PDA

View Full Version : serious online issues- really destroys multiplayer

bloopy66
09-05-2015, 14:33
The game has a few glitches but most I can deal with as I can enjoy the game, but the multiplayer search is soooooooooo bad it is unreal. I have looked forward to this game coming out for months and I would overlook almost anything due to my over excited giddyness but the multiplayer is destroying the game.

Issues I'm having:

A lobby to see and pick from active lobby's would make an unbelievably large difference, with your game being so huge with car options/tracks etc its very difficult to find what you are looking for.

I have seen that you say this isn't possible which is sad and if so these fixes need to be made to the current system.

The search options are rubbish and turn it into an hour long lucky dip, yes you can search for class/track/difficulty but that's no way specific enough or the main things you want. You need to be able to search by:

Members in lobby/race- sometimes you just want to go where there is people.

the option to filter out lobbys that have mixes of class cars - I don't often care what I race as long as the other races are restricted to the same class or car, I want to be able to race. Yes you can select class but I don't need to do a specific class, I just want a competitive race.

Being able to filter which session to join - I want the option of whether to join a practice warm-up or qualifying, it will so often bung you in a qualifying which has 15 mins to go so that's 15 mins of waiting (why can't you just join a qualifying and participate at any stage)

The entire time I have written this message on my kindle (which takes ages because it is a kindle) the game has been searching online to find a game and still not found anything, on the first Saturday of release in the middle of the day, so search issues there.

Also half the time I search it boots me out of racenet and I have to go back into online.

They are small points but together they mAke online a pure lucky dip which is unplayable. I have had 2 races online since release and they were fantastic and I am sitting here frustrated wanting to play my game more but it won't let me.

It's so sad

I bought a wheel just for this game

Please respond and let me know whether this is how multiplayer will remain because if it is I need to stop trying to press this damn search button and just try and get some amusement from the single player. I feel like I am in Vegas pulling the slots and constantly getting two cherries and an Apple.

Cheers

Bloops

coggin66
15-05-2015, 13:26
I agree. I'm on XB1 and having the same frustrations with multiplayer.

I've only been able to race once and I couldn't finish that because it froze on me. I could hear sounds but nothing happening on screen.

Search often doesn't find a game. If I get too specific in my search it tells me the game is full yet when I reach a lobby it rarely has more than 8 or 9 players!

Got to one race tonight but "Drive" was locked out. I suspect it was because the host changed the circuit just as I was joining to drive.

The two qualifying sessions I did get to I only got an on screen instrument panel and HUD. I'm in the cockpit position but no car and unable to change to another driving position. Felt all wrong and couldn't cope so quit. Sorry fellow racers.

I'm in Oz so ping is usually terrible ... but if I can't choose from a lobby due to "first party issues" at least allocate me to a game that has half a chance of being stable.

I know this is a bit of a rant for my first post but this game swings from pure joy (even with my twitchy XB1 controller) to complete frustration at its many bugs and shortcomings. I hope these get resolved soon.

Coggin66
XB1 - XB1 controller

Ch1ps N Queso
15-05-2015, 13:35
I can confirm I am frustrated with the MP experience as well.

Alexandru Marian
15-05-2015, 16:37
Hi guys,

First of all please rest assured we have read the multiple threads on this issue and we understand your desire to have the current search functionality replaced by something similar to what is on PC and PS4. This is indeed something we are looking at right now and are discussing with Microsoft. Unfortunately however we cannot offer any more news beyond the fact that we are investigating this and that it is something we would like to add in a patch soon.

In the meantime the upcoming patch should offer some improved stability so at least any races you do join via the current search system should be stable.

HEF51
15-05-2015, 16:40
Hi guys,

First of all please rest assured we have read the multiple threads on this issue and we understand your desire to have the current search functionality replaced by something similar to what is on PC and PS4. This is indeed something we are looking at right now and are discussing with Microsoft. Unfortunately however we cannot offer any more news beyond the fact that we are investigating this and that it is something we would like to add in a patch soon.

In the meantime the upcoming patch should offer some improved stability so at least any races you do join via the current search system should be stable.

Any word on game chat? Every time we have tried to use in game chat (not party chat) you can only hear half of the people in the lobby. It seems completely random too. This is also a big issue because it is much needed for league racing.

Alexandru Marian
15-05-2015, 17:04
We are investigating the game chat issues as well.

While this is still something being looked at and I can't offer a complete solution to this problem, I can offer some some technical insight into it.

For game chat data to be sent from console A to console B there has to be a direct connection created between the two (what we refer to as a full mesh network). The creation of this connection is attempted by our code when someone new joins the session (i.e. the new joiner will try to initiate a connection to everyone else already in the session). Occasionally this can fail for a number of reasons - the connections are not pure UDP sockets but use Xbox Live's secure connection protocol (so all communication is encrypted).

