fix and getting it Fixed are 2 different things.
This game is useless at the moment.
I have sent a zip file of my folder already in a previous post.

I am now at the point of de-installing Project Cars and Re-doing my hard Drive then re-installing everything
But to be honest why the heck should I. This is either Steam or Project Cars fault.

mrskeav
11-05-2015, 19:31
ive just had a similar thing happen had a few races with the rift on and saved the replays, quit the game turned off the rift reloaded the game in desktop mode went to watch one of the replays and it crashed with this error

mrskeav
11-05-2015, 19:32
thats my dbg zip

hawkenfox
11-05-2015, 19:41
Thanks for the headsup ... it's cheesy to think about the amount of time they have extended before releasing the bugs

anyways.

MrPix
11-05-2015, 19:48
Same for me. Try to view a replay, the loading graphic displays and then the unhandled exception rule appears

and the profile (default.sav) is overwritten/wiped.

I have no Overlays.
same results windowed and full screen.
same results overclocked and stock clocks
same results CPU/GPU forced full power or power saving (C states etc)

worked a few weeks back!

Roger Prynne
11-05-2015, 19:58
Never seen this before and it works fine for me... I wonder what you guys have in common?

ProRacerMike
11-05-2015, 20:07
@Roger Prynne

It's probably because your not running your game on Steam.
It seems like this error started to occur after the patch was installed automatically by Steam.
It now looks like I am not the only one who gets this error when trying to play a saved replay.

But at the moment I have been lucky it hasn't wiped my Profile.

mrskeav
11-05-2015, 20:08
well the only thing i can think of from my end is when the game loads it detects and goes straight to the rift, now when i restart the game with the rift powered off my screen resolution is 4096 x 2160 but the game loads all the menus ok its just when it tries to render the in game graphics it seems to crash

jakubkarlicek
11-05-2015, 20:35
Hi, I have the same problem now. When I want see my replays . .game crash . .and my profile is dead . . :-( it possible reload my profile back..? I dont have a backup of course..

minisale
11-05-2015, 20:54
This only happens to me if "shared memory" under gfx-options is active.

MrPix
11-05-2015, 21:14
This only happens to me if "shared memory" under gfx-options is active.@Elmo @Roger Prynne - tell the devs!

This is it! I set the Shared Memory to No and Bingo... I can view replays again... no profile deletion either. Set it back to yes... Unhandled Exception and default.sav is wiped!

Well done @minisale you have found a root cause!;)

Roger Prynne
11-05-2015, 21:27
@Roger Prynne

It's probably because your not running your game on Steam.
It seems like this error started to occur after the patch was installed automatically by Steam.
It now looks like I am not the only one who gets this error when trying to play a saved replay.

But at the moment I have been lucky it hasn't wiped my Profile.
Of course I am.

jakubkarlicek
11-05-2015, 21:27
okay . .i will try it . .lets goo...-)

Roger Prynne
11-05-2015, 21:28
Well done guys... the devs will try and get that one ironed out ASAP.

MrPix
11-05-2015, 21:33
Well done guys... the devs will try and get that one ironed out ASAP.Roger... as you 'don't have the problem' can you try to enable Shared Memory and see if you get the problem? Would be great to know....

Roger Prynne
11-05-2015, 21:35
Roger... as you 'don't have the problem' can you try to enable Shared Memory and see if you get the problem? Would be great to know....

Will do in a mo.

jakubkarlicek
11-05-2015, 21:35
So my save is allready f..g dead . .I maybe resaved "nothing "to my old save . .I dont know . .

Roger Prynne
11-05-2015, 22:01
Yep using shared memory crashes for me as well... so good find guys.
Now I've lost all my settings!!!!

GT500
11-05-2015, 22:03
Good result all round sounds like you've nailed it!
:boxing:

MrPix
11-05-2015, 22:08
Yep using shared memory crashes for me as well... so good find guys.
Now I've lost all my settings!!!!<cough> and don't forget to read the topic title and follow the advice first ;) </cough>

Thanks for the sacrifice!

