PDA

View Full Version : [ANSWERED] We need proper triple screen support

Pages : [1] 2

koikeeper67
08-05-2015, 17:04
This is the one big thing that is holding this back from people calling it a true sim title, I dont know if the crew at SMS are monitoring the different sim racing forums but if they are I am sure they have noticed that the sim racing community is not to impressed with the lack of proper triple screen support. OK I will say it looks not to bad if you have three monitors sitting on a desk but if you have a proper full on sim rig running triples that are set up for realistic FOV it just plan looks like crap. It is looking like triples were an after thought, and not much thought was put into it, almost as if they game was developed mainly for the console community and not the serious PC sim racing community.

Please please please give us proper triple support

individual screen rendering and side monitor angle adjustment would be a great start

PS.If Assetto Corsa can figure it out while the sim was still in development I am sure you guys can

RSfordy
08-05-2015, 17:11
+1 on that koikeeper67 it just kind of spoils it for triples at the min please sort this one out

Mahjik
08-05-2015, 17:13
Guys, it's coming. No need to continually request it.

E30_Hntsvl
08-05-2015, 17:31
With the proper bezel correction in Nvidia control panel, I like it the way it is.

RSfordy
08-05-2015, 17:33
nice one mate needed to hear that ;)

koikeeper67
08-05-2015, 17:37
I could not find any other thread on the subject of proper triple support that is why I started this one. Plus I have heard from other WMD members that they have been told it is coming for quite a while now and still nothing. I would think after what 4 years in development it should have been here on release day.

And if you see people continually requesting it maybe that should give you a good idea how much we want this fixed and how badly the ball was dropped.

David Slute
08-05-2015, 18:20
As mentioned its coming, some forget assetto corsa has been in development just as long as pcars and was released on 1 platform with a 1/4 of the content that pcars has while having to deal with 4 different platforms, the majority of sales which will further fund the title for more features and possible licenses are coming from consoles and things needed to be prioritized to have a good launch.
spend time optimizing the console version for a successful launch or triple screen support for a few thousand? :)
I was a triple screen user and was dissapointed but in the grand scheme of things I understood the decision and importance to finish other areas of the game. Hopefully will be seeing it soon :)

koikeeper67
08-05-2015, 18:21
All we are asking for is some sort of communication on the subject. I dont want to create a big fuss here I am just hopping by posting here on the Project cars forums that some one that can do something about it will see it. I have yet to see any communication in any of the other forums.

FinnDog Millionare
08-05-2015, 18:30

Good to hear.

Anyone else having problems getting the Helmet Camera to work with a triple screen set up?

Maybe I'm doing something wrong but can't get it to run.

Umer Ahmad
08-05-2015, 18:37
You sure you're on the "Helmet Cam"? Not the cockpit camera? Do you see the Helmet visor etc.?

There's no reason it should not work for triple screens. But I'm not sure why you would need it for 3x screens, you already got plenty of visual real estate to work with.

FinnDog Millionare
08-05-2015, 19:33
You sure you're on the "Helmet Cam"? Not the cockpit camera? Do you see the Helmet visor etc.?

There's no reason it should not work for triple screens. But I'm not sure why you would need it for 3x screens, you already got plenty of visual real estate to work with.

No I don't see the helmet visor, tried adjusting settings but no luck.

Just curious to see how it effects the realisim and look.

Thanks

Umer Ahmad
08-05-2015, 19:36
ok if you DO NOT see the Helmet visor then you're not in Helmet Cam (unless you've selected Show Helmet off).

So that means you're still in Cockpit Camera. Click the Camera Cycle button 2 more times (I think) and you'll land on the Helmet Cam.

Jack66
08-05-2015, 19:46
The helmet visor is not visble with triples

Jack66
08-05-2015, 19:57
ok if you DO NOT see the Helmet visor then you're not in Helmet Cam (unless you've selected Show Helmet off).

So that means you're still in Cockpit Camera. Click the Camera Cycle button 2 more times (I think) and you'll land on the Helmet Cam.

At default FOV helmet and cockpit cam look the same visually, no sign of the visor

stephenb
08-05-2015, 21:22
+1 on this request. For those not privy to be on the inside the last official update from SMS was that they were planning to work on support once the console builds had been submitted to MS/Sony. This was back in November so an update on the current situation from someone at SMS, guess bug fixing took priority in the mean time, would be appreciated. Now the console and PC versions have been released, and with it the discovery of new bugs that will need fixing, inevitable in a game of this complexity and ambition. You can understand peoples worries that this will keep getting pushed back.

Edit: on the visor in helmet cam not being displayed. It may have been removed if the game detected super wide aspect ratios (as you have with triple screens) as it didn't used to cover all of your screens so looked very odd.

Umer Ahmad
08-05-2015, 21:25
At default FOV helmet and cockpit cam look the same visually, no sign of the visor
use the "[" and "]" to adjust the FOV, widening it may allow you to see the Visor. There's also a slight color change and maybe a dirt texture on the visor so it's shouldn't 100% visually identical (mayb 98% :) )

Andrewgov
09-05-2015, 09:08
Current settings and FOV tweaks is simply not good enough for a properly setup rig with angled triple monitors. Very disappointed that this feature was left out at release, actually a bit shocked that SMS would release a "simulation" title where the focus is to create an immersive and reaslistic motorsport experience without this kind of support. Defeats the purpose imo.

I'm also quite amazed at how people find an incorrect FOV setup satisfactory, surely if you are willing to purchase a triple monitor setup you would put some time into researching how to correctly set this up. Visuals, as one would imagine, are incredibly important at creating immersion and correct setup is paramount to fooling your mind into this. This is why simulation titles such as iRacing and Assetto Corsa have added in the ability to compensate for the bezzel thickness, angles of screens and distance from drivers eyes. This compensation creates visuals that apear to fool your eyes into feeling that you're in the cockpit of the car looking out.

Based on the advice being provided in some threads, many are misinformed or underestimate the value of this in a "sim". For me this is unplayable and completely unacceptable imo, taking into consideration my other options of racing simulation titles and current technology and knowledge on visual immersion.

Glen Orpheus
09-05-2015, 16:52
Another plus one here for proper 3 screen support, just looks pants driving with a stretched image, I stopped playing elite dangerous because they also promised it yet still 6 months after release nothing, no support, no word from the devs, no nothing.....i hope they don't do the same.

Also I can confirm no helmet cam for triples, didn't really like it anyhow as found sometimes I wanted to focus on other things than what the game was telling me too, each to their own though.

So come on and tell us when not were are looking into it!! Please

skiky007
09-05-2015, 17:43
I hope that they hear us. It means a lot, support for three monitors. I think as they have iRacing , Assetto Corsa, rFactor and LFS (muliview, rendering each screen)!!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkIcfGHvvg4 Is there a possibility to vote?

koikeeper67
09-05-2015, 18:53
It would be real nice to hear from some one at SMS about this. I understand the WMD members are a bit better informed then the rest of us, but I see some of them saying it is being worked on and some saying they there has been no new info on this in months. It would be nice to know we are not being ignored. I understand the pressure to get the game released and that there can be bugs to fix once it is released. The problem is this is more then a bug it is something that was completely left out of the game.

Come on SMS I am sure you are watching your own forums let hear what you have to say.

Umer Ahmad
09-05-2015, 19:03
SMS gave a statement last year at WMD that they intend to bring correct iRacing-style 3x screen support to the game post-release. That was it.

Do you require more information than this at this time?

The Development Director himself plays iRacing and appreciates the 3x screen implementation of iRacing and keeps that as a "target" to achieve.

koikeeper67
09-05-2015, 21:07
Well that is the most info that any one has given us so far, so I take it there was no time line other then they are working on it?

It would be nice to have time line of problems and fixes so we would have an idea of the importance level of each problem/bug and some kind of idea of when we can expect a patch.
Assetto Corsa did this during the early release stage of the sim and it was nice to see our concerns were being addressed. Even iRacing keeps us up to date on their progress with updates
and patches, yah some times they miss the date but at least they give us a ball park of when we can expect an update or patch.

I dont think this is asking to much to be kept in the loop.

Mahjik
09-05-2015, 21:14
The most recent post (which was in April) was from the render lead in which he said he would be working on triple screen support along with his continued DK2 work after the release. The priority was (and still is) supporting the initial release before moving onto new enhancements.

MysterG
09-05-2015, 21:14
The problem with giving timelines is that everyone will hold them to it and start complaining if they are not met.

It is a planned feature that did not make it into the release.

pCARS has been out for a couple of days and there are far more pressing issues to attend to at the moment.

Keeping on asking will not speed up the process.

skiky007
10-05-2015, 04:57
Now I know something. ;)

Andrewgov
10-05-2015, 09:18
Best advice is if you have triple monitors do not ruin your experience and rather wait until this is fixed, shelf this title till the fix is confirmed, if you are considering purchasing consider yourself lucky that you have not shelled out $50 for an incomplete "simulation" title and wait till it's fixed. So many of my fellow sim racers share this sentiment, so many have not preordered and wisely so. I will be sharing this with my fellow sim racers until fixed so that triple monitor users know what they getting.

Doctor Doom
10-05-2015, 10:16
This is the most complete racing game I have played and I have played them all. When you play other racing games, you cannot read the brand of the tire and watch the Dunlops spin while you drive open wheel cars. You can see the rotation of the wheels. Perhaps people should look at the little things that were included in Project Cars.

This game will stand the test of time and be around for years to come.

For triple screen setups, a person would need Titan X in SLI.

koikeeper67
10-05-2015, 17:58
Well actually my R9 290X is running it just fine. IF you havent seen the tire rotating in an open wheel car I am guessing you have not driven Assetto Corsa. I do agree they have done the little details very well but to a Sim racer ( not a gamer) triple screen support is just as important, us sim racers are looking for the best immersion possible that is why we spend alot of money on monitors and video cards and controls.

Easty
10-05-2015, 18:07
This is essential for me to play also. Very surprised it wasn't by default. If you have large high angled screens it's unplayable until we get the game accounting for the angle.

The funny thing is if your playing single screen wide fov, your seeing a hugely distorted track. Corner will be open and gradient will not seem as dramatic as real life.

I tried the green hell on single screen and I've been around it in real life a lot. it certainly looks very flat and open in comparison.

I'll leave it alone and play AC until they sort this out. Looking like an awesome title. Great work!

If you don't have triple screen and wonder why usual triple screen users are a little disappointed check out this video on FOV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdQjSk8EtN8

Triple screen allows a natural FOV, this is difficult to play on single screen. For me with super wide fov everything feels like it's far ahead and I never get among the features of the track.

Look at this shot of Pflanzgarten. I've driven this in real life, it feels like a drop off then in in the corner, like you have to brake prior to the brow. On the left at narrow fov it's perfect.
The right just doesn't look the same.

flag1944
11-05-2015, 13:26
I believe the community should continue hounding them about triple screen support until and actual answer is given by SMS officially and not by WMD members.
This is a definite killer for this title. If this issue is not resolved SMS will lose support from the sim community on all future titles. I can definitely appreciate fixing bugs being a priority, but as a sim racer this is a major flaw that needs to be on the top 10 list of "things to fix".

If the community quits requesting triple monitor support then there is a chance it will never come as no one is complaining.

Want us to shut up - then fix it

Khyber GT
11-05-2015, 13:39
sad thing is they talked about support for triples, vr, and high resolutions in SO many interviews...yet finished product doesn't have proper support for triples and vr.... damn shame how 4 years went by and a racing "sim" doesn't have proper supporty

damn consolesever

the only thing the game has is support for high 16x9 resolutions and that's it.

I hope people continue to bring it up every day... for as many delays and as long as it took, for the game to not have at least proper triple support is a damn shame. hell even dirt rally has better support and it doesn't have separate screen rendering because their fov isn't fubar'd like it is on pcars current triple screen stretch everythingness

ermo
11-05-2015, 14:48
sad thing is they talked about support for triples, vr, and high resolutions in SO many interviews...yet finished product doesn't have proper support for triples and vr.... damn shame how 4 years went by and a racing "sim" doesn't have proper supporty

damn consolesever

I hope people continue to bring it up every day... for as many delays and as long as it took, for the game to not have at least proper triple support is a damn shame. hell even dirt rally has better support and it doesn't have separate screen rendering because their fov isn't fubar'd like it is on pcars current triple screen stretch everythingness

FWIW, I'd like to point out that perspective-corrected, native triple-screen support is something the devs themselves want as well. It's officially on the TODO list for an upcoming patch and that's all I really know -- keep in mind that SMS is an indie studio and have to prioritize features accordingly. It is no secret that the console audience is expected to bring in a larger percentage of the revenue than the PC audience, and triple-screen users are simply a niche-within-a-niche.

I own a triple screen setup bought specifically for Project CARS and two AMD Radeon HD 7970 GHz ed. cards. So you can imagine that I'm quite looking forward to both proper triple-screen support and the announced upcoming AMD driver optmization work myself. Be patient. :)

Khyber GT
11-05-2015, 16:26
oh i agree with you, it's just surprising that they couldn't have the support out before release or within last 4 years when their main competition on pc does...at least the big time sim games. For it being a "community developed" game I'm just surprised it wasn't an outrage to get the support in for triple screens... i guess people were too busy playing iracing and ac, etc to care on those special wmd forums??? maybe voice wasn't loud enough for it the last 4 years?

yeah we're niche but triples and vr are the best ways to play, fortunate I have both...but not having the proper support suckkksss....

hey kudos for them giving console guys an fov slider though... they're the first ever, in any genre to give fov options on consoles...something consoles desperately need for all games and genres.

MysterG
11-05-2015, 16:30
oh i agree with you, it's just surprising that they couldn't have the support out before release or within last 4 years when their main competition on pc does...at least the big time sim games. For it being a "community developed" game I'm just surprised it wasn't an outrage to get the support in for triple screens... i guess people were too busy playing iracing and ac, etc to care on those special wmd forums??? maybe voice wasn't loud enough for it the last 4 years?

yeah we're niche but triples and vr are the best ways to play, fortunate I have both...but not having the proper support suckkksss....

hey kudos for them giving console guys an fov slider though... they're the first ever, in any genre to give fov options on consoles...

Oh there was outrage and tantrums about it, but from about a dozen people out of 1000s. ;)

ermo basically summed it up, it's down to priorities and being not just a niche PC sim.

Mahjik
11-05-2015, 16:31
oh i agree with you, it's just surprising that they couldn't have the support out before release or within last 4 years when their main competition on pc does...at least the big time sim games. For it being a "community developed" game I'm just surprised it wasn't an outrage to get the support in for triple screens... i guess people were to busy playing iracing and ac, etc to care on those special wmd forums??? maybe voice wasn't loud enough for it the last 4years?

It has nothing to do with with the WMD community not having enough of a voice. You can never do "everything" as a software developer. You have to focus on the items which the large populous of users will use first. Triple screens is a small populous of the pCARS user group (I am a triple screen user too). It's important, but there are other features which need more attention first.

Trust me, I get it that it's highly desireable to you; but keep in mind there are thousands of other pCARS users all with things that are important to them.

Eric Bergeret
11-05-2015, 16:54
im using triple screen, whit the nvidia bzel correted is not so bad ;), im glady wait for that to be fully supported but in the mean time i do prefer them to work on thing that are really important rigth now ."i didn't say is not important at all"

RaceBabySr
11-05-2015, 17:57

damn consolesever

I agree, there does not seem to be many of us voicing our frustration over this issue. SMS really missed the mark on this one given their philosophy on listening to the consumer feedback.

Mahjik
11-05-2015, 18:06
I agree, there does not seem to be many of us voicing our frustration over this issue. SMS really missed the mark on this one given their philosophy on listening to the consumer feedback.

