PDA

View Full Version : Lotus 72 is undrivable

Jweaver
09-05-2015, 20:11
Anyone had a crack at the Lotus 72? Its impossible to drive... If you give it full throttle the back end spj s round... Buteven if you build up the revs and get to a good speed at 1/2 throttle, you can never get to full throttle as the handling is all over the place when you do....

All you can do is potter arohnd the track at 1/2 throttle and there is no way to compete. In contrast the Lotus 78 is fine.. Its a handful for sure if you arnt smooth, but atleast you can drive it..

Anyone fancy testing thi to confirm?

CRU5557
09-05-2015, 20:17
It's very drivable with a little training. And It's very fast and fun.

Sankyo
09-05-2015, 20:20
Have you tried all the tyre types?

Jweaver
09-05-2015, 20:23
Have you tried all the tyre types?

Nope.. Every other car i have tried is drivable with standard tyres (perhaps not flat out, bit still possilbe to get around the track), but the 72 is near i possible and doesnt feel right....

Padmod
09-05-2015, 20:23
The classic F1 cars will probably be the most challenging to drive in the game. This is because they are from an era of immense power, low downforce and comparably basic tyre technology. You can't expect to just jump in them from the get go, put the throttle to the floor and go fast without any finesse, especially with a controller. Having said that, practice makes perfect, so keep trying. You'll get the hang of it eventually.

LtDuder
09-05-2015, 20:56
Yea man these cars were from a different time, a time when twenty five drivers would start every season in Formula One, and each year two or more of them would die. Lewis Hamilton goes round a corner, his back end slips a bit and he's like "crap I've lost 10,000th of a second". Fittipaldi's back end would slip and he'd be like "did I sign my will?"
I like the Lotus 78, that was the first 'ground effect' car in F1 that's why it handles like a dream.
I'd like to see the Brabham BT46b fan car the McLaren M23 and the six wheeled Tyrrell P34 as future DLC.

Jweaver
09-05-2015, 21:44
The classic F1 cars will probably be the most challenging to drive in the game. This is because they are from an era of immense power, low downforce and comparably basic tyre technology. You can't expect to just jump in them from the get go, put the throttle to the floor and go fast without any finesse, especially with a controller. Having said that, practice makes perfect, so keep trying. You'll get the hang of it eventually.

For the record, i know F1 and have followed it since i was a kid (1960s), so i watched this eara LIVE.

I have also been fortunate to have driven a number open wheel/single seaters for real, so i understand more than most.

But there is something about the Lotus 72 which feels wrong. I know what they are trying to convey (high power vs low traction), but it doesnt feel right...

Even when you get the car up to almost top speed (feathing the throttle) as soon as you go full throttle, the back wheels spin up, and thats not how it would be in a real life.

But if its what they intended it to be like, i am not qualified to say its wrong as i am sure they had people with more expertise than me....

blowfishrulez
10-05-2015, 05:52
I have my personal gripes with this car too. I found that it drives much more controllable with the 72 tires. Atm, the 74 tires are the default and give this snap oversteer for me.

dvc
10-05-2015, 13:34
Lewis Hamilton goes round a corner, his back end slips a bit and he's like "crap I've lost 10,000th of a second". Fittipaldi's back end would slip and he'd be like "did I sign my will?"
Ha. Good one. +1

Globaldutchy
10-05-2015, 13:52
Soft tires and a lot of down force should make it a bit better to control. I'm not sure if you can change times between gearshifts but that would help.

ALmullen
18-06-2015, 01:22
This is not a realistic feature...more if a glitch, there is no vehicle that is deaigned to perform in this manner.
The only thing you can do is turn the boost down to about 380, however, the kart will lack significant power.
It is not the setup nor tyres, that fixes the performance, it is a tune down of the wastegate (boost)

Diablo944
18-06-2015, 02:19
Whoever mentioned the six wheel tyrell, awesome suggestion. As a kid I had a dinky type car that your suggestion just rekindled a memory of. I remember racing it against a jps (black and gold) car. Lord knows how old I was (might have been thirty though, i never really grew up). Would love to drive that thing over a few circuits in pc.

