PDA

View Full Version : Game not launching on Steam

Z4N4
09-05-2015, 10:15
I have bought the game on Steam but impossible to launch it :(
Other games launch fine but when I try Project CARS I see the "Preparing to launch" windows then nothing...

My config:
Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670
Intel Core i5 2500K

Here is what I checked/tired so far:
- unistalled and downloaded again
- checked cache integrity
- updated latest drivers
- disabled anti virus

Please save me ! I still can't play the game this is so fustrating :(

Z4N4
09-05-2015, 12:47
Anyone ? There must be someone that encountered this issue too :(

Morgan Henstridge
09-05-2015, 12:52
Hi Z4N4, Are you using an Administrator account on the PC?? First install will install some redistributables, and it may be stalling on this step?

edit - Also, have you tried rebooting the PC??

Z4N4
09-05-2015, 12:58
Yes of course I tried rebooting multiple time and I'm using an Admin account.

I even tired installing the redistributables in "_CommonRedist" folder but didn't change a thing...

Are there any required redist I cloud check and install? Also is there a way to get some logs when launching the game so I can have more info about the issue ?

Morgan Henstridge
09-05-2015, 13:02
From the sound of it, it is not even launching the game. Sounds like it might be an issue with Steam.

You could try restarting Steam in Offline mode and see if this will launch the game??

Z4N4
09-05-2015, 13:04
Same thing in offline mode. Also other games I have on steam launch fine. So it has to be linked to PCars :/

Morgan Henstridge
09-05-2015, 13:11
Same thing in offline mode. Also other games I have on steam launch fine. So it has to be linked to PCars :/

The other games maybe launching as you have already run them before, and they are not trying to do their first run.

As the game is not even starting, the only things i could suggest are that it could be an issue with the files, but you have already re-downloaded them, so that rules that out.

You could try right clicking on steam and "Run as Admin" and see if that kicks it along. maybe also navigate to the Project CARS executables and try setting them as "run as admin" also??

Z4N4
09-05-2015, 13:20
Thanks for your help.

I tried both run in admin but didn't change the behavior. Also tried to launch the Project Cars exe in compatibility setting like windows7 but still nothing...

Is there a way to run it with logs ??

murphy0207
09-05-2015, 13:28
Thanks for your help.

I tried both run in admin but didn't change the behavior. Also tried to launch the Project Cars exe in compatibility setting like windows7 but still nothing...

Is there a way to run it with logs ??

Have you Verified the Steam Cache?

Instuctions Here (https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2037-QEUH-3335)

Also what is your system spec?

Morgan Henstridge
09-05-2015, 13:28
It will not log anything if it does not actually start the EXE.

If you open Windows Task Manager and watch the Processes tab, Have a look and see if the PCars.exe or Pcars64.exe appear in that list at all while steam is mucking around.

If they do not appear in there, then steam is not launching the game.

There are some others who have an error on startup, but this is logging an error on startup as the EXEs are actually running in their cases, and they get an Error window on the screen and entries in the Windows Event Viewer. But I don't believe yours is even getting that far.

Morgan Henstridge
09-05-2015, 13:29
Have you Verified the Steam Cache?

Instuctions Here (https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2037-QEUH-3335)

Hi murphy0207, yes, he has tried the following before posting here....

Here is what I checked/tired so far:
- unistalled and downloaded again
- checked cache integrity
- updated latest drivers
- disabled anti virus

Morgan Henstridge
09-05-2015, 13:33
@ Z4N4, I have had a quick google and there are a few possible fixes on the Steam forums for what you are seeing.....

Have a look Here (https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=6218-USFX-5568), and Here (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2290913).

They are recommending "Close Steam, delete clientregistry.blob from your main Steam folder then retry playing." But you may want to read those links a bit more and check how successful that has been for others.

Hope you get it going soon :)

Z4N4
09-05-2015, 13:34
Yes the issue is it's not even launching the exe. It never appears in the task manager. And launching the exe of the game directly redirects to steam launching it...

As for my specs as I told before:
- Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670
- Intel Core i5 2500K

Do you need more specs ?

Mad Al
09-05-2015, 13:39
What controller ?

Z4N4
09-05-2015, 13:40
@ Z4N4, I have had a quick google and there are a few possible fixes on the Steam forums for what you are seeing.....

Have a look Here (https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=6218-USFX-5568), and Here (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2290913).

They are recommending "Close Steam, delete clientregistry.blob from your main Steam folder then retry playing." But you may want to read those links a bit more and check how successful that has been for others.

Hope you get it going soon :)

Yes I have seen it before but never found the clientregistry.blob file !
I checked this list of todo thing for this issue : https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=6218-USFX-5568
I guess it might be linked to .NET missing requirements but why no error message...

I'll continue digging that way then since apparently I'm the only one having this issue on Projet CARS :'(

Z4N4
09-05-2015, 13:40
What controller ?

Xbox one, could that be an issue ?

Just tried launching with no controller plugged in and still the same issue.

