PDA

View Full Version : 8 hours of gameplay: my thoughts

0zzy94
09-05-2015, 06:08
Hey guys, new here.

Never knew about Pcars when it was kickstarted. First heard about it 6 months ago and have been avidly waiting since.

I got it on PS4, I race with all aids off on my T500rs, 100% difficulty and varying length.

Cars raced a lot: Karts, S Karts, RUF R8GT, Formula Rookie, FB, FA, LMP1 etc.

Karts:

When I first started using karts my wheel went into crazy mode. Either super sensitive or flapping about everywhere. Did everything to dial it in, eventually got it within raceable levels. Didn't enjoy the first few tracks, the crazy sized kerbs (on a dedicated kart track!?), crazy AI (in a kart, one touch and it's over...), and sporadic handling weren't for me. As the tracks grew things improved. Having driven karts a lot in real life, they don't really oversteer that much... rather they 'skit' laterally along the ground, effectively power understeering and the rubber slides sideways along the ground. This is in the game, but I noticed at certain points around the track (The irish kart track, T1, 75% into the corner) the kart will just snap into oversteer. Every time no matter what your inputs. I assumed it was a bump, but still it was weird. Also, turning the wheel more than 90 degrees would cause the kart to simply do a U turn... A literal 180. Finally, karts have guard rails to prevent you from driving up someones backside, the game has you drive over every kart you touch with some form of magnetism going on. Overall... I wouldn't race the karts again and am glad I passed it.

S Karts:

Much, MUCH better. The skitting / lateral sliding sensation was caught perfectly, I felt it in the wheel and in the audio. I can't really criticise these vehicles, can't think of much wrong with them.

RUF R8GT:

I only drove this car vs Ariel Atoms and Bac mono's around Brands Hatch GP in an early one-off event. I had some issues. First of all I expected more power oversteer of which there is minimal. I also had a very weird issue going into turn 1 Brands Hatch. I know the corner is off-camber and has gradient changes but the amount of difficulty to get the RUF to turn in without locking the rears was crazy. I must have attempted it at least 30 times before it went in, and even then I was going so slowly everyone overtook me. It seems unrealistically bad, at one point I got so angry I 90% front brake bias and STILL the rear left locked and sent the back end out. I understand this is a rear wheel - rear engine car but the rear brakes just seemed so completely different from other sims (in the case of this car and track combo). I also had a very weird understeer problem with the last corner, every time the car would just understeer wide whenever there was a sweeping bend. Overall, the car felt heavy and clumsey something I never expected from a RUF. I had a lot of fun and these issues are probably issues I as a driver must dial out of the car via the settings, still seems strange though.

F Rookie:

Beautiful. Absolutely beautiful. Having some more rear-brake locking issues in the sweepers at snetterton, but I expected as much. Love driving this thing, difficult but fun.

Formula B / A: Highlight of the game. I cannot fault either, driving these is like the ultimate experience in any game I've played. Makes Codie's F1 series look downright arcadey in comparison. Does suffer from some generic issues which I'll label below though.

LMP1: Same as above. It seems hyper racing cars are Pcars strong point.

Generic points:

- Fix the AI! I like aggresive opponents but they turn in on you from the outside, ram you from behind and drive like drunken idiots. Throw in the fact that if you qualify any lower than 6th (and do not run restarts) you will not make it out of the first lap alive, simples. If you're like me and you like open wheel cars it's even worse because you'll be flipped within a few corners. Right now I'm sticking to time trials and only racing in 10 or less races with enclosed wheels or it'd be impossible.

- Weird 'instant snap' that occurs randomly, afflicting all cars on any corner. Gladly it's quite rare.

- Kerbs seem very high. Most racing cars have no issue with kerbs yet road cars like the Huayra will easily be sent out of control by a kerb on Hockenhiem, don't mind this too much but I like relying on kerbs to get that nice vibration through the wheel.

- Random bug. Wheel works fine one race, another race suddenly the wheel refuses to stay in the middle and whenever I point in straight forward something mechanical within the wheel forces me either left or right, then if I counteract it'll shoot me the other way. So I zig-zag down the straight. It goes away once you start a new event (so far anyway, I hope).

P.S Few questions: What's the difference between the two T-cam views for open wheel cars? How are we supposed to know how much fuel goes in? Why is fuel measured in litres when fuel's volume will change depending on temperature - in the motorsport world they measure it in weight which does not change.

Spent most my day. Don't get me wrong - it's a rough diamond that needs patches and polishing but I'm absolutely loving it! Will definitely tide me over until the Witcher 3, Batman and F1:2015 arrive (and probably beyond...)

theredshore
09-05-2015, 06:12
i agree with what you say about karts, in game(not the superkarts) they turn like an oil tanker turns, but in real life they are nimble and so much fun but in this game they are a chore because of the insane over steer that would never happen, i also totally agree that its a rough diamond

Aldo Zampatti
09-05-2015, 06:17
Hey guys, new here.

