PDA

View Full Version : SLI discussion thread

Pages : 1 2 [3]

nolag
30-06-2015, 11:26
I have 980s in SLI and the game utilises 30% of both cards on ultra. There is clearly an issue and it needs to be fixed. Lazy coding no doubt. Ill await an update or not play the game.

Thanks

*EDIT* I upped the SMAA to Ultra and the AA to D4X (Or what ever it is) and my performance increased greatly and upto 80% of the cards were being used. This doesnt make sense but im happy with it.

Interestingly if you view car stats in Solo Race the GPU usage goes to 98% on both cards and i pull in 125fps. Poor optimisation i believe.

This doesn't sound like poor optimisation, but quite the opposite. You did the right thing and used the remaining GPU power to do proper AA. Only NVidia knows what the GPU load really means. This measurement is not sufficient to make good assumptions about what is going on in the many stages of the GPU.

Calvin
30-06-2015, 11:58
This doesn't sound like poor optimisation, but quite the opposite. You did the right thing and used the remaining GPU power to do proper AA. Only NVidia knows what the GPU load really means. This measurement is not sufficient to make good assumptions about what is going on in the many stages of the GPU.

That's a fair thing to say about Gpu usage but I have a couple of questions for you.

Why does the fps increase by 20% when upping the aa settings?

Why would a separate screen in the menu pull 98% gpu power out of the cards and the 'in race' usage be worse?

Why does a single 980 perform at 98% usage in race and also perform another 20% better in the form of fps than the same cards in Sli?

It sounds like a mix of inconsistent optimisation and Sli drivers

nolag
30-06-2015, 12:42
That's a fair thing to say about Gpu usage but I have a couple of questions for you.

Why does the fps increase by 20% when upping the aa settings?

Why would a separate screen in the menu pull 98% gpu power out of the cards and the 'in race' usage be worse?

Why does a single 980 perform at 98% usage in race and also perform another 20% better in the form of fps than the same cards in Sli?

It sounds like a mix of inconsistent optimisation and Sli drivers

I agree that there is something odd going on but SLI can produce very inconsistent results depending on the system and game engine. It might be that just your old PCIe 2.0 based system is bottlenecking in SLI with this game engine that pushes so many draw calls. You should also make sure that core parking is disabled on your system (eg. disable C6 state in the BIOS).

Calvin
30-06-2015, 15:14
I agree that there is something odd going on but SLI can produce very inconsistent results depending on the system and game engine. It might be that just your old PCIe 2.0 based system is bottlenecking in SLI with this game engine that pushes so many draw calls. You should also make sure that core parking is disabled on your system (eg. disable C6 state in the BIOS).

Thanks for the suggestions. I have already unparked cores for games such as BF4 years ago but i will recheck them anyway just incase some sort of update reset it back to default.

The comment about PCIe 2.0 bottlenecking modern day GPUs unfortunately demonstrates your lack of understanding when it comes to available bandwidth on these connections. Modern day cards are no where near pushing even a PCIe 1.1 16x slot let alone PCIe 2.0 16x which is the equivalent of a PCIe 1.1 32x slot.

I do not wish to appear rude but I insist that you please educate yourself about PCIe bandwidth before making flippant comments about what you think it 'might' be.

Below is an informative link to get you started -

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/pci_express_scaling_game_performance_analysis_review,1.html

The difference is negligible.

I think one thing is certainly clear, although some of the comments on this topic are needless or trolling, most are from genuine issues with people running SLI configs and 51 pages of them certainly will not be down to ingame settings or Nvidia control panel settings.

nolag
30-06-2015, 16:17
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/pci_express_scaling_game_performance_analysis_review,1.html

The difference is negligible.

I know that article and it is unfortunate that there are just 2 games with a modernized engines in there "Shadow of Mordor" and "Alien Isolation". So this test is not representative for the latest next-gen engines that are using more bandwidth. Your system is only running PCIe 2.0 8x8 which should be equivalent to PCIe 1.1 16x16. The difference in both titles is close to 10% comparing 1.1 to 2.0 and even higher for 3.0. The difference in "Thief" is even 17%. It is expected that the difference will increase with dx12. This game uses the possibility to push more draw calls that has been implemented in nvidias wonder drivers so this is representative of what you can expect from more games in the future. The article concludes that PCIe 2.0 16x16 is preferrable and just the difference between PCIe 2.0 and 3.0 is negligible.

Calvin
30-06-2015, 16:51
Good stuff :). Although i do not disagree that there is some difference in performance at higher frame rates, this goes nowhere near to explaining the issues mentioned above. I am also running in 1080p and not 1440p so the memory/bandwidth usage will be less.

I think we maybe getting slightly off topic here also. If i was to upgrade my MoBo to X99 and my Processor to one that facilitates more PCIe lanes the overall fact is i will not see performance like i do on a single 980 with this game. If i benchmark SOM with everything maxed including textures i max out my memory at over 4GB. Does this tank my frames? No. I still get an average of around 150fps after the benchmark. None of this is an exact science unfortunately.

Before a continue to drone on i think the work to help resolve this issue is encouraging and i welcome any tips or tricks i can apply or test to help resolve the problems experienced by players using SLI.

Alternatively we could all soon download and install a new update from Nvidia and all of our problems with Pcars disappear. I will wait patiently with baited breath.

Airplanek8
30-06-2015, 19:50
Well, I'd gotten really excited for patch 2.0, but GPU performance is still at its knees.

Anyways, thanks for trying. Not that I was told 2.0 would help my situation, but hope is last to die. I'll wait for the next patch. :dispirited:

PzR Slim
30-06-2015, 21:47
Strange but after Patch 2.0 my GPU usage seems to have nose dived. I was getting between 93 - 98% on both GPU's but now I'm in the 60 - 80% range.

Airplanek8
30-06-2015, 22:02
Strange but after Patch 2.0 my GPU usage seems to have nose dived. I was getting between 93 - 98% on both GPU's but now I'm in the 60 - 80% range.

Are you at your desired FPS cap though? Is your Vsync enabled?

PzR Slim
30-06-2015, 23:06
Are you at your desired FPS cap though? Is your Vsync enabled?

No, I have Vsync turned off and have not set an fps cap.

TrevorAustin
30-06-2015, 23:19
My single GPU framerate has also reduced, not loads, but definitely reduced, but that is in RIFT only, no idea in 2D.

Simon Mallett
30-06-2015, 23:35
strange just tested mine and with the setting in my sig I get 99% on both and 130fps with vsync off and with 20 cars at spa?
It does drop a bit when vsync turned and on fps fixed at 60, but looks good and no stutters or drop form the 60.

latest drivers

anyone else on an X99 chip with pcie 3.0 x16 x16 and 40 lane cpu, can comment?

Calvin
01-07-2015, 08:20
Ive seen a few vids where people have had to run in windowed mode to get the most out of SLI. Has anyone tried this?

PzR Slim
01-07-2015, 11:54
No, I have Vsync turned off and have not set an fps cap.

Had a chance to play a bit more this morning and have found the problem. I have two monitors attached to my PC one a ROG 27" with G-Sync and the other, which I play PCars on, a Samsung 34" 21:9 without G-Sync. I also yesterday updated to the latest driver. I noticed that if I ran PCars on the ROG I could get 144 fps with 99% GPU usage on both GPU's, at the same settings that were resulting in only 60-80% GPU usage and a much reduced fps on the Samsung monitor. I turned G-Sync off in the control panel and GPU usage returned to 99% and 130+fps on the samsung. I'm pretty sure, but not certain, that G-Sync was turned on before the newest driver update and Patch 2.0. However, with GPU usage at 99% the game crashed after a short period of play on the Samsung. If I enable V-Sync in game I get a much smooth 60 fps and a much more stable game, however, for obvious reasons GPU is reduced.

I have no idea what any of this means other than a none G-Sync monitor doesn't appear to like G-Sync turned on in the control panel after Patch 2.0 and I'm pretty sure that was not the case before patch 2.0. Also the crashes with 99% GPU were not happening before Patch 2.0

Traummann
01-07-2015, 17:51
Ive seen a few vids where people have had to run in windowed mode to get the most out of SLI. Has anyone tried this?

MSAA is not working in window mode.
SLI also scales badly in window mode

Airplanek8
01-07-2015, 18:12
Had a chance to play a bit more this morning and have found the problem. I have two monitors attached to my PC one a ROG 27" with G-Sync and the other, which I play PCars on, a Samsung 34" 21:9 without G-Sync. I also yesterday updated to the latest driver. I noticed that if I ran PCars on the ROG I could get 144 fps with 99% GPU usage on both GPU's, at the same settings that were resulting in only 60-80% GPU usage and a much reduced fps on the Samsung monitor. I turned G-Sync off in the control panel and GPU usage returned to 99% and 130+fps on the samsung. I'm pretty sure, but not certain, that G-Sync was turned on before the newest driver update and Patch 2.0. However, with GPU usage at 99% the game crashed after a short period of play on the Samsung. If I enable V-Sync in game I get a much smooth 60 fps and a much more stable game, however, for obvious reasons GPU is reduced.

I have no idea what any of this means other than a none G-Sync monitor doesn't appear to like G-Sync turned on in the control panel after Patch 2.0 and I'm pretty sure that was not the case before patch 2.0. Also the crashes with 99% GPU were not happening before Patch 2.0

I don't use Gsync and still experience the poor GPU usage.

Calvin
01-07-2015, 20:06

Fair enough. This game really is broken (for some)

PzR Slim
01-07-2015, 20:08
I don't use Gsync and still experience the poor GPU usage.

Sorry, I should have said 'The problem for myself'.

Ramjet
02-07-2015, 08:06
Where go the SMS guy that was helping out here ?

SMS PC Lead
02-07-2015, 11:04

MSAA works correctly in windowed mode (I use this set-up daily, in development). SLI is unsupported in windowed mode.

SMS PC Lead
02-07-2015, 11:06
Well, I'd gotten really excited for patch 2.0, but GPU performance is still at its knees.

Anyways, thanks for trying. Not that I was told 2.0 would help my situation, but hope is last to die. I'll wait for the next patch. :dispirited:

The next patch has some performance improvements for the Ultra settings - roughly between 15 and 25% depending on the number of AI etc.

Calvin
02-07-2015, 14:27
MSAA works correctly in windowed mode (I use this set-up daily, in development). SLI is unsupported in windowed mode.

Good that MSAA works in windowed mode. Shame no one with SLI can use it though!

Calvin
02-07-2015, 14:28
The next patch has some performance improvements for the Ultra settings - roughly between 15 and 25% depending on the number of AI etc.

Is this for SLI users also?

Airplanek8
02-07-2015, 18:24

That should improve my ultra-settings average from 35 to 44ish FPS (best case scenario). I feel the benefit would be pretty great if my GPUs could run near 100%. Anyways, I'll keep playing this thing with zero AI. Thanks, PC Lead.

Ice Man
03-07-2015, 05:57
Any hope for SLI under DirectX9?

I use a GTX 295 and with a single GPU I run on High settings with decent FPS.

I'm pretty sure if I had SLI available on DX9 it would be possible to run this on Ultra settings.

Calvin
06-07-2015, 13:50
I take it from the lack of posts everyones SLI rigs are now working ok?....

Airplanek8
06-07-2015, 18:13
I take it from the lack of posts everyones SLI rigs are now working ok?....

I'm thinking people don't care enough to stick around. I'm my case, I've been busy. Still waiting for a fix so I can use my SLI setup. For now, AC it is.

Regards,

TrevorAustin
06-07-2015, 20:12
Even single Gpu usage in the new patch with the rift are even worse, can't get it over about 66%

SMS PC Lead
06-07-2015, 20:23
Even single Gpu usage in the new patch with the rift are even worse, can't get it over about 66%

Rift forces VSYNC which means the Oculus driver service will always have some form of GPU/CPU synchronization, so you won't ever get 100% CPU/GPU utilisation. They've improved things with the 0.6.0.1 so that utilisation is better, but in any system where you have a locked frame-rate expecting 100% utilisation is really just never going to happen, unless you exactly contrive a work-load that is close to a particularly system's CPU/GPU balance.

SMS PC Lead
06-07-2015, 20:32
I'm thinking people don't care enough to stick around. I'm my case, I've been busy. Still waiting for a fix so I can use my SLI setup. For now, AC it is.

Regards,

I think I already mentioned that there are improvements for the Ultra settings (15-25%) for both single and multi GPU systems - that you helped me diagnose in the up-coming patch 2.5. I'm not sure how you can't use your SLI setup though - with just three settings lowered : env-map/reflections and shadows to High, with 4k rendering even in the catatonic test case you gave with 30AI and Heavy Rain, it would give you a 60 lock (give or take a few AI).

Calvin
06-07-2015, 21:37
I've seen improvements enough for me to max the game out at 60 - 100 fps. Mostly sticks around the 70 - 80 mark. Still the sli performance is around the same if not worse than 1 980. I just can't be arsed to keep switching sli on and off for each game. Happy gaming all :-)

TrevorAustin
06-07-2015, 22:44
Rift forces VSYNC which means the Oculus driver service will always have some form of GPU/CPU synchronization, so you won't ever get 100% CPU/GPU utilisation. They've improved things with the 0.6.0.1 so that utilisation is better, but in any system where you have a locked frame-rate expecting 100% utilisation is really just never going to happen, unless you exactly contrive a work-load that is close to a particularly system's CPU/GPU balance.

