PDA

View Full Version : Using a wheel with hand controls

Kkj10
08-05-2015, 19:08
I've never been able to use a wheel and pedals mainly due to a lack of space. However getting PCars is making me itch to get a wheel. I won't be able to get pedals or a shifter but I can make space for a wheel and some sort of fold away mount for it.

My question is can most steering wheels accommodate the use of hand controls for throttle and brake? I would also like to keep the ability to use manual gears but with an auto clutch. Any recommendations?

Yorkyboy72
08-05-2015, 21:25
IMO it would be quite difficult/impossible to use a wheel without pedals. How would you keep accelerating if your hands are crossing over each other? :confused:

Padmod
08-05-2015, 21:47
I think you could possibly bind the accelerator and brake to buttons on the wheel face, but as Yorkboy said it might get difficult to keep track of things. Most (all?) wheels come packaged with pedals, and if you're already talking about getting wheel mounts they really won't take up much more space.

Using a racing wheel without pedals would be like rowing a boat without an oar, you won't get anywhere very fast or effectively.

Kkj10
08-05-2015, 23:39
If they can do it for real cars then why not for sim wheels? I'm thinking along the lines of using flappy paddles for acceleration and brake but they would of course need to be analogue and move with the wheel.

My PS4 is in the bedroom or else I'd never get to play it. Due to space limitations the wheel would need to be used on the bed so pedals aren't a option unfortunately. I'm can't be the only one that would like to use a wheel but can't use pedals.

Edit: Something like this is what I'm after,

http://www.openwheeler.co.uk/steering-wheels/thrustmaster/rgt-pro-clutch/gallery/

No idea if this one is compatible with PCars on the PS4 however. Some more digging is needed.

Globaldutchy
10-05-2015, 13:49
Not al wheels have over 360 degrees rotation. Look for a steer that has 270 degrees. U could use the buttons on the front of the wheel for acceleration and braking without looking control. You won't need to take the hand of the steer. But most steers are more realistic and use force feedback. So you would never be able to benefit from the whole steering and pedal Experience if you won't use them fully. In that case I would just go with a controller.

CookJah
10-05-2015, 18:06
on the bed? mate... your in for a struggle there. do you have anything to clamp it to? you'l be ok sitting on the edge of your bed maybe if you have a desk in front of you.

I have used the shifter pedals as brake and accelerator in the past, sometimes when my legs were too tired from work.. and it is possible... not the best long term solution though. gets a bit tricky when making aggressive turns from one direction to the other. its OK for some more casual arcade racing games.

Kkj10
10-05-2015, 18:30
I know it will need to be kept sturdy. I have a plan for that don't worry. Doesn't look like there's any supported wheels with the progressive paddles that I would need anyway.

brit999
10-05-2015, 18:57

This is my Playseat Challenge with a T300 and pedals attached and folded up. It could be folded smaller, but this is how small I need to fold it.

brit999
10-05-2015, 19:00

This is unfolded in front of my TV. It takes me 2 minutes to put it away as my wife drives into the driveway ;)

Kkj10
10-05-2015, 19:20
Looks good. Folded up there's enough space but unfolded there's no way it would fit. We have a stupidly sized bed (wife's idea) so there's not much floor space to have it all set up. I even had to mount the TV and speaker on the wall and put the PS4 etc in an adjacent built in wardrobe.

Of course I could move the PS4 downstairs to the living room but with a busy family life he amout of hours use I would get form it would be minimal.

tarbat
10-05-2015, 19:25
SpeedWheel and CronusMax?

Kkj10
11-05-2015, 06:06
Looks handy but I don't think I would want to hold that in the air for too long. Don't think that Cronusmax supports the use of it with the PS4 anyway.

tarbat
11-05-2015, 08:13
Looks handy but I don't think I would want to hold that in the air for too long. Don't think that Cronusmax supports the use of it with the PS4 anyway.

I don't really hold it in the air, I rest it on my legs most of the time. Should work with CronusMax and PS4, it just appears to Cronus as a standard XB360 controller.