PDA

View Full Version : Force Feedback Settings - Steering Settings, explanations, descriptions and how-to's?

rocafella1978
09-05-2015, 11:14
hi SMS staff, after having problems or not feeling the FFB properly or soft, sometimes too much, and trying to understand all the FFB details in game settings, i tried to google the problem and jn finding a solution, came to find out there are hundreds of post people complaining or at least not knowing how and what all the settings are for. is there a guide you can provide for this?
also maybe how you have tested on various platforms and various manufacturers steering wheels and bases with FFB, since the standard FFB does not seem to work well, i can only say with my Fanatec CSW Base V2 and BMW GT2 steering wheel i have been unsuccessfull in getting a proper/ realistic setup for how the vehicles feel and drive on PC and on PS4 version. (I have both)
and of course any help, guides, tutorials, manuals, videos would be greatly appreciated. (and yes, have found many other online already but would like to get some direct feedback from the makers and creators themselves)
thanks again for your wonderful work and game you have provided to sim racing gamers around the world! and your hard work!

poirqc
09-05-2015, 11:58
I agree with you that tutorials would be really helpfull. This kind of game can't be enjoyed without proper calibration.

In my case, i'm having a hard time finding information about 270 degree lock wheel. I have a momo racing logitech wheel.

Thank you

Bart
09-05-2015, 12:41
Im sure some users will do it quicker then devs. So please share it :) with us.

rocafella1978
09-05-2015, 14:23
reading this FFB problems with various wheels on so many outside forums, and i can't get mine to work properly...maybe wait for next updates/ patches of game? i am sure WMD/ SMS is overwhelmed with support, bugs, glitches and major system & platform issues all over the world, not to speak of major system crashes i have been reading about on other forums and youtube videos people showing/ recording.

Dan Brightstone
09-05-2015, 16:25
An offical DETAILED pdf explaining exactly what each FFB setting does and what each setting adjustment means would be fantastic, Ive 10 years PC sim racing experience and the lack of explination has got me totally dumbfounded as it has many others, the task of trial and error becomes near on impossible when faced with over 1,000,000+ possible setting combinations and no explination of exactly what each slider means. Ive done the usual google / youtube searches and yes there are vids others have done but from all of those ive seen no ones really knows exactly what everything means. Asides from this well done, yes there are bugs to be ironed out but the overall package if very impressive!

E30_Hntsvl
09-05-2015, 16:36
Not sure where I copied this from, but it was helpful for me. Whomever authored it, I apologize for not knowing who you are.

General FFB strength
Output strength of the FFB to the wheel after it has been calculated by the FFB engine. This is basically the final 'volume' adjustment of the FFB. This means that if the FFB is clipping, turning the FFB strength down won't help anymore.

Tyre Force
This is the strength of the tyre contribution to the FFB, which is also the main contributor to the FFB. If the FFB is too high or too low for all cars, you can adjust this value to get it equally stronger/weaker for all cars.

The car-specific settings
These you want to adjust when the FFB of one car is good while for the next car it's too weak or strong (or has a wrong subjective balance of the individual force contributors).

Spindle Master Scale: this scales the forces below it equally up and down, i.e. it's the FFB 'volume knob' specifically for that car. Turn it down if the FFB is clipping, and up if it's too weak.
Fx: this is the FFB component representing the longitudinal force on the tyre contact patch. This should determine FFB when accelerating or braking, but I haven't really experimented with this one yet.
Fy: this is the FFB component representing the lateral force on the tyre contact patch. Very important for feeling mass transfer/inertia of the car when cornering.
Fz: this is the FFB component representing the vertical force on the tyre contact patch. This plays an important part in the 'road feel' of the FFB, i.e. when going over bumps in the road.
Mz: this is the FFB component representing the twisting force of the wheels, i.e. rotation along the vertical axis of the wheel. It is the self-aligning force of the wheels into the driving direction and is most important for getting the 'classic' feel of the FFB getting lighter when the front tyres lose grip.

So when you want a particular force to stand out in the FFB, raise its relative contribution to the total FFB, and after that adjust the Spindle Master Scale value if necessary to get the FFB stay within the full range (i.e. not clipping or getting too weak)."

Roger Prynne
09-05-2015, 16:58
I thought this might help some of you guys having problems setting up the FFB.

https://youtu.be/mlOdRTB4njY

rocafella1978
09-05-2015, 22:28
yeah one of many posted and even in forums, the problem is, that nothing is 100% in regards to the sliders and other options and what they do and how they function, it is basically from people "thinking" the function is "this and that" but nobody can really confirm.

Andjem
09-05-2015, 22:30
try adjusting deadzone removal range to 0.10 - 0.50 and increasing master spindle scale in the car setup options.

Dan Brightstone
10-05-2015, 00:11
yeah one of many posted and even in forums, the problem is, that nothing is 100% in regards to the sliders and other options and what they do and how they function, it is basically from people "thinking" the function is "this and that" but nobody can really confirm.

