PDA

View Full Version : Hardcore or just flawed?

Drew1405
09-05-2015, 22:52
I don't know what is really going on with this game. I mean it's an amazing game but at the same time it's also really ridiculous!

I appreciate the realism of this game and you can't apply your Forza (or similar) driving styles to it with any success. You have to kind of relearn how to race and it all seems "slower" than you realise. I can live with that and I like the challenge. As an example though, just now I was racing a Ford Mustang on Brands Hatch. It was the second race of a 3 race season. My first race was great and I won. I had no issues with the car other than you have to be delicate with steering to not spin out. Realistic enough. In race two though it rained mid-race. Now I have driven in the rain before and know how to compensate. However in this race when it rained it was physically IMPOSSIBLE to play with any accuracy. Even on the straights, under only partial acceleration the car would veer wildly across the road and spin! I ended up having to finish the race by driving at around 30mph as any faster was impossible yet all the other AI cars were able to go significantly faster in the same conditions without spinning. That just seems wrong to me. Subsequently I dropped all the way back to last place and the result is my championship is ruined. Real fun killer. Believe me I know this is a hardcore game but this is more than that. Something isn't right. Slow down is also rendering the game unplayable in areas with only 30 cars yet the game claims to handle over 50?! Yeah right!

I'm on Xbox one.

This game could be up for sale on eBay very soon if this is going to be how the game always plays.

Roger Prynne
09-05-2015, 22:57
Did you pit and change to rain tires?

Drew1405
09-05-2015, 23:00

As stupid as this will sound, I considered that. My issue though is that it is a 5 lap race with a mandatory pit stop which I was called in for on lap 2. It started raining on lap 3. So it seems stupid to be expected to pit twice in a 5 lap race in which you'll then have no chance of winning when the other cars are able to still do top speeds without pitting for rain tires themselves. This is why I think the game is flawed. A victim of it's own realism.

Sir Green Day
09-05-2015, 23:03

Yeah! Its your fault.

There's no one single post on any forum, describing any issues with the XB1 version after all.

Oh wait.

You gotta love these WMD minions. They will defend this game to their grave. Its comical.

yusupov
09-05-2015, 23:07
hes a "minion" bc he asked if the driver was using rain tires while it was raining..k

Drew1405
09-05-2015, 23:10
Without people getting into an argument... does nobody think it seems flawed to be expected to pit twice in a 5 lap race when the other cars don't seem to need to though? That's my point.

YES I AM AUSSIE
09-05-2015, 23:11
I don't know what is really going on with this game. I mean it's an amazing game but at the same time it's also really ridiculous!

I appreciate the realism of this game and you can't apply your Forza (or similar) driving styles to it with any success. You have to kind of relearn how to race and it all seems "slower" than you realise. I can live with that and I like the challenge. As an example though, just now I was racing a Ford Mustang on Brands Hatch. It was the second race of a 3 race season. My first race was great and I won. I had no issues with the car other than you have to be delicate with steering to not spin out. Realistic enough. In race two though it rained mid-race. Now I have driven in the rain before and know how to compensate. However in this race when it rained it was physically IMPOSSIBLE to play with any accuracy. Even on the straights, under only partial acceleration the car would veer wildly across the road and spin! I ended up having to finish the race by driving at around 30mph as any faster was impossible yet all the other AI cars were able to go significantly faster in the same conditions without spinning. That just seems wrong to me. Subsequently I dropped all the way back to last place and the result is my championship is ruined. Real fun killer. Believe me I know this is a hardcore game but this is more than that. Something isn't right. Slow down is also rendering the game unplayable in areas with only 30 cars yet the game claims to handle over 50?! Yeah right!

I'm on Xbox one.

This game could be up for sale on eBay very soon if this is going to be how the game always plays.

You must realize the PRO NO ASSISTS physics model is totally unrealistic. Why devs choose this i don't know. Just select novice ALL ASSISTS and you'll love it wet or dry.

yusupov
09-05-2015, 23:12
btw, you say you have driven in the rain before, have you driven on SLICK tires in the rain before??

OP, the game basically put you in a lose-lose situation, if pitting was mandatory in a 5 lap race (dumb rule, or increase # of laps, altho i get why youd want to keep it short) and it starts raining right after you put, well, youve lost the race, thats that. you do NOT know how to compensate onin the wet on slicks because its not done. its not your fault for not being able to control the car in that situation bc cars are not raced in the wet on on slicks.

it sounds like one frustrating race but thats all, i wouldnt be discouraged. also if rain is in the forecast (is there a forecast??) save that pit stop!

