PDA

View Full Version : Career Mode - McLaren F1 Tires Stay Cold No Matter What!?

CoreSaturn
08-05-2015, 19:31
I'm playing the Career mode on PC and ive reached the part where you have to race in the McLaren F1 in the 3hr endurance race. No matter how many laps i do the tires stay cold and stay blue. I've done lap after lap of me just sliding around over and over again looking for grip and the tires just wont heat up at all. Have i come across a bug? Done loads of online races and the tires heat up fine etc even when racing the karts in career mode the tires heated up. I'm going to have to skip this race if there is no solution because i cant do a 3hr race with cold tires its a joke!

kjay
08-05-2015, 19:45
Have you checked the actual tire temps? What are they? I'm wondering if there is a disconnect between the actual temps and the colors being displayed.

CoreSaturn
08-05-2015, 19:57
Have you checked the actual tire temps? What are they? I'm wondering if there is a disconnect between the actual temps and the colors being displayed.

There is no disconnect. They are COLD tires. I feel that they are cold, i spin all over the place no matter what. They dont heat up at all. Tried it with a number of cars now and they all stay cold even on a free practice out of career mode! Do lap after lap and no matter what car i slide everywhere and the tires stay cold.

Patrick Kulinski
08-05-2015, 21:33
Try to kill your tyres, f.e. by making burnouts. If they heat up then, great. Because then it is about keeping them hot by driving more aggressive than you might be doing now.

I'd like to chime in and ask for the actual temps the tyres have. BTW the Macca F1 has quite some soft suspension and the tyres als aren't that grippy, so it might be that the car feels sloppy although everything is great.

eero94
08-05-2015, 21:43

How to check actual tyre temps?

Umer Ahmad
08-05-2015, 21:47
It's in the HUD pages (also available in the MOTEC displays for GT cars, map the MOTEC button)

tweak
09-05-2015, 01:57
Hello.

I am also curious about this event and the issues with the cold tires. I have the same problem.

I tried to do this race for 3 hours and survived 2.5 hours and 2 laps ahead of 100% AI. I was killing it, lapping 2-3 seconds faster. But later on I noticed I started to drop pace a little bit and found the McLaren F1 really hard to drive about 2 hours in. I pit about every 25-35 minutes for 3/4 or max fuel load stints. The funny thing is that even though I set a custom pit strategy before I started the race, the first pitstop was loaded with the 'Default' strategy.... and I don't think the tires ever seemed to get changed. The other strange problem I found is that the tires in the pit strategy are not the same as the pre-race strategy screen. You have a choice of "McLaren F1" tires in the pre-race strategy, but during the race you have an entire suite of tires that appear to be race-spec tires (Soft, Medium, Hard, Inters, Full Wet). This doesn't seem right...

As I tried a few more pitstops I noticed my right front was staying cold for some reason. Other tires were optimal. At about the 2 hour mark I noticed 3 of the 4 tires were cold and the car was extremely twitchy and difficult to drive. I tried to back off but my car kept sliding and I started to rack up 'Off Track' penalties. I did not make ONE mistake for a whole 2 hours, nor was I aggressive on the tires. Then, I kept sliding off the track and after 2.5 hours I finally was disqualified. I am very unhappy for ever attempting to drive the full 3 hours when I could not figure out how-to keep the temps up.

BTW, when my tires were cold I was checking the telemetry HUD mode often and I saw the tires at about 150-165F all around. Not one tire appeared too cold.

My hunch is that as the night starts to roll in and you are racing in the dark, the track gets very cold. SO you might need to drop the tire pressures maybe? I will try another 3 hour stint and see if that helps. I am trying to beat Career on 100% and it will no doubt take me a while with the amount of time I have. 3 hours was a long drive :)

tweak
09-05-2015, 02:16
Hmmm I might have just figured out why....

If you are using the default setup (like I am) you start with tire pressures around 2.20 Bar. But if you setup a custom pit strategy for some reason the the tires will be set to max pressure at 2.75 Bar.