That's not the case. Many people are, but triple screen users (including myself) have to understand that in the grand scheme of things, they are the minority. That doesn't mean it's not important; it just means there are things which affect more users and those have a higher priority.

Khyber GT
11-05-2015, 18:10
well the core sim racers are the ones who most likely do have these setups... us core really stick to this genre and aren't just a hit and quit it when cod comes out.

i mean i run into very few people now and days who don't have triple monitors on iracing or dk2. usually if someone doesn't they just can't quite afford it...but 1080p surround at 60hz is so dang cheap now the barrier to entry is so low... i mean i have triple rog swifts at 7680x1440 144hz gsync and I have a lot more money invested as well as a dk2 and it just suckkssss not having proper support. i mean SUCCKKSSS... especially when I can race all day long in iRacing or ac with excellent support (except vr on ac is still pita).

I guess looking on bright side I only spent $37 on pcars, where I got prob $200-$300+ in iRacing but only $45 in ac(alpha access + latest dlc), but like I said earlier I got $31 invested into an alpha of dirt rally and it's better off than what we got here right now.

bah

bring me our support! I really am enjoying it, except for losing control of my car on starts and in the pits... irritates the hell out of me lol ;)

DayGlow
11-05-2015, 18:15
Run triple screens as well, I also run a low fov as the video pointed out that it's just more natural looking. Maybe since I come from the world of flight sims which never had proper 3 screen rendering that I'm used to the single stretch view. It's annoying if you consintrate on the side screens, but if you consintrate on the middle screen and let the side screens fill your peripheral then it doesn't bother me.

Would be nice to have proper rendering on all 3 screens, but it's not a game killer for me.

Khyber GT
11-05-2015, 18:17
Run triple screens as well, I also run a low fov as the video pointed out that it's just more natural looking. Maybe since I come from the world of flight sims which never had proper 3 screen rendering that I'm used to the single stretch view. It's annoying if you consintrate on the side screens, but if you consintrate on the middle screen and let the side screens fill your peripheral then it doesn't bother me.

Would be nice to have proper rendering on all 3 screens, but it's not a game killer for me.

yeah having to run really low fov as well so the dash isn't 20ft away but doing so means I can't even see the right window or if wheel is on right side, left window and the driver mirror is half as big as the left or right monitor lol

Mahjik
11-05-2015, 18:22
yeah having to run really low fov as well so the dash isn't 20ft away but doing so means I can't even see the right window or if wheel is on right side, left window and the driver mirror is half as big as the left or right monitor lol

And that should be correct. I know when driving my real cars, I have to turn my head to see my right mirror (LHD). If you have a proper FOV in your sims, it should be the same.

Khyber GT
11-05-2015, 18:28
mirrors yes but your peripheral vision in real life keeps you aware of your situational awareness because you can see out each side window slightly without turning your head. exact same way i have it setup in other sims

Mahjik
11-05-2015, 18:35
mirrors yes but your peripheral vision in real life keeps you aware of your situational awareness because you can see out each side window slightly without turning your head. exact same way i have it setup in other sims

I'm not sure what your track experience is like, but in my real life race car, my view is limited. My head is in a head/neck restraint system and I'm strapped into a full containment racing chair. What I have to use is a large center rear mirror and adding a bubble side mirror. Seeing anything on the non-driving side has to be done using the center rear mirror as you just really can't move your head to look to the right.

http://mahjik.homestead.com/files/hosting/Honda/2014_04_MAM/20140426-John_Hiatt_IV-0611-2.jpg

In sim racing, I rely on the "Look Back" capability to see where cars are at approaching a braking zone (i.e. is someone going to dive bomb). Really after that, you are already committed to your line.

Khyber GT
11-05-2015, 19:33
perhaps it depends on each car/seat how much you can see out the right window? I have to admit, while I've never drove a race car closest thing I can relate to would be the 2015 mustang gt I currently own and a 350z i've owned...both where I have peripheral vision out of the right window without turning my head. then again, i never have a helmet on. my biggest complaint with a dk2 is that I can't see out the right side either because of no peripheral vision. so i can't comment on my actual rl race car scenario because I've never had that opportunity. I was under the impression you could at least see a tiny fraction of the right window in your peripheral vision, but i reckon a helmet could block that.

Khyber GT
11-05-2015, 19:49
just the difference. all shots are at 7680x1440. monitors are on a an obutto r3v sim rig, so about less than 2ft away from my face. pulled in probably near 45 deg on side monitors. I hate not being able to see some out of the right window

pay attention two first two screenshots from pcars and ac... same car. just support and no support. i know you all know this, but just showing.

pcars

http://i.imgur.com/axmbmkZ.jpg

Assetto Corsa (this is actually a picture of my monitors, apparently don't have a screenshot in the cockpit of ac with triples)

http://i.imgur.com/h1WOIu4.jpg?1

iRacing

http://i.imgur.com/Vk05gIg.jpg

Dirt Rally

http://i.imgur.com/ZLYbi1u.jpg

Mahjik
11-05-2015, 22:29
just the difference. all shots are at 7680x1440. monitors are on a an obutto r3v sim rig, so about less than 2ft away from my face. pulled in probably near 45 deg on side monitors. I hate not being able to see some out of the right window

I would say that I would be ecstatic if I had that much of a view from inside of a race car.. ;) Maybe a DTM car since they are seated nearly where the rear seats would be, but that would probably be about it.

Keithb23
12-05-2015, 02:11

C'mon Mahjik, don't start with that. Triple screen support should have been included for the release, and we as a community have every right to request it as loudly, often, and vociferously as we please. Just because SMS doesn't want to hear it doesn't mean we can't keep requesting it. I would very much like to see proper triple screen support included in the game as soon as possible. I understand that the devs have serious problems to look at with the xbone, but that doesn't preclude members of the community from requesting other features that were left out and should have been included. So I hope as many people as possible post in this thread just to let SMS know how much leaving this feature off of the release version of the game is missed. C'mon people, get those replies and likes in!;)

DayGlow
12-05-2015, 03:31

TrackIR FTW. Guess I'm used to looking at the middle screen while turning my head to look side to side. If I had my monitors setup so that I'm actually looking at the side monitors for actual detail instead of just peripheral vision the stretching would be really annoying.

koikeeper67
12-05-2015, 04:18
Well here is a very simple way to put it if I had known that there was no triple screen support I WOULD NOT HAVE BOUGHT THE GAME. And I bet I am not the only sim racer that would have changed their purchase decision if they had known. I know we area small community, us dedicated maybe a little nuts triple screen owners but I bet if you took out a few thousand copies of PCars that is a hit to the bottom line. Not just to the current Pcars but any future planned versions as well, I know I will take a much closer look next time out.

iRacing has over 50,000 paid up current members and I bet half of them have triple screens and I bet half of that group bought Pcars all of a sudden we are not such a small group any more now are we. Also think of the lost sales due to the fact a lot of guys were waiting to see what the first reviews said, and now they are not buying it because of this one missing feature.

dbo35
12-05-2015, 04:51
edit: I failed at name recognition. My apologies.

Micas
12-05-2015, 06:47
Triple screen support is important to me as well, and the devs are all sim junkies and if they could snap their fingers and have it done tomorrow, they would. Thing is, SMS just can't win in the debate over this feature or that feature, or it's 'simcade' or too hard.. whatever. If they'd held the release until the fraction of the user base (me included) was placated with iR style triple screen support, the 99% that don't use triple screens would have gone berserk. It would also have had very severe ramifications on the business side.. i.e., paying the bills and such.

It will get done. There's no delivery date yet, and while I'm sure they have an estimate, having been burned in the press and forums every time a time frame slips makes them naturally shy about publishing it. Such is the nature of commercial software development. Honestly, when I look at the mega-game releases over the past few years, pCARS is remarkably complete by comparison and it doesn't have a 50m budget. It was months until BF4 was somewhat playable on PC. Dragon Age Origins was a mess for a while. Sim City didn't even run when it was released. These were all huge budget games.

It's a real shame that sim junkies are beating up a studio that offered everyone with lunch money a chance to help make a game, and do it without the interference of the EA juggernaut. Had it been an EA game, there would be next to no post-release support, and certainly no new features.

ed- I just looked it up, and the BF4 budget was ~100m. It doesn't have triple screen support. pCARS was made on about 4% of the budget of BF4. It will get triple screen support.

MysterG
12-05-2015, 06:52
Mods :

The game is released now. You are now talking to paying customers. It is not acceptable to tell them to shut up and wait. Deal with the questions like you should or find another hobby.

Yes, I just registered and this is my first post - the moderator replies in this thread are ridiculous.

Thanks

Neither of us have told anyone to "shut up and wait" ... leave your attitude at the door for your second post please.

DayGlow
12-05-2015, 07:17
Triple screen support is important to me as well, and the devs are all sim junkies and if they could snap their fingers and have it done tomorrow, they would. Thing is, SMS just can't win in the debate over this feature or that feature, or it's 'simcade' or too hard.. whatever. If they'd held the release until the fraction of the user base (me included) was placated with iR style triple screen support, the 99% that don't use triple screens would have gone berserk. It would also have had very severe ramifications on the business side.. i.e., paying the bills and such.

It will get done. There's no delivery date yet, and while I'm sure they have an estimate, having been burned in the press and forums every time a time frame slips makes them naturally shy about publishing it. Such is the nature of commercial software development. Honestly, when I look at the mega-game releases over the past few years, pCARS is remarkably complete by comparison and it doesn't have a 50m budget. It was months until BF4 was somewhat playable on PC. Dragon Age Origins was a mess for a while. Sim City didn't even run when it was released. These were all huge budget games.

It's a real shame that sim junkies are beating up a studio that offered everyone with lunch money a chance to help make a game, and do it without the interference of the EA juggernaut. Had it been an EA game, there would be next to no post-release support, and certainly no new features.

ed- I just looked it up, and the BF4 budget was ~100m. It doesn't have triple screen support. pCARS was made on about 4% of the budget of BF4. It will get triple screen support.

Well realistically for most games triple screen support means having the HUD on the center screen and nothing else. There are hacks and mods to support this since most developers don't bother. I have to say that simracing is the only genre that has triplescreen support by devs at all. Wish more studios would do this in more types of games.

pitti
12-05-2015, 10:03
And that should be correct. I know when driving my real cars, I have to turn my head to see my right mirror (LHD). If you have a proper FOV in your sims, it should be the same.

If your side monitors are the same angle as your middle screen is, (so you did not rotate the side monitors) and you sit close enough then you are right. You can see the side mirrors as you could see them in the real world.
I think the bigest problem is that we use the side monitors rotated angle 40-45 deg. It looks false in that way.

Rob Prange
12-05-2015, 10:13
Mods :

The game is released now. You are now talking to paying customers. It is not acceptable to tell them to shut up and wait. Deal with the questions like you should or find another hobby.

Yes, I just registered and this is my first post - the moderator replies in this thread are ridiculous.

Thanks

Not a single moderator has even posted in this thread prior to your posting so this is very much uncalled for.

The gold-colored members are WMD members, not moderators (those are orange).

Khyber GT
12-05-2015, 14:20

yeah but you forget, bf4 has proper fov for mp and the menus are on the center screen....it also doesn't stretch until the far ends of the left and right screen because it's natural fisheye. even without full triple support it's still better. same thing with dirty rally, no support there but it's better because of the fov and menus are on the center screen.

DayGlow
12-05-2015, 15:10
yeah but you forget, bf4 has proper fov for mp and the menus are on the center screen....it also doesn't stretch until the far ends of the left and right screen because it's natural fisheye. even without full triple support it's still better. same thing with dirty rally, no support there but it's better because of the fov and menus are on the center screen.

The fisheye in BF is the same as pCars as they both are rendering a single viewport across the 3 screens. pCars maybe more stretched for you because you are running a wider FOV, but there is no difference in rendering between the 2.

Also for me pCars has its menus centered on the middle screen. Dirt rally and pCars are about the same right now. Only games that render 3 separate viewport are different.

Built350camaro2
12-05-2015, 15:34
Pretty sure in my real car I have to turn my head to see the passenger side mirror. That view in AC is wrong.

Andrewgov
12-05-2015, 16:16
...I'm also quite amazed at how people find an incorrect FOV setup satisfactory, surely if you are willing to purchase a triple monitor setup you would put some time into researching how to correctly set this up. Visuals, as one would imagine, are incredibly important at creating immersion and correct setup is paramount to fooling your mind into this. This is why simulation titles such as iRacing and Assetto Corsa have added in the ability to compensate for the bezzel thickness, angles of screens and distance from drivers eyes. This compensation creates visuals that apear to fool your eyes into feeling that you're in the cockpit of the car looking out.

Based on the advice being provided in some threads, many are misinformed or underestimate the value of this in a "sim"...
*edit* based on some of the advice on this thread aswell. It's beyond me how these simmers with triple monitors still don't understand how triple monitors work. Some comparing it to fps games :culpability: come on now.

I rest my case.

Khyber GT
12-05-2015, 18:25
yeah exactly the triple screen support in bf4 is nothing like pcars... you got less on the screen and the gun is on the center screen in bf4 lol...vs an entire cockpit on 3 screens in racing... much different. the stretch is less obvious in shooters with eyefinity/surround because of the higher fov. still exists yes but not as bad as pcars which has more visuals on the screen like an entire cockpit on each screen

PROTOCOL
16-05-2015, 14:06

I noticed when I go to movement tab, to check to see if "Show Helmet" is set to yes... it's grayed out with a lock image and says yes. I have no way to change it and still no helmet shows when in helmet view. Any reason why the option would be locked?

SlickReed
16-05-2015, 14:09
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcW8kXB19oQ

Eric Rowland
16-05-2015, 19:23
Nice lap Slick!

pitti
17-05-2015, 17:25
Very nice... can you tell us your FOV settings, and the angle of side monitors?

Failrunner
17-05-2015, 17:31
We need that? Ah crap now I have to buy two more monitors! =P

MaXyM
17-05-2015, 17:39
I noticed when I go to movement tab, to check to see if "Show Helmet" is set to yes... it's grayed out with a lock image and says yes. I have no way to change it and still no helmet shows when in helmet view. Any reason why the option would be locked?

Because they didn't manage how to display helmet on 3 monitors. So they disabled it for wide ratio displays.
Indeed, in case of 3 monitors, most of side-monitors would be masked in some way.

Peter
17-05-2015, 19:22
Hi all, I was driving AC already more than 1000 hours and awaited eagerly the release of pCars. I was rubbing my eyes in disbelief when I tried to set the angle of view like in AC. Not possible. That is a no go for such a game. Please devs make it possible to all triple screen user, there are many and without a proper FOV there is no real immersion, the view is distorted. Thanks.

RedDragonV09
21-05-2015, 22:34
This is a no no as well. What is this junk?

funknerraw
25-05-2015, 21:17
This is a no no as well. What is this junk?

Yeah, besides not being able to set the angles of the monitors, the telemetry stretching and spreading across all 3 screens, as well as many other things only showing on the left monitor during races, such as any warnings or flags, is my biggest annoyance. Can't wait for proper triple screen support.

McErono
02-06-2015, 18:21
still waiting... know a lot of ppl that wont buy pcars just because real triple support is missing.

RaceBabySr
02-06-2015, 19:01
still waiting... know a lot of ppl that wont buy pcars just because real triple support is missing.

Some of us already bought this game without knowing that SMS overlooked this critical "immersive" feature for triple screen users looking to enhance the "sim" experience. I heard news of an upcoming patch and still no triple screen support.

SMS talked much about being a different type of developer who listens to consumers...so far that has just been talk. However, they already have my money so there is no real incentive for them to make things right.

Mahjik
02-06-2015, 19:55

SMS talked much about being a different type of developer who listens to consumers...so far that has just been talk. However, they already have my money so there is no real incentive for them to make things right.

