PDA

View Full Version : Car damages

Pavletto
09-05-2015, 10:34
Where are they? I put supercart,mclaren 12c gt and other cars to the wall on more than 150kph and...nothing! Car handling is the same, maximum i saw-front wing went off or some little visual damages, but handling was ok. At this speed car shold be totally wrecked! Is this simulator or just called simulator? :mad:
In settings all options for the damage are on.

Daynja
09-05-2015, 10:39
The sensitivity is too low I grant you that. I wish it had an option for "realism" for those that want to host online races. Having such desensitised damage will encourage the douchebag rammers to ram all the time.
If sensitivity was higher they would soon learn that ramming ends their race too soon for them to make a habit of it.

Pavletto
09-05-2015, 10:47
Yes, i want this option too, like car damages in iR. And for both:online and singleplayer modes.

Dave215
09-05-2015, 11:12
+1

I also !!!

vfragos
09-05-2015, 11:59
+1000

Siberian Tiger
09-05-2015, 12:01
We would all like more Damage!

But it's the Car Manufactures which says how far you can go!
Nothing that SMS can influence...

We had disscused this a lot in WMD Beta Testing...

And we also know the Game could handle that, but the manufacturers don't allow it sadly...

Max Kelly
09-05-2015, 12:03
as you have set the damages?

Martin03
09-05-2015, 12:03
I think the damage model is ok in some classes, the lisensed cars are not that good, but that is the same in every game ofc because of the manufactor. But the nonlisensed cars have some of the classes ok damage model, like some open wheel classes. In formula Rookie I was driving a slow outlap to just thest my gear since my TH8RS was in a bad mood... So I drove slowely, then hit a wall slightly and got some suspension problems, then hit a wall with my front left tire and that came off. And it was not a hard hit att all

Pavletto
10-05-2015, 06:24
I tried on non-licensed supercart...the same fantastic:150+ to concrete wall-just front wing left off,and nothing more...

Gianluca Belardinelli
10-05-2015, 08:32
If the manufacturers don't allow to improve it, there's no way. There can be some changes but don't expect more and more than as it is.

CRMohiuddin
10-05-2015, 08:50
If the manufacturers don't allow to improve it, there's no way. There can be some changes but don't expect more and more than as it is.

:D Agree and no way? :D
Why some guys want to play flatout here? :D

Dieltotor
10-05-2015, 09:00
If we go your way, hitting hard a wall means your car is dead and your race is done. We didn't want to implement the fire team rushing to extinguish the car and the two guys holding a blanket to hide your death from your own player sight.
I know when you wait for years for a racing game, you build your own ideas of how it should be, but be a little understanding.

Rift Racer
10-05-2015, 09:03
I'm sure that "manufacturers won't allow it" line has been proven a lie many times before, manufacturers are fine with it as far as *other* game developers say.

Charles Gillen
10-05-2015, 09:10
I remember a "sim" from 1998 that had exploding engines, would burst into flames and break off wheels in the event of a crash..And the learning curve was so steep that only the most dedicated racer continued to play. But the community stuck with it, The graphics and physics improved and the "sim" is still played today. Not by many, as the world has moved on, but still played. You all have them to thank for things like leaderboards, online tournaments, career modes and every thing else we have today. So when you go to the garage and scroll through the available race cars, you might choose the Lotus 49, take it out for a spin around the Nurburg Ring. Then say quietly to yourselves, Thank you Grand Prix Legends.

Aldo Zampatti
10-05-2015, 09:16
I'm sure that "manufacturers won't allow it" line has been proven a lie many times before, manufacturers are fine with it as far as *other* game developers say.

Nope, that simply isn't true. For instance (I won't name brands/models), some manufacturers asked for specific damage behaviors to be modified in the certification process, like dropping off a mirror, a door that get's opened after a crash, etc.

That statement was 100% true :)

INIKEL
10-05-2015, 11:04
I think this work is for modders :)

Khyber GT
10-05-2015, 14:22
it's a load of crap... you got devs on AC who say manufacturers don't care about damage and then you got poly who claim it took 20 years to get damage models because of manufacturers

well which is it?!

grid, dirt, dirt rally still have more damage and they are licensed cars too...so someone is lieing some where about manufacturers and damage models

d0x
10-05-2015, 14:29
We would all like more Damage!

But it's the Car Manufactures which says how far you can go!
Nothing that SMS can influence...

We had disscused this a lot in WMD Beta Testing...

And we also know the Game could handle that, but the manufacturers don't allow it sadly...

Thats not exactly true. The only restriction car manufacturers put on games (thanks to forza) is fires. Cars are not allowed to catch fire. Everything else has become fair game and has been so for a out 7 years.

Eric Bergeret
10-05-2015, 14:42
we"ll ac speak about constructors allowed all damage, but have they any damage at all ingame ? don't think so.

now the point is not to smash the car into a wall, you got flatout for that, but everytime i hit a wall i lost tyre wing and maybee more and fore sure steering isn't working well anymore.

Arkymedes
10-05-2015, 19:06
Ask Codemasters how they do it. Licensed cars + Full Damage models.

How come they can?

CRMohiuddin
10-05-2015, 19:22
Ask Codemasters how they do it. Licensed cars + Full Damage models.

How come they can?

It's a good question how Codemaster can do in GRID. Cool crash there thought that game not seems to a SIM game to me.

Perfect Code
10-05-2015, 19:41
If the lack of realistic damage is indeed due to the car manufacturers not wanting their vehicles to show damage, this must change going forward. It is a completely obsolete and antiquated idea. Utter bullshit.

DVAFP
10-05-2015, 21:10
Pretty sad when car manufacturers get to dictate game design decisions

DVAFP
10-05-2015, 21:15
Thats not exactly true. The only restriction car manufacturers put on games (thanks to forza) is fires. Cars are not allowed to catch fire. Everything else has become fair game and has been so for a out 7 years.

I'm glad cars aren't allowed to catch fire in games cause they don't catch fire in real life. The only times they catch fire are in Hollywood movies and when the CIA wants to "suicide" someone.

tyl3r99
10-05-2015, 21:47
funny how GRID managed to get the permission to get a good damage model, well its better than this gran tourismo look alike

DrAngst
10-05-2015, 22:01
Ok.

