PDA

View Full Version : SLI discussion thread

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Cuba
26-05-2015, 16:06
That's very true and correct :)

Form my experience, here are some things that make GPU usage non-uniform / uneven in dual SLI enabled setups in particular, so in order of likelihood for pCARS:

1. Overheating of top card causing throttling of GPU speed/voltage, usually from transference of temp from bottom card (8°C to 12°C above the bottom card which is normal behaviour when 'on air cooling' as heat rises naturally) - can cause SLI to disengage in flight.
2. Breach of GPU's theoretical TDP causing the Graphics card to panic and induce throttling of GPU speed/voltage, this only needs to happen for a fraction of a second before fail-safe is brought in and can cause SLI to disengage in flight.
3. No SLI profile in drivers (there has been for a few months now, so unless you are on really old drivers or 'dirty install of drivers, should not be an issue) - SLI will not be engaged at all.
4. No in-game support for multiple GPU (usually responsibility lies between game devs and graphics driver elements) - SLI will not be engaged at all.

vSync and frame limiters can cause low GPU usage (as they should), but this will show as a uniform drop across both cards normally, unless one of the above is in play.

For example, in the case of @jrp's screenshot, it looks to me like the max TDP may have been breached and GPU2 has gone in to fail safe mode as the GPU2 speed has removed the OC and gone to stock and Voltage has dropped to stock too. In reality, when cooling is not the problem, this is the #1 cause for poor performance on SLI and is misunderstood greatly. TDP is not how hot the GPU is, but how much power (volts x amps) it can take in theory and how much cooling would need to be applied to keep it there. It's a limit written in to the firmware to protect the GPU's circuitry by the designers. It can of course be overwritten with a custom BIOS which can increase the TDP and therefore the GPU will not throttle so early.

Hope this helps.
Thanks MrPix, I'll bet it's #2 causing the issue for me. Now I need to find a fix...I'll start with the Nvidia driver, I thought Nvidia pushed an update last week right around the time my problems FPS problems began. Any advice appreciated.

MrPix
26-05-2015, 16:11
Thanks MrPix, I'll bet it's #2 causing the issue for me. Now I need to find a fix...I'll start with the Nvidia driver, I thought Nvidia pushed an update last week right around the time my problems FPS problems began. Any advice appreciated.You could be on to something. The TDP limit is in firmware (BIOS)... how it is used for throttling is in the driver (what to do) and the firmware (when to do it).

Most likely though, its the rise in ambient temps outside that are having an effect ;) (My science teacher blamed every failed experiment on the weather and looking back over 50 years, he may have been on to something too)

FlyingScotsmanSK
26-05-2015, 17:08
No sorry, I don't work for SMS. I'm just a bod like you trying to help explain things.

As long as you are not using any form of vSync in game or outside of it, and you are giving the GPUs something to work on, they should be flying at 85-99% all the time... providing they are not being throttled.

Before I started to log all my GPU stats and usage, back in the day when I had SLI, I thought it was the game to blame all the while... whatever the game was... all the older games never had the issues... just the new ones!

Once I started to analyse the logs, I found tiny instances where the Thermal trip had been switched (prior to going sub aqua) or the TDP had been breached thus causing throttling. If the 'blip' is big enough it can affect both cards.... but if you are on air then the top card usually gets blipped first as it is already a lot hotter so the TDP limit is a lot closer to breach.. under water however, it's usually both cards that get throttled. If the thermal trip is intact then the throttling may sometimes be very temporary, but the throttling remains on in most cases. Of course, if you alt tab out and back in again, then the GPUs switch to 2D mode and back to 3D mode and the trip is reset, and performance climbs until it is tripped again.

Project Cars is a very demanding game indeed and can cause the GPUs to work very hard when coming round a corner to be met with the stadium and the pit lane and the pit wall and with crowds and and and... and all of a sudden the demand to render the objects rockets... this can be the moment when the TDP is tripped.

I know it sounds like I am obsessed with TDP, but since the 580's I had in SLI, it has always been the issue. Once I have added a custom BIOS (I have been under water since I got 2 580's and the top card kept hitting the thermal trip) and upped the TDP out of the way as I know I won't hit any thermal barriers in practice (I'm under water), so why should I have them imposed on me in theory (firmware).. The cards remain at the clocks and voltages I put them at when under load.

Don't forget, TDP is not what the card is actually doing in practice, it's a theoretical limit: Temp & Power Draw (voltage/current) and theoretical cooling in a equation. When overclocking, the voltage usually is increased and also the current used will be too so it will be a greater multiplier against the theoretical cooling temperature thus hitting the TDP limit faster. If the TDP limit is upped, then most likely will not be reached so easily.

Thanks for the reply, but my cards are not hitting TDP, i've both cards flashed with custom bios and under water never reaching 50 Dec C.
So I know that this is not the issue, its a software problem as alt/tab corrects it most of the time.

Kev

Cuba
26-05-2015, 17:14
Thanks for the reply, but my cards are not hitting TDP, i've both cards flashed with custom bios and under water never reaching 50 Dec C.
So I know that this is not the issue, its a software problem as alt/tab corrects it most of the time.

Kev
Are both your cards running at the same performance? I have one running at 95% and the other at 25%; that's what started the TDP talk. Reason I ask is because I'd rather not mess with BIOs if I can avoid it. Thanks

Edit: Never mind, I see in an earlier post that you state that the cards should be running the same, so I assume yours are.

FlyingScotsmanSK
26-05-2015, 19:45
Are both your cards running at the same performance? I have one running at 95% and the other at 25%; that's what started the TDP talk. Reason I ask is because I'd rather not mess with BIOs if I can avoid it. Thanks

Edit: Never mind, I see in an earlier post that you state that the cards should be running the same, so I assume yours are.

Yes Cuba, both are the same % of usage, start off 90-99% then for no reason drop to 40-50% usage with half the required FPS.
Is anyone else running a 4K Gsync monitor?
Wonder if that's got anything to do with it?

Kev

rbl
26-05-2015, 20:29
Just a wild idea, but can you guys try to switch your windows power plan to "high performance"?
It seemed to help another user who struggled to reach full utilization. (although not related to SLI)

FlyingScotsmanSK
26-05-2015, 20:38
Just a wild idea, but can you guys try to switch your windows power plan to "high performance"?
It seemed to help another user who struggled to reach full utilization. (although not related to SLI)
Hi rbl

Yes my windows power plan is always set to full scud mate!!! (high performance)
Even tried forcing it in the nvidia driver via inspector "power management mode", no difference.

Kev

FlyingScotsmanSK
27-05-2015, 07:00
bump

Ripgroove
27-05-2015, 07:11
I really hope this gets fixed soon as sitting here with 2x 780ti SuperClocked's seeing FPS dips to below 60 and watching my GPU usage sit at around 40-60% is just plain depressing. Having spare GPU power and a game that is underperforming is just not right at all.

FlyingScotsmanSK
27-05-2015, 07:48
I really hope this gets fixed soon as sitting here with 2x 780ti SuperClocked's seeing FPS dips to below 60 and watching my GPU usage sit at around 40-60% is just plain depressing. Having spare GPU power and a game that is underperforming is just not right at all.

Totally feel you mate, It does not seem to be a major priority with WMD, not had one dev on here helping.

Ripgroove
27-05-2015, 09:04
Totally feel you mate, It does not seem to be a major priority with WMD, not had one dev on here helping.
I know, it would handy if someone stepped in and either told us they were aware of it and are working on it or confirmed that there was no issue on their end and offered some fixes we could try our end.

FlyingScotsmanSK
27-05-2015, 12:17
I know, it would handy if someone stepped in and either told us they were aware of it and are working on it or confirmed that there was no issue on their end and offered some fixes we could try our end.

Keep bumping this thread till we get some acknowledgement from WMD about this issue.

Bealdor
27-05-2015, 12:23
Keep bumping this thread till we get some acknowledgement from WMD about this issue.

Please don't. I can assure you that the devs are well aware of the SLI issues.

You're welcome to post anything that helps to solve these problems of course. :)

PzR Slim
27-05-2015, 12:26

Interesting. I've got very similar specs to you and I get over 100 fps all the time. What graphics settings are you using?

Jeremy Clarkson
27-05-2015, 16:54
Please don't. I can assure you that the devs are well aware of the SLI issues.

You're welcome to post anything that helps to solve these problems of course. :)

If the devs are well aware of this issue, then why not link and mention this thread in the "Known issues collective thread" to give us some solid reassurance that it's being looked at. After all the the known issues thread is "To keep an good overview for the users and developers over the issues that have been reported."

It just seem's this issue is being left hidden.. We're coming up to 3 weeks now and yet we have heard nothing from the devs, or nothing posted about this in the known issues thread. Talk about being left in the dark

FlyingScotsmanSK
27-05-2015, 17:40
If the devs are well aware of this issue, then why not link and mention this thread in the "Known issues collective thread" to give us some solid reassurance that it's being looked at. After all the the known issues thread is "To keep an good overview for the users and developers over the issues that have been reported."

It just seem's this issue is being left hidden.. We're coming up to 3 weeks now and yet we have heard nothing from the devs, or nothing posted about this in the known issues thread. Talk about being left in the dark

Hi Jeremy,

Yes this should be in the known issues thread, I posted about it in there today but still no response.

Kev

Elmo
27-05-2015, 19:47
Hi Jeremy,

Yes this should be in the known issues thread, I posted about it in there today but still no response.

Kev

I've been away for a few days, hence those threads got no love. Just updating them and will make sure to link the thread.

ezerivas
27-05-2015, 21:52
I hope the devs can fix this

JorgeANeto
27-05-2015, 21:58
I got more FPS with one GTX 980 than two GTX 980. More smooth gameplay too.

But I think there's not pCars fault. It's a SLI fault. There's not only a single racing game that I can see any benefits with SLI. All of them (and I have basicly all racing simulators) run better with a single GPU card.

SLI was an amazing marketing play of nVidia, but the results in real life are pathetic.

funknerraw
27-05-2015, 23:14

But I think there's not pCars fault. It's a SLI fault. There's not only a single racing game that I can see any benefits with SLI. All of them (and I have basicly all racing simulators) run better with a single GPU card.

SLI was an amazing marketing play of nVidia, but the results in real life are pathetic.

Is that with triple monitors though? I find running at 6110 x 1080 I need the extra SLI horsepower to keep a good framerate. With just a single monitor (unless its 4k) it probably wouldn't make much of a difference.

FlyingScotsmanSK
28-05-2015, 07:33
I've been away for a few days, hence those threads got no love. Just updating them and will make sure to link the thread.

Hi Elmo,

Thanks for the update, keep us posted on any developments.

Kev

Ripgroove
28-05-2015, 13:47
It might be worth adding the exact conditions (track, car, number of cars etc etc) when you are seeing low GPU usage as I've just experienced the following:

Mercedes 190/Hockenheim/Time Trial/Clear Weather - 95% usage on both GPU's the whole time (constant 60FPS Vsync)

BUT

Any car/Le Man's/Race Weekend/Thunderstorms/20 opponents - 50-60% fluctuating usage on both GPU's (frame drops to 40FPS when near any opponent cars)

Ripgroove
28-05-2015, 13:48
Interesting. I've got very similar specs to you and I get over 100 fps all the time. What graphics settings are you using?

My settings are below, what settings are you using?

4L0M
28-05-2015, 13:55

I run 2 x MSI 970 G4 GTX in SLI with an overclocked I7 4770k. SLI runs smooth as silk for me and I definitely get higher framerates.

N0body Of The Goat
28-05-2015, 14:00
Having randomly re-installed Shift 2 the other day, I noticed a trend where general % GPU use rises/drops on the same tracks in pCARS and Shift2.

For example, Nordschleife gives excellent GPU use in both titles on my pc, Spa not so good.

ezerivas
28-05-2015, 19:10
which tool i need to view the % of use of each gpu?

N0body Of The Goat
28-05-2015, 19:12

MSI Afterburner does this, no doubt one of many.

FlyingScotsmanSK
29-05-2015, 12:46

Yes riva-tuner is the stats software server which is included in Afterburner

Kev

SpaceGhost1911
31-05-2015, 01:49
Again, I haven't read through the whole post, but I have finally gotten my SLI setup to get fully utilized (91-95%). I have locked my frame rate to Adaptive V-Sync and I stay at a constant 60fps and the game play is VERY smoth. It does drop some in some points on Brands Hatch, but I attribute that to the track optimizations that yet need to be worked on. However, in the rain... FPS takes a major hit... BUT.. My video cards are only working at about 40-50% in the rain, so obviously there is going to be a FPS hit. Is anyone else noticing that in the rain BOTH video card usage and FPS drops? So it seems that the rain isn't really taxing the video cards, it seems that is it just not utilizing them.

ezerivas
31-05-2015, 06:38
Again, I haven't read through the whole post, but I have finally gotten my SLI setup to get fully utilized (91-95%). I have locked my frame rate to Adaptive V-Sync and I stay at a constant 60fps and the game play is VERY smoth. It does drop some in some points on Brands Hatch, but I attribute that to the track optimizations that yet need to be worked on. However, in the rain... FPS takes a major hit... BUT.. My video cards are only working at about 40-50% in the rain, so obviously there is going to be a FPS hit. Is anyone else noticing that in the rain BOTH video card usage and FPS drops? So it seems that the rain isn't really taxing the video cards, it seems that is it just not utilizing them.
I noticed the same thing, the cards using half power

Ripgroove
31-05-2015, 06:42
Again, I haven't read through the whole post, but I have finally gotten my SLI setup to get fully utilized (91-95%). I have locked my frame rate to Adaptive V-Sync and I stay at a constant 60fps and the game play is VERY smoth. It does drop some in some points on Brands Hatch, but I attribute that to the track optimizations that yet need to be worked on. However, in the rain... FPS takes a major hit... BUT.. My video cards are only working at about 40-50% in the rain, so obviously there is going to be a FPS hit. Is anyone else noticing that in the rain BOTH video card usage and FPS drops? So it seems that the rain isn't really taxing the video cards, it seems that is it just not utilising them.
I thought this was the issue most people are already experiencing? Nothing new TBH.

SpaceGhost1911
31-05-2015, 07:08
I thought this was the issue most people are already experiencing? Nothing new TBH.

Well, I hadn't seen where people are getting full usage in dry, but only half usage in wet. I had just seen where people were having issues with not getting full usage in SLI all the time.

Ripgroove
31-05-2015, 07:18
Well, I hadn't seen where people are getting full usage in dry, but only half usage in wet. I had just seen where people were having issues with not getting full usage in SLI all the time.

I get full usage on most tracks in the dry but 50-60% usage in the rain/thunder.

Ripgroove
02-06-2015, 15:05
Have we had an actual "game ready" Nvidia driver yet for PCars?

funknerraw
02-06-2015, 16:58
Have we had an actual "game ready" Nvidia driver yet for PCars?

Yeah, it actually came out before PCars was live but still in development for the WMD members. There hasn't been another official one that specifically mentioned PCars since the game went live.