Triple screen support is not nearly as important as the list of fixes they are delivering with the upcoming patch. When the more important issues are addressed, things like triple screen support will get more focus.

mattcwell
03-06-2015, 01:04
Some of us already bought this game without knowing that SMS overlooked this critical "immersive" feature for triple screen users looking to enhance the "sim" experience. I heard news of an upcoming patch and still no triple screen support.

First of all, I have a triple screen setup and find that just using the Nvidia Surround is a pretty darned immersive experience. Would I like a proper triple screen setup? Of course I would. I also realize that Slightly Mad is a small studio taking on a huge project, and prioritization forced it to the back burner. It doesn't take much away from the experience, and doesn't define whether it's a sim or not. I am a real world pilot that also uses flight sim, and now Lockheed martin's Prepar3d. This is by all definitions a sim, and is actually used in real simulators, and still doesn't have triple screen support. So don't try and tell me that because you can't distort the image to compensate for the angle of your monitors that it is not a sim.

To your second point, PCars was built from the ground-up based on advice from their consumers, and what they wanted. They are addressing as much of the initial complaints as possible, releasing their 4th patch in about a month. The head of the studio actually addresses complaints on these forums, something you won't find with 99% of game developers. So how you can say that their claims of listening to consumers is all talk is beyond me.

I guess some people will bitch and complain no matter what. I would be willing to bet that you have never written a single line of code in your life, and have no idea what it actually takes to make a game of this magnitude from the ground up. You're part of the ME generation. It's all about what you want, and you want it NOW!

E30_Hntsvl
03-06-2015, 01:44
I like the way it works just fine. Surround does a good job, as mattcwell says, and I don't use much side angle on my triples. With the bezel adjustment in the Configure Surround set correctly, and a bezel corrected resolution, I get much better line up on passing objects on the side monitors than Asetto Corsa, which I was always messing with. I have my left side monitor behind the main, with the bezels lined up so you only see one, and it gives the effect of a side window, and some depth, in most cars.

TenthDan
03-06-2015, 01:56
Triple screen support is not nearly as important as the list of fixes they are delivering with the upcoming patch. When the more important issues are addressed, things like triple screen support will get more focus.

To add to this. Triple screen support is already being worked on. When it is ready will depend on priorities but has already had some work and will continue to be worked on as possible.

spinkick
03-06-2015, 02:14
Its entirely playable with tripple screen as it is now. I'd love to have all the menus and prompts on the main screen and all that, but its not like its an unplayable mess. I think people think they need to throw a fit or be ignored.

DayGlow
03-06-2015, 02:55
As a triple screen user I agree that full support is a 'nice to have', but isn't central to enjoying the game.

Hodgy
03-06-2015, 04:17
Looking forward to the iracing style triple screen support, but I do understand you need to take care of the bugs first..

Great job guys, keep pushing you will get there... :)

RamjetX
04-06-2015, 04:03
I'm not sure what your track experience is like, but in my real life race car, my view is limited. My head is in a head/neck restraint system and I'm strapped into a full containment racing chair. What I have to use is a large center rear mirror and adding a bubble side mirror. Seeing anything on the non-driving side has to be done using the center rear mirror as you just really can't move your head to look to the right.

http://mahjik.homestead.com/files/hosting/Honda/2014_04_MAM/20140426-John_Hiatt_IV-0611-2.jpg

In sim racing, I rely on the "Look Back" capability to see where cars are at approaching a braking zone (i.e. is someone going to dive bomb). Really after that, you are already committed to your line.

An fellow S2000 comrade ... I salut you.

spinkick
04-06-2015, 04:10
My main worry is rendering all 3 screens as a separate process may just kill the performance. They may be worried about that.

RamjetX
04-06-2015, 05:41
Running a GTX970 on triple 1080p monitors with 12GB DDR3 and a i7 920 (stock clocks) and it's silky smooth.

V-Sync is on and holding steady at what ever it is above 60fps which I'm really happy about. Game settings are a mixture of mostly High and Ultra and slowely increasing those to all Ultra on each start of a session.

Performance for 1080p gaming is just fine on a GTX970 and a reasonably slow and dated i7 CPU.

RaceBabySr
04-06-2015, 18:41
First of all, I have a triple screen setup and find that just using the Nvidia Surround is a pretty darned immersive experience. Would I like a proper triple screen setup? Of course I would. I also realize that Slightly Mad is a small studio taking on a huge project, and prioritization forced it to the back burner. It doesn't take much away from the experience, and doesn't define whether it's a sim or not. I am a real world pilot that also uses flight sim, and now Lockheed martin's Prepar3d. This is by all definitions a sim, and is actually used in real simulators, and still doesn't have triple screen support. So don't try and tell me that because you can't distort the image to compensate for the angle of your monitors that it is not a sim.

To your second point, PCars was built from the ground-up based on advice from their consumers, and what they wanted. They are addressing as much of the initial complaints as possible, releasing their 4th patch in about a month. The head of the studio actually addresses complaints on these forums, something you won't find with 99% of game developers. So how you can say that their claims of listening to consumers is all talk is beyond me.

I guess some people will bitch and complain no matter what. I would be willing to bet that you have never written a single line of code in your life, and have no idea what it actually takes to make a game of this magnitude from the ground up. You're part of the ME generation. It's all about what you want, and you want it NOW!

You would lose the bet on my coding experience given that I have created, tested and, published software in the gaming industry. You might have paid for some of my work not knowing it.

It is a ME generation when I am spending MY money...and given that I produce software myself, I know what real commitment is to customer satisfaction.

You seem to talk "real tough" on a forum board, but I figure I would enlightened you to help with that small mentality you wield in a reckless manner.

koikeeper67
19-06-2015, 16:50
I have not played Pcars for some time now I just cant get over the BAD FOV which is unfortunate as the game (and until it gets full triple support that is all it will be) looks great even the bad frame rates dont bother me as much as the lack of triple support. Come on SMS lets get this fixed, at least give us a bone and let us know that you are actually working on it.

Erwan960
27-07-2015, 11:39
Here's a quick overview of triplescreens rendering on different simulators. Only Assetto Corsa and iRacing offer an independent rendering for each screen (45°).

http://img11.hostingpics.net/pics/1175373screenssmall.jpg

Full resolution : 5880 x 1080 (dl here (http://img11.hostingpics.net/pics/2496623screens.jpg))

Project CARS needs an improvement at this level :) !

spinkick
08-08-2015, 21:29
Running a GTX970 on triple 1080p monitors with 12GB DDR3 and a i7 920 (stock clocks) and it's silky smooth.

V-Sync is on and holding steady at what ever it is above 60fps which I'm really happy about. Game settings are a mixture of mostly High and Ultra and slowely increasing those to all Ultra on each start of a session.

Performance for 1080p gaming is just fine on a GTX970 and a reasonably slow and dated i7 CPU.

Rendering all 3 screens in a separate process may beg to differ on this game. You are basically running 3 different game sessions at once. Its the only way to make the two side monitors look correct.

I wish they would talk more about 3 monitor support.

robnkel
09-08-2015, 08:27
that picture comparison above is an excellent example of whats needed, imo AC gets it spot on.

TrevorAustin
09-08-2015, 09:22
that picture comparison above is an excellent example of whats needed, imo AC gets it spot on.

I'm being dumb, please explain the differences? To me rre looks best of them?
I'm trying to get triples looking right too so it might help.

robnkel
09-08-2015, 11:01
the top two both side monitors will stretch the images that are shown, if cars drive by they become stretched. for me i drive in cockpit mode only, i try to simulate the image you would actually see in real life so why not have it as close as possible. AC uses a triple screen app which imo is brilliant. just look at the drivers side mirrors, they're the wrong shape, in rre and PCars...AC and iracing have it accurate. also with true triple monitor support you can see the passenger side mirror..with regards to size of monitors, seat position etc.
oh and you wont get it looking right in PC until they introduce true triple screen rendering, you can get it acceptable thats all. in AC you can run triples in single screen 5760x1080, it gets stretched and then back to triple screen 5760x1080 with the triple screen app adjusted correctly to compare your images, if you have AC that is.

TrevorAustin
09-08-2015, 11:17
the top two both side monitors will stretch the images that are shown, if cars drive by they become stretched. for me i drive in cockpit mode only, i try to simulate the image you would actually see in real life so why not have it as close as possible. AC uses a triple screen app which imo is brilliant. just look at the drivers side mirrors, they're the wrong shape....AC and iracing have it accurate. also with true triple monitor support you can see the passenger side mirror..with regards to size of monitors, seat position etc.

Ok, yes i see what you mean now, and the steeper the angle of thw outside screens the worse it it, with only a small angle it looks great, but I've just rearranged mine to about 25 to 30 degrees and it does look pretty odd.

robnkel
09-08-2015, 11:49
yeah i run triple 27's at 5960x1080 in pcars, monitor angles at 40 degrees, what size are your monitors.

koikeeper67
09-08-2015, 22:44
The head of the studio actually addresses complaints on these forums, something you won't find with 99% of game developers. So how you can say that their claims of listening to consumers is all talk is beyond me.

I have yet to see a post where the head of the studio has said anything about proper triple screen support,If there is one please show it to me. It is almost like they are ducking the issue because they don't plan on fixing it.

Umer Ahmad
10-08-2015, 00:03
Over in the old WMD forum, the Game Director (not Ian) mentioned they'd like to get "iRacing-style" 3x screen support (with correct FOV) into Project CARS.

We see a new trend in patch3.0, more features and less bug fixing. So we can expect to see a natural acceleration of this trend, more features and less bug fixing (as the bugs are eventually all killed off).

BTW, 3x screen support is considered a FEATURE not a bug. It's not something to be "FIXED" since they don't consider the current 3x rendering "broken". It's what they found acceptable for the release and iRacing-style 3x screen support is more a feature that they intend to deliver post-release. Keep in mind that the population % of 3x screen Project CARS players is well within single digits (remember that the bulk of salses is on consoles). It's not a big sales driver. But still something important they intend to deliver in due time.

TrevorAustin
10-08-2015, 00:08
Only 22s, was thinking about going to 24s or maybe a single 40-50"

Although i play in the rift more, triples are better than i expected. Should imagine quite spectacular in 27"

spinkick
11-08-2015, 16:09
The nice thing about this kind of feature is that they could use it on pcars2

spinkick
18-08-2015, 22:56
Do you guys think we will realistically have a better triple monitor setup for pcars1? It works as it is now, but I'd of course love more.

adamallen2
19-08-2015, 00:29
still nothing? Guess I'll check back in another month.

TrevorAustin
19-08-2015, 07:03
The main pc dev has confirmed triple screen is one of his primary focus points in the next few weeks, so that sounds very positive. Although i hope he does oculus first, but there's probably more triple screen players, a lot more.

Bealdor
19-08-2015, 07:14
Threads merged. Latest news here:

Hey - I'm currently on vacation (back Monday) and Ian is in the middle of a house move....

I wasn't around for the testing of Patch 3.0 so it's entirely possible something was broken with the Rift in the patch finalling process. But Stephen and myself extensively tested the improvements last month and they were a step forward. I noticed that you said in a prior post that you couldn't actually drive around the track because of some setup issue, so I'm not entirely sure how you've come to your 25% figure - also measuring GPU usage with VSync enabled /(like Rift has forced) is the cause of a lot of confusion : if we optimise the renderer, GPU usage will go down in the same scenario from one build to the next....

Anyway, FWIW my focus when I return will be on things like Oculus, better Triple Screen support and finishing our DX12 implementation in the short term.

koikeeper67
20-08-2015, 03:55
Well that is some positive news, The first glimmer of hope.

Hangon
28-08-2015, 00:04
As soon as it is implemented I will be buying Pcars,only thing that is holding me back right now

Juhu_0815
29-08-2015, 17:59
I hope it comes soon. I am also disappointed with my triple screen set-up and the distortions.

Regards
Mike

Avenga76
06-09-2015, 01:03
This is reposted from here http://www.isrtv.com/forums/topic/19244-bad-triple-monitor-support-in-project-cars-explained/

I had to cut some of it out because there was some words that this forum doesn't like (Can't figure it out but something is being blocked by the profanity filter, go read the linked post for me info)

I run my side 60 degrees which gives me a total horizontal FOV of 180 degrees. For this to work you need to render the screens separately. AC, rF1 & 2, iRacing, GSCE all let you do this. This is my POV in AC.

http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/ab274/avenga76/Racing%20rig/IMG_0045_zpst8kvqhgn.jpg

If I back the camera out you can see that I can see almost back to the B pillar (In some cars I can)

http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/ab274/avenga76/Racing%20rig/IMG_0017_zpsjyxzhomf.jpg

Here is a more top down view of my monitors in GSCE, you can see that in this car I can see the B pillar on the left hand side and the right B pillar is just out of frame. This is great for wheel you are passing people because you can see out of your side windows.

http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/ab274/avenga76/Racing%20rig/IMG_0808_zpsg4vxbm9q.jpg

Now this is Project Cars. Because the screens aren't rendered seperately I need to flatten out the monitors so I is one flat image, this is how Project cars and codemasters games work. If I leave my monitors on an angle then it will be massively warped because it is not taking in to account the extreme monitor angle.

http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/ab274/avenga76/Racing%20rig/IMG_0817_zpsjv6lhquy.jpg

So you can see from that Project Cars photo that my FOV is correct, My steering wheel is in the correct spot and everything is the right size but without the wrap around screens then the horizontal FOV is terrible. I can't even see the mirror on the left hand side. Compare that to my earlier photos where I can see all the way back to the B pillars and you can see what my problem with Project Cars.

I can't race with such a limited FOV and with the monitors flat then the edges look so far away. With my angled setup each monitor is perpendicular to me and each monitor is exactly 530mm from my eyes. My screens are very close, there is just enough room behind my wheel for my fingers on the shifters but this lets me get the full 180 degrees FOV (iRacings Max FOV is 179 so that is what I build my rig for)

http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/ab274/avenga76/IMG_0860_zpsvxr9wemc.jpg

The problem is that Project CARS is trying to project a flat image on to an angled surface without correcting for that angle

I have a full 180 degrees of horizontal FOV. basically of you sit in my cockpit and turn your head 90 degrees then you will be looking at the edge of my screen. It is way bigger than your peripheral vision covers, you actually need to turn you head right over to see the edge of my monitors.

On a single camera it would be more like this

http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/ab274/avenga76/1camv2_zpstm6werwi.png

And on 3 cameras it would be more like this (When looking straight at the side screens the virtual camera would be positioned right behind my eyeballs)

http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/ab274/avenga76/3camv2_zpsnye8jkmp.png

Here are some screenshots from my setup and you will see how different they are. I used a road car because the dashboard give a really good visual indication of the problem. I am using Assetto Corsa as an example of proper triple monitor support but I can do the exact some monitor setup in iRacing, Game Stock Car, rFactor 1 and 2 and Euro Truck Simulator 2. I am using the AMG Merc in both games using the same vertical FOV

AC

http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/ab274/avenga76/ACvpc1_zps2ado0los.jpg

Project Cars

http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/ab274/avenga76/ACvPC2_zpsfi4logop.jpg

Another shot on the straight

AC

http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/ab274/avenga76/ACvPC3_zpstoxrib5s.jpg

Project Cars

http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/ab274/avenga76/ACvPC4_zpsyfzggtdl.jpg

It is a bit hard to see in the big screenshot so here is a zoomed in shot of the intersection of the monitors.

