PDA

View Full Version : Controller vs steering wheel

Iwanchek
08-05-2015, 18:36
It seems (looking the leaderboard) that majority ist on top places using steering wheel and it looks like that controllers will have a big gap in terms of times on a track, so, competitive racing (online) with controller will result with massive failure when chasing ppl with steering wheel.

So technically saying-I've payed 67€ for what-nothing?!

Hmmmm......

dvc
09-05-2015, 01:32
I'm sure you read previews and watched some videos before the game was out. You should know that pCARS was more on sim side than a game. You should then expected that playing with controller would be hard. Still they did amazing job making it playable on ps4 controllers.

Paul_Ellinas
09-05-2015, 02:36
I'm sure you read previews and watched some videos before the game was out. You should know that pCARS was more on sim side than a game. You should then expected that playing with controller would be hard. Still they did amazing job making it playable on ps4 controllers.

You sir said it all right.

hkraft300
09-05-2015, 03:24

+1 to that.

Although I'm playing with a controller at the moment, with a little tuning and practice you can get pretty competitive times. Consistency is a different matter again.

Guys near the top of the lap record leaderboards are properly talented. You won't come across many of them in the online lobbies. Although there's always a few freaks on the controllers near the top end.

I don't see what you're complaining about, Iwanchek. Get some practice, get online and give it a go. Pretty sure most online racers at the moment are using controllers anyway. Just because someone has a wheel doesn't mean they'll beat me on the track ;)

WhiteFox
09-05-2015, 06:05
I wouldn't have bought this game if I didn't have wheel to tell the truth. It's a basic one (GT80), but it gets the job done. :)
Actually, I'm pretty amazed on how much people who play with controllers still make it on the top leader boards of those events.
Even with my steering wheel, I can't get near them for the moment, so don't worry about it that much for now and just practice, practice, practice...

Padmod
09-05-2015, 06:40
It seems (looking the leaderboard) that majority ist on top places using steering wheel and it looks like that controllers will have a big gap in terms of times on a track, so, competitive racing (online) with controller will result with massive failure when chasing ppl with steering wheel.

Hmmmm......

Just because you have a wheel doesn't make you a racing God. You'll find most wheel users are committed racing fans who have had experience in others games/sims. Of course you get a slight advantage, but you can still put in some fast laps with a controller with enough practice.

You've paid €67 for a game that was marketed as a sim from the beginning. Not to be rude but the only person I see at fault is you for not knowing what you were buying.

Dunk
09-05-2015, 06:40
Old noob question, I have justed started career yeserday with a controller, are there restrictions with regards to using steering and braking assist in the controller set up, I found this made racing the carts manageable. Also how does changing the skill level effect ranking up etc. I reduced to 40 from the standard 50, and do all right. When I started up after installation I chose Amateur level I should have chosen Novice. I am amazed to see guys posting saying they are winning and lapping the field at skill level 100.

tmitch45
09-05-2015, 07:24
Surely none is lapping the field on 100 unless a car has a problem or has crashed?

Skrillex
09-05-2015, 08:16
I wouldn't have bought this game if I didn't have wheel to tell the truth. It's a basic one (GT80), but it gets the job done. :)
Actually, I'm pretty amazed on how much people who play with controllers still make it on the top leader boards of those events.
Even with my steering wheel, I can't get near them for the moment, so don't worry about it that much for now and just practice, practice, practice...

I have a T100 which regretfully I had to purchase just to play this game on ps4. I had a Logitech driving force gt. I will admit I am a little worried about driving with only a 270 degree of rotation. I won't really find out til next weekend as the game doesn't come out in the states til Tuesday. The T100 did alright with Iracing but I also only did indycar.

Skrillex
09-05-2015, 08:51
Surely none is lapping the field on 100 unless a car has a problem or has crashed?

Hmmmm......

There will always be people who CAN do it with a controller but they are far and few in between. In my opinion there is no debate between a wheel and a controller. The wheel will win every time. When I first joined iracing back in 2010 I did it with a PC controller. I didn't really get consistent or good until I got a wheel. So my best advice to the controller racers is suck it up spend $80 on the T80 wheel or spend $120 on the T100 that has ff and watch how good you will be. I won't lie it takes some practice but once you are good with a wheel you will NEVER race with a controller again.

Iwanchek
09-05-2015, 09:52

Gran Turismo is a simulation as pCars and still you can compete with a controller with all other wheel drivers!