Ripgroove
02-06-2015, 17:12
Yeah, it actually came out before PCars was live but still in development for the WMD members. There hasn't been another official one that specifically mentioned PCars since the game went live.

Oh well hopefully we'll get one soon then.

ezerivas
03-06-2015, 01:07
no improves in the next upgrade for sli profiles..... http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?29158-Project-CARS-All-Platforms-Upcoming-Patch-1-4-Release-notes

FlyingScotsmanSK
07-06-2015, 04:25
no improves in the next upgrade for sli profiles..... http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?29158-Project-CARS-All-Platforms-Upcoming-Patch-1-4-Release-notes

BUMP¬

ezerivas
08-06-2015, 05:40
any news?

BioForce
08-06-2015, 05:53
I recently updated to the 350 driver and I am not pleased with it. Lots of stuttering but high framerates 70-120 fps.

Now I reverted to my good old 347 driver and everything is running smoothly again.

LeRenard242
08-06-2015, 14:04
they should really take a look at it.. sli's here aren't being maxed out :(

Bealdor
08-06-2015, 14:06
they should really take a look at it.. sli's here aren't being maxed out :(

They do.

Aldo Zampatti
09-06-2015, 20:23
They do.

They are :P

imagamejunky
10-06-2015, 05:58
I didn't want to read all 27 pages of this thread so I don't know if this has already been mentioned.
Those of you running SLI and precision x may want to try this. It helped me. Disable kboost and then disable SLI in nvidia cp. restart. enable kboost. THEN enable SLI. Restart. Doing this absolutely helped with stuttering for me.
Hope this helps.
Junky

BioForce
10-06-2015, 06:26
Cool, thx! Will it run only on evga cards?

imagamejunky
10-06-2015, 06:30
No. You can use precision x with other nvidia cards

Michael Moe
11-06-2015, 09:49
So i just bought the 970´s over 1 x GTX780SC.

Dont know how much of an improvement i should get but at least 30-50% in 1080P?

Driver is 353.06

Michael Moe

Ripgroove
11-06-2015, 14:25

Driver is 353.06

Michael Moe

Correct me if I'm wrong but technically isn't an *80 GPU better than a *70? So apart from newer architecture I don't think it'll be a massive improvement.

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-970-vs-GeForce-GTX-780

Unless the 970 has more VRAM than your current 780, if so that might help.

Also some info here: http://forums.evga.com/m/tm.aspx?m=2221567&p=1

N0body Of The Goat
11-06-2015, 14:29

Driver is 353.06

Michael Moe

Nothing like 30-50%, IF you believe this test result...
http://nl.hardware.info/reviews/6117/3/project-cars-review-getest-met-24-gpus-testresultaten-full-hd-1920x1080

JeyD02
11-06-2015, 14:32
Use Nvidia inspector custom PCars profile and see how it improves it.

Ripgroove
11-06-2015, 14:50
http://nl.hardware.info/reviews/6117/3/project-cars-review-getest-met-24-gpus-testresultaten-full-hd-1920x1080

Wow the 980ti is performing better the the Titan X in Pcars! I want one of these GPU's but torn between the two currently. Looks like the smart money goes on the 780ti.

Michael Moe
11-06-2015, 15:01

Well this test it shows 17-30 % increase with the GTX970, but nothing about in SLI . Thats why i suspect 50% when using 2 GTX970 over one GTX780.

BTW my GPU usage in Processexplorer says 35-40% GPU1 and 2% on GPU 2 even when SLI selected in NI Control panel and 353.06 driver installed

THanks
Michael Moe

MrPix
11-06-2015, 15:14
Wow the 980ti is performing better the the Titan X in Pcars! I want one of these GPU's but torn between the two currently. Looks like the smart money goes on the 780ti.depends on the detail quality and level and the resolution to be fair. On the old technology like 1080p both are a tad overkill, but with triple 1080p screens or 4k they excel.

MrPix
11-06-2015, 15:18
Well this test it shows 17-30 % increase with the GTX970, but nothing about in SLI . Thats why i suspect 50% when using 2 GTX970 over one GTX780.

BTW my GPU usage in Processexplorer says 35-40% GPU1 and 2% on GPU 2 even when SLI selected in NI Control panel and 353.06 driver installed

THanks
Michael MoeMichael. Would need more info to assist. Please add your system specs to your siggy.

Ripgroove
11-06-2015, 15:31
depends on the detail quality and level and the resolution to be fair. On the old technology like 1080p both are a tad overkill, but with triple 1080p screens or 4k they excel.
Only reason I'm thinking about for 1080p is the fact my SLI 780ti SC dip to 40fps with 20+cars and rain, whether that's down to the low SLI usage or the 3GB VRAM I don't know but either way a single 780ti or Titan X should solve that, plus who knows when I might decide to get a 4k display.

Michael Moe
11-06-2015, 15:47
Okay something nice has come buy.

I have disabled my HT=on @4,4GHZ i7-4770K and gone back to my P3D HT=off I7-4770K@4,6 and now i am seeing 78/82% GPU usage in Precision X

The performance is a this:

20 cars on Monza in rain QUALF at 1700Z date 10.06.2015 and i see about 75-85fps outside and 90-92fps inside VC

So HT off helped me alot . Dont know why

Settings is pretty much Ultra except grass and AA

Thanks
Michael Moe

Ripgroove
11-06-2015, 16:11
Okay something nice has come buy.

I have disabled my HT=on @4,4GHZ i7-4770K and gone back to my P3D HT=off I7-4770K@4,6 and now i am seeing 78/82% GPU usage in Precision X

The performance is a this:

20 cars on Monza in rain QUALF at 1700Z date 10.06.2015 and i see about 75-85fps outside and 90-92fps inside VC

So HT off helped me alot . Dont know why

Settings is pretty much Ultra except grass and AA

Thanks
Michael Moewhere did you turn HT off, nvidia control panel?

MrPix
11-06-2015, 16:18
HT (Hyperthreading) if available on the CPU (Note.. not a GPU feature) can be disabled in the motherboard BIOS.

Ripgroove
11-06-2015, 16:36
HT (Hyperthreading) if available on the CPU (Note.. not a GPU feature) can be disabled in the motherboard BIOS.

Ooh, will have a look.

Michael Moe
12-06-2015, 16:15
Just a heads up after my switch frome a single 780SC to SLI970SC.

Increase in fps is about 25-45 percent(ht off). With a single GTX970 i only see 5% increase
Driver is latest 353.06

Overall i am in heaven

Michael Moe

Airplanek8
12-06-2015, 23:21
Jeremy Clarkson is right on target.

I had upgraded to a 980Ti SLI set up only to crash into the same performance wall. My SLI setup works wonders on any other game in 4K without a flaw. GTAV being one of them.

My settings are: 4K, All settings at maximum possible with AA OFF and SMAA OFF. (i5 4670K at stable 4.6Ghz, 16GB RAM, Dual GTX 980Ti SC, SSD and 1200w PSU).

When I disable SLI, the single GPU usage goes up but does not achieve maximum usage below 60FPS. If I disable Vsync, nothing changes.

Below I have attached 4 images which show the following:

1. Single GPU with 30 opponent cars in view.
2. Single GPU with no cars in view (Notice the usage increase with the cars out of the picture. Shouldn't it be the other way around?).
3. 2-Way SLI GPUs with 30 opponent cars in view.
4. 2-Way SLI GPUs with 30 opponent cars in view (Same note as item # 2).

PC SPECS: i5 4670k @ 4.6GHz (NB @ 4.4 GHz) Water-Cooled | 2-Way SLI EVGA 980Ti @ 1291MHz | 16GB Corsair @ 1866Mhz | ASUS Maximus VI Hero | Win 8.1, 64bit | 512 SSD Corsair Neutron | Corsair 1200AX |

MrPix
13-06-2015, 00:16
Jeremy Clarkson is right on target.

I had upgraded to a 980Ti SLI set up only to crash into the same performance wall. My SLI setup works wonders on any other game in 4K without a flaw. GTAV being one of them.

My settings are: 4K, All settings at maximum possible with AA OFF and SMAA OFF. (i5 4670K at stable 4.6Ghz, 16GB RAM, Dual GTX 980Ti SC, SSD and 1200w PSU).

When I disable SLI, the single GPU usage goes up but does not achieve maximum usage below 60FPS. If I disable Vsync, nothing changes.

Below I have attached 4 images which show the following (Just noticed the images look like crap. I will update soon)...

1. Single GPU with 30 opponent cars in view.
2. Single GPU with no cars in view (Notice the usage increase with the cars out of the picture. Shouldn't it be the other way around?).
3. 2-Way SLI GPUs with 30 opponent cars in view.
4. 2-Way SLI GPUs with 30 opponent cars in view (Same note as item # 2).

No matter what I do... I can't read the red writing on those images man... spell it out please... this forum seem to resize the pictures... OR you have downsized them before uploading... whichever.. the red writing is illegible.

Airplanek8
13-06-2015, 00:40
Fixed it as best as I could and had to place them in pairs. Any other combination didn't work. Each performance info. image above, belongs to the graphical image below.

Let me know if this is clear, I really couldn't make these 4K images fit in any format without making it completely illegible.

TheIronWolf
13-06-2015, 04:52
I just added anotther HD6990 to my setup and I get utilization of 42-50% per core on all 4 GPUs. With just one card (2 GPUs) load is ~97% per core. So, no FPS boost, which makes sense as 4 x 4x%close to 2 x 9x% - the only benefit is that quadfire is much smoother.

Well, we know that AMD has driver issues with pCars and my cards are old, so I have very low expectations. However, here's what bothers me.

Sometimes, I do not know what happens, but I launch game and load is ~65% per GPU. That gives huge FPS boost. Same settings everywhere, I change nothing, but load is, sometimes, higher. There's something strange going on with load balancing here. I tried various settings etc, no luck, I noticed no pattern so far. It is not heat issue, not CPU bottleneck. Another interesting thing; lowering settings reduces GPU load. Also, GPU load drops in rain - just as others reported.

MrPix
13-06-2015, 10:06
Fixed it as best as I could and had to place them in pairs. Any other combination didn't work. Each performance info. image above, belongs to the graphical image below.

Let me know if this is clear, I really couldn't make these 4K images fit in any format without making it completely illegible.Now all we need is your PC specs in your signature and we can start to see the bigger picture, but from what I am seeing, it looks like a CPU/system bottleneck to me.

To your note on point 2 and 4.... with more cars, more physics are required to be calculated, so the load is heavier on the CPU... which as you can see, the CPU usage stays the same (which as an average of ~77% is practically flat out despite not being 99% on each core, the system appears to have other components that limit the CPU going above ~77% average so it seems (this is quite common), but the GPU usage goes up as the CPU calculations are less so are provided at a greater rate, so the consequence is that you see greater GPU usage because the frames can be drawn faster.

Please do add your full system specs to your signature so the full picture is available.

Airplanek8
15-06-2015, 00:02
Don't know why SLI is broken for some of you. Works perfectly for me with the latest NVIDIA drivers 350.12

I made a video earlier today and you can clearly see both cards are getting above 90% utalized.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKveTI-BKlk

This is insane. I can't even run greater than 40FPS with two 980 Ti cards. I'm going to go back to those specific drivers to see if it improves my GPU usage for now. Unfortunately it if does, it will destroy my stability in GTA V and NVIDIA needs to get these driver under control.

Airplanek8
15-06-2015, 00:09
Now all we need is your PC specs in your signature and we can start to see the bigger picture, but from what I am seeing, it looks like a CPU/system bottleneck to me.

To your note on point 2 and 4.... with more cars, more physics are required to be calculated, so the load is heavier on the CPU... which as you can see, the CPU usage stays the same (which as an average of ~77% is practically flat out despite not being 99% on each core, the system appears to have other components that limit the CPU going above ~77% average so it seems (this is quite common), but the GPU usage goes up as the CPU calculations are less so are provided at a greater rate, so the consequence is that you see greater GPU usage because the frames can be drawn faster.

Please do add your full system specs to your signature so the full picture is available.

Thanks for the advice, MrPix. I have added my specs. However, I don't believe my system is being bottlenecked. I will be downgrading drivers to 350.12 as there seem to be some gpu usage improvements and will report back.

sneakygloworm
15-06-2015, 00:49
This is insane. I can't even run greater than 40FPS with two 980 Ti cards. I'm going to go back to those specific drivers to see if it improves my GPU usage for now. Unfortunately it if does, it will destroy my stability in GTA V and NVIDIA needs to get these driver under control.

Great setup but just as an experiment, pull a card and try again. SLI/xfire isn't as great as i'd thought it was going to be. I was horrified when my last card died in sli and i only dropped a couple of FPS. 20% perf boost and no shared memory is a bad marketing ploy. I know this is a cynical post but nVidia and AMD should market cards with a slave system and less money. I have an AMD 1090T and an 1 old gtx 460 and apart from raindrops on the camera i'm averaging 30+ fps. Might not be awesome at the moment but it does show what an old cpu and an ancient gpu are capable of. Most of the visual settings give negligible results at ultra or high, so it's worth experimenting.

Ghost_rider
15-06-2015, 02:26
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?30979-Stuttering&p=991629#post991629

Airplanek8
15-06-2015, 22:22
Unfortunately, I was unable to downgrade the drivers since the only driver that works with the GTX 980 Ti at the moment is 353.06. Anything else is incompatible. However, I have been participating on a lot of forums and there is an excessive number of people running excellent FPS (Above 60FPS in the rain with 15+ cars, roughly the same graphical settings) with the GTX 780 and 780Ti and 4670K and 4690K processors. Also most of these users are running less than 16GB of RAM. The idea that these might be bottleneck issues seems less and less the more I research around forums and discuss the problem with the peers. There's no way two GTX 980 Tis can truthfully perform with less than 40FPS in the same conditions.

This person is running just one GTX 980 Ti and a "stronger", lower clocked 4790K (4.0GHz) and look at his performance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=10&v=bGuCudzpvCA

Airplanek8
15-06-2015, 22:31
I'm still trying to figure out whether it's the game or the drivers but this game is definitely underperforming on the GTX 980Ti. I have two of them and I cannot get them to operate at a minimum of 60FPS during rain and 25 cars. the GPU usage stays below 50% without maxing out the CPU cores. GTAV nearly maxes out my CPU but both cards run at 100% usage when they need to maintain 60FPS and the settings are as max as they can go in 4K resolution.

Take a look at this thread if you're also using SLI:

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?22928-Terrible-SLI-Gtx760-GPU-usage/page29

JeyD02
15-06-2015, 22:37
Have you ppl being using Nvidia inspector profile?

Airplanek8
16-06-2015, 00:35
I just received this screen from a user with the following computer hardware. Note the GPU usage and 67FPS:

i5 4690K @4.7GHz
ASUS Z97-AR
Noctua NH-D14
2x4GB G.SKILL Sniper 1833 CL9
EVGA GTX 970 SSC 2.0+ SLI @1251/7552 core/mem
Dell U2713HM 1440p

He is working on providing me with a video. Also, besides the point of poor GTX 980Ti and SLI performance, take a look at the rearview mirror. It's dry! lol. Is this a glitch or intended that way? I haven't noticed this before, but again I'm not doing much playing at 30 FPS. Gives me headaches.

