PDA

View Full Version : [RESOLVED] Project Cars removes Windows wallpaper

Martos
08-05-2015, 16:16
Hi,

I am having a weird bug when i start Project Cars, in that it reverts my Windows Desktop wallpaper back to default (rather than a picture). Has anyone else experienced this? It's not a big deal, just wondering if anyone else had seen this?

Specs are: Windows 8.1, 4770k CPU, 8GB RAM, Crossfire AMD 7970s (15.4 Driver)

Blackvault
08-05-2015, 16:18
Is Windows putting itself in basic mode and removing your desktop image this way?

Pete

MadRuben
08-05-2015, 16:32
I`m also having this issue, seems its changing to basic mode, but the game runs fine.
I have Tune up utilities program and maybe this program is doing it.

Roger Lee
08-05-2015, 20:59
Windows usually does this when your running low on RAM, but 8GB should be more than enough.

inexus
11-05-2015, 09:45
Got the same issue.

It occur if I select a wallpaper by other means than going through "personalise" -> "desktop background" such as right clicking on a thumbnail in a folder and set it as my wallpaper. As soon as I launch pCars Windows revert back to the wallpaper set previously through the windows personalisation.

This particular issue is not related to a memory issue.

CPU: I7 5820K@4.5Ghz, MEM: 16Gb DDR4@2666. OS: Win8.1 64bit.

Valgua
14-05-2015, 14:44
I have the exact same issue. I doubt memory is a problem as I have 16 gb.

Ripgroove
14-05-2015, 15:48
I have noticed the same also. I also have plenty of RAM (16GB)

EternalYouth
18-05-2015, 00:48
Same issue, Windows theme changes on game launch to the Aero Theme "Windows 7" no matter how I set theme or background.. doesn't seem to affect game in any way.

Also, I have a dual monitor setup and sometimes pjc blacks out my 2nd monitor while sometimes it keeps it showing whatever was left on it. No real problem for me, just though you should know.

Ripgroove
18-05-2015, 06:07
This is actually really annoying as I have to reset my wallpaper every single time I play the game.

Erwan960
18-05-2015, 07:06
You just have to go to "personalise" -> "desktop background" and right click on the picture you want as wallpaper. Issue solved :)

blot
18-05-2015, 07:09
I posted this problem with mine about 2 months ago on the WMD forum, Never heard anything back but it was deffo happening to me pre- release, Back then wallpaper was going back to a windows default one, Since game release it now goes back to a previous personal wallpaper? Be interested to know whats causing this?

Ripgroove
18-05-2015, 07:10
You just have to go to "personalise" -> "desktop background" and right click on the picture you want as wallpaper. Issue solved :)

Well yes I know that but having to do it EVERY time I play PCars is just silly.

Alan Dallas
18-05-2015, 07:21
I save my Wallpapers in a Theme and they don't disappear.

Erwan960
18-05-2015, 09:18
Well yes I know that but having to do it EVERY time I play PCars is just silly.personalise / desktop background / check the picture you want to put as wallpaper / save and normally you won't have to do it again.

zuotoski
20-05-2015, 18:29
personalise / desktop background / check the picture you want to put as wallpaper / save and normally you won't have to do it again.

No, it doesn't fix anything, sorry. I guess that every wallpaper on Windows Vista, 7, 8 and 10 is set like this by default.

I guess that you didn't understand what's happening: the wallpaper changes automatically to something else (default, I guess) everytime that PCars.exe/PCars64.exe is started, when the game is closed, the wallpaper remains changed to the default (not the one that was chosen by the user previously) and the user is forced to choose his/her preferred wallpaper again.

This "problem" happens to me with NFS Shift 2, too. NFS Shit 2 and PCars are the only games that behave like this. It is not something that ruins anything, but I can confirm that it also happens with me.

Erwan960
21-05-2015, 03:56
I really understand the problem because I was also confronted to it a few months ago.

I used to choose a wallpaper by right click on the image and choose "use as wallpaper". And systematically after playing PCARS, I found a different wallpaper, in this case the yellow background of Windows 8.1.
But since I go through "personalise / desktop background / check the picture you want to put as wallpaper / save", the wallpaper does not change once the game session ended.

This solved my problem, perhaps it will be different for you !

