PDA

View Full Version : Speed Sensitive FOV

flymar
08-05-2015, 17:22
Speed sensitive FOV settings are pretty useful tool if you want more speed sensation or opposite. While explaining it takes a while I did a screenshot once and put everything I know about it on one screen:)
Notice you could use inverted FOV (more view in slow speeds).
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10471723/2014-09-21/FOV_exp.jpg

EDIT: Settings I use.

Scoobydude46
08-05-2015, 17:51
Took me a lot of setting up and driving to see the changes, well happy with it now as it does increase the spence of speed

Miths
08-05-2015, 18:43
Thanks. I had definitely misunderstood exactly how that worked.

Olijke Poffer
13-05-2015, 18:17
Great topic,

What settings do you use atm?

flymar
13-05-2015, 18:20
I use exactly as on the screen. Well, 81 base FOV to be exact:) + Speedshake + World movement 85 + visible helmet - helmet DOF - look to apes+ default leaning.
And in some cars I tap "S" once or twice to sit little lower.

Rudee
13-05-2015, 18:50
I use exactly as on the screen. Well, 81 base FOV to be exact:) + Speedshake + World movement 85 + visible helmet - helmet DOF - look to apes+ default leaning.

You use the helmet CAM? Also, what value do you use for Look to Apex?

Olijke Poffer
13-05-2015, 18:55

Thanks... :D

flymar
13-05-2015, 19:20
I don't use look to apex. Never got used to it and I'm over countersteering with that on:)
A sample

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpFnJlDkTtY&feature=youtu.be

gbm
19-05-2015, 13:49
Question:

what numbers would change in that equation IF I wanted to feel more of a sense of speed?

I currently am using your set up.

DrDrum
19-05-2015, 14:34
Im running triple screens at 5760x 1080 . My fov wont go below 88. Therefore the Helmet Cam wont show the helmet. how can I get the FOV down to 85 so the helmet will show?

Olijke Poffer
19-05-2015, 14:53
I don't use look to apex. Never got used to it and I'm over countersteering with that on:)
A sample

For me it feels natural with the look to apex turned on. It also gives an idea when to start cornering. At least for me it does. ;)

Mahjik
19-05-2015, 15:22
Im running triple screens at 5760x 1080 . My fov wont go below 88. Therefore the Helmet Cam wont show the helmet. how can I get the FOV down to 85 so the helmet will show?

You cannot. The FOV has limits and it's based on resolution. The Helmet Overlay is not suppose to show for triple screens (or large landscape resolutions in general).

NemethR
19-05-2015, 15:43
For me it feels natural with the look to apex turned on. It also gives an idea when to start cornering. At least for me it does. ;)

Funny thing is, that I do not really like it, BUT I am faster with Look to apex turned on, then without it :D

flymar
19-05-2015, 21:41
Question:

what numbers would change in that equation IF I wanted to feel more of a sense of speed?

I currently am using your set up.You can go lower with "minimum" values and higher with "maximum", but this constant movement might make you sick:) Experiment with World Movement parameter. I use 85 for little car movement.

gbm
23-05-2015, 23:36
You can go lower with "minimum" values and higher with "maximum", but this constant movement might make you sick:) Experiment with World Movement parameter. I use 85 for little car movement.

Which min and maxs? The "speed sensitivity", or the "speed sensitivity speed?"

(sounds a bit redundant)

speedmeister
29-06-2015, 07:11
Speed sensitive FOV settings are pretty useful tool if you want more speed sensation or opposite. While explaining it takes a while I did a screenshot once and put everything I know about it on one screen:)

Thanks a bunch for this post. Really useful - YOU the man!

Will experiment a little when I get around to it. I think having the right settings in this game can make or break the experience, literally.

TheReaper GT
30-06-2015, 04:29
A question, what I should see after set world movement to 85? Is that kind of warp/elastic effect?

speedmeister
30-06-2015, 07:41
^^ Ideally, you should keep world movement at 100 and g-forces at zero, so that the camera stays glued to the car. This way you know exactly what the tires and suspension are doing.

It's the camera FOV speed sensitivity values that engage your screen into warp drive!

flymar
30-06-2015, 07:47
World movement determines if your view stick to the car, or to horizon.
0 - always look at horizon (look at my feet when I'm going up)
100 - always stick to the car

Olijke Poffer
30-06-2015, 08:08
I have the movement all set to it's max. I love the moving view. In real life your head will shake as well when driving in a car. When the view is set to static it feels unnatural to me.

flymar
30-06-2015, 08:09
I have the movement all set to it's max. I love the moving view. In real life your head will shake as well when driving in a car. When the view is set to static it feels unnatural to me.
i think you are talking about leaning, g-forces and shake. World movement set to max is static:)

Olijke Poffer
30-06-2015, 08:26
Ahh you'r right. My fault.

TheReaper GT
30-06-2015, 13:36
Thanks guys, I'll give it a try later, I use cockpit camera with a lot more fov than you, I find the immersion greater that way, but I like the warp effect.

sVig
30-06-2015, 13:45
I prefer a bigger FOV at slower speeds but not a FOV so big at higher speeds that it gets so big and kinda has that warping effect.

No idea what I should be setting the values at.