Padmod
09-05-2015, 10:11
Gran Turismo is a simulation as pCars and still you can compete with a controller with all other wheel drivers!

Gran Turismo isn't really a sim in the same league as Project Cars. Additionally, because it's a PlayStation exclusive the emphasis on the catering to gamepad users is much higher. Trust me though, look through some posts discussing configuring Dualshock settings, you will be racing fast in no time if you put some effort into getting used to it. Check out Alan's videos on the Team VVV YouTube channel, he races with the pad very well.

Iwanchek
09-05-2015, 12:53
Gran Turismo isn't really a sim in the same league as Project Cars. Additionally, because it's a PlayStation exclusive the emphasis on the catering to gamepad users is much higher. Trust me though, look through some posts discussing configuring Dualshock settings, you will be racing fast in no time if you put some effort into getting used to it. Check out Alan's videos on the Team VVV YouTube channel, he races with the pad very well.

I'm doing very well on brands hatch with the Meec Gt (current im now 33th place with DS4), I'm just saying generally, even tho PC is full sim racer they should do better with the ds4!

One thing "u can be fastl" or "u can be competitive", two different things my friend. I bought a game that fully supports when instead ds4, amazing!

Rozza91
09-05-2015, 14:53
I'm on a ds4 control and I'm doing alright odd spin or mistake but bit of practice which a game like this probably requires and I'll be good

Francorchamps
09-05-2015, 15:09

Hmmmm......

I don't really get your point. I also play with a controller but I never expected to beat lap times from people who have there bed or living rooms set up like a real life simulator. I expect to beat the lap times of my friends though even if they have a wheel. All that will depend on how much time I will spend practicing.

You paid just like me €70 bucks for a game. Those guys on top of the leaderboards paid minimum €400. Just like me you don't want to spend that much money just to get your name on top of the leaderboard. If you are really serious about getting on top of the leaderboards you will have to do the same thing as the pilots we pretend to be in the game. Real champions invested heavily in their career.

If you played both you would know GT ain't a real simulator. It was the best driving experience on the playstation until now. Also bear in mind that GT is a Playstation exclusive so it is made to play with a controller. pCARS doesn't feel like it was made for consoles. It feels like it was made for PC. I never had a racing game where I had to adjust the settings of my controller to get proper grip so from that you already have noticed that it wasn't made with consoles as the main focus. In my opinion we should be glad that they made this game playable on consoles because this game shows that Gran Turismo isn't the pinnacle of "simulators". Gran Truism is a simulation of a simulator :)

Revvin
09-05-2015, 16:04
A racing game that works really well using a steering wheel? now there's a novel idea! The game works fine on joypad, I can race just fine against friends with T500 and T300 wheels and sometimes do better. Its quite obvious a racing game like pCars would work well using a steering wheel, what's your solution? artificially hold back wheel users just to create a level playing field? that's the only way you will get parity between devices, its just simple mechanics that a wheel and pedals with their wider range of travel will always work better than a gamepad with analogue sticks and triggers with limited travel.

Iwanchek
10-05-2015, 09:31
A racing game that works really well using a steering wheel? now there's a novel idea! The game works fine on joypad, I can race just fine against friends with T500 and T300 wheels and sometimes do better. Its quite obvious a racing game like pCars would work well using a steering wheel, what's your solution? artificially hold back wheel users just to create a level playing field? that's the only way you will get parity between devices, its just simple mechanics that a wheel and pedals with their wider range of travel will always work better than a gamepad with analogue sticks and triggers with limited travel.

works better on wheel then on ds4 controller!!

look the scoreboard on every online mode and skilled drivers on wheel canīt be compared with skilled ppl on ds4, thereīs big gap between on track (again look the leaderboard)!

TheJuzzy
10-05-2015, 10:48
I've been using a wheel since 2005 & wouldn't have it any other way . When V8 supercars 3 came out (in Australia) I was racing online using a controller , it soon became apparent that I had to get a Wheel , so I got a Logitech GT pro . It took a week to get use to it and soon I was winning race's and keeping up with the fast guys and girls . So here we are in 2015 with one of the best racing games I have ever played on a wheel (T500rs with all the add on's) . I say save your money for a sim rig and a ThrustMaster T500rs or T300rs (I'm on PS4) You'll never go back , I haven't .

Oh Yeah , Brilliant Game , a refreshing change .

uk-blacksheep
10-05-2015, 10:55
Can they not give us the ability to use the controller like a wheel and use the tilt function for steering ?