Alan Dallas
21-05-2015, 04:40
Can confirm: Right clicking an image and choosing "Use as wallpaper" then running project cars removes that wallpaper on exit of the game. No idea why that would happen, and honestly don't care.
Re-applying my custom Theme in the "Personalize" window with multiple wallpapers is not affected.

iamthenight
21-05-2015, 06:37
sometimes it has memory leak, usually when i have like 10 tabs opened in firefox it gives me the low on ram, and when i check in task manager 5/8gb used. btw im not using pagefile so it may occur to u as well just u don't realize if he starts swaping pagefile.

zuotoski
21-05-2015, 16:13
I really understand the problem because I was also confronted to it a few months ago.

I used to choose a wallpaper by right click on the image and choose "use as wallpaper". And systematically after playing PCARS, I found a different wallpaper, in this case the yellow background of Windows 8.1.
But since I go through "personalise / desktop background / check the picture you want to put as wallpaper / save", the wallpaper does not change once the game session ended.

This solved my problem, perhaps it will be different for you !

Ok, I understand. Well, maybe there is something do to with the background configuration itself (but only related to PCars and SHIFT 2, other games and 3D applications work perfectly). I've set up my wallpaper to random choose images from a folder every 24 hours. I'll try to test it with just one image.

blot
21-05-2015, 17:18

This works for me, Cheers Alan :)

SgtMajor
23-05-2015, 13:19
Just a thought here.....but do you have automatic updates for windows on?

I'm not sure what I have configured, however, I'm presented with a choice whenever this happens and it doesn't happen all the time. Every now and again, when I exit windows presents a popup asking if I want to switch to Windows Basic display. Obviously I check no and go about my business.

Cheers,

HDBanger
23-05-2015, 15:05
Whatever the last wallpaper is set to before I run PC, even if I change it after closing the game, or have it on shuffle, it always goes back to the wallpaper I set right before I started PC up the last time. No auto updates on, it does not change to basic display etc. It just remembers the last wallpaper set and resets it to that on next game startup. How this is tied together is mind boggling, but seeing as I have a dozen or so PCs screenshots shuffling for wallpaper, it doesn't bother me too much, lol.

zuotoski
25-05-2015, 13:02
Whatever the last wallpaper is set to before I run PC, even if I change it after closing the game, or have it on shuffle, it always goes back to the wallpaper I set right before I started PC up the last time. No auto updates on, it does not change to basic display etc. It just remembers the last wallpaper set and resets it to that on next game startup. How this is tied together is mind boggling, but seeing as I have a dozen or so PCs screenshots shuffling for wallpaper, it doesn't bother me too much, lol.

Yeap... I can confirm that the same happens here. I tried to save the wallpaper in a theme, but the "issue" remains. As I said, it happens since SHIFT 2, so I guess that this is something related to the graphics engine (something that only devs can answer correctly).

HBR-Roadhog
25-05-2015, 13:14
I've not noticed anything going on with my wallpaper. I have sometimes gotten a message telling me that my computer is running slow and would I like to disable the Aero Theme. I select no of course and no issues that i saw.

I have my desktop set to cycle wallpaper pretty often and really don;t pay much attention to what was there before or after playing the game plus the wallpaper could have been changed as part of the normal cycle so maybe it has or not and I just have not noticed.

if it is happening then that is very odd but for many of us not a big deal.

zuotoski
25-05-2015, 13:42
No, not a big deal, but would be nice to know why and how to solve it.

fpetersen
01-06-2015, 18:24
So I have the same problem with Windows 10. Although not exactly a fix, this is how I work around it. Pretty sure it works the same for windows 7 and 8.
Save whatever wallpaper you want to use as "TranscodedWallpaper.jpg" in the directory C:\Users\your_user_name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Themes. This seems to be the windows default wallpaper.
So when pcars switches out the wallpaper, it will use this one. Anyway.. it works for me.
Good luck..

Mancunain
01-06-2015, 19:08
Same issue, Windows theme changes on game launch to the Aero Theme "Windows 7" no matter how I set theme or background.. doesn't seem to affect game in any way.

Also, I have a dual monitor setup and sometimes pjc blacks out my 2nd monitor while sometimes it keeps it showing whatever was left on it. No real problem for me, just though you should know.

I have dual monitor too..
and doesnt win aero use the onboard gpu? maybe turn that off? try turning aero off.. bloated crap anyway xD

the black screens happen to me too. especially with steam. that seems to disappear if i minimize it, and i cant get it back up, i can get all the options/library pages up etc thats on the right click menus on steam icon, but steam itself will not return..