Never knew about Pcars when it was kickstarted. First heard about it 6 months ago and have been avidly waiting since.

It was CrowdFunded... Don't say the K word or my fellow WMD members will get angry :D

Nice feedback overall. Thanks!

Alan Dallas
09-05-2015, 06:21
For the GT3 cars set the Aids to 'Real', it's the way they were developed. They'll be much faster and easier to get deep into corners without the car coming unglued.
FYI, the dev that setup the RUF RGT-8(A race prep'd Porsche 991 basically) GT3 and the AI is a real life Porsche race driver.

The amount fuel volume changes with temperature is so infinitesimally small it wasn't worth modeling. Besides, the temperature in a fuel tank is pretty static.

JonZ
09-05-2015, 06:35
i agree with what you say about karts, in game(not the superkarts) they turn like an oil tanker turns, but in real life they are nimble and so much fun but in this game they are a chore because of the insane over steer that would never happen, i also totally agree that its a rough diamond

Did you tried to tune it? Yeah tuning a Kart sounds crazy, as my short experience with real life karts didn't required any... but after adjusting the differential it felt good after few tricks.

0zzy94
09-05-2015, 06:41
What do you mean real?

At the start of the game I turned all aids off and set everything to max. Is there another option for physics somewhere I haven't seen?

I don't think the RUF I was running was a race spec one, it didn't have any wings or livery. If it was a Porsche I could tell you the model for a fact, but not to sure with RUFs other than its a new generation 991 high end 911. Yeah I know he's a porsche driver, but a: it isn't a porsche ;) b: the devs still have to code it, and lets face it there are some issues still in the game. Overall, I get what you're saying though. Just didn't expect it to feel so heavy and clumsey.

Btw guys, I pre-ordered it so have a code for the modified car pack. New to pre-orderings and stuff, how do I activate it?

Oh and I shall not mention the K word again... :L

edit: how do you look left or right? This is a must-have to avoid all those homicidal maniacs

Padmod
09-05-2015, 06:48
- Random bug. Wheel works fine one race, another race suddenly the wheel refuses to stay in the middle and whenever I point in straight forward something mechanical within the wheel forces me either left or right, then if I counteract it'll shoot me the other way. So I zig-zag down the straight. It goes away once you start a new event (so far anyway, I hope.

I believe this is an issue with the T500 specific to Project Cars on PS4 and has been acknowledged by Thrustmaster. I'm sure it'll get sorted soon.

Alan Dallas
09-05-2015, 06:57
What do you mean real?
Real, as in if the car comes equipped with Aids in the Real Life version of the car it will use them. Also if the car you're driving in game has no real life aids then you get none.

Franco Ferrari
09-05-2015, 08:01
- Random bug. Wheel works fine one race, another race suddenly the wheel refuses to stay in the middle and whenever I point in straight forward something mechanical within the wheel forces me either left or right, then if I counteract it'll shoot me the other way. So I zig-zag down the straight. It goes away once you start a new event (so far anyway, I hope).

About this issue, you should check whether you have the damage turned on and at which level.
Since you mentioned high kerbs and the huayra... I though you may have run over a kerb too fast, damaging something, causing all sorts of driving problems.
Worth giving a try though.

Tourgott
09-05-2015, 08:34
- Fix the AI! I like aggresive opponents but they turn in on you from the outside, ram you from behind and drive like drunken idiots. Throw in the fact that if you qualify any lower than 6th (and do not run restarts) you will not make it out of the first lap alive, simples. If you're like me and you like open wheel cars it's even worse because you'll be flipped within a few corners. Right now I'm sticking to time trials and only racing in 10 or less races with enclosed wheels or it'd be impossible.

Agreed. I only play Formula A because it's the best part of the game (at least for me), it's great and a lot of fun, but the AI is actually bad. Especially for Open Wheelers it should be more like in real F1.

Aldo Zampatti
09-05-2015, 17:14
Agreed. I only play Formula A because it's the best part of the game (at least for me), it's great and a lot of fun, but the AI is actually bad. Especially for Open Wheelers it should be more like in real F1.

Haven't you see Grosjean 2013 season or Maldonado's 2014? We are inspired by Lotus F1 team! :)

Now seriously, What do you mean that in openwheelers AI is not good? can you give me some examples? I'm a FA driver in PCARS and I use them a lot, and I must admit that when I dial them very high (93/95% is what I use), they are VERY aggressive.

But that actually allowed me to be really prudent with my overtaking and watching my line to avoid being overtaked, that works for me.