Roger Prynne
11-05-2015, 22:11
Yeah that was pretty stupid of me :mad:

ProRacerMike
11-05-2015, 23:43
Yep ! turning off shred memory allows you to play your replays again. Although I have only tested it once.
Will do some more testing tomorrow.
Cheers Guys and well done......

MJRL
12-05-2015, 00:05
Hi have shared memory turned on, and don't have problems with the replays...

mrskeav
12-05-2015, 02:19
definitely worked for me nice find and thankyou for the info no more lost save files :D

minisale
12-05-2015, 17:20
Well done @minisale you have found a root cause!;)

I 'm glad I could help. ;)

UNDER8ED
13-05-2015, 03:33
I had the same issue as OP. Career got wiped after 30++ hours of incredibly fun career play. After that I started a new career. Now I have the bellow message crash the game while I am racing. Prior to this I had ZERO problems. What's causing this; is there any fix???

Bad_Dan
14-05-2015, 19:20
Very disappointing bug. Using shared memory since many months (if not years) without such drastic problems. Crashing once in a while, okay, but never got my profile deleted. And now all progress lost AND I canīt use my tablets for telemetry. :(

Hope this gets fixed soon.

MrPix
14-05-2015, 19:23
You can still use it... just turn it off before watching a replay :) and back on afterwards...

zakaweb
15-05-2015, 05:36
This just happened to me when viewing a replay and I don't have shared memory on. Is my profile lost forever or is there some way to recover it.

MBK72
15-05-2015, 07:17
Zakaweb, sorry to hear you've had the bug too, no way to recover as far as I know.

Thanks for the shared memory fix, I'll give that a go. I have been holding off starting another PC career until there was a fix. Hope a permanent solution is found I like having the pCARS Dash app running.

Bad_Dan
15-05-2015, 11:12
You can still use it... just turn it off before watching a replay :) and back on afterwards...

That would work. But I know myself, sooner or later I will forget to turn it off, and send my profile off into nirvana.

majnu
15-05-2015, 11:20
does this wipe your wheel settings and configurations? I think that is what must have happened to me. I tried vrHive, enabled shared memory and after I finished I turned off shared memory again and when I loaded the game back again my t500rs settings were all set back to default.

PostBox981
16-05-2015, 17:40
I was caught as well today. It took me two hours to find back to my graphics and force Feedback Settings. All my Progress: gone! Career: gone! So I began again from a blank page today... :-(

Now I made a backup via steam - but this is no good solution as steam backs up the whole 17 Gigs on my hard disk, takes some minutes. Well, wish I did that before but donīt want to do that every time before I watch a replay!

Does anyone know exactly which files to backup to save all efforts and settings so the game could be fixed within some minutes? Directories and files? Steam is so confusing...

Cheers
Frank

MrPix
16-05-2015, 17:51
Exactly the same thing happened to me today. It took me two hours to find back to my graphics and force Feedback Settings. All my Progress: gone! Career: gone! So I began again from a blank page today... :-(

Now I backed up the game via steam - but this is no good solution as steam backs up the whole 17 Gigs, takes some minutes. Well, wish I did that before but donīt want to do that every time before I watch a replay!

Does anyone know exactly what to backup to save all efforts and settings so the game could be fixed within some minutes? Directories and files? Steam is so confusing...

Cheers
FrankAll you need to do is back up your default.sav file

It's in the Steam folder where ever you put it... e.g. C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\16232743\234630\local\project cars\profiles\default.sav

The number in red will be different for you so find the one with the 234630 folder in and follow the path.

smokeintheeye
17-05-2015, 17:31
well there gos 12Hrs plus.

MaXKiLLz
17-05-2015, 17:35
Why are people still losing their profiles if they were made aware of this days ago? Once again, backup your profiles often. Daily to be real safe. I simply placed a shortcut on my desktop to the folder that contains my default.sav file.

Bruno Alexandre
18-05-2015, 09:24
Hey everyone we need some information if you guys could help, we need to know which Antivirus/Firewall, Anti-Malware or other you might have running on your PC's, also for what are you using the shared memory for and the name of that app.
Since this is only affecting some users and we cannot repro the issue, we suspect this might be caused by an app that could be misreading the information sent through the shared memory.