So you don't have a correct damage model.

How come you allow the engine on most GT cars to blow up almost every time?

No I don't go into the high RPMs.

Example: Aston Martin V12 GT3, 250 km/h on the Dottinger straight on the Nürburgring. 2nd lap (sometimes even the 1st) the engine blows 9 times out of 10?
At 250 km/h the RPM lights doesn't even light up??!!

If this has something to do with how hot the engine is then for the love of god include a BIG temprerature-meter somewhere in the UI !

Dave_Th
10-05-2015, 22:27
I would be ok for the rendered damage to stay the way it is and the physical damage was more realistic. And by realistic I just mean the impact level required to achieve the damage.

Lawndarts
10-05-2015, 23:07
You can utterly destroy race cars so that shouldn't be a license limit. And we have all seen the videos. But performance would be a more reasonable excuse.

My Clio cup car is a tank :/ we really should not get stuck to the geometry of the other car so much either. But the audio of collisions is quite realistic, my own race car makes the same sounds :( makes me cringe every time.

Khyber GT
11-05-2015, 00:25
I'm glad cars aren't allowed to catch fire in games cause they don't catch fire in real life. The only times they catch fire are in Hollywood movies and when the CIA wants to "suicide" someone.

yes they do... one caught fire last week in nascar and wasn't even in a wreck yet

blacknred81
11-05-2015, 00:31
yes they do... one caught fire last week in nascar and wasn't even in a wreck yet

Scrufy
11-05-2015, 00:36
Eh I've had engine fires in RF2 lol.. I never endured the scars lol

3800racingfool
11-05-2015, 03:44
I really don't think fires and mangled messes are really the important thing here (at least, they're not for me). It's more of: If I'm racing someone and make contact/run wide/lose control and end up in a barrier at 60mph, no matter what I'm driving, I shouldn't be able to back up, whip a U-turn and drive off like nothing happened. I don't care if car manufacturers think their vehicles are gods gift to mankind, they cannot claim that any vehicle making a racing-speed impact will be able to continue racing unabated.

I saw GRID referenced already. The idea that a large enough impact, or enough smaller ones, will knock your car out of the race is one of the major reasons I still play it because it encourages cleaner racing imo. The idea that, if you screw up badly enough, you not only will be losing positions and time but potentially be done dealing and not even have a chance to get back into the race gives one plenty of motivation not to screw up.

Perfect Code
11-05-2015, 03:51
I really don't think fires and mangled messes are really the important thing here (at least, they're not for me). It's more of: If I'm racing someone and make contact/run wide/lose control and end up in a barrier at 60mph, no matter what I'm driving, I shouldn't be able to back up, whip a U-turn and drive off like nothing happened. I don't care if car manufacturers think their vehicles are gods gift to mankind, they cannot claim that any vehicle making a racing-speed impact will be able to continue racing unabated.

I saw GRID referenced already. The idea that a large enough impact, or enough smaller ones, will knock your car out of the race is one of the major reasons I still play it because it encourages cleaner racing imo. The idea that, if you screw up badly enough, you not only will be losing positions and time but potentially be done dealing and not even have a chance to get back into the race gives one plenty of motivation not to screw up.
Indeed.

The OPTION, note option, for players to use truly realistic damage should be there, and right now at least, it is not.

Aldo Zampatti
11-05-2015, 04:08
The story I told about a manufacturer asking for specific objects not to fall or break was 100% true, so they DO have a call on that.

Also, same manufacturer might sing a contract with one company allowing damage and disallow it for another company. They are entitled to do that

Perfect Code
11-05-2015, 04:17
The story I told about a manufacturer asking for specific objects not to fall or break was 100% true, so they DO have a call on that.

Also, same manufacturer might sing a contract with one company allowing damage and disallow it for another company. They are entitled to do that

I first heard stories like this many years ago. Today I feel the same way as I did when I first heard it. It is wrong.

TenthDan
11-05-2015, 04:22
I first heard stories like this many years ago. Today I feel the same way as I did when I first heard it. It is wrong.

I may be wrong here, but I dare say SMS didn't have a heap of ' just let us do more damage' money to throw at the manufacturers like the bigger studios have. Something to consider though.

Perfect Code
11-05-2015, 04:25
I may be wrong here, but I dare say SMS didn't have a heap of ' just let us do more damage' money to throw at the manufacturers like the bigger studios have. Something to consider though.
... it has been considered, and, thought to be likely very true.

wilf
11-05-2015, 07:21

Indeed.

The OPTION, note option, for players to use truly realistic damage should be there, and right now at least, it is not.

Agree completely. It should be an option to have much more "realistic" damage. In real motor-sport, it doesn't take much contact to knock out a car's suspension or steering or get a puncture....things which seriously affect your chances of continuing the race and certainly reduce your chances of finishing high. Knowing that you can't drive wrecklessly lest you incur performance inhibiting damage is important to ensure realistic and fair racing.

And the AI should be affected by this too!!!

A5R
11-05-2015, 09:33
Meanwhile in Grid...........

The damage in codemaster games is also fully dynamic whereas the project cars damage feels scripted.

Rift Racer
11-05-2015, 10:34
As far as I remember reading, (and I could very well be wrong) the only thing manufacturers care about, is not seeing blood / people / gore (and maybe fire) from the crashes, the cars themselves could be damaged as much as you wanted.

This was coming from developers who have done a few lower budget games over the years, not just massive studios like codies, when asked about the damage limitations manufacturers impose, they said they had never had any manufactures impose any damage restrictions over the years and were confused about why other devs were claiming this....

Nope, that simply isn't true. For instance (I won't name brands/models), some manufacturers asked for specific damage behaviors to be modified in the certification process, like dropping off a mirror, a door that get's opened after a crash, etc.

Why won't you name brands / models?

Do you have an agreement to keep quiet about what manufacturers impose limitations on damage models? If so, fair enough, but I'm actually curious to find out which manufacturers are concerned by such silly details in a video game...

