PDA

View Full Version : tyre temperature?

wraithsrike
09-05-2015, 09:01
Guys what's the deal regarding getting tyre's up to temp?

I've been noticing I'm spending all my practice time sliding around the track on cold tyres therefore wasting my setup time as you can't set your car up on cold tyre's.

My tyres don't start to green until around lap 5/6 no matter what I set my tyres too from real to x7.

At the moment I'm just using my practices to warm up my tyre's and that's not what a practice is for.

wraithsrike
09-05-2015, 09:32
Something not right here, I've just done the Caterham qualifier and my tyre's remained cold from start to finish, in practice it took 10 plus laps to get the tyre's up to temp but then as soon as I pitted to start doing my setups on my return my tyre's were stone cold again so i could not tell if my tuning worked, couldn't get tyres back to temp again as my time had run out.

So in short I couldn't set my car up and both practice and qualifications were done on cold tyre's,,,,, where am I going wrong?

Kamikaze_Urmel
09-05-2015, 09:36

I've been noticing I'm spending all my practice time sliding around the track on cold tyres therefore wasting my setup time as you can't set your car up on cold tyre's.

My tyres don't start to green until around lap 5/6 no matter what I set my tyres too from real to x7.

At the moment I'm just using my practices to warm up my tyre's and that's not what a practice is for.

IIRC the color coded temperature in the standard HUD is using different values to change color depending on temperatures.

Try to switch to the telemetry HUD (standard button should be the Left D-Pad thing). Temps there are far more detailed. The colors(for each temp) there are also not limited to blue/green/red. It's also showing the real tire temperature in your selected measuring unit (C/F) :o

What you should know is the following:
The colorcodes in the standard HUD are only switching to green when the tire is at it's ideal temp.If it's a few C under ideal it will show you blue, even though the tire is up to temp. :p

Bleis
09-05-2015, 09:46

Whats the air temp? Whats the track Temp? Try lowering your tire pressure, and monitor it?
I use the pCars Dash APP, to read out my tire temp...:cool:

Yorkie065
09-05-2015, 09:47
As far as I know, this is only happening with the road cars? If someone can confirm this and that it's not happening in race specs cars that would be useful. Also note, different tyre compounds take more or less time to get up to temperature with tyre pressures also taking a big part in the process too. Try either changing tyre compounds, dropping the tyre pressures a little to help aid this process, but weather conditions have a big part to play. Track is usually at it's hottest mid afternoon, so if you're practicing at night or early in the morning or sunset, the car will take longer to get temperatures up to optimal and it will be more difficult to hold them there.

With race spec cars you shouldn't really have any issues. If they don't come pre-heated, then usually I find it takes just over a lap to get them warmed up, and it's usually only on a second flying lap that I find temperatures around optimal (80-100 degrees C).

wraithsrike
09-05-2015, 09:59
Cheers guy's for the help, all seems to make sense, only thing is now and this may well be me being thick but I can't see the tyre temperature in the heads up? I can see brake temperature reading around 250 but not tyre temperature?
Footnote :
Xbox one

slovoflud
09-05-2015, 13:03
Same here

Ps4

Ryanj98
09-05-2015, 13:46
my tyres seem to overheat quite a lot any suggestions on cooling them?

Yorkie065
09-05-2015, 15:17
my tyres seem to overheat quite a lot any suggestions on cooling them?

Drive less aggressively and up your tyre pressures a little, a few other tweaks to your setup will help as well. Also if you're running with ABS or TC off, be more cautious on the brake or throttle as that will cook the tyres if you're constantly locking brakes or wheel spinning out of corners.

jake92
28-05-2015, 16:08
#Yorkie065
If my Rear Left tyre is overheating (RUF GT3 Catalunya GP TT), and i want to up the pressure to get a cooler tyre, should i up the pressures on all the others tyres as well, to keep a balanced guy?

And also i find it hard to hear/feel if the car is locking up (i don't know if its front or rear, because i mostly brake in a straight line, and gradually lift off the brake) - i dont have oversteer in corner entry, neither understeer.
97 % pressure
52 % front - 48 % rear

- and how do i know if im bottoming out? I don't hear any metal sounds in PCars when cornering, so i figured im not bottoming.

rocafella1978
20-08-2015, 14:02
since release of game i have not figured out what to set 4x tire pressures to for night racing in GT4 and GT3 classes, no matter what pressure and what compound, 1.5 to 2.5 bar, tire temps drop after 2-3x laps to under 80 degress celsius...struggle keeping them at temp, start sliding and pushing into corners and out of corners with wheel spin to keep temps up, I can't imagine it is that bad at night for temps..i knownit is cooler and yes effects it, but not being able to keep even mid 80's or close to 90's...hmm hmm hmm! very strange!