PDA

View Full Version : the Formula A cars are really hard to control.

Mike 1982
10-05-2015, 00:23
everyone keeps spinning out.

yusupov
10-05-2015, 00:24
dont accelerate so hard in low gears

Mike 1982
10-05-2015, 00:24
will try that thanks.

Padmod
10-05-2015, 00:35
Can we get a sticky for posts like this? As I have said in other threads, the Formula 1 cars (old and modern) are characterised by their massive amounts of power and torque. You can't just put your foot down off the line or out of a corner and expect it to stay glued to the road, especially not with the classic cars that lack the downforce and grip. Be progressive on the throttle.

yusupov
10-05-2015, 00:36
one more bit of advice is to shift early in the lower gears, dont worry about getting to full revs, you negate wheelspin this way

Good Times
10-05-2015, 01:05
Formula A cars are the best. Persevere, once you're into it, you'll find it hard to go back to a GT or similar car with their lesser brakes and handling, let alone power!

Yep short-shift. Stay in 1st for half a second, short to 2nd then 3rd. Once you're in 3rd, you're fine. Are you using a wheel or the PS control pad?

Mike 1982
10-05-2015, 01:09
I am using the control pad. It is weird - yesterday I did a race in them and literally everyone was spinning out on every corener, but just now I did a race in them and my car seemed much easier to control. Maybe the race yesterday when everyone was spinning out did not allow driving aides ...

Skrillex
10-05-2015, 09:07
As much as I want to find a league to run with online I think the first weekend I will stick to offline just to get used to this games version of formula cars with assists on and off. I raced all the f1 games from codemasters but I am not sure how this game may differ quite yet

Psychomatrix
19-05-2015, 22:57
I think the codemaster games are no simulation at all. Here in formula you feel how fast, quick and sensitive a formel 1 is. so you simply need practise to become one with the car.

BORIStheBLADE1
19-05-2015, 23:54
For me I baby the gas for the first two laps then I usually have more control

ukfan758
20-05-2015, 01:54
Just be easy with the throttle, another part of the problem may be that the tires/tyres are cold (blue) or too hot (red).

kekke2000
20-05-2015, 03:55
Watch Monaco GP this weekend. See how many drivers who floors it off the line. Hamilton usually dont even light up the dash until 3rd gear.

Shogun613
20-05-2015, 05:42
Pretty much agree with everybody here, be easy on the throttle coming out of the corners. These cars are an absolute blast to drive and the best class to compete in online, IMO.

SL1DE
20-05-2015, 07:40
everyone keeps spinning out.

Everyone needs to learn how to drive.

It's called throttle control, ever hear of that?

SL1DE
20-05-2015, 07:43
Watch Monaco GP this weekend. See how many drivers who floors it off the line. Hamilton usually dont even light up the dash until 3rd gear.

Correct. They don't floor it, they go half - three quarter throttle. Half in first gear, then gradually pressing the loud pedal harder and harder as they gain speed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50zlO8GhI-E

Watch the throttle. (Using 2011 footage because pCARS is based on the 2011 season)

MrStef85
20-05-2015, 07:56
Be easy on the throttle..

GitRirish
20-05-2015, 13:39
You can setup your car to counter this. Play with your limited slip settings as well trial and error, practise.

HarryHoodlum
20-05-2015, 13:44
I drove a Formula A car to my first online win last night. Was a night map, in the rain, no headlights and people crashing everywhere. Got rammed right off the line, wound up in 16th place. I usually started from 2nd or 3rd gear, upshifted early, and blew by everyone by lap 3. It's a matter of not punching the throttle completely in 1st or 2nd gear. If you're using and auto tranny, then I suppose just be easy on the throttle, but I wouldn't recommend using auto.

yusupov
20-05-2015, 13:51
Correct. They don't floor it, they go half - three quarter throttle. Half in first gear, then gradually pressing the loud pedal harder and harder as they gain speed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50zlO8GhI-E

Watch the throttle. (Using 2011 footage because pCARS is based on the 2011 season)

nice post, agreed but regarding the coming off the line thing, they have specialized start modes in F1 that arent replicated in sims; but if you watch how they start the wheels begin by just rolling off the line, once they hit a certain RPM they start flying. im not sure the best way to start an F1 car in sims, wouldnt mind seeing someone who knows advise, as ive never really tried it tbh (i dont race those things :D)

but yeah coming out of corners etc, if you arent using assists you have to be very careful on the throttle.

yusupov
20-05-2015, 13:53
You can setup your car to counter this. Play with your limited slip settings as well trial and error, practise.

limited slip is traction control, which isnt allowed if you are doing real or no assists. but if youre on a gamepad especially i would probably recommend using that.

djmky
20-05-2015, 14:00
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DB4k-yFWTr4

I am having the same problem. I think moving away from arcade style racing, its taking time for me to adapt to not holding down that accelerator trigger (R2). I need to find a way for the steering to not be as twitchy. Without doubt ill need to read up more on the settings. The assumption that I can drive without going into settings is an illusion that I need to snap out from :)

TheLethalDose
20-05-2015, 14:01
limited slip is traction control, which isnt allowed if you are doing real or no assists. but if youre on a gamepad especially i would probably recommend using that.

I think he might mean the diff settings.

GitRirish
20-05-2015, 14:14
I think he might mean the diff settings.

Thank you for the correction that is definitely what I had meant to say.

Umer Ahmad
20-05-2015, 14:17
Yes, a differential is a mechanical component to control the rotational speed difference Left v Right

Traction Control is electronic component that typically cuts or reduces throttle when there is too much wheel spin.

MiZtErNiCe
20-05-2015, 16:46
i dived straight in to formula a when i got the game and also found it hard to control the car using the ps4 gamepad, i think it was because i was used to arcade style driving games and not a full on simulator. So i spent some time in free practice at the spa and nordschleife and started going through the different car setup options in the pit, i only changed settings on the car and not the gamepad, what i changed was the downforce put it up front and rear, slowed down the steering rack speed, changed the brake mapping to help with slower corners, lowered the fuel load and finally after a few hours i was happy with how it was driving. The biggest gains in time especially at nordschleife was increasing the aero front and rear and slowing the steering rack, it was far too twitchy before and i kept spinning even going in a straight line but at very fast speeds (190-200mph). hope this helps you.

TheStigsCanadianCousin
20-05-2015, 16:54
You also really gotta take it easy for the first half of a lap depending on the track. Once your tires warm up you can take corners at higher speeds and don't have to be quiiiite so careful on the gas. I'm loving the F-A car.

MiZtErNiCe
20-05-2015, 17:04
You also really gotta take it easy for the first half of a lap depending on the track. Once your tires warm up you can take corners at higher speeds and don't have to be quiiiite so careful on the gas. I'm loving the F-A car.
when i came out the pit the engineer told me to take it easy and warm up the brakes and tyres so i clicked on the d-pad to bring up the telemetry option and the brakes were way down at 200 degrees so i got them up to 1000 and they worked a dream. this games really does give a great perspective of speed the formula a car is so damn fast its great. 1st and 2nd gear are exactly as you'd expect-got to be careful on the gas! I'm also loving the F-A car, enough to say this is the best racing game/sim ever made for any console.

BSDShoes
20-05-2015, 17:36
Formula A's are among the easiest for me to control, the Caterham and BAC Mono is more work.

Just feather the throttle in first and second gears, don't let the rpm meter hit red in those gears and you should be fine. Also cold tires (blue markers on the UI) are a factor too, drive with care until they turn green.