Mad Al
09-05-2015, 13:46
Xbox one, could that be an issue ?

Just tried launching with no controller plugged in and still the same issue.

Just wanted to check if you had a Logitech wheel..

Morgan Henstridge
09-05-2015, 13:47
Yes I have seen it before but never found the clientregistry.blob file !
I checked this list of todo thing for this issue : https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=6218-USFX-5568
I guess it might be linked to .NET missing requirements but why no error message...

I'll continue digging that way then since apparently I'm the only one having this issue on Projet CARS :'(

Yeah, it really looks like steam or a steam dependency as it is not even firing up the Project CARS executables. As far as Project CARS is concerned, it was never started.

Z4N4
09-05-2015, 13:51
Yeah, it really looks like steam or a steam dependency as it is not even firing up the Project CARS executables. As far as Project CARS is concerned, it was never started.

Yes. But the question is why only Projet CARS is not willing to launch on steam.

Morgan Henstridge
09-05-2015, 13:55
I have just looked here and i have the "ClientRegistry.blob" in my Steam folder. it is 1KB

If you can not find that in your steam folder, that may be part of the issue.

If it is there, might be worth closing out of Steam, move the file out of the folder (incase you need to get it back) and restart Steam and try it again.

Z4N4
09-05-2015, 14:11
Ok I found how to clean Steam using this: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=3134-TIAL-4638
Blob files no longer exist.

I also found out some minor windows updates that I installed and rebooted my computer.

After all this, I clicked on Project Cars in steam and different popup appeared this time: The license agreement message for Porject Cars.
I chose "Accept" (obviously!), then again the "Preparing to launch" popup appeared aaaaand still the same issue.

I feel like I'm starting to losing faith :(

Morgan Henstridge
09-05-2015, 14:14
In Task Manager, do the Project Cars exe's show up at all under Processes??

Just want to see if the game is actually getting started yet, or if Steam is just getting a little bit closer to calling the game.

Another test, would be to grab a small Free to Play game on steam that you have not had before, and see if that will launch.

Z4N4
09-05-2015, 14:31
In Task Manager, do the Project Cars exe's show up at all under Processes??

Just want to see if the game is actually getting started yet, or if Steam is just getting a little bit closer to calling the game.

Another test, would be to grab a small Free to Play game on steam that you have not had before, and see if that will launch.

So I downloaded a new game "Marvel Heroes 2015" and launched it: It asked for an update of the game to install dist files.
But this new game has the same issue ! :/

So it's not linked to Project Cars but, as you pointed, new games not yet launched...

murphy0207
09-05-2015, 14:38
You said you unplugged your controller, do you have any other usb devices connected?. try with only mouse and keyboard plugged in, I doubt it will help but worth a try.

Also another list of things to try, some of which you have already tried.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7169-TIAV-5361#launch

Failing that you may need to contact Steam Support

Morgan Henstridge
09-05-2015, 14:41
Might also be worth backing up your games and uninstalling Steam, then rebooting and reinstalling the Steam Client, and restore your games.

Failing that, you may need to try Steam Support as murphy0207 has said.

Hope to see you on track soon :)

MadRuben
09-05-2015, 15:17
I've been having this issue for years and still have it only with pcars.

I can run the game only renaming the pcars.exe for pcars64.exe. try it and maybe it could also be a temporary solution and works for you!!!!

Z4N4
09-05-2015, 15:23
I've been having this issue for years and still have it only with pcars.

I can run the game only renaming the pcars.exe for pcars64.exe. try it and maybe it could also be a temporary solution and works for you!!!!

Genius move !!

It worked :D So the issue apparently comes from the pcars64.exe that doesn't work. But I guess this is the one called by Steam when launching.
So renaming the pcars.exe to pcars64.exe made the game work !!

Thank you all for your help and patience.

I can finally drive :cool::yes:

MadRuben
09-05-2015, 19:32
Glad It Works!!!!

Anyway I hope someone more involved to SMS can address this issue as me and others playing the game this way want to run pcars in real 64 bits!!!!!

nezeiges
10-05-2015, 13:57
Thanks mate you made my day

nezeiges
10-05-2015, 13:57
Thanks MadRuben you made my day

nezeiges
10-05-2015, 17:12
Despite the fact that MadRuben made my day I was not happy with running the game in 32 bit mode so I kept on searching.
I just searched for the fault code wich appears when I run pCars64.exe.
The fault code was 0xc00007b

There are a number of solutions mentioned on youtube. The one that worked for me was replacing d3dx9_43.dll with the one I downloaded here https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0T87cDvTlGzM0ZiYU1PRWl4c00/edit?pli=1
So now I am running the game in 64 bit mode

lawnmower2000
18-03-2017, 13:58
Hi Everyone,

renaming pcars to pcars64 did it for me too.
In the folder I already had pcars.exe and pcars64.exe but clicking on pcars64.exe did nothing. So I moved pcars64.exe out of the folder and renamed the ramaining pcars.exe to pcars64.exe, and hey presto game launches!

Thanks for the fix!