Ambro789
11-05-2015, 10:51
I have tried to blow my tires. They get red on pDash and heat up, but nothing happens. I have damage on full and does nothing that I can see. My car does not seem to lose grip when tires overheat. My engine does not over hear or anything. Seems like there is no damage. Of course, that is good if the AI does not have damage as well. Not real sure what the pits or for either. Races are not long enough to need the pits.

komaro
11-05-2015, 11:27
The damage seems to be there but even on the realism settings it is ridiculously LOW. I had to hit frontal a car to get a real accident, otherwise hitting other cars from the side or ramps, doesn't do much. Is that because of the way I started the career mode at novice ? I did change the settings afterwards but with little to no effect. This makes me angry, I wanted to setup the level of realism and I expected that feature from the game when I bought it.

Arkymedes
11-05-2015, 12:21
Meanwhile in Grid...........

The damage in codemaster games is also fully dynamic whereas the project cars damage feels scripted.
Oh the horror! Hide your kids!

rACErKrisP
15-05-2015, 18:31
The fact that the damage model of the cars is almost non existent really makes this otherwise beautiful game completely flawed and honestly (for me) a big disappointment. If you advertise your game to be "The most beautiful, authentic, intense, and technically-advanced racing game on the planet", but you do not include a serious damage model, you are just (in my opinion) being dishonest with your customers. You just can not have a serious authentic racing game without a serious authentic damage model!

Also the reason given that the car manufacturers don't allow it to me seems like a very cheap excuse to say the least.
There are plenty of examples of older PC games where the damage model is there ( rfactor, SIMBIN titles, iracing, Geoff Crammond GP4 (best Ai behaviour ever), Papyrus Nascar Racing 2003), where cars break down when they hit walls or each other and where you can even modify the damage files to your liking.

If as you say "your hands are really tied" by these car manufacturers, at least give us a chance to modify the damage files ourselves.

spinkick
15-05-2015, 18:40
If its just visual damage the manufacturers are worried about, at least model the actual damage behind the scenes...

I honestly believe its a cop-out that the manufacturers dont allow it. Plenty of other sim's show way more damage.

Noksi
15-05-2015, 19:28
you are just (in my opinion) being dishonest with your customers..

File a lawsuit ! :-)

Guys, it's not that difficult to find out which cars have the full damage and which Mercedes ( ;-) ) will never loose a mirror. BTW My limited testing showed me that even a car with still intact mirrors doesn't drive like it's still intact so I see nothing wrong here.

Sure, more parts could fall off and maybe more often but well, if you want to crash test cars this is the wrong game/sim.

Money rules the world and I'm glad pCars is still relatively cheap so I'm fine with some cars not having the same visual damage like other cars in this sim.

Others games have Mercedes where everything falls apart, fine, go play them, stay away from pCars. pCars has much more to offer than parts not falling off cars.

madmax2069
15-05-2015, 19:38

From what I understood with that is if a car has a full roll cage the doors and hatches can come open break off (proven with the rally cars in Gran turismo 5), if the car lacks a full roll cage then the doors can not come open or fall off and the hatch cant pop open and that was a rule set by manufacturers (there was/is a article about this somewhere out on the internet, I remember reading it but I cant find it).

I do know that car manufacturers do limit the amount of damage to their brands (has something to do with not wanting their car to look bad when compaired to another brand, or to look like their car isnt safe in real life).

The funny thing with all this damage limitations put forth by the car manufacturers already gives their brands a bad image in my eyes as it makes their cars appear stronger then what they really are.

Joethe147
15-05-2015, 19:52
I would say overall the damage is inconsistent. Sometimes the damage is brilliant, but on many occasions, it's really lacking.

I've had a few times where I've suffered damage at low speed which seems right. For example, in Formula Rookie, I spun off at a low speed (40/50 mph) hit a wall and lost a tyre. That's great damage.

However, I've had quite a few high speed full-on collisions with walls and barriers but there wasn't even a scratch on the car, nevermind lost tyres or bodyparts!

The AI definitely don't suffer damage like you, it's very hit and miss with them. They can smash into something at a front angle and not suffer any damage, but they could hit a wall or car at the same front angle and get quite a bit of damage.

The first Grid has the best damage model of any racing game I've played (I play on consoles). It's a big disappointment that we haven't really seen anything like it. I think even Grid Autosport's damage might even not be as good as the first Grid! That level of damage should be standard in racing games by now but unfortunately, for whatever reasons, it isn't.

blacknred81
16-05-2015, 00:07
Since Im working on a crash comp, I learned a little bit about the damage, it seems like the licensed cars are more solid and take more hits rather than the non licensed cars. Tire walls also do the most damage to cars. IMO the Open Wheel cars and the Caper Stock Car have the best damage models

I just wish the Ai weren't so damn solid, If I hit someone hard in the rear, I expect them to spin out, not save it and lose little time.....

Roadtrip2k6
18-05-2015, 15:42
I hope they push an upgrade out soon the increase the crash damage and realism as it has been said above, it could be a lot better. especially for the online racing where you are guaranteed at least two idiots per race who think its a game of dodgem cars

banquer
25-05-2015, 16:34
I'm so Sorry to read this post. If I would read previously to buy the game, I don't bought it.
I will put a refound ticket on steam.
I like a SIMULATOR, not a arcade race game!

Ian Bell
25-05-2015, 16:35
I'm so Sorry to read this post. If I would read previously to buy the game, I don't bought it.
I will put a refound ticket on steam.
I like a SIMULATOR, not a arcade race game!

Stop being silly.

Madvillain
25-05-2015, 16:50
Will some form of indicator be put on [in the future] as to how your car is damaged? I like to view the whole car when I play, since you cant visibly see the damage, little indicators or a mini body of the car showing you that, "oh, you may have messed up this" would be nice.

badkarma
25-05-2015, 19:21
I can understand why a car manufacturer would not want their vehicles bashed up cosmetically...but internal mechanics / systems is another thing. I could care less about if I brushed a wall and didn't see paint or body damage, but I darn better feel some aero issues.

I just took a RUF GT3 out at spa and hit the wall sideways at full speed after the long straight...on full damage setting I was able to drive the car back around the track with no noticeable effect in car. That would be a race ender in the real world.

I can hit the wall in a formula rookie at 100 kph with no detectable wheel damage, continue on.

I get the cosmetic issues and the reason manufacturers don't like it.....but mechanical type and system damage seemed to be highly reduced as well even on full.