AC, You will notice here the side view is steeply angled in relation to the center view, this is to account for the 60 angle of my side monitors. You can also see a little gap for the bezel correction which is done in game (This is important so the game can know exactly where to put the 60 degree bend in the image) If you look at the seam line in the dashboard you will see it doesn't look straight at all but when you display this on my angled monitors then it looks perfectly straight.

http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/ab274/avenga76/ACvPC13_zpshm0xvdvh.jpg

Project CARS, You will notice that the game does nothing to compensate for my angled side monitors. When viewed on a flat angle like this then the seam line looks straight but when you display this on my angled monitors then it doesn't look straight at all because of the angle of my monitors.

http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/ab274/avenga76/ACvPC14_zpsr8tbwwvy.jpg

It is a bit hard to see what this really means when you are looking at it on a flat monitor like we are in the forum so I will show you some photos comparing AC to Project Cars when they are on my angled monitors.

For this example I used the AMG Merc again. I adjusted the vertical FOV to be the same in both games.

This is my center view from AC

http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/ab274/avenga76/ACvPC5_zpsagkpjsy8.jpg

And this is Project CARS

http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/ab274/avenga76/ACvPC6_zpsxmpgrtgn.jpg

They look pretty similar so you know I have the right vertical FOV in both games, and the center screens on both games look pretty much the same.

Now this is when Project CARS breaks down. If I turn my head and look sideways look what happens.

In AC I can look to the right and I can see out my side window and I can see my side mirror, remember I have a 180 degree FOV so this is with my head turned quite far to the right. Basically everything in the virtual world is exactly where it would be in real life, I need to move my head the exact same amount as I would in a real car to look out the side window.

http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/ab274/avenga76/ACvPC7_zpsm9hlddwv.jpg

Now in Project CARS. When I look to the right you will see that the dashboard is all warped and stretched, I can only just see the other side of the front window. I can't see the side mirror or side window at all.

http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/ab274/avenga76/ACvPC8_zpsbtoyospe.jpg

So lets look at how this affects a corner.

Here in AC I can look out and see the corner to the right, I can spot my apex for this corner and the next. It looks exactly how it would in real life

http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/ab274/avenga76/ACvPC9_zpsq5kja1vj.jpg

Now lets look at that same corner again is Project CARS, because it doesn't correct for the side monitor angles the corner looks much sharper. I can see the apex for the next corner but it is right over the edge of my monitor so I need to turn my head 90 degrees to see it when in reality I would only have to move my head about 30-45 degrees to see the next corners apex. They makes it look like this corner is a really sharp hairpin instead of a more gentle corner.

http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/ab274/avenga76/ACvPC10_zpss4lkzqxx.jpg

Now here is a more close up view looking out over to the right and we can see how the dash looks.

In AC

http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/ab274/avenga76/ACvPC11_zpscbgnknfc.jpg

In Project CARS

http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/ab274/avenga76/ACvPC12_zpslfgonkfk.jpg

Here is an animated GIF switching between both games. I left the monitor frame in shot so you have a reference point to how angled my monitors really are. AC is the one where the dashboard looks straight in game and you can see the side pillar. Project CARS is the one with the warped dash and gear indicator.

http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/ab274/avenga76/ACvPC_zpslyyiwjkh.gif

I recorded a video of the difference because that shows the difference really well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QQO4pQbHT0

In the AC part of the video the dashboard looks straight, you can see the door over to the right just like in a real car. In Project Cars everything looks distorted, the side mirror and dash look massively stretched. The don't vanish off in to the distance like in AC, you don't have that depth in Project CARS. In AC it feels like I could reach right inside to monitor and unlock the passenger door like I would IRL.

If we talk about horizontal FOV then in AC I have 180 degrees, 60 degrees FOV on each monitor angled at 60 degrees (I love how everything is 60 degrees, go maths!!!!) Now in Project CARS to get my center screen to look correct then I need to lower the horizontal FOV down to 108 degrees. Then that 108 FOV is being pseudo stretched over a 180 degree display which is why everything looks so stretched and warped. It is not only the perspective that is wrong it also makes it looks stretched. If I had my monitors flat then it wouldn't looks as stretched because if my monitors were flat then the far edge of my monitors would be a metre away from my eyes but with them angled the far edge of the monitor is only just over half a metre away.

This makes Project CARS unplayable for me. I actually started to feel ill just driving the car into position for the screenshots because it does your head in, none of the horizon lines are straight in Project CARS and you get wicked motion sickness because everything is so warped and twisted. I mean it looks bad in these screenshots and photos but when you are moving it is actually nauseating bad.

2stains
08-09-2015, 02:08
For your first post that was epic . I'd have to agree with you and can only dream of a setup like yours it looks awesome . Only my misses would have a fit with the cables. lol.

pitti
08-09-2015, 06:37
Awesome post, thank you...

Hodgy
08-09-2015, 06:39
Agree great post..

Fanapryde
08-09-2015, 09:27
@Avenga76:
Great post, thanks !

Glockshna
08-09-2015, 12:44
Never fully realized the difference until this post.

Namron
08-09-2015, 18:58
Excellent Post & Very well Explained & Shown Avenga76 :encouragement:...

Has been especially helpful to me as a total NOOb to triple screen set ups & Who has just recently been looking into going to three screens from my now single 27" Hanns.G monitor..... Was toying with the idea of going 3 x 27" Monitors & have on more than one occasion nearly hit the Buy button :nightmare:.....

Was mainly going for the 3 screens just for this game..... But I think I may well wait a bit now & see how things go as regards to any improvements that SMS make to this particular problem..... AH Well!!!!!!!.... Saved a few Beer Tokens I guess (For now anyway :p) so will buy a second 980 for my main room PC I'm putting together....

Nam.....

ermo
08-09-2015, 19:59
Just a quick note that some of the devs also have custom built sim-rigs with -- you guessed it -- triple-screen setups. So it's not that the situation is unknown to them; it's simply a question of priorities.

We first talked about perspective corrected triple screen setups in 2011 @WMD. Looking at the amount of PC players (which, lest we forget, is the platform with the least amount of pCARS copies) with triple screen setups, there are simply other priorities to take care of before the team begins the task of creating a triple screen solution that rivals that of iRacing or AC (which is the target btw.).

If you look at my signature, you'll see that I too have a horse in this race. I'm just trying to help people gain some perspective on the economics of the feature and SMS necessarily having to balance the needs of the many against the needs of the few as it were.

Cheers :)

EDIT: I think the point above has been made by around five different people and some of those five have even made it several times. That's internet forums for you I guess.

I sometimes wish that forums would take a cue from issue tracking systems and implement an incremental search algorithm in the Title field of the new thread, which would then show threads + links to the relevant existing threads whenever the user starts typing his intended title name.

menos
09-09-2015, 05:52

EDIT: I think the point above has been made by around five different people and some of those five have even made it several times. That's internet forums for you I guess.

I sometimes wish that forums would take a cue from issue tracking systems and implement an incremental search algorithm in the Title field of the new thread, which would then show threads + links to the relevant existing threads whenever the user starts typing his intended title name.

Please have a look at how this issue is handled in the official Assetto Corsa forum. I think this implementation in the forums is the most sleek I have seen to deal with the same topics being opened in several threads over and over.
Basically while you type the header of a new thread the forum software does a live search for similar topics and will list these topics with links. Before finishing your post you can quickly check these suggested topics out and much less similar topics in the forum is the consequence.

Re; triple screens: I have raced with a triple screen setup since the very first Gran Turismo title for Playstation 3 enabled multi monitor support (with multiple PS3 + game copies).
When I saw what Forza Motorsports was like on the Xbox, I tried out Forza myself. I bought three Xbox + three Forza game copies and sourced the best wheel that would work both on the Xbox and PS3 (Fanatec CSR) and I used my triple screen setup with consoles.

My point is that it is not just the stereotypical geeky pimple faced thick glassed middle aged white male, who lives still with his parents, who is running a triple screen setup ;-)
There is also potential with console gamers who would be interested in running triple screens.
In my opinion triple proper triple screen support is such a basic feature, serious racing titles support (even Gran Turismo had it in the first multi monitor enabled version with proper single screen rendering many, many years ago).
I do see titles which do not fully support triple screens as inferior - that much even that many of these titles I did not buy although I had a loose interest in the genre and title.

pCars has many, many other great features and I do like it a lot (next to AC it is now my most used racing sim software).
Proper triple screen support would take away the cursing I have on my lips EVERY SINGLE TIME, I glance over to the right side mirror and see this godawful distorted image - even much worse, I have to turn my head a lot further as the distortion places the right side mirror about where normally the car's B-pillar would be.
Every time I have raced pCars extensively, going back to Assetto Corsa is a revelation in regard to it's cockpit view. It just is a difference between a video game and a very serious simulation software - that's how much of a difference it makes!

The issue with distorted triple monitors in pCars actual has me question my simulator cockpit setup on several occasions and had me thinking of getting rid of the triple screens in favor of one very large monitor (that's how much I like pCars) but then again overtime I went back to Assetto Corsa this wrong thinking was quickly cured.
As I mentioned earlier - even in Gran Turismo 5 and 6 which I raced extensively in triple screens the properly rendered view across multiple screens is a revelation.
Gran Truism was actually so very good at this back then already that I did in fact played with the thought of extending this to a 5 screen setup (5x 26" wide screens).
The only thing that held me back about this was that at that point no serious PC based sim would also support this and Gran Turismo had it's limitations as well (in the realism, the limited fields and the complete lack of mods).

Honestly - for me the argument about balancing economics of the many vs the few PC based triple screen users is not acceptable.
It is a feature as basic and important to serious sim racers as the support of analogue controls, the featuring of realistic pitstop functionality, the feature of being able to create car setups, save them, edit them, share them, the feature of having a detailed cockpit view with working instruments, …).

Excellent Post & Very well Explained & Shown Avenga76 :encouragement:...

Has been especially helpful to me as a total NOOb to triple screen set ups & Who has just recently been looking into going to three screens from my now single 27" Hanns.G monitor..... Was toying with the idea of going 3 x 27" Monitors & have on more than one occasion nearly hit the Buy button :nightmare:.....

Was mainly going for the 3 screens just for this game..... But I think I may well wait a bit now & see how things go as regards to any improvements that SMS make to this particular problem..... AH Well!!!!!!!.... Saved a few Beer Tokens I guess (For now anyway :p) so will buy a second 980 for my main room PC I'm putting together....

Nam.....

Don't be taken aback with your decision on triple screens. Even in racing sims which do not fully support triple screens as pCars, RRRE, Dirt Rally, etc … the addition of triple screens adds so much more immersion as your field of view is widened and much closer to what you would experience racing in a real car around track.
Even with the distorted side monitors you do gain awareness of opponents racing side by side (which you simply would not see with just one monitor), you gain awareness of track features (although due to the distortion you cannot make precise decisions about preparing for the corners you might see ahead).

In my opinion racing triple screens opposed to using a single monitor + TrackIR or using current technology VR headsets is no contest. Triple screens still feel more natural.

Fanapryde
09-09-2015, 06:20
^^ this !
Nicely written too !

I am trying to decide if or not I should take the PC path (now on PS4), mainly for triple screens. But the horrible stretched view and the gigantic side mirrors kept me from that (for now).
@Avenga 76 post made me aware that this is not the only flaw, the different looking corners come into play also. Did not think of that earlier.
I tried several sims with proper triple screen support and I would like to see that implemented in PCars as soon as possible.
The "balancing economics" argument which @Menos wrote about in above post does not stick for me either.

ermo
09-09-2015, 08:10
Please have a look at how this issue is handled in the official Assetto Corsa forum. I think this implementation in the forums is the most sleek I have seen to deal with the same topics being opened in several threads over and over.
Basically while you type the header of a new thread the forum software does a live search for similar topics and will list these topics with links. Before finishing your post you can quickly check these suggested topics out and much less similar topics in the forum is the consequence.

I'm going to refer this to the mods (Mahjik? You work in IT so would maybe be able to take this up with Rob, Vitt and the mods re. a cost-benefit analysis?)

My point is that it is not just the stereotypical geeky pimple faced thick glassed middle aged white male, who lives still with his parents, who is running a triple screen setup ;-)

(...)

Honestly - for me the argument about balancing economics of the many vs the few PC based triple screen users is not acceptable.
It is a feature as basic and important to serious sim racers as the support of analogue controls, the featuring of realistic pitstop functionality, the feature of being able to create car setups, save them, edit them, share them, the feature of having a detailed cockpit view with working instruments, …).

The "balancing economics" argument which @Menos wrote about in above post does not stick for me either.

Just because the economics argument "doesn't stick" with either of you doesn't make it less sound and valid. Look up the number of triple screen users on Steam Stats (http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey) for yourself if you are so inclined.

As I understand it, SMS has adopted a core game design tenet that states that if you take a product to market, you either have to be "first" or "best" on important feature X for you product to stand out. If you want my perspective on it, I think SMS looked at their priorities and their resources and went for "first" in the form of VR support in a racing title, rather than "best" in the form of triple-screen support, because there was more marketing value and potential in VR at trade shows than in triple-screen support (where iRacing and AC already have top-notch implementations which makes this more of a "me too" feature). One has to keep in mind that SMS is trying to bootstrap a new franchise here.

Given the reviews I've seen, the VR functionality has been a hit. The question is if people like you (and me!) who want triple-screen setups will eventually tire of waiting for it to be implemented and move on to other titles.

From a personal perspective, I wish proper, native triple-screen support had landed three years ago. From a WMD perspective, I understand why SMS prioritised as they did and have resolved to be patient and give SMS (and early adopters) time to find/report/fix bugs while I wait for them to find enough free, non-bug-fixing-cycles to implement triple-screen support and DX12. I'm not holding my breath though. :)

Fanapryde
09-09-2015, 08:41
Just because the economics argument "doesn't stick" with either of you doesn't make it less sound and valid. Look up the number of triple screen users on Steam Stats (http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey) for yourself if you are so inclined
Thanks for explaining.
I think the "vocal minority" is well aware of this, but it would be very nice to hear whether or not this feature is going to be implemented sooner or later, or is just going to be neglected because lack of interest.
Until now there is little or no feedback about this.

Will it come to PCars 1 ?
Will we have to wait for PCars 2 ?
Is it never going to happen ?

A hint would be nice to help me (and surely others) to decide if it's worth switching to PC.:rolleyes:

menos
09-09-2015, 09:13
Elmo, I fully understand and respect the economics perspective on this issue. First and foremost SMS does need to act as a company in for earning coins.

I am fully aware that high end triple screen support is not a feature in today's sim racing software that expands profit margin. It clearly is a technical feature that can be advertised and be used in marketing specs.
It is not a "me too feature" though - at no scale.

The definition of me-too features to me is to implement a product feature in ones product that has been established on the market already, yet as of lack of time and funds is implemented in a lack luster way.

One could describe pCar's current implementation of triple screen support as a "Me-Too feature" ;-)

I understand the value of industry shows and the power of showing well functioning VR at this moment (where consumers have no access to finished product VR system mind you).

Triple screens have been seen on shows for years, so everyone needs to show VR now (unfortunately with very little impact of actual product users at this point).

I for one would have loved the established technical standard of triple screens to be fully implemented and presentation grade VR being developed thereafter.
After all pCars has already one mightily beautiful feature of show - beautifully rendered time of day and weather with ever improving graphics.

I strongly hope that triple screen support will not fall off the table but that we will see a fixed time announcement about the status of the feature and it's implementation in short order (within 6-12month of announcement) - because, as mentioned many times it is indeed an established industry standard feature for serious sim racing software (not "just" "racing games").

At this point of time I do understand that although pCars 1 is a massive undertaking and the product is still very beautiful (because fresh) - it is a product though that has it's flaws and I am sure the SMS development team has all kettles at full steam, fixing bugs and working on added content while already being busy with the followup product.

Sales have been great - I truly hope the company's economical wellbeing and future is secured by that so we see the current product finished and the future product brought to market in a more mature state of development.

ermo
09-09-2015, 12:49
Ermo, I fully understand and respect the economics perspective on this issue. First and foremost SMS does need to act as a company in for earning coins.