Alt + Tab sometimes DO NOT exit the game to desktop, i have to physically click off onto 2nd monitor and then alt + tab works to get game back up.. but its when im tabbed out like that on 2nd screen i can get occasional black screens (either screen, usually 1 at a time tho),
sometimes it refreshes and returns, sometimes it does not.
Windows key does not even work to get me back to desktop.. occasionally i have to alt/ctrl/del and cancel, then i can click my taskbar that was previously hidden by the black screen where pCars was...

Defo something strange going on if u tab out.. and the windowed mode is not full screen windowed so that mode is turned off .. which has prob got something to do with tabbing out issues.. along with that windows 800x600 screen behind the game..
game runs fine in 1280x720 - my tv is only 1080i not p :(

So, troubleshooting...
Win Aero ??? onboard gpu being used by windows instead of aftermarket gpu ? try turn aero off for a few days and see..
Windows itself or power settings
VM is recommended to be 6gig for pCars - possibe bottleneck + windows just lowers desktop resolution..
This is also possible bcos after tabbiong out sometimes.. it can also make my tv think the game is 1080i and when i get back to game.. my mouse pointer is out of sync (in game only) i highlight a bar to click, but mouse is 3inches above it so i cant click it.. text is slighlty distorted (small text) so defo some resolution issue going on..
My game is only set to 1280x720 59hz my tv tells me its swapped from 1080i to 720/60hz every time i load the game.. but like i said, sometimes after tabbing out, then game tries to run at 1080i, or at least ,my tv swaps to that mode/.. thats when the text & mouse issues arise..

Steam related? as thats the only other software open that has issues, but my bet is with windows/win aero somewhere...

TestTec
25-07-2015, 08:13
Real pain in the a$$ that PCars activates Aero theme every time i start the game, i hate Aero as it's a resource hog and eats ram that u need more for PCars.
Does PCars UI require Aero to work?

Roger Prynne
25-07-2015, 10:54
Does PCars UI require Aero to work?
No it doesn't.

Roger Prynne
25-07-2015, 11:01
My game is only set to 1280x720 59hz my tv tells me its swapped from 1080i to 720/60hz every time i load the game.. but like i said, sometimes after tabbing out, then game tries to run at 1080i, or at least ,my tv swaps to that mode/.. thats when the text & mouse issues arise..
Have you got your TV on 'Game Mode' or doesn't it have one.

0006isho
09-01-2016, 19:23
i have the same problem

heatseeker
12-01-2016, 16:25
Same issue here in W10 with dual monitors.

RacingManiac
12-01-2016, 16:32
I had this issue in Windows 10 Pro. I have a folder for wallpapers, and normally it just cycles through it. When I play pCARS in the beginning it would reset it to the default Windows 10 one every time. I had to save using the custom wallpaper as a "theme" and apply that theme and it would keep the wallpaper after. The only thing is though it would still default to whatever the 1st picture is everytime I start the game(the wallpaper changes every 30 min, it just restart from the 1st one every time).

longress
29-01-2016, 21:46
Did anyone ever find what was the conflict or how to prevent the change in wallpaper when launching pcars on windows 7?

zuotoski
29-01-2016, 23:17
Did anyone ever find what was the conflict or how to prevent the change in wallpaper when launching pcars on windows 7?

No, and unfortunately it seems that it will not be solved, it looks like that devs don't take it as a priority (in any level). It is very anoying, but it doesn't stop the game to work properly. NFS SHIFT 2 and PCARS, both do it when the wallpaper is set to "slideshow", no other game or 3D applicatin that I have installed in my computer does it.

It would be nice to have some feedback from the devs about it, and some suggestions to solve it.

Kishshey
30-01-2016, 15:21
Right click my computer > properties > Advanced System settings > Performance > And choose settings to your preference.

Hope this helped

zuotoski
01-02-2016, 13:03
Right click my computer > properties > Advanced System settings > Performance > And choose settings to your preference.

Hope this helped

:confused: huuu... what? I don't see the solution for the problem with your suggestion, sorry.

bporion
01-02-2016, 20:00
This stupid thing started happening to me last week ! Any work around SMS ??

