PDA

View Full Version : [ANSWER POST 9] - Dropping to 1st from high gears?

Brute x Magicz
08-05-2015, 16:26
Managed to get footage of me going from 5th to 1st into a corner when I wanted to go down gears...

To help, ill explain everything

Using an xbox one controller in a public online lobby
Car went from 5th to 1st and spun out, somehow not blowing my engine up...

This also happened to me a few times, not just once

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbqETj8S1QQ

Manic DBB
08-05-2015, 16:46
It looks to me like you are downshifting to 4th at too high a speed, causing you to lose control. Maybe the game goes into 1st automatically after that? I don't have the game until the 12th, so I'm just guessing.

gmspromo
15-05-2015, 06:47
Managed to get footage of me going from 5th to 1st into a corner when I wanted to go down gears...

To help, ill explain everything

Using an xbox one controller in a public online lobby
Car went from 5th to 1st and spun out, somehow not blowing my engine up...

This also happened to me a few times, not just once

I've mentioned this issue somewhere else on the forum as well ... it's not just you, it is definitely a bug but only seems to happen occasionally ...

Convexrook
21-05-2015, 17:12
It looks to me like you are downshifting to 4th at too high a speed, causing you to lose control. Maybe the game goes into 1st automatically after that? I don't have the game until the 12th, so I'm just guessing.

you really need to get informed before you come to a conclusion

Convexrook
21-05-2015, 17:14
I have been having the same problem since May 18th, not before then, and its really annoying, sometimes the car would skip gears too. First I thought it was my Wheel (G27) but I tried another game and it worked fine. SO definaty a late bloomer bug.

Bryer
21-05-2015, 17:29
It's a bug. Check the gear ratios in setup.

z3r0cool77
22-05-2015, 16:46
Just had this as well. Is not related to the gear ratio bug in tuning setups where gears get assigned duplicate ratios. I was heading into a corner in 5th gear in the Ginetta junior, hit A once to downshift into 4th and gear went straight to 1st, putting me into a spin and a wall.

Convexrook
28-05-2015, 15:19
SO I figured that if oyu use the G27 on a USB 2.0 port emulated on a USB 3.0 controller you will get the random gear drop. For some reason Project CARS is quite sensitive to this kind if anomaly. I even went through the process of pulling down my wheel and adjusting the paddle shift switches to be more firm and less susceptible to jerks and random FFB. it has been working well ever since then but not sure when it will start acting up again, and I also just straight plugged into a USB 3.0 as well.

Casey Ringley
28-05-2015, 15:31
We've pretty much tracked this down now. Only affects sequential gearbox cars and most of the time is probably happening on 'unhealthy' controllers which are registering multiple inputs to the gearshift button in rapid succession. That BMW M3 GT, for instance, could have this happen if it gets two gear shift down inputs inside of 50ms. My fingers aren't fast enough to do that, but it seems likely that a dirty/tired controller could have the same effect. We're looking at adding a little safety net in the code to prevent these hyper-rapid shift scenarios from breaking things.

If any of you do experience it due to intentionally rapid button bashing, however, just slow down the action a bit. Won't save you any time over a lap and a similar approach in a real car would break things.

z3r0cool77
28-05-2015, 20:35
We've pretty much tracked this down now. Only affects sequential gearbox cars and most of the time is probably happening on 'unhealthy' controllers which are registering multiple inputs to the gearshift button in rapid succession. That BMW M3 GT, for instance, could have this happen if it gets two gear shift down inputs inside of 50ms. My fingers aren't fast enough to do that, but it seems likely that a dirty/tired controller could have the same effect. We're looking at adding a little safety net in the code to prevent these hyper-rapid shift scenarios from breaking things.

If any of you do experience it due to intentionally rapid button bashing, however, just slow down the action a bit. Won't save you any time over a lap and a similar approach in a real car would break things.

Interesting theory but doesn't explain the car down shifting all the way to first instantly when pressing a button to upshift.

Just had it happen in qual session gt5 at Donington. Heading down the front straight in 4th gear and shift light comes on so I upshift to 5th. Instead the car instantly goes to 1st and I spin.

TheReaper GT
28-05-2015, 22:01

Good to know, thank you for the explanation. I am having the issue when i drop from 4th to 3th, only one button press, and the car goes directly to 1st. Itīs not a deal breaker but is a little anoying. The safety net will be very welcome.

ady in cyprus
29-05-2015, 06:17
I'm also having the same problem. It's usually when shifting up gears I have the problem. Go to go from 4th to 5th and get dropped down to 1st and spin out! My controller shouldn't be bad as its less than 4 months old!

TenthDan
29-05-2015, 07:04
Interesting theory but doesn't explain the car down shifting all the way to first instantly when pressing a button to upshift.

Just had it happen in qual session gt5 at Donington. Heading down the front straight in 4th gear and shift light comes on so I upshift to 5th. Instead the car instantly goes to 1st and I spin.