What should I be setting so that the FOV stops it from growing massive and kinda warping?

flymar
30-06-2015, 13:55
I prefer a bigger FOV at slower speeds but not a FOV so big at higher speeds that it gets so big and kinda has that warping effect.

No idea what I should be setting the values at.

What should I be setting so that the FOV stops it from growing massive and kinda warping?

Revert first 2
so minSS 110, maxSS 90 for example. With higher speed you'll get closer to windshield:)
And about "massive" word - the lower the difference between this two values the effect will be lower, so with 100 min and 100 max FOV will not change (well - it may be affected by G-Force but this you can turn off also).

sVig
30-06-2015, 14:16
I don't want to get closer to the windscreen though. I'd like an initial bigger FOV and then like it to get bigger with more speed but not so big that it gets too far back and kinda warped/elongated.

flymar
30-06-2015, 14:20
I don't want to get closer to the windscreen though. I'd like an initial bigger FOV and then like it to get bigger with more speed but not so big that it gets too far back and kinda warped/elongated.
You have base FOVs in Options - Camera, then set MinSS to 100 and MaxSS to 105-110 and choose MAxSSSpeed big enough for you.

Manmadesmiith
30-06-2015, 17:47
Hi, I have only started to use helmet cam. I am using your settings. I like it a lot. But how do I turn down the blurring effect? I can't see cars in the side mirrors which make it unrealistic for me. I am on xbox one.

flymar
30-06-2015, 18:10
Options-->Camera-->Movement tab, set "Helmet Depth of Field" to "Off"

Manmadesmiith
30-06-2015, 18:16
Options-->Camera-->Movement tab, set "Helmet Depth of Field" to "Off"

Ty :)

AtomicSphincter
30-06-2015, 18:16
Thanks for the post flymar, I only started using helmet cam a few days ago, I'll try these settings next time I play!

flymar
30-06-2015, 18:19
Updated 1st post with my settings.

Olijke Poffer
30-06-2015, 18:21

EDIT: Settings I use.

Thanks for sharing your settings. Much appreciated..

speedmeister
02-07-2015, 11:20

The only reason I set world movement to max and g-forces to zero is because I prefer playing all my racing games/sims with the bumper view. IMO, PCARS' bumper view does a poor job of relaying suspension movement - the nose hardly dips or rises with acceleration/deceleration for example, so I have to make the camera stick to the car, to get the best suspension feedback.

Flaw3dGenius
02-07-2015, 19:08
Nice work, I had been messing about with the settings but it was all trial and error, SMS could be doing with adding a % symbol to the FOV Speed Sensitivity!

edit: Infact im still not understanding what the buttom 2 options do (Sensitive Speed)

flymar
02-07-2015, 20:27
Nice work, I had been messing about with the settings but it was all trial and error, SMS could be doing with adding a % symbol to the FOV Speed Sensitivity!

edit: Infact im still not understanding what the buttom 2 options do (Sensitive Speed)
If you want slowly increase between % values you set large difference in speed. If you want it go faster you go for lower difference. And if you plan karting you might get lower with it because if car max speed is lower then set minSSSpeed FOV will stay at minimum level (minSS x base FOV)

Whisky
02-07-2015, 20:52
nice Settings, just tried them and it feels better in my opinion.
i got 2 questions, world movement = the higher number the less rattle in the Cockpit?
helmet look to Apex = more like a static view at some Point until you set it to 0?

flymar
02-07-2015, 21:47
World movement is not shake. Let's say you're climbing the 10 deg hill. With WM 0 you'll look 10 deg down (relative to the car), with 85 you'll look 1,5 deg down. SO you'll see bit more of the steering wheel, gauges.
LTA - driver is looking into the turn, anticipating it. The higher you go, the more pronounced effect will be.

DayGlow
03-07-2015, 00:40
Personally I play with lower world movement. I have it set to 25. In RL your eyes and brain are great image stabilizers. If you are consintrating on the horizon then your brain will stabilize it. It feels more natural. With 25 instead of zero, large jarring movements will still shake the view. I find with the car moving vs the world I get a better sense of what the chassis is doing.

-IGN- Spinster
03-07-2015, 02:47
Awesome flymar, I was trying to figure out how to remove that blurriness in the helmet view.
Thanks
;)

Whisky
03-07-2015, 06:31
nice Settings, just tried them and it feels better in my opinion.
i got 2 questions, world movement = the higher number the less rattle in the Cockpit?
helmet look to Apex = more like a static view at some Point until you set it to 0?

thanks for your answer and help!

flymar
03-07-2015, 07:30
I think I'll make a screenshot explaining World movement and add it to OP. Work for tonight:)

Flaw3dGenius
03-07-2015, 10:07
World movement is not shake. Let's say you're climbing the 10 deg hill. With WM 0 you'll look 10 deg down (relative to the car), with 85 you'll look 1,5 deg down. SO you'll see bit more of the steering wheel, gauges.
LTA - driver is looking into the turn, anticipating it. The higher you go, the more pronounced effect will be.

I had world movement set high when racing round Bathurst it was one of the oddest experiences i've ever had!

speedmeister
06-07-2015, 13:19
I had world movement set high when racing round Bathurst it was one of the oddest experiences i've ever had!

Why's that? You prefer the horizon not moving at all, as if your car has no suspension, and moving like a tram on rails?