Sampo
01-02-2016, 20:03
There are people who don't have that problem (me), so it must be a setting in windows that clashes with something in PCars.

bporion
01-02-2016, 20:10
I've been playing Pcars since 2012 and I never had this happen until last week . And I have changed nothing anywhere on my PC .

Mahjik
01-02-2016, 20:21
I've been playing Pcars since 2012 and I never had this happen until last week . And I have changed nothing anywhere on my PC .

Did you recently change your wallpaper?

Sampo
01-02-2016, 20:56

I see you're on Win10. I have Win7. Possibly some new Win10 patch that changed something in the system that clashes with the game.

bporion
01-02-2016, 22:55
Did you recently change your wallpaper?

I actually did but I have done that a couple of times since 2012 .

Mahjik
01-02-2016, 23:01
I actually did but I have done that a couple of times since 2012 .

The theory is that it uses puts the wallpaper back (after closing pCARS) that was used when Windows started up. Those who see the issue are ones who typically use rotating backgrounds so the background is rotating much more often than they are rebooting.

bporion
01-02-2016, 23:24
My wallpaper changes seconds before the game screen comes on . And I don't have rotating wallpapers but thanks anyway .

Mahjik
02-02-2016, 01:26
My wallpaper changes seconds before the game screen comes on . And I don't have rotating wallpapers but thanks anyway .

When you exited, what wallpaper was there? Was it your current or a previous wallpaper?

Bealdor
02-02-2016, 08:35
Did you already try this?

zuotoski
02-02-2016, 12:48
The theory is that it uses puts the wallpaper back (after closing pCARS) that was used when Windows started up. Those who see the issue are ones who typically use rotating backgrounds so the background is rotating much more often than they are rebooting.

It changes the wallpaper seconds before the game screen appear. I use rotating wallpaper and it always puts back one wallpaper in particular (let's call it "wallpaper A"), and I can change it back to something else after closing the game, if I start the game again, it changes back to "wallpaper A". As I said, it happens since NFS SHIFT 2, when I had Windows 7 Running, then I upgraded to Windows 8, then Windows 8.1 and now Windows 10.

eracerhead
02-02-2016, 13:42
Never had a problem with losing the wallpaper in Windows 7. I rebuilt my PC last weekend with Windows 10 and a clean reinstall of Steam/pCars, and it started defaulting to a blue blackground immediately following game launch. Adding the wallpaper to a theme solved the issue so far. Never had to do that in Win7.

bporion
02-02-2016, 19:49
When you exited, what wallpaper was there? Was it your current or a previous wallpaper?

The previous one .

bporion
02-02-2016, 19:54
Did you already try this?

I will give it a shot and report back . But I am sure this is a bug that was put in the game on purpose cause the DEV's are just bored and have nothing better to do ! :apple:

@Allan Dallas saving the wallpaper did the trick !!

zuotoski
03-02-2016, 12:49
I will give it a shot and report back . But I am sure this is a bug that was put in the game on purpose cause the DEV's are just bored and have nothing better to do ! :apple:

@Allan Dallas saving the wallpaper did the trick !!

About the dev's just bored... well they are bored for a loooong time, then (since NFS SHIFT 2) :p . And about the "saving the wallpaper in a theme", it may solve the problem for those who use fixed wallpaper, but for the rotating the problem still exists. What is funny is that for me, when I use only one wallpaper it doesn't change, it only happens when I use rotating.

RacingManiac
03-02-2016, 14:46
About the dev's just bored... well they are bored for a loooong time, then (since NFS SHIFT 2) :p . And about the "saving the wallpaper in a theme", it may solve the problem for those who use fixed wallpaper, but for the rotating the problem still exists. What is funny is that for me, when I use only one wallpaper it doesn't change, it only happens when I use rotating.

For me it "fixed" it in that it doesn't change to the default Windows wallpaper, instead just change to a specifc wallpaper in my wallpaper folder(I think maybe the first one). Annoying, but ultimately less annoying than having to reassign wallpaper to rotate again...

Shadowoff
03-02-2016, 18:28
Also have this issue...

zuotoski
03-02-2016, 19:46
For me it "fixed" it in that it doesn't change to the default Windows wallpaper, instead just change to a specifc wallpaper in my wallpaper folder(I think maybe the first one). Annoying, but ultimately less annoying than having to reassign wallpaper to rotate again...

