PDA

View Full Version : [ANSWERED] What is WMD?

flyoffacliff
09-05-2015, 18:26
I don't understand what WMD is and how it relates to pCARS. DID they pay SMS to develop the game. What are toolpacks?

Thank you

Siberian Tiger
09-05-2015, 18:32
I try to explain it short:

WMD means World of Mass Development.

Normally you have a Publisher that does Pays the Development Team for creating a Game.
They decide how the Game has to look and defines the Features together with the Dev Team.

Here at WMD the Gamers do funding the Game, and decide together with the Dev Team how the Game should be.
Also the Gamers do testing the Game and give Feedback.

So you can assure that the Game will be like it was designed from the Gamers itself.

It has many Pro's for both Teams the Gamers and the Development Team...

The Toolspacks was different Options how you could participate at this Development Process...

Interchangeable
09-05-2015, 18:34
Hi,

WMD or World Mass Development is the forum for the original backers of the game (people like me, with the yellow name badge) and the staff of SMS.

Toolpacks relate to the level of access each member had during the development stage of the game:

Junior (Update once a month)
Team Memeber ( Once a week)
Full manager, not sure what if that was it was called (Once every few days)
Senior Manager (Every day)

mister dog
09-05-2015, 18:37
Weapons of Mass Destruction ;)

Invincible
09-05-2015, 18:39
Wmd is the world of mass development portal. The idea was to have a game financed by gamers, developed with gamers. Collect feedback from a large community, give them the possibility to share their opinion on some main aspects of the game.
Also it was kinda great for bug finding, because thousands of eyes see more than a few dozens.

Ninja'd 3x

flyoffacliff
09-05-2015, 18:39
I try to explain it short:

WMD means World of Mass Development.

Normally you have a Publisher that does Pays the Development Team for creating a Game.
They decide how the Game has to look and defines the Features together with the Dev Team.

Here at WMD the Gamers do funding the Game, and decide together with the Dev Team how the Game should be.
Also the Gamers do testing the Game and give Feedback.

So you can assure that the Game will be like it was designed from the Gamers itself.

It has many Pro's for both Teams the Gamers and the Development Team...

The Toolspacks was different Options how you could participate at this Development Process...

Thank you for the explanation. What were the different toolpacks like? I did not know about the game until last year, and did not get in on WMD in time. Can I still provide feedback?

BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment is listed on the Steam store page. I thought they published the game and SMS developed it. So WMD is part of SMS?

Siberian Tiger
09-05-2015, 18:41
Yes WMD is created by SMS...
Namco Bandai is our Distributor and also a tiny bit Publisher...

Interchangeable
09-05-2015, 18:42
Also it was kinda great for bug finding, because thousands of eyes see more than a few dozens. Unless you're Ubisoft were all of them are blind! :beguiled:

flyoffacliff
09-05-2015, 18:43
Hi,

WMD or World Mass Development is the forum for the original backers of the game (people like me, with the yellow name badge) and the staff of SMS.

Toolpacks relate to the level of access each member had during the development stage of the game:

Junior (Update once a month)
Team Memeber ( Once a week)
Full manager, not sure what if that was it was called (Once every few days)
Senior Manager (Every day)

How often did people you pre-ordered get updates?

Interchangeable
09-05-2015, 18:44
How often did people you pre-ordered get updates? That depended on what toolpack they were.

flyoffacliff
09-05-2015, 18:49
That depended on what toolpack they were.

Would if I preorded on Steam a month ago. Long after WMD closed, but before the game release? I didn't think there were toolpacks at this point.

Siberian Tiger
09-05-2015, 18:52
No, WMD (in it's current form) was closed a year and a half ago.
Because with Problems with the FSA. Financial Ageny in UK.
They had some things they don't like...

But WMD will continue in whatever form it will be...

Joven
09-05-2015, 18:54
Thank you for the explanation. What were the different toolpacks like? I did not know about the game until last year, and did not get in on WMD in time. Can I still provide feedback?

BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment is listed on the Steam store page. I thought they published the game and SMS developed it. So WMD is part of SMS?

Bandai Namco is the distributor, not publisher, they were contracted by SMS to handle the retail management and promotions, more or less.

The different tool packs determined how often you received test builds (monthly, weekly, bi-weekly, daily), and some perks (such as having your name in the game, so any AI you race isn't a randomly generated name, its a person who was a team member or above), and also what you got in the end (juniors and team members got discounts on the game when it released, full members and above got a copy of the game). And how much in profits they get back (its all the same dollar for dollar, so if someone for some reason bought 10 junior packs at 10euros each, theyd get the same back as someone who got 1 senior level for 100euros, so its just a matter of how many dollars you put in.)

Most the perks were for pre-release, so as it stands now WMD members are essentially equal with anyone else who just bought the game, except we get a cut of the profits the game makes, and we get snazzy yellow names on these boards.

Would if I preorded on Steam a month ago. Long after WMD closed, but before the game release? I didn't think there were toolpacks at this point.
WMD wasn't for pre-ordering, at that point you would have been just a regular customer.

Invincible
09-05-2015, 18:55
Full members got one update per week in the beginning, after it hit steam, we got daily updates.

flyoffacliff
09-05-2015, 19:01
Okay, thank you everyone.