PDA

View Full Version : HUD telemetry tyre traction circle

tennenbaum
09-05-2015, 12:57
Mysterious traction circles.

I hope there a some experts out there who can explain the purpose of the number directly under the tyre symbol in the HUD's traction circles around each wheel.

Just a summary of what we are looking at:

The "traction circle" with its force vector (which is the black and colored handle that quickly rotates clock- or counterclockwise) representing the physics on each wheel is a great thing, but not very comprehensive on first sight:

While the dynamically flexing radius of each circle stands for the amount of "workload" in terms of "grip", the changing colors of the circle signalize how close you get to the maximum grip: Orange = close to lose grip, Red = tire starts slipping.

Both together the color of the circle (standing for its readiness to slip) and its size/radius showing the available grip can lead to a pretty counter-intuitive reading: Intuitively you'd expect the bigger the circle the more it turns to red. Actually the circle can turn to red no matter if the tyre contributes a lot of grip or close to none grip, due to two extremes:

a.) the tyre can start to slip (red) at the very moment while it provides maximum holding force/grip (=big circle),
b.) the tyre can start to slip (red) while it contributes none or close to none holding forces (=small circle).

So far so logical. However, there is a reading that i cannot interpret:

What does the number directly below the tyre-symbol within the traction circle say?

The number varies between 0 and above 160 (depending on the car, I assume). Does anybody know for what that number stands for?

The number seems to correlate with grip and "slippery-ness" in a paradox way: On the one hand the number increases with an increasing grip force but also changes abruptly to > 100 even while all grip gets lost when the circle gets red and small (e.g. car go overs a bump and tires get off the ground). So what does that number stand for?

It'd be great to get an answer.

Thanks and best!

Great game by the way, and i hope the telemetry HUD and other race-info-display readings find their way in the replays soon.

AP200
25-05-2015, 18:57
0-100 equals how much grip you have with 100 equaling max grip. everything above 100 equals how much you re slipping. See the link below.

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?23037-Telemetry-detail&p=892187&viewfull=1#post892187

sttp01
17-08-2015, 06:17
Has patch 3.0 done away with the grip indicator values. I used these values a lot when setting up my cars. These numbers were more useful then my tyre compound. Bring them back please.

Bealdor
17-08-2015, 08:36
Has patch 3.0 done away with the grip indicator values. I used these values a lot when setting up my cars. These numbers were more useful then my tyre compound. Bring them back please.

The traction circles are still there and the 0-100 value beneath it was not a grip indicator. It was a leftover from the old Brush Tire Model. That's why it got removed.

Nats
17-08-2015, 12:36
Maybe its just me but I find the telemetry useless in this game. Doesnt tell me a thing. Mind you I dont understand it so that might be why. But then again I am used to the lovely telemetry charts of F1Challenge where you could go do a few laps then come back to the garage and analyse your ride height, tyre & brake temps etc over the whole course in chart form, and overlay a few laps to see the impact of any changes. My god the telemetry in that game was wonderful. I can only dream of getting something like that here. Its a whole aspect to the game that is missing IMO.

Reiche
17-08-2015, 12:40
Nats, have you tried 3rd party apps like pCars Profiler by Tom Shane or pCars Telemetry?

Bealdor
17-08-2015, 12:43
Maybe its just me but I find the telemetry useless in this game. Doesnt tell me a thing. Mind you I dont understand it so that might be why. But then again I am used to the lovely telemetry charts of F1Challenge where you could go do a few laps then come back to the garage and analyse your ride height, tyre & brake temps etc over the whole course in chart form, and overlay a few laps to see the impact of any changes. My god the telemetry in that game was wonderful. I can only dream of getting something like that here. Its a whole aspect to the game that is missing IMO.

If you'Re on PC you should check out the API forum section (http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/forumdisplay.php?136-Project-CARS-APP-amp-API-Discussion). There are great app out there featuring everything you're asking for (like the pCARS Profiler (http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?23284-pCARS-Profiler-%28Telemetry-amp-Analysis%29-PC-ONLY-v1-6)).

Edit: Ninja'd

miraculix99
17-08-2015, 14:27
The traction circles are still there and the 0-100 value beneath it was not a grip indicator. It was a leftover from the old Brush Tire Model. That's why it got removed.

I'm glad somebody joined who seems to know about the tire model under the engine's hood: I thought originally it was the SETA (Seta Tire Model). Is or was SETA a "WMD - invented" derivate of a "Brush Tire Model"? And, what's the "new" model now? Last not least: Since i cracked my mind about the logic of the 1-100 and beyond number, what did that number express?

Bealdor
17-08-2015, 14:31
The current model is the STM (Seta Tire Model). It is based on FEM (Finite Element Method) and is a different approach to tire physics than the classic Brush Tire Model.
I don't know what that number meant in the good old BTM days but it could've been indeed a grip value number.

sttp01
18-08-2015, 06:31
The current model is the STM (Seta Tire Model). It is based on FEM (Finite Element Method) and is a different approach to tire physics than the classic Brush Tire Model.
I don't know what that number meant in the good old BTM days but it could've been indeed a grip value number.

Thanks guys for clearing that up. Since now I know they are not grip indicators I can judge based on the circles while cornering. Some cars like the caterham love to pull the front wheels off the ground when cornering hard leaving little grip to the inside front tire. I feel like very few people utilize the telemetry and most of the people I race with don't even touch there differentials smh.

pigsy
18-08-2015, 08:33
If you'Re on PC you should check out the API forum section (http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/forumdisplay.php?136-Project-CARS-APP-amp-API-Discussion). There are great app out there featuring everything you're asking for (like the pCARS Profiler (http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?23284-pCARS-Profiler-%28Telemetry-amp-Analysis%29-PC-ONLY-v1-6)).

Edit: Ninja'd

With respect we shouldn't have to use 3rd party apps. It should be incorporated into the game.

pigsy
18-08-2015, 08:37
Realtime telemetry is good but how are you to analyse it whilst driving? A static in pit telemetry program developed by SMS would be wonderful.

Bealdor
18-08-2015, 09:09
With respect we shouldn't have to use 3rd party apps. It should be incorporated into the game.

Of course it would be great to have such a feature ingame but that's not the case atm. We have to work with what we have right now.

Realtime telemetry is good but how are you to analyse it whilst driving? A static in pit telemetry program developed by SMS would be wonderful.

The pCARS Profiler app I linked has a recording function.

Flihp
19-08-2015, 03:03
FYI, pcars profiler, uses that number from 0-100 as a tire grip value for its telemetry. But having said that I don't think it has any valuable info from it, because it seems ( for me anyway) that inside wheels go to zero when cornering. Surely if it was a grip value, the inside wheels still generate grip. Maybe it's more of a load value, makes more sense when those inside wheel go low numbers, but then doesn't make sense when accelerating and the rear go low. I ll keep a bit more of an eye on it as all those things interest me and I like to tinker with stuff.

phil

miraculix99
28-09-2015, 12:45
FYI, pcars profiler, uses that number from 0-100 as a tire grip value for its telemetry. But having said that I don't think it has any valuable info from it, because it seems ( for me anyway) that inside wheels go to zero when cornering. Surely if it was a grip value, the inside wheels still generate grip. Maybe it's more of a load value, makes more sense when those inside wheel go low numbers, but then doesn't make sense when accelerating and the rear go low. I ll keep a bit more of an eye on it as all those things interest me and I like to tinker with stuff.

phil

It's about time the devs give us more info about the physics ;-)