Easy to reproduce and fix:

Start the 3 Hours McLaren F1 Masters race session
Goto Edit Pit Strategy
Observe 'Default' strategy keeps tires at 2.20 Bar. They are also set to Medium compound. Don't know why these tire options show up because they aren't the right kind but whatever, leave them as Medium.
Go back to the Edit Pit Strategy menu and click 'Create New'
Observe that the tire strategy will be set to maximum pressure @ 2.75 Bar and Soft tires. Fix this by replicating the Default strategy's 2.20 Bar and set your desired Fuel. For me, I put the max 90L of fuel.

My tires seem to stay at optimal now :)

If your tires are still too cold then there is a chance you aren't pushing hard enough, as others have said already.

tweak
09-05-2015, 02:41
After driving a bit more I have some more suggestions.

Run at 1.82 Bar, a lower pressure to keep the temps up and increase a bit of grip. You'll probably wear more but you'll feel safer knowing the tires can retain temperature. I found that at 2.20 Bar I could keep the tires at optimal at around 155F to 165-170F for other corners of the car. If you lower the pressure you'll be able to keep the tires at about 170-185... If I race hard I can be at 190-205. I also increased the tire cambers a little bit to 0.9 at the rear and 1.9 at the front. I put -0.1 front toe, and kept the 0.2 rear toe. This should help a little with some stability.

After these changes I am lapping faster 1:35.xx times with the ability to go for 1:34.xx's if I really wanted to push it. The 100% AI can only get about 1:38.x or 1:39.x

Another bug I found is that if you restart the race your pit strategy gets reset to Default. So be sure to go back and set your custom strategy to 'active' before you start. Super annoying. Otherwise you could just set the strategy on your first pitstop and double check everything. But I like to keep the race going and not pause to fiddle with anything.

Hope this helps.

spinkick
20-05-2015, 03:09
I've noticed this too. Why are the tires cold leaving the pits, don't we have warmers?

thisisbleep
20-05-2015, 03:30
I've noticed this too. Why are the tires cold leaving the pits, don't we have warmers?

Tyre warmers are for specific series, this invitational event does not have them. No idea why, it just does not have it.

spinkick
20-05-2015, 05:42
I've noticed they are green for the full race, just not qualify or practice.

kjay
20-05-2015, 19:39
I'm playing the Career mode on PC and ive reached the part where you have to race in the McLaren F1 in the 3hr endurance race. No matter how many laps i do the tires stay cold and stay blue. I've done lap after lap of me just sliding around over and over again looking for grip and the tires just wont heat up at all. Have i come across a bug? Done loads of online races and the tires heat up fine etc even when racing the karts in career mode the tires heated up. I'm going to have to skip this race if there is no solution because i cant do a 3hr race with cold tires its a joke!
Do you have Tom Shanes Profiler? If not, try downloading it running it while you race. It will give you real time numbers.
BTW, do you have the same problem in a quick race/race weekend or is it only in the career mode?

tweak
21-05-2015, 22:33
An update on my tests...

I found that the 1.82 Bar tire pressure worked well for for the full 3 hours. I finished the race about 4 laps ahead of the 100% AI and never did I have a cold tire. The early stages of the race I had tire temps ranging from 180F to 205F. The left front corner was the warmest averaging always about 197-202F. The left rear stayed around 190-194 when nursing the tires. The right side could have been a little warmer, especially with Zolder being clockwise. But the key thing is consistency and to not enter with a smoky slide into corners. One stint of mine I had a rough time passing the stupid AI and my tires had been ruined from a few slides. The rest of the stint had very sharp grip falloff that I had to look after.

Best time was 1:34.2 during the race.

The frustrating part of running an endurance race with a road car like this was the initial issues of the race always reverting your Pit Strategy to 'Default'. If you miss it, your strategy will be kaput. The 90 Liters of fuel I ran for every stint lasts about ~40-45 mins If I remember correctly. So basically my strategy looked like this: 90, 90, 90, 90, 32 (for about 15 mins left). And yes the AI are very stupid and my biggest frustration is that there is no blue flag system for AI cars. They don't move out of your way so you must get under them under braking A LOT and even then they are really bad to race side-by-side with. Wish that aspect of AI were better....