It doesn't change fom rotaing to fixed, it grabs the first wallpaper assigned during Windows screen setup and shows it, but the configurations remains as ratating. If I choose to use fixed (it means only one wallpaper), it keeps the right wallpaper - so, the problem is when using rotating, in my case.

Mahjik
03-02-2016, 20:55

The wallpaper likely still disappears when it launches, but reappears with the expected wallpaper (since there is always just one wallpaper). I don't think the actual behavior is different, there is just only one wallpaper that gets reapplied.

sherpa25
04-02-2016, 12:13
I have dual monitor too..
and doesnt win aero use the onboard gpu? maybe turn that off? try turning aero off.. bloated crap anyway xD

the black screens happen to me too. especially with steam. that seems to disappear if i minimize it, and i cant get it back up, i can get all the options/library pages up etc thats on the right click menus on steam icon, but steam itself will not return..

Alt + Tab sometimes DO NOT exit the game to desktop, i have to physically click off onto 2nd monitor and then alt + tab works to get game back up.. but its when im tabbed out like that on 2nd screen i can get occasional black screens (either screen, usually 1 at a time tho),
sometimes it refreshes and returns, sometimes it does not.
Windows key does not even work to get me back to desktop.. occasionally i have to alt/ctrl/del and cancel, then i can click my taskbar that was previously hidden by the black screen where pCars was...

Defo something strange going on if u tab out.. and the windowed mode is not full screen windowed so that mode is turned off .. which has prob got something to do with tabbing out issues.. along with that windows 800x600 screen behind the game..
game runs fine in 1280x720 - my tv is only 1080i not p :(

So, troubleshooting...
Win Aero ??? onboard gpu being used by windows instead of aftermarket gpu ? try turn aero off for a few days and see..
Windows itself or power settings
VM is recommended to be 6gig for pCars - possibe bottleneck + windows just lowers desktop resolution..
This is also possible bcos after tabbiong out sometimes.. it can also make my tv think the game is 1080i and when i get back to game.. my mouse pointer is out of sync (in game only) i highlight a bar to click, but mouse is 3inches above it so i cant click it.. text is slighlty distorted (small text) so defo some resolution issue going on..

Steam related? as thats the only other software open that has issues, but my bet is with windows/win aero somewhere...

Exactly like what's happening in my case, background wallpaper turns black (though I just use plain, solid green background), and stays black even after exiting the game. Happened before with my older monitor (1920x1080), until now with a 2560x1440 monitor, running Win 7 x64. I have to keep loading themes after exiting. Obviously a bug in the game with these reports, and it's been a year and hasn't been addressed. Really annoying.

Mahjik
04-02-2016, 14:21
Exactly like what's happening in my case, background wallpaper turns black (though I just use plain, solid green background), and stays black even after exiting the game. Happened before with my older monitor (1920x1080), until now with a 2560x1440 monitor, running Win 7 x64. I have to keep loading themes after exiting. Obviously a bug in the game with these reports, and it's been a year and hasn't been addressed. Really annoying.

If it hasn't changed by now, it's not going to... While it's annoying, it's not earth shattering.

Kroegtijgertje
04-02-2016, 20:02
I went looking in the Windows System Sounds and found something weird.
When starting up the game you can hear this 'ting ting' sound, so I went looking for what action it was.
It turns out to be for the 'Theme windows adjustments' (or something like that, my Windows is Dutch language).
So it seems to me that's what is changing the wallpaper.

Question that remains is: Why is Project Cars adjusting the theme windows??

sherpa25
05-02-2016, 02:36
If it hasn't changed by now, it's not going to... While it's annoying, it's not earth shattering.

Yeah, probably not (like lots of other things), but as it's annoying (and especially as it's the only 'recent' game that does it), why is it "not going to"? Or devs could provide feedback re it, not just leave it buried. Plus there's lot's of different feedback from 'consumers' to assist with clues.

Sampo
05-02-2016, 07:02
Could you check from Control Panel -> System -> Advanced system settings -> Advanced -> Performance Settings -> Visual Effects -> Enable Desktop Composition. If you disable that, does the wallpaper still change when starting the game? Also, if you set the game resolution to the same as your desktop resolution, is the wallpaper still changing?

zuotoski
05-02-2016, 15:37
Could you check from Control Panel -> System -> Advanced system settings -> Advanced -> Performance Settings -> Visual Effects -> Enable Desktop Composition. If you disable that, does the wallpaper still change when starting the game? Also, if you set the game resolution to the same as your desktop resolution, is the wallpaper still changing?