Mahjik
16-06-2015, 02:21
Merged threads..

Airplanek8
17-06-2015, 00:38
I have added my 3DMark Score to my signature just in case this might be useful regarding the SLI performance on the GTX 980Ti.

gpk99
17-06-2015, 01:13
what about your motherboard BIOS?..has it been updated to the latest version and also your SYSTEM drivers....have they been updated at all?.....

Airplanek8
17-06-2015, 01:53
what about your motherboard BIOS?..has it been updated to the latest version and also your SYSTEM drivers....have they been updated at all?.....

I check my GPU drivers daily, my BIOS and rest of the system like the chipset and peripheral firmware weekly. Especially if I'm going to run high over clocks. Yes, I've been doing this for the past 10 years or so. Same with the software. In the case of the GPU, there is only one driver compatible with the GTX 980Ti at the moment, if you're wondering.

BioForce
17-06-2015, 04:43
Have you reset your graphicsconfig.xml? Just delete it in your documents project cars folder.
You may also give evga's precision X a try for your sli setup.
Sometimes the bridge is faulty. Try another one if you can.

gpk99
17-06-2015, 05:40
it's brand new...duhhhh

Airplanek8
17-06-2015, 18:13
Have you reset your graphicsconfig.xml? Just delete it in your documents project cars folder.
You may also give evga's precision X a try for your sli setup.
Sometimes the bridge is faulty. Try another one if you can.

It's not the bridge. Look at the 3dmark scores. Every other game like Witcher, GTAV, Crysis and Metro run flawlessly on SLI and removing a card definitely makes a difference. I deleted the graphicsconfig.xml when I installed the new cards and verified the integrity of the files through steam. In regards to EVGA precision, I used it for a long time until it started displaying the wrong FPS. The software is primitive. No need for Precision X when I can use MSI afterburner. It's not the PC.

Airplanek8
17-06-2015, 18:13
it's brand new...duhhhh

Good job.

Jeremy Clarkson
17-06-2015, 19:10
This is issue nothing other than sh!t optimisation - sli works for some and does not for others.

rauf0
17-06-2015, 19:15
No problemos here, HIGH + Car in ULTRA, beautifully scaling, 30+ cars on Spa in rain on 3xFHD, 85-110 fps cap to 91, however im with custom bios, stock as usual is underperformed.
i7 4770K 4.5Ghz (im just switching to X99)

Michael Moe
17-06-2015, 20:43
I am very pleased with sli now in 1920X1200 .in vsync.everything on ultra .grass and blur low and smaa on medium and 45-60 fps in rain in lemans 20 cars.
Michael

Airplanek8
17-06-2015, 20:44
No problemos here, HIGH + Car in ULTRA, beautifully scaling, 30+ cars on Spa in rain on 3xFHD, 85-110 fps cap to 91, however im with custom bios, stock as usual is underperformed.
i7 4770K 4.5Ghz (im just switching to X99)

Like Jeremy said. Works for some. Clearly not all card models work as they should and it should be addressed. It's the reason some of us are trying to provide constructive data.

Airplanek8
17-06-2015, 20:47
I am very pleased with sli now in 1920X1200 .in vsync.everything on ultra .grass and blur low and smaa on medium and 45-60 fps in rain in lemans 20 cars.
Michael

Good for you, Michael.

Airplanek8
17-06-2015, 20:50
This is issue nothing other than sh!t optimisation - sli works for some and does not for others.

Couldn't agree more. I've already met more than 50 people with this issue. All of them with last gen i7s running in the 4Ghz ranges. Clearly not a bottleneck.

SMS PC Lead
17-06-2015, 23:03
Couldn't agree more. I've already met more than 50 people with this issue. All of them with last gen i7s running in the 4Ghz ranges. Clearly not a bottleneck.

You can rule out the CPU being a bottleneck with SLI by adding the launch options "-skipcrowds -dx11mt". Compare the GPU utilization before and after using these options!

Airplanek8
17-06-2015, 23:45
You can rule out the CPU being a bottleneck with SLI by adding the launch options "-skipcrowds -dx11mt". Compare the GPU utilization before and after using these options!

SMS PC Lead, thank you for your reply. Where would I add these? Also, what effect would this have on the graphical settings of the game? Will anything look different?

Thank you! I will proceed to do so upon reply.

SMS PC Lead
17-06-2015, 23:52
SMS PC Lead, thank you for your reply. Where would I add these? Also, what effect would this have on the graphical settings of the game? Will anything look different?

Thank you! I will proceed to do so upon reply.

Assuming you are using the digital Steam version:

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=5623-QOSV-5250

-skipcrowds reduces small draw calls for the animated / track-side characters and grand-stand crowds.
-dx11mt enables more render threading to improve CPU performance : this will help your highly over-clocked 4670k @ 4.6 ghz if you are actually CPU bound.

gpk99
18-06-2015, 00:36
are you guys running the SLI thru the HDMI slot on the rear of your cards? It used to be called mini-HDMI....i'm just curious in asking

Airplanek8
18-06-2015, 03:52
Assuming you are using the digital Steam version:

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=5623-QOSV-5250

-skipcrowds reduces small draw calls for the animated / track-side characters and grand-stand crowds.
-dx11mt enables more render threading to improve CPU performance : this will help your highly over-clocked 4670k @ 4.6 ghz if you are actually CPU bound.

Pardon my ignorance on computer science and I really appreciate your help but if this command (-skipcrowds) is going to remove or reduce the amount of crowds on the stands, I don't really want to do so. If this were my goal, I would lower the settings which still doesn't make a difference when I do in this particular game as the graphics cards continue to be underused. In addition, I'm still not clear about how -dx11mt affects the game. I don't want to apply temporary fixes which hurt the overall game graphics just to fix a performance issue that's not on my part. In advance, I promise you I'm not trying to be rude. I'm frustrated with the situation, not with anyone here.

UPDATE: I tried -dx11mt and my GPUs still performed at 45 to 55% and my frames remained between 30 and 40FPS. So does my GPU usage (40 to 50%).

Airplanek8
18-06-2015, 03:54
are you guys running the SLI thru the HDMI slot on the rear of your cards? It used to be called mini-HDMI....i'm just curious in asking

Yes Sir, The 980Tis only have the HDMI and DisplayPort connectors. I am using this cable to connect to the monitor (just one monitor): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16886929044

TheIronWolf
18-06-2015, 04:13
Thanks for sharing this hint. I tried it on my setup (2xHD6990) and all 4 GPUs stayed utilized below 50%. So, something else is limiting full utilization in my case.
BTW: excellent scaling with just 2 GPUs in my case.

Edit: "Below 50%" applies to Hockenheim, Nurburgring, Brno. Just had race at Spa: up to 65% and great FPS (and heat :D) So, that also varies track to track. All tracks had clear weather, 23 opponents.

Airplanek8
18-06-2015, 04:15
In this video, the user has a GTX 980 with a 4670K compared to my dual 980 Ti and the same processor. At minute 8:47 he has loaded rainy conditions with 51 opponents and he is getting the same framerate (35ish) I get with 25 opponents in the same conditions. Needless to say, upping my opponents near 50 yields FPS in the 20s. I'm not even going to mention the settings because whether it is in 1080P and or 4K I get the same results. ultra or not ultra.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYzPrU3vXpk

This guy, same processor, with a GTX 970. When it starts raining in the video, it doesn't even go below 44 FPS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MSQUSzdUUE

SMS PC Lead
18-06-2015, 08:42
Pardon my ignorance on computer science and I really appreciate your help but if this command (-skipcrowds) is going to remove or reduce the amount of crowds on the stands, I don't really want to do so. If this were my goal, I would lower the settings which still doesn't make a difference when I do in this particular game as the graphics cards continue to be underused. In addition, I'm still not clear about how -dx11mt affects the game. I don't want to apply temporary fixes which hurt the overall game graphics just to fix a performance issue that's not on my part. In advance, I promise you I'm not trying to be rude. I'm frustrated with the situation, not with anyone here.

UPDATE: I tried -dx11mt and my GPUs still performed at 45 to 55% and my frames remained between 30 and 40FPS. So does my GPU usage (40 to 50%).

The command-line options I suggested are just options to help me diagnose what sort of bottleneck you are experiencing.

So now, as another test to help me get to the bottom of this, can you disable SLI and report back your (single) GPU usage and FPS please.

RomKnight
18-06-2015, 13:16
I have not read all the pages but I've just read something about gpu utilization in SLI in a local forum so, here goes nothing.

For those of you with SLI try DS4x or more AA as it seems it gives your GPU the works ;D

RDogg
18-06-2015, 13:33
No issues with SLI at all. Both fully utilised and temps stay at a nice 70 degrees. No FPS drops in normal weather, average about 50fps in the rain conditions.

Honestly, the game runs superb.

SMS PC Lead
18-06-2015, 13:49
No issues with SLI at all. Both fully utilised and temps stay at a nice 70 degrees. No FPS drops in normal weather, average about 50fps in the rain conditions.

Honestly, the game runs superb.

Same here (Titan X SLI) - however that doesn't diminish the requirement for us to investigate the reports of GPU under-utilization on some SLI systems!

N0body Of The Goat
18-06-2015, 14:06
There does seem to be a link between GPU use % and the amount of AA being applied.

On my dry run around Le Mans posted ~45mins ago, http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?31920-What-FPS-are-you-getting&p=1000096&viewfull=1#post1000096 , GPU use was typically 80%+ through most of the lap (with DS2X active).

A repeat run with no AA active gives me ~55-60% GPU use through most of the lap.

Jeremy Clarkson
18-06-2015, 14:49
The command-line options I suggested are just options to help me diagnose what sort of bottleneck you are experiencing.

So now, as another test to help me get to the bottom of this, can you disable SLI and report back your (single) GPU usage and FPS please.

@SMS PC LEAD please take your time to read through the whole thread and you will see I have been through every possible scenario to troubleshoot this issue - everything you are suggesting has already been tested with graphs showing the outcome. There is absolutely no bottleneck.

TheIronWolf
18-06-2015, 16:03
Same here (Titan X SLI) - however that doesn't diminish the requirement for us to investigate the reports of GPU under-utilization on some SLI systems!
Sir, just wondering, do 4 GPUs configuration need additional work in game to scale better, or same (potential) scaling improvements will apply to both 2, 3 and 4 GPU systems? Does scaling even depend on game code? Maybe load is controlled purely by driver?

I get perfect utilization for 2 GPUs, but not for 4. What's interesting is that lowering details in game lowers utilization, without improving FPS much, just as others reported.

Nice to see such dedication to performance improvements :)

Airplanek8
18-06-2015, 18:22

SMS PC Lead,

To summarize, I've linked my initial post in the thread (Post #311): http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?22928-Terrible-SLI-GPU-usage&p=986973&viewfull=1#post986973
Here, you can see my results with SLI ON and OFF with my settings at 4K, Ultra/Max possible, AA OFF and SMAA OFF.

In addition, I've lowered my resolution to 1080 in order to provide smaller screenshots below. With this said I have tested different scenarios:

NOTE: GPU usage is the percentage to the immediate right of the temperature.

SLI Disabled: 1080, All Settings Ultra/Max possible, AA OFF, SMAA OFF (No command lines used)

SLI Enabled: 1080, All Settings Ultra/Max possible, AA OFF, SMAA OFF (No command lines used)

SLI Disabled: 1080, All Settings Ultra/Max possible, AA OFF, SMAA OFF (Both Command lines used)

SLI Enabled: 1080, All Settings Ultra/Max possible, AA OFF, SMAA OFF (Both Command lines used)

Whatever is causing this poor GPU usage is not my CPU. I have found countless discussions and videos on YouTube with my same processor at above, lower and same core clocks and not a single bottleneck is taking place. Jeremy's CPU is also stronger than mine as an i7 and he is experiencing the same issue. Like I said before, I have thrown the heaviest of games at my PC just for testing and every game has run flawlessly in 4K, ultra settings and never dropped below 50FPS while maintaining a high GPU usage when the game deemed necessary.

Airplanek8
18-06-2015, 18:39
I have not read all the pages but I've just read something about gpu utilization in SLI in a local forum so, here goes nothing.

For those of you with SLI try DS4x or more AA as it seems it gives your GPU the works ;D

My image looks absolutely perfect (image quality, not fluid in terms of FPS) at 4K with FXAA on HIGH, SMAA OFF and AA OFF. If I enable any of those, the edges don't look as realistic. On top of that, theoretically speaking this is going to decrease my FPS which I don't want. 4K + AA + SMAA is not necessary for my monitor as it achieves maximum image quality with 4K FXAA on HIGH, SMAA OFF and AA OFF. Therefore, there should be no need for me to increase my settings just so that my cards can "work better" and lose valuable FPS down the road.

RomKnight
18-06-2015, 19:21
Just to make this clear, I do not have SLI.

I just posted something i've found on a local forum.

My intent ofc, is trying to help with what other's have found like adding the -dx11mt -skipcrowds parameters and disabling detailed grass entirely.

It is for TESTING purposes on those systems that have both gpu's under usage and definitely not on sli with 980ti cards ;)

BTW are you on triple screen config or single screen?

Airplanek8
18-06-2015, 19:26
Just to make this clear, I do not have SLI.

I just posted something i've found on a local forum.

My intent ofc, is trying to help with what other's have found like adding the -dx11mt -skipcrowds parameters and disabling detailed grass entirely.

It is for TESTING purposes on those systems that have both gpu's under usage and definitely not on sli with 980ti cards ;)

BTW are you on triple screen config or single screen?

Just one screen. The goal might be to get 2 more of the same screen down the road. For that to happen though, I need this running smooth. Also, what does -novr do?

Airplanek8
18-06-2015, 19:49
Another one: 4790K processor with SLI Titan X. 4K, all ultra, particle level OFF. Only 13 opponents. Not accounting for the drop in FPS through FRAPS recording, this guy should be flying in the 60s instead of mid 30s and his GPUs only reached 47% usage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxYz57nqFIY

rauf0
18-06-2015, 19:55
My settings, g-sync on, SLI TX on Z87 (I7 4770k)

-skipcrowds

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e165/raufzero/3lcdTX_zpsv7awkebt.jpg

At Ring with 30 AI's, rain, never below 100 fps.

Full screen 32MB
http://sendfile.pl/pokaz/395490---itpO.html

minature
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e165/raufzero/th_pCARS64%202015-06-18%2020-59-47-05_zps0mzof7by.png (http://s39.photobucket.com/user/raufzero/media/pCARS64%202015-06-18%2020-59-47-05_zps0mzof7by.png.html)

Works better than on 3xFHD screens. IQ, smoothness, zero tearing - pure beauty. Thanks SMS for for 12K ready engine, at 6K already blow my eyes ;)

Airplanek8
18-06-2015, 20:00
My settings, g-sync on, SLI TX on Z87 (I7 4770k)

-skipcrowds

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e165/raufzero/3lcdTX_zpsv7awkebt.jpg

At Ring with 30 AI's, rain, never below 100 fps.