Appreciate the help!

smokeintheeye
18-05-2015, 10:14
running winodws 10 pro 10074
R9-290
I7 3930k at 4.8ghz
16gb ram at 2400
rampage 4 ex

windows defender. ( only anti virus and firewall on the pc )

Msi after Burner. ( seems to make the game go funny if onscreen display is on (game loads but then gos back to desktop )

Logiteck gaming software. (bit hit or miss with this one )

shared memory. ( i think was on at the time. but i was NOT using any apps at the time.(HUD Dash)

hope this helps.

Bruno Alexandre
18-05-2015, 10:24
running winodws 10 pro 10074
R9-290
I7 3930k at 4.8ghz
16gb ram at 2400
rampage 4 ex

windows defender. ( only anti virus and firewall on the pc )

Msi after Burner. ( seems to make the game go funny if onscreen display is on (game loads but then gos back to desktop )

Logiteck gaming software. (bit hit or miss with this one )

shared memory. ( i think was on at the time. but i was NOT using any apps at the time.(HUD Dash)

hope this helps.

Thanks for the info, just a quick question. You say you weren't using any app at that moment, but could it have been running on the background ?

smokeintheeye
18-05-2015, 10:39
no i had the app on my phone. but i had taking the app off about two days before hand. even uninstalled the software on the pc that linked it to my phone. when it lost all my saves i had just bean in a online game with two of my mates. i save a replay then had to go out. so i shut the pc down. when i got back in i loaded the game up click to play the replay. as soon as i click the game crashed with this error203274 .
after opening the game again it was like the very 1st time it had been run. all setting lost and my save. The mad thing is that all the replays from before the crash are still there and can be played.

Roger Prynne
18-05-2015, 10:54
Bruno... some peeps even have the problem without shared memory on.... or so they report anyway.

Bruno Alexandre
18-05-2015, 11:17
Bruno... some peeps even have the problem without shared memory on.... or so they report anyway.

Yeah i've noticed the reports, but once i checked their logs it points out to the shared memory or something around it.

Warhead
18-05-2015, 12:48
the crash bug on replay-view could be confirmed from my side, too. tried it only once and the game was frozen completely but it looks like i had a bit of luck because nothing happened to my profile

PowderGuy
18-05-2015, 14:52

This bug since 1.3 patch online, to avoid it, we must a single race in career mode (must) and system did a game save.

Sounds like save data management module have bug on early stage.

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?21981-Unhandled-Exception-Trapped-Unable-to-Play&p=921223&viewfull=1#post921223

MisterO
18-05-2015, 16:22
Yeah i've noticed the reports, but once i checked their logs it points out to the shared memory or something around it.

Just ran into the same CTD-issue when I was trying to load a replay.
Tested the follwowing combinations then:
AV Scan On, Shared memory on -> CTD
AV Scan On, shared memory off -> no CTD
AV Scan Off, Shared memory off -> no CTD
AV Scan Off, Shared memory on -> CTD

AV is Avast Free Antivirus, but the problem at least for me seems to be with the shared memory. Unfortunately, I can't remember when I last tried to load a replay, pre- or post-release. Debug Log for the crash is attached.

Bad_Dan
18-05-2015, 16:35
Why are people still losing their profiles if they were made aware of this days ago? Once again, backup your profiles often. Daily to be real safe. I simply placed a shortcut on my desktop to the folder that contains my default.sav file.

Usually you first search for such a topic, if you already have a problem. Or do you search every topic in every forum for every game you buy, before you play it? I donīt think so. ;)

MrPix
18-05-2015, 17:00
@Bruno, I'll do some testing but when I watch replays, I don't have any apps that intercept the telemetry open. I do have Aida64 open for monitoring and also Fraps... I'll try and close these and make sure nothing else is running ... turn on Shared memory and load/view a replay shortly. I only have Windows defender in the background and the drivers for my input devices present so should be quite a clean dbg file if it CTD's.

EDIT: Yup... nowt happening in the background... CTD with Shared memory = on, view replay... loading ... boom!