Hi. I can confirm that even when the game is set to the same resolution as the desktop, it changes the wallpaper. I use Windwos 10 and the "Enable Desktop Composition" option doesn't exist or is placed somewhere else, so I couldn't test it.

Cheers.

Chin
05-02-2016, 19:32
Interesting I should come across this thread... My buddy just had this start happening in the past few weeks. When he tries to exit the game the screen goes blank. He has to CTRL-ALT-DEL to get out (works every time from what I understand) and then his wallpaper is reverted. I was thinking he had a flaky file somewhere, sounds like he is far from alone. I will suggest setting up his wallpaper via 'personalize'. Not sure how that will cure the black screen (though it appears not everyone has that symptom), but we will see.

He has been using the same wallpaper since 'the beginning of time' and it doesn't rotate.
The wallpaper defaults back to the system default.
He is on Win10.
Not sure if it is actually changing prior to launching the game, will ask to verify.

sherpa25
09-02-2016, 06:50

Sorry, just saw this. Enable Desktop Composition is already disabled in my settings (Custom). Likewise, I've always run the game with the same desktop resolution (2560x1440).

ELAhrairah
09-02-2016, 07:00
Save your wallpaper in the same folder as where the default wallpaper is. That fixed it for me.

oppolo
10-02-2016, 18:56
hello
I have a weird problem, my desktop is without any picture and black, when I launch this game, at the startup, it change my desktop with a picture...a little bit annoying ( I have win10)

Mahjik
10-02-2016, 19:50
Likely related to: http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?22343-Project-Cars-removes-Windows-wallpaper

oppolo
10-02-2016, 21:22
ok thank you, no way to solve it

Neil Bateman
10-02-2016, 22:10
Save your wallpaper in the same folder as where the default wallpaper is. That fixed it for me.

I was going to suggest that, rename your image with the same name as the default one, copy, paste and overwrite.

sherpa25
11-02-2016, 02:17

How do you do it for one with no wallpaper (ie. I just use solid background color)?

Sankyo
11-02-2016, 07:58
Threads merged.

oppolo
11-02-2016, 10:09
How do you do it for one with no wallpaper (ie. I just use solid background color)?

yes, me too...so weird issue
...and if I launch the game with afterburner on, the game crash...and many time I have to launch the game more times before finally it startup ok

The Sisco
12-02-2016, 16:54
This works for me too, Cheers Alan

DragonBaron
03-03-2016, 20:20
Same problem here (Windows 10). When will this issue be fixed?

ObhunJunior
06-03-2016, 18:52
Same problem. And can't even quit the game properly. (game remains in the process list as not responding and leaves a black square on the screen).
It looks like a driver issue. But maybe not. :/

BSDShoes
08-04-2016, 18:50
Just started encountering the desktop color changing problem as of patch 10 (wallpaper stays the same), I'm sitting on 32GB ram so memory isn't the issue.

byFace
17-04-2016, 03:38
Here the same issue too.

But, it started to happen, for the first time, when the windows detects "low video performance", and it shows you the change to basic color scheme or something like that, and then, i pressed yes, end therefore everytime i played the game, in the same moment i double click the game icon, it changes my WHOLE windows theme, to the basic theme of the system, (an asus theme in my case)
And when the game exits, does not return to my personalized theme.
Before that, it never happened ever.

so, i even tried reinstalling the game, reinstall drivers, read forums! ^_^, and nothing...

so, someone has a clue?
how to fix it?

my specs: amd 1090T 6core 8gb1600 raid0 AtiR9.270x 2gb AsusAMD785, AMDDrivers:15.30.1025.1001.151204a-296872C.
Win7 64b full updated.

Tommi-TAG
23-05-2016, 14:09
Thanks for the information, Alan. Applying "Save theme" worked for me. :)
I uploaded a video to show how the solution worked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BN4tWVABCk&feature=youtu.be&gl

I did not have this issue when I upgraded Windows from 8.1 to 10.
But recently, I clean installed Windows 10 and had this issue.