It's very disappointing that car contact that would disrupt or even end a race for a team just doesn't happen in pcars.

banquer
26-05-2015, 05:24
Stop being silly.
Why am I being silly?
It's my opinion. Are you not opened to clients opinions?
The differences from a simulator to a arcade game is the REALITY. If a game don't reflect the crashes reality, must be considered as a simulator? I think not.
You must respect my opinion and don't flame me.
Thanks.

Cornflex
26-05-2015, 06:19
I do not believe that car manufacturers are the reason for the low damage settings.
Just look at the new dirt rally game. That's what I call a damage model! And all cars are licensed too.

Please add an option set the damage intensity via the option menu. :yes:

Thanks.

JDFSSS
26-05-2015, 06:35
I would also like to see more realistic damage. The thing about manufacturers not allowing more damage seems to be another poor excuse being pushed by WMD members to defend a shortcoming of the game. There doesn't have to be more cosmetic damage, but the mechanical damage should be realistic. The cars can take way too much punishment and keep going on. This is not sim like at all, and makes it harder to take the game serious as a sim.

Bealdor
26-05-2015, 06:46
I would also like to see more realistic damage. The thing about manufacturers not allowing more damage seems to be another poor excuse being pushed by WMD members to defend a shortcoming of the game. There doesn't have to be more cosmetic damage, but the mechanical damage should be realistic. The cars can take way too much punishment and keep going on. This is not sim like at all, and makes it harder to take the game serious as a sim.

This is not a poor excuse it's a fact that the car manufacturers are not allowing severe damage on their cars. In fact car damage had to be reduced on some cars per manufacturer request.

I'm not saying there is no room for improvement but you have to keep in mind that balancing car damage is a very sensible thing to avoid frustating a lot of players.

JDFSSS
26-05-2015, 07:28
This is not a poor excuse it's a fact that the car manufacturers are not allowing severe damage on their cars. In fact car damage had to be reduced on some cars per manufacturer request.

I'm not saying there is no room for improvement but you have to keep in mind that balancing car damage is a very sensible thing to avoid frustating a lot of players.

Player frustration from car damage is easily avoided by simply allowing players to turn damage off, or make it less sensitive.

I would like to see SMS do everything they can to make the damage more realistic. Mechanical faults are already in the game, it seems like they should be able to just make the cars more sensitive to contact, without having to adjust the visible damage much. Maybe this isn't possible with some manufacturers though. I don't know.

I would rather have a non-licensed, fictional car that has realistic damage than a licensed car that is indestructible and super unrealistic. That would certainly make the game more sim-like.

fostrike
26-05-2015, 07:46
Let say that if you put in your menu the "realistic" option, you do expect something more, specially for the multiplayer side which is the one that need more strict rules.
I don't care less about the visual part.

Cornflex
26-05-2015, 08:01
One of the preview pics of project cars shows severe damage:

I don't think this is possible in the released version of the game.
Another screenshot just for marketing purposes?

Machinist90
26-05-2015, 08:11
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-J516Pn7BQk
that car flipping in NFS S2 though <3

madmax2069
26-05-2015, 09:02
This is the only part of the game I am really disappointed with. A 150mph crash directly into the pit wall with full damage on and only your front tires pop off (car still running and moveable), i expected a little more damage then that (hood falling off, bumper falling off, fenders falling off, extensive motor damage, possable transmission damage, not even a simple busted head light)

smithaldo
26-05-2015, 10:03
Sometimes you don't even have to leave the pits to experience the "realistic" damage. :friendly_wink::rolleyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FHSC-UJbW4&feature=youtu.be

Ryzza5
26-05-2015, 12:38
One of the preview pics of project cars shows severe damage:

I don't think this is possible in the released version of the game.
Another screenshot just for marketing purposes?

99.99% of screenshots, even those on the official websites and press releases, were created by the WMD players who posted them to the forums. It was very rare for SMS to ask for a specific screenshot, and I'm pretty confident that they never asked for one showcasing damage.

Late in the development process cars have to be approved by manufacturers. Perhaps that involved detuning visual damage somewhat (i.e. 'doors not allowed to fall off' was one request).

mkstatto
26-05-2015, 12:45
I've turned off damage in open wheelers as the wheels stupidly pop off when given a light tap from the rear. I don't believe punctures are in either are they, which for a car game is quite poor.

Cornflex
26-05-2015, 12:51
...I'm pretty confident that they never asked for one showcasing damage.

Late in the development process cars have to be approved by manufacturers. Perhaps that involved detuning visual damage somewhat (i.e. 'doors not allowed to fall off' was one request).

So why did they waste time creating such a detailed damage model if they cannot use it in the final game?
It doesn't make sense to me.:confused:

Bealdor
26-05-2015, 12:52
So why did they waste time creating such a detailed damage model if they cannot use it in the final game?
It doesn't make sense to me.:confused:

Because the damage model had to be finished so the manufacturers could say "Yes, that's OK" or "No, we don't want this kind of damage".

Cornflex
26-05-2015, 13:01
Because the damage model had to be finished so the manufacturers could say "Yes, that's OK" or "No, we don't want this kind of damage".

Still doesn't make sense. I would have asked first and then put the effort in it, not vice versa.

Bealdor
26-05-2015, 13:04
Still doesn't make sense. I would have asked first and then put the effort in it, not vice versa.

Then you'd have to wait till 2016 at least to play this game. ;)

badkarma
26-05-2015, 15:34
So let me get this straight....the manufacturers has stipulations on mechanical damage as well as cosmetic? Cosmetic yeah ok no big deal, you can degrade the aero without showing damage visually. But mechanical damage shouldn't have been a part of the equation....if they are stipulating how much damage a steering rod or rotor can take when hitting a wall at 100 mph, then SMS need better deal makers and lawyers. Do they also have stipulations on the performance of their vehicles?

Look at iracing, they have some of the same manufacturers and damage is done extremely well.

Cornflex
26-05-2015, 17:20
It is completely ridiculous to create a complete damage model and disable it because of the car manufacturers. Even the old Ford Escort has no damage model and the car isn't even build anymore.
In Dirt Rally the same car can be crashed to pieces.

blacknred81
27-05-2015, 00:55
I think the biggest problem is that contact with walls and other cars dont do enough or show enough damage, and the only real way to total your car is to either roll it somehow, make wheel to wheel contact in an open wheel car, or hit a tire barrier hard....