Understood, but I'm locked at 53% :) would really appreciate you looking over my tests?

In pcars 2 i can get over 90% and sits around 80. In pcars 1 never been higher than 62 and normally 50-55

Pretty certain I've identified the issue all the rift users are getting http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?34028-Terrible-980Ti-GPU-use-in-patch-2-0-with-DK2-loads-of-tests-and-details

SMS PC Lead
06-07-2015, 22:55
Understood, but I'm locked at 53% :) would really appreciate you looking over my tests?

In pcars 2 i can get over 90% and sits around 80. In pcars 1 never been higher than 62 and normally 50-55

Pretty certain I've identified the issue all the rift users are getting http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?34028-Terrible-980Ti-GPU-use-in-patch-2-0-with-DK2-loads-of-tests-and-details

PCars 2 is built with the 0.6.0.1 SDK though, which is in the next PCars 1 patch.

TrevorAustin
06-07-2015, 23:48
PCars 2 is built with the 0.6.0.1 SDK though, which is in the next PCars 1 patch.

I know that, looking forward to it. But im using the 0.6.0.0 runtime with it. Is the new sdk what has released the bottleneck. If i tweak 2 carefully i can get 95% usage, but not in 1.

Mahjik
08-07-2015, 14:34
Cleaned up the thread a bit...

Airplanek8
08-07-2015, 17:45
I think I already mentioned that there are improvements for the Ultra settings (15-25%) for both single and multi GPU systems - that you helped me diagnose in the up-coming patch 2.5. I'm not sure how you can't use your SLI setup though - with just three settings lowered : env-map/reflections and shadows to High, with 4k rendering even in the catatonic test case you gave with 30AI and Heavy Rain, it would give you a 60 lock (give or take a few AI).

Kinda sucks to have to play with lower settings with 2 top GPUs only because of their usage. Like I said earlier, that should improve my ultra-settings average from 35 to 44ish FPS (best case scenario and if this improvement translates directly to FPS). I do appreciate all your efforts! Thanks, PC Lead!

TrevorAustin
08-07-2015, 21:31
Kinda sucks to have to play with lower settings with 2 top GPUs only because of their usage. Like I said earlier, that should improve my ultra-settings average from 35 to 44ish FPS (best case scenario and if this improvement translates directly to FPS). I do appreciate all your efforts! Thanks, PC Lead!

Exactly the conclusion i just came to, kinda sucks to have to play at this very low level with top level kit. But hopefully just a temporary state.

Airplanek8
08-07-2015, 23:08
Exactly the conclusion i just came to, kinda sucks to have to play at this very low level with top level kit. But hopefully just a temporary state.

Damn, I hadn't noticed your PC specs until now. You have a very nice CPU with a very powerful OC and my two GPUs which are insanely good for anything (other than PCARS). I guess we need an i7 5960X. Unfortunately, I still have a student loan to pay ;)

TrevorAustin
09-07-2015, 00:18
Damn, I hadn't noticed your PC specs until now. You have a very nice CPU with a very powerful OC and my two GPUs which are insanely good for anything (other than PCARS). I guess we need an i7 5960X. Unfortunately, I still have a student loan to pay ;)

I am actually sure you're right, i think a faster cpu would make a difference, theres a guy with a 5820 and a reference 980ti running max and ultra settings in a rift with zero issues, either the motherboard has massively better throughput or the extra cores.

The good news is i think it's fixable, as the alpha of pcars2 in a Thunderstorm all maxed wirh ds4x gives me 95% cpu:) and an amazing view and experience, so fingers crossed for the next patch. But i am saving for at least a 5930:)

Airplanek8
09-07-2015, 01:29
I am actually sure you're right, i think a faster cpu would make a difference, theres a guy with a 5820 and a reference 980ti running max and ultra settings in a rift with zero issues, either the motherboard has massively better throughput or the extra cores.

The good news is i think it's fixable, as the alpha of pcars2 in a Thunderstorm all maxed wirh ds4x gives me 95% cpu:) and an amazing view and experience, so fingers crossed for the next patch. But i am saving for at least a 5930:)

I also get excellent above 90% GPU usage on PCARS2. I have it at 4K with everything on max possible settings and I get 85ish FPS in thunderstorms. Needless to say, It's only using one GPU! Imagine what it could do with both of my cards! If PCARS1 never gets the GPU usage to work above 50% for both cards; positive SLI usage, I hope PCARS2 continues as it's going and tells a different story!:frown-new:

TrevorAustin
09-07-2015, 06:51
I also get excellent above 90% GPU usage on PCARS2. I have it at 4K with everything on max possible settings and I get 85ish FPS in thunderstorms. Needless to say, It's only using one GPU! Imagine what it could do with both of my cards! If PCARS1 never gets the GPU usage to work above 50% for both cards; positive SLI usage, I hope PCARS2 continues as it's going and tells a different story!:frown-new:

It is very odd how it's sticking at around the 50% usage isn't it. I wish I'd done all my testing while i had my 970 still to see what i was getting out of that.

imagamejunky
09-07-2015, 14:46
How are you guys playing PCars2?
How can I get it?
Thanks

SwiftyOne
09-07-2015, 14:55
How are you guys playing PCars2?
How can I get it?
Thanks

First go here: http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?32482-Announcing-Project-CARS-2-Sign-Up-Now!

Or Here: The blue text has a link to mouse over: http://www.wmdportal.com/projectnews/announcing-project-cars-2-sign-up-now/

imagamejunky
09-07-2015, 15:24
Thank you.
Right after I posted that I found some info myself. I feel stupid now. :)

imagamejunky
09-07-2015, 15:42
Wow!
$76 for a beta? Ouch. I've been playing $34 Dirt Rally in beta for a while now. That's much more reasonable imo.

Sorry for high jacking the SLI thread. On that note..
I've been very underwhelmed by the SLI gpu usage. It's horrible in fact.
Junky

SwiftyOne
09-07-2015, 15:52
Wow!
$76 for a beta? Ouch. I've been playing $34 Dirt Rally in beta for a while now. That's much more reasonable imo.

Sorry for high jacking the SLI thread. On that note..
I've been very underwhelmed by the SLI gpu usage. It's horrible in fact.
Junky

I feel stupid now. :)

Maybe you should remain feeling stupid

imagamejunky
09-07-2015, 17:11
Excuse me?

Ramjet
10-07-2015, 02:52
^ I think it was sort of sarcastic humor :boxing: Anyway you are correct that it is not cheap but there is good reasoning behind the price barrier to keep the buy-in low to manageable member levels. Speaking from experience and for what it's worth, it is a very good experience and lots of fun seeing pCars develop and taking part in the conversations around the evolution of a racing sim, pCars2 will definitely be bigger & better - pay no heed to all the negativity as it mostly comes from people who have no idea how games in general and racing sims in particular are developed. If you can afford it then take the plunge, you won't regret ;)

You are also correct that DiRT Rally is a very good deal and already has some excellent content, lots of fun and looks good on the Rift.

Beans
10-07-2015, 04:16
I'll say this again, because I know people are going to have a hard time wrapping there head around this. I get 97% and 98% SLI GPU usage all the time. Running surround in DS2X and SMAA high and many ultra settings. So worse case rain, cars... I probably get like 30 fps, but I don't care because the game plays flawlessly. No stuttering (and don't tell me I don't know what that is), no input lag or lag of any kine. I can't explain it. I don't know of another game I could play at this fps without some issues. I even got it down to steady 20fps with no issues (I have a short vid floating around to show it).

If I turn things down the GPU usage will start to go down and I'll get around 70 fps, but it will fluctuate more. If I take one card off at this point the single GPU usage will go up, but only because I now have less GPU processing ability. If I continue to turn down AA and/or other things using a single GPU the usage will go down as well, so the same effect is happening with one GPU. I don't think it's an SLI problem. It's just the way the game utilizes GPU usage with low demands. I personally don't care what the FPS is as long as I can play the game like I have been with these ridiculously high and beautiful graphic settings. I have completely smooth game play.

SwiftyOne
10-07-2015, 04:47
I'll say this again, because I know people are going to have a hard time wrapping there head around this. I get 97% and 98% SLI GPU usage all the time. Running surround in DS2X and SMAA high and many ultra settings. So worse case rain, cars... I probably get like 30 fps, but I don't care because the game plays flawlessly. No stuttering (and don't tell me I don't know what that is), no input lag or lag of any kine. I can't explain it. I don't know of another game I could play at this fps without some issues. I even got it down to steady 20fps with no issues (I have a short vid floating around to show it).

If I turn things down the GPU usage will start to go down and I'll get around 70 fps, but it will fluctuate more. If I take one card off at this point the single GPU usage will go up, but only because I now have less GPU processing ability. If I continue to turn down AA and/or other things using a single GPU the usage will go down as well, so the same effect is happening with one GPU. I don't think it's an SLI problem. It's just the way the game utilizes GPU usage with low demands. I personally don't care what the FPS is as long as I can play the game like I have been with these ridiculously high and beautiful graphic settings. I have completely smooth game play.

Reading this ^ I could almost duplicate your findings...I have never really had any problems running pCARS with Sli, had almost the some 95% 96% GPU usage too....Unfortunately, one of my GTX 780's gave up on me, a month ago, so have one screen and one 780, but still getting between 75-90 fps with 30 car grids(depending on track, conditions)
;)

Beans
10-07-2015, 05:46
Reading this ^ I could almost duplicate your findings...I have never really had any problems running pCARS with Sli, had almost the some 95% 96% GPU usage too....Unfortunately, one of my GTX 780's gave up on me, a month ago, so have one screen and one 780, but still getting between 75-90 fps with 30 car grids(depending on track, conditions)
;)

Yes, I did a test in 1080p and DS9X :eek: Can't remeber if it was SLI or single, but whatever. I was getting 20 fps ran two different 10 lap races in the ran. Couldn't believe how smooth it was.

Here's the sample. This was at 20 fps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edyCuY3nuiY

TrevorAustin
10-07-2015, 06:50
Yes, I did a test in 1080p and DS9X :eek: Can't remeber if it was SLI or single, but whatever. I was getting 20 fps ran two different 10 lap races in the ran. Couldn't believe how smooth it was.

What motherboard are you running?

Beans
10-07-2015, 06:55
@ Trevor, it's all in my sig... other then my Wheel it's a CSW V2 now.;)

Traummann
10-07-2015, 10:29

smooth?
wtf

this is lagy as hell :(

TrevorAustin
10-07-2015, 10:43
@ Trevor, it's all in my sig... other then my Wheel it's a CSW V2 now.;)

So it is, sorry.

I do get the impression that some of the non z97 MBs give far greater FPS than the newer z97.

I was reading a benchmark test the other day with farlight where the Z97 boards were getting 230FPS, and the identical hardware on the Gank Z87 Mb was getting over 300!

Beans
10-07-2015, 10:45
smooth?
wtf

this is lagy as hell :(

You should upgrade your internet.

Airplanek8
10-07-2015, 19:21
You should upgrade your internet.

If by smooth he means no stuttering, yeah, why not. You can't possibly compare 20FPS smoothness to 60FPS and greater smoothness though. There's a reason we aim to get higher and higher FPS, otherwise we would all be happy running any game at 10FPS.

SwiftyOne
10-07-2015, 21:58
If by smooth he means no stuttering, yeah, why not. You can't possibly compare 20FPS smoothness to 60FPS and greater smoothness though. There's a reason we aim to get higher and higher FPS, otherwise we would all be happy running any game at 10FPS.

I don't think Beans was comparing with anything, just the smoothness of 20fps, which I find quite amazing, and just goes to show the talent and skill behind the game with the developers, who should not be underestimated :) Show me ANY Racing game video at 20fps you'll see a slid show.

Beans
11-07-2015, 02:10
Think about it guys, I'm not a good enough driver to anticipate video lag while driving in the rain sliding all over the place with just the right throttle and steering input. I know what you all are saying and being a twitch shooter would be easier for me then driving at 20fps. I agree it defies my own rationality of how it should work. Generally speaking, I used to tell friends that I had to have at least 60 fps. This would be impossible for me if it were not smooth. I know different hardware/software combinations are going to give different results, but it's worth trying it out for yourselves. Just turn the FPS counter off (we all have been brain washed by it) and turn some of the settings up that are best to turn up... how playable is it for you?

Personally, I'm preaching to myself as well because my head is saying "you don't want to play at 20 fps, that's insane, so keep it somewhere north of that" ha, ha. So, I'm drawing the line there. I can make the game crash in surround, but I've inched it up to this point and playing in the 40ish range. The vid was a test and I was amazed to the point that I kicked back and enjoyed two 10 lap races in DS9X at 1080p. That's all I'm saying.;)

Calvin
11-07-2015, 10:03
Right gentlemen, ive managed to get my particular rig to run at 98% gpu usage on both my cards while racing. I simply removed my over-clocking and set both cards back to default settings, set the power and usage settings to max levels and rebooted my rig. Now when ever i play the game my FPS has gone from 70 - 90 to 120 - 130.

I recommend any of you with over-clocked cards try your cards on default settings. I have 2 msi 980 gtx reference cards.

Thanks

TrevorAustin
11-07-2015, 14:23
Interesting development for me.

I changed motherboards from an MSI gaming 3 to an ASus Her VII

Now GPU use between 60% and 80+% in exactly the same scenario. No settings changed other than the MB.

I can reduce or increase GPU use by lowering or raising CPU clockspeed now, which I couldn't before.