MBK72
18-05-2015, 17:13
Hey everyone we need some information if you guys could help, we need to know which Antivirus/Firewall, Anti-Malware or other you might have running on your PC's, also for what are you using the shared memory for and the name of that app.
Since this is only affecting some users and we cannot repro the issue, we suspect this might be caused by an app that could be misreading the information sent through the shared memory.

Appreciate the help!

Only firewall is Windows Defender.

I am using the PCARS Dash app on Apple iPad/Phone. Neither this app nor the pCARS transmitter on the Windows desktop were not running when the profile wipe happened. Shared memory was on when the profile wiped (twice, I tried this again to be sure).

With shared memory off I am able to watch replays with no issues. Also the pCARS dash app works perfectly both in single and multiplayer. As far as I can tell it is having shared memory selected that causes the issue/conflict.

Main system info:

Processor: Intel Core i7 4770K | Videocard: GTX Titan 6GB | 16GB RAM | Windows 8.1 Pro

If you need to know more detail let me know and I will try to find it!

Bad_Dan
18-05-2015, 17:31

Appreciate the help!

Using MS Security Essentials

Apps are HUD Dash and the Telemetry Reader for it is in Autorunmode, so itīs up with Windows.
And pCars Dash from Time to time. The Reader for it is started manually, if I wish to use the app. Wasnīt on when the fatal crash occured.

Crashes only occur, when Shared Memory is enabled. No matter if the Telemetry Reader is runnig or not.

[edit]And using Fanaleds to have Shiftlights on my SRW-S1

Bruno Alexandre
19-05-2015, 09:38
Ok thanks for the info guys.

Need you to attempt the following if possible:
1- Attempt to add administration rights to those apps that use shared memory, go to their properties and enable Run as Administrator.
If the above doesn't work try to:
2- Run pCARS as administrator
3- Try to force close on some of the apps, run them one by one and see if they work fine by themselves.

rbl
19-05-2015, 10:36
Regardless if this bug gets fixed, it would be nice if the game kept a previous save as a backup and when loading compare the two first. If the backup save has some career and the real save doesn't -> load the backup (or insert a more reliable check). This would then prevent any corruptions due to system crashes during saves, etc. :)

Bruno Alexandre
19-05-2015, 10:42
It's a suggestion i'll pass along rbl, thanks.

Bad_Dan
19-05-2015, 17:56
Also with Adminrights (game and apps) instant crashing, when I select a replay with activated Shared Memory.

[edit]Also instantly crashing when no apps and readers are active at all. Only Shared Memory activated is enough to crash the replay.

Bruno Alexandre
19-05-2015, 19:12
Thanks for the info.

Bad_Dan
20-05-2015, 10:01
By the way, donīt you guys think, this topic should be pinned?

Bruno Alexandre
21-05-2015, 10:56
I have it subscribed so it will be always visible, it's important yes but we are aware of it. :)

MrPix
21-05-2015, 11:03

1- Attempt to add administration rights to those apps that use shared memory, go to their properties and enable Run as Administrator.
3- Try to force close on some of the apps, run them one by one and see if they work fine by themselves.
Hi Bruno, I have no telemetry apps open or running in the background and it still crashes/overwrites the default.sav when viewing a replay with shared memory on

Bruno Alexandre
21-05-2015, 11:21
Yeah we found the origin of the little bugger, a fix is underway and once confirmed that it is working properly we will release a fix.

Appreciate everyones help. :)

MrPix
21-05-2015, 11:23
phew... I just tested a theory and was about to report my findings... it only happens if you have an existing profile... with a new default.sav it doesn't.

Bad_Dan
21-05-2015, 14:20
I have it subscribed so it will be always visible, it's important yes but we are aware of it. :)

I didnīt mean it for remembering the devs, just for the users who didnīt see it til itīs too late.

But if the fix will work, hopefully no one would need this in the future. :)

MaXKiLLz
21-05-2015, 15:20
This thread should have been made sticky from the day I started it. You have to wonder why they chose not to do so.

TrevorAustin
21-05-2015, 20:23
This is absolutely killing me. Easy to reproduce now, shared memory on, use profiler, run a race in dk2. Turn it off, exit and restart to watch replay and crash wiwiping erything 9/10 times.