Seem like it was the same way with Shift 2.....

Crash comps I did for comparisons.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bU2eIlLNknM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1biNppI30l4

cerbrus2
27-05-2015, 01:06
Its not so much the damage model that bothers me. I have long known about the damage issues with manufacturers not alowing game devs to show damage that would look fatal. What does annoy me though on a game that has had so much beta testing. is the crash physics. For an example. I spun out in the wet on Donnington in a formula C car. and got hit in the side by anougher car. My car just turned 90 degrees and stopped dead, so clunky and absolutely no realism. my car should of been sent spinning off. but instead pivoted on the spot and that's it. I have noticed it with other cars too,

JDFSSS
27-05-2015, 05:33
Its not so much the damage model that bothers me. I have long known about the damage issues with manufacturers not alowing game devs to show damage that would look fatal. What does annoy me though on a game that has had so much beta testing. is the crash physics. For an example. I spun out in the wet on Donnington in a formula C car. and got hit in the side by anougher car. My car just turned 90 degrees and stopped dead, so clunky and absolutely no realism. my car should of been sent spinning off. but instead pivoted on the spot and that's it. I have noticed it with other cars too,

I've noticed that too. It seems like there is a magical skid recovery force in this game that stops cars from fully spinning.

smithaldo
27-05-2015, 07:52
It is completely ridiculous to create a complete damage model and disable it because of the car manufacturers. Even the old Ford Escort has no damage model and the car isn't even build anymore.
In Dirt Rally the same car can be crashed to pieces.

This video of one of my career races suggests your wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ec4AeEXeRrM&feature=youtu.be

Mokhles82
27-05-2015, 08:55
I think that the manufactures are making it deliberately, so as to increase their productions.

Thanks

Machinist90
27-05-2015, 09:44
I think the biggest problem is that contact with walls and other cars dont do enough or show enough damage, and the only real way to total your car is to either roll it somehow, make wheel to wheel contact in an open wheel car, or hit a tire barrier hard....

Seem like it was the same way with Shift 2.....

Crash comps I did for comparisons.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bU2eIlLNknM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1biNppI30l4

shift's crashes made me shit my pants in cabview,Pcars...it's like bumping a shoppingcart against a wall feeling "goddamnit",but nothing more

Cornflex
28-05-2015, 07:15
After some testing I found that the damage model itself seems to be okay. It only needs too much hits to show the results.
It should be made more sensitive and less forgiving.

Robert Gerke
28-05-2015, 07:50
The physical Damage is far away from reality and to less impact!

We have several times in recent months repeatedly reprorted. Unfortunately, the
vast majority of unpretentious "Casual Console Gamer" has prevailed.

Good realism and simulation would provide only very few people.

Very sad!

Franco Ferrari
28-05-2015, 07:52
Well, you may crash head-first into a wall at 150km/h and drive away with just some aero parts missing... but in about a couple of laps you're going to stop because the radiator was damaged and the engine died of overheating.

So?

Robert Gerke
28-05-2015, 07:59
And worse..... you can take about 30 Rounds every Curb with 150 -200 kmh,
nothing happens with the suspention.

Also this issue we discussed a few months ago. Unfortunately, far too little effect!

It's just in the whole much too kind and provoked an arcade driving style.
Who needs such a thing on the track? Simply unrealistic.

Cornflex
28-05-2015, 08:05
Well, you may crash head-first into a wall at 150km/h and drive away with just some aero parts missing... but in about a couple of laps you're going to stop because the radiator was damaged and the engine died of overheating.

So?

That's what I wanted to say when I was talking about a less forgiving damage model. The model itself is capable of displaying all sorts of damage. At the moment you have to drive into a wall a thousand times just to see some scratches. This has to be changed.
They should put in an option to adjust the sensivity of the damage model.

Arkymedes
28-05-2015, 09:04
It does look unrealistic yes, not only the crash models but the forces involved when spinning and all that. Gravity and inertia looks a bit weird when in a crash.

MULTIVITZ
28-05-2015, 09:07
If the cars were better you maybe wouldn't crash unfairly. Re: tuning grind

robstav1
28-05-2015, 10:41
What I've never understood is why suspension damage is so robust on modern games? The wheels are allowed to go sailing away on their own.

F1 games have always surprised me as damage has always been so limited and heavily regulated by manufacturers/ Bernie. We rarely see tyres fly off cars in real life due to technical innovations such as wheel tethers, but yet they can fly into the crowd/ track on games?? It would be better if the suspension crumples realistic and the tyre's "flaps about" like real life. This in my eyes would improve the game significantly without the work of creating a new damage model. Simulate wheel tethers and suspension damage, the most common type of damage in Motorsport. Just look at all recent F1 accidents to full understand what I mean? Clipping the rear of a Clio and watch its wheel "dislocate" and stick out at an obscure angle or hit the back of an open wheeler and what your suspension fly up with the tyre, Max Verstappen style!

P.S Perhaps too much to ask for but I've always wanted a barrier we can get stuck into. Getting it wrong at speed and stuffing it into a soft tyre barrier but be quite satisfying and is very different from ploughing into the same hard surface and bouncing off each time. One day maybe... :barbershop_quartet_

Gehzilla
28-05-2015, 11:00
Please!
Car Manufactures dont want, that a car goes up in flames or similar things, but against "normal" damage no Car Manufacturer have anything!
Thats only a story beginning from 15-20 years or longer. There was a racing game called 4D sports driving (also known as stunts) and with a hard crash your car goes up in flames. I think it was Jeep or so, who say he dont want that the car goes up on flames.
And the gamedesigner today use this to say sorry to put not enough effort in a realistic damage system.

Bealdor
28-05-2015, 11:03
Please!
Car Manufactures dont want, that a car goes up in flames or similar things, but against "normal" damage no Car Manufactures have anything!

Parts detaching under heavy crashes is normal damage to me but there are still manufacturers that don't want to see this.

Gehzilla
28-05-2015, 11:07
Parts detaching under heavy crashes is normal damage to me but there are still manufacturers that don't want to see this.

Than please show us the mails or the communication. I work about 15 years for BMW and 10 years for Mercedes Benz. Please show us the proof!