So the issue here is almost definitely a mixture of CPU limiting and MB throughput. Much happier.

Airplanek8
11-07-2015, 15:31
Right gentlemen, ive managed to get my particular rig to run at 98% gpu usage on both my cards while racing. I simply removed my over-clocking and set both cards back to default settings, set the power and usage settings to max levels and rebooted my rig. Now when ever i play the game my FPS has gone from 70 - 90 to 120 - 130.

I recommend any of you with over-clocked cards try your cards on default settings. I have 2 msi 980 gtx reference cards.

Thanks

Interesting find. My cards are over clocked by default and I have not increased them further at this point, but I'm definitely going to increase the power level and report back any changes.

EDIT: No effect. Still 50% and less GPU usage with average 35-40FPS.

TrevorAustin
11-07-2015, 21:41
Interesting find. My cards are over clocked by default and I have not increased them further at this point, but I'm definitely going to increase the power level and report back any changes.

Just noticed your 3dmark score, with the new motherboard, cpu and single gpu I'm now at 16,686, maybe food for thought?

Airplanek8
11-07-2015, 22:12
Just noticed your 3dmark score, with the new motherboard, cpu and single gpu I'm now at 16,686, maybe food for thought?

Both of your GPUs are still runnning at 8x from what I read. I have the Hero VI which doesnt make much difference from yours. The "big gap" is definitely the processor according to... Even though people with your same CPU continue to experience the same issue as I.

TrevorAustin
11-07-2015, 22:18
Both of your GPUs are still runnning at 8x from what I read. I have the Hero VI which doesnt make much difference from yours. The "big gap" is definitely the processor according to... Even though people with your same CPU continue to experience the same issue as I.

I only have 1 gpu, always have. And it's 16* on the new mb. Won't fix the sli issue I'm sure.

Beans
11-07-2015, 23:05
Lanes has nothing to do with it. Even at 8x your not going to use up that bandwidth. Airplane the big gap is your CPU. In my case my CPU is much better and my GPU's are less. It is easier for me to get full usage out of them and not be limited by me CPU. If you are using a 1080p resolution, it's going to be a tall order to get full usage out of those GPU's and I don't know what will happen with that CPU at that point. Have you tried turn it up to like DS6X? (assuming your at 1080p, 1920 x 1080) Watch what happens to your GPU usage.

TrevorAustin
12-07-2015, 01:23
Lanes has nothing to do with it. Even at 8x your not going to use up that bandwidth. Airplane the big gap is your CPU. In my case my CPU is much better and my GPU's are less. It is easier for me to get full usage out of them and not be limited by me CPU. If you are using a 1080p resolution, it's going to be a tall order to get full usage out of those GPU's and I don't know what will happen with that CPU at that point. Have you tried turn it up to like DS6X? (assuming your at 1080p, 1920 x 1080) Watch what happens to your GPU usage.

While i agree i do think you've missed my point, i gained almost 100% fps by changing motherboard ans not a damned other thing, crazy.

Airplanek8
12-07-2015, 02:45

Beans, please read all 57 pages of this thread as I have, and you will notice there are quite a few people with i7 CPUs like yours and better than yours, experiencing the same low gpu usage. Even more so, venture outside of these forums and you will find the same case. If I hadn't seen these scenarios, I would also be blaming my CPU 100%. I'm well aware of what having an i5 vs an i7 means in most games and this game. The flaw, however, is the discrepancy in similar reports across CPUs.

Regards,

Ramjet
12-07-2015, 03:53
Not trying to be funny or stir you guys up, (and I have read/followed all this thread) but the PC Lead has said there are some very good optimizations in the next patch which may achieve some of the things you are aiming for. But even still, are you not able to get high enough fps at the moment to enjoy the game ?

I ask because even on my dated cpu/mobo with only one 970 operating due to the sli issue I can still get a very nice & playable image on my Rift dk2 and enjoy some excellent racing. SMS are going to keep patching the game for quite awhile yet so it is still early days as far as pCars reaching its full potential ... frustrating I guess because you guys all have such powerful rigs but keep the faith and keep racing anyway ! :apple:

Beans
12-07-2015, 05:09
Beans, please read all 57 pages of this thread as I have, and you will notice there are quite a few people with i7 CPUs like yours and better than yours, experiencing the same low gpu usage. Even more so, venture outside of these forums and you will find the same case. If I hadn't seen these scenarios, I would also be blaming my CPU 100%. I'm well aware of what having an i5 vs an i7 means in most games and this game. The flaw, however, is the discrepancy in similar reports across CPUs.

Regards,

Yes I Know what people are saying and what is going on. I also know the fix for now. I'm not blaming anything about your PC necessarily, just that the CPU is more of a limiting factor. I have know idea what that limit is though. What I do know is that you have to create way more of a demand for your graphics cards to see full usage, more then I do because my GPU's aren't as capable as yours. It's just how this game responds to GPU usage. You need higher resolutions, higher AA ect. Yes your FPS will go down. What people are kooking out on is that most of us think we have to have 60FPS or better or there's just no way to play the game. That's my whole point posting all this. I know how to get full GPU usage, but I don't know how to get full usage with high fps or what the limitations for your system will be playing at low frame rates. I'm just trying to help by getting people to think outside the box in there quest to see higher GPU usage because I myself am amazed how well the game plays for me with low FPS.

Turn the settings up, mainly resolution, to the point that you are satisfied with the game play still. This is going to be the limit of your GPU usage in your system. I'm afraid that's just how it is for now, but this has nothing to do with SLI.

N0body Of The Goat
12-07-2015, 06:24
While i agree i do think you've missed my point, i gained almost 100% fps by changing motherboard ans not a damned other thing, crazy.

I can't help but wonder if perhaps your Gaming 3 did not have the motherboard drivers installed correctly, running an old bios, or it was damaged.

But well done on being brave enough to buy a new mobo and discover lots of frames!

nolag
12-07-2015, 07:43
While it is nice to read that some people have been able to improve their framerates, the solutions just seem to add to the mystery.

I can't help but wonder if perhaps your Gaming 3 did not have the motherboard drivers installed correctly, running an old bios, or it was damaged.
The only additional explanation I can come with is that the MSI board may not have been running in dual channel memory mode.

TrevorAustin
12-07-2015, 08:42

But well done on being brave enough to buy a new mobo and discover lots of frames!

While it is nice to read that some people have been able to improve their framerates, the solutions just seem to add to the mystery.

The only additional explanation I can come with is that the MSI board may not have been running in dual channel memory mode.

It was definitely in dual channel and bios was up to date and all drivers installed and latest. I always download all bios and firmware and drivers before testing anything, practice I've used at work for years.

The only odd thing about it was never coming out of pci3.0x8 new one is x16 from the first time i checked.

And i can't really explain it other than damaged either. The fact i can now control the frame rate significantly under or overclocking the cpu shows just how important the cpu is to performance though. wirh the msi board that made little difference.

I was going to sell it but i think the bin is best, i don't trust it now.

Calvin
12-07-2015, 09:55

This isn't all plain sailing unfortunately. Sometimes when I start up the game gpu 1 will only run at 50% usage and gpu 2 will run at 100%. I exit the game and restart it and both are at 100% again. Strange

Airplanek8
13-07-2015, 03:39
Yes I Know what people are saying and what is going on. I also know the fix for now. I'm not blaming anything about your PC necessarily, just that the CPU is more of a limiting factor. I have know idea what that limit is though. What I do know is that you have to create way more of a demand for your graphics cards to see full usage, more then I do because my GPU's aren't as capable as yours. It's just how this game responds to GPU usage. You need higher resolutions, higher AA ect. Yes your FPS will go down. What people are kooking out on is that most of us think we have to have 60FPS or better or there's just no way to play the game. That's my whole point posting all this. I know how to get full GPU usage, but I don't know how to get full usage with high fps or what the limitations for your system will be playing at low frame rates. I'm just trying to help by getting people to think outside the box in there quest to see higher GPU usage because I myself am amazed how well the game plays for me with low FPS.

Turn the settings up, mainly resolution, to the point that you are satisfied with the game play still. This is going to be the limit of your GPU usage in your system. I'm afraid that's just how it is for now, but this has nothing to do with SLI.

Beans, once again, read my posts and the 57 pages. You are recommending things that have already been tried. The GPUs have been pushed. It's hard to keep up with you if you're going to keep recommending things that have already been tried, done and sailed past as solutions. You got to catch up on the reading, buddy. You would know we have tried the heaviest settings and that I'm running at 4K resolutions. Honestly, it's just redundant and unnecessary.

In addition, unless you have concrete evidence that SLI is not an issue, please refrain from unsubstantiated arguments. There are many variables in these things and unfortunately, "it working for quite a high percentage," is not enough data. Especially, if there are so many claims where SLI is not working across multiple CPUs. It doesn't necessarily mean the SLI is at fault, but definitely something is off and that's the point of this thread. If we're fortunate enough it might be something as "simple" as a driver update.

Thanks for your suggestions and by all means keep throwing things that you might think we haven't tried. Maybe we hit the nail in the head or come up with important things; as Trevor and Calvin have been noting with hardware tweaking as of lately!

Airplanek8
13-07-2015, 03:58
It was definitely in dual channel and bios was up to date and all drivers installed and latest. I always download all bios and firmware and drivers before testing anything, practice I've used at work for years.

The only odd thing about it was never coming out of pci3.0x8 new one is x16 from the first time i checked.

And i can't really explain it other than damaged either. The fact i can now control the frame rate significantly under or overclocking the cpu shows just how important the cpu is to performance though. wirh the msi board that made little difference.

I was going to sell it but i think the bin is best, i don't trust it now.

I wish I could get a new motherboard just for trials. Unfortunately, I would also be too lazy to re-assemble the PC. :rolleyes: My Mobo drivers are updated however, and I can't think of other things to tweak hardware related. What about Bios settings? Anything that should stand out? Also, if you only have one GPU, it should be running at 16x at the uppermost slot. So no need to worry about 8x. That's for multiple GPUs.

TrevorAustin
13-07-2015, 06:33
I am getting, somehow, by fiddling with game settimgs up to 108% gpu use, so afterburner is clearly misreading somewhat.

However all my testing is single gpu use. I think you have three problems, i think there is still some game optimization needed, i think there is am sli problen with the Ti, the two drivers that actually support the Ti are being universally slated for poor performance, shaders in particular. But i genuinely don't believe a 4 core cpu cam drive two 980Tis to their max in this game.

To max my single gpu, in multiplayer, i habe had to to the 4790 to 5ghz, and yes i installed water cooling to do this yesterday, single player i can do at 4.5 with rain, etc.

Airplanek8
13-07-2015, 12:00
I am getting, somehow, by fiddling with game settimgs up to 108% gpu use, so afterburner is clearly misreading somewhat.

However all my testing is single gpu use. I think you have three problems, i think there is still some game optimization needed, i think there is am sli problen with the Ti, the two drivers that actually support the Ti are being universally slated for poor performance, shaders in particular. But i genuinely don't believe a 4 core cpu cam drive two 980Tis to their max in this game.

To max my single gpu, in multiplayer, i habe had to to the 4790 to 5ghz, and yes i installed water cooling to do this yesterday, single player i can do at 4.5 with rain, etc.

I have a very biased feeling that you are right and personally lean towards the drivers with the 980ti, sli performance. Ive also read a lot of reports on the driver performance with this new card. I really hope it is not afterburner.

TrevorAustin
14-07-2015, 09:40
I have a very biased feeling that you are right and personally lean towards the drivers with the 980ti, sli performance. Ive also read a lot of reports on the driver performance with this new card. I really hope it is not afterburner.

I wonder if the 108% is due to the overclock on my 980Ti, so it's comparing to a reference clocked card, that's the only thing I can think of.

I wonder if there are any better/more accurate measuring tools than Afterburner/riva tuner.

Airplanek8
14-07-2015, 19:04
I wonder if the 108% is due to the overclock on my 980Ti, so it's comparing to a reference clocked card, that's the only thing I can think of.

I wonder if there are any better/more accurate measuring tools than Afterburner/riva tuner.

Make sure not to mix GPU usage with power usage. The power does tend to go above 100% if you have it enabled as you mentioned. One of my cards draws a little more power than the other so they are always different.

Beans
14-07-2015, 23:07
Beans, once again, read my posts and the 57 pages. You are recommending things that have already been tried. The GPUs have been pushed. It's hard to keep up with you if you're going to keep recommending things that have already been tried, done and sailed past as solutions. You got to catch up on the reading, buddy. You would know we have tried the heaviest settings and that I'm running at 4K resolutions. Honestly, it's just redundant and unnecessary.

In addition, unless you have concrete evidence that SLI is not an issue, please refrain from unsubstantiated arguments. There are many variables in these things and unfortunately, "it working for quite a high percentage," is not enough data. Especially, if there are so many claims where SLI is not working across multiple CPUs. It doesn't necessarily mean the SLI is at fault, but definitely something is off and that's the point of this thread. If we're fortunate enough it might be something as "simple" as a driver update.

Thanks for your suggestions and by all means keep throwing things that you might think we haven't tried. Maybe we hit the nail in the head or come up with important things; as Trevor and Calvin have been noting with hardware tweaking as of lately!

I decided to test again after the 2.0 patch (stop rolling your eyeballs). I simply don't have time to read every post, but what I post I do with all who may read in mind. I do appreciate your post here Airplane and I have to apologize because the results weren't as I expected. I'm only giving this info so that people can take from it as they will to try and help them determine there own situation.