I know i can work round it and it will be fixed, but just moaning:) trying to see how to backup now.

Bruno Alexandre
22-05-2015, 09:47
We have a potential fix already done, only needs testing to ensure it won't cause any side-effects. Next patch will be pretty good guys :)

MrPix
22-05-2015, 09:54
We have a potential fix already done, only needs testing to ensure it won't cause any side-effects. Next patch will be pretty good guys :)You know where I am over at WMD if you need a guinea pig.

Jiltjes
25-05-2015, 11:52

Okay tried this. Ran PCARS as admin, but replay still crashed.

SwaggerJacker
25-05-2015, 17:22
Never seen this before and it works fine for me... I wonder what you guys have in common?

They all purchased the game? I have this problem as well.

PostBox981
25-05-2015, 17:26
@MrPix: Thank you for giving me path and name of default.sav (on page 5 of this thread - sorry, I donīt check this thread every day). I think I will write a short cmd-file to easily copy that file regularly to another destination after playing.

Can anybody tell me please, what is included in that file? Since this bug hit me for the first time I am saving wohle pCars folder via Steam after having played in career. Thatīs 17 Gigs each time and takes me a quarter of an hour every time. Not funny. If the defoult.sav contains my complete profile including any efforts I ever reached it would be probably enough to save this file only. Could save plenty of time (and space). Thank you.

Roger Prynne
25-05-2015, 17:41
If the defoult.sav contains my complete profile including any efforts I ever reached it would be probably enough to save this file only.

Yep just backup that file only... contains everything you need.

SwaggerJacker
25-05-2015, 17:45
What was the problem? What caused the crashes while using shared memory? ETA on the patch? It shouldn't be included with a major patch. Perhaps make it a hot fix? To wait to include it with a major patch means 1 of 2 things; a major patch is nearing release, or you guys are still clueless as to hot to fix it. Not sure if I want to re-install the game. Paid 50 bones only to have to save a file prior to playing. Madness? Not really.

Madness is not making this a Sticky, so that others may be warned/made aware of the impending doom of their profile. There is no telling how many profiles might have been saved. This was nothing more than damage control for SMS, not the end user.

Charger
26-05-2015, 17:01
Using MS Security Essentials

Apps are HUD Dash and the Telemetry Reader for it is in Autorunmode, so itīs up with Windows.
And pCars Dash from Time to time. The Reader for it is started manually, if I wish to use the app. Wasnīt on when the fatal crash occured.

Crashes only occur, when Shared Memory is enabled. No matter if the Telemetry Reader is runnig or not.

[edit]And using Fanaleds to have Shiftlights on my SRW-S1

Don't know if this helps but I have been having all sorts of CTD, unhandled exceptions and fatal errors, tried reinstalling the game on 3 different HD's, switched from Win 7 to 10 (back to 7), took off CPU overclock and put RAM to 1600 (2400 standard), but last night I checked my PC with a program I use which helps wittle down errors called Latencymon, it will show if anything is hitching in the background and I found that the process Msmpeng.exe was causing random spikes, this is part of MSE so I disabled real time protection and deleted my driver profile and started from scratch, played 3-4 hours without a problem.

I think deleting the driver profile did the trick but it's worth checking your system with Latencymon.

Roger Prynne
26-05-2015, 17:05
so I disabled real time protection and deleted my driver profile and started from scratch
Should of done that first..... would of saved you a HELL a lot of work/time :rolleyes:

Roger Prynne
26-05-2015, 17:07

Charger
26-05-2015, 17:18
Should off done that first..... would of saved you a HELL a lot of work/time :rolleyes:

Lol, well to be fair I had the real time protection already disabled as I saw it was causing spikes just thought I would throw it in for the guy with MSE, also Latencymon shows all processes so it could highlight something else on other systems, it is for audio really but if the audio hitches it can cause crashes.