Seth2413
10-05-2015, 11:08
Just no comparison. Was using a controller and finding it hard at times to keep it keep it on the track. Bought a thrustmaster T80 and though it is basic I am driving heaps better. Adds to the realism.

Globaldutchy
10-05-2015, 11:26
I have to say, they are pretty much on par with the controllers. They did a mighty fine job. I do think that a steering wheel is more precise but it takes more time to master. So like all leader boards, the once on top are very very good. With or without a steering wheel, they master the game. Like someone else said in this topic, this game is probably more a sit then a game. Therefor you could benefit with a steering wheel. I'm definitely going to get one.

Revvin
10-05-2015, 18:40

look the scoreboard on every online mode and skilled drivers on wheel canīt be compared with skilled ppl on ds4, thereīs big gap between on track (again look the leaderboard)!

Try reading what I posted and you would understand why a wheel is the better choice, just because other games dumb down wheel support to artificially level the playing field doesn't make them right.

hkraft300
10-05-2015, 18:46

Obviously. Project Cars is a next-gen racing simulator. A car, in real life, would be very difficult to control with a X1/PS controller. On a racetrack, driving a car fast will be nearly impossible.

That's why, to do be competitive in a driving simulator, people get wheels and pedals.
In NFS, for example, a controller is fine.

*facepalm*

dvc
11-05-2015, 06:03
And also buying a wheel won't make you great driver anyway. Its all about practice and pationce. I spent 400$ on my wheel and guys with gamepads still beat me on track that I'm not familiar with.

Iwanchek
11-05-2015, 08:03
I've been using a wheel since 2005 & wouldn't have it any other way . When V8 supercars 3 came out (in Australia) I was racing online using a controller , it soon became apparent that I had to get a Wheel , so I got a Logitech GT pro . It took a week to get use to it and soon I was winning race's and keeping up with the fast guys and girls . So here we are in 2015 with one of the best racing games I have ever played on a wheel (T500rs with all the add on's) . I say save your money for a sim rig and a ThrustMaster T500rs or T300rs (I'm on PS4) You'll never go back , I haven't .

Oh Yeah , Brilliant Game , a refreshing change .

I believe u m8, I'll buy my self a wheel to but not now b'coz I don't have much space for the racing seat and wheel, this construction takes some Space. But the point is the the game is special for wheel drivers so why releasing it for let's say consoles which mostly uses controller for driving the game. Why not balancing a bit, not much, and of course the wheel makes a big difference but in just saying.

I was driving yesterday Brands Hatch (with ds4) the Merc GT3, Did solid .25.065, lost in the middle decor 0.350, but I can imagine how's with a damn wheel, I'll would be kicking ass big time!

Revvin
11-05-2015, 09:27
A steering wheel set up need not take up much room, have you considered any of these?:

Wheelstand Pro (http://wheelstandpro.com/)

Fanatec CSL Wheel Stand (http://www.fanatec.com/eu-en/wheel-stands-table-clamps/csl-wheel-stand-eu.html)

GT Omega Steering Wheel Stand (http://www.gtomegaracing.com/gt-omega-steering-wheel-stand)

The Ultimate Steering Wheel Stand (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultimate-Steering-Wheel-Stand-Black/dp/B006GNMOZE)

Playseat Challenge (http://www.playseatstore.com/challenge.html)

TheLethalDose
11-05-2015, 10:42
I get very similar times on a controller or wheel, the wheel is much more immersive though.

Iwanchek
11-05-2015, 10:46
A steering wheel set up need not take up much room, have you considered any of these?:

Wheelstand Pro (http://wheelstandpro.com/)

Fanatec CSL Wheel Stand (http://www.fanatec.com/eu-en/wheel-stands-table-clamps/csl-wheel-stand-eu.html)

GT Omega Steering Wheel Stand (http://www.gtomegaracing.com/gt-omega-steering-wheel-stand)

The Ultimate Steering Wheel Stand (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultimate-Steering-Wheel-Stand-Black/dp/B006GNMOZE)

Playseat Challenge (http://www.playseatstore.com/challenge.html)

Amazing. I didn't know about that tbh tho!! I'll consider to buy it!

Iwanchek
11-05-2015, 10:52
And also buying a wheel won't make you great driver anyway. Its all about practice and pationce. I spent 400$ on my wheel and guys with gamepads still beat me on track that I'm not familiar with.