I did this little test in 1080p thinking it to benefit most people. My monitor is running at 144Hz and SLI was enabled. The driver I used has always been the one in sig. Used EVGA Precision and fraps. CPU at it's stock 3.6 GHz GPU's at default in Precision with 100% power target. Tested at Bands Hatch GP in the sun practice mode (old test was thunder storm 20 cars, I can test this again if wanted).

The biggest difference I noticed right away was the low setting test. In this test I used to get about 60ish usage and IIRC 120fps. Now I get over 200fps and 98% usage. Everything on the performance screen was set to it's lowest setting, no AA.

Then I tested with these settings. I had stretched head lights on too.

The difference I noticed in the new test was that GPU usage would have sections of dips every once in a while. Normally it ran at 98% and 96% and then down to as low as 60% and not just a spike, but a far section, then back up to 98%. 50 - 60 fps around Brands.

Then I turned AA up to DS9X. GPU 1 was flat lined at 98% (never seen it run at such a flat line before). GPU 2 %94 but there were no dips, but steady. 30 - 40 fps around Brands.

During all these tests the difference between the two gpu's in usage were very close and this is why I am saying I don't think it's an SLI problem(at least with the driver I'm using), overall usage is another issue. Micro stutter caused by SLI I often find is due to hardware variance, but I'm not saying I'm all knowing. In all this keep in mind that I am only saying what I am saying based on the system and driver that I have. Again though, the end result was the same for me. I couldn't tell the difference in game play between any of these tests, think of me as you may, but unless anyone has concrete evidence to prove me otherwise then their argument is unsubstantiated. Basically, I'm saying it is possible to have these results and hopefully people are better able to determine the possible variance for their issue on there end. Just trying to add to the pool of info out there.

Airplane, If you think it may help, I have a 4K monitor as well I could test on, I would also be willing to test a different driver. If someone wants me to test a different setting, let me know and I'll eventually make it happen.

Airplanek8
15-07-2015, 00:39
I decided to test again after the 2.0 patch (stop rolling your eyeballs). I simply don't have time to read every post, but what I post I do with all who may read in mind. I do appreciate your post here Airplane and I have to apologize because the results weren't as I expected. I'm only giving this info so that people can take from it as they will to try and help them determine there own situation.

I did this little test in 1080p thinking it to benefit most people. My monitor is running at 144Hz and SLI was enabled. The driver I used has always been the one in sig. Used EVGA Precision and fraps. CPU at it's stock 3.6 GHz GPU's at default in Precision with 100% power target. Tested at Bands Hatch GP in the sun practice mode (old test was thunder storm 20 cars, I can test this again if wanted).

The biggest difference I noticed right away was the low setting test. In this test I used to get about 60ish usage and IIRC 120fps. Now I get over 200fps and 98% usage. Everything on the performance screen was set to it's lowest setting, no AA.

Then I tested with these settings. I had stretched head lights on too.

The difference I noticed in the new test was that GPU usage would have sections of dips every once in a while. Normally it ran at 98% and 96% and then down to as low as 60% and not just a spike, but a far section, then back up to 98%. 50 - 60 fps around Brands.

Then I turned AA up to DS9X. GPU 1 was flat lined at 98% (never seen it run at such a flat line before). GPU 2 %94 but there were no dips, but steady. 30 - 40 fps around Brands.

During all these tests the difference between the two gpu's in usage were very close and this is why I am saying I don't think it's an SLI problem(at least with the driver I'm using), overall usage is another issue. Micro stutter caused by SLI I often find is due to hardware variance, but I'm not saying I'm all knowing. In all this keep in mind that I am only saying what I am saying based on the system and driver that I have. Again though, the end result was the same for me. I couldn't tell the difference in game play between any of these tests, think of me as you may, but unless anyone has concrete evidence to prove me otherwise then their argument is unsubstantiated. Basically, I'm saying it is possible to have these results and hopefully people are better able to determine the possible variance for their issue on there end. Just trying to add to the pool of info out there.

Airplane, If you think it may help, I have a 4K monitor as well I could test on, I would also be willing to test a different driver. If someone wants me to test a different setting, let me know and I'll eventually make it happen.

Honestly, I cannot think of anything to test. That's aimed more towards the Devs. I'm hoping for next (soon I hope! lol) patch to give me some big improvements but more importantly, a miraculous NVidia driver.:teapot: Unfortunately, increasing the AA does not make a difference for me if I make it 1080. I'm aware this certainly is a symptom of a CPU bottleneck since this game is so CPU intensive. If after the next patch and nvidia drivers I see no improvements, I'll have no choice but to....:indecisiveness:

Thanks for the hard work, Beans! Let me know if you come up with anything.

Crysto
15-07-2015, 01:19
Just weighing in on all this discussion regarding CPU making all the difference as I have a fairly high end CPU/GPU combination.
I'm getting similarly low utilisation when there are more AI cars on track, leading to my frame rate going between (G-Synced) 144 to 60's (depending on track, conditions, etc) as I lap the track. There is no stuttering or other issues, but the lower frame rates match lower GPU utilisation numbers - CPU usage is fairly even across all cores and rarely goes above 50% logical core.

I've run various launch parameters such as -skipcrowds, -pthreads 4, -dx11mt, some of which showed improvements, but weren't solutions.

If there's a particular test scenario I can run to help I'd be more than happy to.

Beans
15-07-2015, 01:40
Hi Ctysto,

It will help others to put your hardware specs in your sig. so they can reference the difference. I recommend putting the driver as well. I'm curious how GPU usage can very so much between systems like this. I'm going to run test again with cars and stormy weather to see what happens to usage for me.

TrevorAustin
15-07-2015, 07:09
Make sure not to mix GPU usage with power usage. The power does tend to go above 100% if you have it enabled as you mentioned. One of my cards draws a little more power than the other so they are always different.

Yep, very easy to do, I've turned that off;) it's weird, only did it that once, i overclocked tne gpu a little more amd it only goes to100% again.

TrevorAustin
15-07-2015, 08:57
Just weighing in on all this discussion regarding CPU making all the difference as I have a fairly high end CPU/GPU combination.
I'm getting similarly low utilisation when there are more AI cars on track, leading to my frame rate going between (G-Synced) 144 to 60's (depending on track, conditions, etc) as I lap the track. There is no stuttering or other issues, but the lower frame rates match lower GPU utilisation numbers - CPU usage is fairly even across all cores and rarely goes above 50% logical core.

I've run various launch parameters such as -skipcrowds, -pthreads 4, -dx11mt, some of which showed improvements, but weren't solutions.

If there's a particular test scenario I can run to help I'd be more than happy to.

It's odd isn't it, i still get the same, but wirh much improved performance on the new mb.

But cpu never maxes, however the faster i run it the better my gpu use.

One thing i can't help noticing. All the good performers are either 6 core, x58 or x99, or both all the problems, z78 & z79. That seems to be the average theme.

Airplanek8
19-07-2015, 20:05

None of this addressed in the "next patch." Did you mean 3.0 patch?

Mahjik
19-07-2015, 20:28
None of this addressed in the "next patch." Did you mean 3.0 patch?

Just an FYI, most of the coders don't necessarily know when their branched changes will make into a patch. i.e. sometimes their part is done, but their change is not included in a specific patch (for whatever the reason). Typically it's because the change is either rather large or the DEV's are trying to get quick feedback on other issues first...

Airplanek8
19-07-2015, 21:17
Just an FYI, most of the coders don't necessarily know when their branched changes will make into a patch. i.e. sometimes their part is done, but their change is not included in a specific patch (for whatever the reason). Typically it's because the change is either rather large or the DEV's are trying to get quick feedback on other issues first...

Ahh, ok! Thank you Mahjik! I'll keep waiting.

Beans
20-07-2015, 02:53
Hi, guys. Been longer then wanted, but thought I'd follow up. Same 1080p testing settings as before, but with conditions changed. Storm and cars had a negative effect with extra high settings and 2.0, but the good news is that it's better then ever with 2.5:)

OK, ran the test with Storm and 20 cars 2.0 patch. This changed from before that patch. I'm getting 80% with times of 70% usage no matter if it's the "DS9X" or "Low" set up. Also, the DS9X settings had a bit worse fps then before and started feeling too lagish.

2.5 patch, Storm and 20 cars, back to good times. Low settings saw the usual GPU usage 80% ish with sometimes 70%, but now I'm getting better fps then before 125 to 130 with the cars around Brands. DS9X settings jumped to GPU 1 flat lining at 100% GPU 2 96% to 94% usage, nice fps bump to 23 to 25 fps sometimes more and nicely playable. In addition, I heard that particle level affected rain, so I tried turning it off and particle density to low, but in DS9X settings this did nothing with fps.

Jenna Tailya
20-07-2015, 07:10
hi Traummann, maybe this is the problem

"your motherboard":
When the PCIEX8 slot is populated, the PCIEX16 slot will operate at up to x8 mode.

SLI setup, probably why it runs better with 1 card??

Calvin
20-07-2015, 07:54
hi Traummann, maybe this is the problem

"your motherboard":
When the PCIEX8 slot is populated, the PCIEX16 slot will operate at up to x8 mode.

SLI setup, probably why it runs better with 1 card??

Trrroooolllllololololol. Come on man, you can do better than that ;)

Traummann
25-07-2015, 00:00
*facepalm*

even with SLI disabled, the first card will use 8 lanes, because obv. in the second PCIe slot is the second card.
PCIe 3.0 x8 vs PCIe 3.0 x16 is only 1.2% performance difference.

with Grass quality disabled you wont get GPU usage drops with SLI.
but than the race track looks bad.

however stuttering is still presents in SLI + Grass quality disabled.

ps: i don't care anymore, this game is already boring ( for me with 50 hours gameplay ).

kacperflak
25-07-2015, 12:41
~30fps and ~60% GPUs and 70% CPU

i5 4.7
gtx 980s in 2 way sli
16gb ram
ssd
clean and tidy windows 8.1
newest drivers

Mancunain
25-07-2015, 13:04
ppl probably need your game & GPU settings to help you mate...

kacperflak
25-07-2015, 13:16
ppl probably need your game & GPU settings to help you mate...

oh sorry

game:
all ultra, 4K, no AA , fxaa high

card:
most setting optimized for performance not quality except 16x AA/transparency AA, fxaa on

Mahjik
25-07-2015, 13:18
Combined threads..

kacperflak
25-07-2015, 13:22
Combined threads..

cheers

kacperflak
25-07-2015, 13:53
oh sorry

game:
all ultra, 4K, no AA , fxaa high

card:
most setting optimized for performance not quality except 16x AA/transparency AA, fxaa on

changing between some AA setting but stil poor avarge fps and poor avarge gpu usage

EDIT:
I SORTED IT OUT:
game:
all ultra, 4k, aa ds2x, rest aa options off

card,
most setting optimized for performance not quality, all AA options off

tested all way reverse california (very poor utlization GPUs last time @ 30fps)
smoooooth 60fps at 100% of time with 80%-100% usage of both cards now

TrevorAustin
29-07-2015, 09:41
So Airplane, thought you might be interested in the results of my upgrade to x99 and 6 cores?

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?36162-Update-on-my-Oculus-DK2-testing-and-performance-issues&p=1067494#post1067494

Airplanek8
29-07-2015, 17:59
So Airplane, thought you might be interested in the results of my upgrade to x99 and 6 cores?

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?36162-Update-on-my-Oculus-DK2-testing-and-performance-issues&p=1067494#post1067494

Not really, buddy. I'm sure the "bestest" and latest gear can run things better. I'm still waiting for those changes PC Lead said would come in the upcoming versions. Thank you, though!

Airplanek8
29-07-2015, 18:06
changing between some AA setting but stil poor avarge fps and poor avarge gpu usage

EDIT:
I SORTED IT OUT:
game:
all ultra, 4k, aa ds2x, rest aa options off

card,
most setting optimized for performance not quality, all AA options off

tested all way reverse california (very poor utlization GPUs last time @ 30fps)
smoooooth 60fps at 100% of time with 80%-100% usage of both cards now

I have your exact same settings with the exception of 2 GTX 980Tis and 100Mhz less in CPU speed, yet don't come even close to 100% GPU usage. Enjoy!

Calvin
01-08-2015, 11:01
Ive seen vids where people are getting massive increases in performance using Windows 10. Any one tried that here?

Sankyo
01-08-2015, 11:19
Ive seen vids where people are getting massive increases in performance using Windows 10. Any one tried that here?

Probably with AMD GPUs?

Calvin
01-08-2015, 11:58
Probably with AMD GPUs?

Yes sorry it was AMD https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzFe5OOHZko

TrevorAustin
01-08-2015, 11:58
I beleive it is cpu, and have many tests to prove it.

Calvin
01-08-2015, 11:59
Yes sorry it was AMD https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzFe5OOHZko

Although there is this............ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjdvCDAJ0iE

Airplanek8
01-08-2015, 15:53

Im running Windows 10. No gains or loses. Seems exactly the same performancewise to Win8. My 3dmark benchmark did improve by about 100 points :D

Cerberus90
04-08-2015, 17:11
Trying to get my SLI GTX660s to play nicely with pCars and I'm not having much luck.

With one card, everything seems fine, no crashes, can get between 40 and 60fps with decent settings.

Turn SLI on, up the AA to 4x and I get an improvement in FPS, not massive, but the whole thing doesn't feel smooth.
I then turned on FXAA to low and tried again, and things felt much better, with almost constant 60FPS.

