PDA

View Full Version : AI getting a bit feisty

Daynja
09-05-2015, 14:39
I cant compete with these nutters :)

They are really fast in slow corners (unrealistically fast) and cut track sometimes too. AI agression being worked on? I Hope so the game is great fun minus the Maldonados on track with me :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExajBGxDkCs

Mahjik
09-05-2015, 15:38
Turn the AI level down and they will be less aggressive.

Martin03
09-05-2015, 15:40
Turn the AI level down and they will be less aggressive.

How does that help? if you turn the AI level down then they are less aggressivie since they are behind you since you are way faster then they are...

Mahjik
09-05-2015, 15:46
How does that help? if you turn the AI level down then they are less aggressivie since they are behind you since you are way faster then they are...

In his case, he isn't faster so he should put the AI a little lower so they don't run up on him. Currently the aggression is tied to level so as you increase the level, they get more aggressive and will pass wherever possible.

Stretch
09-05-2015, 15:55
It does get annoying when the AI constantly turn in on you and ram you on straights but I'm sure they will patch it

JonZ
09-05-2015, 16:00
AIs on the other hands have the strongest car recovery I ever seen. This is me deliberately ramming one of them :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Of6tKlZxN2I

Joethe147
09-05-2015, 16:16
Turn the AI down? Possibly but did you see how often the AI were cutting corners in that video?!

I've noticed a fair bit in my own career too. When racing the AI they can be great but stuff like needlessly cutting corners will hopefully be worked on.

Odd too in the last video how the player can smash into AI yet AI can be barely affected but the player suffers a lot.

Daynja
09-05-2015, 17:17
Its the corner cutting im most concerned about. That is black flag material there as they do it al the time, when i defend.

3800racingfool
09-05-2015, 17:56
AIs on the other hands have the strongest car recovery I ever seen. This is me deliberately ramming one of them :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Of6tKlZxN2I

Please tell me you had damage off there... There's no way either of those cars should still be running let alone looking that good after an impact like that.

OT: I haven't had to deal with much corner cutting, but I do find that AI cars don't play very nice while going side-by-side through corners. I've had multiple instances where I've been running side-by-side with an AI driver into/through a corner and should have been left some space. Instead the AI just turned into me like I wasn't even there. Feels more like having to race "around" the AI instead of "with" them.

0zzy94
09-05-2015, 18:24
In the first video it appeared the AI cut the track to avoid T boning the player. Seemed quite realistic, however instead of barging him when he got on track he should have given up the position as he gained it illegally.

I've noticed this happen a lot too, especially on tight chicanes or hairpins.. Almost no point of defending. I would rather let them take the inside than block it, if I block it (into a chicane or hairpin) I know they'll cut it and then T bone me, sending me into a spin as they drive off leaving me rather frustrated.

Connor Caple
09-05-2015, 19:52
I see various problems with the AI.

I honestly think they are 'on rails' through some of the corners, particularly on the first lap. I follow them through corners at the same speed on the same line and slide way off the track, even when they are only set to 70%!

Aggression: Big issue - possibly related to them following a set line and not wanting to think about driving anywhere else? Try Oulton Park+Formula Rookie, 19 opponents, random grid placement and see how many times you get walloped before you finish one lap. I was pushed out onto the grass-crete on the exit of the first corner, then just for good measure the AI jinked over there to slam me into the barriers and break my suspension, for example. :rolleyes:

They cut corners in some areas and are NOT affected by gravel/grass like the player is. They maintain speed, rejoin the track and continue racing as if they just crossed a piece of tarmac.

It makes racing against them a lot less fun at times. I know this isn't the only 'next-gen' sim to have these issues, just hoping they can be addressed quickly.

Mahjik
09-05-2015, 21:10
Its the corner cutting im most concerned about. That is black flag material there as they do it al the time, when i defend.

If you bring the AI level down just a few notches, it will help. Also, the AI will shoot for a gap if it sees it on the upper levels (which means it will cut more often). Also, since the AI will attempt moves like that, you need to be further in on the corner (as if you were racing a real life human). There are two racing lines on a track: the ideal line and then the protective line. If you would have taken a protective line on that corner, the AI wouldn't have went for the cut (and I've been dealing with the pCARS AI for quite a while).

I see various problems with the AI.

I honestly think they are 'on rails' through some of the corners, particularly on the first lap. I follow them through corners at the same speed on the same line and slide way off the track, even when they are only set to 70%!