Full screen 32MB
http://sendfile.pl/pokaz/395490---itpO.html

minature
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e165/raufzero/th_pCARS64%202015-06-18%2020-59-47-05_zps0mzof7by.png (http://s39.photobucket.com/user/raufzero/media/pCARS64%202015-06-18%2020-59-47-05_zps0mzof7by.png.html)

Works better than on 3xFHD screens. IQ, smoothness, zero tearing - pure beauty. Thanks SMS for for 12K ready engine, at 6K already blow my eyes ;)

We are aware that SLI works wonderfully for a lot of people. Hence all my videos throughout the thread. Thank you for the info.

SMS PC Lead
18-06-2015, 20:01
Another one: 4790K processor with SLI Titan X. 4K, all ultra, particle level OFF. Only 13 opponents. Not accounting for the drop in FPS through FRAPS recording, this guy should be flying in the 60s instead of mid 30s and his GPUs only reached 47% usage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxYz57nqFIY

He's running with VSync - so it's quite possible that the frame-rate is in the 50s if he were running without Vsync... As you soon as you enable Vsync in a scenario like this the GPU will idle waiting for the sync and you will get vastly reduced GPU usage.

Measuring GPU Usage with Vsync enabled is meaningless - at 1080p for example if your card can run the game at 120 with vsync off then enabling Vsync to lock at 60 will result in 50% GPU usage......

SMS PC Lead
18-06-2015, 20:03
Just one screen. The goal might be to get 2 more of the same screen down the road. For that to happen though, I need this running smooth. Also, what does -novr do?

-novr disables Oculus Rift if you have one plugged in.

Airplanek8
18-06-2015, 20:08
He's running with VSync - so it's quite possible that the frame-rate is in the 50s if he were running without Vsync... As you soon as you enable Vsync in a scenario like this the GPU will idle waiting for the sync and you will get vastly reduced GPU usage.

Measuring GPU Usage with Vsync enabled is meaningless - at 1080p for example if your card can run the game at 120 with vsync off then enabling Vsync to lock at 60 will result in 50% GPU usage......

Yes, you are partly right, but you are discarding the fact that the GPU will only idle and reduce its usage when the frames reach the desired number. In this case, 60FPS. When I run any other game, the cards always boost their usage as necessary when the FPS go below 60. Whether they need to boost to 95% or just 80% depends on how much it really needs to achieve it. Once it reaches it, they go down to whatever is enough to maintain it at 60. In this game, they never even try to go up in usage to attempt to establish the desired framerates. They are not supposed to stay at 50% usage if my framerate is in the 30s. Also, if I disable vsync nothing changes only that the menus become ridiculously overpowered in frames.

Look at this picture for example:

It is using all the crazy raw power at around 90% to draw 660FPS. If I enable Vsync. it goes down to 11% usage but maintains 60FPS and will increase if necessary to maintain the same FPS. This is the way it works in every other game I've played for the past 14 years.

SMS PC Lead
18-06-2015, 20:52
Yes, you are partly right, but you are discarding the fact that the GPU will only idle and reduce its usage when the frames reach the desired number. In this case, 60FPS. When I run any other game, the cards always boost their usage as necessary when the FPS go below 60. Whether they need to boost to 95% or just 80% depends on how much it really needs to achieve it. Once it reaches it, they go down to whatever is enough to maintain it at 60. In this game, they never even try to go up in usage to attempt to establish the desired framerates. They are not supposed to stay at 50% usage if my framerate is in the 30s. Also, if I disable vsync nothing changes only that the menus become ridiculously overpowered in frames.

Look at this picture for example:

It is using all the crazy raw power at around 90% to draw 660FPS. If I enable Vsync. it goes down to 11% usage but maintains 60FPS and will increase if necessary to maintain the same FPS. This is the way it works in every other game I've played for the past 14 years.

There are a bunch of causes for low GPU usage:

1. Vsync as I mentioned when you have a lot of head-room over a target frame-rate (the 11% usage at 60FPS you give in the front-end is a good example of this)
2. GPU<->CPU Interlocking. This happens when the CPU tries to update a resource (like say some Geometry) while it is in use by the GPU - typically under D3D11 you 'lock' (map) the data, update it and unlock it. If some data the GPU is about to use is locked when it encounters it, it will need to wait for the CPU to finish doing the update and this will increase idle time.
3. The driver thread being a serialization point. When a game submits DX11 API calls to draw the various scene elements, these are queued and then consumed by the driver thread. This is true for both AMD and NVIDIA drivers. There is an absolute limit to the amount of calls that this driver thread can process depending on the CPU type and clock-rate - if a game exceeds the amount that can be processed per frame by this thread and the GPU (like yours) is fast enough to render all of these draw calls, then gaps (idle-time) will start to occur because the GPU is able to render the calls faster than the driver can provide them.
4. SLI inter-GPU transfers. With SLI as you know each GPU renders alternate frames. However, quite often with modern rendering techniques the *result* of one frames rendering must be used in the next. This is a problem because the second GPU is rendering the next frame - therefore in order to give the correct rendering result it must be transferred e.g. the GPUs must be synchronized. If the volume of the data to transfer takes longer than the frame-time then idle time will be produced while the GPUs wait for the transfer.

So pretty much if you have low utilization it will be down one of these. I'd like to ask you to run without Vsync for now and also I'd really appreciate it if you could test some things for me to determine where the problem lies.
I understand your frustration, but clearly a lot of PC systems get good SLI scaling and finding out why some don't is important. I understand you might have 'tried everything' but I need to go through this methodically - so if you help me, I can help you.

Is that a deal?

Airplanek8
18-06-2015, 21:13
There are a bunch of causes for low GPU usage:

1. Vsync as I mentioned when you have a lot of head-room over a target frame-rate (the 11% usage at 60FPS you give in the front-end is a good example of this)
2. GPU<->CPU Interlocking. This happens when the CPU tries to update a resource (like say some Geometry) while it is in use by the GPU - typically under D3D11 you 'lock' (map) the data, update it and unlock it. If some data the GPU is about to use is locked when it encounters it, it will need to wait for the CPU to finish doing the update and this will increase idle time.
3. The driver thread being a serialization point. When a game submits DX11 API calls to draw the various scene elements, these are queued and then consumed by the driver thread. This is true for both AMD and NVIDIA drivers. There is an absolute limit to the amount of calls that this driver thread can process depending on the CPU type and clock-rate - if a game exceeds the amount that can be processed per frame by this thread and the GPU (like yours) is fast enough to render all of these draw calls, then gaps (idle-time) will start to occur because the GPU is able to render the calls faster than the driver can provide them.
4. SLI inter-GPU transfers. With SLI as you know each GPU handles renders alternate frames. However, quite often with modern rendering techniques the *result* of one frames rendering must be used in the next. This is a problem because the second GPU is rendering the next frame - therefore in order to give the correct rendering result it must be transferred e.g. the GPUs must be synchronized. If the volume of the data to transfer takes longer than the frame-time then idle time will be produced while the GPUs wait for the transfer.

So pretty much if you have low utilization it will be down one of these. I'd like to ask you to run without Vsync for now and also I'd really appreciate it if you could test some things for me to determine where the problem lies.
I understand your frustration, but clearly a lot of PC systems get good SLI scaling and finding out why some don't is important. I understand you might have 'tried everything' but I need to go through this methodically - so if you help me, I can help you.

Is that a deal?

Thank you for the explanation! By all means, let me know what to do to help you out. I'll disable the Vsync lock in the meantime.

Regards,

SMS PC Lead
18-06-2015, 21:26
Thank you for the explanation! By all means, let me know what to do to help you out. I'll disable the Vsync lock in the meantime.

Regards,

So (and bare with me!) there are a few basic things:

1. Can you provide a screenshot of your NVIDIA control panel with 'Manage 3D settings' selected.
2. A copy of your graphicsconfigdx11.xml
3. The NVIDIA driver version and also the utility(and exact version) you are using to overlay the GPU usage/CPU usage (our internal code has this stuff, but I want to be aligned with whatever you are using on my local SLI system)

Airplanek8
18-06-2015, 22:00
So (and bare with me!) there are a few basic things:

1. Can you provide a screenshot of your NVIDIA control panel with 'Manage 3D settings' selected.
2. A copy of your graphicsconfigdx11.xml
3. The NVIDIA driver version and also the utility(and exact version) you are using to overlay the GPU usage/CPU usage (our internal code has this stuff, but I want to be aligned with whatever you are using on my local SLI system)

Attached are all three. For point 1, please note I like to let the applications decide the settings. I'm a very "anti-super-tweak-everything" person. So I keep everything global and I like to just use the game's settings. I've only used the 3d settings in Nvidia to enable DSR and to switch the GPU to max performance. For point 3, Riva tuner comes with MSI Afterburner. This is the utility I use to gather the data. The versions are displayed in the screen. In addition, I'm using the one and only driver for the 980 Ti at the moment, 353.06. It's also displayed for both GPUs in the screenshot.

Also, I've just noticed the GPUs have a different Bios version. How does this affect anything at all?

SMS PC Lead
18-06-2015, 22:15
Attached are all three. For point 1, please note I like to let the applications decide the settings. I'm a very "anti-super-tweak-everything" person. So I keep everything global and I like to just use the game's settings. I've only used the 3d settings in Nvidia to enable DSR and to switch the GPU to max performance. For point 3, Riva tuner comes with MSI Afterburner. This is the utility I use to gather the data. The versions are displayed in the screen. In addition, I'm using the one and only driver for the 980 Ti at the moment, 353.06. It's also displayed for both GPUs in the screenshot.

Also, I've just noticed the GPUs have a different Bios version. How does this affect anything at all?

That all looks fine - one thing though do you have a 4K monitor or are you using DSR to render in 4K?

SpaceGhost1911
18-06-2015, 22:20

I can answer that having different BIOS on stock cards will not have a negative impact. The only time this would be an issue is if you flash an overclock bios on one card and not the other. And it wouldn't be a problem, just not get full potential. My GTX770 Classifieds have Different BIOS on BIOS 1, but have the same BIOS on LN2. No difference in performance other than I can push the power limit more on LN2.

Airplanek8
18-06-2015, 22:27
SMS PC Lead,

I use a 1920x1080 monitor and render in 4K through DSR. Is this a problem? This is what I use for all other games I run in 4K.

SpaceGhost1911

Good to know the GPU Bios is not a problem. I might learn to flash that rather soon and make them the same. Unless someone advises against it with a good reason!

SMS PC Lead
18-06-2015, 22:50
SMS PC Lead,

I use a 1920x1080 monitor and render in 4K through DSR. Is this a problem? This is what I use for all other games I run in 4K.

SpaceGhost1911

Good to know the GPU Bios is not a problem. I might learn to flash that rather soon and make them the same. Unless someone advises against it with a good reason!

DSR 4x is equivalent to our AA mode "DS4X" but NVIDIA's version can be a lot slower - the reason for this is that when you use DSR 4x it is applied to elements of the scene like the post-FX (depth of field, heat-haze, post filters) that gain little or no benefit from the increased resolution. The DS4X AA mode only applies down-sampling where it is of benefit - e.g. the 3D parts of the scene.

However first things first. With SLI enabled and NO AI.

1. Capture a screen-shot with your normal Ultra settings.
2. In the performance options - set detailed grass to 'off' and reflection and environment map to 'High' (not Ultra as you currently have). Capture a screen-shot.
3. Post both screen-shots (make sure you capture both with the overlay enabled with GPU stats - not red please!))

SpaceGhost1911
18-06-2015, 22:58
SMS PC Lead,

SpaceGhost1911

It's not a difficult process to do and with GPU-Z you can actually save the bios from one and flash to the other using nvflash. If you decide you want to do it, hit me up and I will be more than happy to walk you through the process.

Airplanek8
18-06-2015, 23:00
DSR 4x is equivalent to our AA mode "DS4X" but NVIDIA's version can be a lot slower - the reason for this is that when you use DSR 4x it is applied to elements of the scene like the post-FX (depth of field, heat-haze, post filters) that gain little or no benefit from the increased resolution. The DS4X AA mode only applies down-sampling where it is of benefit - e.g. the 3D parts of the scene.

However first things first. With SLI enabled and NO AI.

1. Capture a screen-shot with your normal Ultra settings.
2. In the performance options - set detailed grass to 'off' and reflection and environment map to 'High' (not Ultra as you currently have). Capture a screen-shot.
3. Post both screen-shots (make sure you capture both with the overlay enabled with GPU stats - not red please!))

Ok, I had removed the command lines. Is that okay? Also, I will have to do a lot of cropping in the image in order to be able to upload it here since 4K is way too large and do I keep it in the same track in the same weather conditions?

SMS PC Lead
18-06-2015, 23:02
Ok, I had removed the command lines. Is that okay? Also, I will have to do a lot of cropping in the image in order to be able to upload it here since 4K is way too large and do I keep it in the same track in the same weather conditions?

Yes - no command line options. Same track and weather conditions (but please post the Track, Car, Time of Day and Weather conditions you are using). You can crop/downscale the image for posting purposes.

SpaceGhost1911
18-06-2015, 23:27
DS4X :encouragement::encouragement::encouragement::encouragement: !!!!! Switched to it with no AA because I don't see it as being necessary with 4K. WOW!!! WOW!!! WOW!!!! Game looks great! FPS is great!! Seems the AA and Reflections are the ultimate killers on my cards!

SMS PC Lead
18-06-2015, 23:35
DS4X :encouragement::encouragement::encouragement::encouragement: !!!!! Switched to it with no AA because I don't see it as being necessary with 4K. WOW!!! WOW!!! WOW!!!! Game looks great! FPS is great!! Seems the AA and Reflections are the ultimate killers on my cards!

Sorry I'm confused - how can you switch to DS4X with no AA? Or do you mean you turned off NVIDIA DSR 4X and switched to DS4X?

Airplanek8
18-06-2015, 23:49
Yes - no command line options. Same track and weather conditions (but please post the Track, Car, Time of Day and Weather conditions you are using). You can crop/downscale the image for posting purposes.

Attached screens. The one with the higher GPU usage and FPS is the one with the lower settings.

Track is Azure Circuit, at 14:00 Local, Heavy Fog with Rain Real Time. GT3 Aston Martin (Orange)

Luis Branco
18-06-2015, 23:50
I used SLI during the roughly 3 years of development builds.

During that time I experienced with several video settings in pCars but has Nvidia SLI support only came in the very last stage of development not much could be said then.
Nonetheless, it seems that pCars ir poorly optimized for SLI and I tried different video settings to see what suited better.

I found that the higher the AA setting used the higher the GPU usage.

Also I found that using -skipcrowds -dx11mt in launch options contribute to a better SLI experience just as not using detailed grass, detailed grass off, therefore.

Here are some screenshots with the following settings (click on the screenshot to see in full resolution).