If connections do fail we retry to create them at regular intervals while the session is ongoing. For everything else apart from voice data we have mechanisms in place to re-route information through other consoles. That means that if consoles A and B can't connect to each other but they can both connect to C, they will use C as a relay between the two. Voice data is not sent like this in order to not affect console C's gameplay experience by eating into its bandwidth.

So there is a chance that there might be issues in getting your consoles connected if you can't hear each other in game chat. One thing to check is the NAT setting on your Internet connection. You can see this on your Xbox One console as well by going to Settings -> Network and looking at the "NAT Type" value. Ideally it should say "Open". If you have anything else apart from "Open" there is a potential you might have connectivity problems with other players.

Another thing to try is to attempt to create a new session with the player you are having issues talking to via game chat and see if you can communicate ok with them in that new session. If this happens for you it would be helpful if you can let us know as that information could help us understand better the causes of this bug.

Of course there might also be a bug in our code as well which is why we are investigating this ourselves. We will update you with more information if we manage to identify anything related to this issue.

HEF51
15-05-2015, 17:18
We are investigating the game chat issues as well.

While this is still something being looked at and I can't offer a complete solution to this problem, I can offer some some technical insight into it.

For game chat data to be sent from console A to console B there has to be a direct connection created between the two (what we refer to as a full mesh network). The creation of this connection is attempted by our code when someone new joins the session (i.e. the new joiner will try to initiate a connection to everyone else already in the session). Occasionally this can fail for a number of reasons - the connections are not pure UDP sockets but use Xbox Live's secure connection protocol (so all communication is encrypted).

If connections do fail we retry to create them at regular intervals while the session is ongoing. For everything else apart from voice data we have mechanisms in place to re-route information through other consoles. That means that if consoles A and B can't connect to each other but they can both connect to C, they will use C as a relay between the two. Voice data is not sent like this in order to not affect console C's gameplay experience by eating into its bandwidth.

So there is a chance that there might be issues in getting your consoles connected if you can't hear each other in game chat. One thing to check is the NAT setting on your Internet connection. You can see this on your Xbox One console as well by going to Settings -> Network and looking at the "NAT Type" value. Ideally it should say "Open". If you have anything else apart from "Open" there is a potential you might have connectivity problems with other players.

Another thing to try is to attempt to create a new session with the player you are having issues talking to via game chat and see if you can communicate ok with them in that new session. If this happens for you it would be helpful if you can let us know as that information could help us understand better the causes of this bug.

Of course there might also be a bug in our code as well which is why we are investigating this ourselves. We will update you with more information if we manage to identify anything related to this issue.

Thank you for the update and the explanation. It was very clear and concise. I can assure you that our league has all open NATs with hardwired connections (Maybe one or two guys on Wifi) and guys that I could hear in say, Forza 5, I can no longer hear in pCARS.

For reference this is seriously a rule in our league cause we had so many problems with Forza 5:

Your Internet Connection:

All drivers are expected to have a wired connection with an Open Nat. No wifi will be allowed. Although we don’t have a strict Upload/Download minimum we reserve the right to bar any bad connections from events to ensure a good experience for all.

So I hope it at least gets looked at and if not fixed as this is entirely frustrating when you can talk to half of the room.

Alexandru Marian
15-05-2015, 17:24
Thank you for this info. Again, apologies for the issues you are experiencing with the game chat and we hope we can solve this one soon.

o Mike V o
15-05-2015, 17:41
FYI, Game chat in Forza 5 was not very reliable either when you had multiple people from different regions, I think it may be an MS thing.

FederalHercules
15-05-2015, 17:55
Game chat is Forza 5 was not very reliable either, I think it may be an MS thing.

It may be. Many of our league members tried to champion a fix from both XBOX Live support and Turn 10 but to no avail last year. The thing is, other games I play (such as Titanfall and Destiny) do not demonstrate this issue. From admittedly narrow experience, it seem isolated to racing games. :)

I am very grateful to Alexandru Marian for the detailed and candid reply. If it turns out to be a XBOX Live issue then hopefully SMS can help us (the community) put pressure on MS armed with technical facts and demonstrable proof.

FederalHercules
15-05-2015, 18:10
I have to ask, was a client/server model ever considered Alexandru?

It seems to me the whole transitive routing you described only increases the likely hood that an online session will see unstable behavior. Unless everyone involved has great bandwidth not just with their ISP but all the way to the tier 1 network providers.

I am sure the economics are the primary factor (given that backend support must be paid for by someone). But other games typically get support for this by the community (like Battlefield).

Just curious.

Bryer
15-05-2015, 18:30
It should be slowly become a thing of the past thanks to MS moving all chat to separate servers. Game chat is due to be migrated in a future console OS update.

HEF51
15-05-2015, 18:43
It should be slowly become a thing of the past thanks to MS moving all chat to separate servers. Game chat is due to be migrated in a future console OS update.

I'll believe when I hear it.