I actually think putting the memory on 1600 base clock with SPD on auto fixed it partly as when I installed Win 10 I had a BSOD which said 'memory management', also deleting the driver profile was a fluke as last night after putting Win 7 back on it BSOD again but I didn't get the info it went off too quick (I never get BSOD) but after a reboot I fired the game up and I knew something was amiss as the driving line was back, graphics were saved and wheel settings but it asked me to do all the stuff that I had to do when I first installed the game, weird but it's fixed, I couldn't race more than 2 races without a crash.

My stats are gone but I don't care as they looked so bad because I never seemed to finish a race lol, anyway maybe backing up the driver profile and then deleting it and setting the game up as a new install and then maybe putting the save file back in may fix some people's crashes?

It definitely seemed like something was wrong with the install even though I had done it 3 times, oh one other thing was the first 2 times I installed from disc but on the 3rd attempt I let Steam download it?

I have done so many things to fix the CTD that my brain was fried but the BSOD and driver profile reset seemed to be the final nail to fix it.

mister dog
26-05-2015, 17:18
Yep just backup that file only... contains everything you need.
Car setups too no? Not 100% sure here.

jakubkarlicek
27-05-2015, 20:35
I had crash game again and again . . Now i dont play career . . I using only dash meter pro for Pcars and AC . .turn like administrator . .and it wrong again.. I lost 3 career

Roger Prynne
28-05-2015, 11:36
Car setups too no? Not 100% sure here.

Yes them as well.

doneta
28-05-2015, 13:22
I would like to back up my replays too. Can you tell me where those are located?

Roger Prynne
28-05-2015, 13:55
^^^^^

\Steam\userdata\********\234630\local\project cars\media

'********' is your steam number.

Ripgroove
28-05-2015, 13:57
What about car tuning setups? Can these be manually backed up by way of files or do we have to take screen shots or log them manually? I'd hate to spend hours and hours tuning just to find it all gone one day? Also if we uninstall/reinstall the game do we loose car setups?

Roger Prynne
28-05-2015, 14:08
^^^^^

\Steam\userdata\********\234630\local\project cars\profiles\default.sav

This saves all your settings including car setups.

Just copy and paste the default.sav

Ripgroove
28-05-2015, 15:28
^^^^^

\Steam\userdata\********\234630\local\project cars\profiles\default.sav

This saves all your settings including car setups.

Just copy and paste the default.sav

Sweet!

321Respawn
31-05-2015, 04:35
This first happened for me when I hit the rewind button while watching a video .No apps were running but shared memory was on .
My profile was not affected but all videos were unwatchable causing a crash .Deleting all videos has resolved the problem .Shared memory is on and I can save and view videos .
But I will be backing up my profile from now on seeing as I didn't know about the profile being at risk .

321Respawn
01-06-2015, 16:41
Guys do not run any third party app while viewing replays .
This includes telemetry apps ,video recording software such as Fraps and Nvidia Shadowplay .
As soon as you view a highlight video with any of these running it causes the replay to become corrupt .

MrPix
01-06-2015, 17:01
This includes telemetry apps ,video recording software such as Fraps and Nvidia Shadowplay .
As soon as you view a highlight video with any of these running it causes the replay to become corrupt .This is not the case for most. I record Replays fine with FRAPS for instance, I just have to remember to turn the Shared Memory to off. As long as it is off, I can run whatever I like in the background and view previously recorded replays.

It's being worked on by SMS and hopefully will be in the next patch, so don't panic and hold on in there.

Roger Prynne
01-06-2015, 18:07
As soon as you view a highlight video with any of these running it causes the replay to become corrupt .
I have no probs running MSI Afterburner and Action together and never have done... so false information I'm afraid.

321Respawn
01-06-2015, 23:14
Ah damn I think you are right .I forgot I had shared memory on .Face palm .

Hondo
05-06-2015, 13:16
Hi Guys,

I am too having issues getting back to my career mode for some reason. I didnt have crash or anything and I get slightly different error message. See below.

and if i click in break, i get the following....

Is there anyway to fix it? I'm in 5th season and there is no way I can start my career from the beginning. Any help is greatly appreciate

Thanks.

Roger Prynne
05-06-2015, 14:11
Have you 'Verified the Game Cache' in steam?