GPU usage isn't too bad, with GPU2 being around 97-99% and GPU1 hovering in the 70-80%.

However, with SLI on, the game always seems to end up crashing, it'll lock up, the sound will carry on as if it's working in the background, the screen goes black, then the sound turns into a loud buzzing and the PC restarts. Upon restarting windows says it recovered from a BSOD.

Any tips?

Temps seem fine, and other games work ok.

I've downloaded nvInspector and the SLI profile that was on page 15? to try and see if that helps.

*EDIT*

Tried that SLI profile and it made things worse. FPS dropped down to 20 odd. Although I noticed that it put a profile in under pCars and the nvidia one is listed as Project Cars, so might not have been doing anything.

Airplanek8
04-08-2015, 17:34
Trying to get my SLI GTX660s to play nicely with pCars and I'm not having much luck.

With one card, everything seems fine, no crashes, can get between 40 and 60fps with decent settings.

Turn SLI on, up the AA to 4x and I get an improvement in FPS, not massive, but the whole thing doesn't feel smooth.
I then turned on FXAA to low and tried again, and things felt much better, with almost constant 60FPS.

GPU usage isn't too bad, with GPU2 being around 97-99% and GPU1 hovering in the 70-80%.

However, with SLI on, the game always seems to end up crashing, it'll lock up, the sound will carry on as if it's working in the background, the screen goes black, then the sound turns into a loud buzzing and the PC restarts. Upon restarting windows says it recovered from a BSOD.

Any tips?

Temps seem fine, and other games work ok.

I've downloaded nvInspector and the SLI profile that was on page 15? to try and see if that helps.

There is a patch which allegedly should increase performance by about 20%. You can continue to wait with me for months, or you can navigate back a few pages and try the settings we experimented within this thread. Maybe you gain anything out of it.

Regards,

Cerberus90
04-08-2015, 19:27
Well, I thought this was an SLI issue, as it seemed fine with one card. But after a full driver reinstall, and it was still the same, I tried turning off the steam overlay.

Hey presto, no more crashes so far. Performance seems good, obviously can't tell for sure as I've got no on-screen info now, but I know it's somewhere around 60FPS.
Have to see if it holds out. Maybe Steam doesn't like SLI rather than pCars.

*UPDATE*

Nope, still not working, must have just been a fluke before. Had several crashes again while trying to play with SLI, and much worse performance than with a single card, like 50% worse.
Looks like I'll just have to stick to a single card for the moment.

Airplanek8
15-08-2015, 20:25
Patch 3.0 No performance improvement. Still waiting for the alleged 20% increase in performance. 4 months and counting. :cool:

SMS PC Lead
15-08-2015, 20:49
Patch 3.0 No performance improvement. Still waiting for the alleged 20% increase in performance. 4 months and counting. :cool:

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?22928-Terrible-SLI-GPU-usage&p=1023967&viewfull=1#post1023967

In that post you had 38FPS with Ultra settings - there's no possible way it's still 38FPS with Patch 3.0, unless your system has some sort of thermal issue. There was a focus on reducing small draw call count to help AMD GPUs which also benefits NVIDIA High AI/CPU limited scenarios - you should be 45-48FPS minimum with the new Patch.

TrevorAustin
15-08-2015, 20:58
Well I'm seeing about 25% down in the rift, as are others.

Although 2d seems down on peak but much more stable at 60 vsync. At 3 screen surround and all ultra not one drop below 60.

ermo
15-08-2015, 22:30
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?22928-Terrible-SLI-GPU-usage&p=1023967&viewfull=1#post1023967

In that post you had 38FPS with Ultra settings - there's no possible way it's still 38FPS with Patch 3.0, unless your system has some sort of thermal issue. There was a focus on reducing small draw call count to help AMD GPUs which also benefits NVIDIA High AI/CPU limited scenarios - you should be 45-48FPS minimum with the new Patch.

Are you in the mood to elaborate on the bolded part? What does 'reducing small draw call count' mean?

FWIW, I just switched to Win 10 and Cat 15.7.1 (from Win8.1 + Cat 15.7) and the experience feels noticeably smoother, plus I can crank the detail levels up higher and still mostly keep the frame rate steady at 60 FPS (I use -fpscap 63 and limit the framerate to 60 in Catalyst Control Center' -- if I only use CCC to limit frame rate I get noticeable tearing).

Micas
15-08-2015, 23:33
FWIW, I get no crashes and 98%+ utilization on both GPUs, rain or shine.

TrevorAustin
16-08-2015, 00:34
FWIW, I get no crashes and 98%+ utilization on both GPUs, rain or shine.

I can guarantee you won't get that on one GPU if you borrow my rift:) looking at your system, which is awesome and the settings you would expect to use, then lower them a bit, and you'd get about 55%, maybe lower after the latest patch And a crash at game exit every 3rd time, but that is down to Oculus.

yawn
18-08-2015, 17:19

@Airplanek8..... What did Jermey Clarkson tell you all along months ago? .... "Your wasting your time trying to help these devs!" and boy he was correct all along....

Patch 3.0 has been release and this game STILL cannot utilize SLI correctly, we're still talking 40-50% usage on both cards depending on the track/car combo

SMS PC lead said he "would fix this"... 4 months has past and it's still broken.

BTW DEVS.... we don't want a few extra fps! We want to be able to use our cards to their full potential, I'm talking 100% usage on both cards, which will generate far more than a few fps! - like every other game. Not 40% usage as it is today and has been since release! If you cannot do this then I suggest you stop and think, "why are we even developing a 2nd Project cars if the first still isn't up to scratch!", because I'm telling you now, you will not get alot of sales from pcars2. Oh yea, I am tracking the funds which people have put into pcars2, and it certainly isn't rising fast (for obvious reasons!). Well done, you have raised a mere 5k in 2 weeks, good luck reaching 7 million - Just shows how much interest has been lost in this company.

Sort your priorities out!

TrevorAustin
18-08-2015, 17:22
@Airplanek8..... What did Jermey Clarkson tell you all along months ago? .... "Your wasting your time trying to help these devs!" and boy he was correct all along....

Patch 3.0 has been release and this game STILL cannot utilize SLI correctly, we're still talking 40-50% usage on both cards depending on the track/car combo

SMS PC lead said he "would fix this"... 4 months has past and it's still broken.

Was it really worth rejoining for yet another dig.

yawn
18-08-2015, 17:39
Actually I tell you what Devs, why don't you keep this game running like a bag of sh*t, and I'll just keep making youtube videos about how bad the game is, afterall it's making me mint with Google ad sense whilst generating thousands of views and likes!

The funny thing is, I will probably generate more income from making youtube videos about how bad project cars is, than you will generate from project cars 2........

TrevorAustin
18-08-2015, 17:42
Actually I tell you what Devs, why don't you keep this game running like a bag of sh*t, and I'll just keep making youtube videos about how bad the game is, afterall it's making me mint with Google ad sense whilst generating thousands of views and likes!

Oh grow up, nobody cares, the forum is actually pretty good now aince you and most of the other kiddies moved over to the codemasters forum.

yawn
18-08-2015, 17:48
lmao listen to u. The forum may be good (in your eyes) , but the game still isn't.

It doesn't take a genius to work out how much interest has been lost on this game. Look at the Steam reviews for example, it's now at 76% and dropping. Videos all over youtube about how bad the game is with thousands of likes, and next to no dislikes.

My point is they cannot correctly optimise their first release, and yet they are asking for YOUR money again to develope a second release. Pffffttt..

PzR Slim
18-08-2015, 17:49

BTW DEVS.... we don't want a few extra fps! We want to be able to use our cards to their full potential, I'm talking 100% usage on both cards, which will generate far more than a few fps! - like every other game. Not 40% usage as it is today and has been since release! If you cannot do this then I suggest you stop and think, "why are we even developing a 2nd Project cars if the first still isn't up to scratch!", because I'm telling you now, you will not get alot of sales from pcars2. Oh yea, I am tracking the funds which people have put into pcars2, and it certainly isn't rising fast (for obvious reasons!). Well done, you have raised a mere 5k in 2 weeks, good luck reaching 7 million - Just shows how much interest has been lost in this company.

I get 98% & 94% utilisation on my 780Ti SLi setup.

yawn
18-08-2015, 17:52
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46RbUpatlTk

Opps....

1791 likes... 159 dislikes

Sums up SMS.

PzR Slim
18-08-2015, 17:56

Opps....

Sums up SMS.

I enjoy the game tremendously. By the way is that a comedy accent you put on in your vids?

Bealdor
18-08-2015, 17:57

The funny thing is, I will probably generate more income from making youtube videos about how bad project cars is, than you will generate from project cars 2........

lmao listen to u. The forum may be good (in your eyes) , but the game still isn't.

It doesn't take a genius to work out how much interest has been lost on this game. Look at the Steam reviews for example, it's now at 76% and dropping. Videos all over youtube about how bad the game is with thousands of likes, and next to no dislikes.

My point is they cannot correctly optimise their first release, and yet they are asking for YOUR money again to develope a second release. Pffffttt..

Opps....

Sums up SMS.

Sorry I was off to get some food. Bye!

SwiftyOne
18-08-2015, 20:58
I enjoy the game tremendously. By the way is that a comedy accent you put on in your vids?

Yep! The guy's a star at kermit the frog, wonder if he still luvs miss piggy?

TrevorAustin
18-08-2015, 21:08
Yep! The guy's a star at kermit the frog, wonder if he still luvs miss piggy?

Lol,. has he got a really stupid voice, I can just picture him:)215483

Airplanek8
24-08-2015, 01:44
Well, I got tired of waiting and went ahead and bought a 4790K. Runs good with everything on max but reflections at high. It's the only highest possible combination that won't have me dip lower than 55 FPS with 30 cars and heavy fog and rain.

Ripgroove
24-08-2015, 06:42

I agree that something needs sorting to improve SLI utilisation BUT if you keep on like this then all that will happen is this thread will get locked and then there will be no help for anyone.

Ripgroove
24-08-2015, 06:43
I get 98% & 94% utilisation on my 780Ti SLi setup.

As do I (780ti SC SLI) in the dry, yet 50% in the wet.

TrevorAustin
24-08-2015, 06:54
Well, I got tired of waiting and went ahead and bought a 4790K. Runs good with everything on max but reflections at high. It's the only highest possible combination that won't have me dip lower than 55 FPS with 30 cars and heavy fog and rain.

That's great news but expensive. I do hope they will accept there is a cpu usage problem with rhis game. I haven't had any doubt for weeks.

Airplanek8
24-08-2015, 20:41
That's great news but expensive. I do hope they will accept there is a cpu usage problem with rhis game. I haven't had any doubt for weeks.

Yeah, I agree with you and Ripgroove. The sli usage still goes below 85% with fps below 60. Not always, but clearly should be increasing to near 100% usage to attempt to bring it back to 60fps. I have experienced both of these issues in an overclocked i5 and now an i7. Maybe now I will be advised to buy a latest gen CPU so I can fully get rid of this. There certainly is a utilization problem. Seems the only way to fix it/reduce it, is a lot of money to spend on high end pc parts.

Regards,

Rosster
25-08-2015, 10:56
Well, I got tired of waiting and went ahead and bought a 4790K.

Well if you're going to go down the 'throwing money' at the problem route rather than insisting that the developer meets its responsibilities to its customers, then you may as well have gone down the X99 and 5820K CPU road.

If we let them off the hook, the same problem will arise in PC2.

Ripgroove
25-08-2015, 11:07
FYI I bought a 4790k recently and although it did make a bit of a difference, I still get FPS dips to 40/50 with rain and a full grid no matter what graphics settings are used.

Rosster
25-08-2015, 11:23
FYI I bought a 4790k recently and although it did make a bit of a difference, I still get FPS dips to 40/50 with rain and a full grid no matter what graphics settings are used.

Putting in a more powerful engine won't help a car run better if the tyres are flat...:)

Ripgroove
25-08-2015, 11:28
I didn't buy it just for this game

Rosster
25-08-2015, 11:29
I didn't buy it just for this game

Glad to hear it as you'd have wasted your money if you did.

Ripgroove
25-08-2015, 11:44
Glad to hear it as you'd have wasted your money if you did.

Not really as you don't know what CPU I had before?! Anyway Pcars physics seem pretty CPU dependent and my PC is used for many things so more CPU power is always handy.

Airplanek8
25-08-2015, 21:34
Well if you're going to go down the 'throwing money' at the problem route rather than insisting that the developer meets its responsibilities to its customers, then you may as well have gone down the X99 and 5820K CPU road.

If we let them off the hook, the same problem will arise in PC2.

If 4+ months were not enough to fix this SLI problem, it is not going to get fixed. It's not "popular" enough. I'm done beating it. But, you're right; I didn't get the most powerful CPU available. Unfortunately, my "throw money at it" has a boundary as well.

Ripgroove
25-08-2015, 21:54
If 4+ months were not enough to fix this SLI problem, it is not going to get fixed. It's not "popular" enough. I'm done beating it. But, you're right; I didn't get the most powerful CPU available. Unfortunately, my "throw money at it" has a boundary as well.