Btw. when im a manufacturer and dont want see detach normal parts, then its okay that the wheels fly off? Lol.......

Sorry, but i can't hear the lies anymore. Every wannabe simulator brings the same lies and no manufacturers say anywhere anything about this. Please i want see or hear a proof.

Its no problem when a gamedev stay at the truth and say, its to much work or its need to much Cpu-Time, no problem, sad but the truth. But always blame on the manufacturer is a lie!

Cornflex
28-05-2015, 11:29

So why are there modern racing games like Dirt Rally or Assetto Corsa which show detailed damage?

Gehzilla
28-05-2015, 11:44
Btw. look at the cinema near you, whats a car manufacturer want to see and whats not. Its the same department ;-) At least at this time, when i work for the manufacturer .

Max Kelly
28-05-2015, 11:47
perhaps damage could be raised a little? :cocksure:
contacts currently 50% of the time seem a little fake. :confused:

Bealdor
28-05-2015, 11:49
Than please show us the mails or the communication. I work about 15 years for BMW and 10 years for Mercedes Benz. Please show us the proof!

Btw. when im a manufacturer and dont want see detach normal parts, then its okay that the wheels fly off? Lol.......

Sorry, but i can't hear the lies anymore. Every wannabe simulator brings the same lies and no manufacturers say anywhere anything about this. Please i want see or hear a proof.

Its no problem when a gamedev stay at the truth and say, its to much work or its need to much Cpu-Time, no problem, sad but the truth. But always blame on the manufacturer is a lie!

These are no lies. Of course I can't show you communication about this because those are under NDA (and I'm not a SMS employee btw.) but I've seen damage getting reduced by manufacturer request in developments builds @WMD. It's not a made up excuse.

Btw. look at the cinema near you, whats a car manufacturer want to see and whats not. Its the same department ;-) At least at this time, when i work for the manufacturer .

If it's the same department then why do game developers still have to pay for car licences while at the same time they're thowing money at the film makers to have their cars appear in the movies?

Platy
28-05-2015, 11:53
I feel like the open wheel cars need to have more sensitive damage for front wings. Ideally touching another car would cause slight damage on the front wing, in turn causing more tyre wear because of reduced downforce; but obviously that may not be possible. Increasing the damage sensitivity would be nice though.

Gehzilla
28-05-2015, 12:01
We speak now from money? Sorry, but at this point i have a NDA to respect and i work for it.
You speak from wishes, thats true, i dont disagree, but its not a prohibition and thats a clearly difference. I can remember nights over nights we discussion this things, but there are no prohibition exept the flames and the survival aspect.

Cornflex
28-05-2015, 12:11
Ok, car manufacturers don't like to see their cars crashed. Accepted.
Please adjust the damage model according to that in Dirt or AC as they seem to have no problems with that. Would be awesome! :yes:

Gehzilla
28-05-2015, 12:25
Nobody wants a real damage system, because its going a little to far and we don't have the Cpu-Time for this, but a little more reality is all what we want.
I don't want crash with 100+kmh and nothing happens, that's ridiculous for a sim or simcade. I want only wheel to wheel duels without lags and desyncs.
I want a damage system thats comprehensible. Not more not less.
I want a multiplayersystem that i can play with the whole world when i have the time. Not more, not less.
And that's for me normal wishes for a Fullpricetitle "before" i hear anything about Project Cars 2!
And i don't want to hear excuses from the devs (oh i forget, the devs don't speak here) only because they don't put enough effort in the damage system.
Sad, that for me a game with this potential are going to be a dead cow. Its sad to see 4 Lobbys at night for the whole world....and 2 its impossible to join and they are not password protected.

And btw. i want see things like a roadmap, anything about patches and similar things. Not more not less.

dominiczeth
28-05-2015, 13:06
So why are there modern racing games like Dirt Rally or Assetto Corsa which show detailed damage?

The Damage in pCars is way better then this!

loslogo
28-05-2015, 13:22
I don't understand why the manufacturers would be annoyed by a effective damage model.

Robert Gerke
28-05-2015, 13:25
Dominic, sorry...but Damage in pCars far behind all other serious Sims

LFS, GSC, AC, rFactor1+2, iRacing.....

This know SMS for a few months, and what is currently there, can not and should
not be your claim!

We can only ask you to take our requests seriously. And ask you earnestly, give it
to further the Devs and screwed the claim simply higher, please!

dominiczeth
28-05-2015, 13:43
I only meant the picture from AC. That also doesn't look much better then ours. Anyway i'm happy with the damage. My goal isn't to crash my car. I want clean and fast laps. But that is a question of the personal taste.

Machinist90
28-05-2015, 14:50
I only meant the picture from AC. That also doesn't look much better then ours. Anyway i'm happy with the damage. My goal isn't to crash my car. I want clean and fast laps. But that is a question of the personal taste.

I also want clean laps but I want to fear the consequence of cocking up

Cornflex
28-05-2015, 16:16
The Damage in pCars is way better then this!

It's not the damage model itself which is ruined in PCars. It's the way how and when damage is presented during a race.
The sensitivity of the damage model is far too low.

spinkick
28-05-2015, 16:19
I can blast people with the mclaren f1 and not get damage, but, i tap them and my radiator (which I assume is in the back of the car!) gets bent and the heat goes through the roof....

spinkick
28-05-2015, 16:20
It's not the damage model itself which is ruined in PCars. It's the way how and when damage is presented during a race.
The sensitivity of the damage model is far too low.

definately agree. Except for radiator damage. Tap someone with the mclaren f1 and watch the car overheat in 5 laps

spinkick
28-05-2015, 16:29
i dont care about visual, as long as the cockpit can tell me, i want realistic internal damage. I am a massocist though and also want random mechanical failure based on how the car is used...

badkarma
28-05-2015, 16:49
Over 200kph wall slide, no wheel / suspension or steering damage, car drove like it just came out of the pits

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_8L_xwEoHQ

https://youtu.be/j_8L_xwEoHQ

Pr3t3nd3r
28-05-2015, 17:57
Where are they? I put supercart,mclaren 12c gt and other cars to the wall on more than 150kph and...nothing! Car handling is the same, maximum i saw-front wing went off or some little visual damages, but handling was ok. At this speed car shold be totally wrecked! Is this simulator or just called simulator? :mad:

There are other games that are called simulators and have far worse damage model and people don't complain :)

It's a racing simulator not a crashing simulator (I wonder is that why people are ramming me on MP because they think it's a ramming simulator? o.O)

badkarma
28-05-2015, 18:32
There are other games that are called simulators and have far worse damage model and people don't complain :)

It's a racing simulator not a crashing simulator (I wonder is that why people are ramming me on MP because they think it's a ramming simulator? o.O)

Because damage is a huge part of racing, either from contact with objects or abusing the car and it's components. More often than not, damage changes the outcome of races and championships.