Hondo
05-06-2015, 14:22
yes I have...Couple of times actually. First time i did it d/l couple of files and few times i have done it, it said everything is order.

Hondo
05-06-2015, 21:28
Hi Guys,

I am too having issues getting back to my career mode for some reason. I didnt have crash or anything and I get slightly different error message. See below.

and if i click in break, i get the following....

Is there anyway to fix it? I'm in 5th season and there is no way I can start my career from the beginning. Any help is greatly appreciate

Thanks.

Anyone know how to fix this issue???

jake92
11-06-2015, 15:10
Shit i just lost mine too.. thought this was fixed, and didn't do a backup.
BACKUP NOW PEOPLE!

MrPix
11-06-2015, 15:22
Shit i just lost mine too.. thought this was fixed, and didn't do a backup.
BACKUP NOW PEOPLE!it will be in the patch coming SMSoon... or so I'm led to believe ;)

Patch 1.4 notes:
* PC - Fixed an issue that would cause the game to crash while watching saved replays, when shared memory is enabled.

Ramjet
11-06-2015, 15:27
This is the first time I have ever lost a save and also had this unhandled exception error (multiple time tonite) coincidentally or Not, this has only happened since the newest DLC got updated for me today. But I wasn't watching a replay however I did save my first replay ever last nite. :culpability:

doneta
11-06-2015, 16:34
Any time I have a good finish I immediately back up my profile.

PostBox981
19-06-2015, 13:19
Has anybody tried in between whether this shared-memory-bug has now been fixed with version 1.4? Any experiences?

PostBox981
21-06-2015, 16:59
Thank you for all your answers on that question. ;-)

Tried it myself today. Result: replay starts but the game crashes after a few seconds. Different to what we had in the past my profile stays untouched this time. Tried it five times, always the same. I tried it with pCars profiler running on a second screen. So it has got improved with the 1.4 patch - but not completely fixed.

flyoffacliff
21-06-2015, 18:37
I just restored mine form a backup, and the game does not recognize it.

I reinstalled Steam due to an unrelated problem. I lots my game save, then I restored it from an older backup. Now when I start the game, it asks me to pick a difficulty level again! But the save is in: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\[STEAM_USER_ID]\234630\local\project cars\profiles\default.sav

What is going on? I put over 10 hours into this game!

HF Integrale
08-10-2015, 01:29
Today is October 7th 2015 - I just lost 120 hours in career mode. I WASN'T WATCHING ANY REPLAYS. The computer shut itself off and when I restarted the game EVERYTHING was gone. including FFB tweaks.

Silraed
08-10-2015, 06:04
~removed~

Woah there might want to edit that last bit out buddy.

If your computer itself crashed and shut itself down then it is unlikely that it was directly Project CARS fault the data was lost.

Bealdor
08-10-2015, 08:30
I removed the offensive part in your post HF. I know you're very frustrated about this and I can understand that but please refrain from posting such offensive remarks next time.

BladeRunner031
31-10-2015, 03:16
Hallo! So this week 2 times happen to me,for first i'm mad because cca 100h career gone.First time i mess with graph settings and second my rig just crash.I read that launch Steam with admin rights can help?Also why Steam dont store this to cloud?Tnx!Can you help me so this does not happend again

Cleb3r1nep
25-11-2015, 09:10
I lost save too ... and steam cloud active, i don't understand. +150h. help us! steam service don't respond any quest. :dejection:

Sankyo
25-11-2015, 09:31
I lost save too ... and steam cloud active, i don't understand. +150h. help us! steam service don't respond any quest. :dejection:
What happened that caused you to lose your profile?

peterCars
29-11-2015, 01:14
thanks for the reminder, PC, Acronis TrueImage incremented backup, memories of the good old days of windows needing to be reinstalled after blue screens of death. need a mod to stop me playing every 20 hours unless I back it up first.

Cleb3r1nep
29-11-2015, 11:43
What happened that caused you to lose your profile?

I formatted my pc and installed my steam application and installed the game, but when I start it there were no more all my progress had been cleared, checked the cloud steam and was on, but the cloud steam does not cover the save of the game?

