PDA

View Full Version : Engineer

TimN
08-05-2015, 21:13
Hey everyone,

Did I miss something. When I go tune my car it says I can consult my engineer on changes, but I can't seem to get hold of him. I have an inbox message saying if you need me shout, but how do I get hold of him?

The game I'm liking, very real fell to it. But the menus are alien and not very intuitive.

aussiejeff
08-05-2015, 21:37
I too have searched in vain for the option that opens the dialogue between driver & engineer. Any tips from a dev?

Umer Ahmad
08-05-2015, 21:41
Oh sorry guys, definitely there is no in-game engineer to help you with tunings.

Maybe pick another team? :)

(In the Audio menu there is a volume slider for "Radio" so set that to max and in the GAMEPLAY menu there is a ON/OFF for Engineer so set that to ON. Other than those 2 there's nothing else to it.)

aussiejeff
08-05-2015, 21:57
Yeah, get very basic feedback in game "you can take him", "push harder" that sort of stuff - but I was under the impression your engineer could also offer some technical advice on actual SETUP changes that might improve lap times?

Umer Ahmad
08-05-2015, 21:58
no no no, definitely we did not get that into the game. You're gonna have to do your homework or find a nice nerd friend.

durino69
09-05-2015, 00:32
@Aussiejeff and TimN

check out http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?22501-Project-Cars-Tuning-Guide

enjoy

TimN
09-05-2015, 08:07
Ah ok, so I no how to tune the car. It just says in setup, speak to your engineer for tips. Seeing as the game is advanced, I was expecting some sort for basic siri to pop up.
So the email you get in the inbox when you start a career from the engineer offering help is meaningless?

Invincible
09-05-2015, 08:56
Unfortunately yes. Art the moment at least. But if I recall correctly, it is a feature which will be looked into for later patches.

jaymondo
11-05-2015, 20:04
I hope this gets sorted, as the email from the engineer is very misleading. Also, without the option to import a setup, like all versions of Simbins games, your left a little on your own, if your not a "nerd" that is. and I am certainly not, well not with racing cars anyhow !:D

g33k hack3rs
11-05-2015, 21:31
Having the ability to load/import tunes from others would be very helpful.

Any idea if the setups between PC/PS4/XB1 is comparable?
Seems PC has the advantage at the moment with apps to help with tuning and data analysis. Might force me to buy the PC version for general testing and setup work and then transfer it to the XB1 if we don't have the same access for data analysis.

Nats
12-04-2016, 21:20
Yes this has been surprising me as well - all this talk about the engineers name and getting the engineer's advice etc and yet I havent been able to find him to talk to. I thought I was missing a whole section of the gameplay! They need to take those text things out of the game its very misleading.

hkraft300
13-04-2016, 01:54
Should have a link to Jussi instead :p
Well, the garage section of this forum.

Rambo_Commando
13-04-2016, 04:02
To be honest I really don't know how they would implement that feature to be effective. I would be something basic like "I have understeer", engineer would say "increase front wing." There is so much more involved that you are better off learning the 'cause and effects' of the parts of a race car and YouTube has a wealth of information regarding this.

I think the engineer feature would be better suited to asking for information like changes in track temps, weather, damage, race position, tire wear, when to pit for rain tires, teammates position, opponents position, etc...

Motorhead Racer
13-04-2016, 04:51
To be honest I really don't know how they would implement that feature to be effective. I would be something basic like "I have understeer", engineer would say "increase front wing." There is so much more involved that you are better off learning the 'cause and effects' of the parts of a race car and YouTube has a wealth of information regarding this.

I think the engineer feature would be better suited to asking for information like changes in track temps, weather, damage, race position, tire wear, when to pit for rain tires, teammates position, opponents position, etc...

I have to agree, at most with the set up part it could perhaps give more of an explaination about what adjusting certain parts do, but the issue is to complicated, one person will a little understeer might need to increase front wing, another might need suspension adjustment or brake bias changed, there are just too many driving styles

hkraft300
13-04-2016, 10:25
+1 to what rambo said.
Reckon the resources to implement an in game engineer are better spent elsewhere. Leave stuff like crew chief up to 3rd party devs and the player community :)

Rambo_Commando
14-04-2016, 07:55
One wish I have is to make the race engineer an actual player. It would work like this. In multiplayer, two players are required per car. One player drives, the other acts as race engineer. Players can swap positions only during pit stops once the race begins. The player that drives is forced to cockpit view without any access to HUD elements or setup screens while the engineer has access to all HUD elements along with telemetry. The race would work like this: During practice the engineer player sets up the car while the driver player waits. The driver can not see what the engineer player is doing, he just sits in the car. Both players can communicate with each other via party chat or whatever. Once the engineer player is done setting up the car he selects "ready" which prompts the driver to "drive". The driver heads out on track and communicates with the engineer changes to be made then heads back to pit. The engineer can chose to make changes to the setup if they please. Qualifying works the same way as practice. During the race, the engineer player has to notify the driver of all relevant information like position, lap times, intervals, fuel use, tire wear, when to pit, damage, etc...Once the driver player pits, the team can switch positions but not mandatory,so the driver becomes the engineer and the engineer becomes the driver, this will also increase the pit stop time. Hopefully this idea can make it on one of Ian Bell's "lists".

I think with the right group of online players or a league, this can be quite exciting or maybe I'm just out to lunch. What do you guys think?