I am fully aware that high end triple screen support is not a feature in today's sim racing software that expands profit margin. It clearly is a technical feature that can be advertised and be used in marketing specs.
It is not a "me too feature" though - at no scale.

The definition of me-too features to me is to implement a product feature in ones product that has been established on the market already, yet as of lack of time and funds is implemented in a lack luster way.

One could describe pCar's current implementation of triple screen support as a "Me-Too feature" ;-)

I understand the value of industry shows and the power of showing well functioning VR at this moment (where consumers have no access to finished product VR system mind you).

Triple screens have been seen on shows for years, so everyone needs to show VR now (unfortunately with very little impact of actual product users at this point).

Ah. That was not the "me too" definition I had in mind; I was making the point that having triple-screen functionality on par with iRacing's and AC's but at a later date would be a "follower" (i.e. "me too!") move, not a "leader" move. VR in a racing sim is a "leader" move in this context I think. But your point is well taken.

I for one would have loved the established technical standard of triple screens to be fully implemented and presentation grade VR being developed thereafter.
After all pCars has already one mightily beautiful feature of show - beautifully rendered time of day and weather with ever improving graphics.

I strongly hope that triple screen support will not fall off the table but that we will see a fixed time announcement about the status of the feature and it's implementation in short order (within 6-12month of announcement) - because, as mentioned many times it is indeed an established industry standard feature for serious sim racing software (not "just" "racing games").

At this point of time I do understand that although pCars 1 is a massive undertaking and the product is still very beautiful (because fresh) - it is a product though that has it's flaws and I am sure the SMS development team has all kettles at full steam, fixing bugs and working on added content while already being busy with the followup product.

Sales have been great - I truly hope the company's economical wellbeing and future is secured by that so we see the current product finished and the future product brought to market in a more mature state of development.

Hear hear.

FWIW, I don't think triple screens is 12 months away, but I also don't think it will land within 3 months from now. 5-8 months would be my (somewhat conservative) estimate, but time will tell as always. I would certainly be very surprised if it was taken off the table; in my experience, SMS has a track record of delivering on their promises in due time even if they are sometimes forced by factors beyond their control to compromise on their initial deliverables. But I get the distinct impression that they are way too proud of what they do to not want to improve on what they recognize to be sub-par implementations of features X, Y and Z. In fact, I'm banking on it. :)

Mahjik
09-09-2015, 15:29
Thanks for explaining.
I think the "vocal minority" is well aware of this, but it would be very nice to hear whether or not this feature is going to be implemented sooner or later, or is just going to be neglected because lack of interest.

We (moderators) have requested some more information from the dev team. Most of them have been on a much needed and deserved vacation so things have been more quiet over the past few weeks than it was earlier. The team has been putting in 16+ hour days since a few months before release and hadn't stopped until just recently for their break. When there is information known about multi-monitor support, we will post it (whether it is good or bad information).

FatnSlo
09-09-2015, 16:29
Full triple screen support was promised years ago. Tired of all these long posts about how we don't need it or it is not important. I thought it was one of the next things being worked on but now we may be looking at 5-8 months if ever? FFS! It took the coders of AC a whole evening to implement it!

Lawndarts
09-09-2015, 16:46
The economics of the "fewer" is also made more relevant by the fact that PC gamers have much higher retention, it's also the version most used in kiosks and motion simulation shops. This helps further solidify the brand as a mainstay. Your console botheren are off to the next new thing when it comes...

It's time for proper tipple screen support, it's not hard to implement unless the renderer needs to be rewritten to support it efficiently.

Thanks Mods for poking the dev team about this.

Sepp666
09-09-2015, 20:49
Ian by himself confirmed the implementation of proper triple screen support on July. Look at here:
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?35178-Project-CARS-PC-only-Patch-2-5-Release-notes&p=1051099&viewfull=1#post1051099
So, it must come!

Lawndarts
10-09-2015, 15:20
I think it's more a question of when, than if. If it's still months away then it's a bit of a false positive.

stephenb
10-09-2015, 21:18
@Avenga76: Very eloquently put. I didn't realise ETS2 had proper triple screen support, may have to check that out.

SwiftyOne
16-09-2015, 16:56
Hi guy's
I thought I would put this in here, rather then a new thread............I've just ordered a triple monitor stand from Ebuyer ....Looks quite strong, and supports monitors up to 28" ...I was looking for a stand some months ago, what I looked at, and support for 27" were well over £200...so @ 79.99 + Free Delivery, I couldn't resist http://pcars2.wmdportal.com/images/smilies/wink.png

EDIT: Link removed, as offer had ended, price is now £179.00....If you still wish to look PM me ;)

rocafella1978
16-09-2015, 17:53
@Avenga76: Very eloquently put. I didn't realise ETS2 had proper triple screen support, may have to check that out.

http://www.eurotrucksimulator2.com/multimon_config.php

Fanapryde
17-09-2015, 12:39
Hi guy's
I thought I would put this in here, rather then a new thread............I've just ordered a triple monitor stand from Ebuyer ....Looks quite strong, and supports monitors up to 28" ...I was looking for a stand some months ago, what I looked at, and support for 27" were well over £200...so @ 79.99 + Free Delivery, I couldn't resist http://pcars2.wmdportal.com/images/smilies/wink.png

Thanks for posting this.
May order one too, but I'm not sure the side monitors can be angled far enough to surround you ?
It is not clear on the site.
I will have triple 27"
Could you please confirm once you get them ?

EDIT: just noticed the price went up by 100£ :mad:

E30_Hntsvl
17-09-2015, 14:17
I had a triple stand like the one SwiftOne just ordered. The side monitors droop horribly. I could not get them to line up, even with a metal rod across the arms to hold them level. Mine is now in the landfill...

Fanapryde
17-09-2015, 14:47
I had a triple stand like the one SwiftOne just ordered. The side monitors droop horribly. I could not get them to line up, even with a metal rod across the arms to hold them level. Mine is now in the landfill...Thanks for the info.
I will have to do some more searching I guess.
I found a nice Floor stand for 89£ too, but they charge 150£ shipping to Belgium !!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Premium-Triple-Monitor-Gaming-Racing-Simulator-Mount-Stand-Frame-Trak-Racer-/141631953495?clk_rvr_id=897849595712&rmvSB=true&ul_ref=http%253A%252F%252Frover.ebay.com%252Frover%252F1%252F710-53481-19255-0%252F1%253Fcampid%253D5337607145%2526customid%253D123%2526toolid%253D10018%2526mpre%253Dhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.ebay.co.uk%25252Fitm%25252FPremium-Triple-Monitor-Gaming-Racing-Simulator-Mount-Stand-Frame-Trak-Racer-%25252F141631953495%2526srcrot%253D710-53481-19255-0%2526rvr_id%253D897849595712

SwiftyOne
18-09-2015, 03:20
Thanks for posting this.
May order one too, but I'm not sure the side monitors can be angled far enough to surround you ?
It is not clear on the site.
I will have triple 27"
Could you please confirm once you get them ?

Yeah sorry, they put up the price soon after I ordered...Might be better to remove the link :o

I had a triple stand like the one SwiftOne just ordered. The side monitors droop horribly. I could not get them to line up, even with a metal rod across the arms to hold them level. Mine is now in the landfill...

I was reading about triple stands that do just that, I'm hoping not...But the three Dell's I have are the older ones that are thick and heavy NOT LED :(

E30_Hntsvl
18-09-2015, 11:27
This is the only stand that will hold my 24" Asus monitors without droop. But, no way to bring side monitors around much. http://www.amazon.com/Mount--MI-773-Monitor-Horizontal-monitors/dp/B00FQSHRK2/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1442575556&sr=8-11&keywords=triple+monitor+stand

Khyber GT
18-09-2015, 13:18
so patch 4.0.... still no triple screen support >_<

Fanapryde
18-09-2015, 13:38
I did not expect it being implemented in this patch. They said (a few weeks ago) it could take several months...

Khyber GT
18-09-2015, 13:44
I did not expect it being implemented in this patch. They said (a few weeks ago) it could take several months...

they've been saying that for a LONG time though.

FatnSlo
18-09-2015, 20:47

While I appreciate the patches, fixes and added features this was the one I was hoping for most. Euro Truck Sim2 has full triple screen support but not Project Cars?

Leper Messiah
19-09-2015, 09:19
While I appreciate the patches, fixes and added features this was the one I was hoping for most. Euro Truck Sim2 has full triple screen support but not Project Cars?

R3E doesn't have full support either, if I'm honest I would expect the number of people using triple screens are not many at all compared to those who don't have triple screens. I realise it's a VERY important thing for those who do use triple screens but in the grand scheme of things it's a lot of effort for a small userbase IMO. SMS should concentrate on issues that are FAR more important first and foremost. Personally I'd say getting rid of scripted weather in career mode is more important.

Fanapryde
19-09-2015, 11:29
SMS should concentrate on issues that are FAR more important first and foremost. Personally I'd say getting rid of scripted weather in career mode is more important.
You are entitled to your opnion, but since you are using single, why bother posting in this thread ?
Patch 4 resolved bugs and issues I was not even aware of, so for me triple screen support is the most important thing right now, since I am switching to PC and triple screens...
But this is my opinion...

Kroegtijgertje
19-09-2015, 11:40
I want to switch to a triple monitor setup, but the bad support is holding me back

Vennt
19-09-2015, 11:48
When you're faced with a choice of prioritzing an issue that affects all users or dealing with an issue that affects less than 2% of users the choice isn't a hard one to make, unfortunately for those in the 2% or less.

SwiftyOne
19-09-2015, 11:55
Maybe it's because I only switched to triple screen for pCARS...But I have to say, it's NOT that bad, if you have a low FOV, I certainly get immersed with it how it is, and I use TrackIR too, I would recommend it, even the way it is now :)

Khyber GT
19-09-2015, 13:38
the point is the pc competition has triple screen, AC. Whether or not you wanna count rfactor, iracing, gse, etc... it's just sad that we still don't have it. this is something people have been asking the devs for over a year if not 2 now. if it ends up getting pushed to pcars 2, that will be some bs.

Vennt
19-09-2015, 13:44
the point is the pc competition has triple screen, AC. Whether or not you wanna count rfactor, iracing, gse, etc... it's just sad that we still don't have it. this is something people have been asking the devs for over a year if not 2 now. if it ends up getting pushed to pcars 2, that will be some bs.

I don't see how it's BS, it's a factor for an extremely minimal part of the userbase, and could require a significant rewrite of the rendering engine. (Multiple Viewport Rendering vs Single Viewport Rendering)

You haven't got something you want, and it's understandable that it irks you, that doesn't warrant the devs spending significant resources on it when there are plenty of other demanding issues that will improve the game for the majority, or even all of the players.

It would be moronic business sense to cater to such a small minority when doing so would hold back development on issues that affect everybody. It's not BS, it's just plain old economics.

Fanapryde
19-09-2015, 13:51
I don't see how it's BS, it's a factor for an extremely minimal part of the userbase, and could require a significant rewrite of the rendering engine. (Multiple Viewport Rendering vs Single Viewport Rendering)

You haven't got something you want, and it's understandable that it irks you, that doesn't warrant the devs spending significant resources on it when there are plenty of other demanding issues that will improve the game for the majority, or even all of the players.

It would be moronic business sense to cater to such a small minority when doing so would hold back development on issues that affect everybody. It's not BS, it's just plain old economics.
Sorry, why are you here again ? Read the title please.
If it does not suit you, I can understand, but stop digging for arguments against it.

Kroegtijgertje
19-09-2015, 14:34
I don't see how it's BS, it's a factor for an extremely minimal part of the userbase
So is the Oculus Rift, but that thing seems to have much better support

Leper Messiah
19-09-2015, 14:42
You are entitled to your opnion, but since you are using single, why bother posting in this thread ?
Patch 4 resolved bugs and issues I was not even aware of, so for me triple screen support is the most important thing right now, since I am switching to PC and triple screens...
But this is my opinion...

Because there's two sides to every story and maybe the reason it has low priority with SMS is because it affects a tiny proportion of the player base. Not only that it doesn't affect ALL triple screen users as I've seen plenty of triple screen pCARS vids on youtube that look perfectly acceptable. It may not be perfect but something is there.

Leper Messiah
19-09-2015, 14:46
So is the Oculus Rift, but that thing seems to have much better support

VR could in all probability make screens obsolete (if things are done right), I fully realise those with mega rigs of after market and home made switch sets and displays will not like it so much. But if the boffins can link up hands and arms into VR then we will be able to press the buttons switches and dials from the virtual cockpit. All utilising MUCH less space and cost which would bring those things to many more users.

Mahjik
19-09-2015, 14:52
I want to switch to a triple monitor setup, but the bad support is holding me back

Maybe it's because I only switched to triple screen for pCARS...But I have to say, it's NOT that bad, if you have a low FOV, I certainly get immersed with it how it is, and I use TrackIR too, I would recommend it, even the way it is now :)

It has to do with the angle of the monitors. If you want a closed in setup, where the side monitors are on your side as if they are side mirrors, then it will be a problem. If you have a more flattened display, with the side monitors acting more like just a wider front view, then it's not really an issue. This is why the lack of separate rendering is a problem for some, but not for others.

In short Kroegtijgertje, if you are going for a wider front view, this shouldn't stop you from going to that direction.

Kroegtijgertje
19-09-2015, 16:00
It's good to have a wider view, that's for sure!
But I don't like things being stretched towards the left & right edges of my view.
That's why pCars should have proper support.

Here, listen to Jay. The things he's saying about Battlefield are applying to pCars at the moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nfcic3whaHE

Mahjik
19-09-2015, 16:20
That's why pCars should have proper support.

Nobody said pCARS shouldn't have "proper support". Re-read my post.

rocafella1978
19-09-2015, 16:28
I still think, focus on 3x platforms is what has given the studio the problems in the first place, I have all 3x platforms, and out of all , the PC is best IMO, and they should have stuck to PC only, being a "real" sim racing game, they could have should have done, dev'ed and provided a proper native triple/ multi screen support and implementation. I do give tons of respect and commend them for releasing on all platforms, giving all sorts of racin fans the chance to race on pCARS, but I think this has created more problems and issues, their staff is able to handle across all platforms. would maybe been have easier/ simpler or less complicated, if PC was first, get to a stable format or at least 2-3 patches in, then go to console(s). But for me bottom line for screens, should have been perfectly implemented, or at least full not stretched for pCARS on the PC with multiple screens. but of course this is all IMHO.

PS: not saying PC is better, believe me I enjoy my PS4 and XB1, throwing in game or downloading game and start playing without or just few OS headaches. but PC version of pCARS is lightyears better and PC gives you all the variety of mods, dashs, apps and etc. (even FFB and wheels and etc., feel/ feeedback are different than consoles!) also limitation of memory, data limitation and other limitations of consoles make it even harder for devs.

Kroegtijgertje
19-09-2015, 16:43
Nobody said pCARS shouldn't have "proper support". Re-read my post.

I'm not accusing you, but in the meantime there's no proper support.

Mahjik
19-09-2015, 16:46
I still think, focus on 3x platforms is what has given the studio the problems in the first place, I have all 3x platforms, and out of all , the PC is best IMO, and they should have stuck to PC only, being a "real" sim racing game, they could have should have done, dev'ed and provided a proper native triple/ multi screen support and implementation. I do give tons of respect and commend them for releasing on all platforms, giving all sorts of racin fans the chance to race on pCARS, but I think this has created more problems and issues, their staff is able to handle across all platforms. would maybe been have easier/ simpler or less complicated, if PC was first, get to a stable format or at least 2-3 patches in, then go to console(s). But for me bottom line for screens, should have been perfectly implemented, or at least full not stretched for pCARS on the PC with multiple screens. but of course this is all IMHO.