1. With -skipcrowds -dx11mt, detailed grass off and DSX2
http://s1.postimg.org/i2j1wqrzz/DSX2.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/rzu2pszln/full/)

2. With -skipcrowds -dx11mt, detailed grass Ultra and DSX4
http://s21.postimg.org/6408ubtbb/DSX4_Detailed_Grass.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/8lc01ld7n/full/)

3. With -dx11mt, detailed grass off and DSX4
http://s13.postimg.org/8rv9eeil3/DSX4_without_skipcrowds.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/co8lae3kj/full/)

4. With -skipcrowds -dx11mt, detailed grass off and DSX4
http://s28.postimg.org/5fjyq1v9p/DSX4.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/j98bf3nux/full/)

5. With -skipcrowds -dx11mt, detailed grass off and DSX4, SLI can reach almost 100% GPU usage
http://s12.postimg.org/695c2ad2l/DSX4_FINAL.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/3rtkv0t61/full/)

See how GPU usage increases with the different settings.

SpaceGhost1911
18-06-2015, 23:54
I wasn't using DSR before. I was using a crazy nVidia CP setup to override all AA. I set my nVCP back to default with the exception of Power Mode. In game I use DS4X. No FXAA. No SMAA. Reflections/Enviro Map = Medium. Car/Track Detail = Ultra. Shadow Detail = Med. Texture Filtering = 16X.

With GTX 770 Classifieds 4GB is dual SLI I am running a pretty consistent 80 FPS. I was getting a little bit of TDP, but that is because I was experimenting with no space between my cards and I haven't turned my AC on yet. I just re-configured my card spacing to put a gap between them to help with the temps (ACX SUCKS!) So I think that will solve that bit of issue. But on Oulton Park with no AI was was locked at 80FPS. (I think I might have it capped, will check). With 12 AI I was at 80FPS up until my top card started to temp throttle. Then it dropped to a lowest of 74FPS. But I can report that that both cards were running pretty consistently at 90-93%. And again the game has never looked that good.... No in the rain it is still absolute crap. But I will take this so far!

Airplanek8
19-06-2015, 00:01
I used SLI during the roughly 3 years of development builds.

During that time I experienced with several video settings in pCars but has Nvidia SLI support only came in the very last stage of development not much could be said then.
Nonetheless, it seems that pCars ir poorly optimized for SLI and I tried different video settings to see what suited better.

I found that the higher the AA setting used the higher the GPU usage.

Also I found that using -skipcrowds -dx11mt in launch options contribute to a better SLI experience just as not using detailed grass, detailed grass off, therefore.

Here are some screenshots with the following settings (click on the screenshot to see in full resolution).

1. With -skipcrowds -dx11mt, detailed grass off and DSX2
http://s1.postimg.org/i2j1wqrzz/DSX2.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/rzu2pszln/full/)

2. With -skipcrowds -dx11mt, detailed grass Ultra and DSX4
http://s21.postimg.org/6408ubtbb/DSX4_Detailed_Grass.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/8lc01ld7n/full/)

3. With -dx11mt, detailed grass off and DSX4
http://s13.postimg.org/8rv9eeil3/DSX4_without_skipcrowds.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/co8lae3kj/full/)

4. With -skipcrowds -dx11mt, detailed grass off and DSX4
http://s28.postimg.org/5fjyq1v9p/DSX4.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/j98bf3nux/full/)

5. With -skipcrowds -dx11mt, detailed grass off and DSX4, SLI can reach almost 100% GPU usage
http://s12.postimg.org/695c2ad2l/DSX4_FINAL.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/3rtkv0t61/full/)

See how GPU usage increases with the different settings.

Are your other settings at max? Very interesting and conclusive information. So maybe there are some problems with these settings? It's kind of a killer to force someone to use higher settings so that they can make full use of their GPU. Especially if it's not a powerful GPU.

SMS PC Lead
19-06-2015, 00:03
Attached screens. The one with the higher GPU usage and FPS is the one with the lower settings.

Ok Cool - you have 107FPS VS 64FPS with just 3 changes to settings, 2 from Ultra to High and 1 to off... !!

In theory now we've *lowered* settings yet the GPU usage is much higher, which is the opposite of what you would expect e.g. We have given the GPU less work to do(!) but it's somehow more busy... (less idle time... which of course means one of those reasons I outlined above must be the problem)

So the next test:

With the lower settings (107FPS), I want you to increase the detailed grass setting back to the Ultra setting and then post another screen-shot. If it does have a significant impact then please post another screen-shot with the detailed grass setting at High.

Luis Branco
19-06-2015, 00:27
Are your other settings at max? Very interesting and conclusive information. So maybe there are some problems with these settings? It's kind of a killer to force someone to use higher settings so that they can make full use of their GPU. Especially if it's not a powerful GPU.

These are the settings used.

Airplanek8
19-06-2015, 00:31
High Grass

Ultra Grass

SMS PC Lead
19-06-2015, 00:51
High Grass

Ultra Grass

Now, two last tests (late late!)

1. Grab a Screen-capture with performance options 'Environment Map' set to High as before *but* bump up reflections to Ultra, with the Ultra detailed grass setting. (Bit strange Ultra grass gives you more FPS than High!)
2. Repeat (1) but set detailed grass to 'Low'.

Airplanek8
19-06-2015, 00:53
"Now, two last tests (late late!)

1. Grab a Screen-capture with performance options 'Environment Map' set to High as before *but* bump up reflections to Ultra, with the Ultra detailed grass setting. (Bit strange Ultra grass gives you more FPS than High!)
2. Repeat (1) but set detailed grass to 'Low'."

Is grass really a factor in this map? It's covered in buildings. Again, pardon my ignorance! Results for the test below:

Environment High, Reflections Ultra, Grass Ultra

Environment High, Reflections Ultra, Grass Low

Alan Dallas
19-06-2015, 09:05
Is grass really a factor in this map? It's covered in buildings. Again, pardon my ignorance!
If the grass material is used anywhere on the track it can still be rendered in the buffer. Just no draw calls to the screen output.

SMS PC Lead
19-06-2015, 09:32
"Now, two last tests (late late!)

2. Repeat (1) but set detailed grass to 'Low'."

Is grass really a factor in this map? It's covered in buildings. Again, pardon my ignorance! Results for the test below:

Environment High, Reflections Ultra, Grass Ultra

Environment High, Reflections Ultra, Grass Low

Ok. Keep Grass at Ultra, but now make environment map Ultra and Reflections High and post a screenshot!

Jeremy Clarkson
19-06-2015, 15:16
SMS, are we entitled to a "beta" badge and paper hat for all the testing we are doing for you on this final released product? After a good few weeks of leaving the game I decide to give it another try and guess what it's still riddled with bugs and shocking performance!

@airplanek8, I can safely say you aren't going to get anywhere mate, this issue has nothing to do with your system. I've posted numerous graphs on this thread with various testing results all of which you are being asked to do now, and I've heard absolutely nothing back from the devs. Your wasting your time being asked to do all of this, unless of course you enjoy being a beta tester..

SwiftyOne
19-06-2015, 15:27
SMS, are we entitled to a "beta" badge and paper hat for all the testing we are doing for you on this final released product? After a good few weeks of leaving the game I decide to give it another try and guess what it's still riddled with bugs and shocking performance!

@airplanek8, I can safely say you aren't going to get anywhere mate, this issue has nothing to do with your system. I've posted numerous graphs on this thread with various testing results all of which you are being asked to do now, and I've heard absolutely nothing back from the devs. Your wasting your time being asked to do all of this, unless of course you enjoy being a beta tester..

Well I guess you can have a "Blue Beta Badge"...Here's one I prepared earlier :) Sing along now!!! :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmziOKr3CuQ

Mark Bevan
19-06-2015, 16:56
I've posted numerous graphs on this thread with various testing results all of which you are being asked to do now, and I've heard absolutely nothing back from the devs. Your wasting your time being asked to do all of this, unless of course you enjoy being a beta tester..

You seem to be both complaining that the devs didn't help and that they are now helping, which doesn't make sense.

Ian Bell
19-06-2015, 17:03

Ban him and the guy who liked it mods.

TheIronWolf
19-06-2015, 17:31
You seem to be both complaining that the devs didn't help and that they are now helping, which doesn't make sense.
I've been thinking this morning - this is rare. SMS is _actually_ helping people. Actual team is responding and helping. And Ian's entertaining posts - I get healthy dose of humor every morning by checking them. I seriously don't know where those guys find sanity and strength while dealing with so much negativity.

I have a humble suggestion to dissatisfied customers: go try modern completion on PC (in simulators, I won't call names). I suspect that might change opinions of many people. None of simulators are perfect, but IMHO pCars is currently in the lead in terms of completeness and optimization. And, it is made with love, and it shows.

LMAO
19-06-2015, 17:40
Ban him and the guy who liked it mods.

@Ian Bell, that's right ban him and everyone else who has purchased a "finished" game at full price, only for them to discover the game is still in it's beta stage!!!!!!! I have spent hours upon hours testing and posting results and graphs for YOU to look at, have you spoken upon this issue? NO.

You release a unfinished game and charge full price for it, then when people complain about the bugs you ban them. Pffffft..... what a company.

How pathetic is your comment "........and the guy who liked it". What a child!!!!!

You can't even ban an individual from your forum, let alone finish a game!

PS watch out people who are suffering with issues with this game. Please do not like this comment as you will get banned..........

Ian Bell
19-06-2015, 17:44
@Ian Bell, that's right ban him and everyone else who has purchased a "finished" game at full price, only for them to discover the game is still in it's beta stage!!!!!!! I have spent hours upon hours testing and posting results and graphs for YOU to look at, have you spoken upon this issue? NO.

You release a unfinished game and charge full price for it, then when people complain about the bugs you ban them. Pffffft..... what a company.

How pathetic is your comment "........and the guy who liked it". What a child!!!!!

You can't even ban an individual from your forum, let alone finish a game!

PS watch out people who are suffering with issues with this game. Please do not like this comment as you will get banned..........

You're a nutjob.

Vit, ban his IP.

LMAO
19-06-2015, 17:44
HAAAA GOOD LUCK

LMAO
19-06-2015, 17:45
Your a nutjob for releasing a finished game which is still in beta stages.

Ian Bell
HAAAA GOOD LUCK

We tend not to want to encourage crazy people. It's just a matter of time limitations.

Ian Bell
Your a nutjob for releasing a finished game which is still in beta stages.

'You're' is the word you're searching for. Shortened version of 'You are'.

EHM
19-06-2015, 17:56
This place is the best to visit for a good chuckle when you're too tired to do anything but can't sleep, Fringe Wars.

TrevorAustin
19-06-2015, 18:10
Yea, it's funny watching the mods try and ban a member who speaks up about the issues with the game. If you google, you will find theres alot of people who have been banned for complaining about the issues with this game. Talk about a incompetent company

Stop ruining the thread, this 'was' an extremely interesting thread until the loony brigade jumped in, it would be nice to follow this to resolution without more childish comments.

TrevorAustin
19-06-2015, 18:17
For your information I was the one (Jeremy Clarkson) who started this thread!!!! Yes my comment is the second one, but someone elses thread wad merged into this

You aren't speaking up you're being a petulant child over £50.

The thread was very interesting until you came back. So feel free to go and sulk in the corner for a few weeks again.

SMS PC Lead
19-06-2015, 18:17
For your information I was the one (Jeremy Clarkson) who started this thread!!!! Yes my comment is the second one, but someone elses thread wad merged into this

Are you sure you're not just pissed off because I replied to the other guy?

It's pretty clear if you read the thread last night that we're narrowing down the issue. It's system or setting specific, despite what you think - I will fix it, I'd put money on it :)

TrevorAustin
19-06-2015, 18:21
Are you sure you're not just pissed off because I replied to the other guy?

It's pretty clear if you read the thread last night that we're narrowing down the issue. It's system or setting specific, despite what you think - I will fix it, I'd put money on it :)

Well hurry up, lol. I've got my next purchase based on the outcome of your skills:) fix it and i get a 2nd 970 and motherboard, don't fix it and its a 980ti, it's all on you personally, unless you've already tested both and can give me an opinion:)

I'm actually putting off sticking my headset on for the evening waiting for you to beat the sli into submission

Outlaw Peet
19-06-2015, 18:33
'You're' is the word you're searching for. Shortened version of 'You are'.

Ian, please stay on the level you started communicating on this forum. This is not going to help you. Maybe the flu?

Ian Bell
19-06-2015, 19:02
Ian, please stay on the level you started communicating on this forum. This is not going to help you. Maybe the flu?

Don't tell me what to do.

wyldanimal
19-06-2015, 19:15

Ian,

Gotta luv your hands on approach to Handling some of these members.
Some would think that as the Studio head you should be tolerant and courteous all the time...

BS on that... If they give you Sh.. I say Let em have it..

Thumbs up. I respect that.

Outlaw Peet
19-06-2015, 19:37

Hi Ian got your private message. It was merely a advice nothing more shouldn't be posted here

Aldo Zampatti
19-06-2015, 20:05
I've got my next purchase based on the outcome of your skills:)

If he said "I will fix it", I can bet my house with my wife and kid inside that he will :)

Airplanek8
19-06-2015, 22:08
Sooooooooooooooo, I was away trying to protect a nestling from being eaten alive by a gang of cats and decided to engineer a top notch nest (balcony and everything) for the nestlings. Now that I've survived the mother's constant attacks and saved the world while fortunately missing all this crazy stuff happening in the past few hours, I'm ready to get back to hopefully solving this once and for all.

SMS PC Lead, Give me a few mins to get set up, grab a drink and put Copa America on TV and I will get on your last post.

TrevorAustin
19-06-2015, 22:38
If he said "I will fix it", I can bet my house with my wife and kid inside that he will :)

Hey just noticed you're Argentinian, that's a tempting bet, don't need a house and kid, but an argentine wife..... Lol.

spinkick
19-06-2015, 23:34

we are the boss of you

SMS PC Lead
19-06-2015, 23:41
Sooooooooooooooo, I was away trying to protect a nestling from being eaten alive by a gang of cats and decided to engineer a top notch nest (balcony and everything) for the nestlings. Now that I've survived the mother's constant attacks and saved the world while fortunately missing all this crazy stuff happening in the past few hours, I'm ready to get back to hopefully solving this once and for all.

SMS PC Lead, Give me a few mins to get set up, grab a drink and put Copa America on TV and I will get on your last post.

While you test - just noticed your motherboard : can you confirm the colour of the PCI express slots you are using.

Airplanek8
19-06-2015, 23:55
I was asked about this on NVIDIA forums. I'm using both cards on the red slots. Also results fluctuated a little bit as I loaded the game on two different occasions, so I decided to post both screenshots. They both have the exact same settings as per your last post and both were taken exactly when the third red lights came on, on the race board (don't know what that's called).

SMS PC Lead
20-06-2015, 00:02
I was asked about this on NVIDIA forums. I'm using both cards on the red slots. Also results fluctuated a little bit as I loaded the game on two different occasions, so I decided to post both screenshots. They both have the exact same settings as per your last post and both were taken exactly when the third red lights came on, on the race board (don't know what that's called).

Thanks!

- Can you confirm that now you have Ultra everything except one setting and confirm what option the High setting is for other users? And also go back to full Ultra, which was 67FPS and repeat and confirm that this single option goes from 67->85.7/91.2.

