PDA

View Full Version : Sticky Gravel.

boothegoo
09-05-2015, 10:55
I completely understand why we need a cutting corner deterrent but the effects of being dragged off track deep into the gravel, being spun 180° and instantly being demoted to the back for being half a tyre off track is much to severe punishment for the severity of the crime.

I name Laguna Seca and Bathurst as an example. Seca is practically the whole way round and Bathurst I've mostly seen it on the fast right before the downhill last section starts where you get sent head first into the barrier.

May I suggest lap time lost and drive through penalties for 3 or more infringements during race and damage to body/aero. IRL speed is lost and heading is not affected until enough speed is scrubbed and front wheels can dig into the loose gravel and act more like a rudder. Obviously type and size of gravel and normally front splitters will have an effect also. In game does not really simulate any of this at all.

dyr_gl
09-05-2015, 11:01
NO. I'm sick of games that give you warnings but then allow for nonsense driving. Track limits should be policed by physics. If drivers don't use that extra width it's because it's much slower and dangerous, and so it should be in the game.

boothegoo
09-05-2015, 11:08
But the physics are not real thats my point. I want it as real as it can be. Exceeding track limits flag should be in game. Every time I have run through a gravel trap in real life I was not spun around and lost all my speed in the instant. There is nothing nonsense about keeping it real is there?

L3NST4R
09-05-2015, 11:08
I agree with boo, we need to be able to explore the limits of the track without being massively penalised for putting a tyre out.

boothegoo
09-05-2015, 11:11
This is a relatively new thing in game. I'm not sure when it was introduced but I only seem to be suffering since we released. Maybe someone can remind me what build it came into effect?

dyr_gl
09-05-2015, 11:17
I agree with boo, we need to be able to explore the limits of the track without being massively penalised for putting a tyre out.

You're free to do that. Just don't expect it to be safe and fast.

Had enough grippy grass and turf in Codemasters games. If you make these surfaces usable they become defacto parts of the track. Drivers don't use the sand in Laguna Seca, and if they go wide with their loaded outside tyre they're into trouble. So should we.

L3NST4R
09-05-2015, 11:34
I dont want grippy grass or turf, i dont want to cut the track, i want it to feel as real as it can feel so if you get it wrong and put a wheel out, there is a chance of getting it back. I am happy to have massive problems if i go off in to the gravel traps, thats not the issue. The issue is the unrealistic penalty mechanism that governs the grass/gravel that drags you in.

L3NST4R
09-05-2015, 11:36
I must say though , that apart from that the finished game/ simulator is amazing.

boothegoo
09-05-2015, 12:25
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wv2a8RWvkd8 - just look at 3:55

So here we have real races round a real Laguna Seca driving real cars with real physics with lots of off track action. You show me where everything you have been promoting is replicated.

I'll save you the trouble, drive is lost as we would all expect. I don't see anyone being spun 180 just because they put a tyre on the dirt/gravel.

Your asking for unreal penalties to be applied in game, we want it completely as it should be and how the game has been promoted all these years as a racing simulator.

TenthDan
09-05-2015, 12:33
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wv2a8RWvkd8 - just look at 3:55

So here we have real races round a real Laguna Seca driving real cars with real physics with lots of off track action. You show me where everything you have been promoting is replicated.

I'll save you the trouble, drive is lost as we would all expect. I don't see anyone being spun 180 just because they put a tyre on the dirt/gravel.

Your asking for unreal penalties to be applied in game, we want it completely as it should be and how the game has been promoted all these years as a racing simulator.

While maybe not perfect, the gravel IRL can be like that too, check videos of the first corner at Brands for instance; lots of cars get stuck quickly in the gravel and aren't even able to continue the race. So in a way we're also not as punishing as real life also!

boothegoo
09-05-2015, 13:24
While maybe not perfect, the gravel IRL can be like that too, check videos of the first corner at Brands for instance; lots of cars get stuck quickly in the gravel and aren't even able to continue the race. So in a way we're also not as punishing as real life also!

Been through the gravel at Paddock ,more times than I would like admit IRL and I agree they do the job very well. However, lets put this to bed. Take a Caterham Classic round Laguna and put 2 wheels over the white line. The car does a 180 and loses all speed within a few car lengths. Also the gravel acts like a magnet pulling you even more off track.

Please post back and let me know if you get the same outcome as I'm getting. Cheers Dan.

While you're here Dan, would you recommend a clean install after the release version? Also is deleting profile (the old default.sav equivalent) advisable and possibly why I'm getting this?

Cheers

Ramshackle
09-05-2015, 13:59
It always makes me smile to see a car come flying past going way too deep into a corner... safe in the knowledge they'll suffer for it when they slide off track. Saw the same kind of thing often in Driveclub... only they'd just ride a barrier around the corner and disappear off down the road. I'm loving how this game really punishes for lapses in concentration. Makes it all the more intense when you're pushing to the limit, knowing that one wrong move could completely ruin your race. I was playing online lastnight and lost a nailed on win (which are turning out to be few and far between for me) because I was getting a bit too sure of myself. Ended up having to nurse a damaged car around track for the last lap and lost 7 places. Annoying as hell, but even more so when you know it's your own fault.

boothegoo
16-05-2015, 09:44
Had another race around Laguna in the GT4's completely ruined by the unrealistic gravel last night. This really has to be addressed as it's completely spoiled the track and any chance of running a decent realistic race. IRL race drivers drive with 2 wheels off track with little to no speed penalties. The game has built false penalty system that could have been implemented a lot more realistically with drive through penalties for persistent cut track offences.

I really don't think the replies to this actually understand what im trying to say. The built in system is a false and unrealistic attempt to penalise off track excursions. Therefore in its attempt to unrealistically change the outcome of an event by implementing a buggy cut track penalty.

Loss of lap time during practice and quali then track limits flag followed by drive through penalties while in race is a much more intellectual and realistic approach to address the possibilities of cheating.

GenBrien
16-05-2015, 13:05
go check that video @57 seconds.
Hapenned last week
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnPafCZ8p8s

dyr_gl
16-05-2015, 13:09
Gravel is fine the way it is. I think people fails to understand why they get sucked by it. One side of your car is rolling on tarmac with very low resistance. The other is getting slowed down big time. So of course the car is going to turn that way.

In racing you always see a driver become a sitting duck the next stright after going off with 2 wheels, they canīt put the power down. It shouldnīt be free here. Game nailed it.