+1 the devs clearly can't solve this issue and we can't just throw unlimited money at it. I really wanted to like this game but whenever I pick it up there's always something that needs looking at. Right now my main gripes are poor SLI usage, the ABS function has vanished from Fanatec pedals and the fact there is no easy way to tune a car to match the exact conditions found in TT. All of which should be fairly simple fixes.

nolag
26-08-2015, 12:07
The devs probably just used the resources the new consoles gave them. That means they were able to use a lot more draw calls and bandwidth than before. The pc platform has the pcie bus between cpu and gpu which the new console APUs don't have. Even with pcie 4.0 the pc will have only half the bandwidth of the xbox one between cpu and gpu. The inter gpu communication in SLI/Crossfire just makes things worse.
To optimize performance for SLI/Crossfire configurations they would probably have to make some fundamental changes to the game engine or assets. If there was a cheap and easy solution they would already have done it to help the much larger community of people with AMD gpus who are still suffering for the same reasons. If we are lucky and the problem is just caused by driver latency it will be solved by the dx12 engine update.

Klunt Bumskrint
27-08-2015, 05:46
Win 10 solved it for me. Always smooth now :)

lacslyer
29-08-2015, 18:22
Pretty astounding this is still an issue tbh. Just bought my second 970 this week and was more than disappointed when I only gained about 5 fps (from 55 to 60) staying on pretty conservative settings that I used with a single 970.

May have to try Windows 10 to see if that helps any...

F1Aussie
30-08-2015, 01:22
i didnt notice any fps increase at all when i went to Win 10

Ice Man
31-08-2015, 23:11
I had stuttering issues with Win7. Went to Win10 and it's gone. FPS still the same. I'm running on DX9 though.

But SLI no way of working.

Airplanek8
03-09-2015, 21:18
Pretty astounding this is still an issue tbh. Just bought my second 970 this week and was more than disappointed when I only gained about 5 fps (from 55 to 60) staying on pretty conservative settings that I used with a single 970.

Win 10 does not make a difference. Unless they can find and fix, you won't gain improvements unless you buy better gear. Sadly.

McClusky
04-09-2015, 14:24

What are your pc specs? I'm running pcars on triples with 2 970's without issue but I don't run with a full field I usually run with 10 to 15 cars but I do run with various times and weather conditions.

Sankyo
04-09-2015, 14:29
It makes things a lot less guessing and assuming when you all would post your hardware specs when discussing performance changes/differences/expectations w.r.t. hardware.

As for Win10 giving a noticeable performance boost for some, I believe that is simply an indication that in the previous Win version there was actually an issue. There is little reason to expect huge improvements between Win7 and Win10, except perhaps for AMD GPUs.

McClusky
04-09-2015, 17:34
It makes things a lot less guessing and assuming when you all would post your hardware specs when discussing performance changes/differences/expectations w.r.t. hardware.

Along with the above also post your graphics settings

nolag
04-09-2015, 18:25
A second 970 does not seem to help in getting higher framerates at ultra settings on a single monitor. For some reason especially ultra reflections limit the SLI scaling. Currently you have to at least set reflections to high and experiment with lowering some other settings like shadows and AA to improve usage of the second card. There is some speculation why some of the settings limit SLI scaling that much but pcie bus latency is high on the list because people with x79 and x99 boards experience better SLI scaling.

Rosster
06-09-2015, 17:12
. For some reason especially ultra reflections limit the SLI scaling.

Well AFAIK, the only way in which SLI frame rates suffer like that, when not GPU limited, is if the CPU is being maxed out and can't supply the GPU's with enough raw data, hence the drop in frame rate as the GPU waits for the CPU to catch up.

I'm assuming the developers allocate so many CPU cycles to updating the reflection calculations, so one can only assume that there is some fundamental problem with how many CPU cycles are being taken up calculating the said reflections.

Personally I think they've realised it would take a major re-write of the game engine to fix it and have simply decided it's not worth the effort.

Having said that, can anyone honestly say they can see any discernible difference between high and ultra settings anyway?

Michael Moe
06-09-2015, 19:26
Well AFAIK, the only way in which SLI frame rates suffer like that, when not GPU limited, is if the CPU is being maxed out and can't supply the GPU's with enough raw data, hence the drop in frame rate as the GPU waits for the CPU to catch up.

I'm assuming the developers allocate so many CPU cycles to updating the reflection calculations, so one can only assume that there is some fundamental problem with how many CPU cycles are being taken up calculating the said reflections.

Personally I think they've realised it would take a major re-write of the game engine to fix it and have simply decided it's not worth the effort.

Having said that, can anyone honestly say they can see any discernible difference between high and ultra settings anyway?

There is a big difference regarding ultra and high. AI cars for instance has reflections in the water on ground

Michael Moe

nolag
07-09-2015, 08:23
Well AFAIK, the only way in which SLI frame rates suffer like that, when not GPU limited, is if the CPU is being maxed out and can't supply the GPU's with enough raw data, hence the drop in frame rate as the GPU waits for the CPU to catch up. ...
According to the devs it is not that simple. AFAIK, the devs actually expected GPU usage to go up with ultra reflections and environment because reflections are gpu shader based calculations. The current speculation is that it is the inter-gpu synchronization for reflections and environment mapping that indirectly leads to higher CPU usage due to additional driver overhead and adds bus latency due to the additional PCIe bandwidth usage.

TrevorAustin
07-09-2015, 10:29
According to the devs it is not that simple. AFAIK, the devs actually expected GPU usage to go up with ultra reflections and environment because reflections are gpu shader based calculations. The current speculation is that it is the inter-gpu synchronization for reflections and environment mapping that indirectly leads to higher CPU usage due to additional driver overhead and adds bus latency due to the additional PCIe bandwidth usage.

That sounds very credible, however I haven't seen the Devs accept that at any point, is this from another thread somewhere? The only thing I see come from the devs is is should be working and works fine on their systems, for both this and the DK2 problems, never any acceptance there is an issue that hadn't been expected/seen and could be worked on.

nolag
07-09-2015, 11:35
That sounds very credible, however I haven't seen the Devs accept that at any point, is this from another thread somewhere? The only thing I see come from the devs is is should be working and works fine on their systems, for both this and the DK2 problems, never any acceptance there is an issue that hadn't been expected/seen and could be worked on.
Indeed, nobody acknowledged that there is indication of a problem they would have to work on. Here (http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?22928-Terrible-SLI-GPU-usage&p=1001325&viewfull=1#post1001325) is a comment where SMS PC Lead explains that decreased GPU usage with ultra reflections is not what you would expect. This (http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?22928-Terrible-SLI-GPU-usage&p=1001018&viewfull=1#post1001018) is the related post where the possible causes are explained. Sounds like they were looking for a plausible explanation basically saying your mileage may vary depending on your system.

Michael Moe
08-09-2015, 06:13
Maybe there is more to it but last night i was able to have reflections on ultra light rain , and getting the SLI at around 65-85% on SPA in the Lotos Renualt but on free practice.

The CPU was at 98-100% running I7-4770K@4,6GHZ and FPS around 75-125fps 1920x1200 everything on ultra , grass on low.

AI reflections may be the bottleneck not alowing the GPUīs to maximize?

Michael moe

PostBox981
04-10-2015, 17:47
Same problem here. Unfortunately I bought a second GTX970 before I found this thread. I play with v-sync running and since I have sli I have changed to DS4X downsampling mode, which works fine with 60 fps most of the time. Today I ran an invitational event at Donington Short (overcast but no rain) in a Caterham and sometimes for whatever reason fps went down to about 45 with cpu load between 75-85% and both gpuīs running at around 55-65%. In other words: no component running at the edge but still fps below target.

So yes, sli is giving me better performance, as I wasnīt able go gain 60 fps in single gpu mode before. But having both gpuīs running below target is not what I expected.

Ripgroove
04-10-2015, 18:06
Same problem here. Unfortunately I bought a second GTX970 before I found this thread. I play with v-sync running and since I have sli I have changed to DS4X downsampling mode, which works fine with 60 fps most of the time. Today I ran an invitational event at Donington Short (overcast but no rain) in a Caterham and sometimes for whatever reason fps went down to about 45 with cpu load between 75-85% and both gpuīs running at around 55-65%. In other words: no component running at the edge but still fps below target.

So yes, sli is giving me better performance, as I wasnīt able go gain 60 fps in single gpu mode before. But having both gpuīs running below target is not what I expected.

Sadly it's been so long now that there must be a reason why it hasn't been fixed yet. My guess is it's something to ingrained into the game that simply can't be sorted now. My only real logical step would be to now sell my SLI setup and get a 980ti or Titan single GPU.

PostBox981
04-10-2015, 18:26
Sadly it's been so long now that there must be a reason why it hasn't been fixed yet. My guess is it's something to ingrained into the game that simply can't be sorted now. My only real logical step would be to now sell my SLI setup and get a 980ti or Titan single GPU.

Yeah, same thoughts I had. Itīs just... both 970s are brand new. Donīt want to give them away for little money. Quite disappointing that is. Have seen quite a lot of signatures of people running sli, never thought it would not function correctly.

Antidamage
05-10-2015, 00:44
So this is STILL broken? Did they just stop work on pCars 1 when they announced pCars 2?

PostBox981
05-10-2015, 17:52
So this is STILL broken? Did they just stop work on pCars 1 when they announced pCars 2?

No, work in progress. Didnīt you realise we had patch 4.0 a few days ago? I also think it to be right that this is a problem that canīt just simply be fixed with a few lines of new code. Have no clue about coding though.

Antidamage
05-10-2015, 19:29
I only have whatever Steam has.

I AM a programmer and I would expect a higher level of engagement with their customers when there's a world-breaking bug in place for nearly a year. It should have been fixed long ago, that it hasn't just confirms that they're not working on fixing it. It looks more like the rest of the team is working on the sequel and the current title has been left to a couple of guys to maintain.

Don't give them your money second time around, just try a completely different sim by a different developer.

PostBox981
07-10-2015, 19:34

I AM a programmer and I would expect a higher level of engagement with their customers when there's a world-breaking bug in place for nearly a year. It should have been fixed long ago, that it hasn't just confirms that they're not working on fixing it. It looks more like the rest of the team is working on the sequel and the current title has been left to a couple of guys to maintain.

Don't give them your money second time around, just try a completely different sim by a different developer.

Too late! I already passed some money to SMS for pCars2 and so far I donīt regret. As I donīt regret to have bought pCars1. Before I played F1 2012 and it took me over 2 years to get one complete season finished , total playing time 80 hrs referring to steam. In pCars I have already done some 160 hrs within less than a year, so it canīt be that bad.

On the other hand I must admit that a few points are disappointing, as this game has been developed in collaboration with the community. I think of things like the strange AI behaviour, empty pits, no marshals waving flags and last but not least the sli bug. I didnīt follow the forum when the game still was under development, but for sure some people were discussing these points. Well, I expected EVERYTHING to be a 100% right for me, but for sure I expected a little too much. There will never be a computer game fulfilling every single tiny wish of mine. Maybe I am too demanding... ~

N0body Of The Goat
07-10-2015, 20:03

I AM a programmer and I would expect a higher level of engagement with their customers when there's a world-breaking bug in place for nearly a year.

On planet Earth, there are 12 months to a year.

pCARS has been available as a retail product for ~5.5 months, not even half a year.

So on what planet do you live on, where this is almost a year? :p

Traummann
14-10-2015, 09:53
After all the patches the games runs definitive better with SLI than before.
But still not 100% fixed.

Calvin
21-10-2015, 13:22
I have been away from the game for a few months. Last night i plugged it into my new 4K screen and still the SLI performance is not equal on card usage. Crazy! Oh well, it runs well enough.

Invincible
17-11-2015, 06:55
Hello guys,

I recently bought another GTX770, which is bound to arrive today or tomorrow. Does anyone know how well the game scales in SLI? Or does anyone around here runs with two 770's too and know what I can expect in terms of performance?

I know, a single 980 would probably be better, but I got a Zotac 4gb GTX770 for 75 €, so I couldn't resist. :D

Bealdor
17-11-2015, 06:58
Merged with main SLI discussion thread.

Invincible
17-11-2015, 10:13
No one? :(

PostBox981
17-11-2015, 20:17
Changing from one to two 970s brought me from 50-70 fps to 90-110 fps, same graphics options. While before I was on 1920x1080 MSAA HIGH + SMAA somewhat it took me to even DS6X with no MSAA. By now I upgraded to triple screen setup@5760x1080 and even DS2M (is it M?) is still working fine.

Donīt know whether this information takes you any further though...

PostBox981
29-11-2015, 18:27
Half a year of pCars done now but I still encounter the SLI probs mentioned above. Got the feeling that it mainly happens in any MP mode.

Normally my pCars works fine with 2x GTX970, triple screen @ 5760x1080 dpi, DS2X, v-sync = on. But in MP I often get a poor 25-30 fps though. "Often" means, this is happening by coincidence. When attending an MP race there is not much you can do about it, you can either quit or try to live with it. Not much fun.

Today I experienced this in TT on Hockenheim Classic. Right at the session start I had poor 27 fps with both nvidias at around 40% load. I restarted session and it was exactly the same again. Restarting again and I was back to constant 60 fps without having changed anything. So there is no point in discussing my video setups nor my hardware or hardware settings. I just didnīt change anything, only restarted session a few times.

I guess I donīt tell you any news here and I have to admit I didnīt work my way through all 68 pages of this thread. Just thought it would be a good idea to bring this thread up to the "todayīs posts" list again. Iīm afraid one day SMS will stop developing this game and I donīt want it to be left with some issues like this bloody SLI bug for the rest of all times. Which would be a real shame, as I really love this game, spending every single second I can afford in front of my wheel.

