PDA

View Full Version : Kudos to Ian Bell

myropa
09-05-2015, 16:52
I am a Yank and so have not played my downloaded game yet. But I am really eager for next Tuesday so I can. On my XBox I will add.

I worked for software companies for 20 years before retiring in 2012. My team wrote (and still does) customer training courses for our products. Because we needed to get the training out as soon as possible we worked closely with the R&D and Quality Assurance departments. We got Beta versions to learn the new software. As expected we found lots of things that didn't work the way we expected. Some of those were due to our not understanding how the new stuff worked. And some of it was due to bugs. Our testing and that of QA went on for months. Hundreds of defects were routinely corrected as a result.

Even with all this work we knew that we wouldn't find everything. It is the nature of the business. Make no mistake ... There is more art in software than science. And there is LOTS of science in there!

The bottom line is that software companies pour their hearts into their products. Personal attacks do not speed up dot releases.

I vote for a sainthood for Ian Bell for his honesty and patience. A huge thanks for your time on a day off to respond to issues found on the Xbox One.

And a thanks to the team that I have no doubt are busy burning out keyboards looking for solutions.

Ian Bell
09-05-2015, 16:54
I am a Yank and so have not played my downloaded game yet. But I am really eager for next Tuesday so I can. On my XBox I will add.

I worked for software companies for 20 years before retiring in 2012. My team wrote (and still does) customer training courses for our products. Because we needed to get the training out as soon as possible we worked closely with the R&D and Quality Assurance departments. We got Beta versions to learn the new software. As expected we found lots of things that didn't work the way we expected. Some of those were due to our not understanding how the new stuff worked. And some of it was due to bugs. Our testing and that of QA went on for months. Hundreds of defects were routinely corrected as a result.

Even with all this work we knew that we wouldn't find everything. It is the nature of the business. Make no mistake ... There is more art in software than science. And there is LOTS of science in there!

The bottom line is that software companies pour their hearts into their products. Personal attacks do not speed up dot releases.

I vote for a sainthood for Ian Bell for his honesty and patience. A huge thanks for your time on a day off to respond to issues found on the Xbox One.

And a thanks to the team that I have no doubt are busy burning out keyboards looking for solutions.

Why thank you Sir. This is our baby and it's going to be as close to perfect as we can make it.

Benja190782
09-05-2015, 17:14
^^
Ian do you know if it's possible to navigate the menu in-game with the Xbox Controller on XB1, while still racing with the TX wheel on the track?

I can't use my aftermarket OMP wheel add-on because, I can't navigate the menu with a controller at the same time.

Ian Bell
09-05-2015, 17:15
^^
Ian do you know if it's possible to navigate the menu in-game with the Xbox Controller on XB1, while still racing with the TX wheel on the track?

I can't use my aftermarket OMP wheel add-on because, I can't navigate the menu with a controller at the same time.

That's one beyond me as I don't have the kit. Hopefully someone else with this kit can hop in and help/advise.

PumaSpec
09-05-2015, 18:23
Ian this baby of yours will turn into a big bad boy I have no doubt! I have faith in your team fixing the most important bugs and issue ASAP just like you said. Great game! Thx for what you have delivered so far. :)

ThreeAngryOwls
09-05-2015, 18:25
Amazing game so far, having a blast. Just hope all the issues get ironed out and some neat features like safety cars get implemented. Would be awesome. :)

the dark one
09-05-2015, 18:49
Can't get enough of this game, especially the online mode!! You've outdone yourselves. The only thing that managed to drag me away was the girlfriend.. God damn social life!! ��

RetroNooB
09-05-2015, 20:03
Dear Mr Bell, I realise this is off topic (still learning how 2 navigate forums), but i wanted to ask a senior developer directly, if we will ever see the mclaren mp4/4 in project cars? The car featured heavily in my childhood, and along with the toleman f1 car was the reason i fell in love with motor racing at an early age, if you were to add this car/s my gaming requirements would be fulfilled. Cheers

Fluffy Bunny Feet
09-05-2015, 20:21
Great to see a Dev on the forums. Thank you for listening and replying

Bannsider
09-05-2015, 22:20
^^

I have the TX Wheel and thought I'd give this a go for you, but no joy I'm afraid, the controller doesn't work on the game menu while the TX is connected.