Drew1405
09-05-2015, 23:13
You must realize the PRO NO ASSISTS physics model is totally unrealistic. Why devs choose this i don't know. Just select novice ALL ASSISTS and you'll love it wet or dry.

I actually do have all the assists on and this was still happening! lol!

yusupov
09-05-2015, 23:14
Without people getting into an argument... does nobody think it seems flawed to be expected to pit twice in a 5 lap race when the other cars don't seem to need to though? That's my point.

you chose the 5 lap race, when you saw it had a mandatory pit stop you couldve made it a more sensible length. but if you pitted at the wrong time it prob wouldnt have mattered & just drawn out the agony.

in this case you got f'd by circumstance. it happens to the very best! its NBD

Roger Prynne
09-05-2015, 23:15
As stupid as this will sound, I considered that. My issue though is that it is a 5 lap race with a mandatory pit stop which I was called in for on lap 2. It started raining on lap 3. So it seems stupid to be expected to pit twice in a 5 lap race in which you'll then have no chance of winning when the other cars are able to still do top speeds without pitting for rain tires themselves. This is why I think the game is flawed. A victim of it's own realism.
Ah sorry didn't realize it was only a 5 lap race in career mode..... must stop speed reading... :onthego:

Drew1405
09-05-2015, 23:20
I had other races where it rained mid-race and I was still on slicks and I was able to handle it so that's why this time was very odd. But above all that my main gripe here is WHY is it that when it rains it screws up my race unless I pit but other cars just keep going on slicks without any trouble? That particular aspect HAS to be a bug surely?! I mean it wouldn't happen in reality so why here?

YES I AM AUSSIE
09-05-2015, 23:22
I actually do have all the assists on and this was still happening! lol!

Hmmmmm. Have you set up the install screen to novice? This process dictates how EASY the cars are to control at all times. Many are selecting pro mode. Big mistake.

The Russian
09-05-2015, 23:22
So, how do u change when to pit? I'm on ps4 and my pit man says pit at end of 2nd lap of 5 lap race, been in to pit stop settings and not 1 for when to pit just what u want doing? Unless I'm missing something :D

Drew1405
09-05-2015, 23:24
Yep I'm on novice as well as all assists...

YES I AM AUSSIE
09-05-2015, 23:40
Yep I'm on novice as well as all assists...

Me too. Dunno why it's happening to you. Are you auto calibrating your ps4 controller? When you start your console the controller must be on level surface and absolutely still. Playstations have always required this otherwise you'll find some weird things going on. That's my experience.

Eric Bergeret
09-05-2015, 23:54
Yep I'm on novice as well as all assists...whit or whitout assist you can be novice, but for simulation you need to take only the assist the car really have, no assit will never be simulation or pro, just hardcore.
note for pad user: you should always change de steering ratio on the car setup for each car, steering too sensitive can be fatal.

So, how do u change when to pit? I'm on ps4 and my pit man says pit at end of 2nd lap of 5 lap race, been in to pit stop settings and not 1 for when to pit just what u want doing? Unless I'm missing something :D are you sure , you do have to pit in lap 2 , did you try to pit in lap 4 for exemple ;) .

TMoney
10-05-2015, 00:09
From what I've experience you can't drive with slicks on a wet track, it's near impossible. I don't know if still present, but there was a bug before release where my car wouldn't change to wet tires not matter what in the career mode. It took me a while to figure out why everyone was enjoying wet racing so much and I couldn't even drive in a straight line.

In the career I found it best NOT to pit on the 2nd lap as the race engineer suggests. Remember you can pit anytime from there on till before the last lap. I found it best to pit either lap 3 or 4 on a 5 lap race. There may be some bugs with AI and their pitting strategies and strangely you can end up losing a lot of places without being able to regain them if you pit right away. Also pay attention to the forecast and work that into your pit strategy for changing tires and when to pit.

Snipeuout
10-05-2015, 02:38
It's hardcore. You almost have to practice for a race and tune. Love it!

Mahjik
10-05-2015, 03:05
I had other races where it rained mid-race and I was still on slicks and I was able to handle it so that's why this time was very odd. But above all that my main gripe here is WHY is it that when it rains it screws up my race unless I pit but other cars just keep going on slicks without any trouble? That particular aspect HAS to be a bug surely?! I mean it wouldn't happen in reality so why here?