TrevorAustin
20-06-2015, 00:15
can you confirm the gpu % readings for these, im not quite sure what the overlays are showing? and is the fact they aren't pinned at 100, despite being a good cpu, that it could still take more! great improvement though.

SMS PC Lead
20-06-2015, 00:44
While you test - just noticed your motherboard : can you confirm the colour of the PCI express slots you are using.

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1150/MAXIMUS-VI-HERO/E8459_Maximus_VI_Hero.pdf?_ga=1.104481349.474122922.1434656768

So with SLI your motherboard RED slots run at 8x - compared to 16x say for X99 motherboards, so you have the nearly highest through-put GPUs available (to human-kind!) but half the bandwidth to each card. So that's a potential bottleneck and might explain some of the variability.. but let's continue to investigate.

Airplanek8
20-06-2015, 01:26
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1150/MAXIMUS-VI-HERO/E8459_Maximus_VI_Hero.pdf?_ga=1.104481349.474122922.1434656768

So with SLI your motherboard RED slots run at 8x - compared to 16x say for X99 motherboards, so you have the nearly highest through-put GPUs available (to human-kind!) but half the bandwidth to each card. So that's a potential bottleneck and might explain some of the variability.. but let's continue to investigate.

I've learned throughout the years that the 16x to 8x makes a very very minute difference in FPS. I "researched" this extensively the day I decided to go SLI. At most 5FPS will be lost. I'm sure the 8x is not as direct an impact as simply halving the values.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/08/23/gtx_480_sli_pcie_bandwidth_perf_x16x16_vs_x8x8/2#.VYTD2OlRFhE

Airplanek8
20-06-2015, 01:30
can you confirm the gpu % readings for these, im not quite sure what the overlays are showing? and is the fact they aren't pinned at 100, despite being a good cpu, that it could still take more! great improvement though.

It's not really an improvement since all opponent cars were removed. I expect the FPS to go down to crap the second I bring it back to 29 opponents. The percentages to the immediate right of the temperatures are the GPU usage.

SMS PC Lead
20-06-2015, 01:44
It's not really an improvement since all opponent cars were removed. I expect the FPS to go down to crap the second I bring it back to 29 opponents. The percentages to the immediate right of the temperatures are the GPU usage.

If you confirm the reproduction changing the single setting from High to Ultra a few times gives a consistent result, then at the moment it would seem that the single change results in a 27-35% speed-up(!). I really appreciate your time with this, but firstly ask yourself if you 'expected' a single setting to have such a large effect? So bare with me asking you to test a few more things - expecting the FPS to go down with 29 opponents is an assumption. The computer you sit on is based on the Scientific Method.. and every component was built on not assuming anything, but dilgient (un-biased) testing and that method is responsible pretty much for everything in the modern world. So... that's what I am applying - I presume to know nothing about your PC and the instructions I give are to test various theories... Do we still have a deal?

Airplanek8
20-06-2015, 01:50
If you confirm the reproduction changing the single setting from High to Ultra a few times gives a consistent result, then at the moment it would seem that that single change results in a 27-35% speed-up(!). I really appreciate your time with this, but firstly ask yourself if you 'expected' a single setting to have such a large effect? So bare with me asking you test a few more things - expecting the FPS to go down with 29 opponents is an assumption. The computer you sit on is based on the Scientific Method.. and every component was built on not assuming anything, but dilgient (un-biased) testing and that method is responsible pretty much for everything in the modern world. So... that's what I am applying - I presume to know nothing about your PC and the instructions I give are to test various theories... Do we still have a deal?

I perfectly understand. I'm an aerospace engineer and also familiar with the systematic approach we are doing here. I'm not trying to assume; I'm just speaking from my experience that adding more to the cards to process will most definitely decrease the FPS. In this case, adding the cars. Like I said before, don't be alarmed when I speak my mind. It's never intended to discourage the organizational thought pattern you are executing here. I know how things can go. I know this is a computer program and I also know you are the expert.

ALSO, I'M KNOWN FOR EXAGERATING! :P

Results to you in just a minute!

Airplanek8
20-06-2015, 02:01
Thanks!

- Can you confirm that now you have Ultra everything except one setting and confirm what option the High setting is for other users? And also go back to full Ultra, which was 67FPS and repeat and confirm that this single option goes from 67->85.7/91.2.

Okay, FACT: When I run everything at ultra (as we've been doing per your instructions) the FPS ≈ 60 and GPU USAGE ≈ 65%, and when just the reflections setting itself, is lowered to high, the FPS ≈ 93 and the GPU USAGE ≈ 88%.

I'm trying to get a friend to test his ultra/high settings on reflections to see if his performance gap is as wide. Can anyone else around here confirm if this is the case as well?

SMS PC Lead
20-06-2015, 02:09
Okay, FACT: When I run everything at ultra (as we've been doing per your instructions) the FPS ≈ 60 and GPU USAGE ≈ 65, and when just the reflections setting itself, is lowered to high, the FPS ≈ 93 and the GPU USAGE ≈ 88%

Okay! (fellow Engineer - but in Aerospace, where testing is 10x what we do with games, so respect!). We've estabilished that this particular setting change is a big win - but this is *not* conclusive because it's a single track/start-grid. I'd like you try the reflection high/ultra test with Brands Hatch GP and post a FPS comparison or screenshots. You can try a few other tracks if based on that result you feel you need more data.

Airplanek8
20-06-2015, 02:17
Also, reflections on high and environment to low, drops from 90FPS to 75FPS. Can't recall if we did this already. I will go ahead and leave all settings ultra and test ultra/high reflections on other tracks starting with Brands Hatch.

SMS PC Lead
20-06-2015, 02:32
Also, reflections on high and environment to low, drops from 90FPS to 75FPS. Can't recall if we did this already. I will go ahead and leave all settings ultra and test ultra/high reflections on other tracks starting with Brands Hatch.

Off the main track - that's a bit weird and it does tell me something. Can you repeat the environment to low test, but turn off detailed grass with environment ultra and low?

Airplanek8
20-06-2015, 02:42
Results:

Brands Hatch GP: Reflections HIGH

Brands Hatch GP: Reflections ULTRA

Donington GP: Reflections HIGH

Donington GP: Reflections ULTRA

Working on your last request at the moment.

Aldo Zampatti
20-06-2015, 03:19
AirplaneK8, apart from thank you for your time invested here (and I'm telling you this from the heart!), can I ask you to change your OSD to a PINK (Or radical red as SMS might refer -inside joke- ) for better readability?

thanks a lot once again! :)

SMS PC Lead
20-06-2015, 03:23
AirplaneK8, apart from thank you for your time invested here (and I'm telling you this from the heart!), can I ask you to change your OSD to a PINK (Or radical red as SMS might refer -inside joke- ) for better readability?

I've emailed Ian this evening to request Airplanek8 gets an account on WMD/Project Cars 2 - although it's not been seen here, this sort of back of forth between comitted forum members is what WMD was all about and I'd like A8 to be part of the future community.

Airplanek8
20-06-2015, 03:23
Brands Hatch GP, 14:00 Local, Heavy Fog With Rain, Grass OFF, Reflections High.

Environment Ultra

Environment Low

Airplanek8
20-06-2015, 03:27

Oops! you told me a bit too late on the OSD color. I had just posted the last screens. I'll change it for future reference! Not radical-red though, SMS PC Lead hates it! :D

Edit: Never crossed my mind radical-red was a pinkish color! You learn something every day!

SMS PC Lead
20-06-2015, 03:45
Brands Hatch GP, 14:00 Local, Heavy Fog With Rain, Grass OFF, Reflections High.

Environment Ultra

Environment Low

Ok, So...

>> Brands Hatch GP, 14:00 Local, Heavy Fog With Rain, Grass OFF, Reflections High. Environment map at Low gives you 143FPS!

1. Firstly confirm this is still 4k (DSR 4x) - 143FPS is impressive?!
2. If this is the case turn off DSR in the NVIDA control panel and then select the AA mode "DS4X" - post a screenshot if possible. With the same settings I think you might be into the 150s
3. Keeping Environment map at Low - set grass to Low against 2) and see if there is any FPS impact.

Ian Bell
20-06-2015, 03:47
Oops! you told me a bit too late on the OSD color. I had just posted the last screens. I'll change it for future reference! Not radical-red though, SMS PC Lead hates it! :D

Edit: Never crossed my mind radical-red was a pinkish color! You learn something every day!

Thanks for your efforts here Airplanek8.

When we start early prototyping of pCARS2 I'd like to give you a free 100 pound account. Please remind me next week ;)

TrevorAustin
20-06-2015, 06:34
I was playing with my oculus settings earlier yesterday evening to try and smooth things out and turning my reflections from high to medium with my 970, in a race at brands hatch indy, 22 cars and rain, got me from an average of 58 to an average of 72, so i guess that's similar.

MULTIVITZ
20-06-2015, 13:58
Ok this is a big thread. I was going to get my PC upgraded to run this game, but delving into the technicalities put me off, with any PC gaming I would fear it.
Is there a flow chart stlye anywhere that could diagnose this complex matter, is anyone going to solidify any of these findings to help others get the best from what we have?
Its hard I know, but someone must have a handle on this!
Maybe a download section that has the recommended bios with comprehensive notes?

Airplanek8
20-06-2015, 14:21
Thanks for all the love guys! I never expected some kind of reward besides just figuring out why my 980Tis stink, but it's a nice start to be part of such a community! Thank you everyone!

SMS PC Lead, Yes. Still 4K! I gotta take care of a few things and then I'll get to testing the new request with DSR off and DSX4.

Airplanek8
20-06-2015, 16:38
Ok, So...

>> Brands Hatch GP, 14:00 Local, Heavy Fog With Rain, Grass OFF, Reflections High. Environment map at Low gives you 143FPS!

1. Firstly confirm this is still 4k (DSR 4x) - 143FPS is impressive?!
2. If this is the case turn off DSR in the NVIDA control panel and then select the AA mode "DS4X" - post a screenshot if possible. With the same settings I think you might be into the 150s
3. Keeping Environment map at Low - set grass to Low against 2) and see if there is any FPS impact.

Results: Constants: 1080P, Reflections High, Envrmnt Low, AA DS4X / Variable: Grass OFF / LOW

1080P, Reflections High, Envrmnt Low, Grass Off, AA DS4X

1080P, Reflections High, Envrmnt Low, Grass Low, AA DS4X

Looks like I get better performance in 4K? Image also looks better in 4K. Note the aliasing on the spoiler.

SMS PC Lead
20-06-2015, 17:31
Ok keep the grass and env map at low for now but stick with DSR.

Now test again with 0,10,20 and 30 AI. (Player last starting position)

pejx
20-06-2015, 17:38
SLI GTX 980 x2 1440p - If anyone's interested, I think I have FINALLY found the best settings...!

At 1440p with Full Rain weather conditions, 29 opponents, Brands Hatch Indy, BMW M3, I am getting an absolutely consistent 57-58 FPS (on all cameras), never dropping below 56 FPS. This is with all in-game visual settings maxed-out *except* the following:

AA: DS2M
FXAA: Off
SMAA: Medium
Reflections: High
Detailed Grass: High

The FPS line is so straight on the MSI Afterburner FPS graph that I think ProjectCars is capping at 58FPS even though my start-up options set the limit at 60FPS (see below). Or maybe there is some measurement difference?

Is this a good performance? I think so, but I'd like to hear others' experience with 2x GTX 980 in SLI @1440p. I have played around with the settings for the past few evenings, leading to various crashes and often frustratingly and inexplicably low FPS, and have come to the following conclusions:

1) Let the NVidia Control Panel (NVCP) do its thing.
Set NVCP to use the default ProjectCars profile (incl SLI settings). Do not change anything. Do not use V-Sync, even adaptive.
In the NVCP SLI setup tab, force PhysX onto your 2nd GPU, but otherwise leave as is - i.e. "Max 3D setting" (=alternate frame rendering).

2) Let GeForce Experience "Optimise" settings the way it wants, just once. Then close GeForce Experience.

3) Run Project Cars directly from a desktop shortcut pointing to "pCARS64.exe" with the options: -dx11mt -fpscap60. This forces DX11 multi-threading and caps FPS at 60 (my 27" IPS screen is only 60FPS)

4) Now change the in-game settings to max everything except the items listed at the top of this post. I think this is the best compromise for 1140p where heavy AA isn't needed.

Do not let GeForce Experience "optimise" things again, do not launch ProjectCars from GeForce Experience or directly from within Steam - only use the desktop shortcut with the command-line options (the desktop shortcut works for Steam versions too).

That's it. Runs silky smooth 57-58FPS, even in full rain or rainstorm. In the past few days I have tried many many other combinations of visual options and they have all either looked worse than this, or crippled the framerate under SLI (sometimes even when going to options that ought to be lighter on the GPUs, inexplicably).

I have to say I *LOVE* this game, especially with my new Logitech wheel and pedals :-)

My setup:
2x GTX 980 reference blower cards (one PNY, the other Zotac) overclocked by 200MHz to 1440MHz and memory overclocked 100MHz
Intel i7 4790K overclocked to 4.2GHz (stock cooler)
MSI Z97 Gaming 5 motherboard
16GB 1600MHz RAM
1TB HDD 7200RPM
Windows 8.1 64bit
Nvidia driver v353.06
Project Cars v1.0.1.4

Airplanek8
20-06-2015, 18:49
Ok keep the grass and env map at low for now but stick with DSR.

Now test again with 0,10,20 and 30 AI. (Player last starting position)

NOTE: I've added shadows to the OSD to see if it improves the quality... (Edit: Disregard, It throws off the FPS by about 20 which messes with the results. I'm keeping it off.)

Ok, Back to DSR 4K, FXAA HIGH, AA OFF, SMAA OFF; Everything Ultra except for: Reflections = High, Env = Low, Grass = Low (Azure Circuit 14:00 Local, Heavy fog with rain).

0 Opponents = 121 FPS

10 Opponents = 81FPS

20 Opponents = 69FPS

30 Opponents = 64FPS

Huge drop from 0 to 10. Why's that? Also, the GPU usage keeps dropping the more cars I add. CPU seems to stay around the same usage.

N0body Of The Goat
20-06-2015, 19:10
"ultra" car detail is ~300k polygons per car, "high" is ~60k, if I recall correctly.

BioForce
21-06-2015, 05:32
You can increase the font size in rivatuner for better reading :)

Rosster
21-06-2015, 12:08
I hate my first post here to be a bit of a whine but I'm rapidly losing patience with the performance of this game when it comes to SLI.

My Specs:

Intel 4690K (4.5Ghz)
8GB 2400mhz DDR3
Asus Strix 970 SLI (@1210 core, 1390 Boost, 7.5GHZ Memory)

Here is an example of what I mean using the following settings:

http://i.picpar.com/7Xyb.jpg

..not exactly pushing it for 970 SLI is it..

Start the race (only 12 cars BTW) 60fps:

http://i.picpar.com/8Xyb.jpg

GPU usage well within limits

..restart the race and this happens:

http://i.picpar.com/BXyb.jpg

Frame rate down by 15%, GPU usage down by 20%

TDP limits are also well within limits.