It does in that it's triggering odd behaviour/bug that causes the drop to 1st.

Casey Ringley
29-05-2015, 15:17

Indeed. It went past theory status after a series of tests. We're looking at some code to 'de-bounce' the inputs and guard against this, but the root cause is that your controller is reporting two presses of the gear shift button near simultaneously. Can happen going up or down the box.

z3r0cool77
29-05-2015, 15:21

Makes sense then. the explanation of the controller sending multiple inputs just didn't include the fact that it was triggering the bug causing the reverse shifting. It just seemed to imply that it was causing rapid downshift. Happy happy :) Thanks for the explanation and response.

FLX81
29-05-2015, 20:50

Response from GTP:

I appreciate the response and all. But It's happening on brand new controllers two. I bought my PS4 on May 7th. The only action it saw before playing Pcars and experiencing the bug within an hour of playing, was setting up a PSN account and inputting my internet details. Dirty/Tired/Unhealthy it is not.

I'd like to claim my fingers are that fast too, but at 29... I can already begin to tell they aren't :lol:

Luke Townsend
29-05-2015, 21:02
I had it too on a brand new T300RS, but only a couple of times and not since. Even a new controller/wheel could cause it, I would say. Some of my work is writing control software for electronic devices, and a mechanical button of any kind (e.g. controller button or flappy gear paddle) actually generates multiple on/off signals over a few milliseconds as the metal contacts meet before finally settling down. "De-bouncing" the signals in software as Casey says, is the way around this, so when it is patched that should fix all cases.

lethaLEEkill
29-05-2015, 23:38

i use a h pattern shifter and have the same issue with all cars with seq. gearbox, it happens all the time, i can get through about 1 in 15 laps without it happening. stop blaming everyones hardware and fix this bloody game already!!!!:mad:

hellZfirEJP
30-05-2015, 04:16

This is not a malfunctioning pad problem. I have 2 pads. They do the same thing. I remapped the up and downshifts buttons, the same thing. Look at this video i've made (PS4 version):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qx-u39jR2CA

Downshifts to 1st gear when i'm upshifting 3rd to 4th or 4th to 5th. If it was a pad problem, it would downshift sequentially, and not go straight to 1st. And it would multipress on others games as well, witch it doesn't.

It's "good" to know a lot of people are having the same problem. It's really annoying because i love the game, but every race this happens with me and kills my race.

Devs, pls take a good look on this. It's a bug. My controller has barelly 6 months of age. Never crashed or anything. It's in perfect condictions.

I hope you don't give this excuse and don't try to look into it. A lot of people having the same problem proves that's a bug.

pa_pinkelman
30-05-2015, 10:49

Nothing wrong with my controllers I can assure you. Stop blaming hardware please. It even happened to me (on multiplayer) on a straight when not shifting and with damage OFF.

D1rty Duck UK
30-05-2015, 11:34
Lol it's a hardware issue, people are reporting it happening on new controllers. Some of the reasons for the coded bugs are ridiculous

jimithy
30-05-2015, 20:24
I get this issue at least once a race. It doesn;t usually drop to 1st gear, but for example if I am in 4th and drop a gear to 3rd, it will actually drop to 2nd despite me only pressing the down gear button once.

I only bought my xbox one in march, and probably only use it 3 or 4 hours a week maximum, so no way is it due to an old controller like you are saying. My controller is in pristine condition, and I am only pressing the down shift button once.

Plato99
31-05-2015, 15:47
Patch 1.3 has 99% cured this for me.

z3r0cool77
31-05-2015, 16:03
Patch 1.3 did 99% nothing to address this problem so.... :)

transfix
31-05-2015, 22:02
This has happened a few times to me and blowing an engine on 2 occasions.

Plato99
31-05-2015, 22:50
Patch 1.3 did 99% nothing to address this problem so.... :)

Can only assume what screwed up the steering also screwed up the analogue gearshift.
I'm 99% certain that I'm I'm not spending 99% of every race frantically trying to get the damn car to change up.
Unless I'm 99% imagining it.

z3r0cool77
01-06-2015, 02:00
If you are using the right analog stick for shift then it would help with that. Issues with right stick shifting are due to oversensitivity of the right stick causing shifts in the opposite direction when you let go of stick and it recenters. Patch 1.3 reduced that sensitivity a bit but not quite enough to stop it completely. That however is a seperate issue from the one mentioned here.

Psychomatrix
02-06-2015, 12:21
Strange since patch 1.03 comes more like before. If the controller send multiple inputs than the issue must be in other games too. And the issue is on ps4 and xbox one. Please fix this and don't blame our hardware. It's impossible to play a race without fear that suddenly rear axis looked because game shifts 2 gears down. and mostly in 4th and 3rd gear. never in when i shift down from 6 to 5.

titanic tony
02-06-2015, 16:09
its done it to 4 to 5 times

lordymatsuo
03-06-2015, 07:27

This is utter rubbish, my PS4 is brand new bought for Project Cars. Your findings that this is down to old hardware is not correct. Please keep looking. Also as others have said why do i shift from 5th to 1st when I try and shift into 6th. I'm not even pressing the down shift button so this reason is just not accurate at all.

