PDA

View Full Version : Cheapest Supported Wheel

Loochst3r
09-05-2015, 07:10
Can anyone tell me the very cheapest wheel that's supported by Project Cars for the XB1?
Having never owned a wheel before, i would rather spend as little as possible to just see if a wheel is for me or not before investing in a serious setup.

Thanks in advance.

TheJuzzy
09-05-2015, 07:27
Check the ThrustMaster web site , I'm on PS4 so I'm not sure what you'll need for Xbox one . if you get one you'll be jumping in at the deep end , it took me an hour and a half to set up my T500rs but work's fine , how ever I've been using wheel's for 10 years

the dark one
09-05-2015, 08:14
The problem with the cheaper wheels is there's no force feedback!! If you can afford it and you're into driving games then go all out and get the thrustmaster TX Italia edition.

Loochst3r
09-05-2015, 08:20
I'm not fussed about FFB for now tbh, i just want something cheap and cheerful to get used to using a wheel while i save for a full setup.
At the moment i'm using (or attmepting to use) the controller and i'm close to completely giving up, so just want a cheap temporary wheel option so i can at least continue to play while saving.

Been looking online and it looks like the Thrustmaster Ferrari 458 Spider is my cheapest choice.

the dark one
09-05-2015, 08:27
Yeah that's the cheapest option out there.. Think It comes in at roughly 65/$90.

r94
09-05-2015, 08:38
Does anyone have any experience with Thrustmaster TX??? I'm interested in how TX pedals (standard ones) work, they look really cheap and fragile.

the dark one
09-05-2015, 08:43
Mine have been solid as a rock! I've only had 2 months but no problems yet

Tristicles
09-05-2015, 09:01
Hi,

The cheapest wheel compatible with the Xbox One is the Thrustmaster Ferrari 458 Spider, this does not have force feedback or variable degrees of steering, but other than this is pretty much identical to the Italia in terms of size, layout and buttons.

In regards to the Italia version of this, the Pedals are solid as said above, they are adequate for the job, obviously there are better pedals out there, but they are not terrible and you would be paying a lot more for a better wheel/pedal set-up for the Xbox One currently.

Personally speaking, a wheel gives a smoother experience as the game seems to be designed around a wheel input, with compatibility being made for controllers, whereas traditionally in consoles games are made for a gamepad, with wheel compatibility being tacked on.

Hope this helps,
Tristicles

Seps1974
09-05-2015, 09:13
Keep in mind that a cheap wheel may not provide you the best experience and it will give you a wrong idea about wheels.

Squirrel
09-05-2015, 09:15
So is the Thrustmaster 458 spider wheel for 40 worth a punt? cant afford the TX just at this moment.

MillsLayne
09-05-2015, 09:20
I'm not fussed about FFB for now tbh, i just want something cheap and cheerful to get used to using a wheel while i save for a full setup.
At the moment i'm using (or attmepting to use) the controller and i'm close to completely giving up, so just want a cheap temporary wheel option so i can at least continue to play while saving.

Been looking online and it looks like the Thrustmaster Ferrari 458 Spider is my cheapest choice.

This is exactly what I'm doing. I actually ordered a Spider today while I wait for Tuesday's release here in the States. At some point, I do want a decent sim rig setup, but I just can't afford it right now, and the Spider had pretty good reviews from what I've read. Basically, if you don't want to drop $300 on a wheel, this is the way to go.

r94
09-05-2015, 10:41
Mine have been solid as a rock! I've only had 2 months but no problems yet

Good to hear that.
Basically I was torn between Mad Catz, Thrustmaster and Fanatec.

Main problem with Fanatec is price and availability (I need to get a stupid code to be able to buy 700 wheel base?), so my second choice was TX and from what I read and seen it looks like a decent wheel. Like I've mentioned in my comment above my only concern were pedals.
Can you also please confirm that you can change rims on that TX wheel? I don't like the look of the standard TX rim, so was wondering if you can swap them for a different one.