I see me as a skilled player even tho with ds4 controller! With a wheeel I would be better and faster. Brands Hatch, Meecedes GT3-.25.0 still have room to improve b'coz I messe up middle
Sector by 0.350, so, when i tell everyone that in this sim game as in GT the wheel is better choice and faster one-everyone will say"you suck" or"you've to practice". So, at the end I'm asking my Self do I really suck and other are right or are other stupid with their opinion and when I see here what are they writing my
Conclusion is that they're "stupid"!

Iwanchek
11-05-2015, 10:53
Obviously. Project Cars is a next-gen racing simulator. A car, in real life, would be very difficult to control with a X1/PS controller. On a racetrack, driving a car fast will be nearly impossible.

That's why, to do be competitive in a driving simulator, people get wheels and pedals.
In NFS, for example, a controller is fine.

*facepalm*

Obviously you have 15 and obviously you don't know what are you talking my friend.

*facepalm*

Jaybird124
15-05-2015, 15:37
I see a lot of controllers in the leader boards. I find it hard to believe controllers outnumber wheels, so.....

kiteboy27
15-05-2015, 16:21
For me the biggest difference between a wheel and a controller is the fun and immersion.
When I first bought my wheel (for driveclub) I hated it for the first day or two- but now I think the enjoyment you get playing with a wheel is off the charts compared to a controller. You really feel like your driving a car (within reason), while I find going back to the controller a sterile experience, like all the action is going on on the screen and I'm just watching.

So for no other reason than fun I recommend getting a wheel (with forcefeedback), you won't regret it..

T300rs and Playseat Challenge

BSDShoes
15-05-2015, 17:04
Using a controller atm myself, haven't picked up a wheel yet for the PS4. Used to ahve a G25 for my PC years ago til it broke and didn't bother to get another since then.

And I also noticed a ton of controller users on the leaderboards, which is no surprise on console, on PC there'd be way more wheel users.

FoxMulder
15-05-2015, 17:24
These leaderboard times are all about knowing where and how to cut corners the most and get away with it without spinning out or getting your time invalidated.
I haven't played on all tracks but from what i've driven so far, some corners and turns can be ridiculously cut.

Jaybird124
15-05-2015, 19:11
Ah, makes sense the boards are up for each platform. Still, with such a focus on 'simulation' I imagine there are more people who take it seriously that use a wheel rhan the casual pick up and play gammers.

jdmnsprd
16-05-2015, 13:32
These leaderboard times are all about knowing where and how to cut corners the most and get away with it without spinning out or getting your time invalidated.
I haven't played on all tracks but from what i've driven so far, some corners and turns can be ridiculously cut.

Not to mention you have to have your car tuned to perfection

Vilsui
16-05-2015, 14:15
I'm really enjoying the game with controller right now. All the cars are at least okay to drive with DS4. May require some adjustment to settings but that is just one of the brilliant things in this game. But still I'm waiting for my wallet to fill up so I can buy T300rs and Playseat Challenge :D They cost a lot of money but with this game I think they are worth it.

Hatch3t
16-05-2015, 14:21
Not to mention you have to have your car tuned to perfection

Well, shouldn't the car be tuned to perfection either way?? I'm using the DS4 and had to reference other posts here to get the controller sensitivities and biases right before I could really start to enjoy playing the game, which honestly is a huge sign that the game was always deemed for the serious sim players that wete going to default to using a wheel anyway. After that I've found running the cars to be that much easier.

Despite all that, I feel I could obviously do better with a wheel. Just don't know which to get as I'm not looking to go crazy with it as they get expensive.

BigDipper
16-05-2015, 14:40
I got my T300 yesterday and i'm having a blast!!
So much more fun then with the DS4.
Trying different setups with wheel and the pedals for now.
Driving smoother then with ds4 not faster yet but i will be........

jdmnsprd
16-05-2015, 16:32
Well, shouldn't the car be tuned to perfection either way?? I'm using the DS4 and had to reference other posts here to get the controller sensitivities and biases right before I could really start to enjoy playing the game, which honestly is a huge sign that the game was always deemed for the serious sim players that wete going to default to using a wheel anyway. After that I've found running the cars to be that much easier.

Despite all that, I feel I could obviously do better with a wheel. Just don't know which to get as I'm not looking to go crazy with it as they get expensive.
Yesterday I bought the T80 which cost me $99. Coming from playing with Logitech G25 I knew what I was getting myself into so I didn't set my hopes to high. Took it out the box set it up with a desk I had laying around and I gotta say its not to bad its definitely more easier to race in this game with a wheel then it is with a controller I hated that I was always fidgeting wit the analog but not anymore