I've tested and found that the game seems to change the wallpaper to the one that was used when pCARS was installed & launched for the first time. (It might be the reason some people have this issue, and others don't.)
As Alan suggested, after changed the wallpaper, applying "Save theme" worked for me. And I could solve the problem.
Thank you. :)

byFace
22-08-2016, 16:23
I've tested and found that the game seems to change the wallpaper to the one that was used when pCARS was installed & launched for the first time. (It might be the reason some people have this issue, and others don't.)

That's a clue, i will try to make a clean install of win an then set a specific theme (the one u want), and install the game over it.
That could be a solution.
I'll tell you.

PS: Meanwhile i've disabled the theme service, personalized the colour of the windows (old fashion school), and set the desktop background, and everytime the game starts it shows some window error "the theme couldnt be applied" or something like that... and voila!, nothing changes! (me:1 thebug:0 ^_^)

PRL MerlinC
19-11-2016, 15:33

Saving a theme after I changed the wallpaper did solve the issue as well for me.

Zao
19-01-2017, 18:27
Thanks to some executable sleuthing of a good friend, an actual root cause for this is the game calling SystemParametersInfoA with SPI_SETHIGHCONTRAST. This seems to revert the Windows theme to the previously saved state as a side effect, even when the action should be a no-op.
I've reproduced this in a standalone program with similar calls that has the same effect as the game:

#include <Windows.h>

int main() {
HIGHCONTRASTA hc{};
hc.cbSize = sizeof(HIGHCONTRAST);
SystemParametersInfoA(SPI_SETHIGHCONTRAST, sizeof(HIGHCONTRASTA), &hc, 0);
}

How do I properly report this to the developer to get them to evaluate why this call is in the code and if it can be omitted if no accessibility features are desired?

Sankyo
19-01-2017, 18:30
Thanks to some executable sleuthing of a good friend, an actual root cause for this is the game calling SystemParametersInfoA with SPI_SETHIGHCONTRAST. This seems to revert the Windows theme to the previously saved state as a side effect, even when the action should be a no-op.
I've reproduced this in a standalone program with similar calls that has the same effect as the game:

#include <Windows.h>

int main() {
HIGHCONTRASTA hc{};
hc.cbSize = sizeof(HIGHCONTRAST);
SystemParametersInfoA(SPI_SETHIGHCONTRAST, sizeof(HIGHCONTRASTA), &hc, 0);
}

How do I properly report this to the developer to get them to evaluate why this call is in the code and if it can be omitted if no accessibility features are desired?

Thanks, I've reported this to the devs.

Sankyo
20-01-2017, 08:21
Thanks, I've reported this to the devs.

It's fixed in pC2, not likely to be fixed in pC1 (not a game-breaking bug).

vith
21-01-2017, 22:32
It's not just the wallpaper getting lost, it also loses your interface colors.

You're right, it's not a game breaking bug, it's a data loss bug, and the data is not even related to the game. I suppose if it was deleting random files out of the Documents folder that would also not be game breaking.

This decision should be reconsidered. The solution you offer: "buy more of our games" is more likely to result in the opposite.

Zao
21-01-2017, 23:04
Thank you Remco for forwarding this request and bringing back some closure to a long-running problem.
I fully understand the risk-cost-value tradeoff in making non-critical Quality-of-Life changes this late in the lifecycle of the game and am happy that it at least is addressed in future titles.

I'm too afraid of the anticheat to hook/patch anything, so I guess I'll fiddle with appcompat shims and see if they work around it. If all else fails, there's always "always remember to save your theme when changing what you think are persistent settings".

Mahjik
22-01-2017, 00:00
This decision should be reconsidered. The solution you offer: "buy more of our games" is more likely to result in the opposite.

Remco is not a SMS employee. He is a moderator on the forum so it's not his decision. We moderators are simply "providing the information". In other words, don't shoot the messenger. ;)

Sankyo
22-01-2017, 06:47
Remco is not a SMS employee. He is a moderator on the forum so it's not his decision. We moderators are simply "providing the information". In other words, don't shoot the messenger. ;)
The only addition I'll make to this is that some of us (including me) have been part of pC1 development from the start and hence have gotten a good feel for how things work in (complex) software development. Even a simple fix may have unforeseen consequences and hence become very costly when trying to implement it. This is not a sign of incompetence, but the harsh reality of software development. Coupled with the fact that all resources have been put on pC2 to get that finished in time and within budget, bugs like these may be annoying and are certainly unwanted (also for the devs), but they're very likely to stay in pC1.