Aggression: Big issue - possibly related to them following a set line and not wanting to think about driving anywhere else? Try Oulton Park+Formula Rookie, 19 opponents, random grid placement and see how many times you get walloped before you finish one lap. I was pushed out onto the grass-crete on the exit of the first corner, then just for good measure the AI jinked over there to slam me into the barriers and break my suspension, for example. :rolleyes:

They cut corners in some areas and are NOT affected by gravel/grass like the player is. They maintain speed, rejoin the track and continue racing as if they just crossed a piece of tarmac.

It makes racing against them a lot less fun at times. I know this isn't the only 'next-gen' sim to have these issues, just hoping they can be addressed quickly.

There are things that affect the player which don't affect the AI. Cold tires is one of them so the AI will be a little quicker in the beginning if you aren't so good yourself with cold tires. The AI was designed to start off races a little slower and then pick up speed to compensate.

For open wheeler races, you have to dial the AI down. The aggression is too high at the upper levels which causes too much wheel to wheel contact. The upper AI levels are fine for non-open wheelers. The other thing is the amount of AI. The more AI you add, the more chaos there is...

Daynja
09-05-2015, 21:29
If you bring the AI level down just a few notches, it will help. Also, the AI will shoot for a gap if it sees it on the upper levels (which means it will cut more often). Also, since the AI will attempt moves like that, you need to be further in on the corner (as if you were racing a real life human). There are two racing lines on a track: the ideal line and then the protective line. If you would have taken a protective line on that corner, the AI wouldn't have went for the cut (and I've been dealing with the pCARS AI for quite a while).

There are things that affect the player which don't affect the AI. Cold tires is one of them so the AI will be a little quicker in the beginning if you aren't so good yourself with cold tires. The AI was designed to start off races a little slower and then pick up speed to compensate.

For open wheeler races, you have to dial the AI down. The aggression is too high at the upper levels which causes too much wheel to wheel contact. The upper AI levels are fine for non-open wheelers. The other thing is the amount of AI. The more AI you add, the more chaos there is...

Thank you for confirming this. I was stunned how i couldn't keep up on an out lap in practise as the AI go full pelt but my cold tyres wont allow me to.

I have noticed that AI dont suffer a weight penalty when I race 100% distance (14-16 lap in my CLio Cup career), on full tank. Lap one to the end they are doing the same lap times we were all doing in qualification.

Connor Caple
10-05-2015, 15:12

The Formula Rookie race was at 70% AI, when they slammed me into the barriers. Are you suggestion we race at 10% AI with 5 opponents to avoid this? ;)

Mahjik
10-05-2015, 15:22
The Formula Rookie race was at 70% AI, when they slammed me into the barriers. Are you suggestion we race at 10% AI with 5 opponents to avoid this? ;)

If you have a video, I'd love to see it of the incident. One thing is the AI will not give up. At the end of the day, a lot of situations require one driver to give up the line so there isn't an incident. The AI won't give up so the player will need to make some allowances knowing this...

mkstatto
10-05-2015, 15:25
I cant compete with these nutters :)

They are really fast in slow corners (unrealistically fast) and cut track sometimes too. AI agression being worked on? I Hope so the game is great fun minus the Maldonados on track with me :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExajBGxDkCs

Exceeding track limits and keeping the place needs looking at. Do the AI get any penalties at all?

wraithsrike
10-05-2015, 16:02
It does get annoying when the AI constantly turn in on you and ram you on straights but I'm sure they will patch it

I personally don't think they need patching, your just not as fast as you like to think you are ( not a dig) just swallow some pride and turn down the difficulty.

Seriously if there hitting you on the straights it means there faster out of the bends than you, like wise in the corners if there under taking you by using the grass or hitting you in the rear your braking to early, the AI in this game race to win and if you set your difficultly to high your going to have to be very good to compete with them,,, toto were sure not in forza anymore.

theredshore
10-05-2015, 16:20
the only issues i have with the AI is them not getting penalised for things i would get penalised for(going off into the sandtrap, cutting corners for example) sometimes at the start of the race they will move all over the place and if i am at the back its difficult to get through however that is realistic mostly and you will see that kind of movement in most series, for me the AI apart from the issues i listed before seem human like, they dont always give you room, they sometimes take you out but that is realistic which i for the most part enjoy

i am also surprised that they dont really run into each other of have incidents on their own but its still much better than GRID where they would spin right in front of you for no reason whatsoever