PDA

View Full Version : Blown engine.......causes?

Feetabix
09-05-2015, 23:44
I've spent years on driving games ignoring a red line and driving to the rev limiter.........the engine in my e30 m3 has just popped on a hot lap of the ring, which was frustrating as I'd spent five laps warming everything up!........am I being punished for thrashing it too hard, or is this a random event built into the sim?........Darren

Patrick Kulinski
09-05-2015, 23:51
There's two major reasons:
- The engine is overheating which shouldn't be the case during hotlapping though... at stock settings, the cooling should be okay. After crashes in races, keep an eye at the water temperature to see whether the engine is close to overheating due to radiator damage. If this proves true, fixing the damage in the pits would be good.
- The engine is exposed to huge rev numbers. Could it be that you're downshifting too quickly, making the engine break the rev limiter? F.e. it's very easy destroying the 125cc kart's engine by driving at the rev limit and then, without braking, putting in a lower gear which kills it in an instant.

Feetabix
09-05-2015, 23:56
:D........it's great to be dealing with such stuff built into a sim to reflect real life!........I'm driving it like I stole it, so the over revving is a good place to start I think!.......thanks for the heads Up!

Patrick Kulinski
10-05-2015, 00:07
Golden rule: drive it like you own it :)

Feetabix
10-05-2015, 00:09
:glee:........I must calm down!........thanks for making me smile!.......

Aldo Zampatti
10-05-2015, 00:13
Golden rule: drive it like you own it :)

Best reply of the day :D Nice one Patrick!

Roger Prynne
10-05-2015, 00:23
Don't forget that this is a sim and if you dont drive it like you would IRL then sh*t will happen.... ;)

dyr_gl
10-05-2015, 00:57
Don't forget that this is a sim and if you dont drive it like you would IRL then sh*t will happen.... ;)

I donīt know if itīs true. Youtube is flooded with videos of people that canīt downshift properly for their life. Nothing happens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuNK3kx9ZRo

Half of these shifts would be rejected by the software in a real car. And without the software rejecting it, that car wouldnīt go too far.

Joethe147
10-05-2015, 04:05
How do blown engines happen in an automatic? You're not shifting gears yourself, so is there any consequence there with regards to gears?

Neil Hopwood
10-05-2015, 05:13
How do blown engines happen in an automatic? You're not shifting gears yourself, so is there any consequence there with regards to gears?

Been a long time since I drove automatic in game, but it seems to shift a bit earlier than I do so your not getting quite the full rev range.

/I could be wrong, like I said it been a while and I'm going from watch a buddy try to drive.

Aldo Zampatti
10-05-2015, 07:59

An engine can overheat, for example, even in auto-mode. Or if it's a turbo, you might be pushing the wastegate too far and that will reduce lifespan of the engine, maybe too much. :)

msmith1
10-05-2015, 09:12
This is a great feature in the game to add realism. I tend to do a few 'warming up laps' before setting my fast lap times, or if I'm in a race every now and again I try not to drive so hard.

LukasHabberto
10-05-2015, 09:44
This is something I am REALLY struggling with. I'm shifting as I would in real life but popping engines constantly. I'm struggling to be competitive on longer straights because I am religiously shifting in the green or just as it hits yellow, and I'm slow into corners because I'm struggling to give myself time to slow and shift 'safely'. Something just to get used to or is there a certain solution I can try?

Doctor Doom
10-05-2015, 09:48
I have a G27 wheel. I often blow the engine driving on the long track on Nurburgring (Nordschleife) track. Usually I make it to the last 3,000 meters before the engine goes up in smoke.

David Hurt
10-05-2015, 10:23
I have a related question: last night the engineer told me, at the pit stop, something like "the clutch is broken. We're trying to fix it, but it we can't, it'll be a stopper".

Was the clutch broken due to my bad driving skills?

Doctor Doom
10-05-2015, 10:50
I think excessive crashing into walls during a hot lap also leads to a blown engine. Since this game is brand new, they can't expect us all to be expert drivers. I actually enjoy wrecking engines. I feel satisfied when I blow and engine.