Tourgott
09-05-2015, 17:37
Haven't you see Grosjean 2013 season or Maldonado's 2014? We are inspired by Lotus F1 team! :)

Now seriously, What do you mean that in openwheelers AI is not good? can you give me some examples? I'm a FA driver in PCARS and I use them a lot, and I must admit that when I dial them very high (93/95% is what I use), they are VERY aggressive.

But that actually allowed me to be really prudent with my overtaking and watching my line to avoid being overtaked, that works for me.

I know you're joking with Maldonado but I have to say it's actually cool that the AI makes mistakes and even crashes (with the player) because that's life.
But they are a little bit too aggressive especially on the first lap. It seems that they are absolutely not aware of the player. If I brake carefully into the first corner (because there are cars in front of me) they crash into me. It's better later in the race but still a small issue.

The second point which I think needs a little bit work is their speed on the straight. Overall they are fast (I'm on 90% and they met exactly my lap times) but if it comes to their speed on the straight they seem too slow. I don't know if slipstream (for Formula A) is too much or if they don't use DRS (although their rear wing is open)?!

Aldo Zampatti
09-05-2015, 17:41
Rear wing open all the time is a known-issue already reported, yes!

Straight line speed in FA it was reported also I believe.

Thanks for your feedback I'll be sure of posting them!

0zzy94
09-05-2015, 18:12
it isn't just that the AI are to aggresive, it's there opening lap behaviour.

There is simply to many accidents on the first few corners. The AI will slow to a crawl with cars all over the place and if you try to brake to avoid you'll get T boned or rammed. I think the solution is for the AI to a) make less mistakes on the opening laps to avoid congestion b) Have them swerve around the incident c) Code the AI to tend to filter into single file for the opening corners d) make the AI actually fear damaging their car.

About the 'real' setting, I had that turned off! Might explain odd handling issues, that's a very cool feature.

Anyone else think visual damage is lacking? Only body panel I've broken off is the front end of a S kart. Not sure about the mechanical damage, haven't felt much difference after big shunts although once or twice after pitting I was told the gearbox was blown. Wish the engineer would update you with damage indicators.

Yorkie065
09-05-2015, 18:37
Generic points:

- Weird 'instant snap' that occurs randomly, afflicting all cars on any corner. Gladly it's quite rare.

- Kerbs seem very high. Most racing cars have no issue with kerbs yet road cars like the Huayra will easily be sent out of control by a kerb on Hockenhiem, don't mind this too much but I like relying on kerbs to get that nice vibration through the wheel.

P.S Few questions: What's the difference between the two T-cam views for open wheel cars? How are we supposed to know how much fuel goes in? Why is fuel measured in litres when fuel's volume will change depending on temperature - in the motorsport world they measure it in weight which does not change.

Replies to your generic points:

Instant Snap - Go into your cars setup, find the deceleration diff lock and up it to 60% or above. Ideally 100% if you want to minimize the snap (usually coming from rear axle locking when downshifting) of oversteer as much as possible but you loose a chunk of the engine braking which you would have to account for. But generally I find it easier to drive through the corners with it as it's not decelerating too much too rapidly.

High Kerbs - I don't think even in the real world, road cars handle kerbs too well. Yeh they can take them, but you can't hammer them as much as you would in a race spec car so avoid them if possible.

Random Bug - It sounds like damage. What from I don't know as you didn't state whether or not you had made contact with anything, but it sounds like the tyre alignment has been knocked out and you have suspension damage.

T-Cams - One is a "bonnet/hood" cam and the other is a roof cam. Just obviously open wheelers don't really have either so they both look very similar and are in similar positions.

Fuel - You're meant to test how much fuel you use per lap in practice sessions but this can only really be done with certain cars, namely the ones with MoTeC displays. With those, you can see on that display you're average fuel consumption per lap and how much you did on the last lap. Using those, you can come up with a rough estimate of how much fuel you need. But your points are valid and will hopefully be something to include in the future. Not everyone knows about the MoTeC display (dash behind steering wheel in cockpit cam. You can assign a button to it and you can flick through various pages of info with it too) so something in the cars setup to make it clearer would be a good idea.

Hope this helps :)

theredshore
09-05-2015, 18:38
Did you tried to tune it? Yeah tuning a Kart sounds crazy, as my short experience with real life karts didn't required any... but after adjusting the differential it felt good after few tricks.
thank you i will try, quite frankly the worst car in the game for me is some lotus turbo piece of shit, but at least tuning will make the karts better, thank you

Aldo Zampatti
09-05-2015, 18:48
:) try to be gentle with your wording, please. Edit your post if possible

And Turbos are hard, very hard (some) to master!