Machinist90
28-05-2015, 19:00

people ram you on mp because of the low damage...

Pr3t3nd3r
28-05-2015, 19:33
people ram you on mp because of the low damage...

Sure. Than you have been only touched and not rammed because if you are rammed its a game over for you and him...for sure.

Machinist90
28-05-2015, 20:56
Sure. Than you have been only touched and not rammed because if you are rammed its a game over for you and him...for sure.

exactly,there's no punishment for ramming people,8/10 you don't lose a wheel and are still able to ruin other people's race

blacknred81
29-05-2015, 00:14
Well, at least there is damage, could be worse, PCARS could have NASCAR The Game 2011 Damage......

spinkick
29-05-2015, 03:24
Well, at least there is damage, could be worse, PCARS could have NASCAR The Game 2011 Damage......

well, the game could have banana's on the road like mario kart but it doesnt as well. lol

uternity
29-05-2015, 05:03

I am also interested to know the facts about the damages resolving and setting options and even as i come here i get to know some more know things from here about car damages.Thanks for sharing.

iceman5363
29-05-2015, 11:20
How about adding a slider, maybe from 0%-100% that controls the damage sensitivity. For example 0% may be no damage at all but 100% could be ultra damage, for example if you were to use 100% damage sensitivity in an open wheel car getting one of your wheels clipped by another cars front wing would result in a puncture and wheel bumping may result in suspension damage. If this were to be implimented into the game I feel it would be a win-win for everyone

Ryzza5
30-05-2015, 07:36
shift's crashes made me shit my pants in cabview,Pcars...it's like bumping a shoppingcart against a wall feeling "goddamnit",but nothing more

Try playing with the Shake and World Movement options in game.

Machinist90
30-05-2015, 09:54
Try playing with the Shake and World Movement options in game.

all maxed out,it's more the flipping the car and the blur during/after the crash which had the most effect

Lars Geraae
26-01-2016, 15:13
There is something here:

http://www.virtualr.net/gt3-mod-project-cars-damage-model-previews#disqus_thread

Bealdor
26-01-2016, 15:17
Ahem:

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?34577-Machine-Dojo-Modding-Team-pCARS-GT3-Project&p=1207642&viewfull=1#post1207642

;)

kevin kirk
26-01-2016, 17:40
Cant use damage because of the 1 second freezing taking me straight into the wall. Does it every grid size,every weather setting,every time setting.

BuToNz
26-01-2016, 20:10
I'm having the same issue, any collision on the first race after loading the game will stutter. Afterwards everything is ok, any tips to fixing this?

artao
26-01-2016, 21:39
Manufacturers don't like to see their cars physically damaged. Fine. That is known and has been that way forever. That's visual damage.
But functional damage? COME ON!
Functional damage has been in sims forever. I have never before heard the lame -- yes, lame -- excuse that manufacturers don't allow functional damage. That's ridiculous and sounds like a crock to me (and clearly many others)
So SMS alone (as far as sim-level games) is the only one NOT allowed to have realistic functional damage? COME ONE!!! We aren't buying it. Sorry, but nope.
GTR2 (SMS forebear, yes?), Race 07, RaceRoom, iRacing, rFactor, GrID Rally .... the list goes on ... these all have decent functional damage systems. FAR more realistic functional damage than pCARS.
The excuses from SMS and some WMD members is tiresome. :\ :( .... Manufacturers are restricting pCARS but not other sims, are they. I'm curious to know why that is -- and also don't think that's the case, regardless how much you guys keep repeating it.
As to people saying, "this is a racing simulator, not a crashing simulator" ....... RIDICULOUS and silly. Realistic functional damage is a huge part of racing. Particularly endurance racing, where simply finishing is a good thing to accomplish.
We're not asking for a "crashing simulator" ... we're asking for functional damage that simply occurs in regular old straight up racing. You hit a wall, your suspension, aero, tires, etc should be FUNCTIONALLY damaged. I personally could care less about the visual damage, tho it's nice to see (and I understand, to a degree, manufacturers wanting to limit that)
You have contact with another car in a bad way? Both cars should have FUNCTIONAL damage that actually affects the handling and performance of the cars in a realistic way.
Contact happens in racing. Show me a real life race where there was no contact between any cars or walls or even kerbs (suspension, tires).
Yes. We all want clean racing. Fine. Good. We strive to race clean, but it doesn't always happen. When there ARE incidents, the functional damage should be there!

So okay. You're not lying, as you say. Fine
Then why is it that SMS have been singled out to not allow realistic functional damage modeling?

Bealdor
27-01-2016, 09:01
Honestly I don't know where you're coming from.
Suspension, aero and engine damage and their effects are all simulated in this game. It's not as sensible as some players would like to have it but it's in.

Crash into a wall and your suspension is broken (the pit engineer even tells you), do that with a formula car and you'll lose a wheel.
Bump into the car in front of you and you'll damage your aero and cooling system, including loss of top speed and engine overheating.
Downshift like a hooligan and your engine will blow up.

hkraft300
27-01-2016, 09:19
Could suspension be made more vulnerable to damage going over, say, a particularly high/dangerous kerb on some parts of some tracks?
What I remember in earlier patches was cars were more fragile mechanically in performance damage mode but the more visually devastating in full damage mode. I kind of liked that extra sensitivity in performance damage mode.
I'd very much welcome a return of that increased physical damage in the sequel :)
I understand limitations to visual wrecking. It will make the game that much more difficult: more than what the majority of casual gamers may prefer or accept.

artao
27-01-2016, 12:20
Honestly I don't know where you're coming from.
Suspension, aero and engine damage and their effects are all simulated in this game. It's not as sensible as some players would like to have it but it's in.

