PDA

View Full Version : Community events setup should be locked.

dyr_gl
09-05-2015, 22:20
Basically what title says. I was driving the Catalunya thing on default getting low 21s, I was told garage setups would be transfered... then I maxed aero, closed cooling, added camber, etc, and thatīs mid 20īs in a couple of laps with a setup that would be total crap for a race.

This shouldnīt happen, lock it to default (or to a sensible one) and let us just drive. Feels cheap going fast this way.

Andjem
09-05-2015, 22:27
Basically what title says. I was driving the Catalunya thing on default getting low 21s, I was told garage setups would be transfered... then I maxed aero, closed cooling, added camber, etc, and thatīs mid 20īs in a couple of laps with a setup that would be total crap for a race.

This shouldnīt happen, lock it to default (or to a sensible one) and let us just drive. Feels cheap going fast this way.

there is a difference between a qualifying (few laps) setup and a race setup - you wouldn't last long in a race with max boost pressure / closed cooling, yet you may be good for a scorching q lap - that's the point :)

dyr_gl
09-05-2015, 22:43
there is a difference between a qualifying (few laps) setup and a race setup - you wouldn't last long in a race with max boost pressure / closed cooling, yet you may be good for a scorching q lap - that's the point :)

I think itīs quite a lame approach to be forced to run a moving bomb to compete at an event. We all can move a few bars towards the fast side like apes, why not skipping that and get on just with the driving?

I wasnīt any better driver after running with the sidepods and the brake ducts closed (hitting restart every 5 laps to get away with it) yet I was half a second faster. That shouldnīt be the point of the event IMO.

dyr_gl
10-05-2015, 10:41
Right, so today I made further changes. My car lasts healthy 3 laps but I'm going faster still. To really maximize this mode you have to constantly restart session. This totally neeeds to be limited, not bothering with the mode anymore otherwise.

Bradbury
10-05-2015, 10:55
I understand that some people enjoy playing around with the setup, but I'm no fan of it myself. No matter how great a simulator is, these settings are still just digital parameters in a game and they will never truly reflect reality. To different sliders might work great individually, but combinations of different values might give totally unexpected results. This could work out both positively or negatively. Grinding to find a good setup is really sucking the fun out of the driving. I don't have the patience (or skill?) required, so I'll just stay out of these competitions.

dyr_gl
10-05-2015, 13:53
I understand that some people enjoy playing around with the setup, but I'm no fan of it myself. No matter how great a simulator is, these settings are still just digital parameters in a game and they will never truly reflect reality. To different sliders might work great individually, but combinations of different values might give totally unexpected results. This could work out both positively or negatively. Grinding to find a good setup is really sucking the fun out of the driving. I don't have the patience (or skill?) required, so I'll just stay out of these competitions.

Yes, in the end there's always dozens of exploits, stuff that is nonsense and should not work at all but it does in the games.

A "default setups only" optional tab in multiplayer games would be a great addition. Grinding a track to check the lower cooling levels you can afford is not my idea of fun.

And this particular kind of event (TT), due to its nature, should really not be accessible.