PS: not saying PC is better, believe me I enjoy my PS4 and XB1, throwing in game or downloading game and start playing without or just few OS headaches. but PC version of pCARS is lightyears better and PC gives you all the variety of mods, dashs, apps and etc. (even FFB and wheels and etc., feel/ feeedback are different than consoles!) also limitation of memory, data limitation and other limitations of consoles make it even harder for devs.

I can't say I agree with this... I'm sure SMS has done a retrospective on how development/release went for this project and have identified areas which can be improved. Some of that has already been done with how pCARS2 is being launched. If you only focus on one platform, you can create a design that will not translate exactly to another platform. SMS's goal with pCARS was to have the exact same capabilities across all the platforms with the only limitations being the platform capabilities themselves rather than the implementation (i.e. resolutions, multiplayer framework).

I don't have access to all three platforms (nor do I want it ;) ), but it is already known that during development the WMD members only had access to the PC version. Therefore it had the most hands on it prior to release. I think the estimate of the platform specific bugs was under-estimated, but rightly so if this is the studio's first multi-platform release.

Umer Ahmad
19-09-2015, 16:54
It is their first multi-platform release on THIS generation. The EA/Shift games were also released on multiple platforms iirc

rocafella1978
19-09-2015, 16:59
I can't say I agree with this... I'm sure SMS has done a retrospective on how development/release went for this project and have identified areas which can be improved. Some of that has already been done with how pCARS2 is being launched. If you only focus on one platform, you can create a design that will not translate exactly to another platform. SMS's goal with pCARS was to have the exact same capabilities across all the platforms with the only limitations being the platform capabilities themselves rather than the implementation (i.e. resolutions, multiplayer framework).

I don't have access to all three platforms (nor do I want it ;) ), but it is already known that during development the WMD members only had access to the PC version. Therefore it had the most hands on it prior to release. I think the estimate of the platform specific bugs was under-estimated, but rightly so if this is the studio's first multi-platform release.

agree with most of what you said, and for me, just curiosity that i wanted to check on all platforms, to have a real comparison for myself and get a better picture. And i do have a much better picture, so i don't need to read what others post and think, most of the time this forum has become a fanboy platform, pushing and shoving and elbowing their way through it...best example the nay says on the FOV issue, went on and on, until someone from WMD said indeed FOV and POV difference indeed on consoles vs. PC. to keep it short, as you put it, underestimated for sure.

rocafella1978
19-09-2015, 17:14
It is their first multi-platform release on THIS generation. The EA/Shift games were also released on multiple platforms iirc

maybe as a team at SMS, but SIMBIN existed before, I don't know the teams and don't want to say anything which is not true or might not be true, but surely some staff know the industry well and have worked in the industry, and now a days, you don't have to be a developer nor be it your profession to know the industry, but we do all know how hard it is and complicated to bring out something or publish games on multi-platforms. as I said, I commend them and respect SMS for that a lot, but still think focus should have been PC and later added consoles. especially knowing that PC was the only testing grounds and not the consoles, since those were not accessible prior to release.
as for the comparison to EA...not sure what you mean, but that is a company with about 7000-8500 employees and I don't know 7-9 billion revenue or something like that, they can afford it and do what they want, especially because none of their games/ projects and etc. are/ were crowdfunded. to be there is a huge difference, crowdfunding: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crowdfunding (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crowdfunding)

not that is matters what I see or that my opinion counts, but I do think the crowdfunding was not really applied here.

just wiki, but I do think some of the below should apply...
Role of the crowd: The inputs of the individuals in the crowd trigger the crowdfunding process and influence the ultimate value of the offerings or outcomes of the process. Each individual acts as an agent of the offering, selecting and promoting the projects in which they believe. They will sometimes play a donor role oriented towards providing help on social projects. In some cases they will become shareholders and contribute to the development and growth of the offering. Individuals disseminate information about projects they support in their online communities, generating further support (promoters).
Motivation for consumer participation stems from the feeling of being at least partly responsible for the success of others’ initiatives (desire for patronage), striving to be a part of a communal social initiative (desire for social participation), and seeking a payoff from monetary contributions (desire for investment).
An individual who takes part in crowdfunding initiatives tends to reveal several distinct traits: innovative orientation, which stimulates the desire to try new modes of interacting with firms and other consumers; social identification with the content, cause or project selected for funding, which sparks the desire to be a part of the initiative; (monetary) exploitation, which motivates the individual to participate by expecting a payoff.

generally speaking, I do think many are on the same page, what we think and how we see it, but some just don't express it or post it and those you can find in other forums, which is equally important to follow and read as a studio employee/ support staff, only IMHO, as a lot of fans and consumers, feel there is priority to the main issues given or stats pulled to see what the main game impacting problems are.

FatnSlo
19-09-2015, 17:36
I understand Raceroom does not yet have full triple support either, but it is a often asked for feature on their forums just like here. I also don't consider Raceroom to be on the level of Pcars either though. Pcars is and is sold as the definitive sim of this generation outside of iRacing so for it to still not have this long asked for feature is disappointing.

What is ironic is that Turn10 created triple screen support for Forza on the Xbox One to show off and wow people at shows to help them sell their game, but the feature is not available in the retail game which is misleading. While Pcars could do the same thing with full triple support to wow people at shows and they could proudly say you can also have this at home, yet they choose not to.

The one thing I will never do in these forums is go in to other's threads and pooh pooh their wishes and dreams for this game!

mister dog
19-09-2015, 18:03
Is it difficult to implement is the question that interests me, anyone has an idea how much resources it takes?
If it's not a real hustle, i think triple screen support is befitting for a sim racer like PCARS and should be added eventually.

Vennt
19-09-2015, 18:11
Is it difficult to implement is the question that interests me, anyone has an idea how much resources it takes?
If it's not a real hustle, i think triple screen support is befitting for a sim racer like PCARS and should be added eventually.

I remember when it was originally requested for iRacing that the devs there said it was a significant amount of development work required, because it required a full rewrite of the rendering engine.

Multiple render surfaces are already part of the game (otherwise mirrors wouldn't work), but you have limited GPU resources available and there is quite a large difference between rendering one main surface (high resolution, the main view) and a few smaller surfaces (low resolution, for the mirrors) and rendering three high resolution main surfaces as well as the few smaller low resolution surfaces.

Doing this and doing it at an acceptable framerate isn't easy.

Rewriting a games rendering engine isn't a task taken lightly.

mister dog
19-09-2015, 19:16
I remember when it was originally requested for iRacing that the devs there said it was a significant amount of development work required, because it required a full rewrite of the rendering engine.

Multiple render surfaces are already part of the game (otherwise mirrors wouldn't work), but you have limited GPU resources available and there is quite a large difference between rendering one main surface (high resolution, the main view) and a few smaller surfaces (low resolution, for the mirrors) and rendering three high resolution main surfaces as well as the few smaller low resolution surfaces.

Doing this and doing it at an acceptable framerate isn't easy.

Rewriting a games rendering engine isn't a task taken lightly.

Thanks for the explanation. I suppose there won't be much room to implement this seeing that the GPU is doing a lot of work already with PCARS, especially if you take consoles into account?

rocafella1978
19-09-2015, 19:22
Thanks for the explanation. I suppose there won't be much room to implement this seeing that the GPU is doing a lot of work already with PCARS, especially if you take consoles into account?

agree with your statement about consoles already at their limits, slight chance of somewhat multi screen support in the future, but i really think it will be more for the PC platform, if not in pCARS now then later for PC in pCARS 2. (IMO) but consoles, i really don't think so.

SwiftyOne
19-09-2015, 22:08
Hi guy's

EDIT: Link removed, as offer had ended, price is now £179.00....If you still wish to look PM me ;)

Just an update : I took delivery of the three monitor stand this morning, as I'm very busy next week, I will be unable to put this together for another week...So, this is just a first look....At this time I am very impressed with build quality, this looks very solid and strong, there is no plastic parts what so ever(except for the end caps for screws and such)But having said that, I don't know yet if I would have paid the full price of £179.99 ... It certainly looks like it will hold my three thick and heavy DELL's...So, this is all I can say right now, I'll do a full review when this is made up ;)

http://www.ebuyer.com/657193-element-gaming-triple-deskmount-with-stand-fnreb3?utm_source=2015-09-16&utm_medium=campaign_email&utm_campaign=B2C_%28Wednesday%29_Openers_FS

bigsilverhotdog
19-09-2015, 22:49
Few (hopefully) salient points:

- I've had triple screen for almost 2 years now. I switched to test it (from a 52" HDTV), not even sure if I'd stick with it in the long term. I wasn't sold on it until I got it setup and started testing it out.

- Once I did get it going I knew I'd never go back to single screen again if I could help it. Most games that fully support 3x are incredible and eye popping -- you discount the effect until you sit down with it properly configured and actually use it, but once you do use it you'll never be able to go back. Even games that don't support 3 screens are just fine on 1, and having the other two for work/video/etc is a fantastic, game changing (literally) aspect for your entire desktop.

- Those saying PCARS doesn't fully or properly support Surround/Eyefinity (and I'm one of them) are accurate and correct to say this, but those saying that PCARS doesn't support Surround/Eyefinity "correctly" or "at all" are inaccurate and incorrect. It does, and it's still immersive and amazing in Surround -- it's just not perfect or fully implemented yet. But that should absolutely not stop anyone from upgrading to Surround -- it's amazing regardless. And I apologise if I ever wrote anything contrary to this effect in the past, I might have in a moment of irritation at the lack of multiview... I honestly can't remember if I did or not. If I did, I was wrong.

- I highly recommend the following articulating mount arm (my review is on there somewhere as well) because it clears your desktop space, can hold a ton of weight (I have 3x ASUS VE278Q, a fairly hefty 27" design), and is easily adjustable in real time for any application you need. I play pinball a lot and swiveling my left monitor for portrait mode is simple and very effective with this arm: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B21TLQU/

Just make sure you have a desk with the clearance that the clamp requires.

Khyber GT
20-09-2015, 06:02
it wouldn't be so bad if the left mirror wasn't the size of the damn left monitor lol it's huge....and then there is the dash stretched out on the right screen instead of the actual window, mirror, and door. just awful.

Fanapryde
20-09-2015, 06:23
it wouldn't be so bad if the left mirror wasn't the size of the damn left monitor lol it's huge....and then there is the dash stretched out on the right screen instead of the actual window, mirror, and door. just awful.
^^This.
And what @Avenga76 so nicely wrote in post #103 here.
I was not even aware that the upcoming corners were so badly displayed, which is one of the worst issues.

Incrediclint
22-09-2015, 23:14
I understand Raceroom does not yet have full triple support either, but it is a often asked for feature on their forums just like here. I also don't consider Raceroom to be on the level of Pcars either though. Pcars is and is sold as the definitive sim of this generation outside of iRacing so for it to still not have this long asked for feature is disappointing.

What is ironic is that Turn10 created triple screen support for Forza on the Xbox One to show off and wow people at shows to help them sell their game, but the feature is not available in the retail game which is misleading. While Pcars could do the same thing with full triple support to wow people at shows and they could proudly say you can also have this at home, yet they choose not to.

The one thing I will never do in these forums is go in to other's threads and pooh pooh their wishes and dreams for this game!

Forza has had triple screen support since Forza 1 on the original Xbox, you just needed multiple TV's + system linked Xbox's. So they didn't have to create it, they've just had to port it to each new edition of Forza. It's a shame they dropped 3+ screen support. I haven't played a console race game since Forza 1, which is the game that made me decide to build a sim cockpit and start racing on the PC rather then consoles (Multiplayer online on consoles always ends up a bumper car derby so online has always been crap for consoles).

Triple screen support is the sole reason I play AC/iRacing instead of pCars. :|

Hodgy
23-09-2015, 07:29
I have stopped playing a long time ago. I really want to play but without the proper triple screen support i cannot. I understand I could adjust the angle of the monitors and it would look OK, but then I would need to adjust it back for Iracing.

I don't really care how hard it is, Ian has already said it will be done!

Sepp666
23-09-2015, 08:07
Yes Ian said it!! But someone of SMS could inform us about the actual situation and could stop the speculation here... So if there is being worked on, a little teaser - screenshot would be very fine!

Juhu_0815
23-09-2015, 16:49
Again no triple screen improvement in Patch 4.0:( Still the same odd HUD position issue and the distorted side windows.

FatnSlo
23-09-2015, 17:43
Would it speed things up to maybe offer triple screen support as DLC? Get some money from the development then have it as in game feature in Pcars2?

bigsilverhotdog
23-09-2015, 22:28
Worst idea I've ever seen. Why not just charge $$$ for each patch while you're at it?

FatnSlo
25-09-2015, 21:00
just to reassure you guys, we're not abandoning Rift just because Griff is no longer with us.
I've been looking into it this week, have found a few things already, and there is more to come.
Also we're getting more DK2's delivered next week so more of the team can take a crack at it.

I found this post over in the Oculus Rift thread. No one has come over to this triple screen thread to assure us it is still being worked on like the Oculus thread. Does this mean our hope for triple screen support is dead?

SwiftyOne
25-09-2015, 23:27
I found this post over in the Oculus Rift thread. No one has come over to this triple screen thread to assure us it is still being worked on like the Oculus thread. Does this mean our hope for triple screen support is dead?

To be honest, if VR takes off, like it looks like it is....It is where the future of gaming is going now, triple screens will be made obsolete...In fact looking 2-3 years time ALL screens for gaming, the bulky way, the expensive way will be gone, you'll put on a VR headset instead, and maybe a have a small screen to surf the web....To set up my three screens, cost me over £1,500, I could have gone lots cheaper, but my choice, and lots of space ...How many VR headsets can you buy for that?...I welcome the change to be honest :)

gemonic
26-09-2015, 00:01
To be honest, if VR takes off, like it looks like it is....It is where the future of gaming is going now, triple screens will be made obsolete...In fact looking 2-3 years time ALL screens for gaming, the bulky way, the expensive way will be gone, you'll put on a VR headset instead, and maybe a have a small screen to surf the web....To set up my three screens, cost me over £1,500, I could have gone lots cheaper, but my choice, and lots of space ...How many VR headsets can you buy for that?...I welcome the change to be honest :)

while i agree in some parts..... VR (as it stands at the moment) does not offer any sort of peripheral vision. Whereas with a triple monitor setup you can be focused on the centre screen and still know that someone is coming up beside you thanks to your peripheral vision. With VR you would still need to turn your head to see it, therefore taking your focus away from where you are actually going.

SwiftyOne
26-09-2015, 00:30
while i agree in some parts..... VR (as it stands at the moment) does not offer any sort of peripheral vision. Whereas with a triple monitor setup you can be focused on the centre screen and still know that someone is coming up beside you thanks to your peripheral vision. With VR you would still need to turn your head to see it, therefore taking your focus away from where you are actually going.

Yeah, there is the peripheral vision, all I've done is read about, never tried VR myself, but from what I'm reading the only big down side with VR is the bulky and sometime heavy(playing over an hour) headset...But since I've just bought a three monitor stand http://www.ebuyer.com/657193-element-gaming-triple-deskmount-with-stand-fnreb3?utm_source=2015-09-16&utm_medium=campaign_email&utm_campaign=B2C_%28Wednesday%29_Openers_FS I know I won't be buying a VR headset sometime soon :) 2016 will be "the" year for VR, and the next coming years will be improving the VR...So, in a way, (don't get me wrong here) I still wish for the triple screen support in pCARS 1, but do think SMS are going more on the VR side than 3 screens, that's been proven by the lack of Devs post in this thread, that's a really big shame after I spent all that money setting it up, but also for me, it's not a game beaker, and I could live with it as it is now :)

FatnSlo
26-09-2015, 01:31
Well SMS has said for years that they would provide full triple screen support. So was that all a lie? They just need to add the promised support and be done with it. While the VR sets will take years of updates, firmwares etc that will keep them plenty busy.