I have been patient for a month like many here and this bug is not mentioned on the PS4 patch notes which I am disappointed about. This is without doubt race ruining. I race online competitively and this down shift from 5th to 1st is killing my races we have had to turn off mechanical failures in our lobbies to stop blown engines but this opens the door for manipulating the tunes by fully closing the radiator and gaining a speed advantage.

Apoc112
03-06-2015, 12:16
Had this happen to me a few times as well.

https://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Apoc112/video/2054409

If it's a hardware issue, it's an awfully rare and random one. And even if it's 5 sequential button presses happening from a faulty pad, wouldn't the delay been 6th and 1st gear be longer? This looks more like I had a button mapped directly to 1st gear, but I do not.

z3r0cool77
03-06-2015, 17:07
They've stated that its not precisely "sequential" button presses that you are seeing. Rather its a sort of "odd behavior" / bug that is being triggered by the rapid button signals. Pcars is just so insanely over sensitive to control inputs in so many ways.

GazLime
05-06-2015, 13:35
Finally I've found the thread about this "issue".

This "issue" is very appartent on the Clio Cup, now I say "issue" as I'm actually unsure as to whether this is a bug, a mechanical issue with the cars and/or my driving style.

Running the Clio cup with manual gear /w auto clutch on the controller I've noticed this occurring when.

1. I am changing gear under heavy braking (lock up)
2. When I change down between gears too quickly

Coming from Forza 5, you could just spam the down shift quickly and it would move to that gear with no issue, however in PCars there is seems a noticeable gap when shifting down.

In PCars it shifts from 5 > N > 4 > N and so on, and I think that the down shift to 1st gear "issue" happens when you simply change down to the next gear too quickly (in the neutral stage)

This happened to me quite a lot and got very annoying, however I've since got round it by feathering the braking into corners and making sure my transition down gears are much more smoother in the Clio, which is not a bad thing, I think it has made me a quicker driver in the process.

z3r0cool77
05-06-2015, 14:35
Finally I've found the thread about this "issue".

This "issue" is very appartent on the Clio Cup, now I say "issue" as I'm actually unsure as to whether this is a bug, a mechanical issue with the cars and/or my driving style.

Running the Clio cup with manual gear /w auto clutch on the controller I've noticed this occurring when.

1. I am changing gear under heavy braking (lock up)
2. When I change down between gears too quickly

Coming from Forza 5, you could just spam the down shift quickly and it would move to that gear with no issue, however in PCars there is seems a noticeable gap when shifting down.

In PCars it shifts from 5 > N > 4 > N and so on, and I think that the down shift to 1st gear "issue" happens when you simply change down to the next gear too quickly (in the neutral stage)

This happened to me quite a lot and got very annoying, however I've since got round it by feathering the braking into corners and making sure my transition down gears are much more smoother in the Clio, which is not a bad thing, I think it has made me a quicker driver in the process.

The actual bug in this case is not relegated to those conditions and isn't simply a result of downshifting too quickly. As previously mentioned, it can occur after a single upshift. Dev's have already confirmed it is a bug being triggered by controller output, not a shifting "issue."

Psychomatrix
12-06-2015, 12:40
Is their any solution for this issue. I can't find this in known bugs for xbox1. Or is that a thing that we've to deal with.

Stephen Viljoen
12-06-2015, 14:35
We have a fix for this that we've tested internally and can no longer reproduce this issue. Thanks to those of you who posted clear steps to reproduce. We'll roll it out to you all in the next patch.

Psychomatrix
12-06-2015, 15:17
Thanks for the very fast response :)

Luke Townsend
12-06-2015, 21:04
We have a fix for this that we've tested internally and can no longer reproduce this issue. Thanks to those of you who posted clear steps to reproduce. We'll roll it out to you all in the next patch.

Excellent news! Many thanks for tackling this and looking forward to it in the next patch. :)

TheKitten
14-06-2015, 00:38
Happened to me a couple of times, and im on PC.

z3r0cool77
21-06-2015, 18:19
I assume this fix is slated for 1.5? Just wanted to check because I'm most certainly still getting it in 1.4. Probably irrelevant since it seems to have been fixed internally, but thought I would point out that I narrowed down the exact events causing it to happen when up shifting. I noticed that when I upshift (using face buttons for shift) My thumb will ever so slightly touch the down shift button as I release the up shift. When it happens it will shift immediately down to first 100% of the time. Buttons are just way too sensitive. When I say ever so slightly I mean just breath on the thing.

Also, Right stick is still WAY too sensitive to use for shifting. Just letting go of the stick after shifting bounces it enough in the opposite direction to counter shift and often trigger the shift to first bug. Any chance we could get that stick tweaked at your end or at least given control over it in our own settings menus? Needs more dead zone.