IXBEEFXI
10-05-2015, 11:17
Yet to blow an engine but did run out of fuel because I wasn't checking properly :rolleyes:

NitroPower
10-05-2015, 11:24
ive been fine with engine problems but ive over heated the breaks a couple of times in F1

Rozza91
10-05-2015, 13:14
I blew my engine in the Ford rs auto on california highway track to much damage was the cause as I had no engine I got Disqualified rolling back down the hill

Artwebber
10-05-2015, 16:37
i blew my engine in the 125cc karts by reving it to redline so now i shift way before that and its fine

Umer Ahmad
10-05-2015, 16:46
Some good project cars physics reading for all of you

http://en.pcars.shoutwiki.com/wiki/Physics

Jason Ganz
10-05-2015, 17:11
IF you drive the cars in pCARS like a moron, and you have damage set to full or performance affecting, expect that things will go "BOOM!" if you expect to be able to drive like you did in Forza or GT6.

Aldo Zampatti
10-05-2015, 17:19
One quick advice if you're consistently blowing your engine, check your Water and Oil Teps, if they're too high (i.e.: above 115C) try open up radiator to a higher % That should cool things down

Initia1 B
10-05-2015, 18:08
:D........it's great to be dealing with such stuff built into a sim to reflect real life!........I'm driving it like I stole it, so the over revving is a good place to start I think!.......thanks for the heads Up!

Blew my 1st engine today, Mustang Cobra Trans Am. Over revving for sure lol

brettz0r
11-05-2015, 01:10
I think damaging your car seems to be the biggest reason my engines blew.
I couldn't do a single lap in one race without it blowing (started mid pack and ended up hitting slow AI grouping up on corners) this happened 4 restarts in a row and early shifting didn't fix it. Nor did later down shifting.

Having no damage seemed to make all the difference.

TMoney
11-05-2015, 01:15
Yup aero damage is connected to radiator damage. This will cause increased water temp and could result in a blown engine.

The damage system surely could use some tweaks since aero/radiator damage is currently very sensitive which is opposite to other forms of damage which could be more sensitive.

TenthDan
11-05-2015, 01:36
Another tip is choose a time of day that's cooler: i.e. morning. Also watch that hotter tracks like Dubai will affect engine heating.

You can also adjust the radiator setting in the car setup to allow more air, which will keep the engine cooler but give a bit less performance.

Aldo Zampatti
11-05-2015, 01:40
Another tip is choose a time of day that's cooler: i.e. morning. Also watch that hotter tracks like Dubai will affect engine heating.

You can also adjust the radiator setting in the car setup to allow more air, which will keep the engine cooler but give a bit less performance.

Blame real life :) right?

superchargedk20
13-05-2015, 03:54
One quick advice if you're consistently blowing your engine, check your Water and Oil Teps, if they're too high (i.e.: above 115C) try open up radiator to a higher % That should cool things down

I was going to do this. But the radiator option is locked . Is it only for certain cars that you can change it? Alot of tuning options are locked actually

Aldo Zampatti
13-05-2015, 05:17
I was going to do this. But the radiator option is locked . Is it only for certain cars that you can change it? Alot of tuning options are locked actually

Yup, car-dependant.

What car was it? Other cars have the RESTRICTOR option, you can lower that down a tad too (it'll reduce power though). You can do qualy at full power and lower it down for race

Nightauditor
13-05-2015, 16:05
I have been popping engines like popcorn in the final release so I just deactivated the damage. The game either is a little too sensitive or the default setup values for some cars mabye a bit restrictive.

Suburban Coot
13-05-2015, 16:26
There's two major reasons:
- The engine is overheating which shouldn't be the case during hotlapping though... at stock settings, the cooling should be okay. After crashes in races, keep an eye at the water temperature to see whether the engine is close to overheating due to radiator damage. If this proves true, fixing the damage in the pits would be good.
- The engine is exposed to huge rev numbers. Could it be that you're downshifting too quickly, making the engine break the rev limiter? F.e. it's very easy destroying the 125cc kart's engine by driving at the rev limit and then, without braking, putting in a lower gear which kills it in an instant.
water temperature/ The engine is overheating /radiator damage. Are you serious? That kind of stuff can actually happen in this game? Oh man! Thats amazing!

Suburban Coot
13-05-2015, 16:28

it's great to be dealing with such stuff built into a sim to reflect real life! Nuff said.

Aldo Zampatti
13-05-2015, 16:34
Yes yes yes and... yes :)