I totally agree with you rocafella, no one can really confirm 100%, I'm very hopefully that an official detailed settings guide can be made available soon

Aldo Zampatti
10-05-2015, 00:24
Made this "helpful"post:

Also try this one guys: forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?22938-Jack-Spade-FFB-Tweaker-Files

rocafella1978
10-05-2015, 02:00
will surely give it a try last night for me thoug until further notice, not that i don't want to try, but just built a computer fresh not even 2 weeks old, playing other race games wonderfilly works all, and was so excited to get PCars and computer keeps freezing, crashing and etc. (no OC and no other heckmeck, plain computer with steam and just games) that' it. thanks thougn for all the hard work WMD SMS and all collaborators put into do beautiful and fantastic game! surely things will get better and smoother!

schigara
10-05-2015, 03:10
One thing I just learned from Qxs at the WMD forum is that my Fy Scale was way too high. All the scales were at the default of 100 and my wheel felt like a centering spring was on which made the feel for lateral grip impossible.

If your wheel feels springy and the cars feel floaty like you can't tell if the tires are losing grip in turns unless you totally lock up the brakes, try turning the Fy Scale from 100 to 30-40 to start with. Once I saw that the FY needed to be much lower than the rest, I started playing with the arm angle and then I raised the spindle master scale to 60, Fx to 120, Fy to 30, Fz to 55 an Mz to 108 and now the FFB feels almost like it does in Game Stock Car. For the first time in a long time(year and a half or longer) I can feel lateral grip.

This is a 180deg turnaround from awful FFB that is clipping on the FY scale, even though the meter doesn't show clipping and not being able to feel when lateral grip is lost, to almost fantastic FFB.

poirqc
10-05-2015, 11:47
Hi again,

Someone probably proposed that already. Since there's lots of real estate in the menus UI, a mouse over tooltip, for each settings would be nice. It would be easier to tune them one by one.

Thank you

speedracer77777
10-05-2015, 21:55
Hi guys,
So I have two things that are really frustrating me that I hope somebody can help with:
I'm using a logitech G27
1- the wheel centers by itself If you turn the wheel (pretty much any angle but let's say 70 degrees) the wheel will try to center itself if you release it. I have turned off centering in the logitech profiler, tried setting it to 0. Basically I cannot find a way to turn it off.
I guess my question is twofold.
Does everybody else experience this? If not, then how do I turn it off/fix it
2- the second problem that I have is that the wheel will vibrate when centered driving straight down the road. It happens at speed and also at even about 30mph. It's not bumps in the road for sure.
I have applied Jack's FFB fixes and tried stock. I have reset my wheel and reset the FFB calibration in Pcars
Is there anyway I can get something that resembles real life and not this mess?

Roger Prynne
11-05-2015, 12:41
Hi guys,
So I have two things that are really frustrating me that I hope somebody can help with:
I'm using a logitech G27
1- the wheel centers by itself If you turn the wheel (pretty much any angle but let's say 70 degrees) the wheel will try to center itself if you release it. I have turned off centering in the logitech profiler, tried setting it to 0. Basically I cannot find a way to turn it off.
I guess my question is twofold.
Does everybody else experience this? If not, then how do I turn it off/fix it
2- the second problem that I have is that the wheel will vibrate when centered driving straight down the road. It happens at speed and also at even about 30mph. It's not bumps in the road for sure.
I have applied Jack's FFB fixes and tried stock. I have reset my wheel and reset the FFB calibration in Pcars
Is there anyway I can get something that resembles real life and not this mess?
Is this at standstill or when driving? If when driving then this is how it should be.

Jack Spade
11-05-2015, 13:14
I posted this in a similar thread.

The pCARS FFB System derivates data directly from car and tire physics so the the terms Mz, Fy etc.
Likewise many real world technical systems having some sort of issues this one here is no different. Even if you know what´s behind all these terms
cause you´ve studied the guides sooner or later you run into those issues. As a long-time WMD member I already came across them, so in this case,
before you´re going to invent an other wheel, download my FFB tweaker files, see in signature.

Rob Stewart
11-05-2015, 21:41
FFB settings seem to be becoming the blight of my life. Having got a new wheel and PC last year all I seem to have done so far is try to get my FFB working nicely in iRacing and Assetto Corsa - and now I have ProjectCars to set up.

I don't sim race anymore I just spend my spare time fannying about with FFB settings. :(

Edit - Jack Spade's settings have helped me a lot in PCars tho - thanks.

nomen nescio
14-05-2015, 14:43
I bought pCars last night (pc version > DVD) and I'm overwhelmed with all the controller settings. My first language isn't English and it is impossible for me personally to understand what everything means.

SMS should indeed make a guide with a proper explanation of every controller setting. It is impossible to enjoy this game to the fullest without knowing which setting to change and how much.