1. You can drive on wet payment with slicks and not have a problem. However, it depends on how wet the payment really is... If the payment is "damp", it will be a little slick in some spots (speaking real life) but manageable and will be faster. However, if there is relatively a decent amount of water on the track, slicks will be dangerous. Likely, one of your sessions had light rain and the other was a heavier rain variation.

2. The AI currently is a little too fast in the wet and they aren't as affected (tire wise) as they should be. It's been reported by the WMD community.

haydanjames
10-05-2015, 06:12
Just experienced that in the M1 Procar series at Zolder... Having a great race, sun shower drenched the track and the AI drove right by me if I were standing still... kind of ruined my mood and ended up turning the game off... Maybe we should be able to disable weather in career mode until this issue is sorted?

Mascot
10-05-2015, 07:10
Just experienced that in the M1 Procar series at Zolder... Having a great race, sun shower drenched the track and the AI drove right by me if I were standing still... kind of ruined my mood and ended up turning the game off... Maybe we should be able to disable weather in career mode until this issue is sorted?

I'd love the option to totally disable precipitation (not all weather - just the rain) in career races. I don't like racing in the wet, it can affect the framerate, it's pretty badly implemented (lots of guesswork involved with pit stops etc) and I don't think it looks particularly realistic on PS4. Having it forced on me at random is keeping me out of the career mode at the moment.

Bealdor
10-05-2015, 08:54
Hmmmmm. Have you set up the install screen to novice? This process dictates how EASY the cars are to control at all times. Many are selecting pro mode. Big mistake.

There are NO differences in the driving/handling model between the various modes! The only difference is what assists are turned on by default.

The Russian
10-05-2015, 11:52
are you sure , you do have to pit in lap 2 , did you try to pit in lap 4 for exemple ;) .
Well yeah he tells me to pit so I do, not tried just carrying on and pitting when I want just following orders sir

peregrine7
10-05-2015, 12:04
I think the AI need a serious tune up when it comes to racing in the rain (they can just drive almost the same speeds on slicks wet v dry! Yikes!). Rain got a good deal slippery-er about a hundred builds ago and since then it's been kinda unmatched re player vs AI.

Changing to wet tires is a MUST. Even then AI will probably be a little faster.

deadboy
10-05-2015, 12:56
For the guys complaining about slicks on rain: I guess you never heard of a driver called Jean Alesi. ;)

Don't know how the system handles the tires and brake temps and the tires wear when the race is scaled to 5 laps or less, but when you get out of the box you still have to bring up the tires and brakes temperatures. So if you were on slicks after the pit stop, they were also below the optimal temperature, same for brakes. In that case pushing hard on the throttle and the brakes will make you lose control.
Driving with the pad is not like driving with the wheel, so you are missing a lot of informations, you aren't really aware of the tires behaviour, for example you can't feel the progressive wear of the tires with the same detail and in real time like the guys who play with the steering wheel. You realize that the tires are wearing later compared to them.
The pad players need to be very carefull when driving on rain.
Anyway, 5 laps is really a short race, don't be in a hurry to reach the end of the career. Increase the number of the laps.

Joethe147
10-05-2015, 14:30
Something a bit related, no where says the current or expected air and track temperatures in-game? And there needs to be a decent weather forecast. Right now it seems you can only see what the weather is (apart from driving or looking on the monitor) by pausing the game.

unknwn
10-05-2015, 14:54
Just took RUF GT3 on the Donington national to test dry vs light rain (wet) laptimes. I have reduced downforce and some other tweaks to make the car more alive. Did 3 laps each. Result was 1:06 dry (with medium slicks) and 1:08 wet(rain tires). Actually driving on wet was easier and there was really low and easily controllable oversteer. Is this realistic?

AshenShugar
10-05-2015, 15:24
No one has considered tire temps in all of this. It takes a couple of laps just to get temp into your tires. In this situation you have a 5 lap race with a pitstop then it rains your on your outlap with cold slick in the rain. Your not going to have a good time of it.

Mahjik
10-05-2015, 15:25
Just took RUF GT3 on the Donington national to test dry vs light rain (wet) laptimes. I have reduced downforce and some other tweaks to make the car more alive. Did 3 laps each. Result was 1:06 dry (with medium slicks) and 1:08 wet(rain tires). Actually driving on wet was easier and there was really low and easily controllable oversteer. Is this realistic?

If you were on wet tires, somewhat yes.. Wet tires in general are very soft (typically softer than "soft dry" tires). The main difference is the amount of load you can hold when accelerating and braking (as well as corner load). Those are the pieces which influence your lap times as your test revealed.