Sankyo
29-11-2015, 12:38
I formatted my pc and installed my steam application and installed the game, but when I start it there were no more all my progress had been cleared, checked the cloud steam and was on, but the cloud steam does not cover the save of the game?

Indeed, your profile is saved locally on your harddisk. So if your formatted your PC, you deleted that as well.

janan 77
05-12-2015, 17:54
Has anyone found a way to get your career back yet , I lost a lot of hours game play .

DreamsKnight
05-12-2015, 19:47
Has anyone found a way to get your career back yet , I lost a lot of hours game play .

there are backup files inside the same folder of normal files. you must modify the extension to the right one.

Chuxsta
11-12-2015, 13:44
does this .sav file contain everything to do with settings and game data?

would i back this up and restore it if i was messing with the FFB settings and calibration but wanted to revert back to what i was using.

Roger Prynne
11-12-2015, 15:08
does this .sav file contain everything to do with settings and game data?

would i back this up and restore it if i was messing with the FFB settings and calibration but wanted to revert back to what i was using.

Yes everything.

linaaslt
16-12-2015, 19:25
Yes everything.

If you could show me where can I find that backup file that would be grate, as in my saves folder there is only one file default.sav and no other files??
why no other game has same issue? just plainly stupid to create game this way! like you can predict when game is going to crash.

Roger Prynne
16-12-2015, 21:03
Here you go....

Wherever Steam is installed\Steam\userdata\<your Steam ID>\234630\local\project cars\profiles\default.sav

linaaslt
18-12-2015, 20:28
Here you go....

but that's the most recent save, it's not a backup save is it?

Mad Al
19-12-2015, 10:55
but that's the most recent save, it's not a backup save is it?

Try sending a PM to the person who came up with the suggestion and ask what they were talking about... there is no backups made directly by the game or Steam, you have to rely on either a third party backup or on the shadow copies made by windows (either directly using the Previous versions in windows or a third party tool that allows you to see them like ShadowExplorer)..

If you really just want to back up your profile.. try adding downloading this (http://1drv.ms/1QwHg7B)

Add it to Steam as a non Steam game and then you can run it from Steam, it will make a date and time stamped backup and allow you to go directly to the folder that contains the backups (which happens to be the same folder as the profile, this was only designed to duplicate a good profile, not as a backup against HD failure!)
It finds all the required info on your Steam install location and first Steam user ID from the registry so should work 99% of the time straight off.
If you happen to have more than one Steam user profile and it picks the wrong one, just add your SteamID as a launch option -S "00000000" (where "00000000" is YOUR Steam ID)
You can also run it directly from the desktop via a shortcut.
Backup makes a new backup, Open opens the folder so you can see the files (and delete older ones if you want to), Close, closes the program. Note, pressing any button does whatever you ask it, then closes the program (it was designed to be as simple as possible) - and no it's not automatic so there is no point having it as a scheduled task as you have to press a button... (and yes I could do one that didn't need a button press, but I didn't).. and anyone who uses it, you take all responsibility for it's use.

ixiguis
22-01-2016, 00:04
Read this too late, lost my entire career progress =/

This should have at least Steam Cloud support!!!

Angry.

ixiguis
22-01-2016, 00:08
Wait, even my driver network profile is gone. I thought it was saved on a server??

Steve7151
27-01-2016, 15:12
I wish I would of knew this, I just lost my power and tried to get back in game and lost my profile, and had to make a new one. :/

FS7
11-09-2017, 23:49
I just had this stupid bug happen to me, I didn't know about it, never had save problems with any other games, after 77hrs of gameplay all career stuff gone.
I'll never play career again in this game.

Stache
08-10-2017, 15:05
yup,I tinkered around with the wheel and FFB settings to solve another bug (MOMO wheel ICM not working) , and theend result is; my career settings and ALL my car setups are gone!..........................,great just great :(

oh, but luckely my shitty multiplayer rank is saved :thank you slightly mad! (i'm seriously about to join in with you guys!)

Nicolasmal
06-11-2017, 00:28
Could you sticky or add this to the sticky as a link for those who want Co-op to work via Ports and not Hamachi?