Seps1974
09-05-2015, 11:39
Yes, you can change rims on the Thrustmaster TX.

r94
09-05-2015, 11:40
Yes, you can change rims on the Thrustmaster TX.

awesome news

Seps1974
09-05-2015, 11:56
http://www.thrustmaster.com/products/platforms/xbox-one
List of products available for the X One ;)

Lotusnut
09-05-2015, 12:06
Back when I was playing forza 3 I bought a cheap Logitech wheel with very basic force feedback. Hated every minute of thing, could hardly even keep the car in a straight line.
When forza 5 came out I decided to take the plunge and bought a tx. You can't even compare a proper wheel to a cheapie.
My advice save up and do it right. The cheap wheel will be as frustrating as playing with a pad.

Edit: BtW had my wheel since October last year and I'm not gentle with it. Has been perfectly reliable, never had any issues.

Tristicles
09-05-2015, 12:09
As mentions by Seps, it won't be a full experience, however I think it will be a better experience than a gamepad.

I was torn between the Madcatz and TX 458 Italia wheel, I actually ordered the Madcatz as I liked the look of the wheel more, but the order was cancelled by the seller and I ended up ordering the other.

I did a lot of research after my order was cancelled for the Madcatz, from all that I read and heard, the TX had supposedly better force feedback, but the finish wasn't as nice as the Madcatz and the Madcatz had a better pedal set. They are around the same kind of price from new, about 20 or 30 more for the Madcatz.

Another plus of the TX is the range of add-ons you can get, if you have the wallet for it, you can get an H-pattern gear shifter, different wheels, 3 pedal set for a clutch, however as mentioned this comes at quite a cost.

The Fanatec, as mentioned above is criminally priced in my opinion and was way out of my price range so I cannot comment on this as I have done no reading on it.

Bloodylipp
09-05-2015, 12:20
So is the Thrustmaster 458 spider wheel for 40 worth a punt? cant afford the TX just at this moment.

Ive had this wheel for 3/4 a year and its fine. Ya it doesnt have forsce feedback, but it works great and will suit needs. Yes just like they all say, ffb on a better wheels is better. But if I spent $400 on a wheel my wie would slit my throat. She about kicked me when I spent $100 on the cheapo. But like i said, the cheapo is great.

Ryzza5
09-05-2015, 12:30
As someone who owns a good wheel, my personal preference would be to use a gamepad over a wheel with no FF (I can turn it down/off on mine). You will always be second-guessing yourself which could lead to vehicle instability (at least if you start turning assists off). Don't underestimate the benefit of Input Filtering on a gamepad. It's not impossible, but it's not fun. It's not just a case of can't go back after trying it either, I remember my first Thrustmaster wheel for PS1/GT1 - I probably used it for a few days then went back to gamepad, never to use a wheel again until the G25 came out with stellar reviews.

It might be worth checking online for cheaper/second hand wheels that are compatible and have FF, although at this time there may not be many.

Hope this helps. YMMV

Seps1974
09-05-2015, 12:37
Ive had this wheel for 3/4 a year and its fine. Ya it doesnt have forsce feedback, but it works great and will suit needs. Yes just like they all say, ffb on a better wheels is better. But if I spent $400 on a wheel my wie would slit my throat. She about kicked me when I spent $100 on the cheapo. But like i said, the cheapo is great.

My tip, buy a $400 wheel and tell your wife it costed $70. :barbershop_quartet_

toxiclego
09-05-2015, 15:02
Go to inside sim racing they do a review of the tx wheel and all the upgrades for it.
The wheel recieved good reviews they didnt like the factory wheel though.

Good to hear that.
Basically I was torn between Mad Catz, Thrustmaster and Fanatec.

Main problem with Fanatec is price and availability (I need to get a stupid code to be able to buy €700 wheel base?), so my second choice was TX and from what I read and seen it looks like a decent wheel. Like I've mentioned in my comment above my only concern were pedals.
Can you also please confirm that you can change rims on that TX wheel? I don't like the look of the standard TX rim, so was wondering if you can swap them for a different one.