There is just no consistency to performance whatsoever...and I'm hardly even pushing my GPU's @1080p 'high' settings, I've spent the last 2 days trying every combination of Gfx settings but to no avail, it's just a waste of time TBH.

And this is just one example of how performance is all over the place from race to race, circuit to circuit, restart to restart...it makes it impossible to fine tune this game to give any kind of solid, consistent frame rate, and quite frankly I've had enough.:(

SLI support in this game is fundamentally broken.

watchout
21-06-2015, 12:31
Be careful what you say on here @Rooster lol.... This company cannot take true bad feedback. You will probably end up getting banned for complaining, just like the rest of us have, all they want is good feedback, soon as someone complains - ban hammer, they simply cannot take bad feedback, customer service is disgusting!

It's alright for them to sell us a "finished" product at full price, when it clearly isn't finished, and when people complain they do not like it. What do they honestly expect !!

Edit:: The devs seem to think the gpu usage issue is system related or a bottleneck - the fact is the graphical settings are completely messed up. If you crank the settings to the max with vsync off, you get higher gpu usage, but the moment you lower the settings down the gpu usage goes down, thus giving less fps is some cases. If you have v sync off in any other game your gpu will work at around 100% usage regardless to what graphical settings you choose, but not with pcars, but yet they still insist this is system related. Heck, this is only one of the 100s of issues, the greyed out drive bug in MP is extremely frustrating , 6 weeks after release and I still cannot seamlessly join a MP race without rejoining up to 5 times. This is nothing other than a broken unfinished beta game - I guess they started to run out of money, hence why they released it in this state.

Can you imagine buying something from Amazon, then complaining because they sold you something which was supposed to be new but it arrived used, Or even better, buying a Amazon TV Box, then discovering a lot of features didn't work or were riddled with bugs, then the director of Amazon says "You're a nutjob" when you complain. It just shows what type of company SMS is, they have no respect for their customers, Ian Bell is after one thing and one thing only, your MONEY.

I've seen some of Ian Bell's (head of SMS studio) comments on this forum which are pure lies - I posted something in rage the other day, to which he posted a comment aimed at me - "You know our lead PC coder spent hours helping this guy personally last night. You don't deserve to mix in decent company." Okay, 1. Your PC coder has never helped me or even replied to any of my comments (even though I've posted pages of testing graphs for you to look at). 2. Your company is not decent, it's a mess and your representatives attitude is discusting! So what you talking about? Your just trying to cover up your mess with lies.

Everyone who feel's like they have been robbed by this company should take a trip to trading standards, after all SMS have sold something which is not as described, not to mention false advertising pre-order DLC content which some never even received, so they claimed it was a typo on their website.

F1Aussie
21-06-2015, 14:05
I don't feel robbed at all, I think the game us superb and use have not been having any of these issues that people are getting wound up about. Me thinks a ban is coming someone's way.

Aldo Zampatti
21-06-2015, 17:08
Rosster, your post is perfectly understandable. As you can see in this thread, PC Render Lead is directly involved in order to get to the bottom of it and as I said, knowing him I can bet my life that he will.

Please keep an eye around here and if you can help us further and you're willing to, please do as per SMS PC RENDER LEAD request if he ask for. We would truly appreciate this.

I'm away from my laptoo (on mobile now) But I'll will help you directly to get better performance meanwhile this gets troubleshooted in this thread. This will be over PM to keep this thread clean. PM me tonight so i don't forget.
Thanks!

For the others, if your posts are not helpful or considered out of order, we will issue warnings and bans. SMS WILL help everyone who is willing to be helped. For those, consider this as a final warning

SwiftyOne
21-06-2015, 17:59
For the others, if your posts are not helpful or considered out of order, we will issue warnings and bans. SMS WILL help everyone who is willing to be helped. For those, consider this as a final warning

I can't name any other game forum, where you get direct help from the Developers themselves, let alone the head of Studio, offering help to those that ask for it...Our game may have issues, just like any other game out there, name 1 that doesn't, the BIG difference here is, the Developers are willing to work with you, to help with any issues..Please help them to help you!!

Richard Hammond
21-06-2015, 18:05

Okay so people who put in many tiring hours of troubleshooting (100+ posts over the course of a week), posting graphs and what not; then finally when a dev pipes up 6 weeks later he doesn't even acknowledge the member who put all the effort into posting all those testing result graphs for YOU devs. This member gets pee-ed off that the dev has nothing to say about the testing results, thus still being in the same situation for the past 6 weeks (not being able to play the game), which causes the member to post a rage comment then gets banned for speaking the truth.

"Lets ban members who provide a lot of useful debugging graphs for the devs to just fob them off and call them nutjobs" - Pffffftt, shocking company!

P.s banning doesn't achieve anything, it takes under 30 seconds to make a new account - It just makes your company look even more pathetic.

SwiftyOne
21-06-2015, 18:18
Okay so people who put in many tiring hours of troubleshooting (100+ posts over the course of a week), posting graphs and what not; then finally when a dev pipes up 6 weeks later he doesn't even acknowledge the member who put all the effort into posting all those testing result graphs for YOU devs. This member gets pee-ed off that the dev has nothing to say about the testing results, thus still being in the same situation for the past 6 weeks (not being able to play the game), which causes the member to post a rage comment then gets banned for speaking the truth.

"Lets ban members who provide a lot of useful debugging graphs for the devs to just fob them off and call them nutjobs" - Pffffftt, shocking company!

P.s banning doesn't achieve anything, it takes under 30 seconds to make a new account - It just makes your company look even more pathetic.

Now can we please calm down :) You first post doesn't achieve anything either...What kind of issue are you having with the game?

MULTIVITZ
21-06-2015, 18:30
PC biulds are so diverse a custom bios is the only way to get this game running for some. Imo
Alot of people I know have built thier PC for this game!
I have a friend who plays another game on his ps4 and is getting blue screening with no error code, Sony can't help him, he's tried everything to rectify it, but no joy. Support can only go so far, maybe handing the PC over to one of those private computer engineers could solve the issues with running this game.
You'd think a refund would be easier in this day and age. People get banned for breaking the forum rules, simple. The threads are not deleted afterwards and are there for all to see. Try not to get too upset, make some polite emails, you never know.

Richard Hammond
21-06-2015, 18:35
I can't name any other game forum, where you get direct help from the Developers themselves, let alone the head of Studio, offering help to those that ask for it...Our game may have issues, just like any other game out there, name 1 that doesn't, the BIG difference here is, the Developers are willing to work with you, to help with any issues..Please help them to help you!!

I can't name any game forum where members get banned for providing their honest opinion on the game especially after providing pages after pages of testing results. If the developers are willing to help with issues, then why do they just ignore the original poster who has provided over 100 posts showing graphs etc? If the developers are willing to help, then why do they request members to be banned if they post a rage comment after not being acknowledged for all the testing they done for the company?

What kind of company's lead representative calls one of their customers a nutjob after all the help that customer has provided?

This companies attitude and motives stink, and I'm not the only one to think this, look around on many other forums.

MULTIVITZ
21-06-2015, 18:49
Just wait for the next patch. Each time the game is improved more stability is made. I would take it to a specialist and get a free estimate to what the problem might be, then use that to get a refund if its software related. I consider myself a engine diagnostic tuner, but theres times when a second pair of eyes solves problems! Getting yourself upset is not a good thing to do to the people around you. It seldom helps.
I'm well aware of the problems, and I don't work here lol. Most of them are technical anomalies associated with hardware compatibility, and software compatability provided by third parties, not SMS!

Richard Hammond
21-06-2015, 18:52
Try not to get too upset, make some polite emails, you never know.

I'm not upset, the fact is they cannot take a bit of criticism and honest opinions from their customers so they ban them and anyone who likes the comments. Imagine Amazon banning customers who review their products negatively!!! This is just a bad company from the ground up. First they release a unfinished game because they clearly ran out of money to fund the project, they then false advertise pre order dlc causing some customers not to receive this dlc, they then ban people who provide good useful testing results who eventually get fed up due to no acknowledgment from the devs. SMS are the ones who have dug themselves into this hole, and it's clearly getting to them, hence banning anyone with a negative opinion.

Richard Hammond
21-06-2015, 18:53
You say wait for the next patch, but I paid full price for the game...... I could have waited until these bugs were all ironed out then grabbed the game at a much lower price ! Rather than unknowingly buying a beta game on release day - Again false advertising at it's best.

PzR Slim
21-06-2015, 18:55
This is weird, I'm running GTX780Ti's in SLi with everything maxed at 3440 x 1440 and I'm getting GPU Usage of 95 - 99% on both GPU's.

PzR Slim
21-06-2015, 18:57
You say wait for the next patch, but I paid full price for the game...... I could have waited until these bugs were all ironed out then grabbed the game at a much lower price ! Rather than unknowingly buying a beta game on release day.

Nope, they ban any one who is offensive, abusive or who is not helping the situation. Can you name any other game where so many members of the dev team post on the forums to try and help people work through their problems. You can see it happening in this very thread. Act like a dick and you will get banned, act in a reasonable manner and you will be listened to and helped.

Richard Hammond
21-06-2015, 18:58
This is weird, I'm running GTX780Ti's in SLi with everything maxed at 3440 x 1440 and I'm getting GPU Usage of 95 - 99% on both GPU's.

As we have mentioned on previous comments this issue doesn't seem to effect everyone but there is a lot of people who are suffering from this.

Mahjik
21-06-2015, 18:59
Guys, let's keep this on topic. The recent conversation has nothing to do with this topic.

Richard Hammond
21-06-2015, 19:01
Nope, they ban any one who is offensive, abusive or who is not helping the situation. Can you name any other game where so many members of the dev team post on the forums to try and help people work through their problems. You can see it happening in this very thread. Act like a dick and you will get banned, act in a reasonable manner and you will be listened to and helped.

If you would call someone who has posted over 100 comments on this thread showing loads of various testing results a dick, only to get blanked by the devs, which caused the member to get pssed off and banned, then you are clearly a brown nose. If anything it's the dev's who made the dick move for not helping those who originally established this issue.

MULTIVITZ
21-06-2015, 19:06
If you really really want to play this game, sell your PC on Ebay or free ads, and put some more money in and start agian? It's only a suggestion, moaning about it just creates bad energy that can effect your life in more ways you can imagine. I don't live in a monkey see money do world, I live in my world. There's nothing else for us to do. Keep the forum upto date with any outcomes, but try not to moan eh. I know it's frustrating, can't you go around a mates and play it?
Are you sure your power supply is supplying enough watts?

PzR Slim
21-06-2015, 19:07
As we have mentioned on previous comments this issue doesn't seem to effect everyone but there is a lot of people who are suffering from this.

So the fact that it only affects some people probably tells you that it's not that easy a problem to diagnose or fix. You have a dev active in the thread doing his best to get to the bottom of it and fix it. What more do you want them to do. Patience is a virtue. Do you think behaving in an abusive manner is going to help the situation.

Richard Hammond
21-06-2015, 19:08
Why should I build a whole new PC when my PC runs every single other game perfectly fine. This issue amongst every other issue with this game is nothing to do with my system, otherwise I would be the only person having this issue (when I'm not!)

MULTIVITZ
21-06-2015, 19:10
Pcars is no ordinary game!
I think it uses two cores just to calculate the tyres!

Richard Hammond
21-06-2015, 19:12
So the fact that it only affects some people probably tells you that it's not that easy a problem to diagnose or fix. You have a dev active in the thread doing his best to get to the bottom of it and fix it. What more do you want them to do. Patience is a virtue. Do you think behaving in an abusive manner is going to help the situation.

See what I mean? You and the majority of the WMD members are rammed so far up there that you have no idea what your talking about. Please tell me exactly where I was abusive before I got banned?

I posted "@SMS PC LEAD please take your time to read through the whole thread and you will see I have been through every possible scenario to troubleshoot this issue - everything you are suggesting has already been tested with graphs showing the outcome. There is absolutely no bottleneck."

Heard absolutely nothing, just straight up blanked. After posting 100 comments the devs just weren't interested, and didn't even say "hey, thanks for all the testing, can you now try this?"

I then asked for a "beta badge" for all the testing I had done for them, and explained how poor the performance was still, then the big man Ian Bell pipes and and requests me to be banned and those who liked my comment.

I'm a dick? Madness.... I'll tell you whose a dick, and a bloody massive one aswel..................

MULTIVITZ
21-06-2015, 19:16
I am limited with my time. You need a PC engineer mate, simple. Hope things work out for you.

Richard Hammond
21-06-2015, 19:19
Ha ha ha a pc eningeer lmao. Because this PC is not able run all other games perfectly fine........?!?!?! :cool:

SwiftyOne
21-06-2015, 19:19

My systems over three years old now...With x2 780 in Sli, plus 3 x2560x1440 was getting 70-85fps GPU 95-99 same...it's weird for me too :)

PzR Slim
21-06-2015, 21:17
See what I mean? You and the majority of the WMD members are rammed so far up there that you have no idea what your talking about. Please tell me exactly where I was abusive before I got banned?

I posted "@SMS PC LEAD please take your time to read through the whole thread and you will see I have been through every possible scenario to troubleshoot this issue - everything you are suggesting has already been tested with graphs showing the outcome. There is absolutely no bottleneck."

Heard absolutely nothing, just straight up blanked. After posting 100 comments the devs just weren't interested, and didn't even say "hey, thanks for all the testing, can you now try this?"

I then asked for a "beta badge" for all the testing I had done for them, and explained how poor the performance was still, then the big man Ian Bell pipes and and requests me to be banned and those who liked my comment.

I'm a dick? Madness.... I'll tell you whose a dick, and a bloody massive one aswel..................

Care to point out where I accused you of being abusive or calling you a dick? I didn't. I was speaking generally about the reasons I have personally seen people getting banned on here. But hey you carry on ;)

And just to ask, do you think saying I'm 'rammed' and insinuating that you think I'm a 'dick' and 'a bloody massive one aswel' as being abusive and insulting towards me?

Mahjik
21-06-2015, 21:24
Enough guys. Any more posts OT and I'll start cleaning up the thread. If you aren't helping with the SLI GPU usage concerns, please take it to PM's or another thread that is actually related.

SMS PC Lead
21-06-2015, 22:09
Pcars is no ordinary game!
I think it uses two cores just to calculate the tyres!

Indeed but not quite - let's not forget that the AMD/NVIDIA driver thread takes another whole core and then the actual main game e.g. AI and render calculations on the main core.... then we have audio mixing, real-time engine sound generation and many other threads over all these CPU cores...

SMS PC Lead
21-06-2015, 22:22
NOTE: I've added shadows to the OSD to see if it improves the quality... (Edit: Disregard, It throws off the FPS by about 20 which messes with the results. I'm keeping it off.)

Ok, Back to DSR 4K, FXAA HIGH, AA OFF, SMAA OFF; Everything Ultra except for: Reflections = High, Env = Low, Grass = Low (Azure Circuit 14:00 Local, Heavy fog with rain).