Triple screen systems also look a lot better at shows that groups of people can see instead of a headset that only one can see.

How long can you wear a VR headset anyways before your eyes are too tired to keep playing?

Fanapryde
26-09-2015, 04:52
Not into VR myself, will never be, not even a fan of a headset, let alone driving with a bulky thing on my head that completely cuts you off from real life.
In company it looks pretty stupid too.
Maybe I'm too old for this... I want triple support :cool:

Keithb23
26-09-2015, 05:05

Have to agree to disagree, Swifty! No offense mate, but those of us that have spent a lot of hours and a lot of dollars on serious sim rigs with button boxes, etc. will not be ready to ditch it all for a goofy looking mask (just kidding...about the mask part, it's still goofy looking!)

I think that the new curved screens will become very attractive to sim drivers, especially as the sizes increase and the prices continue to drop. I would happily ditch my triples for a single curved 42" or higher screen when that happens. There is no way I want to give up my hardware though, not now at least.

Although it's great to look around the cockpit etc, without the tactile experience of flicking switches et al, the sense of immersion for me is seriously broken. If the day ever comes when I get a virtual representation of my hand on the screen that moves seamlessly and effortlessly in the 3d environment, and I get some kind of haptic feedback as a result of activating the switch, then I might be more interested. Until then I can't see myself waving my hands about trying to push buttons, looking under the goggles for things, or switching back and forth between views to navigate the game.

Plus, they really are funny looking goggles, have I mentioned that before? :confused:

SwiftyOne
26-09-2015, 06:24
No offence taken, we all have our own opinions, I certainly have no intention to ditch my 3 DELL'S, not yet anyway. ;) I had been looking at the Philips 40" 4k monitor, http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-BDM4065UC-40-Inch-Monitor-5000/dp/B00OO9YWR0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1443248203&sr=8-1&keywords=philips+40+inch+4k+monitor
Now, if that was a curved monitor, that would be on my desk quicker than you could blink :)

Fanapryde
26-09-2015, 06:45
No offence taken, we all have our own opinions, I certainly have no intention to ditch my 3 DELL'S, not yet anyway. ;) I had been looking at the Philips 40" 4k monitor, http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-BDM4065UC-40-Inch-Monitor-5000/dp/B00OO9YWR0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1443248203&sr=8-1&keywords=philips+40+inch+4k+monitor
Now, if that was a curved monitor, that would be on my desk quicker than you could blink :)
You might regret that later.
I have seen a curved monitor "in action" and (not surprisingly imo), it was not even close to triples.

SwiftyOne
26-09-2015, 07:09
You might regret that later.
I have seen a curved monitor "in action" and (not surprisingly imo), it was not even close to triples.

I know what your saying, I might have given the wrong impression, ;) I do a lot of research and hands on before I do anything. :) At least for now, there isn't anything out there that will go above the dell's, unless your going with 3x4k and a super computer running 4xTitanX. :culpability: ;)

Keithb23
27-09-2015, 17:27
One thing I do that hasn't been mentioned yet, is that by adjusting my fov and seat position, I am usually able to line up the left screen/center screen bezels with the A pillar of the car view on screen (provided the car actually has one). This effectively masks the bezels on the left side of the center screen and I don't even notice them at all. That only leaves the right side/center bezels exposed and one tunes those out pretty quickly.

By the way, Swifty, love your location! Cheers, and down with the trolls!

Rob Prange
28-09-2015, 10:14
Triple screen support something which we are still planning to implement, but does require significant resources as each screen needs a whole render process. It is not possible to share things like shadow buffers and scene graph gathers between views which can be facing in almost opposite directions, and this has significant ramifications for the code, which has not needed a complete split like this before. We have however made some inroads into restructuring in a way which allows completely independent views to be set up with their own shadow buffers and scene gathers etc.

We prefer not to give a specific timeline for this kind of change until we are further down the line to having it completed, because to do so simply opens us up to accusations of giving false hope if something crops up which delays it again.

Sepp666
28-09-2015, 11:20
OK, it would have been cool if you had said: With the next patch you all will get new triple screen settings! But you confirmed again the development of proper triple screen support and stated that the development isn't canceled... It is something i wished. To know that it isn't canceled. -Thumbs up!

RomKnight
28-09-2015, 12:03
Why i've given up already. It is one of the couple of grasps I hold. it is actually #2.

I'm not expecting it (3 screens) for pc1 anymore :(

Fanapryde
28-09-2015, 12:36
Why i've given up already. It is one of the couple of grasps I hold. it is actually #2.

I'm not expecting it (3 screens) for pc1 anymore :(You are quite an optimist ! :distracted:

rauf0
28-09-2015, 12:53
I'm losing my faith in triple too. Bit shame it was advertised as other functions and simply did not appear.

RomKnight
28-09-2015, 13:03
You are quite an optimist ! :distracted:

"Let us hope then, that I was wrong" (tm) :)

Fre.Mo
28-09-2015, 19:32

How will we use our keyboard or button box...

bigsilverhotdog
28-09-2015, 20:25
What I would use the VR headset in that picture for is too NSFW to post about here.

Keithb23
29-09-2015, 05:59
It's probably lucky for us we can't see his hands, lol! ;)

SwiftyOne
29-09-2015, 07:27
It's probably lucky for us we can't see his hands, lol! ;)

Hahahaha!! Your killing me..:glee::loyal::loyal:

TOCA2FREAK
30-09-2015, 13:30
Will keep an eye on this thread and will start playing pCars once triple screen support has been implemented.

Drukhi
02-10-2015, 12:52
I was at SIM Expo and there were also Triple Screens with Project CARS. Even users with no knowledge ask me why is PCARS looking so weird comparing to the stands running iracing. To be honest, R3E have this issue to.

So go devs gooo. :)

Sledgar
02-10-2015, 19:07
Just to ask. what exactly is the problem on the tripplescreen support in pcars? Im running it totally fine with no problems.

Vennt
02-10-2015, 19:09
Just to ask. what exactly is the problem on the tripplescreen support in pcars? Im running it totally fine with no problems.

People want multiple viewport support, so that the side monitors can be set at a different angle and still show a perspective corrected image, usually 60 degrees or so.

TOCA2FREAK
02-10-2015, 19:18

This (http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?22367-We-need-proper-triple-screen-support&p=1110762&viewfull=1#post1110762)

SwiftyOne
02-10-2015, 19:53
This (http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?22367-We-need-proper-triple-screen-support&p=1110762&viewfull=1#post1110762)

I can see what your saying, I also use TrackIR with my triple setup, which makes it look like AC....Without the TrackIR though, it is exactly how your link describes it, and with the pictures being side by side like that, comparing the two games it's quite obverse the difference.

Fanapryde
02-10-2015, 21:33
I just ordered three of these guys: BENQ XL2720Z
I hope the support is coming soon :rolleyes:

SwiftyOne
02-10-2015, 22:10
Nice, but rather expensive for 1080p

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-078-AC

Silraed
03-10-2015, 04:46
I would honestly choose the BenQ over that Acer, but then I am slightly biased against Acer since they screwed me over twice with an old monitor :rolleyes: My experience is also that BenQ display motion better.

Voo78
03-10-2015, 09:39
I didn't quite have the budget for Acer/Benq so went for triple LCD's in the end and I'm not disappointed to be honest. I wanted a slightly bigger display too so opted for 32" screens. Think it's just a case of ensuring the PC has enough horse power to display ultra settings. A GTX960 does the job, but a 980 would be perfect I reckon and will allow maximum "prettiness"

Does anyone use a GTX980 on full ultra settings - results?

Fanapryde
03-10-2015, 10:00
Nice, but rather expensive for 1080p

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-078-AC
My experiences (PC monitor and laptop) with Acer are not the best either, but hey, I'm talking at least seven years ago...
Just received my first BenQ XL2720Z and there is no way comparing that to my actual LG 32" full HD TV.
Colors are way better, small characters much better visible, smoother, and the difference betwwen 27" and 32" is barely noticeable. Easier on the eyes too, I realize that after only 2 hrs racing...
I also realize that triple 27" screens will give a huge view, wow... :fat:

Keithb23
03-10-2015, 16:53
@Fanapryde
You must have one helluva sturdy setup to support three 32" LCD monitors, lol! No worries about staying warm, either, I guess? With my setup I find the small room I use it in heats up pretty quickly, it's nice in the winter, but I had to add air-con this summer. :D

I sure hope we have support soon. Last night I was switching between different games noting the differences in immersion and so on.

I played PCars for a bit, and for a few of the cars it was okay, but for a lot of the cars the side mirror(s) become so huge they are rather distracting.

I switched to RRRE and had a similar experience (side note, the sound in RRRE is miles above any racing sim right now. Incredible the difference well thought out and well sampled positioning audio can make. Really night and day!) with not being able to setup a view that I found to be satisfactory.

I played RFactor 2 and it was much easier to adjust things to my liking because the side-screens weren't distorted, but my God! The graphics! Blah! All the textures are so crappy and washed out. Everywhere you look in the game it just screams 1990 - 2000! If you play GTR2 you will get a better experience, graphics-wise, than you will RFactor 2, and there's what? Ten years difference between them? For the life of me I can't believe that in 2015 we are forced to scroll through menus that are low resolution and tacky either. Enough of a rant though. Sorry, guys.

Finally, I played AC. Now that's what I'm talking about! Driving the Corvette GT3 car was almost perfection! If I could figure out how to adjust the view angle up and down with triples in AC it would really get a 10/10 for triple screen support from me. This game really gave me the "I'm really there" feeling. Mirrors had the correct perspective, I could adjust the angles exactly the way I wanted, and it didn't matter which car I drove, I could achieve that.

I haven't played IRacing in over a year now, but I may go back on one of their specials, just to see how it's changed. I know IRacing has the best support of any game out there for multiple screens, and I was really disappointing that PCars didn't even really make any kind of attempt to at least approach IRacing in hardware support with triple screens and multiple control configurations that load with the vehicle. Honestly, if IRacing were to come out with DX12 support and some kind of off-line AI practice/race mode, I would happily jump back on board.

SwiftyOne
03-10-2015, 17:42
My experiences (PC monitor and laptop) with Acer are not the best either, but hey, I'm talking at least seven years ago...
Just received my first BenQ XL2720Z and there is no way comparing that to my actual LG 32" full HD TV.
Colors are way better, small characters much better visible, smoother, and the difference betwwen 27" and 32" is barely noticeable. Easier on the eyes too, I realize that after only 2 hrs racing...
I also realize that triple 27" screens will give a huge view, wow... :fat:

My 3 Dells are over 5 years old, I bought a brand new one, for the center screen, £600 (for using mostly on the web too) and two refurbished screens for peripheral vision(which don't need to be New) for £300 each, half price :) you'll be just fine with the BENQ they are real good monitors ;)

Umer Ahmad
03-10-2015, 18:00
It's not gonna be soon guys. Requires non-trivial render code changes. My guess is sometime 2016

SwiftyOne
03-10-2015, 18:11
It's not gonna be soon guys. Requires non-trivial render code changes. My guess is sometime 2016

Even that's not a world away :) If it proves to difficult, or it could break something else, I'd much rather wait till pCARS 2.. ;)

Fanapryde
03-10-2015, 21:46
@Fanapryde
You must have one helluva sturdy setup to support three 32" LCD monitors, lol! No worries about staying warm, either, I guess? With my setup I find the small room I use it in heats up pretty quickly, it's nice in the winter, but I had to add air-con this summer. :D
I have one 32" TV in front of me now, but the triples will be 27".
The room is not that small and I have airco, so I think it will be OK :cool:

menos
04-10-2015, 07:51

Finally, I played AC. Now that's what I'm talking about! Driving the Corvette GT3 car was almost perfection! If I could figure out how to adjust the view angle up and down with triples in AC it would really get a 10/10 for triple screen support from me. This game really gave me the "I'm really there" feeling. Mirrors had the correct perspective, I could adjust the angles exactly the way I wanted, and it didn't matter which car I drove, I could achieve that.

In AC you can adjust the tilt angle up/down wards in the view menu of each car and save it for each car separately.
While being on the track, move your mouse over to the right side of the right most screen so the app bar pops up.
There is an app that looks like a crash helmet with a view angle icon - click it.

A app pops up where you can adjust all major view settings and save it for each car separately (this is the greatest feature in AC, as you cannot only adjust the view in general AND the triple screen setup precisely - it also has this app where you can perfect the view for every single different car, achieving triple screen view perfection ;-)

I am looking forward to these features being implemented into pCars, as long as it may take to implement it.

Incrediclint
04-10-2015, 09:19

Being a coder as well as a sim racer I find it odd that any company developing a sim racing game wouldn't go with a design that makes adding triple screen support later on down the road a trivial task.

Vennt
04-10-2015, 10:09
Being a coder as well as a sim racer I find it odd that any company developing a sim racing game wouldn't go with a design that makes adding triple screen support later on down the road a trivial task.

Being a coder you should understand the idea of minimizing "Opportunity Cost" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opportunity_cost).

When you look at the numbers you see that triple screen gamers are still in such an extreme minority that spending your limited resources (development time & resources) elsewhere (Such as single display performance) has a low opportunity cost compared to the alternative, and multi-viewport rendering is never trivial.

Incrediclint
04-10-2015, 10:38
Being a coder you should understand the idea of minimizing "Opportunity Cost" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opportunity_cost).

When you look at the numbers you see that triple screen gamers are still in such an extreme minority that spending your limited resources (development time & resources) elsewhere (Such as single display performance) has a low opportunity cost compared to the alternative, and multi-viewport rendering is never trivial.

That's the point, the design of their engine SHOULD have made it trivial, and in many engines it is trivial. Race/flight sims lend themselves to multiple monitor setups far more then any other genre and when targeting the sim crowd it's a no brainer. (And yes, I do have experience with rendering engines, both writing my own and working with others.)

John Hargreaves
04-10-2015, 10:51

We'll all be running Oculus Rifts by then anyway :cool: Can't wait.

Fanapryde
04-10-2015, 10:54
We'll all be running Oculus Rifts by then anyway :cool: Can't wait.Sincerely doubt that !
In fact I am sure, because I never will...

rauf0
04-10-2015, 12:45
I'm haven't bought all that staff: triple stand, 3x1440 g-sync, wheel, dash, button box, handbreak, shifter to hide it under fancy goggles giving me headache and blurry image...
I'll try it again, but after testing DK2 and reading ab. VR i don't expect it'll be anywhere near my triples. So honestly i don't care ab. VR support.

Silraed
04-10-2015, 14:03
Until VR headsets have some level of peripheral vision I don't see them being that amazing, just my personal feeling towards them.

Well I guess I have a lot more time to save up for those triple screens before we get the support.

Keithb23
04-10-2015, 14:28
In AC you can adjust the tilt angle up/down wards in the view menu of each car and save it for each car separately.
While being on the track, move your mouse over to the right side of the right most screen so the app bar pops up.
There is an app that looks like a crash helmet with a view angle icon - click it.

Thanks, I tried that, but nothing happens when I click on the angle up and down buttons. The screens stay static. Does this work for anyone else using triples with Geforce cards?

Keithb23
04-10-2015, 14:31
Let's not get into another Rift vr. Triples discussion here, guys. This is a triple screen support thread. You Oculus guys already have a thread for that, no offense. :)

ermo
05-10-2015, 15:14
Here's a little update on the plans for implementing native triple screen support in pCARS 1 (and 2) from @Robert Dibley, the SMS Render Lead (emphasis mine):

Thanks for the update Robert -- excellent stuff.

From the sound of it, you and the rest of the render team are really digging into the code base as part of your investigations for both pCARS 1 and pCARS 2? Would you say that there is partial synergy in doing so and being able to compare and contrast?