Peter
29-11-2015, 21:28
@derkanzler: I would like so much to play pCars (bought it months ago) but the lack of real triples support, the lack of 3dvision (only mod available) and the lack of native sli support makes it not worth any effort to play IMO, because I use all of them.

Mahjik
29-11-2015, 22:56
Normally my pCars works fine with 2x GTX970, triple screen @ 5760x1080 dpi, DS2X, v-sync = on. But in MP I often get a poor 25-30 fps though. "Often" means, this is happening by coincidence. When attending an MP race there is not much you can do about it, you can either quit or try to live with it. Not much fun.

FPS during MP has nothing to do with your system, but more of the connections of all the drivers racing at the same time. If there is lag, it slows everything down. If you FPS is fine in SP mode, but has some issues with MP, then it has absolutely nothing to do with SLI.

PostBox981
30-11-2015, 19:18
FPS during MP has nothing to do with your system, but more of the connections of all the drivers racing at the same time. If there is lag, it slows everything down. If you FPS is fine in SP mode, but has some issues with MP, then it has absolutely nothing to do with SLI.

Well I didnīt only mean MP races but TT as well. I am all on my own then. Started a TT for the first time --> 27 fps. Restarted session --> 27 fps. Restarted session again --> 60 fps. I experience that very often when internet connection is important for the gaming mode, I normally DONīT experience it in single race, free practice, career mode.

As I have a 50 Mbit/s internet connection with at least 3 MB/s (~3x8 = 24 Mbit/s) getting to my PC, I donīt believe the Problem is on my side. It more seems to happen by coincidence whenever I start an MP race or TT session.

@Peter: Considering there is no native support for SLI/triple screen it is generally working fine for me. Unfortunately not all the time...

MISTER WU
30-11-2015, 22:26
Well I donīt only meant MP races but TT as well. I am all on my own then. Started a TT for the first time --> 27 fps. Restarted session --> 27 fps. Restarted session again --> 60 fps. I experience that very often when internet connection is important for the gaming mode, I normally DONīT experience it in single race, free practice, career mode.

As I have a 50 Mbit/s internet connection with at least 3 MB/s (~3x8 = 24 Mbit/s) getting to my PC, I donīt believe the Problem is on my side. It more seems to happen by coincidence whenever I start an MP race or TT session.

@Peter: Considering there is no native support for SLI/triple screen it is generally working fine for me. Unfortunately not all the time...

50 Mbit/s devided by 8 (Allowing for network overhead) you should be able to download at roughly 6.25 Mbit/s, what i cannot understand is why a lag issue on the network/MP player side of the game has anything to do with FPS loss.
Most games just make the laggy car invisible but the rest of the map layers do not get effected, well every other online game i have ever played does something similar.

i can play Dirt Rally/ Grid AutoSport/Dirt 2 and 3 online with some really bad laggers but the game doesn't lose a single FPS in speed so i would ask why does pCars get effected by lag?

PostBox981
01-12-2015, 19:13
50 Mbit/s devided by 8 (Allowing for network overhead) you should be able to download at roughly 6.25 Mbit/s, what i cannot understand is why a lag issue on the network/MP player side of the game has anything to do with FPS loss.
Most games just make the laggy car invisible but the rest of the map layers do not get effected, well every other online game i have ever played does something similar.

i can play Dirt Rally/ Grid AutoSport/Dirt 2 and 3 online with some really bad laggers but the game doesn't lose a single FPS in speed so i would ask why does pCars get effected by lag?

I absolutely agree with you that a weak internet connection will never lead to fps loss. It is simply an observation of mine that the SLI glitch near to never happens in any SP mode but in two of three times in MP modes.

Whenever I start a session it is either okay with constant 60 fps or the SLI issue is right there with ~25 fps from (the same) beginning and with GPU load around 30-40% on both GPUs. As it happens very often in MP or TT sessions I just thought that there is a correlation.

PostBox981
02-12-2015, 19:06
This morning I tried to do some research in a more "scientific" way. I started a TT session (Lotus 49C at Hockenheim Classic) with running GPU-Z on my fourth screen. I planned to restart session 9x in order to get 10 results of fps and GPU usage. Each time I didnīt touch wheel or pedals, just let the car run into the grass on itīs own until it stopped.

This is what happened:
No. 1 gave me 37 fps at 99% GPU load :no:
No. 2 - 6 or 7 gave me 60 fps at 97-99% GPU load :yes:
Didnīt run any more tests then.

But look what happened during No 5 or 6 (pay attention to the green frame):

For some seconds GPU usage was constantly decreasing, then down to zero and back to normal again. As I was watching GPU-Z I have no clue what happened to fps within these seconds as well as I donīt know what GPU2 was doing. But for sure you will agree this is no normal behaviour.

Maybe somebody reading this has an idea what the flaw in pCars code might be. Me I have no clue of coding. But hopefully this helps to find the problem.

lollygag
02-12-2015, 20:39
This issue only just started at 3rd patch, Its somthing they changed in the rendering engine and its fucking driving me crazy.. it happens 8 out of 10 times I start a new race.. It essentially disables SLI and the framerate drops from 120fps to 25/30fps. This is a serious problem for some SLI users configs but few enough that it has not come to light yet.

When the framerate drops it will almost never regain, but I've found exactly how to restore it within the current MP session (which proves to me its somthing they did in the rendering engine) and it doesn't re-occur while in that session.

When the framerate drops;
hit Esc and return to pitbox. in the pitbox clic "monitor" then clic the camera on the bottom controller bar 5 times so your in the outside track view, it only works from this view, now clic the "eye" on the left to hide the HUD and your framerate will return to normal and stay that way for the remainder of the session.

THIS, I think is what changed to cause this problem, from the PC Patch 3.0 release notes;

* Implemented support for Oculus 0.6.0.1 SDK.
* Added support for a separate Graphics profile “GraphicsConfigOculusDX11.xml” when running with the Oculus Rift. This means that you can now set your graphic details to high/max when playing without the Rift, and turn the details down for optimum performance when using the Rift and the game will maintain both configurations and apply the applicable one automatically.
* Auto disabled Crepuscular rays, Vignette and full screen raindrops.
* Fixed excessive object pop-in in Oculus Rift mode that was caused by the modified field of view used in VR.
* Shadow support – further work towards getting shadow support fully implemented.
* Fixed SLI/XFire windowed mode performance issues – SLI/XFire isn't available in windowed mode, but several Renderer paths were still active, resulting in reduced performance, most notably for Oculus Rift which fakes a windowed mode.
* Added a command-line option "-vrnomirror" that disables the desktop mirror. This will gain around 3-4% performance.
* Fixed the issue where non cockpit view cameras were not incorporating the head-pose position correctly, which caused the camera to be spawned very low down.
* Fixed the issue where the view in the Oculus Rift froze when returning to the main menu after a race.
* Fixed the issue where using FXAA caused black/opaque rendering when using Oculus Rift.

I think this should provide a hint to Martin or the other rendering devs what can be done to fix this issue if someone can make sure that they see this post.

PostBox981
03-12-2015, 17:23
Hey lollygag,

thanks alot for taking your time. I will try that next time I find some time for playing. Not the solution though, but at least a workaround that could make my few online sessions work properly. 25 fps nearly makes concentrated racing impossible. And you are very right, this could be at least a good hint to what could be the reason for that issue.

PostBox981
11-12-2015, 17:38
Seems to work very well for me in all race modes. tried it today a few times. I just pushed the pause button, went to replay and clocked on the "eye" button to remove the menu. After tah my game was back to 60 fps. Thanks again, lollygag! :yes:

adi518
22-12-2015, 00:03
What's the latest update as far as SLI configs go? I boot up Pcars after quite some time and my graphics settings were messed up. I recalled enabling V-sync, but then I still had some fps drops so I enabled smooth Vsync in NV CP. Now it maintains constant 60 fps near ultra settings so seems fine. Is there anything else I might forgot? thanks.

SwiftyOne
22-12-2015, 00:22
What's the latest update as far as SLI configs go? I boot up Pcars after quite some time and my graphics settings were messed up. I recalled enabling V-sync, but then I still had some fps drops so I enabled smooth Vsync in NV CP. Now it maintains constant 60 fps near ultra settings so seems fine. Is there anything else I might forgot? thanks.

If your playing on PC with Steam....You might think about to delete your profile and your graphicsconfigdx11.xml....If you've not played pCARS for a few months, we are on Patch 7.00 now :) But by doing this delete be aware the you will lose all games saves, like championships and all other stuff that you might have saved :)

Your profile is here: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\code\again code\local\project cars\profiles
Your graphicsconfigdx11.xml is here: C:\Users\yourname\Documents\Project CARS

PostBox981
22-12-2015, 17:47
Had the Win10 1511 update a few days ago (hate it, see http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?43269-1511-Fed-up-with-Win10) and an nVidia driver update today. Have been playing quite a few hours (sp and mp) without any SLI trouble. Anybody else?

Sankyo
22-12-2015, 17:53
Haven't been playing that much the past months but now that I drove a few times the past days I noticed that when I start driving, FPS is very low and choppy. Then if I keep on driving, at some point (often during the first lap, sometimes a bit later) suddenly the graphics go all smooth and stay that way. All in Free Practice BTW. Since the EVGA Precision FPS overlay doesn't work with pCARS for some reason, I cannot tell yet whether it's SLI kicking in or something else.

McClusky
23-12-2015, 18:18
Since the EVGA Precision FPS overlay doesn't work with pCARS for some reason, I cannot tell yet whether it's SLI kicking in or something else.

For what its worth the EVGA overlay works for me

poirqc
23-12-2015, 18:59
Haven't been playing that much the past months but now that I drove a few times the past days I noticed that when I start driving, FPS is very low and choppy. Then if I keep on driving, at some point (often during the first lap, sometimes a bit later) suddenly the graphics go all smooth and stay that way. All in Free Practice BTW. Since the EVGA Precision FPS overlay doesn't work with pCARS for some reason, I cannot tell yet whether it's SLI kicking in or something else.

I had that FPS ramp up frequently in earlier versions of the game. It stopped for me after some time. Was it fixed with pCars updates, or me moving from a GTX560 to a GTX960, i don't know.

I just don't see that anymore.

lollygag
23-12-2015, 21:20
...Since the EVGA Precision FPS overlay doesn't work with pCARS for some reason, I cannot tell yet whether it's SLI kicking in or something else.

Make sure that custom D3D support is enabled in RTSS;

PostBox981
28-12-2015, 17:20
Looks like I finally fixed it, at least for myself. :stung:

A few days ago I started a TT session and had poor 24 fps, simply unplayable. GPU-Z showed me there was only one GPU working, the other down to 0%. Looked just like one of my graphics cards had gone forever. I first checked the hardware and the SLI connector, everything was looking fine so far. Then I was fiddling around in the nVidia driver settings a while, but there again everything looking fine. Finally I went to my BIOS (or maybe UEFI?). As I didnīt find any issues there, all I changed was the PCI-E-settings for both graphics cards, changed both of them from "automatic" to "PCI-E 3.0".

Donīt know whether this is THE solution to save the world, but since then I have been doing a lot of TTs and MPs without any problems, rock solid 60 fps (apart from a few places where my GPUs donīt manage the 60s anyway). :cool:

Rosster
01-01-2016, 11:39
Fixed my arse....all usage figures WELL within limits, yet framerate is in the mid 40's:

Game running at 1440p (image resized to 1080p for forum posting)

http://i.picpar.com/rbEb.png

PC Spec:

4690K (4.5Ghz)
Asus Strix 970SLI (1475Mhz)
8GB DDR3 2600Mhz.

Sankyo
01-01-2016, 12:14
Fixed my arse....all usage figures WELL within limits, yet framerate is in the mid 40's:

Game running at 1440p (image resized to 1080p for forum posting)

http://i.picpar.com/rbEb.png

PC Spec:

4690K (4.5Ghz)
Asus Strix 970SLI (1475Mhz)
8GB DDR3 2600Mhz.

GPU usage is very low in that screenshot, so something is bottlenecking. I'm getting >90% GPU usage on my system.

jschenard
01-01-2016, 12:44
GPU usage is very low in that screenshot, so something is bottlenecking. I'm getting >90% GPU usage on my system.

He should try using multithreading in the nvidia Menu.

Creating a PCars profile and put multi thread to "on" should improve a lot. I have done that and it made a lot of improvement.

N0body Of The Goat
01-01-2016, 13:20
Try adding the following to pCARS in your Steam library > right-click pCARS> properties> launch commands...

-dx11mt [Multi-threaded graphics rendering]

You can add a mass of launch commands, just put a space between each one, including...
-pthreads {choose 1-4} [number of threads for tyre physics]
-insane [reflections of other cars around you rendered on your car, when environmental mapping is set to "ultra"]
-autods [when you create an online server, it will attempt to use a free public configurable dedicated server, highly recommended for planned driver numbers in excess of ~10]
-novr [disables occulus rift render path]
-dx11ST [single threaded graphics rendering]
-x86 [run pCARS in 32-bit mode, even if you have a 64-bit pc and 64-bit windows]
-dx9 [run pCARS in DirectX 9 mode, be warned it runs much worse than default dx11]
-devcameras [not sure if this still works in retail, adds more camera views]
-windowsize x,y [run in window mode, "x,y" is resolution you wish to run in]
-skipcrowds [remove trackside characters for upto ~10% framerate boost, well worth doing for most AMD and some low-end Nvidia graphics cards]

Rosster
01-01-2016, 15:12
Can someone please explain to me this...