0 Opponents = 121 FPS

10 Opponents = 81FPS

20 Opponents = 69FPS

30 Opponents = 64FPS

Huge drop from 0 to 10. Why's that? Also, the GPU usage keeps dropping the more cars I add. CPU seems to stay around the same usage.

So, this drop from 0 to 10 - it's actually rendering 20 cars, because of the reflections, but that does seem a bit high. But again, bare with me - the 30 AI case is at 64FPS with low env-map. So could you repeat that with medium and high env-map with all the settings the same - and post screen-shots. This will help be diagnose whether it is CPU or SLI transfer bottleneck.

SMS PC Lead
21-06-2015, 22:30

I read the whole thread - there is a bottleneck. Stop for a second, if there wasn't an issue with the driver, some PC system specific issues or our code, then everything would be at 100%. So what do you have to lose here but engage rather than be disruptiv and help us, NVIDIA or the community to diagnose the issue? I just don't get the negativitiy - happy to take the responsiblity for not nailing the now nearly 200,000 PC systems that are running our game to 95% instead of 98%.

Airplanek8
22-06-2015, 01:15
So, this drop from 0 to 10 - it's actually rendering 20 cars, because of the reflections, but that does seem a bit high. But again, bare with me - the 30 AI case is at 64FPS with low env-map. So could you repeat that with medium and high env-map with all the settings the same - and post screen-shots. This will help be diagnose whether it is CPU or SLI transfer bottleneck.

Ok, Copa America kept me busy today! Colombia vs. Argentina on Friday! See you at Viña del Mar, Aldo! :D

Back to business. Keeping settings equal per your last post: DSR 4K, FXAA HIGH, AA OFF, SMAA OFF; Everything Ultra except for: Reflections = High, Grass = Low (Azure Circuit 14:00 Local, heavy fog w/rain) VARIABLE: ENVRMNT MED/HIGH.

Env Medium, 0 Opponents
Env Medium, 10 Opponents
Env Medium, 20 Opponents
Env Medium, 30 Opponents
Env High, 0 Opponents
Env High, 10 Opponents
Env High, 20 Opponents
Env High, 30 Opponents

Aldo Zampatti
22-06-2015, 01:49
For your delight, Look where I was just yesterday ;)
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg311/aldozampatti/20150620_172256_zpsgnst0f4r.jpg~original

MULTIVITZ
22-06-2015, 02:09
I'm so delighted now:rolleyes:
Just look at that hairy arm!

Airplanek8
22-06-2015, 03:24
Haha, nice! :cool:

F1Aussie
22-06-2015, 09:31
in the crowd at some soccer game?

Grassy
22-06-2015, 11:29
If you guys need any extra help I can give you a hand as well. I also have sli 980 Ti's and low GPU usage in PCars.

Joeri Blootacker
22-06-2015, 11:53
i upped everything to Ultra, except reflections which are on high, and am getting much more GPU usage on my SLI rig. (2 x 970GTX's in SLI with a old 2600k CPU ;) )
locked 80+fps @ 1080p

lowering env to Hig or Med is giving me worse results than Ultra, same for detailed grass ! and i'm getting stuttering then.
with my current settings, no stuttering and much better and frametimes are alot more stable as well.

SMS PC Lead
22-06-2015, 12:30
Ok, Copa America kept me busy today! Colombia vs. Argentina on Friday! See you at Viña del Mar, Aldo! :D

Back to business. Keeping settings equal per your last post: DSR 4K, FXAA HIGH, AA OFF, SMAA OFF; Everything Ultra except for: Reflections = High, Grass = Low (Azure Circuit 14:00 Local, heavy fog w/rain) VARIABLE: ENVRMNT MED/HIGH.

Env Medium, 0 Opponents
Env Medium, 10 Opponents
Env Medium, 20 Opponents
Env Medium, 30 Opponents
Env High, 0 Opponents
Env High, 10 Opponents
Env High, 20 Opponents
Env High, 30 Opponents

Ok thanks - that last set of tests has effectively ruled out:

>> 4. SLI inter-GPU transfers. With SLI as you know each GPU handles renders alternate frames. However, quite often with modern rendering techniques the *result* of one frames rendering must be used in the next. This is a problem because the second GPU is rendering the next frame - therefore in order to give the correct rendering result it must be transferred e.g. the GPUs must be synchronized. If the volume of the data to transfer takes longer than the frame-time then idle time will be produced while the GPUs wait for the transfer.

However it does seem that the Ultra detailed grass setting is still causing 4) at least on some systems. So lowering the detailed grass setting to High should be the first action for SLI users experiencing any form of stuttering.

I need to do a few tests here next to see if I can reproduce the reduced GPU usage as the number of AI increases. Meanwhile if you could repeat the 0,10,20,30 AI tests again in dry conditions (Reflections High, Envmap High and grass off, everything else Ultra).

Mahjik
22-06-2015, 12:39
If you guys need any extra help I can give you a hand as well. I also have sli 980 Ti's and low GPU usage in PCars.

Follow along and post results for the specific tests likes Airplanek8 is doing, but also list your system specs.

b_akerlite
22-06-2015, 13:04
apologies for basic question -
Is that afterburner that gives system usage info in pink writing at top left of previous screenshots or some other utlitiy?
thanks in advance

Joeri Blootacker
22-06-2015, 13:25
apologies for basic question -
Is that afterburner that gives system usage info in pink writing at top left of previous screenshots or some other utlitiy?
thanks in advance

Yes, Afterburner can do that for you indeed ;)

Klunt Bumskrint
22-06-2015, 16:57
So I have SLI and have GPU utilisation problems also.
Not all the time though I haven't noticed a pattern. My last play, I pulled out the pit as normal and after about 30 secs my GPU's were at 40%!! and it wasn't even raining.

Specs:

5930K @ 4.2MHz
EVGA Titan X SC SLI
RVE
16Gb Gskill 2666MHz

Game installed on SSD
Nvidia Driver 353.12

I posted on the steam forum and was directed here:cool:

funknerraw
22-06-2015, 18:20
So I have SLI and have GPU utilisation problems also.
Not all the time though I haven't noticed a pattern. My last play, I pulled out the pit as normal and after about 30 secs my GPU's were at 40%!! and it wasn't even raining.

Specs:

5930K @ 4.2MHz
EVGA Titan X SC SLI
RVE
16Gb Gskill 2666MHz

Game installed on SSD
Nvidia Driver 353.12

I posted on the steam forum and was directed here:cool:

I've had the same thing with my GTX 980 SLI occasionally, and when that happens if I quit and restart the entire game it usually fixes it. I've noticed sometimes when that happens when I look at my GPU monitoring software usually something happened and for whatever reason my GPU was running at a slower clock speed. Restarting the game though usually makes it go back up to speed, but I have had to restart my entire PC before when just restarting the game didn't work.

Airplanek8
22-06-2015, 19:16

>> 4. SLI inter-GPU transfers. With SLI as you know each GPU handles renders alternate frames. However, quite often with modern rendering techniques the *result* of one frames rendering must be used in the next. This is a problem because the second GPU is rendering the next frame - therefore in order to give the correct rendering result it must be transferred e.g. the GPUs must be synchronized. If the volume of the data to transfer takes longer than the frame-time then idle time will be produced while the GPUs wait for the transfer.

However it does seem that the Ultra detailed grass setting is still causing 4) at least on some systems. So lowering the detailed grass setting to High should be the first action for SLI users experiencing any form of stuttering.

I need to do a few tests here next to see if I can reproduce the reduced GPU usage as the number of AI increases. Meanwhile if you could repeat the 0,10,20,30 AI tests again in dry conditions (Reflections High, Envmap High and grass off, everything else Ultra).

I noticed new NVIDIA drivers are out today: 353.30 - WHQL. Would you like me to update or keep them as they are while we finish conducting the tests? I'm guessing you don't want to introduce new elements until you've reached conclusions?

MrPix
22-06-2015, 19:20
I've noticed sometimes when that happens when I look at my GPU monitoring software usually something happened and for whatever reason my GPU was running at a slower clock speed. Restarting the game though usually makes it go back up to speed, but I have had to restart my entire PC before when just restarting the game didn't work.There are a few triggers which 'throttle' the GPU speed on Nvidia cards and the newer they are the more sensitive as far as I can tell. The 2 common ones are hitting the thermal threshold and/or the TDP limit. In either case, the GPU is clever and goes in to self protect mode, reduces the GPU speed and trundles on. unless it is reset it seems to remain at the lower speed. Restarting the game will put the Graphics driver back to 2D mode and then back to 3D mode effectively resetting the graphics card/driver.

A good way to observe this and any other GPU throttling is to use the graph function of monitoring programs such as MSI afterburner or EVGA Precision X and look at coinciding events... monitor GPU temperature, Power % (TDP) and Core Clock Mhz (GPU speed). You can also monitor the triggers to see when they are tripped, with Afterburner, (not sure about EVGA) they are labelled as Temp Limit, Power Limit and Voltage Limit if they go from 0 to 1, then they have been tripped, no question!

SMS PC Lead
22-06-2015, 23:25
I noticed new NVIDIA drivers are out today: 353.30 - WHQL. Would you like me to update or keep them as they are while we finish conducting the tests? I'm guessing you don't want to introduce new elements until you've reached conclusions?

Keep the current driver!

Airplanek8
23-06-2015, 01:36

4K DSR, FXAA High, SMAA OFF, AA OFF, Reflections High, Env High, Grass Off, Everything else Ultra (Azure Circuit, 14:00 Local, Light Clouds).

0 Opponents

10 Opponents

20 Opponents

30 Opponents

SMS PC Lead
23-06-2015, 02:30
4K DSR, FXAA High, SMAA OFF, AA OFF, Reflections High, Env High, Grass Off, Everything else Ultra (Azure Circuit, 14:00 Local, Light Clouds).

0 Opponents

10 Opponents

20 Opponents

30 Opponents

Ok thanks - one last test - repeat the above but settings Shadows to Off.

Airplanek8
23-06-2015, 03:01
4K DSR, FXAA High, SMAA OFF, AA OFF, Reflections High, Env High, Grass Off, Everything else Ultra, Shadows OFF (Azure Circuit, 14:00 Local, Light Clouds).

0 Opponents

10 Opponents

20 Opponents

30 Opponents

Ramjet
24-06-2015, 16:28
Awesome job you guys are doing troubleshooting this issue, keenly following to see the outcome, good luck ! :D

Airplanek8
24-06-2015, 23:18
SMS PC Lead, let me know when we're done with this batch of tests so that I may proceed to install the new Nvidia driver. I'm hoping to get some improvement with the drivers so I can finally play the game.

Regards!

Traummann
25-06-2015, 08:29
i want to help as well :(

Airplanek8
25-06-2015, 23:56
I thought I'd seen something as part of my imagination, but it turned out to be true. I did some googling and found some threads on this:

The hud is reducing about 20FPS. According to the screens below, it's the minimap, position display or a combination of both. I'll leave it to the software engineers!

FULL HUD OFF = 105FPS = GPU USAGE 86%

FULL HUD ON = 86FPS = GPU USAGE 73%

REARVIEW OFF = 86FPS = GPU USAGE 73%

Minimap, Position Display and Rearview OFF = 103FPS = GPU USAGE 86%

TELEMETRY ON = 95FPS = GPU USAGE 79%

Ramjet
26-06-2015, 03:37
Sounds like a significant find there airplanek8 !

N0body Of The Goat
26-06-2015, 07:51
I thought I'd seen something as part of my imagination, but it turned out to be true. I did some googling and found some threads on this:

The hud is reducing about 20FPS. According to the screens below, it's the minimap, position display or a combination of both. I'll leave it to the software engineers!

FULL HUD OFF = 105FPS = GPU USAGE 86%

FULL HUD ON = 86FPS = GPU USAGE 73%

REARVIEW OFF = 86FPS = GPU USAGE 73%

Minimap, Position Display and Rearview OFF = 103FPS = GPU USAGE 86%

TELEMETRY ON = 95FPS = GPU USAGE 79%

This was spotted and reported during WMD testing, but I could not remember off-hand what caused this drop.

Possibly not the exclusive cause, but "chase cam" suffers from fps drop with anything except the basic HUD that by default is found in the bottom-right corner. With "ultra" track/car/shadows; "rain drops;" particles "low" in thunderstorm at Monaco with just my BMW M3 GT, my fps drops from 40 to 32 in chase cam on pole position start grid.*

Cockpit cam does not suffer from this, at least on my pc, fps stays at 38 in the above scenario.

*On Windows 10, build 10130 with default build driver and 1040 DLL files in pCARS root folder. I could not dream of using such high settings with that fps in Windows 8.1 in the rain!

Calvin
29-06-2015, 21:36
I have 980s in SLI and the game utilises 30% of both cards on ultra. There is clearly an issue and it needs to be fixed. Lazy coding no doubt. Ill await an update or not play the game.

Thanks

*EDIT* I upped the SMAA to Ultra and the AA to D4X (Or what ever it is) and my performance increased greatly and upto 80% of the cards were being used. This doesnt make sense but im happy with it.

Interestingly if you view car stats in Solo Race the GPU usage goes to 98% on both cards and i pull in 125fps. Poor optimisation i believe.

Airplanek8
29-06-2015, 21:53
I have 980s in SLI and the game utilises 30% of both cards on ultra. There is clearly an issue and it needs to be fixed. Lazy coding no doubt. Ill await an update or not play the game.

Thanks

Calvin, please provide your PC specs.

Regards

Calvin
29-06-2015, 21:57
Ive provided an edit on my original post but its still a little confusing.

Specs are as follows:

Win 8.1 Pro
i7 2600K OCed to 4.4ghz
16gb RAM
2x MSI 980 Ref OCed to 1480mhz. Latest Drivers
AX850 PSU
1080P 120htz no V sync

Please visit my Steam profile to view screen shot of the car viewing and GPUs at 98%

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=472050412

Airplanek8
29-06-2015, 22:03
Ive provided an edit on my original post but its still a little confusing.

Specs are as follows:

Win 8.1 Pro
i7 2600K OCed to 4.4ghz
16gb RAM
2x MSI 980 Ref OCed to 1480mhz. Latest Drivers
AX850 PSU
1080P 120htz no V sync

Please visit my Steam profile to view screen shot of the car viewing and GPUs at 98%

I forgot to ask you. If you could, please trace back a little on this thread to my conversations with SMS PC Lead, and maybe try to replicate some of my tests with his indications and post the screens. I'm sure this would help them. Also, your in-game settings and Nvidia control panel settings.

I'm on the same boat as you, waiting for this to be fixed. Let's be hopeful! :cool:

Calvin
29-06-2015, 22:06
Sure thing. Im off to bed now (In UK) but ill do some stuff tomorrow. Ill also post my settings ingame and you can try and match.

Airplanek8
29-06-2015, 22:09

Thanks

*EDIT* I upped the SMAA to Ultra and the AA to D4X (Or what ever it is) and my performance increased greatly and upto 80% of the cards were being used. This doesnt make sense but im happy with it.

Interestingly if you view car stats in Solo Race the GPU usage goes to 98% on both cards and i pull in 125fps. Poor optimisation i believe.

These are good things to test. Let's wait for SMS to see what they think of this.