NVI0U5
10-05-2015, 01:35
Out of all the games I have played (its alot Im 31 and grew up with the Atari 2600 and Commodore64), this is the first game I have seen a Dev come out and participate in a public forum with the consumers, the way he has taken ownership of the complaints, Ian Bell, WMD, SMS have won a customer for life. The team here have proved that this is a game built by the community, and by interacting with the community shows this, and also an eagerness to improve the product for the consumer.
Thankyou very much I take my hat off to you guys for producing a great game with outstanding customer service from the top down.

BazzaLB
10-05-2015, 01:45
Make no mistake ... There is more art in software than science. And there is LOTS of science in there!

I've been in EDP/MS/IT for 30 years or more and this has to be the best summary of it I have seen on a forum yet :)

Aldo Zampatti
10-05-2015, 02:21

Well said, and since I'm Argentinian, I'll see If I can pull some strings! :)

HEF51
10-05-2015, 03:06
I have the TX Wheel and thought I'd give this a go for you, but no joy I'm afraid, the controller doesn't work on the game menu while the TX is connected.

That's a shame. Using the wheel to navigate the menus is anything but fun.

merge111
10-05-2015, 04:05
Why thank you Sir. This is our baby and it's going to be as close to perfect as we can make it.

Hi I've seen it posted a fair few times around the forums but there's been no acknowledgement or response on it yet.

Will the upcoming fix remove the huge outer dead zone? It can be seen here https://imgflip.com/gif/l9tuo

Would really appreciate a response on this. I get more control using the d pad than the stick right now...

Dresden
10-05-2015, 05:06
this is the first game I have seen a Dev come out and participate in a public forum with the consumers, the way he has taken ownership of the complaints, Ian Bell, WMD, SMS have won a customer for life.

This is the way that I feel too. After playing 20 years of mass markets games I have rarely seen a developer (yet alone the head of the team) participate on forums. Perhaps this will change over time, as is always the case in this money driven world, but thumbs up from me that at this stage that people are making an effort.

I have (as a result) no doubt that patches and added content will make this game and series awesome. And I am glad to join the ride from the first game.

lonemooseAU
10-05-2015, 06:17
This is the way that I feel too. After playing 20 years of mass markets games I have rarely seen a developer (yet alone the head of the team) participate on forums. Perhaps this will change over time, as is always the case in this money driven world, but thumbs up from me that at this stage that people are making an effort.

I have (as a result) no doubt that patches and added content will make this game and series awesome. And I am glad to join the ride from the first game.

I am pleased to add my thanks to the dev team, and in particular Mr Bell for his engagement and honesty. I too am glad to be part of the journey, and like my driving, the game will require some tuning to reach its potential.

Aldo Zampatti
10-05-2015, 07:49
I am pleased to add my thanks to the dev team, and in particular Mr Bell for his engagement and honesty. I too am glad to be part of the journey, and like my driving, the game will require some tuning to reach its potential.

Yup, not sure if we will be able to fix your driving though.... :cool: :p

Ian Bell
10-05-2015, 08:56
Hi I've seen it posted a fair few times around the forums but there's been no acknowledgement or response on it yet.

Will the upcoming fix remove the huge outer dead zone? It can be seen here https://imgflip.com/gif/l9tuo

Would really appreciate a response on this. I get more control using the d pad than the stick right now...

Here you go (Update at the bottom).
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?22817-Please-read-Xbox-One-Issues-UPDATED

The team worked into the night last night to find the issue. It's fixed and we're pushing out a patch as soon as the big boys get back to work and allow us to.

Bryer
10-05-2015, 09:05
^^

Possible work around would be to sign the controller in as a guest user. I can't try at the moment as the fiancee wants to go out for brekkie.

Plato99
10-05-2015, 09:08
Beautiful, gorgeous game with superb physics and immersive realistic racing experience.
Just waiting to get out...

Please make it happen. Don't let it turn in to a fiasco like Grid Autosport, which the developers managed to kill off within six months due to not fixing game-breaking issues.

You have one hell of a product here and i cant wait to see it fulfill its huge potential.

Sankyo
10-05-2015, 09:14

Maybe to clarify a bit for those not in the know of the whole WMD venture: Project CARS is not a publisher-driven game where the developer (SMS) delivers the game, gets the cash and moves on. Everything about pCARS is owned by SMS, it's their franchise, the game they wanted to make but never got to make until now, and hence they'll stick with it. Also because the money they make now is directly tied to its sales, and hence its quality.