Keep it coming and have fun! :encouragement:

Yes, whenever we switch projects we do a full review of the code base - and pick up on all those things which we wanted to change but couldn't because of the risk to the project during the end phases and post launch.

The two renderer codebases are getting very different now, because pCARS 2 will no longer support DX9, and as a result is able to do a number of things very differently.
We'll be looking at some changes to see whether they are worth bringing back into pCARS1, but unfortunately a significant number of areas simply cannot be changed, because to do so would mean so much of the code changing that there would be too great a risk of unexpected bugs being created.

The benefit with working on the Oculus side of things is that although there are differences between pCARS 1 and 2, they are really minor at the moment, and so keeping them both updated is fine.
Oculus and Triple Screen support will be the only really big render side changes which go into both projects, as they are things which pretty much sit on top of the existing code, and as such they are not effected much by other changes.

Umer Ahmad
05-10-2015, 15:48
Good riddance to dx9. I thought we even voted to unsupport it for pcars1? Must have been some risk in dropping it. Ancient API

menos
06-10-2015, 08:20
Thanks, I tried that, but nothing happens when I click on the angle up and down buttons. The screens stay static. Does this work for anyone else using triples with Geforce cards?

Strange - try clicking and holding the button. The incremental change on one single click is very small. If that still doesn't work, than I am out of ideas. Here it works well. It might also be limited to certain cars (?).

spinkick
09-10-2015, 15:36
So, any update to this? I know we are on patch 5 and its appreciated. I see lots of oculus work so I know we have a dev digging around in the general area of triple screen support ;)

Mahjik
09-10-2015, 16:10
So, any update to this? I know we are on patch 5 and its appreciated. I see lots of oculus work so I know we have a dev digging around in the general area of triple screen support ;)

A few posts back:

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?22367-We-need-proper-triple-screen-support&p=1132207&viewfull=1#post1132207

bent98
10-10-2015, 02:09
Still holding out hope for proper support. I got my motion sim rig with triples and I love graphics and Forcefeedback on of this game but to FOV is a game killer. I will continue to play Assetto Crosa until Pcars gets some love.

For those who think there's not many people on the PC running triples and dont care about FOV think again

Khyber GT
10-10-2015, 02:18
siiiiiiiiiiiiiiggggggghhhhhhhhhh

Eric Bergeret
12-10-2015, 11:48
Still holding out hope for proper support. I got my motion sim rig with triples and I love graphics and Forcefeedback on of this game but to FOV is a game killer. I will continue to play Assetto Crosa until Pcars gets some love.

For those who think there's not many people on the PC running triples and dont care about FOV think again
i find myself playing Ac too after official release of Pcars.
still no triple screen support when oculus rift , well no comment .
i was happy to buy a triple screen for pcars, now i find myself using it only on Ac great :confused:.

Incrediclint
12-10-2015, 21:20
i find myself playing Ac too after official release of Pcars.
still no triple screen support when oculus rift , well no comment .
i was happy to buy a triple screen for pcars, now i find myself using it only on Ac great :confused:.

Ditto. Went ahead and got the expansions for AC as well. Raceroom still doesn't have trip support either, sigh.

SwiftyOne
12-10-2015, 21:59
I don't think this thread could get anymore deeper down than it already is.....Did you guy's not read this? : http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?22367-We-need-proper-triple-screen-support&p=1132207&viewfull=1#post1132207

spencerrg
13-10-2015, 00:37
I personally would love to know how many people reading these forums are still waiting for this to be implemented. I know we are in the minority and i don't want the guys to rush into getting this done, but I can't wait to race with true support. Can we all "like" the first post to see where our numbers are actually at. I'm sure it would benefit SMS too!

SwiftyOne
13-10-2015, 00:54
I personally would love to know how many people reading these forums are still waiting for this to be implemented. I know we are in the minority and i don't want the guys to rush into getting this done, but I can't wait to race with true support. Can we all "like" the first post to see where our numbers are actually at. I'm sure it would benefit SMS too!

IMHO..That would have the opposite effect and annoy them, believe me, they know already!

spencerrg
13-10-2015, 03:03
I'm not trying to annoy them at all. As I said I don't want them rushing into it and just to implement it when its ready. I'm a silent reader in this forum and post very rarely, as others are too i'm sure, and i'm more interested in the number of people actually waiting for it to be implemented. :D

A "like" on the first page is easier than posting negative comments about why its not out yet and shelving it in preference of other games i'm sure!!!

Fanapryde
13-10-2015, 05:30
Don't know about you guys, but I have three friends with triple setups who are not on the forum.
They play other sims but one of them also got pCars and does not use it because the lack of triple screen support. I have no doubt that both others would also take the step as soon as this gets implemented.
My guess is that they are no exceptions....and that the number of triple users is higher than some may think...

Fanapryde
13-10-2015, 16:26
And this guy is convinced that triple monitor support in ProjectCars is great...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HC_OpdT8RiQ

SimRaceGuru
13-10-2015, 16:40
This is what happens when you market your product to sim enthusiast.

The PC is the platform for high quality sims (flight, trains, racing etc). The top racing sims (AC, IR, GSCE) all focused on the PC sim experience…and have proper triple screen support because they realized the immersion factor and the investments sim enthusiast put into building their sim rigs.

SMS did not go this route and targeted the general gaming community as a whole (Xbox and PS), but put out vids and interviews as if they were a cut above the “other” developers (like listening to the community) leading one to believe that they would produce a feature-rich PC racing sim.

Most of the gaming devs that target the console market as well as the PC market (like codemasters) do not make really good PC sims. However, they make a ton of money because the watered down sim model works well for their broad “catch all” business strategy. There is nothing wrong with that as long as you market it appropriately so that the consumer knows the difference.

I think it is sad when the Devs / members get upset because sim enthusiast “complain” about PCars not having the “bare” features like the competition that set the bar for PC racing sims.

E30_Hntsvl
13-10-2015, 18:01
I've had 9 people come over and experience pCARS in the last 3 weeks. They all think its amazing. Not one person said the triple monitor setup looked weird or distorted, no comments other than how great it all looks. I have no problem either. My monitors are set up without much angle, more representative of a real windshield, flat. I don't think AC's triple support is anything great, and its not at all useful in my configuration. Just saying.

McErono
13-10-2015, 18:02
I personally would love to know how many people reading these forums are still waiting for this to be implemented!

I do! Out of 6 guys with triple setups over here, I am the only one playing pcars. Guess why SMS...

Fanapryde
13-10-2015, 18:13
I've had 9 people come over and experience pCARS in the last 3 weeks. They all think its amazing. Not one person said the triple monitor setup looked weird or distorted, no comments other than how great it all looks. I have no problem either. My monitors are set up without much angle, more representative of a real windshield, flat. I don't think AC's triple support is anything great, and its not at all useful in my configuration. Just saying.
Your opinion.
Have you even seen post #103 in this thread ?

E30_Hntsvl
13-10-2015, 18:39
I just looked at 103. I hate that type of setup. My opinion of course. My windshield is flat. So is the earth, but that's another forum.

flybikes
13-10-2015, 19:51

That is the problem. Now you only have a flat windshield..the triples are not doing much... with triples you should see the side painels of the car like in reality.

Mahjik
13-10-2015, 20:08
That is the problem. Now you only have a flat windshield..the triples are not doing much... with triples you should see the side painels of the car like in reality.

That is not true.

Each triple monitor user will define what "they" want to see. Some will use a more realistic FOV with a larger landscape which will require a more flatten setup. Others will use a larger FOV which allows to see both mirrors at the same time and then move the side monitors at a more extreme angle. Neither is right or wrong. It's personal preference.

Incrediclint
13-10-2015, 22:09
That is not true.

Each triple monitor user will define what "they" want to see. Some will use a more realistic FOV with a larger landscape which will require a more flatten setup. Others will use a larger FOV which allows to see both mirrors at the same time and then move the side monitors at a more extreme angle. Neither is right or wrong. It's personal preference.

I fail to see how a flattened setup is more realistic then an angled setup. Proper triple screen support scales and angles the side screens so it's 1:1 with the real world. You see everything a flat setup will see and more. The only difference between the two when it comes to the windshield is how far the monitor itself is from you, but the size remains the same... it's scaled so it looks the same as it would if you DID have a flat (no angle) setup.

lacslyer
13-10-2015, 22:13

Yet with that it doesn't take away from the fact that the average triple screen setup uses angled side monitors for obvious reasons, which isn't supported in this game. It not being useful to you doesn't mean the majority of triple screen owners don't need support.

Fanapryde
13-10-2015, 22:14
I just looked at 103. I hate that type of setup. My opinion of course. My windshield is flat. So is the earth, but that's another forum.saw your complaint on another topic though: your monitor stand does not allow you to give the monitors more angle...
Maybe that's why the earth is flat ?

lacslyer
13-10-2015, 22:18
That is not true.

To be fair, every triple screen setup guide you'll find suggests using an angled setup, and most inform you of the proper angles for optimal play. Just because he prefers a flat setup doesn't mean it's right in general, which it definitely isn't. For him it works, which is fine, but in general it's definitely the wrong way to set them up. I only point this out because he's attempting to come in here and tell people that everything's fine when it obviously isn't.

Incrediclint
13-10-2015, 22:22
To be fair, every triple screen setup guide you'll find suggests using an angled setup, and most inform you of the proper angles for optimal play. Just because he prefers a flat setup doesn't mean it's right in general, which it definitely isn't. For him it works, which is fine, but in general it's definitely the wrong way to set them up.

I started with a flat setup 10+ years ago too, until I saw an angled setup for the first time and realized how much more immersion and vision it gave. Then I became obsessed with being able to turn my head 90 degrees and see the apex/road/car next to me. Unfortunately at the time I couldn't afford to get monitors large enough (or sit close enough) to give the full 180 degree FOV that I wanted. :|

These days it's pretty darn easy, but I'm not quite as obsessed with the full 180 anymore... 160 or so is good enough. :)

Someone should mod 3 oculus rifts into one device and strap that juggernaut to our heads!

E30_Hntsvl
13-10-2015, 23:06
I can angle the 22" Viewsonic monitors around just fine. Its the 24" ones that would pose a problem. I like it almost flat. Setup exactly like sitting in the driver seat, looking ahead, as close to 1:1 as possible.

Mahjik
13-10-2015, 23:30
To be fair, every triple screen setup guide you'll find suggests using an angled setup

Yes, because everything on the internet is law..

There is no right or wrong. Heck, a majority of triple monitor stands for sim rigs are flat. However, even when talking about monitor angles it depends on the amount of the angle. Angling the monitors at the sides of the head does create a problem if the software cannot render the screens separately. If you slightly angle the monitors for providing an IMAX type display, then the need for rendering the side monitors separately is greatly reduced.

I would argue those who do angle the monitors on the sides of their head are creating an improper experience. In a real car, the windows are not that close unless your are driving an Aussie Racing Series car:

http://media2.speedcafe.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Screen-shot-2011-07-13-at-11.17.50-PM-344x224.png

;)

Again, there is no right or wrong. As many people want the side monitors to be like side windows, there are just as many who don't. That has no impact on SMS delivering the capability nor does telling people "their" setup is wrong.

lacslyer
13-10-2015, 23:39
Yes, because everything on the internet is law..

There is no right or wrong. Heck, a majority of triple monitor stands for sim rigs are flat. However, even when talking about monitor angles it depends on the amount of the angle. Angling the monitors at the sides of the head does create a problem if the software cannot render the screens separately. If you slightly angle the monitors for providing an IMAX type display, then the need for rendering the side monitors separately is greatly reduced.

I would argue those who do angle the monitors on the sides of their head are creating an improper experience. In a real car, the windows are not that close unless your are driving an Aussie Racing Series car:

http://media2.speedcafe.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Screen-shot-2011-07-13-at-11.17.50-PM-344x224.png

;)

Again, there is no right or wrong. As many people want the side monitors to be like side windows, there are just as many who don't. That has no impact on SMS delivering the capability nor does telling people "their" setup is wrong.

I'm not going to argue back and forth with you about it because it is opinionated. But I highly doubt just as many people use triple screens with zero angle that are made for racing sims. It's why every rig setup that provides triple screen mounting allows you to mount them at an angle.

FYI, I'm not sure if you're serious, but they're not supposed to be positioned as though they're windows.

Mahjik
13-10-2015, 23:58
FYI, I'm not sure if you're serious, but they're not supposed to be positioned as though they're windows.

People want them on the sides to position the "side mirrors". It's saying the same thing, just in a different way.

However, if you look at something like rSeat:

http://www.rseat.net/tv-stands/

Their angle isn't nearly as severe as what's been suggested in this thread. With that angle, the lack of independent monitor rendering isn't as noticeable (I use a similar angle for my setup).

lacslyer
14-10-2015, 02:59
People want them on the sides to position the "side mirrors". It's saying the same thing, just in a different way.

Their angle isn't nearly as severe as what's been suggested in this thread. With that angle, the lack of independent monitor rendering isn't as noticeable (I use a similar angle for my setup).

The suggested angle for triple screens for sim racing is typically 45 degrees, but it depends on the width of your monitors. I only asked because the way you worded it made it sound as though they'd be closer to 90 degrees which is far from ideal. I'm not sure who in the thread suggested that, but anything more than 60 would probably be a waste.

The reason 45 degrees is typically suggested is because it provides peripheral vision in the game, which is the whole point of triple screens to anyone that has a clue about them, which I mean no offense by. Having your monitors flat, for instance, isn't nearly as immersive because the monitors don't cover your line of sight. That's much more important than having whatever advantage a flat setup would provide you and while people are free to have their setup that way, I'd highly suggest they at least attempt to try it the suggested way because there's a reason it's suggested. Furthermore, I'd also suggest that anyone who thinks that this game is fine the way it is for triple monitor support because it's capable of handling a flat triple screen setup not be involved in this conversation, respectfully.

Fanapryde
14-10-2015, 06:39

Not a good example to prove your point I'm afraid.
This is the one I just bought. You can angle the side monitors at 90° if you want to.
They are made specially for sim racing...

Incrediclint
14-10-2015, 12:23

But again, with proper triple screen support the side monitors are not rendered as if the windows are as close to you as the monitors are, it's scaled and rendered so the windows appear as they would from the driver's seat/position. Load up any sim with proper support, on angled monitors you see the same thing as you would on a single monitor when you use the look left/look right buttons... but you only have to turn your eyes/head instead of pressing a button.

Telling people their setup is wrong is just as much of an opinion as saying that angling the monitors is creating an improper experience.

Incrediclint
14-10-2015, 12:28
The suggested angle for triple screens for sim racing is typically 45 degrees, but it depends on the width of your monitors. I only asked because the way you worded it made it sound as though they'd be closer to 90 degrees which is far from ideal. I'm not sure who in the thread suggested that, but anything more than 60 would probably be a waste.

The reason 45 degrees is typically suggested is because it provides peripheral vision in the game, which is the whole point of triple screens to anyone that has a clue about them, which I mean no offense by. Having your monitors flat, for instance, isn't nearly as immersive because the monitors don't cover your line of sight. That's much more important than having whatever advantage a flat setup would provide you and while people are free to have their setup that way, I'd highly suggest they at least attempt to try it the suggested way because there's a reason it's suggested. Furthermore, I'd also suggest that anyone who thinks that this game is fine the way it is for triple monitor support because it's capable of handling a flat triple screen setup not be involved in this conversation, respectfully.

I used to run 60 degree monitors for complete 180 peripheral vision but had to almost kiss the screens to do it (3x23" screens). Now I run 3x27" at around 160 fov, 53 degree angled side monitors (so the center of all 3 monitors are equidistant to my eyes), works out well. Would like to go up to 32" screens though... one can dream!