Dam351
19-06-2015, 06:02
Although its got a deadly sideways kick hi in the rev range, if you turn all assists off and use gentle throttle application it's a really enjoyable experience imo. I don't think anyone would get in the 70s F1 death machines and go flat out straight away. So take your time and eventually you'll be gassing harder on each gear, once you can hit the rev limit in 5th, start winding 4th then 3rd etc. And as you start completing laps your times will drop by many seconds.

rotorrian
19-06-2015, 06:29
Don't forget to warm up your tires too it does take a while to get heat into those massive slicks

BDR Daz
19-06-2015, 07:48
First lap of the day after a 10 hour shift so not the greatest but still, looks pretty Driveable to me ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-ghCl1AkNk

FrontRowRacin_DP
19-06-2015, 11:03
The car can be quite driveable,it all depends on set up,how you drive it,and what track you are on,dont get me wrong,it is very tricky,i will though try and do a youtube video of my experience with it.

LADY GEMMA JANE
19-06-2015, 11:04
It's a handful 4 sure, but not undrivable

John Hargreaves
19-06-2015, 11:15
Since Doug made his changes in the last patch I think this one has really come to life. I love it actually, it feels to me quite like the Lotus 49 but that bit of downforce and better tyres means you can rag it that bit more. I agree it was a bit odd when the game shipped, but after Doug took it out for obedience training it became one of the stars of the game for me.

HeeseyChelmet
19-06-2015, 11:33
Yea man these cars were from a different time, a time when twenty five drivers would start every season in Formula One, and each year two or more of them would die. Lewis Hamilton goes round a corner, his back end slips a bit and he's like "crap I've lost 10,000th of a second". Fittipaldi's back end would slip and he'd be like "did I sign my will?"
I like the Lotus 78, that was the first 'ground effect' car in F1 that's why it handles like a dream.
I'd like to see the Brabham BT46b fan car the McLaren M23 and the six wheeled Tyrrell P34 as future DLC.

Love the 78!!

wyldanimal
19-06-2015, 16:48
First lap of the day after a 10 hour shift so not the greatest but still, looks pretty Driveable to me ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-ghCl1AkNk

Yeah, but you are using the driving AIDS, Traction, ABS, and Stability..
I think all the cars are easy to drive with the aids on.. Most of them become Stab the gas and steer.
That's not the point to a SIM title.. Turn of the AIDS...

***(PS. I do use them if I get in an On-line room and everyone else is ..
Why Not, they got Stability on, and can run you off track with no consequence.. )

Now go drive it with all of them turned off

Funny Story..
some of my first on-line experience
was, MAN, how the heck do they keep pushing me off track and they never loose control..
I get one wheel off, and I spin.. WTF..

Then I discovered they have Traction and Stability Control on..
So I turned them On..
Sort of Levels the Playing Field..
Yeah, they still try to push you off track, but Now I'm not Spinning out, and have a chance of holding my line.
I never retaliate, that's just bad sportsmanship.
But If they are going to use the Aids to run me off. I'm going to use them to Stay on track.

ImStylinOnYaBro
19-06-2015, 17:29
haven't tried this one yet, but i can't fathom it being worse than the 67 lotus. first time i hopped in that it was like an ice skating rink. however, little practice and you learn the car. on the other hand, if the ai was at 70, i feel like they'd fly away cuz you can't hardly touch the throttle.

BDR Daz
19-06-2015, 18:18
Yeah, but you are using the driving AIDS, Traction, ABS, and Stability..
I think all the cars are easy to drive with the aids on.. Most of them become Stab the gas and steer.
That's not the point to a SIM title.. Turn of the AIDS...

***(PS. I do use them if I get in an On-line room and everyone else is ..
Why Not, they got Stability on, and can run you off track with no consequence.. )

Now go drive it with all of them turned off

I only race online so hence I have them on but just for you I shall show you that this car is still driveable with them off ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M97w_V9lOF4

P.S I was 2 seconds faster WITHOUT assists :)

wyldanimal
19-06-2015, 23:04
I only race online so hence I have them on but just for you I shall show you that this car is still driveable with them off ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M97w_V9lOF4

P.S I was 2 seconds faster WITHOUT assists :)

nice driving.

i didn't say it was undriveable. all i meant, was to not use any aids when stating if a car is driveable or not.

I took it out in cockpit view, ran a 2:06.937 on silverstone.
Yes it drives quite nice once the tires get warm.

nothing wrong with using the aids if the room allows them...