Crash into a wall and your suspension is broken (the pit engineer even tells you), do that with a formula car and you'll lose a wheel.
Bump into the car in front of you and you'll damage your aero and cooling system, including loss of top speed and engine overheating.
Downshift like a hooligan and your engine will blow up.

What game are you playing? :confused:
I've YET to blow up any engine but in the KARTs. And I've tried, just to see if it's there.
As to damage after hitting a wall? Barely there. More often than not it's pretty un-noticeable and I can just keep going like nothing happened. Not even flat tires, I may have had one or two, but certainly should have had more. Getting smashed by another car will sometimes, but not always, make the car harder to drive. I've only had suspension damage a few times that I recall. Aero damage is, granted, more difficult to actually notice, since it's a bit more subtle affecting grip -- which so many other factors also affect.
Also, it seems to vary quite a bit from car to car.
Just ran a race in an Astin Martin Vantage V12, and after spinning out on a turn and trying to wait for the car behind to go by before getting back on track .. well ... that car also had some issue (not sure what, couldn't tell from the replay) and ended up smashing RIGHT into me. Hard. The visual damage was incredible. However, I was able to keep going for another 4 laps or so before I got side-swiped again, and THAT made me finally have to go into the pits. All I could notice after the first huge smash was the car pulling to one side and being slower, but nothing I couldn't handle. Visually, it looked like it needed to be towed into the pits.
A couple days ago I was running Clio races in career mode. There wasn't really any smashing going on there, but there were some pretty good hits (that crazy AI .. and my own inconsistent driving) .. but I never noticed any adverse affect from these incidents. None. However, I could see some damage to the car, in the replay. To me it looked like panels rubbing on my tires should have caused some nasty issues.
I will say that the damage system seems to have gotten somewhat better with recent patches -- altho nothing about it is ever mentioned in the patch notes. .. i had taken a break from pCARS for a few months and just came back post patch 8.
Still, some cars I can drive headlong into a wall at 50+mph and keep driving like nothing happened. Other cars do indeed have far more noticeable damage modeling. More often than not tho, the visual damage looks to be MUCH worse than what I'd experienced while driving the car.

... and then when you go into the pits to get damage fixed, POOF! insta-fix ...

Plage
27-01-2016, 16:04
I really don't know what you're talking about. You can blow engines and tyres. I think also transmissions and clutches but had never happen it myself. You can lose tyres and even whole parts of the suspension of cars that have it modeled. Depending on how you hit a wall, opponent or what ever your car will take damage and maybe won't drive straight or reach top speed anymore. Seems you're playing an other game or simply have mechanical damage turned off somehow.

There may be some flaws with the damage and how it's modeled but as far as I know there really are manufacturers who dictate what kind of damage can be done to their cars and if you've just one of these cars in the game it makes sense to adjust the damage of all other cars to this level alone for optical reasons. I don't like this myself and would rather have a more realistic model but can understand why it simply isn't possible.

artao
28-01-2016, 06:32
The only thing I've ever heard any other company say regarding manufacturers limiting damage is referring to the VISUAL damage on cars, because they don't want their cars to look bad. Never before have I heard any company claim that manufacturers limit the FUNCTIONAL damage to cars.
Like I said, the visual damage in that online race made the car look like it needed to be towed into the pits. The front end was gone. However, all I noticed functionally was the car pulling to the left a bit and being slower by 10-20 mph. Oh yeah! The front left tire was also getting into the red. The engine itself seemed to be fine. Were it not for the other car side-swiping me and making that shimmy/pull worse, I probably could have finished the race (another 8 laps IIRC, at Monza)
Try going out in a car and deliberately driving into a wall at 50+mph, head on. Then notice how the car continues to be able to function. I've yet to have any of the cars I've run become non-functional when doing this test (granted I've certainly not driven all the cars -- and I don't drive Formula cars because 1) I suck in them and 2) I'm not a big fan, I prefer GT and LMP)
Many many other people have also noticed the lackluster damage modeling, otherwise this thread wouldn't exist.
Previous generation games had better damage modeling in many (most even?) cases. A purportedly "next gen" sim should AT LEAST have the level of functionality that the previous gen sims had.

Bealdor
28-01-2016, 07:02
The only thing I've ever heard any other company say regarding manufacturers limiting damage is referring to the VISUAL damage on cars, because they don't want their cars to look bad. Never before have I heard any company claim that manufacturers limit the FUNCTIONAL damage to cars.

I've never seen anyone from SMS claiming that manufacturers are limiting the mechanical/functional damage model for PCARS, only the visual part.
As I said, the damage model simulates it but it's not a sensible as some players want it to be.

artao
28-01-2016, 07:38
I've never seen anyone from SMS claiming that manufacturers are limiting the mechanical/functional damage model for PCARS, only the visual part.

I have, but I forget which thread it was in. I read a TON of threads/pages last nite, trying to catch up on current events regarding updates and bug fixes and suchnot.

EDIT: AHA! It was this very thread. Have you read the entirety of it? Several people (hmm .. perhaps just WMD members and mods, not SMS team) have claimed that it's the manufacturers limiting this aspect.

NoBrakes
05-02-2016, 18:27
I don't know if this is known so far and if its a kind of damage one could suffer or its a (new) bug:

Last time I was driving online with a some collegues and AI cars. I had an interesting issue with the BMW 1M "Stanceworks" @ Silverstone classic.: Suddenly my Fanatec CSW V1.5 wheel started rattling and shaking very bad. My first thought was, "damned now that CSW is gone" . but I learned quite fast that the rattling etc. was produced by my virtual car on the screen. Something happened to the left front tire or its suspension. As one could see on the telemetry interface the suspension bars are going mad and you could hear some nasty rattling noise as well.

Never had such an effect before. Now I have no clue if this is some ultra new damage modelling for abusive driving or if its just another (new) bug?

http://youtu.be/bhEjRDmcgKY

3800racingfool
06-02-2016, 03:15
There haven't been any patch notes on the matter so I'd guess it's a suspension bug. Only reason I'd think it was suspension damage was if you hit a hard curb or something, but it's on silverstone classic so there really aren't any hard curbs on the left side of the track.