PDA

View Full Version : FA downshifting to 1st spins you out?

ApexCrisis
08-05-2015, 17:26
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiVeH2zilFg

Is this a bug or something wrong with the default car setup? When downshifting to 1st from 2nd and sometimes from 3rd to 2nd the car just spins out. There are some cars that do it, but most noticeable is the Formula A and it happens everytime. Is the default setup wrong, a bug with the physics or is this how it's meant to be?

Sankyo
08-05-2015, 17:28
Pretty sure you're downshifting too fast and locking up the rear wheels.

Diluvian
08-05-2015, 17:28
I don't know the exactly solution for that, but I know that "problem" and solve it with shifting to first gear before I start steering and be sure to shift to first gear without too high RPM. There's a big decelleration momentum on the rear when shifting to first gear what propably causes this spin.

Other possibility is "brake mapping" -> try to lower the "brake mapping" in the car setup (not tested)

Or is too much brake-power at the rear? maybe change brake-balance more to front?

x107
08-05-2015, 18:01
Yeah that's also happened to me before. Best thing to do is always downshift a bit slower into first, and make sure you aren't turning at the same time as Diluvian mentioned. You can also try some diff changes. I usually find that setting a higher deceleration amount helps along with being careful about the downshifts. It really can be a tricky car to drive and get the balance right, but its very fun and rewarding when you do.

could_do_better
08-05-2015, 18:06
As others say, brake first change down later when revs are low. If you change down too soon even if you don't spin you'll damage the gearbox or engine and not finish. I used to be terrible at this but have forced myself to brake to the correct speed before changing down. It's another example of the realism in the simulation element. Not an arcade feature in sight ��

Aldo Zampatti
08-05-2015, 18:21
My technique (aprart of everything said above which is 100% true and valid!) is keep my throttle pressed at about 5% when downshifting HARD. I've read that Adrian Sutil had to do this once in Sauber, and I started to apply that technique. It helps a lot

x107
08-05-2015, 18:47
Aldo I do that myself with the slight amount of the throttle on downshifts. Sometimes a quick blip of the throttle when downshifting to first really helps too. Also forgot to mention that setting brake balance to around 65 and reducing brake pressure to around 85 works well. The brakes won't slam on as fast, but it gives you a bit more time to stabilize the car during downshifts as a result.

Aldo Zampatti
08-05-2015, 19:03
Aldo I do that myself with the slight amount of the throttle on downshifts. Sometimes a quick blip of the throttle when downshifting to first really helps too. Also forgot to mention that setting brake balance to around 65 and reducing brake pressure to around 85 works well. The brakes won't slam on as fast, but it gives you a bit more time to stabilize the car during downshifts as a result.

...so that made you that fast... right? :P :)

Awesome advices X!!
Everyone.x107 is really fast indeed so you'd better read him carefully!

x107
08-05-2015, 20:53
Nah over a thousand hours playing the game might have had something to do with that ;) lol