Sitting in the car, all AI opponents have raced off and my GPU usage is an average 65% and I'm getting 45fps.

http://i.picpar.com/VbEb.png

Then I move the helmet camera up, GPU usage increases to an average 73% and I'm getting 60fps.

http://i.picpar.com/WbEb.png

CPU usage is within a few percentage points in both shots.

How can i be getting a 40% increase in frame rate with only a 8% increase in GPU usage, and why does GPU usage INCREASE when doing less?, its the complete opposite of what should be happening.

Crazy.

EDIT:

Thanks for previous suggestions BTW guys, tried them and it made no difference.

SwiftyOne
01-01-2016, 15:44
If you require help, please put your PC Specs into your signature...To do this: At the very top, and to the right of this page find "Control Panel" to the left of next page find "Edit Signature"....Also please put your ingame settings...This helps us to help you :)

Rosster
01-01-2016, 16:46
Done as requested.

jschenard
02-01-2016, 01:00
Settings to get the best visuals at 60 FPS.

You don't sacrifice nothing at all really.

Few things

Texture Resolution : Leave it at High. Under that is bad and not really beautiful

Texture Filtering : Over 8x is useless unless you want to play more than 1080P

VSYNC : No need since you lock the FPS at 60 via the steam launcher parameters

Antialiasing and FXAA - SMAA : DS6X is the best around here. DS6X is nice for screenshots but tax your system a lot even with the most high end card. Also with DS6x, you don't need to put FXAA or SMAA, put them disabled. The reason I like DS6x is with shadow. You will read people prefering DS2M but I really don't recommend this settings because you will see a lot of jitters on the track and it is not beautiful. With DS6X, no more dancing shadows
Reflections : High settings

Environement maps : really don't need it unless you would like to do some sort of screenshots or epic replay. You can keep it at medium

Track Details : Ultra is a killer while racing at night + Thunderstorm. You can achieve 60 FPS at day time without rain but you will get significant FPS drop as soon as the night will come in. If you want a smooth experience accross all conditions, I recommended leaving it at High. It is still beautiful and you won't really notice a thing.

Cars details : This one is really important. This is the settings that will make cars realistics. Keep it at ultra if possible for you

Shadow details : Keep it at high if possible, or you can downgrade it to low too. This is gorgeous at night.

Better mirror : I put disable. I don't care about my mirrors.

Blurry effect : I do not know why this setting exist first of all. In real life you won't see things blurry when you drive fast. Putting something different from disabled is a non sens lol

Grass details : Low is beautiful

Particles : Hugh for both particles settings.

You may notice that there is no crowds in the padocks too. I have removed them with -skipcrowds in the steam launcher setup. With crowd disabled, you are sure that you can save at least 10 FPS straight away.

NVIDIA SETTINGS

Look at the screenshot of the nvidia settings. Make sure to have at least threaded optimization to enable in order to use all the GPU avaible. Also make sure to force SLI

Hope this is help. please do not hesitate to comment or rectify

PSS : The YouTube video is still processing so for now only 360P is avaible. HD should be avaible soon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9TzWUE2Sak&feature=youtu.be

Mahjik
02-01-2016, 03:52
Done as requested.

All game settings @ Ultra except Grass, Particles (High) with FXAA

Does it make a difference if you set Environment Map and Reflections to HIGH instead of ULTRA?

Also, are you using the Enhanced Mirrors?

nolag
02-01-2016, 07:59
How can i be getting a 40% increase in frame rate with only a 8% increase in GPU usage, and why does GPU usage INCREASE when doing less?, its the complete opposite of what should be happening.

We have a plausible explanation from a developer in this thread. The assumption is that the use of ultra reflections and environment map settings can cause a lot of inter-gpu traffic over pcie that causes idle time for the gpus. So if there are less reflections on screen there is less idle time resulting in a higher frame rate and gpu usage.

Rosster
02-01-2016, 09:49
NAILED IT!!!!

After a laborious process of elimination, lowering each setting and restarting the game, I've discovered that dropping one single setting, 'reflections' from 'Ultra' to 'High', has transformed stability and FPS performance.

With just that one setting altered I'm now getting a solid 60fps from start to finish, in fact by dropping it to 'High' it's meant i can now run at even higher resolution (2880x1620 DSR) with grass & particle density increased to 'Ultra' from 'High' :)

For the record these are the settings I can run at now:
http://i.picpar.com/7gEb.png

In game, on the starting grid in the wet, where I would previously be getting ~45fps, its now a solid 60fps :) (2880x1620 downsized to 1080p for forum use)

http://i.picpar.com/8gEb.png

The thing I don't understand is that neither CPU or GPU usage has changed to any degree by lowering the reflections setting down one notch, yet the frame rate is now perfect.

..it's all very weird.

nolag
02-01-2016, 10:07
NAILED IT!!!!

After a laborious process of elimination, lowering each setting and restarting the game, I've discovered that dropping one single setting, 'reflections' from 'Ultra' to 'High', has transformed stability and FPS performance.

With just that one setting altered I'm now getting a solid 60fps from start to finish, in fact by dropping it to 'High' it's meant i can now run at even higher resolution (2880x1620 DSR) with grass & particle density increased to 'Ultra' from 'High' :)

Unfortunately this knowledge has been retrieved the hard way several times now in this thread. It should be put somewhere where people can find it. Currently it is burried several times in the 700 posts.

Rosster
02-01-2016, 10:30
The annoying this is that I clearly have the CPU & GPU headroom available and should be able to turn reflections to 'ultra' but there is obviously some fundamental bug with the Gfx engine to cause such a huge drop in GPU utilisation and subsequent drop in framerate.:(

nolag
02-01-2016, 13:58
The annoying this is that I clearly have the CPU & GPU headroom available and should be able to turn reflections to 'ultra' but there is obviously some fundamental bug with the Gfx engine to cause such a huge drop in GPU utilisation and subsequent drop in framerate.:(
Yes, it is annoying, but it works with a single card and with SLI on X chipsets. I can't really blame the devs that optimising an ultra effect for SLI on Z chipsets is not their top priority. We can as well blame Intel for only giving us half the pcie lanes in SLI on Z chipsets.

jschenard
02-01-2016, 14:42
NAILED IT!!!!

For the record these are the settings I can run at now:
http://i.picpar.com/7gEb.png

In game, on the starting grid in the wet, where I would previously be getting ~45fps, its now a solid 60fps :) (2880x1620 downsized to 1080p for forum use)

http://i.picpar.com/8gEb.png

The thing I don't understand is that neither CPU or GPU usage has changed to any degree by lowering the reflections setting down one notch, yet the frame rate is now perfect.

..it's all very weird.

Can yoy Try putting at leat DS4X and remove any Fxaa and SMAA and tell me what are tout results? If you can achieve 60FPS with at least DS4X you will notice a much more accurate render of everything

Rosster
02-01-2016, 14:42
Yes, it is annoying, but it works with a single card and with SLI on X chipsets. I can't really blame the devs that optimising an ultra effect for SLI on Z chipsets is not their top priority. We can as well blame Intel for only giving us half the pcie lanes in SLI on Z chipsets.

So a single 980Ti with a mild overclock, which would be as fast as my two 970's, would solve the problem because it wouldn't be trying to share data over the pcie lanes?

Rosster
02-01-2016, 14:45
If you can achieve 60FPS with at least DS4X you will notice a much more accurate render of everything

Thing is, when you start running stuff at 2880x1620 or higher, you really don't need any form of AA, certainly not as high DS4X, as the increase in pixel density does the job of AA, but I'll give it a go and let you know the results, but I know it won't be 60fps.

jschenard
02-01-2016, 14:54
Thanks.

Just make sure to disable all FXAA and SMAA with this mode as you don't need it with that kind of AA.

The reason I am pushing DS4X and DS6X is because of the more reliable shadows and other effects.

If you are using crepuscular rays or racing in the morning you will see the difference on track. With MSAA and FXAA shadows are furiously dancing and blink while you don't see this effect with at least DS4X

jschenard
02-01-2016, 14:57
I have just noticed that you are playing more than 1080 P.

Maybe a DS2X with disabled FXAA and SMAA will do the trick for you. The goal here is to achieve at least 60 FPS on every conditions including thunderstorms at night lol.

If you can have 60+ FPS with 55 AI cars , night and thunderstorm at 24h du man's, you are good to go for everything with your settings.

N0body Of The Goat
02-01-2016, 16:05
My understanding is that Azure Circuit is the most demanding track, Spa (my benchmark) is not too far behind. I'm not sure off the top of my head where Le Mans sits relative to Azure and Spa.

Mahjik
02-01-2016, 18:56
So a single 980Ti with a mild overclock, which would be as fast as my two 970's, would solve the problem because it wouldn't be trying to share data over the pcie lanes?

Yes. There is overhead with SLI (not just with pCARS, it's just how SLI works). A powerful single card is always better. The 980Ti wasn't out when I did my SLI 970's, but had it been I would have done that instead.

jschenard
02-01-2016, 19:55
Yes. There is overhead with SLI (not just with pCARS, it's just how SLI works). A powerful single card is always better. The 980Ti wasn't out when I did my SLI 970's, but had it been I would have done that instead.

The overhead is non existent with Haswell-E and skylake

Mahjik
03-01-2016, 01:15

It's less, but never non-existent.

Mark Bevan
12-01-2016, 09:06
Unfortunately this knowledge has been retrieved the hard way several times now in this thread. It should be put somewhere where people can find it. Currently it is burried several times in the 700 posts.

Down in the 'PC - Technical Help & Support' section of the forum, there is a 'Technical TroubleShooting Steps' thread, which lists all of the graphics settings (amongst many other things) and the sensible settings for them. http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?22375-Technical-TroubleShooting-Steps-WIP-NO-CHAT-PLEASE

For Reflections, it says: 'Reflections: Self Explanatory - This is one of the overkill features. It looks nice indeed, but beware of performance!. Settings are off,low, med, high, ultra. Start with LOW even on high end system, If you drive Cockpit or bumper cam, you will *almost* not notice any graphical difference when keeping this to LOW.'

The Quickstart guide says this:
Certain parameters like Reflections, Environment Map and Shadows can have a significant impact on performance if set too high for a particular hardware configuration. With everything turned up to the maximum value, the game will tax even the most powerful systems currently available. Be sure to turn down settings that will have a significant impact on performance but only a minor impact on visual quality, to ensure smooth graphical performance when racing. Setting Reflections and Environment Map to their highest settings will only really be useful for taking pictures!
http://www.mediafire.com/view/mpssol2ey17bjo1/Project_CARS_Quickstart_Guide_v0.2.pdf

NAILED IT!!!!

Try making the same drop from Ultra to High for 'Environment Map', that you did for 'Reflections'.

You might also want to from FXAA down from High to Low (not much worse AA but less artefacts).

It might be worth experimenting with dropping the in game settings down, so that you can run more downsampling (which would be a big improvement). Running everything at High (maybe leaving Car Detail at Ultra) then experimenting with dropping Reflections, Environment Map & Shadows down to Medium, might allow you to run in game DS4X downsampling, instead of 2880x1620 DSR downsampling.

rauf0
31-03-2016, 14:59

I would say it has more common with DX11 than with particular platform. Sure with more PCI-E lanes multi gpu work more efficient, but i bet under DX11 overhead is still there.

I didn't test it for months, but now been talking with friend ab. SLI usage in different games here is what i found in pCARS:

-1080p/1440p single GPU usage stay high ar. 96-98%
-1080p/1440p SLI usage drop to ar. 55-70% anytime theres more than one car on track.

Nothing of old tricks help increase SLI load:

-command line like -novr -dx11mt
-lowering settings like grass, reflexion, particles, AA, -skipcrowds
-disabling UEFI options like EIST, eco options, lower state
-adaptive to efficiency in NV panel, disabling g-sync and other options like no. of prerender frames
-with/without overclock
-full screen/windowed
-removing user profile
-clean driver install (DDU)
-same for different tracks+car combo

Clearly there's problem with SLI. The only way I've found to push both card utilization over 90% is significantly increase the resolution with DSR or using extreme downsampling.

Example from my rig: Win X, newest drivers, i7 5960x 4.6GHz + Titan X SLI 1450/8000 MHz

always 20 AIs (no issue with one car remember)

1440p, cards usage ar. 55-70%
average fps gain from single to SLI = 45%

x1.2 DSR cards usage rise a bit
average fps from single to SLI = 63%

x4 DSR cards usage +90%
average fps from single to SLI = 88%

1440p + DS2X cards usage rise a bit
average fps from single to SLI = 65%

1440p + DS9X cards usage +90%
average fps from single to SLI = 89%

TL;DR - wanna full utilization, play pCARS at highest possible resolution ;)

btw hope what Stephen said in other topic will help general SLI optimization?

Hi Dualin.
2. SLI systems work perfectly fine in VR now, but for the time being you won't really get any performance benefit. We are working closely with NVidia on this though, and will post an update as and when there's news.
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?43740-Oculus-Rift-CV1-Discussion&p=1259255&viewfull=1#post1259255

ELAhrairah
22-04-2016, 20:46
Maybe a bit stupid as advise but who runs nvidia sli and surround don't forget to check in the nvidia 3d settings/management (manage 3d settings) to have Physx run by one card and not both ( a mistake i made). Make sure you only check one of the two cards for CUDA and Phsyx. Good luck