I found some explanations here on this forum but not nearly enough to start "playing" with the settings. I don't even know what FFB clipping means. Not even to mention that "scoop" thing.

jay080
04-06-2015, 08:29
While the settings were correct before the game's release , all effects were embellished making it very difficult to find a good setting. For my part I mainly play rfactor 2 which is my reference in terms of driving feel and physic . I find assetto corsa is not up to either because too much unwanted vibrations . Ideally qualities rfactor with graphics project cars . Anyway since the release and the latest update of project cars I do not play it and I hoped Verily a patch has come to the height of the game.

STEELJOCKEY
09-06-2015, 02:05
I bought pCars last night (pc version > DVD) and I'm overwhelmed with all the controller settings. My first language isn't English and it is impossible for me personally to understand what everything means.

SMS should indeed make a guide with a proper explanation of every controller setting. It is impossible to enjoy this game to the fullest without knowing which setting to change and how much.

I found some explanations here on this forum but not nearly enough to start "playing" with the settings. I don't even know what FFB clipping means. Not even to mention that "scoop" thing.

Exactly my thoughts, and gathered by many threads and discussions most are feeling the same way.

The explanations in game menus are very poor, and there doesn't seem to be any enlightenment on the net as to what they mean, and what changing them will affect.

Taking out the small graphical issues and cars getting stuck in pits etc, this is a great game, pushing boundaries in graphics and physics, dynamic weather and time of day. It makes other racing games take notice.

jason
09-06-2015, 05:28
I must agree , that a pdf covering every force feedback setting and details would be extremely helpful . I havnt given up on ffb settings , spent countless hrs and hrs playing with it with some success .........

What worries me now is when this new patch comes everything will change again :mad:

VALLEYSBOY
09-06-2015, 10:18
I thought this might help some of you guys having problems setting up the FFB.

https://youtu.be/mlOdRTB4njY

Hi thanks for this link, but this guy says hes using t300 "same as me" but he clearly says use PS4 button, where as i was advised to use PS3 button, both on thrustmaster drivers page and here, what should i now do? my ffb is shifting left to right, and i am trying to start from page one, but i dont know what is my starting point? with regards to these buttons? any help please

Steve Dean
09-06-2015, 10:29
Hi thanks for this link, but this guy says hes using t300 "same as me" but he clearly says use PS4 button, where as i was advised to use PS3 button, both on thrustmaster drivers page and here, what should i now do? my ffb is shifting left to right, and i am trying to start from page one, but i dont know what is my starting point? with regards to these buttons? any help please

I watched that video quite a while ago but im pretty sure he has it set to PS4 because that's the system he was playing it on in the video, I mean you could try putting it into PS4 mode and see what happens.

Roger Prynne
09-06-2015, 10:54
If you want detailed info on the FFB take a look at the link in my sig.

VALLEYSBOY
09-06-2015, 11:06
If you want detailed info on the FFB take a look at my sig.

Ok i will hace a look through now :) many thanks for your time and everyones time who trys to help out :)

mattcwell
10-06-2015, 02:48
If you want detailed info on the FFB take a look at the link in my sig.

Roger, thanks for the guide. I have read it numerous times and am still having trouble wrapping my head around many of the technical terms. English is my primary language and I have a bachelors degree in aeronautical science, but much of what is in the guide is way over my head, as I am sure it is for many. By the way, I have been sim racing since before force feedback was even a thing.

I think what many of us are crying out for is a simple explanation as to what exactly each setting does in relation to how it will feel in the wheel. For example, when you explain in the relative clamp section, "This is the force to wheel value (so in the 0.0 to 1.0 range) where the non absolute running magnitude is clamped". I have no earthly idea what the non absolute running magnitude is. Much of the rest of the FFB explanations are like this, where terms are referred to that I have never heard in my life, so most of the explanations are useless to me.

I'd like to say that I appreciate the technical know-how that it takes to make all this stuff work. And I also know that FFB is a very personalized thing, and therefore it should be customizable to a certain degree. I just think there comes a point where the tools that we are given are useless because I don't know what any of it means. During the alphas and betas, I was in the 'more options the better' camp, but I think there is a point where it can be too much, and too complicated for even seasoned vets, myself included.

Going forward, it would be nice to have some canned settings to start with, along with a simple explanation for each setting as to what turning it up or down will feel like in the wheel, not what it technically does.

Again, I appreciate what WMD has created, because I think it has a great base and future ahead. A little more user friendliness would go a long way.

Roger Prynne
10-06-2015, 11:38
Hi mattcwell, yes it is very hard to understand and get your head around isn't it, the explanations in my post in Jacks thread are not my own by the way but a copy and paste from a previous Guide written by our FFB guru AJ.

As you say FFB can be a subjective thing and trying to put all the different settings in an easy to read document is going to be hard as altering one value can then have a knock on effect on another and so on.

Have you tried Jacks FFB Tweakers (http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?22938-Jack-Spade-FFB-Tweaker-Files) as this is the best way to get started and you might even like them and never have to understand what they do.

There is a better explanation with examples and a diagram in the Attachment below but still might be difficult for some to understand.
The examples contained in this document might help as well.